PDA

View Full Version : Derry to Barnsley ?

ANDYEAGLE
19-12-2009, 07:41 PM
We were told by someone from Barnsley(someone who surely should know) that Shaun Derry will be a Barnsley player next season. No surprise if he is talking to clubs under the circumstances.

prizesucker
19-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Got enough practice passing to his new team mates today in that case

Woodside_CP
19-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Heard Barnsley have been sniffing around - no doubt have him lined up on a bosman next summer. The state we're in I doubt we'll even offer him a new contract as coming from Leeds and being an experienced player, he must be on a fair whack.

WorthingEagle

:D

ANDYEAGLE

Strangely I thought that today. I thought up to a few games ago he was our best player this season. He seems to have suddenly lost his form.

ANDYEAGLE
19-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Heard Barnsley have been sniffing around - no doubt have him lined up on a bosman next summer. The state we're in I doubt we'll even offer him a new contract as coming from Leeds and being an experienced player, he must be on a fair whack.

It actually sounds like a done deal. A little surprised the guy told us really.

gold76
19-12-2009, 07:58 PM
A blow imo, but he is out of contract in the summer along with Hill & Danny B.
As has been said elsewhere, although they are not the best in terms of flair, they would be missed in terms of effort & bite.

Gooders
19-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I've always liked Derry - I think he's been a good player for Palace on the whole.

But I'm completely meh about the possibility of him leaving us at the end of this season - his best years are definitely behind him.

wedgetail
20-12-2009, 04:30 PM
I doubt that Derry would get in the Barnsley side on his current form.

CPFC_DAVE77
20-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Mixed feelings about this, he is replaceable in terms of his ability and potential. The fact is we may not be able to actually bring in a player to replace him. I think I make sense to myself! Overall, I'd be disappointed to loose him.

spt1978
20-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Not bothered either way.

stinky
20-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Would have been bothered a couple of months back, but he really seems to have gone off the boil. I'm not overly bothered if he went to be honest.

Could be a chance for people like Ertl and N'Diaye to stake their claim for a spot. Assuming both are still there when/if Derry goes

CPFC_DAVE77
20-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Would have been bothered a couple of months back, but he really seems to have gone off the boil. I'm not overly bothered if he went to be honest.

Could be a chance for people like Ertl and N'Diaye to stake their claim for a spot. Assuming both are still there when/if Derry goes

Ertl will do fine :)

Jason
20-12-2009, 05:59 PM
If he was going to go, rather he went in Jan and we got a few quid for him. Even 50-100k combined with not paying his wages would make a big difference, and Ertl is more than capable of covering for him

CPFC_DAVE77
20-12-2009, 06:03 PM
If he was going to go, rather he went in Jan and we got a few quid for him. Even 50-100k combined with not paying his wages would make a big difference, and Ertl is more than capable of covering for him

As much as I like Ertl, i'm not sure he is. I think Derry's positional discipline is far superior to Ertl's; although that may be something he can learn by playing the role.

Sandowneagle
20-12-2009, 06:21 PM
I doubt that Derry would get in the Barnsley side on his current form.

Well he gets into ours easily enough on current form and I didn't see too much yesterday to think Barnsley are a better team than Palace.

I'm not sure if Derry will go or not, there will be a lot of water to pass under the bridge between now and the end of the season. What is for sure, if he left now we would miss his leadership as well as his ability. I always wonder with Derry if you don't know what you have got until it has gone.

philsick
20-12-2009, 06:30 PM
What is for sure, if he left now we would miss his leadership as well as his ability. I always wonder with Derry if you don't know what you have got until it has gone.

I have you right there.Derry is definately replaceble as a player,but we would miss his presence on the pitch.

thereichstuff
21-12-2009, 08:49 AM
These rumours could be true . I like derry but the last 4 or 5 games he has been well below par . His mind could be elsewhere .

the kooch
21-12-2009, 08:55 AM
I wouldn't mind him leaving. Maybe we could get a real Warnock type player like Mahon of QPR. Contract ends this summer too.

sydnsteve
21-12-2009, 09:00 AM
I thought Derry played well Sat, and the idea thatv Ertl is anywhere near good enough to replace him is laughable. I'm resigned to everyone leaving TBH.

adrenalin john
21-12-2009, 09:08 AM
surely Derry will only leave after the play off final as per

cpfcben
21-12-2009, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't mind him leaving. Maybe we could get a real Warnock type player like Mahon of QPR. Contract ends this summer too.
Mahon is a terrible player. Qpr fans can't wait to get rid of him. Would really like to keep derry. An excellent captain.

Panther
21-12-2009, 10:55 AM
I heard this rumour a week ago from a mate who's a Barnsley fan. Derry's been good for us generally but is coming to the end of his sell-by date (Clint Hill's another), so I wouldn't be too miffed if he left. However, I can't see anyone in the present squad who could instantly replace him.

red&blue_moomin
30-12-2009, 03:39 PM
I heard this rumour a week ago from a mate who's a Barnsley fan. Derry's been good for us generally but is coming to the end of his sell-by date (Clint Hill's another), so I wouldn't be too miffed if he left. However, I can't see anyone in the present squad who could instantly replace him.

So players who are just turning 30 are past their sell by date? What planet are you on? Replacing those two hugely experienced players would be a total pain seeing as they are the main 'drivers' in the team. Remember what it was like before Derry and Hill showed up.

Panther
30-12-2009, 04:37 PM
It's not so much their age as my opinion that we've probably got as much out of them as we can expect; they're unlikely to get any better. If they stay, that's fine for now but neither of them is a long or even medium term prospect (in my opinion).

ANDYEAGLE
30-12-2009, 07:43 PM

The reason I believed this is it was told to me directly by one of the Barnsley Directors. Bit surprised he came out with it as really I am not sure they are actually allowed to talk to Derry to Jan. Still maybe they offered him a good 2 year deal. I can't see us giving him 2 years somehow.
Still who knows what other options Derry has. Nothing at this stage can be set in stone.

Owngoal
31-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Hill is sadly living up to his name and has put in several below par performances. Sounds as if Derry had his best game in a while against Swansea but his passing has not been up to scratch recently, which makes winning the ball pointless. Why did we put them on shortish contracts to begin with? Did SJ think we would be in the Prem this end of season? If Hills can be given the time to develop and McCarthy comes back we will not need Hill. In two years time they will be past their sell by dates, if they were cream they would not be far from being on the 'turn'. Its an unpopular thing to say for many on here who ignore below par performances (I always see Jose though rose tinted specs). When dougie was at the same stage many rationally said not to give him another playing contract and we did. He hardly scored from then on and has hardly featured since leacving us - I loved Doug but it shows there can be no room for sentiment when we are close to administration.