PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Derry

kiwieagle
08-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Wanted by Barnsley on a free transfer, all Palace players up for sale this comes from the Daily Mirror.

sw16girl
08-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Wanted by Barnsley on a free transfer, all Palace players up for sale this comes from the Daily Mirror.

The "all players up for sale" bit is true various football agents have been contacted by the club giving them that information - who knows about the rest - however presumably in the Summer if they want him for free.

thefox
08-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Where do his family live , up north still or down here ?

Shipsisourking
08-12-2009, 08:05 AM
another story to make our day a happy one :(

sydnsteve
08-12-2009, 08:38 AM
This is getting utterly ridiculous. How on earth can all players be for sale? We don't have a big squad as it is. What is Jordan planning to do, play the academy?

LeeH
08-12-2009, 08:41 AM
How on earth can all players be for sale?
You get the feeling sometimes he is trying to make sure he is coming out of this with his pockets lined before he jumps ship. however, I hope that if this HAS to happen then it is a book blancing exercise.

Lords Eagle
08-12-2009, 08:42 AM
This is getting utterly ridiculous. How on earth can all players be for sale? We don't have a big squad as it is. What is Jordan planning to do, play the academy?

Of course they're not selling all the players, just saying that they're open to offers for anybody, once they have the right level of capital in, the sale stops, talk about over-reaction!

Big Blue Eagle
08-12-2009, 08:50 AM
You get the feeling sometimes he is trying to make sure he is coming out of this with his pockets lined before he jumps ship. however, I hope that if this HAS to happen then it is a book blancing exercise.

That is a ridiculous statement to make - he is putting players in the shop window to raise cash to keep the club going until a buyer comes through.

Big Blue Eagle
08-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Of course they're not selling all the players, just saying that they're open to offers for anybody, once they have the right level of capital in, the sale stops, talk about over-reaction!

Agreed - every player at every club is in reality for sale. Look at Man U selling Ronaldo and Arsenal selling Henry - they got offers they couldn't refuse. And it is interesting in the Ronaldo example how very little of that cash has come to Ferguson and they have just pulled out of an agreed deal. Maybe they need the cash to service debt as well?

The fact that we have John, Flahaven, Djilali, Wright, Pinney, Thomas, Cadogan and until recently Hills out on loan (and were supposedly willing to let Danns go as well) shows that we can survive with a reduced squad.

The Mirror is putting Derry's contract situation (like Hill & Butterfield) together with a need to raise cash. Unless they wait until July, Barnsley would not get Derry for free - certainly in the current climate at Palace as mere wage reduction is not enough.

Gazza2
08-12-2009, 08:56 AM
All the players can be signed for free once pay is 14 days late.

Owngoal
08-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Players were to be paid today at the earliest. Bet it doesn't happen before the match tonight.

sydnsteve
08-12-2009, 09:21 AM
That is a ridiculous statement to make - he is putting players in the shop window to raise cash to keep the club going until a buyer comes through.

The club has paid wages late for 2 months as the banks are insisting on the cash being there, which Jordan cannot provide. If you think we are in anything but deep shit, I suggest you think again. And there is no buyer!

Aunty Alyce
08-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Where do his family live , up north still or down here ?

His folks are still in Nottingham.

Needs must, let the world know that CPFC will listen to offers for all players and if the offers are too good to turn away, take them. I am sure NW will have some say in who goes whilst he will also know the club needs to survive. It will be a tough balancing act for NW and SJ. Thank the Lord we have an acadamy still. Without that we would be in League 2 by now and probably out of business. Also thank SJ for the Acadamy, one of his investments for CPFC.

Princess
08-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Actually his wife and children live locally.

Cleon
08-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm sure Barnsley do want Shaun Derry on a free.

Unless we genuinely can't pay the wages, then I can't see any chance of this happening before his contract expires in the summer.

Of course, if they want to pay something for him, then I imagine Jordan has no choice but to listen to offers on the entire squad.

Big Blue Eagle
08-12-2009, 09:57 AM
The club has paid wages late for 2 months as the banks are insisting on the cash being there, which Jordan cannot provide. If you think we are in anything but deep shit, I suggest you think again. And there is no buyer!

Try reading what I was responding to - the suggestion that this was to line Jordan's pockets - of course we are in the poo - hence I SAID that players are for sale to keep the club going

Aunty Alyce
08-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Players going out of contract and then being able to leave on a free in one of our biggest problems. Players out of contract have no value when you are trying to sell the club. Having said that players with contracts are a liability. Much better when I played footie, 1 subs per game.

cpfcfan1
08-12-2009, 10:11 AM
How depressing :(

Gooders
08-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Palace players wanted on free transfers by the likes of Banrsley?

Feck. :(

LeeH
08-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Let's hope you're right but unless you know something that the rest of us don't, I'd take off the rose tinted specs and see that Jordan isn't the saint we all would like him to be.

That being said, I don't believe that he'd be so underhand but it doesn't mean that he wouldn't.

gold76
08-12-2009, 11:02 AM
even if we lost Derry for a nominal fee, 100k say, in January, it would be a major blow.

He's been a stalwart pro & a good captain this season

jobiinthelastmi
08-12-2009, 11:54 AM
even if we lost Derry for a nominal fee, 100k say, in January, it would be a major blow.

He's been a stalwart pro & a good captain this season

Are we really in that much of a bad position to have to get rid of Derry for nothing???? His wages can't be that much surely? Not as much as the likes of Carle and Lee anyway.

cockles
08-12-2009, 12:19 PM
More over reaction here, but oddly a lot less than for Stern John.:rolleyes:

It only a story after all.

Most likely is that someone at Barnsley (ex-shite manager now remember) have made some noise to the press to ruffle some feathers and maybe attract Derry for next season. Journalists gleefully bite at it - hey presto a story.

A number of players will be on more than Derry, so cost cutting priorities will begin elsewhere. The playing staff will be trimmed - common knowledge, but who and how many is dependant on what offers come in. It is all guess work until some time in January - especially by The Mirror and The Star

Aunty Alyce
08-12-2009, 12:25 PM
As always the papers have sports pages to fill. CPFC is fair game at the moment and must be Quotes Ville for any journo

racehorse-80s
08-12-2009, 12:37 PM
You get the feeling sometimes he is trying to make sure he is coming out of this with his pockets lined before he jumps ship. however, I hope that if this HAS to happen then it is a book balancing exercise.

This is very unfair on Derry who ran himself to exhaustion on saturday trying to win the ball without much help from the other players IMO.

LeeH
08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
This is very unfair on Derry who run himself to exhaustion on saturday trying to win the ball without much help from the other players IMO.
Sorry fella, I meant Jordan, not Derry

kestoneagle
08-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Actually his wife and children live locally.

Yes, near to Clint. I'll be driving past it tonight on the way to training.

racehorse-80s
08-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Sorry fella, I meant Jordan, not Derry

I realised that after reading your post again:o .
I am a bit slow this morning and just fed up with hearing more and more bad news about the club i have supported for 33yrs.
Jordan cannot be trusted and has messed the finances up more than any other chairman proceeding him.
People need to smell the coffee as they say.

AJ
08-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Are we really in that much of a bad position to have to get rid of Derry for nothing???? His wages can't be that much surely?

I am not sure of Derrys wages. He was on something like 15k a week at Leeds before joining Palace, so, my guess is that he earns more than most at Palace. I also think this is why no contract has been offered yet, as possibly Palace want to reduce the wage bill.

pedro
08-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I had a chat with Derry recently and the last thing he was looking to do was leave. He had already found out once before that the grass is not always greener on the other side and his main focus was on earning a new contract at Palace as he and his family had settled back well in the area and he certainly had no intention of moving again.

Glazier69
08-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Just a thought........ with apologies for the pessimism....

Flahavan, out on loan to get games under his belt
Butterfield, played ahead of Clyne all season
McCarthy, had op early
Ertl, regular starts
Hills and various young midfielders loaned out
Andrew moved ahead of John to get match fit

Players for sale with real value? Speroni, Clyne, Fonte, Danns, Moses, Carle, Ambrose. Lee & John to Ipswich to pay off Lee's original transfer fee.

Possible post transfer window starting XI...

Flahavan

Butterfield
Davis
Hill (McCarthy when fit)
Hills

Scannell
Ertl
Derry
Smith

Sears
Andrew

Subs:
Whoever's left in the reserves / academy

prizesucker
08-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Sears could be sent back to West Ham in January aswell.

Owngoal
08-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Derry turned 32 this week so will be looking for a 2 year contract to protect his future interests. Somehow despite what Warnock says publicly I can't see him making the mistake of risking that length of contract on Derry or Hill having been so spectacularly wrong in doing so with first names on the teamsheet Lawrence and Scowcroft 9know Scowie had extension due to number of games played). Age and ability wise we lost out on Clinton and Hudson (who went to Cardiff for over a million). Starting to get a bad feeling that we will be taken advantage of badly in January unless Gold comes in, no one else is likely to come in except for that vampire Noades if he wants to have a final fling.

917L
08-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Sears could be sent back to West Ham in January aswell.

Only if wham agree to us sending him back

kolinkins
08-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Only if wham agree to us sending him back

I don't think that is right - I think the loan can unilaterally be terminated in January by either party.

917L
08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't think that is right - I think the loan can unilaterally be terminated in January by either party.

I was of the belief that all season long loans are exactly that, a season unless both paties agree to end it

Unless of course theres aclause in Sears that says otherwise

Celestial Empire
08-12-2009, 03:09 PM
A long time ago, NW announced that SJ had assured him that he didn't need to sell any players - that was 2 weeks ago !!
Either the press is talking tosh, or SJ is just full of it and will say anything to keep sucking in the fans dosh. Which do you believe ?

kolinkins
08-12-2009, 03:11 PM
I was of the belief that all season long loans are exactly that, a season unless both paties agree to end it

Unless of course theres aclause in Sears that says otherwise

Cannot find the exact link, but this is from the Croydon Guardian:

But Warnock insists they will have to wait two months to cancel the deal, telling the Croydon Guardian: "They can recall him but not until January."

917L
08-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Cannot find the exact link, but this is from the Croydon Guardian:

But Warnock insists they will have to wait two months to cancel the deal, telling the Croydon Guardian: "They can recall him but not until January."

wham having arecall clause isnt the same as us being able to cancel the deal

Though of course it may be a 2 way thing