PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE let this be true

LeeH
13-11-2009, 02:39 PM
:p

I bet he thought he's be a first team reg by now :D

http://www.griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1491884#post1491884

Bees to Sign John Bostock?
Rumours persist that Brentford will today sign the Tottenham young star John Bostock on loan from Tottenham. John is an attacking midfielder who has appeared as substituted in three first-team matches this season, all in the Europa League. Bostock is Spurs's and Crystal Palace's youngest ever player and wes captain of England under-17s. Bostock's England career is continuing as he has been called-up into the England U19 Squad for their match against Turkey this coming Tuesday evening

Bostock was signed by Tottenham from Palace in an acrimonious transfer which ended up with Palace chairman Simon Jordan saying that he was so disgusted with Bostock and his stepfather that he intended to revoke and refund their Selhurst Park season tickets for 2008–09, which the pair had purchased. GPG Towers heard that the Bostocks were "really cut-up" about this, but not really. Bostock's favourite cheese is Cearphilly

Bostock was born in Lambeth not far from Millwall...

EDIT: PLease move to a more relevant forum if need be, or is this correct?

Psychokiller
13-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Be nice to see him come up against some boot-happy League One carthorse centre halves...

eagle101
13-11-2009, 02:43 PM
What a twat, enjoy League One Bostock you absolute mug.

SpikeyMatt
13-11-2009, 02:48 PM
How's that stagnation at Spurrrrz going, Johnny boy? Bet God didn't warn you about that.

Psychokiller
13-11-2009, 02:49 PM
BTW threads about this money obsessed, god bashing little squirt should be in World of Football.

thefox
13-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Someone else who was moving north who will be at charlton. :D

(for one or 2 matches)

Jimmy Eagle
13-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Absolute genius!!!!! This has made my Friday.

kabbott
13-11-2009, 03:11 PM
He's obviously moving on to leave his place in the Spuds reserves for another future ex-Palace player. :(
I hope not.

hoopsmccan
13-11-2009, 03:21 PM
He's obviously moving on to leave his place in the Spuds reserves for another future ex-Palace player. :(
I hope not.

He could play for Spurs in goal if Gomez gets injured.

David of Kent
13-11-2009, 03:23 PM
I hope not.

Spurs don't have a reserve team. Harry disbanded it in the summer. Maybe he's been playing for their Academy team or in "specially arranged" fixtures

kabbott
13-11-2009, 03:30 PM
He could play for Spurs in goal if Gomez gets injured.

Does he ride a motor bike?

thehound
13-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Spurs don't have a reserve team. Harry disbanded it in the summer. Maybe he's been playing for their Academy team or in "specially arranged" fixtures

Why would any prem or championship team not have a reserve team. seems so stupid.

stinky
13-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Wonderful spelling in that article

Kirby
13-11-2009, 03:35 PM
HA HA. Dick.

David of Kent
13-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Why would any prem or championship team not have a reserve team. seems so stupid.

I guess the "theory" is that when you have first team players injured there should be players fresh to come in who haven't in turn been injured in reserve matches. Albeit they won't have any form!

However, it stunts the growth of young players coming through (imo) if they have nowhere to regularly play week in week out for their club. The chief reason he cited for leaving was to be able to progress better with the coaching and players at Spurs, but if the caveat is they don't play regular football so he has to potentially go to somewhere like Brentford to get football....is he really progressing and being coached better than he was?

PalaceSince2004
13-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Here's me thinking that we are about to sign someone from the sound of the title :moo:

biggus mickus
13-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Be nice to see him come up against some boot-happy League One carthorse centre halves...

Our chairman tried and tried to tell him. He is a silly boy who went for the early money. His whole career could be screwed by that move. And lets be fair, was a great prospect.
Saying that, look how many ran away for the money in recent years. It must be a complete bastard running a football club.

red&blue_moomin
13-11-2009, 04:15 PM
While everyone indulges in schadenfreude. Could I ask how Victor, Sean and Nathaniel are doing in the team........ and how often they are appearing in it?

stinky
13-11-2009, 04:27 PM
While everyone indulges in schadenfreude. Could I ask how Victor, Sean and Nathaniel are doing in the team........ and how often they are appearing in it?

About the right amount for their age. Too much and they'd burn out. They've all featured this season. Which is more that you can say for B*stock.

I know our kids have got bags of talent, but overplaying them would be a mistake

Dingle
13-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Could I ask how Victor, Sean and Nathaniel are doing in the team........ and how often they are appearing in it?

Yes you can. And the answer: Together, currently about 150 more first team games than Bostock. As for how they are doing: they are doing very well for 18 year olds playing Championship level footy.

stinky
13-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Yes you can. And the answer: Together, currently about 150 more first team games than Bostock. And they are doing very well for 18 year olds playing Championship level footy.

Pretty much what I said innit?

I like it when someone thinks the same as me

Dingle
13-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Pretty much what I said innit?

I like it when someone thinks the same as me

Must have been writing my reply when you were posting yours!
Great minds think alike and all that :p

Walrus
13-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm sure that he'll fit right in with Brentford's slick passing game and enjoy the time afforded to him to dwell on the ball and pick out a pass by the "hard-working" midfields of League 1.

Does his God love lying and hypocrisy? I hope so, for his sake.

Baffled Bob 2
13-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Brentford?

Why has his God forsaken him in this way?

bradpitt
13-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Brentford?

Why has his God forsaken him in this way?

Because even god thinks he's a twat

AJ's right boot
13-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Brentford? Slightly higher than id thought he would end up.

palacemaniac
13-11-2009, 05:08 PM
league 1 football is more than that little shite deserves

Jim.Cpfc
13-11-2009, 06:05 PM
It is now confirmed

http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10421~1875209,00.html

I look forward to seeing Millwall kick him about abit tomorrow

cockles
13-11-2009, 06:33 PM
It is now confirmed

http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10421~1875209,00.html

I look forward to seeing Millwall kick him about abit tomorrow

LoL - first thing I was going to check was when he might face Millwall!

cpfcfan1
13-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Think its a shame IMO, he should of been here playing for us, I for one wish him the best of luck, just a shame he aint wearing the red and blue, think he will do ok for them.

pauldrulez
13-11-2009, 08:20 PM
I for one hope he gets hurt.

kettle
13-11-2009, 08:45 PM
it's amazing what money and potentially agents can do to a young footballer. Currently if I were a decent quality youngster, depending on division I was in, I would want to be at Arsenal, Palace, or Southampton. 3 clubs at different levels, and different styles, but all where youngsters play regularly - not every week, but you can guarantee 25-30 games a season. For Bostock, read Wayne Routledge mk2.
Finally after 4 years of stagnation at 4 clubs, where he played 10 games per season (starts / sub appearance), he is finally playing week in week out and looking like a decent player. How the mighty Bostock has fallen. Still at least he will be picking up a half decent wage, so think of the money!

biggus mickus
13-11-2009, 09:00 PM
it's amazing what money and potentially agents can do to a young footballer. Currently if I were a decent quality youngster, depending on division I was in, I would want to be at Arsenal, Palace, or Southampton. 3 clubs at different levels, and different styles, but all where youngsters play regularly - not every week, but you can guarantee 25-30 games a season. For Bostock, read Wayne Routledge mk2.
Finally after 4 years of stagnation at 4 clubs, where he played 10 games per season (starts / sub appearance), he is finally playing week in week out and looking like a decent player. How the mighty Bostock has fallen. Still at least he will be picking up a half decent wage, so think of the money!

Kettle, you cider drinking drunk.:hi:

gadford4th
13-11-2009, 09:16 PM
*spit*

Celestial Empire
13-11-2009, 09:51 PM
The crucial question : will his games for Brentford count as "first team games" triggering a further payment to Palace ?

Staines Eagle
13-11-2009, 10:18 PM
The crucial question : will his games for Brentford count as "first team games" triggering a further payment to Palace ?

You'd think so, but who knows? :hmph:

Happy Happy FC
13-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Because even god thinks he's a twat

:lux:

glayzier
13-11-2009, 10:45 PM
FFS As much as we may have liked the kid to wear the red & blue at the end of the day he was/is just a kid.
Maybe i could understand if the abuse was directed at his wonderful father who offered guidance.

Ralph
13-11-2009, 11:45 PM
playing first team football at ANY Professional level isnt bad for a 17 year old. And a year or two in League One didnt do Fabian Delph any harm. I'm amazed Spurs care enough about their young talent to be doing the right thing and loaning Bostock out in this manner.

pauldrulez
14-11-2009, 12:10 PM
I for one hope he gets hurt.
For Chillo who neg-repped me for it.

It was not a mindless response.

I do hope he gets hurt.

firesign
14-11-2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-490798/Meet-John-Bostock-aged-15-boy-Barcelona-buy.html

Meet John Bostock, aged 15, the boy Barcelona can't buy
EXCLUSIVE By NEIL ASHTON
Last updated at 11:42 31 October 2007

Chelsea are champing at the bit. Barcelona will be back in for him before long. And Manchester United have already put down their marker.

At the age of 15 years and 289 days, John Bostock has suddenly become big news. Fazed? No fear.
The morning after becoming the youngest player to pull on the red and blue stripes of Crystal Palace, Bostock was back at school in Blackfriars, south London, yesterday and wondering whether he had done enough to stay in the team for the trip to Scunthorpe on Saturday.
Scunthorpe away?

Hardly every schoolboy's fantasy, but Glanford Park is the next port of call for a player who has a season ticket in the Arthur Wait Stand at Selhurst Park and hopes to emulate Ian Wright, Attilio Lombardo and Dougie Freedman.

Bostock made his debut as a second-half substitute against Watford, runaway Championship leaders, and in 18 minutes he gave Palace's increasingly rattled fans something to cling to: hope.

His name has been added to a list of 34 players, including Matthew Etherington, Peter Lorimer and Neil McNab, who have made their competitive debuts for a professional team under the age of 16.
Even Duncan Edwards, the Manchester United wing half who lost his life in the Munich air crash 49 years ago, had to wait until he turned 16 before making his debut for the Busby Babes. Bostock must be some player.

Former Palace manager Peter Taylor said yesterday: "Bostock will not just be a good player ? he can be a great player. He has a good left foot and that makes him easy on the eye, he is a good size, can run all day, pass short and pass long.

"When he first started training with the first team he would take three touches of the ball, but I encouraged him to watch Gareth Barry and Cesc Fabregas; they take one and still they never lose it.
"He's a fantastic talent, no doubt about it. When he had that freekick near the end against Watford, I was willing him to fill his boots."

No question, Bostock means business. Aidy Boothroyd's side are on the fast track back to the Premier League but Bostock will not be far behind.

The way he shrugged off challenges from the likes of Watford skipper Gavin Mahon, a player who has been around the block, suggest Bostock can handle himself where it hurts.

Something had to stir in south London and Bostock, a courteous, intelligent and articulate young man, will soon be a fixture in Palace's first team.
He returned to school yesterday and spent most of the afternoon signing autographs for star-struck pupils, but Bostock will not be fazed by the prospect of fame.

Neil McGregor, deputy head teacher and head of PE at the Nautical School in Blackfriars, said: 'He has a lot of humility, he's very honest and there is no danger of him ever becoming a Big Time Charlie. His feet are firmly on the ground and we're very proud of him.

"He is very good academically ? an A star pupil without question ? and he has university potential if he decides to go down that route. He is gifted athletically and he could be an international sprinter ? he holds the record for the Lambeth Schools 110metre hurdles."

Even the headmaster's PA referred to Bostock as "a remarkable young man" yesterday, but his parents can take immense satisfaction for his upbringing.
Raised in Camberwell, his mum Christine, a teacher, and dad Mick, who is also a Palace fanatic, have been with the boy every step of the way.

Bostock watched Palace's 2-2 draw with Leicester in the stands with his dad back in August but two months later he was sitting on the substitutes' bench. Talk about living the dream.

He beat competition from 200 kids to win a place at the Palace academy when he was just seven and the path that could ultimately lead to the Premier League has been mapped out ever since.

Complications with the FA prevented Bostock playing for Palace before their 2-0 defeat against Watford but the England Under 17 midfielder is relishing the prospect of leading his club away from the relegation zone.

Palace manager Neil Warnock said: "The lad is more concerned with his football than anything else and so is his dad. Mick is incredibly level headed and he has been wonderful to deal with. John is a smashing lad and we want to build a team around him."

So do others. Barcelona have enquired and teams from the top reaches of the Premier League have tempted Palace chairman Simon Jordan to sell the brightest academy prospect in the club's 102-year history, but Bostock is red and blue through and through.

"He's a Palace nut and I want him to stay for two or three years," said Warnock. "There are five or six other young players here, such as Victor Moses and John Hills, who can make a name for themselves.

"His position will be central midfield, where he can dictate things and decide when to get things going. He has a good touch and good vision but I will have to tell him to cut out the showboating.

"I remember Palace being billed as the Team of the Eighties and I wanted to recreate that here with the number of young players we have at the club."
Ah, the Team of the Eighties. The team Terry Venables built around the likes of Kenny Sansom, Terry Fenwick, Vince Hilaire, Jerry Murphy and Dave Swindlehurst.

"The fans want an exciting team to watch and that's what I want to create," added Warnock.

With Bostock on the scene, he has certainly made a start.

BOYS BRIGADE
Three Premier League stars who made their professional debuts not long after leaving school...

JOE COLE was watched by Barcelona as a schoolboy, trained with Arsenal and sat on the Manchester United team coach alongside Eric Cantona on the way to the 1996 FA Cup Final. But he chose West Ham, played in their 9-0 Youth Cup Final win over Coventry in 1999 and was fast-tracked into the first team at 17.

THEO WALCOTT was 16 years and 143 days old when he made his Southampton debut. Still aged 16, he joined Arsenal in a 12million deal. He was the shock name in the England 2006 World Cup squad and became the youngest England player at 17 years and 75 days when he came on in the 3-1 win against Hungary in May 2006.

WAYNE ROONEY was five days short of his 17th birthday when he became the Premier League's youngest scorer (since surpassed by James Milner and James Vaughan) for Everton against Arsenal. Excelled for Liverpool Schools before joining his boyhood idols aged 11.

Kaberle15
14-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I'd be really interested to know whether he regrets the move.

I don't think the kid went specifically for the money alone, he seemed more prinicpled than that, but somewhere along the way, he either made a severe error of judgement, was severely and intentionally misled by those guiding him, including his selfish father, or just sold out on his principles for short term gain.

Thing is, he said he was going because Spurs was the best place for his development. He now finds himself a league below Palace (albeit on loan), and having not started a single competitive match since leaving. He could have 2 seasons of Championship football under his belt by now, and still got his move afterwards, and be more first team ready for Premiership experience than he is right now.

Disappointingly, I still think the boy will be a great player. Comes across as a WORKER, and when you have the talent that is essential. The reason kids like Routledge ruined their careers is because they had the arrogance to believe that a move to Spurs was the endgame in itself. Bostock, I don't believe is that stupid. Spurs is the wrong club for him, and the move was far too early, but I think he'll have a successful career despite that.

gold76
14-11-2009, 01:26 PM
he would have probably played 50 games for us had he stayed

how many games has he played, 3?

you learn the hard way

Psychokiller
14-11-2009, 01:54 PM
he would have probably played 50 games for us had he stayed

how many games has he played, 3?

you learn the hard way
He's played in no games of any relevance for Spuds, and if they rated him as highly as he rates himself there's no way they'd be sending him on loan to League One. Hopefully this is the beginning of a downward spiral as far as his career is concerned.

gold76
14-11-2009, 01:56 PM
It should act as a serious lesson for young footballers everywhere

Celestial Empire
14-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Chelsea bid 14M for young Jack Rodwell, and Vic is touted for 1M ???:eek:
Nuts.

SpikeyMatt
14-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Ah. Bostock's scored.

Bastard.

milky87
14-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Bostock has made it 1 - 0 Brentford

Maidstoned Eagle
14-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Now 1-1

milky87
14-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Bostock 2 - 1

pumaspalace
14-11-2009, 03:25 PM
again!?!

SIR
14-11-2009, 03:27 PM
He's just scored direct from a corner

Beatleboy
14-11-2009, 03:40 PM
For Chillo who neg-repped me for it.

It was not a mindless response.

I do hope he gets hurt.

Very spiteful and nasty then and you had the nerve to criticise spiteful and nasty stewards and police on another Thread. I call that double standards!

pauldrulez
14-11-2009, 03:41 PM
It's not spiteful.

It's called hate.

thefox
14-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Two goals ! That will make him a marked man in league 1. Shame.

Hedgehog
14-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Lets not get carries away because he scores a couple of goals (one apparently direct from a corner).

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

David Amsalem
14-11-2009, 03:56 PM
It's not spiteful.

It's called hate.

Get a life.

How can you hate somebody because they left the football team you support?

Some people on here are pathetic.

saxoneagle
14-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Lets not get carries away because he scores a couple of goals (one apparently direct from a corner).

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

What about a Judas, lying, little-c**t squirrel? :D

Hedgehog
14-11-2009, 04:15 PM
What about a Judas, lying, little-c**t squirrel? :D
Jesus will guide him through.

Latvian Eagle
14-11-2009, 05:19 PM
I hope for his sake he moves on from Spurs and learns from his mistake.

Would have loved to see how he developed if he'd stayed with us. As someone else has said I wonder if he regrets the move now.

Sounds like a good debut for Brentford anyway. For some reason he's white with blonde hair on FIFA 10! :o Thought I'd add that in, to show how little he's obviously been noticed. LOL!

palacemaniac
14-11-2009, 05:21 PM
he's a talented young fellow isn't he :(

Gooders
14-11-2009, 05:32 PM
God hates Palace.

palacemaniac
14-11-2009, 05:35 PM
God hates Palace.

I still can't believe what Boscock did to our club

Gazza2
14-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Still going to be a top player. Life is too short to wish any otherwise. Plus it is in our interests if he does make it big as will mean we will be vindicated at kicking up such a fuss at low tribunal fee. If he fails to make it, we will look like idiots and the Tribunal will say they got the price right.

AJ's right boot
14-11-2009, 05:42 PM
He's just scored direct from a corner
Terrible corner of you do that. ;)

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
15-11-2009, 02:56 AM
Woah! He's only on loan isn't he? And he's started scoring straight away. So let's not get too comfortable too soon.

It still is the case that he could turn out to be an amazing talent - I don't think that was ever in doubt, if fact it was the crux of our anger, that such a talent could be swiped for f*** all. If he turns out to be shit then the whole tribunal fee system will have been proved to be right.

EDIT: Just seen Gazza2 above making a very similar point much more succinctly than I did.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
15-11-2009, 02:58 AM
http://www.football.co.uk/brentford/bees_bring_in_loanee_bostock_296886.shtml

"Brentford manager Andy Scott has bolstered his squad by snapping up Tottenham's highly-rated teenager John Bostock on a month's loan."

Roll eyes.

ThisIsDoM
15-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Still going to be a top player. Life is too short to wish any otherwise. Plus it is in our interests if he does make it big as will mean we will be vindicated at kicking up such a fuss at low tribunal fee. If he fails to make it, we will look like idiots and the Tribunal will say they got the price right.

Agreed but theres still a part of me that really wants him to fail.

David
15-11-2009, 04:09 PM
I just can't get upset about the whole Bostock thing like others. He will go onto become a class player. You have to let it go because many on here just sound bitter and jealous.

As for Brentford being a backwards step.......Defoe - Bournemouth, Beckham - Preston, John Terry - Nottingham Forest, Ben Foster - Watford, Michael Carrick - Swindon, Ashley Cole - PALACE!!

Celestial Empire
15-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I just can't get upset about the whole Bostock thing like others. He will go onto become a class player. You have to let it go because many on here just sound bitter and jealous.

As for Brentford being a backwards step.......Defoe - Bournemouth, Beckham - Preston, John Terry - Nottingham Forest, Ben Foster - Watford, Michael Carrick - Swindon, Ashley Cole - PALACE!! Kieran Djilali - Chesterfield

Edited for completeness.;)

David
15-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Edited for completeness.;)

When was KD ever touted as being a future star?

Palaceman95
15-11-2009, 05:29 PM

As for Brentford being a backwards step.......Defoe - Bournemouth, Beckham - Preston, John Terry - Nottingham Forest, Ben Foster - Watford, Michael Carrick - Swindon, Ashley Cole - PALACE!!

as an England fan as well, i want him to succeed. He was never gonna break into the Tottenham team at 17 years old obviously, so him going to Brentford is a fantastic idea. I just thing people need to drop this thing with him, ive moved on.

Kipungu
15-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Easy to say move on, won't be so easy when in ten years time, Palace v Man Utd Champions league final he scores a hat trick against us.

Interesting thought though, how would people feel if he goes on to play for England and ends up winning a World Cup?

kabbott
15-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Easy to say move on, won't be so easy when in ten years time, Palace v Man Utd Champions league final he scores a hat trick against us.

Interesting thought though, how would people feel if he goes on to play for England and ends up winning a World Cup?

Blimey, that's some player, Champions' League and World Cup winner. :rolleyes:

Celestial Empire
16-11-2009, 09:45 AM
When was KD ever touted as being a future star?

Don't be so po-faced David, lighten up and enjoy !
Kieran was apparently chased by ManU amongst others.

dufski13
16-11-2009, 01:33 PM

I can quite certainly say that if Bostock goes onto play in an England team that win the World cup that as i go bloody mental in the pub I shan't be thinking ' that's the little f**ker that did the dirty on palace a few years ago'. I shall be too busy pinching myself to see if it's real & we have actually won the world cup.

ammiller
16-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Good luck to him.

George Tasker
16-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Good luck to him.

glaziers fan
16-11-2009, 08:41 PM
There are 3 main points to be made:

1) Bostock declaring a love of CPFC and now finding himself playing in league1 and having lost CPFC potentially MILLIONS of pounds is unforgiveable.

2) The tapping up of talented youngsters by big clubs who then are able to grab them for peanuts is unforgiveable.

3) JB is only human and mistakes are made. No-one connected with Palace should ever forgive him, but I hope he goes on to have a long prosperous career somewhere else, as it is the best place to keep this saga in the limelight and it will reward not only us financially but also football who will hopefully act to clean the sport up.

Stavros 69
16-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Good luck to him.
Booooooooo

cpfc4evandeva
16-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Anyone seen the goals on BBC.co.uk?

Some shcoking goalkeeping/defending for all four goals. There is a big big gap between League 1 and The Championship.

MasterYoda
17-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Sadly though I'm not sure how many of our youngsters we could send down to League 1 who'd get 2 on debut.

pardew's shorts
17-11-2009, 09:28 AM

dufski13
17-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I though Bostock's first goal was well taken. His 2nd was clearly a freak goal.

LeeH
17-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Any chance the title of this thread can be updated as it 'is' now true? Bostock to Bees, or something like that would make more sense

sorrrrrry

Chris K
17-11-2009, 09:58 AM
good to see he's found his level

cpfc4evandeva
17-11-2009, 10:44 AM
I think Leicester City would disagree with you.

The goals on Saturday were heavily influenced by the appalling weather conditions.

Many teams seem to come up and then slowly slide back towards where they came from.

Leicester City should never have been relegated in the first place and it showed as they absolutely walked League 1.

I'd also look at the players that looked good in League 1 and are not good enough for The Championship - Billy Sharp, Freddy Eastwood, etc.

I mean Tony Craig is more than comfortable at that level but there is no way he can cope with The Championship as we have seen ourselves.

cpfc4evandeva
17-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Sadly though I'm not sure how many of our youngsters we could send down to League 1 who'd get 2 on debut.

The defending on show I think they could in that match.

GreatGonzo
17-11-2009, 03:54 PM
The defending on show I think they could in that match.

Dijali has gone to League 2, he didn't even get 1 on debut and played all game. Lets not detract from how good an achievement it is to score 2 on debut at any level.

Strange that almost any other ex palace player and we would be lording it up about them sticking 2 past the wall on debut etc etc.

Palace made him an offer, had the opportunity to keep him, he didn't feel, whether for money, the chances of playing, the style of football or the quality of coaching that it was as good or better than Spurs offer.

Since JB left (including sub appearances)
Clyne 29 League appearances (3 This season)
Moses 37 League appearances (10 This season)
Scannell 34 League appearances (9 This season)

Would Bostock have played 50 times? Some on here say it like it is without doubt, whereas actually it is highly unlikely he would have.

The rumours that he was told that NW football would not suit him, the knowledge that Palace are not always great when it comes to contracts. Unless anyone has spoken with him personally (and no i have not) how can you know why he left. All i know is that at the PotY a few years ago the feeling was he was going and leaving a lot of his best freinds behind. Lets look at one of them shall we - Lee Hills 18 appearances since Bostock left.

Using him playing at Palace as proof of why he should have stayed is IMO foolish. The question then is how has he benefitted by being at Spurs? Well is he a better player now than when he left us? The next few games at Brentfood will tell us. If he is then yes maybe moving was the right career choice. A few games on loan at League 1, maybe the 2nd half of the season or next year on loan in the CCC and breaking into the Spurs team in the Premiership the following year at 18/19 is still not a bad achievement. How old was Beckham when he broke in at Utd?

It does not look like Palace will be playing in the Premiership any sooner than that and a couple of seasons in the Spurs 1st team and we may well end up getting the 5m most wanted when it went to Tribunal!

sydnsteve
18-11-2009, 12:03 PM
GG, how the **** you can defend that money grabbing little hypoccrite I have no idea. Right decision or wrong, after the total bullshit he spewed out about playing for Palace for nothing, it wan't the money, etc, etc. he can disappear up his own backside as far as I'm conerned. I don't wish him ill or well, just to go away.

GreatGonzo
18-11-2009, 02:30 PM
GG, how the **** you can defend that money grabbing little hypoccrite I have no idea. Right decision or wrong, after the total bullshit he spewed out about playing for Palace for nothing, it wan't the money, etc, etc. he can disappear up his own backside as far as I'm conerned. I don't wish him ill or well, just to go away.

Because i do not know what went on in various discussions he had with the club and with other clubs. I have no idea what sort of offer was made - was it realistic or was it insulting. Given that i do know the club have made several insulting offers to players it would not surprise me if they did take the piss. Why did he leave us for them? I don't know, and nor does anyone posting on this thread i don't believe.

I do think it was the best thing for his career though but only time will tell.

milky87
18-11-2009, 02:34 PM

There is not many players who leave Palace and go on to bigger and better things. Look at Routledge and Watson as prime examples

morlar
18-11-2009, 02:42 PM
A few games on loan at League 1, maybe the 2nd half of the season or next year on loan in the CCC and breaking into the Spurs team in the Premiership the following year at 18/19 is still not a bad achievement. How old was Beckham when he broke in at Utd?

The year he turned 20 Beckham was still at loan with Preston North End (they were in div.3),
and he got his Premier League debut with Manchester United later that year.
Had one league cup game at 17.

GreatGonzo
18-11-2009, 02:56 PM
There is not many players who leave Palace and go on to bigger and better things. Look at Routledge and Watson as prime examples

Arguably both playing very well in a side in the same division as us, so are no worse off, in fact QPR look far better prospects for teh play-offs than us and likely to finish higher up the table. Depends how you define bigger and better things.

I always thought Bostock was going to be player from the first time i saw him in the youth games, and still think he will play for England at senior level. I do not think the way we played last year and to an extent this year would have helped him, he has been training and learning from regular international players for 2 years now. Interestingly for all the debuts he has given the youngsters i challenge anyone to name a young player who has improved and kicked on under NW who seems to prefer the blood and guts of seasoned professionals who have been there and done it. Other threads about selling the kids are talking about how the likes of Scannell and Moses have not kicked on, how selling Clyne will not be the end of the world etc etc.

Did i like Bostock's decsion to leave teh club we all love? No of course not, i wanted to see him playing in the red and blue like everyone else? Doesn't mean it wasn;t the right decision.

Interestingly if he was an average player, no-one would care less, where are the threads about Wiggins leaving or would there be one for Lee Hills? The only reason people are so upset is because deep down they know he is good, they knew it was a matter of time before he was going to go.

StudentEagle
18-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Arguably both playing very well in a side in the same division as us, so are no worse off, in fact QPR look far better prospects for teh play-offs than us and likely to finish higher up the table. Depends how you define bigger and better things.

Yes, Routledge is "no worse off" 4 years after leaving Palace.

Don't know about you, but I plan to have moved up the ranks in my career in 4 years time.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
18-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Yes, Routledge is "no worse off" 4 years after leaving Palace.

Don't know about you, but I plan to have moved up the ranks in my career in 4 years time.

I think the point is, he wouldn't necessarily have been any further up the ladder in his career had he stayed at Palace longer. It's all conjecture.

GreatGonzo
18-11-2009, 03:27 PM
I think the point is, he wouldn't necessarily have been any further up the ladder in his career had he stayed at Palace longer. It's all conjecture.

Yet he is considerably better off financially.

However of course how much he gets paid is probably never an issue for StudentEagle - he works for the love of it, if he earms money that is a bonus!

Routledge specifically was hampered by the injury he picked up just after leaving us, that put him out of the Spurs 1st team picture and stopped him playing regular competitive football.

Watson has been hampered by the all too common problem in football, he was taken to Wigan my 1 manager who 4 months later was no longer there. Played well under Bruce and looked at ease in the Premiership - Martinez doesn't fancy him so much in his style of play.

Dingle
18-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Reading the comments on Brentford's 606 board, they say he was a class above the other players on Saturday and many Bees fans have commented that he is far too good for that level. :( What's most annoying is the fact that with a few games to show what he can do, he'll easily be worth 6/7 million plus, probably 10/15 million plus in a season or two's time. And here we are, on the verge of admistration having to accept cut price bids for our best players as other clubs know how much we need the money. The FA tribunal should have given us what we deserved for Bostock and if they had, we wouldn't currently be struggling to avoid administration. What's the point in having an academy that produces some of the best ENGLISH talent in the country if the ENGLISH FA simply screw us over and allow bigger clubs to take advantage of Palace's brilliant youth set up. It makes my blood boil when I realise just how ******** clueless the FA are when it comes to governing the sport they are appointed to regulate. :veryangry

GreatGonzo
18-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Reading the comments on Brentford's 606 board, they say he was a class above the other players on Saturday and many Bees fans have commented that he is far too good for that level. :( What's most annoying is the fact that with a few games to show what he can do, he'll easily be worth 6/7 million plus, probably 10/15 million plus in a season or two's time. And here we are, on the verge of admistration having to accept cut price bids for our best players as other clubs know how much we need the money. The FA tribunal should have given us what we deserved for Bostock and if they had, we wouldn't currently be struggling to avoid administration. What's the point in having an academy that produces some of the best ENGLISH talent in the country if the ENGLISH FA simply screw us over and allow bigger clubs to take advantage of Palace's brilliant youth set up. It makes my blood boil when I realise just how ******** clueless the FA are when it comes to governing the sport they are appointed to regulate. :veryangry

He is only worth 10/15m if they sell him, in order to be valued at that level he would probably have played 50 times for them.

If that happens then we would have got about 4m for him, if he is sold for more, we get more.

People are talking about selling Scannell on another thread for a 1 off payment similar to what we have already recieved for him. If he reaches the heights many of us hope for then we will get a decent figure.

You want to talk about being ripped off - Fabregas at Tribunal was about 135k i believe! Pique at Tribunal i believe was the same, the English FA you heavily critisise award figures 5 times that of UEFA. If Bostick had gone to Barca, guess what the most we would have got is..... yes you guessed it about 135k!

Dingle
18-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Duplicate post. Please ignore!

Dingle
18-11-2009, 04:06 PM
He is only worth 10/15m if they sell him, in order to be valued at that level he would probably have played 50 times for them.

If that happens then we would have got about 4m for him, if he is sold for more, we get more.

People are talking about selling Scannell on another thread for a 1 off payment similar to what we have already recieved for him. If he reaches the heights many of us hope for then we will get a decent figure.

You want to talk about being ripped off - Fabregas at Tribunal was about 135k i believe! Pique at Tribunal i believe was the same, the English FA you heavily critisise award figures 5 times that of UEFA. If Bostick had gone to Barca, guess what the most we would have got is..... yes you guessed it about 135k!

I know the European laws regarding the transfers of young players have even more of a loophole in than the English laws, allowing clubs to sign youth players for next to nothing. However, the fact that the FA awards more money than UEFA, doesn't mean it's enough, proven by the fact that recruiting youngsters from other clubs academies is still done by lots of larger clubs. If the prices were fair, clubs would be less likely to try and steal youngsters from other clubs as they would know that they would have to pay a fair price for them so financially it wouldn't be as beneficial as it is now.

Tottenham know they have an absolutely sensational player in Bostock and they must be laughing at us, knowing they've paid less than a million for him. You can talk about getting 15% of his transfer fee WHEN TOTTENHAM SELL HIM, but what good is that going to do us now? We might not even be in existance when he comes to leave Tottanham.

GreatGonzo
18-11-2009, 04:08 PM
I know the European laws are even more of a loophole in regards to signing youth players for next to nothing but the fact that the FA award more than UEFA doesn't mean it's enough, proven by the fact that recruiting youngsters is still done. If the prices were fair, clubs would be less likely to try and steal youngsters from other clubs. Tottenham know they have an absolutely sensational player in Bostock and they must be laughing at us, knowing they've paid less than a million for him. You can talk about getting 15% of his transfer fee

Plus the 50k per appearance we get at the moment, going down to i think 25k through to 50 apps. About 1.5m and that is if he turns out to be just an average premiership player!

The risk is that he leaves Spurs early and makes his name elsewhere!

Dingle
18-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Plus the 50k per appearance we get at the moment, going down to i think 25k through to 50 apps. About 1.5m and that is if he turns out to be just an average premiership player!

The risk is that he leaves Spurs early and makes his name elsewhere!

That's the problem. He's not just an average Preiership player. If he was I wouldn't care so much. It's the fact he is, at 17, already showing that he will become a world class player and if the FA had seen the clubs that were after him (Barcelona, Man U, Chelsea, Milan,) they would realise that 750k up front is a joke. And the appearance fees you mention only apply when he plays for Tottenham and are only triggered every 5 games or so. Brentford have the option to have him on loan for the year. He's then got to get 5 games at Tottenham. That's over a year before we start to see any of the appearance fees that Tottenham are suppoed to pay us. What good does that do us when we are in the financial sh*t now?

Owngoal
18-11-2009, 04:23 PM
To be better off financially at Palace you have to have cost us a fortune and done something (or just not be very good) to 'never play for Palace again' - Fletcher, Kuqi and Carle (Lee is at least turning it around).

The point of Bostock was he was so over hyped and in love with Palace that we could be nothing else than disappointed and pi**ed off, it was like your own son not wanting to play for Palace after you took him to every match for 10 years. Personally I'm very disappointed that none of our youngsters have actually established themselves permanently despite some undoubted talent.

GreatGonzo
18-11-2009, 04:23 PM
What good does that do us when we are in the financial sh*t now?

Probably quite a lot, we get the fees now what will happen to the money? We have a financially incompetent chairman. Hopefully by the time the Bostock money comes in we will have a new owner and the money can be used to progress the team!

GreatGonzo
18-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Personally I'm very disappointed that none of our youngsters have actually established themselves permanently despite some undoubted talent.

Please define 'establish', did Soares not play most games until we sold him? Did Watson not become one of teh conerstones of our team during his 6 seasons at the club? Did Morrison not top our scoring charts in all but 1 season he has been with us across 2 spells, only leaving when he was asked to go cos we wanted the money?

You can argue of the current crop none have gone on, but it is, i think a very valid question to ask whether this is down to them or the management? Rare that you get so many come through and none of them kick on.

Dingle
18-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Probably quite a lot, we get the fees now what will happen to the money? We have a financially incompetent chairman. Hopefully by the time the Bostock money comes in we will have a new owner and the money can be used to progress the team!

If we don't have a new chairman (a very likely option,) we will at some point, go into administration, loose our best players, have our lease torn up and probably start sliding down the football leagues. We need money now, not in 3 years when Tottenham decide to start playing a player who Wenger would have already given numerous first team oppertunities to. The way the FA have structured the deal, it is effectively up to Tottenham when they pay us. We were the selling team, it should have been on our terms.

GreatGonzo
18-11-2009, 04:35 PM
If we don't have a new chairman (a very likely option,) we will at some point, go into administration, loose our best players, have our lease torn up and probably start sliding down the football leagues. We need money now, not in 3 years when Tottenham decide to start playing a player who Wenger would have already given numerous first team oppertunities to. The way the FA have structured the deal, it is effectively up to Tottenham when they pay us. We were the selling team, it should have been on our terms.

No we were not the selling team - he was not ours, we had no contract with him.

Any money we would get from Bostock would IMO have little effect on our financial plight, only a change of owner ill do that, but that is another thread and many of them already exist.

Owngoal
18-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Great Gonzo
Obviously I was referring to the current crop of youngsters who were going to be played by Warnock as he is the champion of our youth if you believed the hype. Otherwise yes our youngsters have done well - Sansom, Gilbert, chatterton, murphy, both Hinshelwoods - I could go on but won't..........

GreatGonzo
18-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Great Gonzo
Obviously I was referring to the current crop of youngsters who were going to be played by Warnock as he is the champion of our youth if you believed the hype. Otherwise yes our youngsters have done well - Sansom, Gilbert, chatterton, murphy, both Hinshelwoods - I could go on but won't..........

Had a feeling that would be the case, and so i stand by my comment about the management as the reason why :D

Aaroncpfc
19-11-2009, 12:41 AM
You can argue of the current crop none have gone on, but it is, i think a very valid question to ask whether this is down to them or the management? Rare that you get so many come through and none of them kick on.

I don't like to criticise the job that Neil Warnock is doing but I do feel that at times he's not doing our academy players many favours. It's arguable that Sean Scannell looked better two seasons ago than he does now and the same could be said for Victor Moses. Playing Lee Hills out of posistion last season seems to have done his confidence no good and Kieron Dijiali was bought on at silly times last season for a player with limited experience (Forest with ten minutes to spare and in desperate need of a goal stands out most to me). Nathanial Clyne is probably the only exception.

Makes you wonder if John Bostock would have progressed much if he had stayed with us. Stepping in to the shoes of Ben Watson would have been a very big task for anybody last season after the form he was in for his last year at Selhurst and I don't think Neil Warnock would have given him as much game time as everybody seems to expect.

sydnsteve
19-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Because i do not know what went on in various discussions he had with the club and with other clubs. I have no idea what sort of offer was made - was it realistic or was it insulting. Given that i do know the club have made several insulting offers to players it would not surprise me if they did take the piss. Why did he leave us for them? I don't know, and nor does anyone posting on this thread i don't believe.

I really wish we could stop talking about Bostock, but let's examine the facts. Bostock droned on and on and on, in article after article, about his love for Palace, it was not the money he played for, he simply wanted to play for his beloved club etc, etc. Moses and Scannell, both highly promising, said nothing. Moses and Scannell signed for Palace, and it could not have been at an 'insulting' rate of pay, as both had other clubs interested. Bostock messed the club about, saying he would sign, then went off to Spurs. Had he aimply kept quiet it would have been one thing, but he offered his opinions in several columns about his love for the game and for Palace. So out of him, Moses and Scannell, if he had had any decency he would have been the one to sign. In fact he was the one not to sign. I think he will be a very very good player, but as a person he stinks.

Owngoal
19-11-2009, 10:08 AM
What worries me now is the positive reports on here about some of the next crop of youngsters and how they will be treated (reserves last night, Pinney) by our 'champion' of the younger players. Will we get more money for the likes of Clyne and Moses by not playing them? Will we attract more fans to Selhurst by playing exciting players to watch like Ertl? Will Smith ever make the first team ahead of our own wing talent? Somehow I doubt it in all three cases.

elgin eagle
19-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I really wish we could stop talking about Bostock, but let's examine the facts. Bostock droned on and on and on, in article after article, about his love for Palace, it was not the money he played for, he simply wanted to play for his beloved club etc, etc. Moses and Scannell, both highly promising, said nothing. Moses and Scannell signed for Palace, and it could not have been at an 'insulting' rate of pay, as both had other clubs interested. Bostock messed the club about, saying he would sign, then went off to Spurs. Had he aimply kept quiet it would have been one thing, but he offered his opinions in several columns about his love for the game and for Palace. So out of him, Moses and Scannell, if he had had any decency he would have been the one to sign. In fact he was the one not to sign. I think he will be a very very good player, but as a person he stinks.

Its a shame. you would have thought with his principles, he would have given Palace at least 2 seasons after they trained him since the age of 7. If you had a season ticket at the club you followed and played for in all the under sides, youth and reserve teams, you would feel part of the club surely. Maybe God told him to go to Spurs, or possibly he thought we'd get a fairer tribunal valuation He can't blame the fans for disliking him now. I wonder if him and his dad still have a season ticket. He'd still be able to go if Brentford hadn't taken him on loan.

StudentEagle
19-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Yet he is considerably better off financially.

However of course how much he gets paid is probably never an issue for StudentEagle - he works for the love of it, if he earms money that is a bonus!

Routledge specifically was hampered by the injury he picked up just after leaving us, that put him out of the Spurs 1st team picture and stopped him playing regular competitive football.

Watson has been hampered by the all too common problem in football, he was taken to Wigan my 1 manager who 4 months later was no longer there. Played well under Bruce and looked at ease in the Premiership - Martinez doesn't fancy him so much in his style of play.

A personal dig? Aren't you the charmer.

You commented on his professional status, as did I. I made no reference to his financial position.

Routledge played barely 50 times, mostly as a sub, over 4 years following his departure. Was he better off doing that?

I'm not looking to get into an argument over the rights or wrongs of Routledge's move, I couldn't give a damn. I'm just drawing attention to the fact that you overlooked four years in order to state that Routledge is in "no worse position now".

Gooders
19-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh we're back to "the poor little luvs were badly treated by Palace" are we. ******* hell Gonzo give it a bleedin' rest. :rolleyes:

pardew's shorts
19-11-2009, 04:06 PM

TheMexicanHorse
19-11-2009, 06:22 PM
I think there are legitimate questions to be asked about the way the management are utilising and nurturing the academy graduates.

Jesus christ - Warnock has given 13 academy players their debut since he became manager.

What else his he ******* meant to do?

Why the **** do people dig out Warnock, the best manager we have had in 10 years is above me.

GreatGonzo
19-11-2009, 07:49 PM
A personal dig? Aren't you the charmer.

Sorry wasn't meant as a personal attack. More a comment that so many posts seem to ignore that footballer do this as their job, they pay the high rate of tax and have a shelf life of 10-15 years. 5k a week for 10 years after tax is probably about 1.5m. That is probably enought to set you up for life as long as you do not spend too much.

Therefore when making decisions on who to sign for money HAS to be a key factor at our level, set yourself up, or have to find a job on retirement?

Apologies if you took it as a personal attack.

GreatGonzo
19-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Jesus christ - Warnock has given 13 academy players their debut since he became manager.

Which proves nothing.

I would rather he played 1 who developed than 5 who did not.

So far he has played 13 as you say i challenege you to name 1 of them playing better now than when they first played for us?

I will start

BOSTOCK!

TheMexicanHorse
19-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Which proves nothing.

So far he has played 13 as you say i challenege you to name 1 of them playing better now than when they first played for us?

I will start

BOSTOCK!

Bostock has made one full league start.

:confused:

GreatGonzo
19-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Did you come up with another player who has improved or just disagreeing with my suggestion?

1 game yes - reports saying he looked a class apart from everyone else on the pitch. Lets see what he does this weekend.

Kaberle15
19-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Would Bostock have played 50 times? Some on here say it like it is without doubt, whereas actually it is highly unlikely he would have.

Debating whether he would have played 50 or not misses the point.

And saying as you have in another post that Bostock is a better player now than he was a Palace is irrelevant. He was 16 when he left Palace. He would have been a better player 2 years down the road whether he stayed or went, and I doubt the quality of Tottenham reserve team football has much improved that.

Lost in all your nonsense about how Bostock might have been ruined by Warnock is the fact that he, since his move, has 1 professional start under his belt for BRENTFORD. Whether he would have started 50, or 10, you can be damn sure he would have played more football at this stage of his career, and at a higher level. If he is as good as he appears to be then the move to a big club would still be open to him, and he would be better placed to step straight into a first team squad.

As for his development being better suited away from Warnock's style of football, that is simply BS, if the only point of comparison is a loan move to Brentford, who are hardly Brazil 2.0.

The fact is, we have no idea how he would have developed at Palace, but it certainly wouldnt have been worse for him than his development at Spurs to date.

As I have said before, he will be a quality player DESPITE going to Spurs, not BECAUSE OF. This kid is different to Routledge. He actually WORKS, and he gets it. Routledge saw his move as the end game, not the start.

Gooders
19-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Which proves nothing.

I will start

BOSTOCK!

You're back on ignore mate - you're such a twonk.

Dingle
19-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Debating whether he would have played 50 or not misses the point.

And saying as you have in another post that Bostock is a better player now than he was a Palace is irrelevant. He was 16 when he left Palace. He would have been a better player 2 years down the road whether he stayed or went, and I doubt the quality of Tottenham reserve team football has much improved that.

Lost in all your nonsense about how Bostock might have been ruined by Warnock is the fact that he, since his move, has 1 professional start under his belt for BRENTFORD. Whether he would have started 50, or 10, you can be damn sure he would have played more football at this stage of his career, and at a higher level. If he is as good as he appears to be then the move to a big club would still be open to him, and he would be better placed to step straight into a first team squad.

As for his development being better suited away from Warnock's style of football, that is simply BS, if the only point of comparison is a loan move to Brentford, who are hardly Brazil 2.0.

The fact is, we have no idea how he would have developed at Palace, but it certainly wouldnt have been worse for him than his development at Spurs to date.

As I have said before, he will be a quality player DESPITE going to Spurs, not BECAUSE OF. This kid is different to Routledge. He actually WORKS, and he gets it. Routledge saw his move as the end game, not the start.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kaberle15 again.

GreatGonzo
01-12-2009, 10:21 PM
So far he has played 5 games and has 2 goals and 2 assists!

sydnsteve
02-12-2009, 10:17 AM
And Moses was on fire, after NW not picking him because he said he was not ready.
So, who is right? And Boscock is playing a League below .

AJ
02-12-2009, 03:14 PM
So far he has played 5 games and has 2 goals and 2 assists!

I pulled this from the FL site.

" Additionally, Tottenham are to pay Crystal Palace a further 250,000 after the player has made 5, 10, 20, 30 and 40 first team appearances. i.e. a total further payment of up to 1.25m. "

I think Bostock has now played 3 for Spuds and 2 for Brentford. Does that mean Spuds are due to pay Palace 250k?

GreatGonzo
02-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I pulled this from the FL site.

" Additionally, Tottenham are to pay Crystal Palace a further 250,000 after the player has made 5, 10, 20, 30 and 40 first team appearances. i.e. a total further payment of up to 1.25m. "

I think Bostock has now played 3 for Spuds and 2 for Brentford. Does that mean Spuds are due to pay Palace 250k?

Very much doubt it, will almost certainly only include the games he plays for Spurs.