PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Palace put their entire squad up for sale

Skid Row
11-12-2009, 04:54 AM
According to the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1234924/Crystal-Palace-entire-squad-sale-Wigan-Sunderland-target-Ambrose.html

Wigan and Sunderlad on the prowl. Speroni and Moses should have their sights set higher than those two if they have to go.

Eagle Kneevil
11-12-2009, 05:28 AM
Colonel Gadaffi...now's your chance!

dim
11-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Wigan interested - I wonder if there could be a deal for Darren which involves Ben Watson returning either on loan or permanently?

Sunderland already have a top keeper - albeit injured. And I think VM would find it a bit different to Croydon up there - ask Darren Bent. Mind you, Darren knows what it is like up there.

Kai
11-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Wigan interested - I wonder if there could be a deal for Darren which involves Ben Watson returning either on loan or permanently?

Sunderland already have a top keeper - albeit injured. And I think VM would find it a bit different to Croydon up there - ask Darren Bent. Mind you, Darren knows what it is like up there.

At this point we couldn't afford Watsons wages. We'll be finishing this season playing kids and little else.

Big Blue Eagle
11-12-2009, 06:57 AM
This is a next to no new news rehash of what has been reported earlier this week when Neil said everyone had a price but SJ was not in the market for a mass sale.

Its interesting that the National press who made such a big thing on the wages and free transfers have not even reported the fact that the wages were paid on the agreed datde.

Big Blue Eagle
11-12-2009, 07:00 AM

QPR are looking at a permanent deal for Watson in January

Maidstoned Eagle
11-12-2009, 07:05 AM
This is a next to no new news rehash of what has been reported earlier this week when Neil said everyone had a price but SJ was not in the market for a mass sale.

Its interesting that the National press who made such a big thing on the wages and free transfers have not even reported the fact that the wages were paid on the agreed datde.
Spot on.

stinky
11-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Of course, everyone's available for a price. Just typical Daily Mail making a news story out of nothing really.

I'm surprised they haven't made it front page news given that Moses is 'not from these shores'

Freddy Kurz
11-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Spot on.

This is clearly typical "kite-flying" by a lazy journo. Note the line:
"Sunderland and Wigan are thought to be interested in" and the total
absence of quotes. Hardly a news scoop:)

thereichstuff
11-12-2009, 08:41 AM

Its interesting that the National press who made such a big thing on the wages and free transfers have not even reported the fact that the wages were paid on the agreed datde.:p Spot on there ! its amazing that after a good bit of news palace fan mr mokbel isnt reporting it . So much for his inside information :veryangry

cockles
11-12-2009, 08:43 AM
News filch

Maidstoned Eagle
11-12-2009, 08:47 AM
I wonder if Ivan Speck is still at the Daily Mail, he was always very positive about Palace.

Alpine Jr
11-12-2009, 09:11 AM
:p Spot on there ! its amazing that after a good bit of news palace fan mr mokbel isnt reporting it . So much for his inside information :veryangry

There is a bit in the Star this morning saying we paid the money on time.
I hazard a guess to say that was Mokbel.
Also, what do you mean by 'so much for his inside information'? He was first to report that the pay would be delayed by 10 days!!

Stavros 69
11-12-2009, 09:11 AM
All you jackals beware, i have a gun.

sydnsteve
11-12-2009, 09:14 AM
I am afraid these responses are very much whistling in the dark . If it was not the case the club only has to issue a simple denial. They haven't.
I just don't see where the club is going, as Jordan's only chance to get out of this is to get promoted, but he is so skint he can't keep a team together.

Icy
11-12-2009, 09:16 AM
What a non story. Every clubs entire squad is up for sale at this level. In fact if Man Utd have to be a selling club then so does every team in the prem as well (apart from maybe Man City and Chavski).

The daily mail are a bunch of *****. I'd love to kick the shit out of their sports writers.

Gark Moldberg
11-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Its a quiet football news day and they probably had a big spot ready for the 'Palace fail to pay players' story. They had to come up with something else and this was the next best thing.

Chris K
11-12-2009, 09:23 AM
What a non story. Every clubs entire squad is up for sale at this level. In fact if Man Utd have to be a selling club then so does every team in the prem as well (apart from maybe Man City and Chavski).

The daily mail are a bunch of *****. I'd love to kick the shit out of their sports writers.

Took the words out of my mouth

PalaceMonkey
11-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Saying that they're all up for sale implies that they've all been transfer-listed.

Which they haven't been, they're just all available for sale, an entirely different prospect.

Stupid ******* Mail

biggus mickus
11-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Its a quiet football news day and they probably had a big spot ready for the 'Palace fail to pay players' story. They had to come up with something else and this was the next best thing.

Close to the truth I should think.

sydnsteve
11-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Having read the analysis of the club's situation from SW16 girl on the Discussion thread, I would say this story is without doubt an accurate assessment.

DaveP
11-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I think your right in saying it is an accurate assesment but it is wrong they way report it.

As somebody has said they make it out as if everyone has been placed on the transfer list.

No matter what club your at or who you play for every player has a price where they will be considered for transfer, Palace are no different.

Yes even more so now we may have to sell players but it wont be any different to when we did have money or no money.

Adlerhorst
11-12-2009, 10:06 AM
It is probably not an accurate assessment, as my guess would be that they've all been up for sale since the summer.

The Gerry Queen
11-12-2009, 10:16 AM
I am afraid these responses are very much whistling in the dark . If it was not the case the club only has to issue a simple denial. They haven't.
I just don't see where the club is going, as Jordan's only chance to get out of this is to get promoted, but he is so skint he can't keep a team together.

Warnock has qualified this notion recently and he clearly does expect to lose certainly Moses and Clyne but I doubt if he expects to have to lose many more especially if Moses and Clyne's value increase in the period before the window.

As for Simon Jordan. He has been as good as his word on player payments and I'm sure that he will want to strike some sort of balance between getting the club debt back into the manageable area without weakening the team to the point that we will struggle in t he second half of the season.

I think that the past 10 days have changed the mindset of players and fans in that we realise that we have a fight on to stabilise financially and on the pitch. It has generated a very good siege mentality and nobody could deny the resolve of Warnock and the players in answering the rallying call and giving Simon Jordan the incentive to continuing to duck and dive to get us through the crisis, save his personal finances and above all avoid administration.

I hope that there are serious talks going on with the 'wealthy Palace fans' that Noades and the Trust allude to to start creating a long term way forward for Palace. Wouldn't it be great if they combined to purchase the freehold of th ground from PWC and formed a trust to keep it and eventually effectively reunite the Club and Stadium in a more truthful and meaningfull way.

Meanwhile events on the pitch are what matters. We have four games till we reach the January window. We already have a respectable 29 points from 20 games. If we managed to beat Barnsley and Ipswich and bring something back from Sheff Utd and Swansea we could go into the second half of the season in the play off berths. If we went into the new year with 38 points we would only need 14 points from 22 games to roll over the magic safety line of 52 points in May. If the worst cam to the worst and we were deducted 10 points then we would need a steeper 24 points which, incredibly, is a realistic ask even for a reduced squad in this year's Championship.

jhc
11-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I would say this story is without doubt an accurate assessment.

Sadly, so would I!
We may not like the tone and the way it's presented, but essentially it's accurate and as 'Adlerhorst' suggests, it has been the case for quite some time.
This doesn't mean that the whole team will be sold of course, but if we get a couple of acceptable bids then those players will be off.
Wholesale departures - and I'm sure NW would start to consider whether it's worth carrying on!

No one wants to see the likes of Victor leave (I'd like to see him develop here), but if it is a question of whether the club survives or not - it's a fairly easy decision really, isn't it?:(

palacemaniac
11-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Just received my Palace shirt Ambrose 7, I might have to get another one in a matter of weeks if he's sold :D :sob:

Gark Moldberg
11-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Warnock has qualified this notion recently and he clearly does expect to lose certainly Moses and Clyne but I doubt if he expects to have to lose many more especially if Moses and Clyne's value increase in the period before the window.

While I hope the same as you and agree with the rest of your post, we have to accept that other people do not always function in the way that we hope. We all expect the sale of Moses and/or Clyne but it really depends on a number of factors that have to be agreed on. I suspect that the club will be looking for cash now, which will mean that the transfer fee will be lower as there will be no staged payments (or at least a shorter duration) and possibly no add-ons should either of them happen to be captain of England when they next win the world cup.

Therefore I expect that either a) an agreement has been reached to sell and they will be transferred at the beginning of Jan, or this will drag on until the end of the window. If it does drag on, we may well see other players leave as we did in the summer of last year and an adequate fee could not be agreed for Watson and we lost Soares instead.

In addition, Warnock is hopefully talking to those who are out of contract now to sound out their thoughts for the future. If, as has been suggested a few months back, Clint Hill wants to go back to the North West; I would rather sell him now and get a pittance, than him leave for free in the summer.

AJ
11-12-2009, 02:36 PM
I hope that there are serious talks going on with the 'wealthy Palace fans' that Noades and the Trust allude to to start creating a long term way forward for Palace. Wouldn't it be great if they combined to purchase the freehold of th ground from PWC and formed a trust to keep it and eventually effectively reunite the Club and Stadium in a more truthful and meaningfull way.

I was thinking about this earlier and it really only takes 10 people to commit 5m + 300k a year for running expenses each and Palace could be debt free, own SP and provide some transfer money. It'll probably never happen, but, it seems a more viable option for running a club the size of Palace.

GUCCI Eagle
11-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Here's what's going to happen:

Palace will be sold before the January transfer to a consortium of ambitious but ultimately sensible businesspeople.

Our current squad will be retained. One striker will be added and one central defended (Sol Campbell).

Palace will go on total rampage in the second half of the season. It'll be like Reading away every game.

DaveP
11-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Palace will be sold before the January transfer to a consortium of ambitious but ultimately sensible businesspeople.

Our current squad will be retained. One striker will be added and one central defended (Sol Campbell).

Palace will go on total rampage in the second half of the season. It'll be like Reading away every game.

I wish this could be true!!!! Although not sure about signing Sol Campbell!

Lords Eagle
11-12-2009, 02:45 PM

Please could you send me some of whatever you're taking Gucci, it seems like good stuff :D

jhc
11-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Please could you send me some of whatever you're taking Gucci, it seems like good stuff :D

Me too please.
I could do with something to get me out of this Palace (off-field) induced depression of the last few months!:(

adrenalin john
11-12-2009, 03:18 PM
What a crap non-story - there isn't a single player in the championship that couldn't be bought by the majority of pemiership clubs

Mike Elwiss
11-12-2009, 03:21 PM
I would think that 95% of all teams in the championship would sell any player for the right price.

Problem we have is that we are now seen as a desperate club ,I really hope we are not forced into sellling our best players for peanuts as this would really be a disaster.
Short term we would pay our debts but going forward we would free fall down the league which means lower crowds - more debt ect ect. SJ needs to hold his nerve in the next couple of months.
This is such a shame as NW has done a great job and with a with just a little investment we would have great chance of play offs this year.

bendyjoe
11-12-2009, 03:30 PM
The Daily Mail - Because Fact into Doubt Won't Go Slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truth. Or something.

David
11-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Why do people think journalists sit around all day producing 'non-stories' about PALACE!? It's laughable.

Big Blue Eagle
11-12-2009, 03:37 PM
David - this is a non story. It is a rehash of what Warnock said at the start of the week. There is nothing new, no hard quotes, just a couple of sentences to fill a bit of blank paper

dowieslovechild
11-12-2009, 03:52 PM
At this point we couldn't afford Watsons wages. We'll be finishing this season playing kids and little else.

We've done it before, so I hold no fear about doing it again and we went up to the Prem a couple of seasons after doing this.

David
11-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Just reading another thread it sounds as if we have no hope. So, we may aswell go out in a blaze of glory. Don't sell anyone and just go for it...........it's our only hope!

Very scary times to be a Palace fan. :(

Catford Eagle
11-12-2009, 04:22 PM
At this point we couldn't afford Watsons wages. We'll be finishing this season playing kids and little elves.

EFA.

Typical Palace
11-12-2009, 04:31 PM
David - this is a non story. It is a rehash of what Warnock said at the start of the week. There is nothing new, no hard quotes, just a couple of sentences to fill a bit of blank paper
I would guess this comes straight from SJ, making it blatantly obvious we'll sell anyone (in case some Uzbeki side didn't know). We might be unhappy at the story but it's music to SJ's ears. He needs to sell, sell, sell to avoid administration and him personally losing all he's put in.

BulletEagle
11-12-2009, 08:16 PM
From BBC Gossip column and the Daily Mail:

The entire playing staff of Crystal Palace have been put up for sale in order to solve the club's cash problems. Wigan and Sunderland are interested in midfielder Darren Ambrose, winger Victor Moses and goalkeeper Julian Speroni.

nathe
11-12-2009, 08:20 PM
:sob:

Dorking .Eagle
11-12-2009, 08:20 PM
We could limp along without many of the players, but Speroni going would be the killer.

Malakite
11-12-2009, 08:26 PM
**** me this is PATHETIC and if true Jordan is a total ARSE and I lose a lot of respect for him :( Administration again anyone??

James
11-12-2009, 08:31 PM
**** me this is PATHETIC and if true Jordan is a total ARSE and I lose a lot of respect for him :( Administration again anyone??Some of us had little respect for the man in the first place. You can't really lose what you never had.

James
11-12-2009, 08:34 PM
LINK (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1234924/Crystal-Palace-entire-squad-sale-Wigan-Sunderland-target-Ambrose.html) to the Daily Mail article.

Pikie Punisher
11-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Kin ell :sob: :sob: :(

James
11-12-2009, 08:41 PM
A bit of perspective ..

1) It is the Daily Mail (spit)
2) We already know that all the players are for sale at the right price. Warnock for one has admitted that several times recently. This isn't really startling - or even new - news (although it's dressed up as such).

It doesn't mean that we are going to sell all of them.

Big Patch
11-12-2009, 08:41 PM
oh my. WHEN EVER ANYONE IS READY TO BUY US JUST LET US KNOW.

Freddy Kurz
11-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Having read the analysis of the club's situation from SW16 girl on the Discussion thread, I would say this story is without doubt an accurate assessment.

But what "story" are you alluding to sydnsteve? Surely not the by-line-
less column-filler from the "Daily Mail" which doesn't even contain a single
quote from ANYBODY? Surely this feeble excuse for journalism could
have been cobbled together by any sports sub-editor looking for an eye-
catching headline that could sell some papers in London, SE25, Sunderland
and Wigan.

Every football journo in Britain knows Palace are hard-up and have just
kept their players and officials waiting 10 days for their wages. They
are also aware that Ambrose is scoring goals as if he was shelling peas
and that young Moses got two crackers the other night to sink Reading
and were told afterwards by Warnock that Sunderland and Wigan showed
interest in the youngster last summer, and that the club would CONSIDER
offers for their most valuable player assets.

There is nothing in the Mail piece that most Palace fans didn't already
know, and I seriously doubt whether it came from any official Palace
source.

Do agree with you that SW16 girl's analysis is a helpful assessment
of the Club's current position but don't believe the Mail piece adds
anything to that assessment.

Seanee Pawnee
12-12-2009, 07:31 AM
Reads that the entire squad is up for sale!!!!????

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1234924/Crystal-Palace-entire-squad-sale-Wigan-Sunderland-target-Ambrose.html

Are things really that bad?
And if/when we do sell our quality players how on earth are we expected to stand any chance of challenging for promotion?

It really hacks me off that we have to sell our homegrown talent. I know realistically these things need to be done from time to time but it seems we've got the beginnings of a real team here and now it's just going to be sold off like the family silver.

League 1 here we come : (

BulletEagle
12-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Bear in mind where I found this: the gossip column, so hopefully that's all it is: Gossip.

Hopefully.

BaldEagle96
12-12-2009, 08:29 AM
God I am sick and tired of all this. Could we not have another forum for doom and gloom stories and leave GPD for matchdays/nice news etc? :)

The Omen
12-12-2009, 09:14 AM
I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Once our best players are gone, what do we have to sell as a club? Surely it will only decrease interest. :(

BulletEagle
12-12-2009, 09:20 AM
I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Once our best players are gone, what do we have to sell as a club? Surely it will only decrease interest. :(

My thoughts exactly, surely it is better to keep our players, but struggle a bit financially, than sell our players, spend all the money temporarily keeping us afloat, and then get relegated.

It would make more sense to wait until the summer and at least try and get promoted.

cryhilaire
12-12-2009, 09:28 AM
God I am sick and tired of all this. Could we not have another forum for doom and gloom stories and leave GPD for matchdays/nice news etc? :)

agreed... life's tough enough at the mo... squads on sale... no surprise... can we just enjoy these last few games before all our quality disappears?

Ruskin Old Boy
12-12-2009, 09:29 AM

Hear hear :p

dim
12-12-2009, 09:43 AM
agreed... life's tough enough at the mo... squads on sale... no surprise... can we just enjoy these last few games before all our quality disappears?

Second to last will and testament... that fits Palace at the moment..... or Cheer up it might never happen:)

jone-zee
12-12-2009, 09:47 AM

I get the feeling that some so called 'fans' are itching for Us to go under, blinded by their hatred of SJ. :grrr:

cryhilaire
12-12-2009, 09:48 AM
as long as it's not the final comedown...

Big Blue Eagle
12-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Excuse me - do we really need another thread discussing this article - one was started yesterday:

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?t=194198

DocSavage
12-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Excuse me - do we really need another thread discussing this article - one was started yesterday:

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?t=194198

well maybe we can knit a jumper with all this thread?:p :clown:

Raggy
12-12-2009, 10:02 AM

A place one off the top tier in the toughest league in the world?
A club within arguably the worlds top city for football?
A first class academy?

The Gerry Queen
12-12-2009, 10:09 AM
So much doom and gloom. It's infectious. The situation isn't good by any stretch of the imagination by come on people let's have some nerve here. If we'd had the internet when Big Mal took us to Division from Division One to three in 24 months, we'd have taken over the Samaritans by now !

jone-zee
12-12-2009, 10:19 AM
A place one off the top tier in the toughest league in the world?
A club within arguably the worlds top city for football?
A first class academy?

Now stop all that positive nonsense this instance young man! :D

Raggy
12-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Now stop all that positive nonsense this instance young man! :D

Sorry. Dont know what came over me.

Back on Topic - We're doomed I tell ye, doomed!