PDA

View Full Version : James Constable

The Bishop
13-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Saw in yesterday's Sun newspaper that we're interested in signing James Constable of Oxford United. Has already scored 17 goals this season and sounds like a promising prospect.

http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10342~35833,00.html

dannyboy1807
13-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Ok what's going on two players now

Shipp Ahoy!
13-12-2009, 01:11 PM
To be fair if we are planning on selling every player that has a transfer value they will need replacing and its the kind of players we have been linked with so far that will be the ones that do it players that we will either get for free or near enough a free on very low wages.

Jason
13-12-2009, 01:33 PM
The thing is, I can't see us being able to afford him. Oxford are going for promotion, and are apparently in a reasonable financial position. He also has two and a half years on his contract. I wouldn't expect them to let him go for lmuch less than 200k, and I just can't see us spending a fee of that size at the mo

SpikeyMatt
13-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Hard working centre forward who wins a fair bit in the air on the occasions I've seen him (my housemate's an Oxford fan).

He does need 3 or 4 chances to score mind. We're not in a position to gamble and I'm far from convinced he could cut it at CCC level.

PalaceSi
13-12-2009, 02:45 PM
How anyone can possibly think that we're in the market to buy players at the moment is beyond me.

Boyandy
13-12-2009, 02:58 PM
PC gone mad.

pumaspalace
13-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I've seen a few Oxford games in the past year and he to me looks better than Alan Lee.

However we really are not in the position to buy anyone, so oh well.:(

Shipp Ahoy!
13-12-2009, 03:22 PM
See my above post, think about it.

We really can't afford to plummet down the championship and be relegated. Even if we have to sell god knows how many players we will need to replace them.

If we sell Moses for 4million and knock off about 2.5k a month from the wage bill it is not impossible to see us then going and taking a chance on another player for 5% of that fee and a similar percentage on wage as well.

CPFC_DAVE77
13-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I've seen a few Oxford games in the past year and he to me looks better than Alan Lee.

However we really are not in the position to buy anyone, so oh well.:(

Against what opposition?

Jason
13-12-2009, 04:07 PM
See my above post, think about it.

We really can't afford to plummet down the championship and be relegated. Even if we have to sell god knows how many players we will need to replace them.

If we sell Moses for 4million and knock off about 2.5k a month from the wage bill it is not impossible to see us then going and taking a chance on another player for 5% of that fee and a similar percentage on wage as well.

I understand what you mean, but I think ALL of the money from a Moses sale for example would go to paying the debt. We've had a number of good performances without him this season, and the club's view is likely to be that we will simply go one body lighter if he goes. Especially as we can guarantee we wont get 4m up front, or anything like that

The only way I can see us spending literally a single peny on fees, is if in addition to Moses, BOTH Lee and John also go. The problem then of course is that I don't see either generating the funds required to justify the kind of fee that would be required to make a deal like this happen (the most we'd get for Lee and John COMBINED is 400k, probably less, and Constable is likely to cost c200k).

Having theought about your post, I'm even more convinced that the situation is pretty straightforward. Regardless of who we sell, we wont be making ANY transfers that involve any fee at all for the foorseable future :sob: