PDA

View Full Version : HULL TO BAG DARREN AMBROSE IN CRYTAL PALACE SALE

AJ's right boot
02-12-2009, 02:23 AM
HULL TO BAG DARREN AMBROSE IN CRYTAL PALACE SALE
ABOVE: Hull boss Phil Brown wants to bag Crystal Palace's Darren Ambrose 2nd December 2009 By Sami Mokbel
HULL want to cash in on Crystal Palace’s money problems by taking Darren Ambrose on the cheap.

The Eagles’ worries deepened last weekend after the club’s staff were asked to take a 10-day pay delay. Palace are preparing to hold a fire sale of their top talent with teenage stars Victor Moses and Nathaniel Clyne already attracting Premier League interest.

And Tigers boss Phil Brown is plotting a cut-price £1m move for former Newcastle and Charlton star Ambrose, who has scored 12 goals this season.

The midfi elder has been in sparkling form, scoring in all of Palace’s last six games. And Brown is eager to bolster his ranks in January ahead of his side’s relegation scrap.

He feels the 26-year-old can revive his once- promising top-fl ight career.

Palace will find it difficult to reject an offer in the region of £1m as they look to fight off the prospect of administration.

:(

Oh shit, let the worries begin.

tasty_snacks
02-12-2009, 02:32 AM
i find this to be pish posh.

Dom the Eagle
02-12-2009, 02:35 AM
Sami Mokbel inventing things again.

AJ's right boot
02-12-2009, 02:36 AM
Yeah hopefully its bull....

hughff
02-12-2009, 06:07 AM
Let's face it, everyone's available. Losing Ambrose would be a bitter, bitter blow right now though.

disco mixx kidd
02-12-2009, 06:51 AM
you can say that again!

cdm61
02-12-2009, 07:02 AM
This is the start of administration - once you sell the main playing assets its over

Zohar Returns
02-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Can someone PLEASE start a thread saying SJ has won the Euro-millions and is rich again so that it stops the vulchers circling!! Better wait until Saturday morning to start it though or it might seem unbelievable!

Travelcard
02-12-2009, 07:17 AM
It's all over dudes, everything must go.

(Not that I believe the original post - I mean a professional journalist beginning a sentence with "And"? Please)

917L
02-12-2009, 07:17 AM
That bloke really is a wanker

cpfc4evandeva
02-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Aren't Hull meant to be financially screwed too?

CPFC Cheerleader Observer
02-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Arent almost all teams Financially screwed?!

Icy
02-12-2009, 07:32 AM
By Sami Mokbel

Someone please kill this bellend

cpfcfan1
02-12-2009, 07:44 AM
I would ignore it, this is going to happen now till January now the whole we are doomed thing is in the air.

Ignore it, support the team and see what happens in January

Chobham Eagle
02-12-2009, 07:47 AM

Maybe so. But it is believable isn't it?

Arron
02-12-2009, 07:50 AM
This is the start of administration - once you sell the main playing assets its over

Nobody has been sold yet, this just looks like exactly the same lazy journalism you always get at this time of the year when players are linked with about every club going. If the tabloid hacks were capable of getting these things right then why back in August did they get it so wrong with Moses, Clyne and Scannell, who shouldn't be at Palace now if they were to be believed.

CPFC_DAVE77
02-12-2009, 07:50 AM
I bet Sami Mokbel is a Liverpool fan. Ambrose, is a goal machine :lux: :lux:

Ruskin Old Boy
02-12-2009, 08:08 AM
That bloke really is a wanker

Seconded.

Tony
02-12-2009, 08:09 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/profiles/images/bob_mortimer.jpg

True or false? False or true?

Could it be false... or could it be true... we just don't know!

Sussex Eagle
02-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Seconded.
To be fair, while Mokbel's pieces do seem negative and deliberately worrisome, he does at least tend to come up with fresh, largely accurate information about the club.

There's not that many journos doing that, and those of us not ITK would be even more in the dark if we only had the official site and the local/online grapevine.

Sussex Eagle
02-12-2009, 08:27 AM
On the other hand, he got Darren's age wrong, nice attention to detail Sami :rolleyes:

eagleforlife
02-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I bet Sami Mokbel is a Liverpool fan. Ambrose, is a goal machine :lux: :lux:

Sami Mokbel's a Palace fan.

917L
02-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Sami Mokbel's a Palace fan.

If thats true, from his reports over the last year or so, not one who gives a f*ck about the club

And in reply to Sussex I dont see anything from him that is fresh, nor turns out to be accurate

Sussex Eagle
02-12-2009, 08:33 AM
And in reply to Sussex I dont see anything from him that is fresh, nor turns out to be accurate
I'm fairly sure I'm correct in saying he broke the pay delay story, for a start?

Big Blue Eagle
02-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Mr Mokbel is not just writing about Palace but his Palace material seems particularly negative. I know he was at the Adder at the time of the ban imposed by Jordan, and was the reporter specifically banned for one of his articles - maybe that has coloured his views? Here is a snippet from that period:

Advertiser welcome at the Palace again
by holdthefrontpage staff
A ban preventing a South London weekly from speaking to its local football club's players and staff has been lifted.

Following a meeting on Monday between Croydon Advertiser editor Ian Carter and Crystal Palace management, all previous embargoes imposed by the club have now been lifted.

Palace's typically outspoken manager Neil Warnock has also resumed his regular weekly column in this week's edition of the Advertiser.

The fallout began last month after the Northcliffe title carried a story in which fans criticised Palace's new-look kit for next season.

The piece upset Palace chairman Simon Jordan and chief executive Phil Alexander who said the paper should have taken the chance to promote May's Player of the Year event instead of criticising the kit.

In an editorial, Ian countered by saying the Advertiser was proud of its association with the club but it would never become Palace's mouthpiece, branding the ban a "ridiculous over-reaction".

Ian told HTFP: "I'm glad we are back on good terms with Palace.

"Our reporter Sami Mokbel has done an excellent job of covering the club in trying circumstances for the past few weeks but it is obviously better for both sides to be on talking terms again."

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/sport/090319banlifted.shtml

He left the Adder in September.

Also, a quick Google of his articles shows that he was predicting Steve McLaren to be Sunderland manager back in May, Arsenal are resigned to losing Cesc Fabregas in November, Rafa is after Heskey in October, is upsetting Villa fans by claiming Agbonlahor is set for Arsenal, and that QPR will pay Leeds £1.5m for Beckford.

He is mostly posting transfer gossip in the Star & Mail at the moment - without quoting any sources.

Lords Eagle
02-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Well it actually conflicts with DA saying he expects to still be an Eagle after January transfer window closes. So who knows?

Big Blue Eagle
02-12-2009, 08:43 AM
This is a picture of the little fella.......he's the one on the right

Sussex Eagle
02-12-2009, 08:44 AM
To be frank, and whilst I agree on the balance of probability this story is likely to be bollocks - a seven figure sum up front for a player we got on a freebie only a few months ago would surely be accepted, and represent terrific business for a club struggling to stay afloat.

It might even enable us to hold on to homegrown players we'd otherwise have to flog for much less than they might end up being worth.

I love Daz right now, but I'm not this represents that awful a scare story.

sheepy
02-12-2009, 08:47 AM
We should turn down any offers below 2 million. Losing Ambrose for less makes not a jot of difference to our overall debt. Whilst we need money, hull need good players to keep them in the league. At the very least hold out for one million with an added incentive of 1.5 mil if Hull stay up.

Gooders
02-12-2009, 08:58 AM
I love Daz right now, but I'm not this represents that awful a scare story.

Without him, we are ****ed.

Sussex Eagle
02-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Without him, we are ****ed.
Would probably kill our outside chance of a play off spot, but do you honestly think we'll get relegated from this sort of position without Ambrose? If the financial situation is as bad as it appears, we can't be too precious about the good of the team always coming first.

cockles
02-12-2009, 09:40 AM
If 'Sami Mokbel' were a user on here I'd block him.

The reason his articles have some accurate already public details is that he is obsessed with negatively writing down Palace.

I presume he has history with SJ or someone at the club.

Godstone Eagle
02-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Would probably kill our outside chance of a play off spot, but do you honestly think we'll get relegated from this sort of position without Ambrose?

Who else is going to score the goals consistently? No-one else has done so far this season, if we sell Ambrose then we will be in big trouble

Freddy Kurz
02-12-2009, 09:45 AM
This is the kind of speculative story that any journo with a close knowledge of
Palace affairs could have written who is desperate to enhance his bank balance
before Christmas at the expense of our beloved club.

It was just a case of putting two and two together, making a few phone
calls and "Bob's Your Uncle"!

Fact 1: Palace have a financial crisis requiring the first team having to wait
for their wages.

Fact 2: Palace have a very saleable commodity: Darren Ambrose with his
12 League and Cup goals already this season.

Fact 3: Hull City are struggling to stay in the Premier League and could do
with more fire-power.

All that remains for the journo to do is to ring Phil Brown asking if he would
be interested in trying to buy Darren Ambrose on the cheap and hey presto!
a story is born capable of interesting anxious fans in SE25 and Hull.....

All the above being so painfully obvious why are so many Palace fans
giving it so much credence?

Just because a media story LOOKS credible, DOESN'T mean that it is
ALL true.....

It is highly unlikely that either Simon Jordan or Neil Warnock would be
prepared to sell a player of Ambrose's quality and importance to the
team, significantly below his value, however dire the club's current
financial position, simply because it would just intensify their crisis.

It is probably to avoid having to hold a "fire sale" of our best players
that Jordan has asked the players to wait for their wages until after
Christmas, in order to get him through a difficult period.

My advice to ALL Palace fans is to stay calm, don't let the yellow
media divide us, and where they can, buy as many future home
match tickets as they can afford, become season ticket holders
or extend them and buy Palace kit and souvenirs as Christmas
presents, paying by Credit Card.

This is all about fighting to try to keep our great club going.

Gooders
02-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Would probably kill our outside chance of a play off spot, but do you honestly think we'll get relegated from this sort of position without Ambrose? If the financial situation is as bad as it appears, we can't be too precious about the good of the team always coming first.

The loss of Ambrose and -10 points and yes, we will be in severe danger.

But that's not really my point.

If we lose him for peanuts after expertly picking him up for nothing and having seen him galvanise us then I just sit here thinking what is the ******* point? Yeah we all want to see the club continue but if every time you take a step forward you take 2 or 3 backwards then it seems to me that it's pretty pointless.

Especially if it's the likes of Hull, a nothing team, that is looking to rape us this time.

I admire Tony enormously for what he is trying to do and as long as Palace exists I will continue to support the club but I hate what football has become and I find it quite soul-destroying, to be perfectly honest. :(

Psychokiller
02-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Fvck off Mokbel

cockles
02-12-2009, 09:57 AM
This is the kind of speculative story that any journo with a close knowledge of
Palace affairs could have written who is desperate to enhance his bank balance
before Christmas at the expense of our beloved club.

It was just a case of putting two and two together, making a few phone
calls and "Bob's Your Uncle"!

Fact 1: Palace have a financial crisis requiring the first team having to wait
for their wages.

Fact 2: Palace have a very saleable commodity: Darren Ambrose with his
12 League and Cup goals already this season.

Fact 3: Hull City are struggling to stay in the Premier League and could do
with more fire-power.

All that remains for the journo to do is to ring Phil Brown asking if he would
be interested in trying to buy Darren Ambrose on the cheap and hey presto!
a story is born capable of interesting anxious fans in SE25 and Hull.....

All the above being so painfully obvious why are so many Palace fans
giving it so much credence?

Just because a media story LOOKS credible, DOESN'T mean that it is
ALL true.....

It is highly unlikely that either Simon Jordan or Neil Warnock would be
prepared to sell a player of Ambrose's quality and importance to the
team, significantly below his value, however dire the club's current
financial position, simply because it would just intensify their crisis.

It is probably to avoid having to hold a "fire sale" of our best players
that Jordan has asked the players to wait for their wages until after
Christmas, in order to get him through a difficult period.

My advice to ALL Palace fans is to stay calm, don't let the yellow
media divide us, and where they can, buy as many future home
match tickets as they can afford, become season ticket holders
or extend them and buy Palace kit and souvenirs as Christmas
presents, paying by Credit Card.

This is all about fighting to try to keep our great club going.

YES, spot on:p

Maximus Dowieus
02-12-2009, 10:00 AM
If 'Sami Mokbel' were a user on here I'd block him.

The reason his articles have some accurate already public details is that he is obsessed with negatively writing down Palace.

I presume he has history with SJ or someone at the club.

SJ has history with plenty of people!

El Aguila
02-12-2009, 10:02 AM
The guy on the left looks more of a traditional journalist. I would like him to cover Palace in the future.

The Gerry Queen
02-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I think that this is a bit faniciful really. Adam Pearson has said that he is demanding savings to fill a huge hole in Hull's finances and expects to be selling a lot of players in the next transfer window. Pearson will be calling the shots, not Brown and he will expect Brown to get the best from their squad in an attempt to retain their current status. Right now Brown has players like Peter Halmosi, signed for £2m two years ago and on huge wages and he has only made around 10 starts. I really don't think that Hull are in a position to gamble on Ambrose and won't be wanting to spend cash they havn't got. In any case they seem to be doing OK right now with Bullard so I think there isn't anything in this really. Sami Mokbel may know someone inside Palace but now he's a national journo he really need to improve his knowledge of other clubs in far off places like Hull.

cockles
02-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Yes, and this story was in the Telegraph yesterday - still a rag, but more credence than anyone at the Star:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/hullcity/6700308/Hull-will-be-forced-to-sell-unwanted-players-in-January-transfer-window.html

Hull will be forced to sell unwanted players in January transfer window
Hull City chairman Adam Pearson has admitted he will have to off-load fringe figures to keep the Premier League club’s best players when the transfer window re-opens.

Maximus Dowieus
02-12-2009, 10:07 AM
This guy is a journo and I assume he is "just doing his job". The notion that he has some kind of agenda and is writing articles like this purely to damage and undermine Palace I would suggest smacks of a bit of paranoia. As BBE has said he has written similar articles about other clubs about transfers that have not yet happened and he is not the first or the last journo to do so. What do we want, the ability to censor him or to gag him?

If the article is false then this outcome will clearly not happen.
If the article is true it may happen.
The point is the fact that he has written it will not make it happen or make it more likely to happen!
It wont make Phil Brown think "oh yes I'll go and pick up Ambrose on the cheap, what a good idea"
Do you think other clubs and managers are completely oblivious to Darren Ambrose' form?

sydnsteve
02-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Of course they are! They don't read the tables in the papers with the top scorers in. Surely you realise that?

If that did happen for a million, we would truly know we were on the way to oblivion. personally I think it shit. Everyone has a price, but that much for the League's top scorer, no way.

cockles
02-12-2009, 10:16 AM
This guy is a journo and I assume he is "just doing his job". The notion that he has some kind of agenda and is writing articles like this purely to damage and undermine Palace I would suggest smacks of a bit of paranoia. As BBE has said he has written similar articles about other clubs about transfers that have not yet happened and he is not the first or the last journo to do so. What do we want, the ability to censor him or to gag him?

The point is the fact that he has written it will not make it happen or make it more likely to happen!
It wont make Phil Brown think "oh yes I'll go and pick up Ambrose on the cheap, what a good idea"
Do you think other clubs and managers are completely oblivious to Darren Ambrose' form?

I don't think I am paranoid. If this was an isolated incident, then absolutely you are right. However, this is semi-constant.

This journalist produces such crap on a pretty much daily basis, and is pretty much the only national journalist doing so. Total hack if ever there were.

Aside from that, it actually happening eventually does not make it good journalism. His scatter gun approach to this crap is bound to hit a prediction which works out every now and then.

I hope no-one on here buys "The Star" by the way.

Edit: Funnily enough some such stories may actually help Palace out if players are to be sold - already I see on a Hull page that some actually would prefer Moses. If SJ must sell (pretty likely) I'd rather have 2 bidders, than 1.

limited_edition
02-12-2009, 10:16 AM

Do you think other clubs and managers are completely oblivious to Darren Ambrose' form?Gotta agree. Mokbel's not half as bad as the previous Palace reporter on the Adder, Slymes who negative, almost tabloid sensationalism on Palace news got on my wick. Slymes was awful.

Ralph
02-12-2009, 10:21 AM
To sell all our players and then go into Administration will result is in us most definitely being relegated with the 10 point deduction.

To go in to Administration now and try to keep the playing squad together to battle the 10 point deduction may just save us.

Ok, SJ you decide, is Palace first or yourself??

NateEagle
02-12-2009, 10:23 AM
I dont want this to happen as much as the next palace fan...but trying to be realistic in the current situation...picking him up on a free and selling 6-12months later for a million quid is very good business. Especially if it means we dont have to sell one of moses or clyne. He is on cracking form and long may it continue but he has also had some fairly poor seasons...i'm not knocking him, just trying to be positive about this whole crap affair

Alpine Jr
02-12-2009, 10:25 AM
If thats true, from his reports over the last year or so, not one who gives a f*ck about the club

If he is a Palace fan - does that mean he should ignore the stories?
How would that make him look if other journos were breaking those stories first - considering the nationals know he used to work at the Adder?
People forget the guy has a job to do?

All these stories from him have turned out to be true: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/106386/Palace-pay-row/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1231895/Crystal-Palace-pay-crisis-wages-delayed-10-days.html
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/99090/Eagles-ban-No-2-/

Sussex Eagle
02-12-2009, 10:26 AM
To sell all our players and then go into Administration will result is in us most definitely being relegated with the 10 point deduction.

To go in to Administration now and try to keep the playing squad together to battle the 10 point deduction may just save us.

Sorry to be horrendously patronising, but do you remember/know what administration entails?

Unless it's a pre-pack job, we'll see an outside administrator take charge, seeking to balance the books/repay creditors. Our best players would get sold a lot quicker and cheaper in administration.

glaziers fan
02-12-2009, 10:27 AM

Good analysis...

except if we sell all our players we a) won't go into administration and b) we won't have a team! ;)

Brod
02-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Maybe the strategy is to survive until after January, with selling just one player in the transfer window, and go into Admin in Feb? Keeps the squad together till the summer and gives us a fighting chances of beating the drop.

On an absurdly optimistic note, can we be promoted if we're in Admin? :p

Brod
02-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Good analysis...

except if we sell all our players we a) won't go into administration and b) we won't have a team! ;)

Even if we sell all our players, not sure we won't go into Admin :sob:

limited_edition
02-12-2009, 10:34 AM
I dont want this to happen as much as the next palace fan...but trying to be realistic in the current situation...picking him up on a free and selling 6-12months later for a million quid is very good business. Especially if it means we dont have to sell one of moses or clyne. He is on cracking form and long may it continue but he has also had some fairly poor seasons...i'm not knocking him, just trying to be positive about this whole crap affairIf a Prem team comes with an offer for any of our players, I'm realistic to know that he's likely to go. :(

So long as that offer's not derisory.

brighton_eagle
02-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I think that this is a bit faniciful really. Adam Pearson has said that he is demanding savings to fill a huge hole in Hull's finances and expects to be selling a lot of players in the next transfer window. Pearson will be calling the shots, not Brown and he will expect Brown to get the best from their squad in an attempt to retain their current status. Right now Brown has players like Peter Halmosi, signed for £2m two years ago and on huge wages and he has only made around 10 starts. I really don't think that Hull are in a position to gamble on Ambrose and won't be wanting to spend cash they havn't got. In any case they seem to be doing OK right now with Bullard so I think there isn't anything in this really. Sami Mokbel may know someone inside Palace but now he's a national journo he really need to improve his knowledge of other clubs in far off places like Hull.

I agree with all this.

Mokbel seems to have an agenda.

west country boy
02-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Mokbel looks like a spiv.

Cleon
02-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Jordan will be doing everything he can to avoid Administration - it has been documented that the person who stands to the lose the most is the club's largest creditor - one Mr S Jordan.

I don't believe this story is even vaguely accurate, but if somebody was going to move for Ambrose then I fail to see how we could even hope to turn down a £1M offer.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
I dont want this to happen as much as the next palace fan...but trying to be realistic in the current situation...picking him up on a free and selling 6-12months later for a million quid is very good business. Especially if it means we dont have to sell one of moses or clyne. He is on cracking form and long may it continue but he has also had some fairly poor seasons...i'm not knocking him, just trying to be positive about this whole crap affair

Similar to Charlton with Hudson.

Except he's not as good as Ambrose, obviously.

Sandowneagle
02-12-2009, 11:11 AM
If it makes anybody feel any better I honestly don't think Palace intend to sell Ambrose, saying that it doesn't mean it won't happen, especially if the player becomes disillusioned about everything going on around him.

I posted months back on other threads about the players I have heard Palace would consider losing in Jan and NW is supposedly ok with it. I have never heard Ambrose ever mentioned. I do expect to lose Danns (sale or loan), Carle (sale or loan) as well as the kids. The big worry as I have always said is Jules. I really fear we may lose him especially in a WC season. I don't think Palace or NW want that but it can't be long before an offer we can't refuse comes in.

silver
02-12-2009, 11:22 AM
we have 5 games to play before jan so lets just get 15 points,and see what happens then

Brod
02-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Let's face it, we've always been a selling club. If we get a good offer, we'll sell.

It's just what we classify as a "good offer" has changed lately.

jone-zee
02-12-2009, 11:28 AM

He also has a Facebook account etc
Ive just had a look at some of his articles, only a quick one mind. Seem to be positive in most articles except Palace.
http://www.journalisted.com/sami-mokbel?allarticles=yes
Would appear that He was the reason The Adder was banned from Selhurst.
People say he is a Palace Fan????

kolinkins
02-12-2009, 11:30 AM

He also has a Facebook account etc
Ive just had a look at some of his articles, only a quick one mind. Seem to be positive in most articles except Palace.
http://www.journalisted.com/sami-mokbel?allarticles=yes
People say he is a Palace Fan????

He's a twat trying to make a name for himself

Beatleboy
02-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Of course they are! They don't read the tables in the papers with the top scorers in. Surely you realise that?

If that did happen for a million, we would truly know we were on the way to oblivion. personally I think it shit. Everyone has a price, but that much for the League's top scorer, no way.

I agree with that. Normally people on here over-estimate the value of our players. Darren Ambrose is on fire, is scoring goals and looks a very classy player now. He has just equalled Ian Wright's, "six goals in 6 games record" and that shows his consistency.

I reckon that taking into account his age, and the Club's financial position, you would be looking at a selling price of £2 million minimum.

The Bishop
02-12-2009, 11:31 AM

Exactly.

This is nothing more than yet more mischief making.

DaveP
02-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Because of the situation at the club currently i am expecting between now and the end of January that at least 75% of playing squad will be linked with other clubs.

Journalists will use any situation possible at clubs to fill their columns and as always i expect less than 10% of transfer rumours will actually come true!

Halfwayline
02-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Terry Venables once said that you should sell a player when he over achieving. It is great that Ambrose has hit 12 goals but I can not see him scoring another 12 this season and another 24 next year.

He is probably worth £1m to 2m. May be a bidding war among the lower Prem teams. Not much tallent available in Jan. In the end we need to keep the club alive.

If sadly all our top players go and we can raise £6m we can have another year or so to find a buyer.

Jukesy
02-12-2009, 11:43 AM

On the basis that we need £400,000 a month to survive, selling any player for £1.5-2 million would keep the club solvent until the end of the season, thus staving off administration and giving SJ more time to find a buyer in an improving economic climate.

I know it hurts, but would our season REALLY end if we lost one of Ambrose, Moses, Clyne or Speroni? And for the record, if Jules was to go £5 million would be the starting point for negotiations IMHO.

gold76
02-12-2009, 11:44 AM
would be a major blow to lose him, as he's "on fire" at the moment.

but looking at it in terms of finance, we got him on a free, if a £1 million plus bid comes in then we're in no position to refuse.

gold76
02-12-2009, 11:46 AM
On the basis that we need £400,000 a month to survive, selling any player for £1.5-2 million would keep the club solvent until the end of the season, thus staving off administration and giving SJ more time to find a buyer in an improving economic climate.

I know it hurts, but would our season REALLY end if we lost one of Ambrose, Moses, Clyne or Speroni? And for the record, if Jules was to go £5 million would be the starting point for negotiations IMHO.

Speroni is the one that worries me the most, thankfully, as yet, no one has been linked with him. we'd struggle to replace him more than anyone else

Kirby
02-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Hull can eat my shit and Phil Brown can shove that microphone up his orange geordie arse.

ForestGateEagle
02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Quote:
]Originally Posted by 917L[/B]That bloke really is a wanker

Ruskin Old Boy:Seconded.

Or perhaps a jobbing journalist, trying to earn a crust. Don't shoot the messenger!

jone-zee
02-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Quote:

Or perhaps a jobbing journalist, trying to earn a crust. Don't shoot the messenger!
Or Journo with an Agenda.
Find some evidence of Positive Stories involving Palace that he has touted about and people may change their mind.

jone-zee
02-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Terry Venables once said that you should sell a player so I get a massivecut as I am his agent.

EFA

ANDYEAGLE
02-12-2009, 12:08 PM

I like your optimism about an improving economic climate. I really can't see that for many years despite the financial market hype. Things will almost certainly get worse imo.
As for SJ finding a buyer. He has been looking for 6 years now and he must be now just trying to recoup something.
I would not like to see anyone sold,but we are in a beggars situation and the club survival is the most important. 5 million for Jules. If we were offered 5 million for all those 4 you mentioned we would probably take it at present:sob:

Neil the Eagle
02-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Don't dismiss this out of hand, Sami has some very good sources within the club.

From what I saw last season, covering the occassional game for the SLP, he was also well liked by many of our players.

And yes, he's a Palace fan.

Dingle
02-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Thing is, would Ambrose want to move? In my opinion the answer is no. He's only just arrived here, is getting his career back on track and clearly enjoys working under Warnock. He doesn't strike me as the type who would jump ship as soon as a better offer (if you could call Hull a better offer!) comes in. Even if we accept an offer for him, it wouldn't surprise me if he chooses to stay here.

ANDYEAGLE
02-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Even if we accept an offer for him, it wouldn't surprise me if he chooses to stay here.

Of course he would go.

red&blue_moomin
02-12-2009, 01:00 PM

Going into administration would necessitate selling our saleable assets to satisfy our creditors, theres not anything else of value apart from the stadium and training ground and selling those would'nt allow us to still be a going concern. Heres a question for you, do you want to sell our players for less than they are worth (an administrator is appointed to look after the major creditors and still leave a functioning company at the end of it, does'nt say what league etc it has to be in does it) and have a 10 point deduction........At least if the club sells them we might see some value and potential return in clauses. Forget promotion the reality is that player sales are pretty inevitable. If the kids go potentially we can soldier on in around mid table as they've not been used all that much. Look how many kids are getting loan experience right now........thats a bit unusual for us is'nt it.

Stavros 69
02-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I would hate to lose him to that prick Brown.
Take your karaoke head set and shove it up your japs eye !!!
Come sing a song on our pitch, i'm sure we'll give you a warm reception.

ForestGateEagle
02-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Or Journo with an Agenda.
Find some evidence of Positive Stories involving Palace that he has touted about and people may change their mind.

Not sure that a journalist's job is to submit positive stories about any organisation in order to establish their credibility

TONBRIDGE EAGLE
02-12-2009, 01:06 PM
:sob: As former players have not been paid and the rent is in arrears and now the current players are having to wait for wages,what an earth was the recent £5,000,000 cash injection spent on?
If that money has solved nothing a £1,000,000 for Ambrose will last about a week or two and even another £5,000,000 not much longer!

Clapham Grand
02-12-2009, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=Maximus Dowieus]This guy is a journo and I assume he is "just doing his job". The notion that he has some kind of agenda and is writing articles like this purely to damage and undermine Palace I would suggest smacks of a bit of paranoia. QUOTE]

Wise words

David
02-12-2009, 01:18 PM
This is very bad news. He is our main goal scoring outlet, but his form is such that he has clealry recaptured the form which saw Newcastle buy him in the first place. If he goes, good luck to him, he's been an absolute joy to watch and it's quite clear to every Palace fan that he, along with Julian, are playing at a lower level than they should be.

100% Warnock's best ever signing!

Chris K
02-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Quote:

3 days, 3 negative stories about Palace yet barely anything from any other journos. I'm more than happy to shoot the messenger in this case

swissroll
02-12-2009, 01:21 PM
:sob: As former players have not been paid and the rent is in arrears and now the current players are having to wait for wages,what an earth was the recent £5,000,000 cash injection spent on?
If that money has solved nothing a £1,000,000 for Ambrose will last about a week or two and even another £5,000,000 not much longer!

What £5million injection? I think that statement was up there with the purchase of the ground one as to its accuracy.

SpikeyMatt
02-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Phil Brown can shove this up his arse...along with his bottle of St Tropez.

Mic-ed up, Britney Spears wannabe tosspot.

Kaberle15
02-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Come on people.

NO QUOTE EQUALS NO STORY.

Its not a done deal until its a done deal. Until then, less panic, and lets just worry about the stuff that is a certainty. Like the Doncaster match this Saturday and the opportunity for another 3 points.

Seba
02-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Come on people.

NO QUOTE EQUALS NO STORY.

Its not a done deal until its a done deal. Until then, less panic, and lets just worry about the stuff that is a certainty. Like the Doncaster match this Saturday and the opportunity for another 3 points.

How dangerously sensible of you.

jone-zee
02-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Not sure that a journalist's job is to submit positive stories about any organisation in order to establish their credibility

Well he sems to have no problem with that regarding other Clubs.

ChiswickEagle
02-12-2009, 01:55 PM
From what I can see, Hull have in excess of 12 midfielders on their books and are some £27m in debt. I'm not losing too much sleep over Hull.

NateEagle
02-12-2009, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=Halfwayline]Terry Venables once said that you should sell a player when he over achieving. It is great that Ambrose has hit 12 goals but I can not see him scoring another 12 this season and another 24 next year.

He is probably worth £1m to 2m. May be a bidding war among the lower Prem teams. Not much tallent available in Jan. In the end we need to keep the club alive. QUOTE]

Agreed and what i was getting at. A million quid is good business and he may return to the form he was on at Charlton (one of two reasons we got him for free) and he will be worth next to nothing again.

Normally id say no cos of the way he is playing at the mo but in our financial situation there is a need to make money and there are other players that id rather see stay (that are worth some dosh anyway).

ugly and fat
02-12-2009, 02:03 PM
i have seen it said somewhere,that some fee's from transfers that we EXPECT to happen in jan (Victor?) have ALREADY been spent on the debt???
(we know the money is coming in,so its already been spent)

Beanie
02-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Anybody ever work out how many of these stories are actually true? If these journos actually knew anything clubs like Man Utd and Chelsea would have squads in three figures having bought just about every player on the planet. It's mostly total rubbish that gets dressed up as a "story". stories about Palace are no different.

We may sell him, or others - but the odds are that this is yet another invention. Lets get bothered if anything actually happens.

Penge Eagle
02-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Football fan does not like story = journalist is a wanker/lazy.

What a joke!

Sami is a Palace fan.

Typical Palace
02-12-2009, 02:39 PM
He's a twat trying to make a name for himself
Says Kolinkins!

What's an aspiring journo meant to do? Lie low? Conceal stories he knows about?

If you are as good as he is at his job at yours then come back and talk about it.

Typical Palace
02-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Not true.

Typical Palace
02-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Fvck off Mokbel
Why swear at the messanger?

Penge Eagle
02-12-2009, 03:04 PM
It's funny how some people on here are happy to criticise a fellow Palace fan for making up a story, then make up untrue stories about him!

Do these same people criticise him for writing positive stories? He's a good bloke in those instances... :hmph:

cranesparkeagle
02-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Hull are also in debt. We should hold out for a lot more than that cos Hull cannot afford more.

ThisIsDoM
02-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I really can't see this happening. Ambrose is in the form of his life after years of mediocrity so why would he risk going back to his previous performances when everything is going so right for him.

Big Blue Eagle
02-12-2009, 03:26 PM
It's funny how some people on here are happy to criticise a fellow Palace fan for making up a story, then make up untrue stories about him!

Do these same people criticise him for writing positive stories? He's a good bloke in those instances... :hmph:

The thing is that since he sparked the fall out with the Adder over negative reactions to this year's kit he has NOT written anything positive - only broken negative stories. The previous Associated Press man in the Palace know, Neil Ashton, was grabbed from the Mail to go to the NotW based in Manchester as chief football writer, so has naturally stopped writing Palace stuff

ForestGateEagle
02-12-2009, 03:33 PM
3 days, 3 negative stories about Palace yet barely anything from any other journos. I'm more than happy to shoot the messenger in this case

Are you saying that he was wrong, when he reported that Palace players were to have their pay deferred by 10 days? Other journos seemed quick enough to pick up and confirm the story.

Shooting the messenger doesn't make bad news go away. That's a trick that dictatorships try - with no long term benefit.

Sometimes the truth quite hurts. And the fact that Palace are struggling finacially is just one of those painful truths.

ForestGateEagle
02-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Well he sems to have no problem with that regarding other Clubs.

The fact that better news emerges from other clubs is hardly his fault.

Please try to get this into perspective. Palace is in trouble, he is a journalist and is reporting it.

Would you prefer him to be applying North Korean standards to news reporting and tell the world that all is well with the club? This is the kind of delusional behaviour that has dropped the club in trouble before, notably when Goldberg held the strings.

917L
02-12-2009, 03:51 PM

No one can find any

Ruskin Old Boy
02-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Also, a quick Google of his articles shows that he was predicting Steve McLaren to be Sunderland manager back in May, Arsenal are resigned to losing Cesc Fabregas in November, Rafa is after Heskey in October, is upsetting Villa fans by claiming Agbonlahor is set for Arsenal, and that QPR will pay Leeds £1.5m for Beckford.

He is mostly posting transfer gossip in the Star & Mail at the moment - without quoting any sources.

Re Mokbel ... worth bumping this part of BBE's post

David
02-12-2009, 04:22 PM
I really can't see this happening. Ambrose is in the form of his life after years of mediocrity so why would he risk going back to his previous performances when everything is going so right for him.

Because he is better than the Championship. Class is permanent, form is temporary. He's had a few bad years now he is realising his potential and then some.

Walrus
02-12-2009, 04:33 PM

A double-your-money-at-least contract offer, perhaps? Anyway, let's wait and see if this is anything more than the journo doing a speculative 2+2 = 4.5 equation.

jone-zee
02-12-2009, 04:51 PM
The fact that better news emerges from other clubs is hardly his fault.

Please try to get this into perspective. Palace is in trouble, he is a journalist and is reporting it.

Would you prefer him to be applying North Korean standards to news reporting and tell the world that all is well with the club? This is the kind of delusional behaviour that has dropped the club in trouble before, notably when Goldberg held the strings.

But there has been good news. Look at the Academy for a start. Look at the way our youngsters have performed .

Im not disputing Palace are in the cack, blimey even someone as Stupid as Me (eh ChelmsfordEagle ;)) Can see thatbut He aint helping by heaping negativity onto it!

thereichstuff
02-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Exactly , its all specalation atm . I dont like this reporter he has a agenda against the club of that i have no doubt . Please dont think all he says is true it probably is passed on to him from out of favour players who maybe want to get into journalism ;) I know the club is in trouble ( im not that daft ) but it does seem all the storys are coming from him .

nathe
02-12-2009, 05:12 PM
I will start worrying when the brown stuff does hit the fan.

It's only speculation at the moment and i will start panicking when things start to go nipples north.

bern5161
02-12-2009, 05:15 PM
sadly, i don't think ambrose, nor anyone else in the squad, will have much say in the matter if a decent offer comes in

thereichstuff
02-12-2009, 05:24 PM
sadly, i don't think ambrose, nor anyone else in the squad, will have much say in the matter if a decent offer comes in They wont bern , but as nathe has said worry about it if it happens !

RDSdaEAGLE
02-12-2009, 05:29 PM
But there has been good news. Look at the Academy for a start. Look at the way our youngsters have performed .

Im not disputing Palace are in the cack, blimey even someone as Stupid as Me (eh ChelmsfordEagle ;)) Can see thatbut He aint helping by heaping negativity onto it!

The problem is though that we are in an utterly desperate situation - and the sale of Ambrose is a possibility as a result.

A journalists job isn't to paint a positive picture. If - as many have already said - Sami is a Palace fan, I very much doubt he enjoys writing these kind of articles. But that is his job - good or bad.

And for those saying 'no quote = no story', the majority of football speculation is based on what is said off the record.

TheArtfulDodger
02-12-2009, 05:32 PM

I would definatly agree with this, hopefully Ambrose will see sense and stay too, why mess it up ?

Celestial Empire
02-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Sorry to be horrendously patronising, but do you remember/know what administration entails?

Unless it's a pre-pack job, we'll see an outside administrator take charge, seeking to balance the books/repay creditors. Our best players would get sold a lot quicker and cheaper in administration.

Spot on.
I wish people would stop this loose administration talk. It will definitely damage the club and might become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Once confidence goes, we'll be in deep trouble. That's exactly why Mokbel is such a toxic little shite - why doesn't he go and start speculating about the Clowns or Watford ?
There is not a shred of evidence that we are "near administration", just a load of witterings and speculation from people who should really know better.

There is a strong suspicion that a certain ex-Spurs coach was mainly responsible for conning Bostock away, now we allegedly have (marginalised ?)players feeding Mokbel stories. The Jordans should give this some attention.

nathe
02-12-2009, 05:47 PM
I might buy shares in companies that sell incontince pads because the way people are shitting themselves sales will go through the roof.

Just relax and lets worry about things when they happen.

Celestial Empire
02-12-2009, 06:38 PM
It might be worth remembering that most Champs teams and a goodly number from the Prem, will be looking to trim squads in January. We might see the first buyers market in years. SJ might find a lack of takers for our crown jewels, let alone the Lawrences and Carles.

cockles
02-12-2009, 06:46 PM

Agree.

Plus with the number of Palace loanees out on the Football League - Palace might have a higher number of youth/reserves of this quality than even any Premiership club. Might be worth a story to look into that. (I am thinking more about the likes of Cadogan and Djilali than Stern John).

RDSdaEAGLE
02-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Agree.

Plus with the number of Palace loanees out on the Football League - Palace might have a higher number of youth/reserves of this quality than even any Premiership club. Might be worth a story to look into that. (I am thinking more about the likes of Cadogan and Djilali than Stern John).

Not sure about that.

Spurs, for example, have more than ten loanees currently playing at other clubs.

Oscar Jansson - Exeter City *****il 1st December 2009)
Troy Archibald-Henville - Exeter City *****il December 2009)
John Bostock - Brentford *****il 13th December 2009)
Sam Cox - Histon *****il 13th December 2009)
Andros Townsend - Leyton Orient *****il 31st December 2009)
Jake Livermore - Derby County *****il January 2010)
Jamie O'Hara - Portsmouth *****il January 2010)
Tomas Pekhart - Slavia Prague *****il 2nd Feb 2010)
Adel Taarabt - QPR *****il the end of the season)
Kyle Walker - Sheffield United *****il the end of the season)
Jon Obika - Yeovil Town *****il the end of the season)
Ryan Mason - Yeovil Town *****il the end of the season)
Steven Caulker - Yeovil Town *****il the end of the season)
Mirko Ranieri - Ipswich Town *****il the end of the season)

SeaEagle
02-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Just relax and lets worry about things when they happen.

Probably not the best advice to someone who's shitting himself...

Brummie Allan
02-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Sami Mokbel is a prize prick and I can't be bothered to read any articles written by him:veryangry

cockles
02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Not sure about that.

Spurs, for example, have more than ten loanees currently playing at other clubs.

There you are, you are already doing a better job than Sami Mokbel :p

andy m
02-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Not sure about that.

Has the swear filter blanked out "unt"?

andy m
unt

andy m
Bizarre.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
02-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Because of the open bracket :)

zonin2000
02-12-2009, 08:33 PM
*****il

Penge Eagle
02-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Sami Mokbel is a prize prick and I can't be bothered to read any articles written by him:veryangry

Brumie Allan is a prize prick and I can't be bothered to read any posts written by him. :)

Nth Kent Eagle
02-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Agree.

It would not surprise me if a Premiership club were looking at Ambrose. Dead ball specialists who also have a knack of popping up in the box to score goals and who can shoot accurately from distance are not that common. He proved he could hack it at Newcastle in the Premiership and now at Palace. Okay he had a bad run at Charlt*n but they were pony last year anyway.

Mind you, we should ask for more than £1m. Actually, some of our youngsters would probably step up to the plate and surprise us last Clyne did last year.

Syph1979
02-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Breaking News: Sami Mokbel is a sh!te journalist trying to make the move from local chip wrapping to national chip wrapping. Does he write about any other club?

jone-zee
02-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Brumie Allan is a prize prick and I can't be bothered to read any posts written by him. :)

Hi Sami :hi: How about You do a positive atticle about the likes of Tony, Orpington Pisshead 1 etc on The BBS and what they are trying to achieve this Saturday?

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?t=193746
http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?t=193809

Ruskin Old Boy
02-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi Sami :hi: How about You do a positive atticle about the likes of Tony, Orpington Pisshead 1 etc on The BBS and what they are trying to achieve this Saturday?

Well said :p

Gooders
02-12-2009, 11:13 PM
All the journo's sticking together as usual. A bit of objectivity wouldn't go amiss, rather than the usual old boys club chaps.

There was an article in the Torygraph today saying that Hull owe more than £2million in unpaid agents (spit) fees.

What with that and the "6 or 7 players" that the new chairman says they must lose, one has to wonder how this hack came up with them as Ambrose's likely destination.

If he goes, and I suppose we must reconcile ourselves to the fact that he may well do, I'll wager it won't be to poxy little Hull.

Psychokiller
02-12-2009, 11:16 PM
So not only are you a completely shit journalist but you also try to con desperate people out of their homes as a sideline? Nice....

Penge Eagle
02-12-2009, 11:25 PM
So not only are you a completely shit journalist but you also try to con desperate people out of their homes as a sideline? Nice....

Funny how people were calling me Richard Cawley when I defended him on a thread about the South London Press a couple of months ago. Now I'm Sami Mokbel! :p

Why do the keyboard warriers on here have to make everything so personal? :hmph:

Penge Eagle
02-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Breaking News: Sami Mokbel is a sh!te journalist trying to make the move from local chip wrapping to national chip wrapping. Does he write about any other club?

He has made it at national level and is doing a job that you'd love to do, but never will. :bash:

Psychokiller
02-12-2009, 11:32 PM
He has made it at national level and is doing a job that you'd love to do, but never will. :bash:
Yes, that's right, everyone on this website wishes that they could work as a journalist for a shite Millwall rag. That's the pinnacle of everyone's ambition. Everyone. In the whole wide world.

anna matronic
02-12-2009, 11:35 PM
LOL :D Well I went to college with Sami and have had unfortunate dealings with Penge in the past ;)

I can confirm Sami IS NOT Penge Eagle.

Sami is totally lovely though :) Penge on the other hand .....

Neil the Eagle
03-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Yes, that's right, everyone on this website wishes that they could work as a journalist for a shite Millwall rag. That's the pinnacle of everyone's ambition. Everyone. In the whole wide world.

:hi:

Well it works for some.

(And besides, that's not what he said)

Neil the Eagle
03-12-2009, 12:27 AM
All the journo's sticking together as usual. A bit of objectivity wouldn't go amiss, rather than the usual old boys club chaps.

Nice try, but I don't think the journos are the ones lacking in objectivity on this thread.

For example, despite it being pointed out that Sami had nothing to do with the Adder ban last Feb/March (indeed, it was based on an editorial decision outwith of the whole Sports dept), yet people are still quoting this as hard fact because it suits their perception. The true story is all on here, if anyone had cared to check.

FWIW I've no idea whether there's any truth in this story, but just because Hull might have to sell several high-earning squad players, that doesn't neccessarily mean they won't be in a position to pick up the odd bargain after the clearout. After all, it's not so different from the scenario that brought Darren Ambrose to our club in the first place.

glaziers fan
03-12-2009, 03:00 AM
Are we really going to sell in January again to dent our play-off hopes, like last year?! I can't see it myself...

We're in exactly the same position as last year. In and around the play-offs and on form after a slow start. Paddy is injured, and teams are swooping for our stars.
But this time they are not going to be out of contract at the end of the season (like Ben Watson was), and we don't have any loans ending in Jan. Plus we have Claude Davis, and plenty of strikers.

If we hold on to everyone we will make the play-offs imho. I guess the only concern would be centre-back if Davis got injured, but DannyB has done a job there, and I reckon Ertl could do a job there too, now that he is accustomed to CCC football.

Beatleboy
03-12-2009, 03:38 AM
Are we really going to sell in January again to dent our play-off hopes, like last year?! I can't see it myself...

We're in exactly the same position as last year. In and around the play-offs and on form after a slow start. Paddy is injured, and teams are swooping for our stars.
But this time they are not going to be out of contract at the end of the season (like Ben Watson was), and we don't have any loans ending in Jan. Plus we have Claude Davis, and plenty of strikers.

If we hold on to everyone we will make the play-offs imho. I guess the only concern would be centre-back if Davis got injured, but DannyB has done a job there, and I reckon Ertl could do a job there too, now that he is accustomed to CCC football.

The only problem with your analysis is that you have completely ignored our dire financial plight!

Decisions to sell, will unfortunately be finance, not football, related.:(

Based on everything that has been said on here, we will have to sell to survive as a Club.

orp pisshead1
03-12-2009, 05:08 AM
Glaziers isn't in the real world though and doesn't realise we'll probably lose 6 players by end of january.

CPFC_DAVE77
03-12-2009, 07:54 AM
I wonder how people will feel about a million pound bid if he stops scoring? Don't get me wrong he looks a tidy player with a good set piece in his locker. But he seems to go missing for long parts of games where Danns remains visible. I like him but he wont keep his scoring record up forever; in fact I wouldn't mind betting he manages no more than 5 after Xmas.

nicknackpalace
03-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I wonder how people will feel about a million pound bid if he stops scoring? Don't get me wrong he looks a tidy player with a good set piece in his locker. But he seems to go missing for long parts of games where Danns remains visible. I like him but he wont keep his scoring record up forever; in fact I wouldn't mind betting he manages no more than 5 after Xmas.

I'm not greedy but I'd hope for more than £1million based on his curent scoring record and the fact that he has certainly been recognised in the past as aplayer with real potential, although I agree he's unlikely to score as many in the second half of the season.

It would be a major blow to lose him, both in what he brings to the team at the moment and psychologically.

jone-zee
03-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Funny how people were calling me Richard Cawley when I defended him on a thread about the South London Press a couple of months ago. Now I'm Sami Mokbel! :p

Why do the keyboard warriers on here have to make everything so personal? :hmph:

Keyboard Warrior? LOL oh well.

I didnt really think you were Mokbel. your posts are too articulate ;) it would be good to see a positve reported as stated above, You never know It may even help things

palacemaniac
03-12-2009, 09:14 AM

Yeah just like Watson, overated, we wouln't miss him at all :rolleyes:

The Gerry Queen
03-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Nice try, but I don't think the journos are the ones lacking in objectivity on this thread.

For example, despite it being pointed out that Sami had nothing to do with the Adder ban last Feb/March (indeed, it was based on an editorial decision outwith of the whole Sports dept), yet people are still quoting this as hard fact because it suits their perception. The true story is all on here, if anyone had cared to check.

FWIW I've no idea whether there's any truth in this story, but just because Hull might have to sell several high-earning squad players, that doesn't neccessarily mean they won't be in a position to pick up the odd bargain after the clearout. After all, it's not so different from the scenario that brought Darren Ambrose to our club in the first place.

Hull's position is potentially worse than ours in that they still don't know the level of their debt and they may well struggle when they lose quite a bit of their financial backing in January. They aren't looking at just losing a few high earners, more like half the squad which, given that they too don't own their ground, is their only real asset. I don't think that Darren Ambrose, who made a big thing of not leaving London in his decision to come to us, would uproot his family to come to Hull to face a near certain negative outcome next year which could either involve relegation or administration or both.

Gooders
03-12-2009, 11:30 AM

You see, this is why us laypeople talk about shoddy journalism.

Please explain to me how us picking up Darren Ambrose on a free-transfer is in anyway similar to Hull possibly trying to nab him on the cheap whilst he is under contract?

There was a time when journalism was a proper profession but let's face it, these days it's just a game of chinese whispers.

I expect there are more facts posted on the BBS in one day than there are in a year's supply of Daily Star sports articles.

They do have better tits though, I'll give you that.

Nelson Muntz
03-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah just like Watson, overated, we wouln't miss him at all :rolleyes:
Would you have Watson in our midfield now?

cockles
03-12-2009, 11:40 AM

"con desperate people out of their homes..... "

What's that about PK?

pardew's shorts
03-12-2009, 11:41 AM

917L
03-12-2009, 11:52 AM
"con desperate people out of their homes..... "

What's that about PK?

Check PEs profile, theres a link there

Selhurst Celtic
03-12-2009, 11:58 AM
I expect there are more facts posted on the BBS in one day than there are in a year's supply of Daily Star sports articles.

Get yourself to the Cherries on Saturday after the match and wait for Sheriff Fatman to be played on the wheels of steel.

Then you may reassess who indeed has the best tits.

(Sorry NtE!)

cockles
03-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Check PEs profile, theres a link there

Thanks - explains everything:(

west country boy
03-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Check PEs profile, theres a link thereAnd his signature. What a lovely man.

rhiannapaul
03-12-2009, 12:44 PM
if he keeps grabbing the headlines , i can see a bidding war s few other will come in for him,, but we so need him we are right in the mix selling himwould kill that for us no one else is scoring !

Neil the Eagle
03-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Gooders, the similarity to which I was referring to was simply that Palace moved on 6 or 7 allegedly high earners and picked up Ambrose & a couple of others relatively cheaply.

Superficial, perhaps, but I don't cliam to have any in depth knowledge of the alleged problems facing Hull.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Elephant with mouse gyp
03-12-2009, 12:50 PM
It was perfectly clear, NtE.

The stuff on Mokbel on here is a disgrace.

glaziers fan
03-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Glaziers isn't in the real world though and doesn't realise we'll probably lose 6 players by end of january.

:D

Our assets won't be losing value. SJ will at least struggle thru and see if we can reach the play-offs this year I would imagine :p

Granada allover
03-12-2009, 12:58 PM
... and then glaziers fan woke up and smelt the winding-up order.

west country boy
03-12-2009, 12:59 PM
The stuff on Mokbel on here is a disgrace.He does look a bit spivvy though.

Selhurst Celtic
03-12-2009, 01:02 PM
He does look a bit spivvy though.

His surname sounds a bit foreign as well. Is he local?

http://www.babelgum.com/thumbnails/clips/143680_500x276.jpg

Gooders
03-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Gooders, the similarity to which I was referring to was simply that Palace moved on 6 or 7 allegedly high earners and picked up Ambrose & a couple of others relatively cheaply.

Superficial, perhaps, but I don't cliam to have any in depth knowledge of the alleged problems facing Hull.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

It wasn't (I'm not a mind-reader, unlike the elephant man) but thanks for clarifying. :p

PalaceOfVariety
03-12-2009, 01:30 PM

Hey girls - aren't you going to dispute this?

glaziers fan
03-12-2009, 02:03 PM
... and then glaziers fan woke up and smelt the winding-up order.

lmao

Penge Eagle
03-12-2009, 02:40 PM
LOL :D Well I went to college with Sami and have had unfortunate dealings with Penge in the past ;)

I can confirm Sami IS NOT Penge Eagle.

Sami is totally lovely though :) Penge on the other hand .....

Haha, I'm just trying to think who you are... Sophie, Joleyn? :)

Penge Eagle
03-12-2009, 02:47 PM

If you are the sports editor of a national newspaper, which story would you use?

Premier League club chasing player who is scoring every week in the Championship?

OR

Fans of Championship club meeting with their vice-chairman to discuss ways of getting more people to games?

It's an easy decision to make.

Sami wrote plenty of positive stories while working for the Croydon Advertiser but you and others seem to forget this as it does not suit your agenda. Having a hatred of someone you have not even met, who is actually a really nice bloke, is quite pathetic.

Penge Eagle
03-12-2009, 02:50 PM

What's the Millwall rag he works for?

kolinkins
03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
If you are the sports editor of a national newspaper, which story would you use?

Premier League club chasing player who is scoring every week in the Championship?

OR

Fans of Championship club meeting with their vice-chairman to discuss ways of getting more people to games?

Sami wrote plenty of positive stories while working for the Croydon Advertiser but you and others seem to forget this as it does not suit your agenda. Having a hatred of someone you have not even met, who is actually a really nice bloke, is quite pathetic.

He's craving attention to try and make it big, and he doesnt care who he hurts in the process. He's got a bad name for himself already among some very credible footy journos. His cards have been marked. And thank feck for it.

Il Padrino
03-12-2009, 03:32 PM
He's craving attention to try and make it big, and he doesnt care who he hurts in the process. He's got a bad name for himself already among some very credible footy journos. His cards have been marked. And thank feck for it.

That may be so, but if he keeps breaking stories that go national like the wages thing he will make it big.

As a journalist, I won't knock him for breaking ones like the players not being paid, but you have to questions publications that will print something with no qoutes, no sources - even protected ones. Its blogging, basically

kolinkins
03-12-2009, 03:33 PM
That may be so, but if he keeps breaking stories that go national like the wages thing he will make it big.

As a journalist, I won't knock him for breaking ones like the players not being paid, but you have to questions publications that will print something with no qoutes, no sources - even protected ones. Its blogging, basically

One of the Times' journos called him exactly that. A blogger.

Big Blue Eagle
03-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I think you make a very good point - a lot of journalism now veers very close to a blog presented as facts. This trend has also been boosted by the insatiable need to fill 24x7 channels like SSN which have to have something to talk about, and there is a real risk throughout the media world of opinion being interpreted as factual news. Look how radio phone ins suddenly become fact and solid truth about the state of the public mind.

Journos now have so many "sources" in addition to the usual chats behind the changing rooms with disaffected players - they have places like this for a start.

One response to a post a while back by Neil.

I have no particular axe to grind about Mokbel. I think some of his writing and reporting seems incredibly lazy - this being a classic example. And on the Adder - I seemed to have started that line - but if you read the original post, there is a direct quote from the editor saying that an article by SM over the fans reaction to the kits, rather than reporting on Fan of the Year (early example maybe of attention seeking style?) caused the rift between the paper and the club.

Shortly after that, Mokbel left the Adder. Those are facts - the exact reasons for the departure will of course be nowhere near as simple I am sure.

As others have said - papers go for the negative rather than the positive - they think it sells more papers and generates more controversy. So that will inevitably colour what SM writes versus what he hears. A negative or scandalous story about Palace will get him better coverage than some of the players saying how ithe situation doesn't bother them and they are just looking forward to Saturday.

Celestial Empire
03-12-2009, 03:46 PM
It was perfectly clear, NtE.

The stuff on Mokbel on here is a disgrace.

That's a matter of opinion.
IMO, Mokbel is a disgrace.
Imagine making a living by writing serial sensationalist 'bad news' stories about the club that you supposedly support. Truly pathetic.

Elephant with mouse gyp
03-12-2009, 03:54 PM
You don't think players not getting their wages is bad news? How did you want him to spin it? "Palace find innovative way to improve cash flow: promotion now guaranteed"?

Il Padrino
03-12-2009, 03:58 PM
You don't think players not getting their wages is bad news? How did you want him to spin it? "Palace find innovative way to improve cash flow: promotion now guaranteed"?

Thats a legitimate story though, which is attributed.

This Hull story - with no qoutes, sources, attribution - is less credibe than things written on toilet walls.

I think he is selling it on the back of getting the wages story in the national press to be honest.

Elephant with mouse gyp
03-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Thats a legitimate story though, which is attributed.

This Hull story - with no qoutes, sources, attribution - is less credibe than things written on toilet walls.

I think he is selling it on the back of getting the wages story in the national press to be honest.

Maybe he heard something from another journo, or maybe he flew a kite like Freddie reckons in his post a few pages back? We don't know. Off the record, therefore no-quote, pieces are not rare. But even if he is the scummiest journalist in world history, the idea that his stories have any affect on the financial situation is laughable. Total red herring.

griggs
03-12-2009, 04:06 PM
HULL TO BAG DARREN AMBROSE IN CRYTAL PALACE SALE
ABOVE: Hull boss Phil Brown wants to bag Crystal Palace's Darren Ambrose 2nd December 2009 By Sami Mokbel
HULL want to cash in on Crystal Palace’s money problems by taking Darren Ambrose on the cheap.

The Eagles’ worries deepened last weekend after the club’s staff were asked to take a 10-day pay delay. Palace are preparing to hold a fire sale of their top talent with teenage stars Victor Moses and Nathaniel Clyne already attracting Premier League interest.

And Tigers boss Phil Brown is plotting a cut-price £1m move for former Newcastle and Charlton star Ambrose, who has scored 12 goals this season.

The midfi elder has been in sparkling form, scoring in all of Palace’s last six games. And Brown is eager to bolster his ranks in January ahead of his side’s relegation scrap.

He feels the 26-year-old can revive his once- promising top-fl ight career.

Palace will find it difficult to reject an offer in the region of £1m as they look to fight off the prospect of administration.

:(

Oh shit, let the worries begin.

Sorry just where is this article from? It's not even listed on his website, very suspicious adn scaremongering.

Il Padrino
03-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Maybe he heard something from another journo, or maybe he flew a kite like Freddie reckons in his post a few pages back? We don't know. Off the record, therefore no-quote, pieces are not rare. But even if he is the scummiest journalist in world history, the idea that his stories have any affect on the financial situation is laughable. Total red herring.

No, they are not rare, but they are not right. The most common ones are about football and celebrities, where most audiences take everything with a pinch of salt.

If you have something off the record the correct way to do things is cite them as an un-named source. If you can't even do that, your story should go nowhere near an editor.

I've been doing this for 10 years and no publication I've ever worked on would have accepted a story with so much supposition and nothing to back it up.

Sussex Eagle
03-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Sorry just where is this article from? It's not even listed on his website, very suspicious adn scaremongering.
It's on the Star's website.

And wow, the headline is actually spelt 'CRYTAL'.

GodstoneEagle
03-12-2009, 04:12 PM
:D

Our assets won't be losing value. SJ will at least struggle thru and see if we can reach the play-offs this year I would imagine :p
you missed out the "NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT" at the end.

Elephant with mouse gyp
03-12-2009, 04:20 PM
No, they are not rare, but they are not right. The most common ones are about football and celebrities, where most audiences take everything with a pinch of salt.

If you have something off the record the correct way to do things is cite them as an un-named source. If you can't even do that, your story should go nowhere near an editor.

I've been doing this for 10 years and no publication I've ever worked on would have accepted a story with so much supposition and nothing to back it up.

Fair enough and good luck to you, but as you say, this kind of thing is par for the course with football, especially on transfer rumours. Often they are planted by players, agents or clubs themselves.

Here's one in The Sun today:

PORTSMOUTH'S John Utaka is being lined up for a loan move to Celtic.

Pompey are set to let striker Utaka, 29, leave in January - with a view to a permanent switch.

Utaka cost the south coast club £7million back in 2007 but the ex-Rennes ace has failed to live up to his star billing at Fratton Park.

That has fewer facts than the Mokbel piece.

Il Padrino
03-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Fair enough and good luck to you, but as you say, this kind of thing is par for the course with football, especially on transfer rumours. Often they are planted by players, agents or clubs themselves. .

You're right. It goes against everything you are ever taught and practice.

If my publication ran a story about one company buying another, or laying people off with no back-up, we'd have angry CEOs and libel lawyers on us like a tonne of bricks.

I guess people just accept in stories about football and the latest thing to go up Katie Price

scottydogger
03-12-2009, 04:26 PM

Aye, no quotes or anything. :p He's had his shot at EPL football anyway.

Penge Eagle
03-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Some of the posts about Sami are pretty defamatory and should be deleted by the moderators, in my view.

Selhurst Celtic
03-12-2009, 04:34 PM
The people that made those comments could always claim that they actually came from 'a close source' I reckon.

Il Padrino
03-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Some of the posts about Sami are pretty defamatory and should be deleted by the moderators, in my view.

Very possibly, but there is also a huge case that his Ambrose story is defamatory to Palace.

thereichstuff
03-12-2009, 05:02 PM
It's on the Star's website.

And wow, the headline is actually spelt 'CRYTAL'.You sure it wasnt "CRITICAL"

Penge Eagle
03-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Very possibly, but there is also a huge case that his Ambrose story is defamatory to Palace.

How is that then?

kolinkins
03-12-2009, 05:05 PM
How is that then?

You seem very defensive about this all.

AJ
03-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Hull's position is potentially worse than ours in that they still don't know the level of their debt and they may well struggle when they lose quite a bit of their financial backing in January. They aren't looking at just losing a few high earners, more like half the squad which, given that they too don't own their ground, is their only real asset. I don't think that Darren Ambrose, who made a big thing of not leaving London in his decision to come to us, would uproot his family to come to Hull to face a near certain negative outcome next year which could either involve relegation or administration or both.

I disagree. Even if Hull come bottom of the Prem, they are going to get countless millions in parachute money for the next 2 years, which last season was over 11m. Palace have somewhere around 1m in TV money. Saying that, with the two top teams in the Division currently team relegated from last season, Palace could pick up an extra 300-400k at the end of the season as parachute money from one of them would be shared out.
I know which position I would rather be in.

Il Padrino
03-12-2009, 05:11 PM
How is that then?

Pick a badly performing company FTSE 100 and write on your blog/website that they are selling off property in a "fire sale" and see how long it takes the libel lawyers to get in touch...

Even though we know that probably have to sell players, SJ is well within his rights to take action against the fire sale statement.

Penge Eagle
03-12-2009, 05:12 PM
You seem very defensive about this all.

Just answer my bloody points, alright! :)

Penge Eagle
03-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Pick a badly performing company FTSE 100 and write on your blog/website that they are selling off property in a "fire sale" and see how long it takes the libel lawyers to get in touch...

Even though we know that probably have to sell players, SJ is well within his rights to take action against the fire sale statement.

Very bad example.

1) You or Palace do not know if the story about Hull wanting Ambrose story IS false, so how could it be libelous?

2) Anyway, football clubs do not usually sue newspapers over transfer gossip.

The Gerry Queen
03-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I disagree. Even if Hull come bottom of the Prem, they are going to get countless millions in parachute money for the next 2 years, which last season was over 11m. Palace have somewhere around 1m in TV money. Saying that, with the two top teams in the Division currently team relegated from last season, Palace could pick up an extra 300-400k at the end of the season as parachute money from one of them would be shared out.
I know which position I would rather be in.

That is logical but Hull's problem is that there is reputed to be a projected hole in their finances in the region of £19m should they be relegated to the Championship at the end of this season. I understand that that includes factoring in £7m parachute monies for next season and whatever leverage they can apply from the promise of another £7m the season after. A big squad on huge wages and Prem contracts with release clauses ect. Do you remember the number of big signings they tried to swing last summer with Michael Owen, Bobby Zamora, Danny Murphy, Frazier Campbell and others who ran a mile once they started to talk about contract details. Whatever scared them off hasn't gone away and if anything is much worse out in the open.

917L
03-12-2009, 05:27 PM

Bless

Il Padrino
03-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Very bad example.

1) You or Palace do not know if the story about Hull wanting Ambrose story IS false, so how could it be libelous?

2) Anyway, football clubs do not usually sue newspapers over transfer gossip.

The part about a fire sale, nothing to do with Hull.

Please,please don't try and tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about - I've been doing it a decade.

If I write a story about a company being forced to sell off their assets in a "fire sale" because they are in financial trouble they have every right to commence legal action if they dispute it

Once the lawyers get involved, if I have a source I'm safe if not, its brown trousers time.

You claim to be a journalist, you should know this.

Brummie Allan
03-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Brumie Allan is a prize prick and I can't be bothered to read any posts written by him. :)Journalist, conman you can go on my ignore list as well, twat.

Duffle Coat
03-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Should we take the money now, or should I say should SJ take the money now ? Better to wait and hope that Darren Ambrose keeps on scoring, takes us up the table, and then we win a promotion place worth 30m. Go on there Palace !:lux:

AJ's right boot
How is that then?
:hi: Hi sami

sw16girl

Only if it isn't true - if it is true then it is not libellous.

In this case I'm willing to bet that Sami has more than enough sources to be wearing white trousers without fear.

However to suggest that people taking a swing at the messanger is defamatory is a bit precious.

Il Padrino
03-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Only if it isn't true - if it is true then it is not libellous.

In this case I'm willing to bet that Sami has more than enough sources to be wearing white trousers without fear.

However to suggest that people taking a swing at the messanger is defamatory is a bit precious.

He should have quoted a source, even an unnamed one

No publication would run that story without one for fear of legal action, mine included after showing the legal advisor the piece

sw16girl
03-12-2009, 06:03 PM
He should have quoted a source.

No publication would run that story without one for fear of legal action, mine included after showing the legal advisor the piece

Surely journos often do not quote sources "someone close to the prime minister" being pretty standard. As long as he can show his lawyers the source and they are happy then he is in the clear and I would imagine the Daily Star have a bank of experienced libel lawyers. It doesn't have to be on the story but it does have to be accurate.

100% Palace
03-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Why all the fuss, after all, I've never heard of Crytal Palace.

Il Padrino
03-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Surely journos often do not quote sources "someone close to the prime minister" being pretty standard. As long as he can show his lawyers the source and they are happy then he is in the clear and I would imagine the Daily Star have a bank of experienced libel lawyers. It doesn't have to be on the story but it does have to be accurate.

if you have a source, mention it, even if it's like the example you just used. It's plain safe practice.

The least I'd want in a story about a company shedding staff for instance is 'a company source said...'

The other thing that should be said is that he may well have done this only for a subby to cut it out!

sw16girl
03-12-2009, 06:12 PM
if you have a source, mention it, even if it's like the example you just used. It's plain safe practice.

The least I'd want in a story about a company shedding staff for instance is 'a company source said...'

The other thing that should be said is that he may well have done this only for a subby to cut it out!

So really you are saying it is good practice to stop the libel lawyers sharpening the knives. Fairy snuff.

Celestial Empire
03-12-2009, 06:42 PM

OR

Only two groups would be interested in this stuff: Palace followers and rivals/competitors. I wouldn't think it is that easy a choice. Or do you think there are 60M people hanging on the next bad news story from Palace.
I am sure Sami is a lovely bloke - in a Martin Bashir kinda way.:hmph:

Celestial Empire
03-12-2009, 06:48 PM

Your assertion is laughable. Much bigger fragile companies than Palace have been brought down by rumours damaging confidence.

Il Padrino
03-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Only two groups would be interested in this stuff: Palace followers and rivals/competitors. Iwouldn't think it is that easy a choice. O)r do you think there are 60M people hanging on the next bad news story from Palace.
I am sure Sami is a lovely bloke - in a Martin Bashir kinda way.:hmph:

Who do you think is the best reporter for palace stuff?

Cawley at the slp for me, like the story he did today with going to the Pfa, which nobody else has bothered to do

Gooders
03-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Anyone know which Portsmouth players Hull will be signing, now that they haven't been paid?

Nth Kent Eagle
03-12-2009, 07:02 PM

OR

Just for the benefit of an open minded person like myself, is there any real evidence taht this story is true? I am always wary of journalists who print stories but do not write their source. Also, is he a personal friend of yours? I am just wondering why you are defending a journalist so strongly who is writing potentially bad news about the club that we all live and breathe?

thehalifaxman
03-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Given that Palace seemingly need to sell anyone to pay the bills and avoid administration its not discountable that they may have put a story out there to let clubs no he is saleable. Just saying this given this guy seems to have links with the club.
Just putting it out there this probably has no truth in this just a though.

Penge Eagle
03-12-2009, 08:29 PM

Have you worked as a football reporter?

Freddy Kurz
03-12-2009, 09:23 PM

Indeed! Surely many reputable journalists take a pride in never revealing
their sources especially if they are seeking to safeguard the identity of a
"whistle-blower"! Some of them have preferred to go to jail rather than
do so, although doubt if many football journos come into this category.....

Elephant with mouse gyp
03-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Much bigger fragile companies than Palace have been brought down by rumours damaging confidence.

Football transfer rumours? I'd be interested to hear some examples.

If talking about Palace having a January sale is such a no-no, you might as well include the BBS in your sin bin.

Celestial Empire
03-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Football transfer rumours? I'd be interested to hear some examples.

If talking about Palace having a January sale is such a no-no, you might as well include the BBS in your sin bin.

Don't be disingenuous my man, you know very well that Mokbel's charge sheet goes way beyond "transfer rumours".

Alpine Jr
03-12-2009, 09:57 PM
If this Mokbel ever comes on the BBS then he must be laughing big time! At the end of the day he's a national journalist and all you've done is speak about him for the past two days. He must be doing something right!

Elephant with mouse gyp
03-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Don't be disingenuous my man, you know very well that Mokbel's charge sheet goes way beyond "transfer rumours".

Ok, then which of the business side stories were "rumours". The transfer bans and unpaid wages stories weren't rumours.

Celestial Empire
03-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Ok, then which of the business side stories were "rumours". The transfer bans and unpaid wages stories weren't rumours.

:S: Sorry, don't want to play.

ChiswickEagle
04-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Article re Adam Pearson

"Hull's biggest signing during that period was Jimmy Bullard, who moved to the KC Stadium in January for a club record £5m. Pearson says there will be no such spending in the next transfer window, when the focus will be on cutting the existing wage bill. Hull, who have debts of around £9m, were warned when their accounts were published in October they would need to raise £23m to meet liabilities if relegated from the Premier League this season.

"I am hoping for fringe players and players who are not in the long-term plans who can move out," said Pearson. "Obviously that is going to depend on them getting the right clubs and right moves for them.

"There may be one or two loans or bits and pieces coming in to try to strengthen but unfortunately we are probably going to have to go with the strength we have got because the financial side is a little bit tight."

sydnsteve
04-12-2009, 11:44 AM
This makes the Hull story most unlikely, though £1 million probably fits into the 'bits and pieces' in the Prem to be fair.

Chris K
04-12-2009, 01:26 PM
If this Mokbel ever comes on the BBS then he must be laughing big time! At the end of the day he's a national journalist and all you've done is speak about him for the past two days. He must be doing something right!

Judging by some people's responses on this thread and then other responses they have made to other threads in the past, and some of the stories Mokbel has written in the press in the past i'd say its pretty likely he already is on the BBS :p

Psychokiller
04-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Are only football reporters allowed to comment on this subject then?

Il Padrino
04-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Yes, and in the Palace press office so have seen first hand how the club reacts to stories they dont like

The Gerry Queen
04-12-2009, 02:32 PM
This makes the Hull story most unlikely, though £1 million probably fits into the 'bits and pieces' in the Prem to be fair.

The story is a rosy PR job by Pearson designed to prepare Tigers fans for a rocky transfer window and his definition of a 'Fringe ' player is I'm sure quite different to Phil Brown's. The £9m current debt is quite a consevative estimate and could be much, much bigger than that. Pearson has come back and is caught between trying to stabilise City and retain a long term view while it would appear that Duffin , who was the appointee of Board members still with a lot of clout at the Club, was heading onto a Premiership or bust route. Either way Ambrose would effectively uproot his young family for about five months in Hull before he would need to consider moving again. Hopefully he will stay with us however there will be more attractive prospects than Hull who will be interested in him I fear.