PDA

View Full Version : Matt Lawrence transfer listed

ThisIsDoM
17-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Just got an official text saying; Neil Warnock has revealed that defender Matt Lawrence has been transfer listed.

kolinkins
17-09-2009, 02:19 PM
What's the point of listing someone 2 weeks into a transfer shut down period?

His twitter has been very quiet for 2 days, mind....

dannyboy1807
17-09-2009, 02:20 PM
suddenly things have brighten up at the Palace

Sussex Eagle
17-09-2009, 02:20 PM
What's the point of listing someone 2 weeks into a transfer shut down period?
Loan-to-buy deal, same way we got Hill etc. Some hope.

ThisIsDoM
17-09-2009, 02:33 PM
I know Millwall were after him but we didn't want to sell as NW was worried about our lack of defenders. Maybe with Claude in and Lawrence's performance against Scunthorpe, he would now be willing to let him go.

howard
17-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Upon the official site now.

Sussex Eagle
17-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Lawrence Transfer Listed
Posted on: Thu 17 Sep 2009

Neil Warnock has exclusively revealed to the club's official website that defender Matt Lawrence has been placed on the transfer list.

Speaking first to www.cpfc.co.uk Neil revealed that it was a mutual decision:

"We feel that is time for Matt to have a change of scene so we have put his name on the transfer list.

"Matt and I had a chat in the week and we agreed that he should be playing every week, which is something that we will not be able to offer him at Crystal Palace."

Psychokiller
2 years too late

wedgetail
I know Millwall were after him but we didn't want to sell as NW was worried about our lack of defenders. Maybe with Claude in and Lawrence's performance against Scunthorpe, he would now be willing to let him go.
How would Lawrence going reduce our number of defenders?

kolinkins
17-09-2009, 02:37 PM
"Matt and I had a chat in the week and we agreed that he should be playing every week, which is something that we will not be able to offer him at Crystal Palace."

Phew.

Should shut a few people up.

I fell a bit sorry for Matty now - not like he did anythign on purpose. Still, not good enough for this level.

Wycombe should be compelled to sign him

andrew
17-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Brilliant news

Baldy
17-09-2009, 02:41 PM
:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:

james powell
17-09-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm (most certainly) not Matts' biggest fan. However it's always sad to see someone be transfer listed who gives their all every week (ok, most weeks).
Sad to see him go, but also a little glad.

howard
17-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Does this actually mean he has played his last game for us or, will he still, get picked to keep him fit?

philsick
17-09-2009, 02:44 PM
He's not good enough,but this is a bit scapegoatish IMO.

James
17-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I feel sorry for the guy. I hope he finds a Club whose fans will appreciate him.

Watson's My Cat
17-09-2009, 02:48 PM

Is the more sensible option to not transfer-list him then, in your opinion?

UEAgle
17-09-2009, 02:49 PM
NW trying to appease the fans?

kolinkins
17-09-2009, 02:49 PM

Or righting some wrongs?

either way, it isnt a bad thing.

stamford triumph
17-09-2009, 02:50 PM

Maybe we should start a pole on who we might use as the next scapegoat. Oh hang on Butterfield is still here.... Phew, I thought we might not find an easy target at which to direct our ire.

sw16girl
17-09-2009, 02:50 PM
He seems a really nice bloke who always tried his best but was often just not good enough. I hope he finds a club at a lower level where he can carry on playing for a couple more years.

Voldo
17-09-2009, 02:52 PM
I bet he plays saturday though and will have a blinder.

Chin up Matty

UEAgle
17-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Or righting some wrongs?

either way, it isnt a bad thing.

If it's a case of NW righting some wrongs, he's a bloody slow learner.

RDSdaEAGLE
17-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Good luck in finding a new club Matty, and thanks for your efforts :)

Barbara4003
17-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Aaawww - I feel sorry for him :(

I hate seeing nice people leave Palace.

Webb
17-09-2009, 02:58 PM
It's besides the point he may be a nice bloke, and decent to have around the dressing room. The simple fact is he's not good enough, and hasn't been for a while now. There is no room for sentiment at the moment.

He'll have something to offer a lower League One or League Two club for another season prehaps. Championship? No way.

cpfcfan1
17-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Strange, what with Davis out for a while Matty is good cover.

Best of luck, not my favourite player but hope you find a club

PauLo
17-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I feel sorry for the guy. I hope he finds a Club whose fans will appreciate him.

Couldn't agree more.

Owngoal
17-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Should never have been given a 2 year contract extension in the first place, with his age and ability against him. I'm sick of us having over the hill players desite them being 'nice'. The best we can hope for is to mutually cancel his contract so he can go, if money exchanges hands it would not be us getting it. I wish him luck but hope we at last learn our lesson when the extension of Derry comes up (he is not that good but I suppose there is little chance of us going up at the moment anyway where he would be out of his league). We can never get the right people to sign (Watson, Clinton and Hudson).

Perry Suckling
17-09-2009, 03:01 PM
He'll have something to offer a lower League One or League Two club for another season prehaps. Championship? No way.

Oh go on, will mean 1 less relegation spot for us to occupy at the end of the season

:lux:

Mike Douglas
17-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Always seemed to try his best so thanks, particularly for last season.
Does this mean Ertl finally gets a centre half chance or is it a shuffle with Hills coming in?

palacemaniac
17-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Fantastic news

dannyturner
17-09-2009, 03:08 PM
We will have to play him every week to put him in the shop window!

cpfcfan1
17-09-2009, 03:08 PM
CRYSTAL Palace manager Neil Warnock has put central defender Matt Lawrence on the transfer list.

Lawrence has been under pressure at the club for some while, with many supporters feeling that the experienced defender simply isn't up to Championship football.

The last straw came at the weekend when Lawrence was badly at fault for Scunthorpe's first goal in their 4-0 romp at Selhurst Park.

Warnock said: "We feel it is time for Matt to have a change of scene. Matt and I had a chat in the week and we agreed that he should be playing every week which is something we can't offer him at Crystal Palace."

budgie
17-09-2009, 03:14 PM

I too feel a little sorry for him, however I feel that the fans here did appreciate him, they just appreciated that although he gave his all, it wasn't enough. Hopefully he'll go to a level he's good enough to play at.

rainbow_child
17-09-2009, 03:14 PM
All it means is some one else will now step forward as the new player to be slated every week when he leaves. :rolleyes:

Gark Moldberg
17-09-2009, 03:15 PM
What I find odd is that Palace have put this out on the official site. Its one thing to list him, another to go (very) public about it. Unless they think that the only way to let Millwall know is to advertise in in the 'for sale' section of the South London Press.

Lambeth Palace
17-09-2009, 03:16 PM

Agreed. I could understand the villification if he wasn't putting the effort in.

Dobbo
17-09-2009, 03:22 PM
St Dunstan's best bet

AJ's right boot
17-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Hope we dont accept anything less than £1m.

Sandowneagle
17-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Hands up who'd like him sent to Ipswich as payment for the Lee money and the embargo removed.

kolinkins
17-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Hands up who'd like him sent to Ipswich as payment for the Lee money and the embargo removed.

ME

Barbara4003
17-09-2009, 03:25 PM

Is that likely to happen or was that a joke?

:confused:

AJ's right boot
17-09-2009, 03:26 PM
I wonder what we would accept for him? £50k?

Benzhiyi
17-09-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm (most certainly) not Matts' biggest fan. However it's always sad to see someone be transfer listed who gives their all every week (ok, most weeks).
Sad to see him go, but also a little glad.

What this man said.

He's clearly not good enough to be playing week in week out, but he's always given 100% and the way some fans have treated him is nothing short of disgusting.

Penstone Eagle
17-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Maybe all the stick he got should have been directed at the person responsible for team selection, he always tried his best and put a few others to shame in that respect. I don't believe he is good enough, buck stops with NW for putting him in the team and the same can be said for some of his other selections.

stevek
17-09-2009, 03:39 PM
I think Warnock’s treatment of Lawrence has been bizarre. He kept playing him in the early part of last season when he had other options and when Lawrence wasn’t fully fit and as a result his form dropped massively from the previous year and has never really recovered (although he did play better when called upon later in the season). And now this season, when the whole defence has been awful, he seems to be putting all the blame on Lawrence and has transfer listed him.

Not saying that putting Matt on the list is the wrong thing to do, but I do think the inconsistent treatment is bizarre and, to be frank, not very fair on Matt.

TopKnot
17-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Seems like a weird time to be transfer listing him, a few weeks after the window has closed - he is hardly likely to be worth anything significant and what with the transfer embargo, was useful backup in case anything happens to Fonte/Paddy/Davis. Odd.

kolinkins
17-09-2009, 03:43 PM
I think Warnock’s treatment of Lawrence has been bizarre. He kept playing him in the early part of last season when he had other options and when Lawrence wasn’t fully fit and as a result his form dropped massively from the previous year and has never really recovered (although he did play better when called upon later in the season). And now this season, when the whole defence has been awful, he seems to be putting all the blame on Lawrence and has transfer listed him.

Not saying that putting Matt on the list is the wrong thing to do, but I do think the inconsistent treatment is bizarre and, to be frank, not very fair on Matt.

Maybe he had enough of Matty hoofing?

Gollum
17-09-2009, 03:47 PM
CRYSTAL Palace manager Neil Warnock has put central defender Matt Lawrence on the transfer list.

Lawrence has been under pressure at the club for some while, with many supporters feeling that the experienced defender simply isn't up to Championship football.

The last straw came at the weekend when Lawrence was badly at fault for Scunthorpe's first goal in their 4-0 romp at Selhurst Park.

Warnock said: "We feel it is time for Matt to have a change of scene. Matt and I had a chat in the week and we agreed that he should be playing every week which is something we can't offer him at Crystal Palace."

Euphemism for "we've had an explosive row about your contribution for at least 2 of Scunny's goals on saturday and you're out, son".....

E_girl
17-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Discuss...

etu
17-09-2009, 04:07 PM
About time.

This best not be a joke. Its cruel to get people's hopes up like that. ;)

I feel sorry for Matty, who's been a whole hearted pro for us and done a good job for a couple of seasons. But the last two he hasn't really been up to it - although injuries might have had a lot to do with that - and its about time he was moved on from this level.

Best of luck in future to him, but I feel he has to go.

orp pisshead1
17-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Gets far too much abuse but with hindsight he should've left pre season. Good luck to him if he moves.

Richard
17-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Discuss...
Wrong forum ?

Richard
17-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Oh, and got way more abuse than he deserved, but many of our "supporters" have to have a scapegoat figure. Wonder who it'll be next ?

E_girl
17-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Wrong forum ?

Why though? He's a current player.

palacemaniac
17-09-2009, 04:15 PM
What I find odd is that Palace have put this out on the official site. Its one thing to list him, another to go (very) public about it. Unless they think that the only way to let Millwall know is to advertise in in the 'for sale' section of the South London Press.

This maybe Warnock's way of showing the fans he is trying to change things

stevek
17-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Maybe he had enough of Matty hoofing?But in that case (a) why now and (b) why now given all the back four seem to be hoofers this season.

stevek
17-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Why though? He's a current player.

'Transfer' is the clue.

jams1234
17-09-2009, 04:19 PM
This isn't HOL...

When did he sign his extension? Hilarious decision.

Super Mabbutt
17-09-2009, 04:27 PM
About time.

This best not be a joke. Its cruel to get people's hopes up like that. ;)

I feel sorry for Matty, who's been a whole hearted pro for us and done a good job for a couple of seasons. But the last two he hasn't really been up to it - although injuries might have had a lot to do with that - and its about time he was moved on from this level.

Best of luck in future to him, but I feel he has to go.

No joke.

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10323~1800042,00.html

hilairehair
17-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Good luck to the bloke. Some of his performances for Palace have been top-class. He probably saved us a point a few weeks ago at Peterborough. Consistency has been the problem for a while now, though.

Swanny32
17-09-2009, 04:33 PM
If you ever needed convincing that there is a God then this is it! I'm going to start praying for an inspirational Derry to return or to go completely and for Freddy Sears to start banging in some goals!

bern5161
17-09-2009, 04:52 PM
not sure what this is all about. appeasing the fans? i thought everyone was up for sale

GodstoneEagle
17-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Just a sensation of relief. Washing over me.

pedro
17-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Just got an official text saying; Neil Warnock has revealed that defender Matt Lawrence has been transfer listed.
The problem is that the transfer window has already closed for Premier League teams and the big four have already had to announce their Champions League squads so I cannot see anything happening until January.

Maidstoned Eagle
17-09-2009, 05:38 PM
ME
I would?

Barbara4003
17-09-2009, 05:41 PM
The problem is that the transfer window has already closed for Premier League teams and the big four have already had to announce their Champions League squads so I cannot see anything happening until January.

:D

Maidstoned Eagle
17-09-2009, 05:44 PM
His Twitter says "Been told to sling my hook, I kicked the gaffer in disgust, I missed. Bloody BBS!"

Barbara4003
17-09-2009, 05:48 PM
His Twitter says "Been told to sling my hook, I kicked the gaffer in disgust, I missed. Bloody BBS!"

Does it really say that?

:eek:

kolinkins
17-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Does it really say that?

:eek:

No, it says:

Back on twitter at last. Much love to Neil Harris for his testimonial golf day yesterday. Had a blast!! Good to catch up with old friends!!

eagle101
17-09-2009, 05:50 PM

:D

middleeagle
17-09-2009, 05:53 PM
hopefully this will shut the couple of idiots up at the back of block b and prove to them that not only the fans think hes not good enough, the manager does now too.

Malakite
17-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Lawrence Transfer Listed
Posted on: Thu 17 Sep 2009

Neil Warnock has exclusively revealed to the club's official website that defender Matt Lawrence has been placed on the transfer list.

Speaking first to www.cpfc.co.uk Neil revealed that it was a mutual decision:

"We feel that is time for Matt to have a change of scene so we have put his name on the transfer list.

What is Warnock talking about he DOES play him every week!

pumaspalace
17-09-2009, 05:58 PM
get in! but why have we left it so long?

doof
17-09-2009, 06:01 PM
When he has had a run of games he is a very solid defender as it wasn't that long ago when he was one of our best defenders having played most of the season at centre back but I don't think playing here and there suits him at all. He would be great for a League 1 team and give them a couple of years good service.

I think most fans are very hard on him - overall he hardly cost us anything and proved to be a valuable squad member and he gave us a great service.

EddieEdwards
17-09-2009, 06:01 PM
What is Warnock talking about he DOES play him every week!:confused:
He's had two starts (one when Fonte was injured and one when McCarthy was suspended) and one sub appearance in eight games this season.

Jason
17-09-2009, 06:16 PM
When he has had a run of games he is a very solid defender as it wasn't that long ago when he was one of our best defenders having played most of the season at centre back but I don't think playing here and there suits him at all. He would be great for a League 1 team and give them a couple of years good service.

I think most fans are very hard on him - overall he hardly cost us anything and proved to be a valuable squad member and he gave us a great service.

Probably about right. Solid low cost squad player for two years, and for value at least probably actually PTs best signing (which is in itself telling). Age had obviously caught up with him last year though (as can happen very suddenly at that stage in a career), and it seemed an odd decision to keep him on for this season. That said, perhaps NW felt that the job that Lawrence did for this club in the previous two years meant that he'd earned the benefit of the doubt in respect of a contract for this year

This is the right decision imho, but rather than the derision he will get from some, Matt Lawrence deserves to leave this club with our thanks and best wishes

Psychokiller
17-09-2009, 06:25 PM
There are easier ways of starting a Mexican wave.

jobiinthelastmi
17-09-2009, 06:26 PM
He is 3 years past anything close to being Championship level.

Now we have Davis, Lawrence serves no purpose.

Brummie Allan
17-09-2009, 06:32 PM
No, it says:

Back on twitter at last. Much love to Neil Harris for his testimonial golf day yesterday. Had a blast!! Good to catch up with old friends!!He's previous one on 15th was "Still writing!! Slowly but surely learning how to use more than two fingers to type....if anyone's looking for a receptionist!??!" looks like he's looking for a job outside football

Mike Elwiss
17-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Looks like a scapegoat to me . Hill and especially Butterfield were far worse on Saturday

Richard
17-09-2009, 07:28 PM
not sure what this is all about. appeasing the fans? i thought everyone was up for sale
Quite. Scapegoat.

trufan
17-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Looks like a scapegoat to me . Hill and especially Butterfield were far worse on Saturday

Thought Butts did OK for the first 20 minutes. Largely won the aerial battle with their left winger, who their keeper repeatedly looked for with his clearances. Sadly, once the goals started flooding in, everyone in a Palace shirt looked lost. Including many of the fans! :(

gold76
17-09-2009, 07:56 PM
feel sorry for him
stalwart pro, but not up to it at this level
a parting of the ways is best for both parties

LeeH
17-09-2009, 08:09 PM
I guess that if he's being allowed to go now, Palace must have agreed to cancel his existing contract in order to allow him to move on outside of the transfer window?

Good luck Matt, hope you find success elsewhere, except against us

Son of Ron
17-09-2009, 08:09 PM
nice guy, relatively intelligent for a footballer too, family man, and coming towards the end of his career - so hope he finds someone to take him on.....I know he's not up to scratch anymore but I think he always tried his best despite his limitations and thats all you can really ask of anyone. Cheers Matt.

100% Palace
17-09-2009, 08:11 PM
This'll solve our financial problems! Come on Mr Perez, get your cheque book out!

Billy Rhino
17-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I knew it! Conclusive proof if ever it was needed that Jordan is selling off our best players...

There better be international appearance add ons etc.

Chobham Eagle
17-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Oh, and got way more abuse than he deserved, but many of our "supporters" have to have a scapegoat figure. Wonder who it'll be next ?

Bloody well better not be Danny Butterfield!

Young Trolley
17-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Can't believe there are too many supporters who will appreciate a player who regularly costs them goals and points with his ineptitude?

Never been good anough for us or this level

Eric Young 83
17-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Hopefully he goes back to his beloved Millwall. Thats definately the level of football he should be playing at.

Thanks for the effort Matt but you were utterly crap.

David Amsalem
17-09-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm glad that he has been transfer listed but the manner in which it has been done, is a disgrace.

Announcing it on the official website? WTF? Which other clubs do that?

What ever happened to transfer listing a player and faxing clubs who maybe interested?

This is Warnock trying to appease the fans, no doubt.

kolinkins
17-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Perhaps

Maybe Warnock listing somebody known as a favourite is also a message to the rest of the players?

David Amsalem
17-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Maybe, but I'm sure that they would have been aware regardless of whether or not it was posted on the official website.

Crunchie
17-09-2009, 10:00 PM
It is a shame that a few fans forget the defensive unit of Butterfield, Lawrence, Hudson, and Hill that got us into the playoffs, infront of a great keeper. Didnt we concede the least amount of goals away that season? Not a bad feat, when you consider how leaky we were until November under Taylor.

Thank you Lenny for all the great performances then.

However i think you will provide great experience for a league 2 side for your professionalism and intelligence on the game.

Thanks for all yor efforts and good luck in the future (but i do think it is now best if both parties move on).

gallery sex god
17-09-2009, 10:09 PM
genuine guy, treated shoddily.

Popester
17-09-2009, 10:09 PM
I liked him as a person but am quite pleased to know he is on the way out. He was not the most passionate of players and was certainly not one of the best. Even though I am pleasantly surprised by this news I do hope he finds a clun soon. Sadly for him I feel a 9 iron might be the outcome.

PalaceSince2004
17-09-2009, 10:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdRyNea19PE&feature=fvw

Freddy Kurz
17-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Quite. Scapegoat.

An ill-thought-out, cheap, knee-jerk shot.

He will also be among Palace's higher earners, and in their present parlous
financial position, moving him on would save the club well over £20k per
month in wages, at a time when they have a more accomplished centre-
back, Davis, on good wages, waiting to take his place........

With Palace's home gates drifting below 13,000, this makes both good
financial and football sense.

Have always liked Lawrence, as a player and a person, who possesses
an above-average intellect for a professional-footballer, and I wish him
every success at his future club, where he will be a valuable asset, but
probably playing in a lower League. He could also earn a living as a
sports journalist, although this is probably not the best time to be
joining that profession.

He will certainly have a better chance of playing regular football at
another club, and deserves to do so, as Neil Warnock has correctly
pointed out.

limited_edition
17-09-2009, 10:40 PM
It is a shame that a few fans forget the defensive unit of Butterfield, Lawrence, Hudson, and Hill that got us into the playoffs, infront of a great keeper. Didnt we concede the least amount of goals away that season? Not a bad feat, when you consider how leaky we were until November under Taylor.While he was passable in the Play Off season (Fonte figured frequently in the run in to the Play Offs instead of Lenny), last season and indeed this season was a season too far for him. Thank God he's finally on the list, but it was ridiculous to offer him a new contract last season in the first place.

Billy Rhino
17-09-2009, 10:46 PM
I seem to remember his estimated wages were about £2k/week not £5k.

cdm61
17-09-2009, 11:56 PM
2 years too late

100 years too late:veryangry

GreatGonzo
18-09-2009, 12:36 AM
It is a shame that a few fans forget the defensive unit of Butterfield, Lawrence, Hudson, and Hill that got us into the playoffs, infront of a great keeper. Didnt we concede the least amount of goals away that season? Not a bad feat, when you consider how leaky we were until November under Taylor.

Ouch now PT had his problems but that is just making up history.

Under Taylor in 07/08 we conceded 12 goals in 10 games, his problem was we lost a few tight 1-0's after 10 games we had 10 points and a 0 goal difference. Right now we have already conceeded 10 goals and only scored 5. However what it does show is that it only takes a very slight change at both ends of the pitch to make massive differences.

thefox
18-09-2009, 05:08 AM
:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:

Ok he is being used as a scape goat , but after 2 years of complete crap for several thousand £ a week I'm not too upset.

leekelly
18-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Good Luck Matt:p

HARRY MONK
18-09-2009, 05:55 AM
:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:

TheCharmer
18-09-2009, 06:55 AM
it was lunacy to give him that 2 year deal last yr, anyone could see his legs were gone. Out with the deadwood, butters next i should think.

Freddy Kurz
18-09-2009, 07:19 AM
I seem to remember his estimated wages were about £2k/week not £5k.

Whose estimate? Facts please.

bradpitt
18-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Who's going to sign him? I can just see him hanging around until his contract expires at the end of the season

Psychokiller
18-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Scumwall hopefully

Bellyman
18-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Finally i thought this day would never come.....

sheepy
18-09-2009, 08:26 AM

Thank you Lenny for all the great performances then.

However i think you will provide great experience for a league 2 side for your professionalism and intelligence on the game.

Thanks for all yor efforts and good luck in the future (but i do think it is now best if both parties move on).

Great post and for everyone saying he wasn't good enough maybe they should cast their mind back to this season. Fonte wasn't first choice all the time and Matty was part of a defense that got to the playoffs. As I recall, he scored a pretty crucial goal to earn us a point towards the end of latter stages of the season.

He tried hard, put in some good performances and never let the overly harsh stick he got get to him. Wish him all the best for the future, certainly he wasn't a flop as some on here will try to portray him as.

telodaja
18-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Euphemism for "we've had an explosive row about your contribution for at least 2 of Scunny's goals on saturday and you're out, son".....

Is the correct answer.

It's all very well people saying he's a nice bloke and he gives 100%, never stops trying, etc. I'm a really nice bloke, I always try my hardest at anything I do and if you put a Palace shirt on my back I would give 150%, but even when I was young & fit I didn't have the footballing ability to play for a Championship side and unfortunately for him and us neither has Matt Lawrence for the last couple of seasons.

eagle101
18-09-2009, 08:52 AM
When was the last time the club announced we'd put someone on the transfer list publicly? Apart from if it was because the player had upset the manager?

Owngoal
18-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Is the correct answer.

It's all very well people saying he's a nice bloke and he gives 100%, never stops trying, etc. I'm a really nice bloke, I always try my hardest at anything I do and if you put a Palace shirt on my back I would give 150%, but even when I was young & fit I didn't have the footballing ability to play for a Championship side and unfortunately for him and us neither has Matt Lawrence for the last couple of seasons.

Spot on. His debut for us was one of the worse performances ever in a Palace shirt, he did get better, but cost us around 10 points last year with some dreadful play. Being a nice bloke does not help the quality of what we have had to watch.

Terrace Bickle
18-09-2009, 11:43 AM
I guess it's been said already, but I guess Neil has picked his scapegoat for the Scunny match.

Always sad to see and I'd like to thank Matt for his efforts as many already have.

Palace Don
18-09-2009, 12:43 PM

Does anyone remember Reading vs Palace last year as well. The most atrocious performance I have seen from a 'centre half'. Kitson was laughing at him at the end

Cleon
18-09-2009, 04:07 PM
He gives his all, but he's simply not good enough for the Championship any more. I think the reason it is being advertised is to invite long-term loan options from lower league clubs.

Overall he's been a good servant to the club, and I wish him all the best if he does leave.

Skiddo
18-09-2009, 05:28 PM
It's like Christmas, Easter and my birthday all rolled into one :lux:

Freddy Kurz
18-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Is the correct answer.

telodaja, try looking up the word "magnanimous".... Do you really want
Lawrence to spend the rest of his career in the Palace reserves?
Surely any decent club, knowing a player has passed his sell-by
date will help him find another one, where he can continue to
play first-team football, albeit at a lower level? That is just
what Warnock has done, while at the same time saving the
club the wages, which he is already paying for Claude Davis.

Surely, if we are inviting offers for a player, what is wrong
with underlining his good qualities? Here is a case where
by showing magnanimity towards a departing player, we
can help him get another club & help ourselves by saving
Palace his not inconsiderable wages. Think about it......

gold76
18-09-2009, 06:02 PM
In harsh reality we're doing him a favour, he could still do an adequate job at League 1 or 2 level for the rest of this season & perhaps next

telodaja
18-09-2009, 09:26 PM
telodaja, try looking up the word "magnanimous".... Do you really want
Lawrence to spend the rest of his career in the Palace reserves?
Surely any decent club, knowing a player has passed his sell-by
date will help him find another one, where he can continue to
play first-team football, albeit at a lower level? That is just
what Warnock has done, while at the same time saving the
club the wages, which he is already paying for Claude Davis.

Surely, if we are inviting offers for a player, what is wrong
with underlining his good qualities? Here is a case where
by showing magnanimity towards a departing player, we
can help him get another club & help ourselves by saving
Palace his not inconsiderable wages. Think about it......

Freddy, slightly confused by this, you appear to be saying that I want him to stay, which is the complete opposite of my point of view. The point I was trying to make was that if you scroll through this thread his good qualities appear to be he is a nice bloke who tries hard. Those are not qualities needed for a team we all hoped would challenge for promotion this year or as it now seems are going to be fighting a relegation battle. Yes he tries hard enough but his best is nowhere good enough. I certainly don't want Lawrence to rot away in the reserves and hope he finds a club more suited to his abilities.We should have been magnanimous to him a year ago and put him on the list then instead of giving him another 2 year contract. Even when he was in his prime he was at best an average defender. His reading of the play is too poor to be a decent centre half, before his legs went was a reasonable full back, but he doesnt have the pace to play that role now either. I hope he finds a club and the sooner the better to be honest. From your user name and other posts you have made you have obviously been going to Palace a few more years than my 48 odd and in that time we have both seen a lot worse than Matt Lawrence in a Palace shirt, but we have also seen a hell of a lot better.
Good luck to the bloke but he is just not up to this level anymore.

TONBRIDGE EAGLE
18-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Time has caught up with him but for an outlay of £50,000 we have had good value a lot of games and no real lack of effort.
If some of the players we paid 10,20 or 30 times more for had put in as much effort we might not be so deep in the mire.

MasterYoda
19-09-2009, 09:20 AM
http://twitter.com/mattyjlawrence he's rambling this morning. Obviously not involved today

Freddy Kurz
19-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Freddy, slightly confused by this, you appear to be saying that I want him to stay, which is the complete opposite of my point of view. The point I was trying to make was that if you scroll through this thread his good qualities appear to be he is a nice bloke who tries hard. Those are not qualities needed for a team we all hoped would challenge for promotion this year or as it now seems are going to be fighting a relegation battle. Yes he tries hard enough but his best is nowhere good enough. I certainly don't want Lawrence to rot away in the reserves and hope he finds a club more suited to his abilities.We should have been magnanimous to him a year ago and put him on the list then instead of giving him another 2 year contract. Even when he was in his prime he was at best an average defender. His reading of the play is too poor to be a decent centre half, before his legs went was a reasonable full back, but he doesnt have the pace to play that role now either. I hope he finds a club and the sooner the better to be honest. From your user name and other posts you have made you have obviously been going to Palace a few more years than my 48 odd and in that time we have both seen a lot worse than Matt Lawrence in a Palace shirt, but we have also seen a hell of a lot better.
Good luck to the bloke but he is just not up to this level anymore.

But telodaja - we are now in a NEW ball game. He is surplus to our needs,
and a move can be mutually beneficial to the Palace and the player. NOW
is, thus, hardly the ideal time for our fans to be carrying out an in-depth
analysis of his Palace record. That can, surely take place when he has
safely moved on......? Will be happy to discuss the player, his record &
how he compares with other former Palace defenders with you and other
fans when he has joined a new club.

You've certainly earned veteran-fan status with your 48-odd years as a
supporter, and you couldn't have started following the old club at a much
better time with players of the calibre of Johnny Byrne, Ronnie Allen, Ron
Heckman, Roy Summersby, Johnny McNicol, Vic Rouse, George Petchey &
Terry Long in our line-up. But I wonder if you remember a bloke called
John Cartwright, who put in the occasional appearance in 1961/62?

He, of course, became the renowned youth coach who helped to assemble
and develop Palace's so-called "Team of the Eighties" including legends
like Kenny Sansom Vince Hilaire, Peter Nicholas, Gerry Murphy et al.....
He also played a role in developing the likes of Ben Watson, Wayne
Routledge, Tom Soares and even Sam Togwell, who was moved on
to Port Vale and later Scunthorpe for whom he scored a scorching
3rd goal in our 0-4 humiliation last week.....

Am looking forward to celebrating my 65th year as a Palace fan on
the 30th of December, 2009. It's been a real roller-coaster ride, but,
as you'll no doubt agree, it's been worth every minute of it:)

glaziers fan
19-09-2009, 01:51 PM
HE'S BEEN MADE A SCAPEGOAT FOR THE 4-0 LOSS. Everything else has remained fairly constant judging by today's line-up.

I don't rate him but I feel for the guy

glaziers fan
19-09-2009, 01:53 PM

Spot on, judging by today's line-up.

glaziers fan
19-09-2009, 01:54 PM

Yep, conceding one favourite to keep Danns and Ambrose in the team.

jobiinthelastmi
19-09-2009, 04:47 PM

Clown! :clown: he netted the winner.

Without Ambrose this season we'd be right at the bottom of the league!

spt1978
19-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Clown! :clown: he netted the winner.

Without Ambrose this season we'd be right at the bottom of the league!

Our top scorer.

SE25Eagle
19-09-2009, 06:51 PM

who both deserve to be in the team

Shoreditch CPFC
24-09-2009, 09:22 AM
From his site:

# I'm going, I'm going!!!

about 12 hours ago from web

TheCharmer
24-09-2009, 09:31 AM
From his site:

# I'm going, I'm going!!!

about 12 hours ago from web

i think you ll find thats reference to his previous comment on the tweet about going to bed. He never comments about Palace on the tweet NW wouldnt have it, as mentioned on Mick Jones blog.

gold76
24-09-2009, 08:34 PM
does anyone else feel sorry for the old bugger though?

wish someone like Barnet, Dagenham, Orient or Wycombe ask for his services

GDP
24-09-2009, 08:43 PM
In all fairness we've had good value for money out of Lawrence. He only cost us peanuts and he always gave 100%, plenty of errors but took the blame sometimes as he's our token scapegoat.

He would have probably got a fairer crack from us fans if he didn't come from Millwall. Time for him to go and us to look to the future.

But I will certainly wish him the best if a deal goes through.

palacemaniac
24-09-2009, 08:52 PM
He's been shocking for a while now and had to go, a good personality and commitment isn't enough

Aaroncpfc
24-09-2009, 10:44 PM
For £50,000 and average wages you couldn't ask for me than he has given us at his age really. We've got more out of this signing than I originally expected. Good luck to him at his next club who I expect will be somebody like Milwall or Wycombe. Even though I do hope a Championship side like Barnsley, Blackpool or Plymouth give him a try until the end of the season.

rudis flatop
24-09-2009, 11:21 PM
he is pure shite!

doesnt look like or resemble a football player in any way!

good riddance, scapegoat my arse! nw's fault really, for trusting in him.

hopefully will never play for the palace again....

CPFC_DAVE77
24-09-2009, 11:49 PM
For £50,000 and average wages you couldn't ask for me than he has given us at his age really. We've got more out of this signing than I originally expected. Good luck to him at his next club who I expect will be somebody like Milwall or Wycombe. Even though I do hope a Championship side like Barnsley, Blackpool or Plymouth give him a try until the end of the season.

Agreed. We have certainly made worse investments in recent years; Stuart Green cost 25k more for example...

Timbo
25-09-2009, 02:37 AM
he is pure shite!

doesnt look like or resemble a football player in any way!

good riddance, scapegoat my arse! nw's fault really, for trusting in him.

hopefully will never play for the palace again....

Naive, ungrateful comment about a committed Palace player and a decent man. Grow up!

cockles
25-09-2009, 09:31 AM
He'll do well against less skilled strikers at a lower level.

Good luck Matt.

FraserH
25-09-2009, 09:36 AM
i wish him well and applaud his attitude and commitment

but he was so far below the required standard for the past season and a half. and for some reason NW persisted in playing him week in week out when he was playing terribly which built up alot of negativity against him. shame as he seems a nice guy but imo he should of dropped down divisions 2 seasons ago

pauldrulez
25-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Agreed. We have certainly made worse investments in recent years; Stuart Green cost 25k more for example...
Is it me or was Stuart Green not as bad as is said by a lot of people?

Psychokiller
25-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I thought he was reasonable, at least he could run with it and knew where the goal was.

palacemaniac
25-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I thought he was decent

Edit: Green that is, not Lawrence

The Gerry Queen
25-09-2009, 09:58 AM

No it's not just you. I thought he did quite well for us and chipped in with a few good goals as well. He cost £75k and came with some baggage about being PT's daughter's boyfriend. Shows you how far a bright young prospect can wain and fall since the days of his being a teenage sensation and future England prospect at Robson's Newcastle ( Watch out Johnny Bostock ! )

I really liked his goal against Cardiff and thought he definately wasn't our worst buy by a long chalk. I'm not sure where he went to after Blackpool ? Was it Wycombe ? Wouldn't suprise me to see Matt Lawrence end up there either.

cpfc4evandeva
25-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Green was poor. Mark Kennedy-like fitness.

Panther
25-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure where he went to after Blackpool ? Was it Wycombe ? .

Yes, it was Wycombe. Quelle surprise, etc...

Aaroncpfc
25-09-2009, 10:51 AM
When fully fit I thought Stuart Green was a very useful player. He could get past people, take set pieces and he could chip in with goals. His only problem was he was too light weight and he didn't play to his usual standard when he needed to impress Warnock against Stoke City that time. Overall he did better than I expected him too and i'd like to know what his goals and assist ratio was per start because especially in the home games he did often contribute a lot when he started (Cardiff City, Norwich City, Swindon Town, Leicester City and Coventry City all stand out). God knows whats happened to him since to have been an average player for a relegated Crewe last season.

AJ
25-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Stuart Green is now at Wycombe.....under.....Peter Taylor

sydnsteve
25-09-2009, 11:47 AM
And was indeed crap. He simply flattered to deceive. Which is why he is at Wycombe, it is his level

cpfcfan1
25-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Millwall manager Kenny Jackett says he has no plans to bring Crystal Palace defender Matt Lawrence back to the club.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5583019,00.html

CPFC_DAVE77
26-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Green was an average player, very decent at everything, above average at nothing. Not a good enough CCC player IMVHO.

thehalifaxman
27-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm surprised he hasn't featured recently. Thought we'd be putting him in the shop window so we can get some money for him and end this embargo

joe walker
27-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm surprised he hasn't featured recently. Thought we'd be putting him in the shop window so we can get some money for him and end this embargo

I am 99.9% sure we will let him go for free.
To demand a fee for a mid30s third-tier standard centre half is ambitious.

Shipp Ahoy!
27-09-2009, 04:33 PM
I would take a packet of crisps for him.

But in reality we will probably be paying for any expenses incurred from the transfer rather then anything else.

macstar
27-09-2009, 05:28 PM
surprise surprise we keep 2 clean sheets when he's dropped.

Il Padrino
27-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Green was poor. Mark Kennedy-like fitness.

indeed. It shows how bad the rest of that team was that a very, very average player like that was considered one of the bright spots

ZOHAR
29-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Neil Warnock has refused to shut the door on Matt Lawrence's Crystal Palace career.

The defender was transfer-listed and frozen out of the first team after the 4-0 home loss to Scunthorpe United just over two weeks ago, but Warnock revealed the 35 year-old may yet come back into his plans.

"You would never say never that he could play for the club again but the two lads at the minute are doing really well," he said "We have Claude Davis too who was fit and on the bench on Saturday though he has a bit of a virus at the moment and might not make tonight.

"We circulated Matt's name that he is available for loan but there has been nothing at the minute.

"There were a couple of enquiries early doors but at the moment there is nothing happening."

Meanwhile, Millwall manager Kenny Jackett has ruled out a swoop for Lawrence, who spent more than six years at the Den before moving to Palace in 2006.

He said: “We have made approaches at different times for Matt Lawrence when we’ve been looking for central defenders but hopefully we are through our injury crisis now.”

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/sport/eagleeye/4654061.Warnock_not_ruling_out_Lawrence_return/

The Gerry Queen
29-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Ertl prefered to Lawrence on the bench in tonight's team. Never say never though but I think it would be a pretty big injury crisis to get Lawrence back in a starting XI

bradpitt
29-09-2009, 08:54 PM
surprise surprise we keep 2 clean sheets when he's dropped.

3 now...

Tomo
29-09-2009, 09:35 PM
He went to see The Maccabees tonight according to Twitter.

Good lad.

Tomo
29-09-2009, 09:38 PM
I'd rather Lawrence played than Hill tonight.

cpfcmazz
29-09-2009, 09:40 PM
How many have we conceded since hes been away?

MasterYoda
30-09-2009, 07:08 AM
I'd have had Lawrence down as the type to come watch home games even if he was out of the picture.

Owngoal
30-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Have been a few of his twitters where he seems to not have been where I would have expected a Palace player to be (when we are playing). Worried me that Warnock has not ruled out a return for him. Nice guy, but we are better without him playing.

Bellyman
30-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I'd rather Lawrence played than Hill tonight.

You are an idiot!!

Clint Hill is a million times better than Lawrence.

Ok Clint has had a bad patch, but he is still playing better than Lawrence ever could.

If Lawrence played last night we would have lost!!

Shadow Knight
30-09-2009, 11:32 AM
It is true that without Matty we have kept 3 clean sheets. All I want to know is what team in there right mind would want to buy him???

Maybe Notts are waiting till January to get him to replace Sol Campbell :D

Absolution
30-09-2009, 11:51 AM
It is true that without Matty we have kept 3 clean sheets. All I want to know is what team in there right mind would want to buy him???

Maybe Notts are waiting till January to get him to replace Sol Campbell :DJoking a side, that would be a good signing for them :D

nookiebear
30-09-2009, 04:39 PM
He's basically been banished from the club. He made mistakes, but that's pretty harsh to say the least

Ironically, they called him up and he was nearly on the bench for the West Brom game because of injuries.

Billy Rhino
30-09-2009, 07:04 PM
I'd have had Lawrence down as the type to come watch home games even if he was out of the picture.
Yeah, Millwall home games...

Kuqi32
01-10-2009, 03:13 AM
Matt Lawrence Is A Brilliant Professional & A Really Nice Man,
But He Is What 35 Years Old Now; We Simply Do Not Need Him Anymore, He Isn't Getting Any Younger Or Better.

As Roy Hodgson Said, Why Stop Other Players/Younger Players Who Have Futures At The Club Progresses Being Stiffled By Playing Aging Players.

You Have Been A Great Servant Matt; But It Is Time To Move On

Celestial Empire
01-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Matt Lawrence Is A Brilliant Professional & A Really Nice Man,
But He Is What 35 Years Old Now; We Simply Do Not Need Him Anymore, He Isn't Getting Any Younger Or Better.

As Roy Hodgson Said, Why Stop Other Players/Younger Players Who Have Futures At The Club Progresses Being Stiffled By Playing Aging Players.

You Have Been A Great Servant Matt; But It Is Time To Move On

A "Great Servant" eh? Is that supposed to be a compliment ? Does he make the tea or something ?;)

adzcharlton
03-11-2009, 12:51 AM
He went to see The Maccabees tonight according to Twitter.

Good lad.

Spoke to him in great detail that night, drunk on the way home on the train from east croydon!

intresting his views on palace players, situation etc... also said he'd never spoke to Simon Jordan - that's odd isn't it?

AJ's right boot
03-11-2009, 05:24 AM
also said he'd never spoke to Simon Jordan - that's odd isn't it?
Well thats lie, ive been in the same room as both of them!!

Just like to say im not calling you a lier, just Matt! :D

stinky
03-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Spoke to him in great detail that night, drunk on the way home on the train from east croydon!

intresting his views on palace players, situation etc... also said he'd never spoke to Simon Jordan - that's odd isn't it?

what did he have to say?! You can't say that and then not tell us!