PDA

View Full Version : Adam Eckersley + various Stoke players

Woodside_CP
22-11-2009, 11:14 AM
From Todays NOTW:

CHAMPIONSHIP top dogs Newcastle and North East rivals Middlesbrough are leading the chase to sign former Manchester United starlet Adam Eckersley.
The 22-year-old full back is currently playing for Danish side FC Horsens, but is keen to move back to England.
Crystal Palace and Swansea are also monitoring the situation closely and scouts have travelled to Denmark to watch the talented youngster play this season on numerous occasions.
The cultured defender is the older brother of Richard Eckersley, who left the Red Devils for Burnley last summer.

Don't know much about him but IMO Butterfield isn't up to it, and if his contract is not going to be renewed, perhaps Warnock has his sights set on Eckersley. Obviously Newcastle and Middlesbro will get him if they want him enough - but these days even swansea have more resources and are more attractive than we are (Craig Beattie). However, if they lose interest and we nip in, this could be a possibility.

Also, in the same paper - there is an article saying Stoke want to off load 10 players in January. Possible loans amongst some of these lot: Dave Kitson, Andy Griffin, Andrew Davies, Tom Soares, Ibrahima Sonko, Richard Cresswell, Amdy Faye, Leon Cort, Michael Tonge and Carl Dickenson.

GodstoneEagle
22-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Expect cresswell from that list.

chatham_eagle
22-11-2009, 11:19 AM
but these days even swansea have more resources and are more attractive than we are (Craig Beattie).

It wasn't a case of them being a more attractive option than us, it's that West Brom were only willing to loan him to us if no other club came in to buy him.

Woodside_CP
22-11-2009, 11:28 AM
It wasn't a case of them being a more attractive option than us, it's that West Brom were only willing to loan him to us if no other club came in to buy him.

Yes but they had the resources to buy him, we only had the resources to pay his wages as part of a loan deal. I'm sure we'd have bought him if we could afford it.

They have money, a new stadium and an ambitious chairman who wants to invest. Unfortunately as long as we have Jordan in charge, we're just stagnating and as far as signing players go, a far less attractive proposition than teams like Swansea.

eagleforlife
22-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Eckersley's out of contract at the end of the season.

SpikeyMatt
22-11-2009, 11:42 AM
They're releasing Leon Cort? Quel surprise.

Great at heading, but errr, thats about it.

Webb
22-11-2009, 11:45 AM
They're releasing Leon Cort? Quel surprise.

Great at heading, but errr, thats about it.

He was powerful in the air, yes. But he had the accuracy of someone with a head the shape of a 50p coin.

Would Tonge be an option? He played under Warnock at Sheff. Utd, didn't he?

AJ's right boot
22-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Soares and Cort back please :)

I know i know........

kabbott
22-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Cort out again.

Door.

SpikeyMatt
22-11-2009, 12:03 PM
He was powerful in the air, yes. But he had the accuracy of someone with a head the shape of a 50p coin.

Would Tonge be an option? He played under Warnock at Sheff. Utd, didn't he?

But when he connected properly. Blimey! I swear he could clear the halfway line from within our own box sometimes. He was pretty gash at everything else mind.

I swear I read Tonge has just gone on loan to Preston. He's a decent player, and yeah he was one of Warnock's at Sheff Utd - did well for a season or two in centre mid with Michael Brown IIRC.

dannyboy1807
22-11-2009, 12:22 PM
WOuldn't go near any of those Stoke players there all pretty shit.

Woodside_CP
22-11-2009, 12:32 PM
WOuldn't go near any of those Stoke players there all pretty shit.

Really? I'd say most of them would get into our team!

Kitson - Easy one. Better than anything we've got up front
Griffin - I'd tak as full back over both Butterfield and Hill.
Davies - only young, would be decent squad player in defence - or full back, again better than both Butters and Hill.
Soares - actually no he's shit and wouldnt want him back
Sonko - better than both Davis and McCarthy so would slot in alongside Fonte
Cresswell - shit, but better target man than Alan Lee. Probably better striker than Stern John as well so would be no.1 senior striker.
Faye - was shit in the prem, esp. for clowns for better than Ertl/N'Diaye as defensive midfielder.
Cort - no thanks, see Soares.
Tonge - skillfull player, would find a place for him in midfield
Dickeson - would give Hill a run for the left back position.

cpfcfan1
22-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Kitson would be ideal IMO, wages would be a problem though

dannyboy1807
22-11-2009, 12:44 PM

Davies - only young, would be decent squad player in defence - or full back, again better than both Butters and Hill.
Cresswell - shit, but better target man than Alan Lee. Probably better striker than Stern John as well so would be no.1 senior striker.
Faye - was shit in the prem, esp. for clowns for better than Ertl/N'Diaye as defensive midfielder.

Kitson - At Boro he is crap now
Griffin - old no better than Butts
Davies - he has ability but will be signing for Sheff Utd we don't need centre back
Soares - once is a enough
Sonko - he is awful
Cresswell - Crock
Faye - dreadful dreadful player
Cort - once is enough
Tonge - over-rated had one good season
Dickenson - no better than Hill/Hills/Clyne

Woodside_CP
22-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Davies - he has ability but will be signing for Sheff Utd we don't need centre back
Sonko - he is awful
Cresswell - Crock
Cort - once is enough

Have to agree to disagree. The others are debatable but you cant argue that Dave Kitson isn't better than what we currently have up front.

Just because he hasn't done well at Stoke doesn't mean he's no better than Alan Lee, Stern John or the other youngster who show promise, but aren't yet upto playing week in week out.

Not that is has any relevance, because we couldn't afford half his wages, let alone the 3m+ that Stoke will presumably want to claw back.

Crunchie
22-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Sonko - he is awful
Cresswell - Crock
Cort - once is enough

I agree.

Oddly enough apart from Kitson and maybe Davies, I think Soares and Cort are at least on par, if not better than the others mentioned.

Still we should stay clear though

m355y
22-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Carl Dickinson's rubbish. When he came to us on loan I expected something a massive step above what we already had, and he was essentially just a big, solid lump who lumbered around, never ventured over the halfway line and was useless with the ball at his feet. Was shocked what a bad footballer was, even at L1 level. Could do no wrong in a lot of the fans eyes because he was supposedly 'well ard' and said all the right things in interviews but having come from a prem club I was pretty amazed he was so bad.

Kitson's a good player. Even Sonko's got a lot going for him in terms of being a big, brick shithouse of a centre-half. The rest in that list are astoundingly uninspiring. It's amazing how average a lot of premiership squad players are these days.

lewisham eagle
22-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Adam Eckerlsley is a left back.

9Freedman9
22-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Makes me laugh how people are saying no to Tom Soares.

A. We couldn't afford his wages anyway.
B. Why would he come back? Our fans are mugs - See above.

He isn't a shit football player, he plys his trade for a team in one of the best leagues in the world, his job is to be a football player, so he must be doing something right? We aren't Manchester United, we aren't in a position to turn talented players down. Soares would easily make the squad, he is a good player.

chatham_eagle
22-11-2009, 08:08 PM
He isn't a shit football player, he plys his trade for a team in one of the best leagues in the world, his job is to be a football player, so he must be doing something right?

Really, how many premier league games has he played in his time there?

9Freedman9
22-11-2009, 08:25 PM

So what? He played in the Premier with us, and has proved he is capable of playing at the Championship level at the minimum. Whether you like it or not he is a good talented player, and we would be in no position to turn him away should the opportunity arise.

917L
22-11-2009, 08:35 PM

917L
22-11-2009, 08:36 PM
So what? He played in the Premier with us, and has proved he is capable of playing at the Championship level at the minimum. Whether you like it or not he is a good talented player, and we would be in no position to turn him away should the opportunity arise.

I know, Soares or Ambrose

Tough one that

9Freedman9
22-11-2009, 08:51 PM
I know, Soares or Ambrose

Tough one that

Soares plays CM. He isn't a winger.

Sussex Eagle
22-11-2009, 08:55 PM

So basically as long as they've a premier league contract and haven't played for us before they're better than what we've already got?

hughff
22-11-2009, 08:58 PM

So what you're saying is, "If we had him before, I don't want him and if we didn't have him, I do." Please rearrange: grass greener always hill other side The is on the of the .

Hedgehog
22-11-2009, 09:03 PM
hughff... off subject... They had a thing about Napier on a travel show last night. Looks a beautiful place.

Barbara4003
22-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Tom should come back.

He didn't even want to go in the first place.

:(

Woodside_CP
22-11-2009, 09:33 PM
So basically as long as they've a premier league contract and haven't played for us before they're better than what we've already got?

No.

I said they would probably get into out team ahead of the likes of Butterfield, Davis, Lee etc.

People really need to take off the rose tinted spectacles and realise a lot our players aren't actually that good. I'm not saying the Stoke players are world beaters, but could be an improvement on what we've already got.

Celestial Empire
22-11-2009, 10:20 PM

Well said that man, precisely what I was thinking.:p

Aaroncpfc
23-11-2009, 02:29 AM
Technically they're all no as we couldn't afford any of them but assuming by some miracle we could actually afford their wages. . .

Yes to Adam Eckersley on the assumption that Lee Hills doesn't show this season that he's good enough to replace Clint Hill.
Yes to Dave Kitson as we haven't got a striker that can score.
Yes to Andy Griffin if we lose somebody as important as Clint Hill.
Yes to Richard Cresswell who I consider as an improvement from Alan Lee.
Yes to Amdy Faye to provide competition for both our captain and the improving Johnny Ertl.

No to Andrew Davies based on the quality of our three current center backs even if Andrew Davies is arguably better.
No to Tom Soares. I liked him when he was here but I do feel that Neil Danns and Nick Carle contribute just as much to what Tom did.
No to Ibrahima Sonko for the same reasons as Andrew Davies.
No to Leon Cort for the same reasons as Andrew Davies.
No to Michael Tonge due to the quality of players in his position.
No to Carl Dickenson who I just don't really rate.

nathe
23-11-2009, 07:07 AM
I'd give my left testicle to get Tonge and Kitson

Walrus
23-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Makes me laugh how people are saying no to Tom Soares.

He isn't a shit football player, he plys his trade for a team in one of the best leagues in the world, his job is to be a football player, so he must be doing something right? We aren't Manchester United, we aren't in a position to turn talented players down. Soares would easily make the squad, he is a good player.

No way I'd pick Soares over Derry and Danns in midfield. N'Diaye now fulfills the "run around a lot in midield" role and, although still has a lot to learn, he has more physical presence in midfield (and the opponent's penalty area) than Soares.

Why would be fork out big wages (and they would be big wages for us even if he took a pay cut) for a squad player?

chatham_eagle
23-11-2009, 10:49 AM

I was making the point that he's hardly set the world alight since he's left us has he? He is a decent Championship standard player, but I wouldn't have him over the team over Ambrose and Danns.

CPFC_DAVE77
23-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but anyone who does not believe that Kitson would be a good addition to our squad is simply incorrect. In fact i'd go so far as to say a confident/in form Kitson is the difference between 13 and 6th place in the CCC. If we get a mobile goalscoring Number 9, we are as good as anyone in this division.

Kirby
23-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Cresswell's on loan at Sheffield United and is expected to sign for them in January.

AJ
23-11-2009, 11:38 AM
I would take Soares back, I think he would provide good depth to our midfield. He isn't nearly as bad as some on here make out.

AJ's right boot
23-11-2009, 11:51 AM
I would take Soares back, I think he would provide good depth to our midfield. He isn't nearly as bad as some on here make out.
Hes a proper Palace lad who didnt want to leave in the first place and can do a very good job when called upon. He should come back!

Aaroncpfc
23-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I like Soares but realisticly all we need is a striker that can finish. Every other area in the team seems to have good players and adequate cover.

Celestial Empire
23-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I like Soares but realisticly all we need is a striker that can finish. Every other area in the team seems to have good players and adequate cover.

John can score alright, but playing him for 10-20mins here and there will never allow him to become match fit. Older players take more time to settle after an injury.

cockles
23-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Assuming the likely wages, I think Stoke will struggle to get rid of most on that list - unless on subsidised loan deals.

Is pretty obvious that we'll get no-one other than (maybe) 1 striker. It would no way be Kitson (cost) plus he'd be poor value for money. I doubt the others would improve what we have already.

Tom Soares leaving did Palace more favours than himself - so nothing against him - just don't think he'd be in our best 4 midfielders. We were lucky to get shot of Cort when we did.

Stavros 69
23-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Son of the ninja!!!!!

Stavros 69
23-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Oh and soars is a piece of shit. We have much better now.

SeaEagle
24-11-2009, 12:40 AM
I'd give my left testicle to get Tonge and Kitson

Because they're only half b*ll*cks?

Gooders
26-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I'd rather we sign Willie Eckerslike