PDA

View Full Version : Speroni staying put

Il Padrino
08-10-2009, 12:23 PM
CRYSTAL Palace boss Neil Warnock has insisted there is no chance of keeper Julian Speroni leaving the club in the January transfer window, but admits he will listen to offers for midfielder Nick Carle.

Speroni has been in fantastic form for Palace this term and many supporters had feared the cash-strapped Eagles would cash in on the much loved keeper should the opportunity arise.

However, Warnock has insisted that is not the case and there is no chance of the Argentinian leaving the club.

"I think he's one of the best in the country," said Warnock. "He won't be going anywhere, while I'm here he's here.

"He knows what I think of him and there's no chance of us letting him go."

Carle, however, has struggled for first team opportunities this season and will be allowed to leave should the correct offer come in.

The Australian, who signed from Bristol City for 1million last summer, is desperate for football with the World Cup just around the corner and Warnock admits that he will not stand in his way.

"Nick is on the market to sell, we'd only look at loans at the end of January," added the Eagles boss.

See tomorrow's Croydon Advertiser for all the latest Crystal Palace news.

Sandowneagle
08-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Good news on Jules, I feared that we would sell.

Optimistic Kev
08-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Good news on Jules, I feared that we would sell.

Long way to go until the 31st Jan - still hopeful news. Maybe the money from Carle (500k?) will mean that only he and Moses\Clyne need to be moved on in Jan. Assuming SJ is still here and we are not owned by multi-billionnaires or Noades! :p

GrayP41ace
08-10-2009, 01:09 PM
or Noades! :p

Yeah, but then it will be Moses and Clyne :o

NateEagle
08-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Fantastic news, fast becoming..*****ap that...already a palace all-time legend!

kolinkins
08-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Already a legend in my book.

All hail Jules.

Pretty much the only player in the squad who deserves a move - but glad it wont happen.

Stavros 69
08-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Don't go Nick :(

Nofishtoday
08-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Surely this news also casts a different light on the 'ground-eviction / administration' story?
If we were in such financial dire straits we wouldn't be able to afford to hold on to anyone?

Justy C
08-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Don't go Nick :(

Thats how I feel as well. :(

I know that might kick off a "what has he done since he signed for us" type discussion which I can't be arsed to get involved with, I just feel that he could offer so much more given the right role. And 4-3-3 obviously doesn't work for him.

Beanie
08-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Thats how I feel as well. :(

I know that might kick off a "what has he done since he signed for us" type discussion which I can't be arsed to get involved with, I just feel that he could offer so much more given the right role. And 4-3-3 obviously doesn't work for him.
Given that we need to get money in who would you rather sell who is actually worth enough to make it worth while? We wouldn't be dumping him, it could well be a mutually beneficial move.

gold76
08-10-2009, 02:22 PM
great new on Jules. But surely if he keeps up this rich vein of form, a big club will come in for him next summer.

sydnsteve
08-10-2009, 02:26 PM
I think that save vs Blackpool must rank with the best I've ever seen. He is a truly fantastic keeper.

welshneil
08-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I think that save vs Blackpool must rank with the best I've ever seen.
Along with a couple when he came on against Crewe a few seasons ago after Gabor got injured!

Justy C
08-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Given that we need to get money in who would you rather sell who is actually worth enough to make it worth while? We wouldn't be dumping him, it could well be a mutually beneficial move.

Reluctantly agree, just frustrating when you can see a really good player there, but one that it seems we're not going to see play for us.

AJ's right boot
08-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Speroni is too good for us, so pleased the Prem seem to be totally ignoring him!! :lux:

James
08-10-2009, 03:11 PM
I wish I could believe this. If a big offer comes in for Speroni, is it really possible that Palace could afford to reject the bid?

Crunchie
08-10-2009, 04:35 PM
I wish I could believe this. If a big offer comes in for Speroni, is it really possible that Palace could afford to reject the bid?

No :) :sob:

bigend1
08-10-2009, 04:50 PM

of course every player has there price, but this i think means that he wont go without a big offer.

NRM the 2nd
08-10-2009, 04:52 PM
I think that save vs Blackpool must rank with the best I've ever seen. He is a truly fantastic keeper.

Is there any footage of the save, would like to see it again, nothing shown on the highlights though.

Woodside_CP
08-10-2009, 05:54 PM

The cynic/pessimist in me says that Warnock is only coming out with this in an attempt to attract Premiership interest and to bump his price up.

If you really wanted to hide a player from the bigger teams you wouldn't talk him up as one of the best keepers in the country.

You're right, Palace can't and won't turn down a big offer for anyone in the team, including Jules. Unfortunately I reckon 3m will be enough for Jordan to do business :(

*ps. Before I some posters go neg rep frenzy, I'm hoping I'm wrong... :p

Woodside_CP
08-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Not really bothered about Carle.

Warnock doesn't like him, he doesn't fit into Warnock's style and we cant afford to have a 1mill player sitting on the bench. Danns is a better attacking player, Derry is a first choice defensive midfielder, Ertl can string a pass and is a Warnock player - and there are high hopes for N'Diaye. Cant see where Carle fits in.

It was a stupid signing in the first place.

Gooders
08-10-2009, 06:13 PM

I shouldn't think so. But luckily for us, no one appears to have noticed just how good he is.

First name on the team sheet.

Jason
08-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I shouldn't think so. But luckily for us, no one appears to have noticed just how good he is.

Agree on all counts. But given that nobody seems to have noticed how good he is, Warnock pointing it out does seem like he's trying to make people aware of this fact. Hope I'm wrong, but it does seem like he's actually putting the "for sale sign up" using some reverse psychology.

Hope I'm wrong, but Given that Speroni has quietly been being brilliant "under the radar", surely the best way to keep hold of him is to keep it that way ?

Granada allover
08-10-2009, 06:22 PM
The hype re: Jules will intensify if Argentina reach the World Cup Finals. I don't blame the club/Warnock for being a tad disengenuous on this one.

However, I hope he stays. It shows the depth of character in the bloke to come back from a dreadful start to his career in SE25. After being slaughtered by some on here, he is now a fans' favourite. Such sweet redemption - offering hope for us all facing a similar circumstance.

jimos_uk
08-10-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm probably being way off beam but....

Anyone else think that there's a chance that Jules has asked NW to remind the world at large that he exists? It's hardly a secret that the Argentina squad is short on quality keepers and he's made it clear that he would love to represent his country.

Coming out in the press and saying 'I should be in the ******* squad' is not really the universally accepted method of doing it. I think it's possible that this is Jules's message, via the mouth of someone who will always be quoted in the nationals....

EDIT: Hang on, I was sure this was the thread about asking for tape and sending old ones? Have I posted on the wrong one? Bah.

gold76
08-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't begrudge Jules a move to a big club if a big bid comes in tbh.
He's been a good servant & surely deserves to play at the highest level.
Very possibly could be the first person to win player of the year 3 years in a row.

PeterH
08-10-2009, 08:04 PM

Literally. :p

kolinkins
08-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Agree on all counts. But given that nobody seems to have noticed how good he is, Warnock pointing it out does seem like he's trying to make people aware of this fact. Hope I'm wrong, but it does seem like he's actually putting the "for sale sign up" using some reverse psychology.

Hope I'm wrong, but Given that Speroni has quietly been being brilliant "under the radar", surely the best way to keep hold of him is to keep it that way ?

He was most likely answering a question about him

Beanie
09-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Odd isn't it. On the one hand we are so short of cash we can't pay 75k to Ipswich and are behind with the rent, on the other we won't sell Speroni (or indeed a number of others according to NW) unless there is a major offer. Okay, "major" is open to discussion, but can't both be true can they?

sw16girl
09-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Odd isn't it. On the one hand we are so short of cash we can't pay 75k to Ipswich and are behind with the rent, on the other we won't sell Speroni (or indeed a number of others according to NW) unless there is a major offer. Okay, "major" is open to discussion, but can't both be true can they?

The amount owed to Ipswich is 200k. And you are right they cannot both be true although there does come a time when there is no point selling a player for so little that it makes very little difference to the club's indebtedness but seriously weakens the squad.

Nelson Muntz
09-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Good news on both counts.