PDA

View Full Version : Fonte Joins Southampton (undisclosed fee)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Sussex Eagle
09-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Danns has a year and a half on his contract, so you either sell him now or not at all.

Kuqi32
09-01-2010, 02:45 AM
I Know We NEED The Money, But...Southampton Are 14th In League One & 10, Virtually 11 w/Goal Difference Points Off The Playoffs...

Why Would Jose Want To Go?

I'll Believe It & Be Very Sad When It Is/Isn't Confirmed

Oh south london
09-01-2010, 02:48 AM
I Know We NEED The Money, But...Southampton Are 14th In League One & 10, Virtually 11 w/Goal Difference Points Off The Playoffs...

Why Would Jose Want To Go?

I'll Believe It & Be Very Sad When It Is/Isn't Confirmed

As said about 100 times he does not want to go. He is being forced out because the club need cash and recieved a bid for Jose.

Hedgehog
09-01-2010, 02:49 AM
Over on HOL they are saying Fonte's GF lives in Chichester... might have an influence on his decision.

Oh south london
09-01-2010, 03:03 AM
Over on HOL they are saying Fonte's GF lives in Chichester... might have an influence on his decision.

She was certainly born there but I am not sure if she still lives there.

Hedgehog
09-01-2010, 03:05 AM
She was certainly born there but I am not sure if she still lives there.
That was my take on it also. ;)

JJ
09-01-2010, 05:28 AM

flying_eagle
09-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Sadly, it seems Fonte has been sold. Best of luck Jose.

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10323~1926807,00.html

whereEaglesFly
09-01-2010, 09:07 AM

Shit

Blackfen Eagle
09-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Jordans got a lot to answer for, Soares, Watson and now Fonte.

bigboy
09-01-2010, 09:19 AM
its official fonte has gone,just had text from the club,sold for undisclosed fee
so it begins eh

davematt
09-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Really gutted about this.

Hopefully this mess we are in is all sorted come the summer and we can bring Jose back home where he belongs :p

Barbara4003
09-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Not sure you can count Watson in there. Didn't he make it clear he wanted to go?

Velocity
09-01-2010, 09:21 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8449534.stm

"I'm really happy to be at St Mary's," Fonte told BBC Radio Solent.

"Don't get me wrong , I was happy at Crystal Palace and I had a good spell there. I have only good things to say to the fans and everybody I have worked with at the club.

"But I've made a decision and I'm very happy with it. I've come here with a purpose which is to help this club move to the top divisions.

"I'm very happy with this contract, and with how Southampton have treated me, so it's a happy day for me and I just want to help the club. I want to play in the Premier League and I think I can do that quickest by moving here."

cpfc4evandeva
09-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Wow. I really didn't expect this at all. Good player at League 1 level. Best of luck Mr Fonte.

cpfc4evandeva
09-01-2010, 09:25 AM

Considering the amount of time and money Jordan put into the academy I think that its a bit crap to start blaming him for Soares and Watson leaving. Without the superb youth set up we have, how do we know that:

a) Either Ben or Tom would have been spotted by us or chose to play for us

or

b) They would have turned out as good as they did

Barbara4003
09-01-2010, 09:25 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8449534.stm

That's a standard statement. They all say that.

I suppose he couldn't really say 'I didn't want to come here, but I didn't really have much choice'.

:(

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
09-01-2010, 09:28 AM
:( SHIT

Dave
09-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Show your appreciation for Jose here (http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=195303)

Malakite
09-01-2010, 09:29 AM
WTF??? :(

jordanismygod
09-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Jordans got a lot to answer for, Soares, Watson

Your right. Without SJ we may have never seen those two play for palace:clown:

Ralph
09-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Very good player - surprised more by the lack of interest from other Championship Clubs. Still, I guess outside the Premier League it's only clubs recently out of Administration and relatively debt free that can afford to make signings nowadays.

TheMexicanHorse
09-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Just had it confirmed.

Medical has not gone through yet but terms agreed;

800k Upfront
400k If Saints go up within 3 Year term of his contract
100k after 50 Games.
5% Sell on Clause
Thanks for this, despite the usual suspects spouting their shite it seems you were bang on. Much kudos to you.

TheMexicanHorse
09-01-2010, 09:39 AM
c_block_lad.

Please people, use yer loaves ya facking mankeys.
Dick. Has someone been eating to much snow these last couple of days? Your a special kid aint ya.

Hugh Cheddyk
09-01-2010, 09:41 AM
We need to find 1.2 M for the tax man and here comes 800 K of it- makes sense

montstar
09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
I suppose the only positive from this is we have a little cover in defence, I just hope Danns doesnt follow

BaldEagle96
09-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Says a lot for our club at the moment. Whilst I appreciate we will always be a selling club to have to sell one of our better players to a team in a league below us is pretty sad really. Still, needs must.

Zohar Returns
09-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Southampton have just got themselves a bargain I think!

Stavros 69
09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
What the **** is going on!!!
I have just woken up to find our best defender gone.
I'm so so gutted right now. He's worth more than 800k that's for sure.
I can't go though selling our best players. I feels truely gutted
right now. :sob:

GJN
09-01-2010, 09:57 AM
No :(

PALACEFAN
09-01-2010, 09:57 AM

Erm, we offered Watson a contract - he didn't want to sign it.

Sorry if that doesn't fit into your rant.

swissroll
09-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Fonte could just about have cut it in the premier. Rubbish price and a bad move for him. Everyones a loser.

pauldrulez
09-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Dick. Has someone been eating to much snow these last couple of days? Your a special kid aint ya.
Morning Matty :hi:

pauldrulez
09-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Where's Clyne gone....?

rbarmy
09-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Fonte could just about have cut it in the premier. Rubbish price and a bad move for him. Everyones a loser.

He is quoted (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/football/teams/s/southampton/8449534.stm) as saying 'I want to play in the Premier League and I think I can do that quickest by moving here' (but I suspect it is just his sense of humour)

Jim Cannon
09-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Gutted. Only surprised QPR didn't make a late bid after all they are obsessed with Palace players

Clapham Grand
09-01-2010, 10:07 AM
We need to find 1.2 M for the tax man and here comes 800 K of it- makes sense

errr - deduct Dec wages off, then take a portion to Agilo, and that leaves with not much for the taxman :(

Lot more sales will be needed

It's gutting because Jose was part of the spine of the team - sell the spine and you struggle, big time

Stavros 69
09-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Where's Clyne gone....?
**** off douche bag

fonte is by far our best defender. Take you jokes and shove them up your arse you ****.

EMLEY EAGLE
09-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Roll up roll up,fire sale going on!

What next? Clyne to Darlington?

kabbott
09-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Sad times. I hope this is the time for more youngsters to step up and show what they're worth rather than other more experienced players.

Jason
09-01-2010, 10:20 AM

Sorry, but while I'm dissappointed to lose Fonte, I don't think the price is a bad one if the deal is as described on here. About 1m is probably about right for Fonte under "normal" circumstances in an evironment where the selling club is a willing seller. To get a deal that gets us close to that up front, with realistic add ons potentially taking the fee to c1.3m in future has got to be a good deal given that we are desperate to sell.

From a footballing point of view its gutting, but money wise I think we've done better than we could have expected too given the circumstances. That for me has to be the priority sadly.

Glazier69
09-01-2010, 10:21 AM
errr - deduct Dec wages off, then take a portion to Agilo, and that leaves with not much for the taxman :(

Lot more sales will be needed

It's gutting because Jose was part of the spine of the team - sell the spine and you struggle, big time

I agree, this will be the first of many I fear. But it's a simple choice - our best players or the existence of the club or admin / points deduction / possible relegation. CPFC will still be here and we'll all still be supporting it once the players & SJ have moved on. With NW at the helm, the right loan players in and use of the academy, we can survive in this division.

But for the time being :sob: :sob: :sob:

Joe Knight
09-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Doesn't selling Fonte contradict the positive attitude of Warnock re a possible new owner next week? why sell a first team player with a potential takeover imminent?

hughff
09-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Whatever the value to the club, the loss on the pitch is significant. Maybe this was an evil necessity but it still hurts.

laggin
09-01-2010, 10:26 AM
c_block_lad.

Please people, use yer loaves ya facking mankeys.
you are incorrect

montstar
09-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Doesn't selling Fonte contradict the positive attitude of Warnock re a possible new owner next week? why sell a first team player with a potential takeover imminent?

Im hoping not - we have to pay the players we still have first! Hoping against hope that Fonte will just buy us a bit of time and Warnocks article isnt just paper talk

costner
09-01-2010, 10:33 AM
He's far too good for them. I'm not normally too upset when players leave, but this one has upset me quite a bit. Perhaps because of the suddeness, perhaps because I just really like Jose, or perhaps because the reality of the our situation is brought into clear focus when out of nowehere we just sell our best defender to a club in 14th place in the division below us. But obviously it's a mix of all three.

Dave
09-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Sorry, but while I'm dissappointed to lose Fonte, I don't think the price is a bad one if the deal is as described on here. About 1m is probably about right for Fonte under "normal" circumstances in an evironment where the selling club is a willing seller. To get a deal that gets us close to that up front, with realistic add ons potentially taking the fee to c1.3m in future has got to be a good deal given that we are desperate to sell.

From a footballing point of view its gutting, but money wise I think we've done better than we could have expected too given the circumstances. That for me has to be the priority sadly. It has also taken a high earner off the books.

pauldrulez
09-01-2010, 10:39 AM
**** off douche bag

fonte is by far our best defender. Take you jokes and shove them up your arse you ****.
Erm, no.

He's not our best defender.

As with all foreign centre backs that play here, they end up over-rated as they don't hoof the ball.

Gazza2
09-01-2010, 10:39 AM
We have to live within our means...if not it is basically cheating...we need to employ a squad of players we can afford...even if that means lesser players and a lower league posistion.

The club will continue to go up and down the divisions in the coming decades...the only important thing is that the club continues to exist even if it is at a lower level for next few seasons.

Going down to League 1 has not killed Saints, Clowns or Norwich. Palace also survived when we were down at that level in the mid 70's. In fact, it was a fun time taking big away support every week to smaller clubs. So even if fire sale were to lead to disasterous on field results, it would not be end of the world.

laggin
09-01-2010, 10:49 AM
We have to live within our means...if not it is basically cheating...we need to employ a squad of players we can afford...even if that means lesser players and a lower league posistion.

The club will continue to go up and down the divisions in the coming decades...the only important thing is that the club continues to exist even if it is at a lower level for next few seasons.

Going down to League 1 has not killed Saints, Clowns or Norwich. Palace also survived when we were down at that level in the mid 70's. In fact, it was a fun time taking big away support every week to smaller clubs. So even if fire sale were to lead to disasterous on field results, it would not be end of the world.
well said gaz. Was looking forward to a session today, shame norwood circ is going to be out of action for 3months :sob:

Dave
09-01-2010, 10:51 AM

Football has changed.

Palace has changed.

Dropping a division would decimate an already dwindling support.

laggin
09-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Football has changed.

Palace has changed.

sotons gates have improved, norwichs remain the same and the clowns still get more than us

Chunt
09-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Football has changed.

Palace has changed.

See I'm not sure about that, I don't think our attendance would get much worse and if anything a lot of casual support would come back because of a possible reduction in ticket prices and more local derby games both factors that appeal to me.

the kooch
09-01-2010, 11:01 AM
WHAT THE **** JUST HAPPENED?

Is this a joke?

the kooch
09-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Seriously, is this real? I just saw this. Can't believe it tbh.

TheMexicanHorse
See I'm not sure about that, I don't think our attendance would get much worse and if anything a lot of casual support would come back because of a possible reduction in ticket prices and more local derby games both factors that appeal to me.

Tickets are already cheap as chips at the minute though anyways...

:confused:

ForzaPalace
safe to say had the game been on today we would have used the gate money to pay wages rather than resort to selling one of our top players?

spiny norman
09-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Rmember when we had 4500 attendances in the early 80s?

Barbara4003
09-01-2010, 11:04 AM
safe to say had the game been on today we would have used the gate money to pay wages rather than resort to selling one of our top players?

No because the deal was virtually done before the game was called off.

BulletEagle
09-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Oh dear, first of many

deftones_eagle
09-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Well, this has fecked me right off...a player at the heart of the team. Brilliant.

ANDYEAGLE
09-01-2010, 11:15 AM

I wish that was the case.but the on the day money for the Bristol game would have brought in less than 100k. We probably need another 4-5 million on top of this sale to keep us alive to the end of the season. I would expect to see at another 2-3 players go this month. That is of course if there is not a takeover. You can only pray for that.

SharkMan
09-01-2010, 11:18 AM
A real shame, he even said he was happy to stay.. just goes to show how bad things are at the moment.

Jason
09-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Well, this has fecked me right off...a player at the heart of the team. Brilliant.

The problem is (and I'd raise this question fro everyone saying that this is an awful moment), what would you do instead?. Nobody is saying that they're hapy that Fonter is no longer a Palace player, but given our position, what else could have been done?

I'm not asking what should have been done differently five years ago, or even five weeks ago for that matter, as that time is now gone. Given the reality of our position as of Jan 2010, what available option would give us a better outcome now than selling off our more valuable and higher earning players ?

ANDYEAGLE
09-01-2010, 11:21 AM
A real shame, he even said he was happy to stay.. just goes to show how bad things are at the moment.

Yes that is a pity. For once we have a team who actually want to play for us.One of the reasons we are doing so well with a limited squad.
Shame it now has to be split,but we have to get on with it.

Adrock
09-01-2010, 11:23 AM
My memory is Jose & Rui doing shots with us in the Albion after the last game of last season, made time for all the people who had come down to see him and posed for loads of photos.
Said on the mic how next season he would be back there "celebrating promotion with us"

Was very settled here & always the first to come over to the away fans too both when we scored and won games...a massive massive loss, a proper palace lad. :(

How many more will go before Jordan drops his price?

spiny norman
09-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Time will tell of course, but just maybe the "potential new owners" want to keep Moses ,Clyne and say Speroni from being sold, but have given green light to others going i.e. Fonte,Danns, Carle and poss.Ambrosia?

pauldrulez
09-01-2010, 11:25 AM
How many more will go before Jordan drops his price?
What price, no-one wants to buy us until we go into administration.

macstar
09-01-2010, 11:27 AM

exactly what noades says. nobody will want us with all this debt.

james powell
09-01-2010, 11:27 AM
SHIT **** BUGGER ARSE WANK **** DICK **** PUSSY BOLLOCKS TURD ARSEHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's is all I have to say on this matter.

macstar
09-01-2010, 11:30 AM

this should open peoples eye into how much crap we are in..

nice of jordan to tell the fans whats going on!

Dave
09-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Time will tell of course, but just maybe the "potential new owners" want to keep Moses ,Clyne and say Speroni from being sold, but have given green light to others going i.e. Fonte,Danns, Carle and poss.Ambrosia?
Sir, I can only admire your optimism.

Jason
exactly what noades says. nobody will want us with all this debt.

So maybe clearing some of the debt via player sales allows for a takeover. We can't have it all ways

Barbara4003
this should open peoples eye into how much crap we are in..

nice of jordan to tell the fans whats going on!

You must be mellowing, Macstar.

You missed having a jibe at Tom, there.

Well done :)

Adrock
09-01-2010, 11:38 AM

The way I see it, without moses, fonte, danns, clyne, speroni we will be a completely different team and the money they will have to spend twice the money rebuilding as they would have sent on buying the club.
Noades says jordan was still holding out for a fee for the club and surely these player sales are just going to safeguard Jordan's financial future and not the clubs?

spiny norman
09-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Sir, I can only admire your optimism.

:D

The Stig
09-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Cheers Mr Jordan. I appreciate all you have done for us in the past but...bloody hell :sob:

tasty_snacks
09-01-2010, 11:42 AM
what a shame. reminds me of when herman was sold to brentford- he was one of the best players in our team at the time!

but why wouldn't jose want to go to southampton? at the very least, they'll pay him is bloody wages. moreover they're a big club- they had in excess of 30k at their boxing day match against exeter, and regularly get 20k for each home match.

if there's a shread of optimism in this it's how a club can emerge from administration over a very short time period- something to bear in mind as we stare down the barrel of a gun.

Thanet Eagle
09-01-2010, 11:43 AM
First of many. This is going to be a painful time.

palacelad1970
09-01-2010, 11:46 AM
So that leave us with paddy , davis , and ertl , & lawrence

Scrumpy
09-01-2010, 11:47 AM
:sob:

stamford triumph
09-01-2010, 11:49 AM
of course Hill and Butterfield can also play at centre back

Kirby
09-01-2010, 11:54 AM
"Number 6 - JOSE FONT!"

Jay_eagle
09-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Did not expect to see jose as the first to go but this is a truely awful decision.

Gooders
09-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Gutted.

marky1919
09-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Respect Fonte's decision, but he's quoted as saying he thinks he can get to the Premier League quicker with Southampton?! Surely not ...

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Shit.

gadford4th
09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Right people, time to get positive.

Hill looks better at CB than LB and this means we'll see more of another promising youngster in Lee Hills.

Think of that pace on the left wing! Mick Jones says he is the best crosser at the club! Think of the assists for Alan Lee! It's going to be alright!

917L
09-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks for this, despite the usual suspects spouting their shite it seems you were bang on. Much kudos to you.

Bang on?

He quoted a load of figures but no one knows whether they are anything like what the actual fee is, as its not been disclosed

glenn.f
09-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Gutted to lose him, seems to me we have lost one those dying breed of foreign players (just like Julian) who actually wanted to play for us. Going by the way he mixed in with the supporters.
Ball playing centre halves dont often come along too often- especially at Palace - but he certainly made our side look a lot better when he was playing.
Can't understand some of the split over his ability when you compare his mistakes to others.
I have a minor suspicion Warnock was never totally convinced as he wasn't his model type of centre-half but he must have been doing something right to get into his side.
All the best Jose and thank you Palace for starting this month with such miserable news.

st albans
09-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Respect Fonte's decision, but he's quoted as saying he thinks he can get to the Premier League quicker with Southampton?! Surely not ...

makes sense to me i think. they do seem to have a bit of cash and would be one of the favourites to go up next season

would they be in a better position in 2 seasons to be challenging for promotion from the championship? probably

cpfcmazz
09-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Fonte was one of my favourite players, added a bit of class to the team....great now all we have are great big hoofers at the back

gadford4th
09-01-2010, 12:15 PM
I have a minor suspicion Warnock was never totally convinced as he wasn't his model type of centre-half but he must have been doing something right to get into his side.

Good point this.

pauldrulez
09-01-2010, 12:15 PM
And Hill and Butterfield. Both are more than capable to play at CB.

RedStripe Eagle
09-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Right people, time to get positive.

Hill looks better at CB than LB and this means we'll see more of another promising youngster in Lee Hills.

Think of that pace on the left wing! Mick Jones says he is the best crosser at the club! Think of the assists for Alan Lee! It's going to be alright!

yep that is right, but what happens when Hills goes to swansea for a pitance :( :sob: :(

BulletEagle
09-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Butterfield - Davis - Hill - Clyne

Clyne - Davis - McCarthy - Hill

Butterfield - Davis - Hill - Hills

Clyne - Davis - McCarthy - Hills

There are many ways we can get round this and still have Lawrence and Ertl left over.

Lydder
09-01-2010, 12:19 PM
enough's enough, I can't bear to watch this slow death of our club any longer. :sob:

kolinkins
09-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Bang on?

He quoted a load of figures but no one knows whether they are anything like what the actual fee is, as its not been disclosed

They are brothers

kolinkins
09-01-2010, 12:21 PM

Why did he sign him then, after having him on loan?

strawberry mivi
09-01-2010, 12:21 PM
A class player, sorry to see him leave.
I assume we can now at least pay the remaining staff and players this months salary without needing to borrow money.

glenn.f
09-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Why did he sign him then, after having him on loan?

I dont know.....just got that impression given the odd dig he received for not getting rid from time to time and even tongue in cheek stuff about fancy boots etc. Probably signed him because deep down knew he was a decent player.

SaintRachel
09-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Hi guys, just wanted to come on here to say Good Luck with getting out of your financial problems. Saints went through hell and looked at the bottom of the black hole before we found our way out. We lost ALL our good players when we went into admin and down into League 1. We've struggled, but we're now climbing up again. Now debt-free, but still points-deducted. Hope to see you when we're back in the Championship... before too long.

Isle of Wight
09-01-2010, 12:39 PM
What the Fk!! I am so sorry to see him go. It shows where we really are in terms of a club I'm afraid :(

spotkick
09-01-2010, 12:51 PM
There's only one 'Matty Lawrence' - LOL!

Barbara4003
09-01-2010, 12:53 PM
And Jose is May in the calendar

Dave
09-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi guys, just wanted to come on here to say Good Luck with getting out of your financial problems. Saints went through hell and looked at the bottom of the black hole before we found our way out. We lost ALL our good players when we went into admin and down into League 1. We've struggled, but we're now climbing up again. Now debt-free, but still points-deducted. Hope to see you when we're back in the Championship... before too long. Thanks

Barbara4003
09-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi guys, just wanted to come on here to say Good Luck with getting out of your financial problems. Saints went through hell and looked at the bottom of the black hole before we found our way out. We lost ALL our good players when we went into admin and down into League 1. We've struggled, but we're now climbing up again. Now debt-free, but still points-deducted. Hope to see you when we're back in the Championship... before too long.

Thank you.

And that's really nice of you to say you hope to see us when you're back in the Championship. Much better than assuming we'll end up in League 1.

Good luck :)

ANDYEAGLE
09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Hope to see you when we're back in the Championship... before too long.

I will drink to that. Hopefully u make it this season as it means more dosh for us from the Fonte deal.

maestro
09-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Its a shame to see him go, a good player and no disrecpect to southampton but he's better than league 1 standard, I think he's made a bad move to be honest

danpalacefan5
09-01-2010, 01:08 PM
good luck jose! :(

Godstone Eagle
09-01-2010, 01:25 PM

Swindle
09-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Hang on a minute lads I've got an idea ....

Swindle
09-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Let's shave shaggy's chin and dye his hair black ....

Swindle
09-01-2010, 01:33 PM
.... and give him a complimentary train ticket to Southampton.

thehalifaxman
09-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Its a shame to see him go, a good player and no disrecpect to southampton but he's better than league 1 standard, I think he's made a bad move to be honest

It doesn't seem he had much of a choice in the matter. Bit like Jansen. Good luck Jose

PalaceSince2004
09-01-2010, 01:41 PM

Absouletely gutted!! I remember the first ever game he played against Everton in a friendly (Andy Johnson's arrangement), he was quality!! Now we have to rely on Lawrance :grrr:

Portland Saint
09-01-2010, 01:48 PM
As a Saints fan I know exactly what you're going through and I hope you get through the financial troubles soon, avoid points deduction and relegation and keep your rightful place in the CCC. It's a bitch having to sell your best players but look where we were in June 09 and now we are a financially stable club with a funded five year plan. Keep the faith and the best of luck.

AJ
09-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I expect to be dragged into the street and flogged for this; but, I am somewhat excited by Fonte leaving!! Not from a playing point of view, but, from a financial one. In my head, I never had Fonte down as a sellable asset, so, to see that Palace have got a good valuation for him, cheers me up a little, as it points to light at the end of the tunnel.
When you consider all the players Palace have bought since AJ who were actually bought and then sold for decent money, let alone a profit, it few and far between. It's quite possible that if Danns follows for similar money that only one of Speroni, Clyne and Moses will have to be sold.

SE25Eagle
09-01-2010, 02:02 PM
It may be that we might only be a week or 2 away from a takeover and NW was asked what player he can do without as we need a quick answer to some cash to tide us over..?

AJ's right boot
09-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Clint hill to CB and Hills at LB, recall wiggins.

Sleeping Giant
09-01-2010, 02:17 PM
One of the last i'd have wanted to see go.

PalaceSince2004
09-01-2010, 02:18 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12875_5846235,00.html

Southampton have swooped to sign Jose Fonte from Crystal Palace.

The Championship club are struggling financially and now they have allowed Fonte to move to St Mary's for a fee believed to be in excess of 1million.

The Portuguese defender has been a strong performer for The Eagles since joining from Benfica in 2007 - but he has now accepted the drop down to League One.

"I'm really happy to be here," he told Southampton's official website.

"Don't get me wrong I was happy at Crystal Palace and I have only good memories of my time there, but I've made a decision that I'm very happy with.

"This might seem like a step back, but it may be two steps forward and that's how I see it.

"I want to be in the Premier League as soon as I can and this can be the fastest way to go there, so I'm really happy and I just want to meet my new team-mates, start training and start helping this club.

"I've seen the ambition from the manager and the chairman. I've seen the project and I want to be a part of it to get to the Premier League with them.

"I've come here with a focus on helping the club into the top division and I am very happy with the contract and how I have been treated by everybody, so it is a happy day for me.

"I just want to help the club, the team, my teammates and please the fans."

Eddie'S Dad
09-01-2010, 02:30 PM

Thank you Rachel.

Look after "Saint Jose" for us ... we want him back one day ;)

Crunchie
09-01-2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks Rachel. Very Kind.

We have been through it too, and to me is was one of the most amazing over achievements to have kids playing and managing to stay up under Coppell. Oddly enough one of my favourite ever seasons as a Palace fan, backs against the wall etc.

Fonte is in my opinion is the best defender we have had in the last few years by far, so you have a good signing.

Feel gutted by this but good luck

David Amsalem
09-01-2010, 02:33 PM
This move reminds be of when Coleman joined Fulham from Blackburn. .

But good luck to Jose. Forgetting how talented he is for one minute, he also seems like a top, top man :p

Eddie'S Dad
09-01-2010, 02:33 PM

I think that he has a point.

Southampton have been through the sh^t we're in now, and come out the other side - stronger and debt free.

They also have a rich benefactor as owner (something that we have never had) and a strong fan base.

As much as it sticks in the throat to say it, they would appear to be better equipped to progress then we are ... for starters they have 1.5m to spend on a player !!!!

Dave
09-01-2010, 02:38 PM
As a Saints fan I know exactly what you're going through and I hope you get through the financial troubles soon, avoid points deduction and relegation and keep your rightful place in the CCC. It's a bitch having to sell your best players but look where we were in June 09 and now we are a financially stable club with a funded five year plan. Keep the faith and the best of luck. five year plan :)

Woosie
09-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Clint hill to CB and Hills at LB, recall wiggins.

Wiggins has been sold to Norwich, he didn't go out on loan. But i suspect Hills will go left-back and Hill centre-back like you say.

saints karl
09-01-2010, 02:57 PM
i honestly do feel 4 u palace supporters as i know how it feels 2 watch your team basically falling apart before your eyes watching all your best players get sold off to try and pay the wages and other things. Then to have a load of young players to come in and try their best but their best just is not good enough. It is gutting looking face to face with death off your football club. But i really do hope you pull out off it and get a decent chairmen who has the best wishes off the club at heart. And if you survive i hope to see you next season when we get back to the championship as our games always provide good entertainment. As they say always look on the bright side off life :) GOOD LUCK!!!

Brett
09-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Does the Fonte fee include Danns or is that another matter?

montstar
09-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Does the Fonte fee include Danns or is that another matter?

completely separate I believe - the danns side of things is still a rumour - am following his twitter though just in case:p

Shipsisourking
09-01-2010, 03:36 PM
bye jose, good luck old chap, you will be missed :(

Oh south london
09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Thank you Jose for everything. One of our best defenders I can remember. It was good to see him grab a goal during his last game for the club. One last time. "Jose Fonte Baby":lux: :lux: :sob:

KyleGraham
09-01-2010, 04:23 PM
He is quoted (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/football/teams/s/southampton/8449534.stm) as saying 'I want to play in the Premier League and I think I can do that quickest by moving here' (but I suspect it is just his sense of humour)

I'm a Southampton fan and to be honest our owner is a billionaire, we are going to get in the play offs this year even though we started with -10, we would of probably got in automatic. We will either go up this year or next, whereas Crystal Palace are in massive debt you could go into adminastration. As soon as Saints get into the championship we will be in the premierleague in two years because of the money our chairman will put in. Think we are spending 1.5million in League One think how much we will be spending in the Championship and then Premierleague. If I'm honest I think C.P will go down next season. Hopefully we buy Neil Dannes off you, because you guys need the money!

IpswichEagle
09-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Gutted that Jose has gone and wish him all the best for his career at the Saints.

I think he was the classiest CB we have had for a long long time and i think we are a much poorer team with his loss.

Don't buy into this 'overrated' nonsense one dot. I felt the most comfortable when Palace were defending with Fonte in the team i think i can ever remember.

PeterH
09-01-2010, 04:48 PM
I hope it is a very small step to getting out of the crisis. However, I suspect that the impact will be minimal and in two months the sdale will have been in vain.

Thus, I can't see a positive side to the sale. We have sold one of our best players, probably to pay Agilo not to put us in administration. And that is SJs feck up.

Snorwood Eagle
09-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Gutted. Just gutted.

palacemaniac
09-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Depressing stuff

KP'S Nuts
09-01-2010, 05:01 PM
As the players are the only real asset for a potential buyer and we are now selling them off to pay the bills no buyer will now take any gamble on us. I would have thought so near to the play off places a buyer might take a chance on us for a not large outlay on adding one or two players the gamble might have seen the side in the premier. without the core of our side they will wait until we go into admin and reach our lowest buying price prob in league 1.

stamford triumph
09-01-2010, 05:14 PM
As the players are the only real asset for a potential buyer and we are now selling them off to pay the bills no buyer will now take any gamble on us. I would have thought so near to the play off places a buyer might take a chance on us for a not large outlay on adding one or two players the gamble might have seen the side in the premier. without the core of our side they will wait until we go into admin and reach our lowest buying price prob in league 1.
On the other hand if we realise fairly hefty transfer sales we probably won't go in to administration! I'm very disappointed by Jose's sale but at the same time surprised we could bring in that much for one of our less well known players.

Niel Smillie
09-01-2010, 05:14 PM
I hope it is a very small step to getting out of the crisis. However, I suspect that the impact will be minimal and in two months the sdale will have been in vain.

Thus, I can't see a positive side to the sale. We have sold one of our best players, probably to pay Agilo not to put us in administration. And that is SJs feck up.

This sale was probably to pay the wages to stop other players being able to walk for nothing. As the money goes via the FL, there must be a possibility that some of the money will go to the other clubs we owe money to first.
So I don't think much of this will go to the HMR or Agilo.
A couple of others will have to go before we start making an impact on those debts and the 27th is getting closer.

Stigma
09-01-2010, 06:08 PM
:( The downfall (on the field) have started..

loz
09-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I expect to be dragged into the street and flogged for this; but, I am somewhat excited by Fonte leaving!! Not from a playing point of view, but, from a financial one. In my head, I never had Fonte down as a sellable asset, so, to see that Palace have got a good valuation for him, cheers me up a little, as it points to light at the end of the tunnel.
When you consider all the players Palace have bought since AJ who were actually bought and then sold for decent money, let alone a profit, it few and far between. It's quite possible that if Danns follows for similar money that only one of Speroni, Clyne and Moses will have to be sold.

Wot he said.

crystalspete
09-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Like many on here, very disappointed to see Jose go; he was clearly sorry to go as well - but that is life when you are in the financial do-do we appear to be in.

As for looking forward, yes, we do have a ready made replacement in the side at the moment in Hill, but both he and Davis have just returned from ban's, how long before one or the other is banned again? - that's when we might be a little bit short at the back until Paddy comes back - I know Butterfield played well there once this season but that should not be seen as a long term solution.

There may well be a cunning plan afoot to help us out as Neil intimated in his Independent column and thats what we have to hope for, if we do find a potential buyer lets get behind the the players that remain in the 'red and blue' as they deserve our support in these trying times.

swissroll
09-01-2010, 06:54 PM
We all knew bad news was coming but didnt make it feel any better when it did. It may help a sale of Palace in a way if the overall wage bill drops to break even or better then its a positive thing.
Just a shame its happened now when we have a very realistic chance of a promotion shot and not at seasons end.

ugly and fat
09-01-2010, 07:23 PM
completely separate I believe - the danns side of things is still a rumour - am following his twitter though just in case:p

ive tried to find his twitter page,and its now no longer available....

henryhallandhisbasque
09-01-2010, 07:54 PM
You wonder where it is all going to end.

Do you class Fonte as the first rat to leave the sinking ship, or completely understand his decision to go somewhere his wages will get paid on time? He must have been desperate to escape to agree go to a club ten points off the play-offs with realistically at least this season and the next in League One.

So I guess the current plan is going to be doing anything possible to stave off administration, sell whatever decent players remain and keep the whole ridiculous farce going until there is nothing left to keep going with.

The thought of Lawrence appearing in the first team again is an absolutely ghastly prospect to behold.

John from Beare Green
09-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Is this a new role for one of our agents? Agent Pardew saves Palace by buying a player from us when we urgently need the cash and no other club has put an acceptable offer on the table.

Looking at who is left to replace him, we shouldn't forget Ertl who NW recently referred to as a central defender playing in midfield.

zonin2000
09-01-2010, 08:05 PM
http://twitter.com/dannzy1

He's trying to get to 200 followes by the end of the day.

may blunderer
09-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Erm, we offered Watson a contract - he didn't want to sign it.

Sorry if that doesn't fit into your rant.

Do you honestly think Watson would still be at palace even if he did sign a new contract? Just like any other player we have who is worth anything he would have been made available for any reasonable fee. What a mess Jordan has made of things. If he had any real love for the club he would give the club away for a nominal amount to someone who can run it properly. That's my rant over.

Away Day Eagle
09-01-2010, 10:07 PM

F Vck Southampton and all who sail in her.

Never Forget 1976.

C vnts:hmph:

GodstoneEagle
09-01-2010, 10:13 PM
fvck Danny Higginbotham

montstar
09-01-2010, 10:14 PM

yes it is I was just on it

hes been rying to get to 200 followers all day and made it

why dont you make it 201

http://twitter.com/dannzy1

:p

Doh someone beat me to it - oh well

CricksShirleyRd
09-01-2010, 10:19 PM
SOUTHAMPTON have joined the chase for Crystal Palace defender Jose Fonte.

The South London Press has received confirmation that the ambitious Saints are hoping to tempt the Portuguese stopper into dropping into League One.

Southampton are ready to pay around 1.5million for Fonte - but face competition from Sheffield United for his signature.

If the Blades do follow through with their interest in the 26-year-old, they are in pole position. The Yorkshire outfit are drawing up a list of potential replacements for if they sell Matthew Kilgallon.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=65&headline=Exclusive:
Neil Warnock better have something good up his sleeve to counter this blow!

Away Day Eagle
09-01-2010, 10:19 PM
fvck Danny Higginbotham

Good work Godders.

You're getting the hang of this.

Palace Kebab
09-01-2010, 10:22 PM

It only gives that message if you are not logged in/not got an account

howard
09-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Why an 'undisclosed fee?'

kolinkins
09-01-2010, 10:30 PM
fvck Danny Higginbotham

and all who sail in him

PALACEFAN
09-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Do you honestly think Watson would still be at palace even if he did sign a new contract? Just like any other player we have who is worth anything he would have been made available for any reasonable fee. What a mess Jordan has made of things. If he had any real love for the club he would give the club away for a nominal amount to someone who can run it properly. That's my rant over.

It's irrelavant, he did not want to stay here. You can't use ifs and buts to try a nd prove your point. We're a 2nd tier side, who will players will often want to leave. Maybe some of the 'fans' might be worth considering more closely in Ben not wanting to stay.

Benzhiyi
10-01-2010, 12:16 AM
About the right level for him. Ridiculously overrated.

Bring on the McCarthy-Davis era. Whoop!

kolinkins
10-01-2010, 12:18 AM

Taking the piss, arent you

Fonte brings the worst out in you Ben.

SpikeyMatt
10-01-2010, 12:30 AM
fvck Danny Higginbotham

delboy01
10-01-2010, 12:38 AM

Have you been drinking?

Benzhiyi
10-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Decent player. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not the Messiah that people make him out to be. Yay, he can do a shimmy! He's a ******* centre back for Chrissakes.

Now if Paddy goes I will be gutted.

AJ
10-01-2010, 01:12 AM

No worries there mate, even the most desperate aren't going to buy him while injured.

kolinkins
10-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Decent player. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not the Messiah that people make him out to be. Yay, he can do a shimmy! He's a ******* centre back for Chrissakes.

Not if he plays like he has done this season

Sussex Eagle
10-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Taking the piss, arent you

Fonte brings the worst out in you Ben.
He cannot stand any player he hasn't got a (football) boner for being universally popular for some odd reason. It's a complex.

laggin
10-01-2010, 05:15 AM
I'm a Southampton fan and to be honest our owner is a billionaire, we are going to get in the play offs this year even though we started with -10, we would of probably got in automatic. We will either go up this year or next, whereas Crystal Palace are in massive debt you could go into adminastration. As soon as Saints get into the championship we will be in the premierleague in two years because of the money our chairman will put in. Think we are spending 1.5million in League One think how much we will be spending in the Championship and then Premierleague. If I'm honest I think C.P will go down next season. Hopefully we buy Neil Dannes off you, because you guys need the money!
**** off you scummer ****, this is the typical attitude of a scummer supporter, think you are going to walk everything well how long did forest and now leeds take to get out your mickey mouse division? Rupert took you for a ride and if it werent for the swiss toblerone you would be bust! 1harry redknapp :lux:

Away Day Eagle
10-01-2010, 05:37 AM
i honestly do feel 4 u palace supporters as i know how it feels 2 watch your team basically falling apart before your eyes watching all your best players get sold off to try and pay the wages and other things. Then to have a load of young players to come in and try their best but their best just is not good enough. It is gutting looking face to face with death off your football club. But i really do hope you pull out off it and get a decent chairmen who has the best wishes off the club at heart. And if you survive i hope to see you next season when we get back to the championship as our games always provide good entertainment. As they say always look on the bright side off life :) GOOD LUCK!!!

Much the same as to watch your team get kicked by a gang of wa nkers managed by a boring Geordie ****, like man, in an FA Cup Semi Final.

Don't talk to me about your "best" players, you didn't have any.

Rodriguez still remains a c Vnt to Palace fans.

Remember 'Peter Taylor' , do you ?

Fuc k you and all who sail in her :hmph:

PhuketEagle
10-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Dear Mr Kyle Graham (Southampton fan).
You are a complete moron. There's nothing more to be said.

hypochondriac
10-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi saints fan here. I really feel for your supporters. We went through it last year and it's not nice selling off your players and slowly getting lower and lower in the leagues. Even though I think your chairman is a twat I wouldn't want you to go down. Administration isn't the answer and we were literally days from going out of existence until we got extremely lucky. Can I also take this opportunity to disassociate myself from that total knob above KyleGraham. Please do not think that very saints fan is like that becaue we are not. I'm embarrassed that he supports the same club as I do and I apologise. On a brighter note I don't think we will be signing Danns, I think Brian Stock is much more likely. Hopefully you can keep him. All the best.

jazman
10-01-2010, 01:35 PM
:eek: I have only just read this about Fonte going ........

To effing Southampton. A team that Fonte says will get him to the Premiership ... ???

I know we have money trouble but if this is sign of things to come lower division sides taking our first choice players then the outlook is very bleak indeed ...

kolinkins
10-01-2010, 01:39 PM
He cannot stand any player he hasn't got a (football) boner for being universally popular for some odd reason. It's a complex.

In this case, it probably has more to do with enjoying a pint now and again with Matty

ianace
10-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I am very disappointed with this sale, especially as I was recently told that SJ had sorted the finances out & NO player had to be sold. I was told that ONE player might be sold because the fee was so high.

Fonte is a ball playing centre back. Having him in the team allows us to play McCarthy or Davies who are a lot less subtle.

Fonte is 24 years old, his best years are still to come & he has 10 years at the highest level. I am feeling another Hreidarsson hear where he is trasfered on for much more money than we sold him for & many years in the premiership. (for Fonte, not Palace)

Is it any coincidence the number of clean sheets we keep with Fonte playing?
Where we will find a decent replacement for little or no money?

roadrunner
10-01-2010, 02:15 PM
I am very disappointed with this sale, especially as I was recently told that SJ had sorted the finances out & NO player had to be sold. I was told that ONE player might be sold because the fee was so high.

Fonte is a ball playing centre back. Having him in the team allows us to play McCarthy or Davies who are a lot less subtle.

Fonte is 24 years old, his best years are still to come & he has 10 years at the highest level. I am feeling another Hreidarsson hear where he is trasfered on for much more money than we sold him for & many years in the premiership. (for Fonte, not Palace)

Is it any coincidence the number of clean sheets we keep with Fonte playing?
Where we will find a decent replacement for little or no money?Agree with all of this,I`m shocked at how bad a state the club must be in.To be honest we aren`t exactly ripping up tree`s with our play now,with Fonte gone and Moses to follow,bleak stuff ahead.:( :( :(

Vince Hilaire's Afro
10-01-2010, 02:34 PM
If he fails to settle there, or Southampton end up going nowhere, I could see us buying him back should we get the finances back in order.

And not get relegated.

Or still be under embargoes.

Anyhow, I don't think we can rue losing players, however much it hurts. In a year's time, we might have even better replacements. Who knows.

limited_edition
10-01-2010, 03:47 PM

Bring on the McCarthy-Davis era. Whoop!But you overrate Lenny. You put him and Jose on the same level once. Paddy won't be fit for a while. And even when fit, there's the risk of it reoccuring. Jose will be missed.

thereichstuff
10-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Agree with all of this,I`m shocked at how bad a state the club must be in.To be honest we aren`t exactly ripping up tree`s with our play now,with Fonte gone and Moses to follow,bleak stuff ahead.:( :( :(:confused: Shocked ?

Mickey Gilley
10-01-2010, 04:44 PM
If he fails to settle there, or Southampton end up going nowhere, I could see us buying him back should we get the finances back in order.

And not get relegated.

Or still be under embargoes.

Anyhow, I don't think we can rue losing players, however much it hurts. In a year's time, we might have even better replacements. Who knows.

I doubt it as he's hardly a Warnock type centre back. In fact if Warnock had a choice of losing Fonte, Davis or a fit McCarthy then I'm pretty sure he'd choose Fonte every time.

kolinkins
10-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I doubt it as he's hardly a Warnock type centre back.

As I said before, if this was the case, he would not have signed him.

GodstoneEagle
10-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Indeed. As I remember it, he wasn't a Warnock style player and wasn't in favour in Warnock's first few games but he worked his way into the reckoning to make it into our playoff push at the end of Warnock's first season.

Mickey Gilley
10-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Indeed. As I remember it, he wasn't a Warnock style player and wasn't in favour in Warnock's first few games but he worked his way into the reckoning to make it into our playoff push at the end of Warnock's first season.

Exactly, he wasn't a Warnock type player but his excellent performances forced him into his plans. I just don't think he's the sort of player Warnock would normally go out looking for.

NZsparky
10-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Oh bloody woe,
It's just going to be more depressing bad news from here on in innit.

kolinkins
10-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Exactly, he wasn't a Warnock type player but his excellent performances forced him into his plans. I just don't think he's the sort of player Warnock would normally go out looking for.

So why did he pay 600k for him then, when he did not need to?

roadrunner
10-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Rather than trawl all through this thread how much did he go for?

Cleon
10-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Rather than trawl all through this thread how much did he go for?

Undisclosed, but somebody has claimed with some authority that it was:

800k upfront
400k if Southampton get promoted in the next three seasons and
100k if he plays 50 or 100 games

roadrunner
10-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Undisclosed, but somebody has claimed with some authority that it was:

800k upfront
400k if Southampton get promoted in the next three seasons and
100k if he plays 50 or 100 gamesHmmm thanks for that,quality defender and too cheap.:( :(

Chobham Eagle
10-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Hmmm thanks for that,quality defender and too cheap.:( :(

I was sad to see him go but if these figures are right, it's not a bad price at all.

roadrunner
10-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I was sad to see him go but if these figures are right, it's not a bad price at all.Maybe in this division but win the play offs (hah)and how much would we have to pay to get a similar quality replacement?

Chobham Eagle
10-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Maybe in this division but win the play offs (hah)and how much would we have to pay to get a similar quality replacement?

Dunno - I'll worry about that when we win the play offs! :p

Walrus
10-01-2010, 09:23 PM
We can afford to let Fonte go with little negative consequences for our medium-term performance.

Losing Danns would / will have a much bigger impact.

Anyone looking at buying Palace needs to do it quick before the playing staff are filletted.

Palace Kebab
10-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Maybe in this division but win the play offs (hah)and how much would we have to pay to get a similar quality replacement?

The play offs bit is not relevant.

A similar replacement could be signed for about what we sold him for or cheaper if you can pick someone up at the end of their contract. It is a fair price in my opinion. I suspect it will be a while before we need to worry about buying players...

roadrunner
10-01-2010, 09:26 PM
The play offs bit is not relevant.

A similar replacement could be signed for about what we sold him for or cheaper if you can pick someone up at the end of their contract. It is a fair price in my opinion. I suspect it will be a while before we need to worry about buying players...Sadly I think you are right about the buying bit.:( :(

Vince Hilaire's Afro
11-01-2010, 07:40 AM
I doubt it as he's hardly a Warnock type centre back. In fact if Warnock had a choice of losing Fonte, Davis or a fit McCarthy then I'm pretty sure he'd choose Fonte every time.
Could depend on how the defence performs in his absence.

alf
11-01-2010, 08:56 AM
I haven't read all the thread but it seems that Jose has left. A great pity. I considered him to be our best defender this season. I feel that he did a lot of 'covering' in defence which went unnoticed, he just got on with things without making a big fuss. I feel that he will be much missed in the middle of the defence.

Woodside_CP
11-01-2010, 09:15 AM
I haven't read all the thread but it seems that Jose has left. A great pity. I considered him to be our best defender this season. I feel that he did a lot of 'covering' in defence which went unnoticed, he just got on with things without making a big fuss. I feel that he will be much missed in the middle of the defence.

Ditto.

He'll be missed a lot more than some people are saying on here. He was the foil to the typical British CB's we have like McCarthy, Davis...and now maybe Lawrence and Hill. The combo of the two styles was what IMO made our defense so strong...now the only option we have is "Warnock style" players at CB who are extremely one dimensional. A clever striker will easily find a way to exploit a pairing involving any of these 4 players.

ianace
11-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Ditto.

He'll be missed a lot more than some people are saying on here. He was the foil to the typical B
ritish CB's we have like McCarthy, Davis...and now maybe Lawrence and Hill. The combo of the two styles was what IMO made our defense so strong...now the only option we have is "Warnock style" players at CB who are extremely one dimensional. A clever striker will easily find a way to exploit a pairing involving any of these 4 players.

Spot on! Unfortunately we are being asset stripped with our good players & the heart of the side being ripped out. Fonte, Moses & who next, Danns, Speroni?

sydnsteve
11-01-2010, 09:36 AM
We can afford to let Fonte go with little negative consequences for our medium-term performance.

Losing Danns would / will have a much bigger impact.

Anyone looking at buying Palace needs to do it quick before the playing staff are filletted.

Too late. Moses apparently all but gone, Fonte gone. TBH we have hardly anyone left worth bothering with.

m_reid
11-01-2010, 02:22 PM
JOHANNES Ertl is ready to fill the void left in the Palace defence following the departure of Jose Fonte to Southampton.
The 27-year-old Austrian has established himself in the holding midfield role for the Eagles this season, but is happy to move into the back four if manager Neil Warnock asks him to.
Fonte completed the switch to St Mary's last Friday and with Paddy McCarthy still out with a damaged shoulder Palace are short of options at centre back.
However, Ertl - who was originally signed from Austria Vienna as a defender - says he is more than happy to slot back into his old position if required.
"I am enjoying it in midfield, but I will play where the manager asks me to," he said. "I was very sad to see Jose go as he was a good friend and a really good player for the team.
"But that is what he has decided to do and we must respect that. In football people come and go all the time and we just have to get on with it as best we can."
Despite the uncertainty surrounding the club at present Ertl remains positive he and his team mates can continue to exceed expectations.
"We are aware of what is going on, but as a group we are very focussed and are only concentrating on what is happening on the pitch," he said. "It is a tough situation but I still feel very confident that we can get into the play-offs at the end of the season. That is still the goal for me."

Big Blue Eagle
11-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Too late. Moses apparently all but gone, Fonte gone. TBH we have hardly anyone left worth bothering with.

What a drama queen:

Speroni

Clyne-Davis (McCarty) - Hill - Hills

Scannell/Cadogan/Djilali - Derry - Ertl - Ambrose

Andrew Lee

spiny norman
11-01-2010, 02:32 PM
The rumour that Man City will sign Moses then loan him out to WestBrom, is the one I would find painful..why cant he be loaned to bacK to US?

Benzhiyi
11-01-2010, 02:38 PM
In this case, it probably has more to do with enjoying a pint now and again with Matty

I've only met Lawrence three times, the last 18 months ago, and had no contact with him since.

The Sherlock Holmes thing ain't for you, Nav. ;)

kolinkins
11-01-2010, 02:40 PM
I've only met Lawrence three times, the last 18 months ago, and had no contact with him since.

The Sherlock Holmes thing ain't for you, Nav. ;)

Well, I was being roundabout - but it is clear that you are close with a BBSer who is close with Matty. That will make you naturally biased.

Benzhiyi
11-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Not really - don't especially rate Lawrence and think it's time for him to move on. Certainly shouldn't be near first team contention if McCarthy, Davis, Hill and Ertl are all fit and capable of playing in the centre. And he's certainly an inferior footballer compared to Fonte.

My lack of love for Fonte has nothing to do with any other player apart from maybe Paddy, who I believe is the superior defender. He (Fonte) is an average Championship defender, prone to incredible lapses in concentration that people tend to ignore because he has a bit of skill on the ball. Going by the recent team of the decade polls, he's also by some distance the most overrated Palace player of the last ten years.

If his name was Josh Fenton he'd be viewed as just another two bob never-gonna-play-in-the-top-flight centre back. Which is perhaps why he was approached by, and has signed for, Southampton and not Portsmouth or Hull or Burnley or, for that matter, any other side in the division we currently play in.

Bye, then. :hi:

sydnsteve
11-01-2010, 03:38 PM
What a drama queen:

Speroni

Clyne-Davis (McCarty) - Hill - Hills

Scannell/Cadogan/Djilali - Derry - Ertl - Ambrose

Andrew Lee

And other than Speroni, worth an expensive can of Beans, and who knows how many of those will be gone. However, carry on in that pile of sand.

kolinkins
11-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Not really - don't especially rate Lawrence and think it's time for him to move on. Certainly shouldn't be near first team contention if McCarthy, Davis, Hill and Ertl are all fit and capable of playing in the centre. And he's certainly an inferior footballer compared to Fonte.

My lack of love for Fonte has nothing to do with any other player apart from maybe Paddy, who I believe is the superior defender. He (Fonte) is an average Championship defender, prone to incredible lapses in concentration that people tend to ignore because he has a bit of skill on the ball. Going by the recent team of the decade polls, he's also by some distance the most overrated Palace player of the last ten years.

If his name was Josh Fenton he'd be viewed as just another two bob never-gonna-play-in-the-top-flight centre back. Which is perhaps why he was approached by, and has signed for, Southampton and not Portsmouth or Hull or Burnley or, for that matter, any other side in the division we currently play in.

Bye, then. :hi:

Hello Ben

I see Fonte's mistakes - which are much fewer and further between than any of the centre backs you mention in your post. And, unlike the others, he has it in him to recover from a mistake.

I take it you'd take (if all fit) Carragher and Terry over Rio?

Benzhiyi
11-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Hello Ben

I see Fonte's mistakes - which are much fewer and further between than any of the centre backs you mention in your post. And, unlike the others, he has it in him to recover from a mistake.

I take it you'd take (if all fit) Carragher and Terry over Rio?

In that case you watch different games from myself and people I trust on footballing matters like Neil The Eagle, Brett, and some of the ladies who don't post much in GPC but know their football much more than many of the blokes on here.

Maybe we should agree to disagree on centre backs - your last golden boy is currently proving everything I said about him to be true over at QPR, and your latest is now playing at the same level as one Darren Ward. (I'll concede you were right on that one btw... ;) )

I've probably go Carra and Rio over JT. Never thought much of him at international level. The fact he's captain is a total joke.

JoseToSaints
11-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Dear Palace People - this is not to wind you up, but is a sincere note of thanks for letting us have Jose Fonte!! I gather he has been a stalward in your team and by the reaction on this board he is well regarded! Hope the money comes in handy and keeps you afloat; being in administration is not fun for anyone (but seeing Pompey struggle is a right giggle!)

So cheers me deers, we could have done with him when your arch-rivals Albion beat us 1-3 before Chrimbo...

All the best and hope it works out for y'all

Cheers,
Saints Till I Die

Vince Hilaire's Afro
11-01-2010, 06:13 PM
The rumour that Man City will sign Moses then loan him out to WestBrom, is the one I would find painful..why cant he be loaned to bacK to US?

Transfer embargo/unable to pay wages?

thereichstuff
11-01-2010, 06:14 PM
And other than Speroni, worth an expensive can of Beans, and who knows how many of those will be gone. However, carry on in that pile of sand.Idont think anyone has got their heads in the sand we all know the score . I think he is fed up ,as i am , at the ultra gloomy comments bounded around atm . You never know whats around the corner do you ! come over to the oc camp :lux:

kolinkins
11-01-2010, 06:19 PM
In that case you watch different games from myself and people I trust on footballing matters like Neil The Eagle, Brett, and some of the ladies who don't post much in GPC but know their football much more than many of the blokes on here.

Did I say he doesn't make mistakes? Yes, he is/was over-rated by some on here, but under-rated by you.

Maybe we should agree to disagree on centre backs - your last golden boy is currently proving everything I said about him to be true over at QPR, and your latest is now playing at the same level as one Darren Ward. (I'll concede you were right on that one btw... ;) )

So we're even then :)

I've probably go Carra and Rio over JT. Never thought much of him at international level. The fact he's captain is a total joke.

Have you seen Carra play this season?

Agree re JT.

I suppose it depends what you want from your centre backs. If I wanted someone to take bullets to save my life, I would pick Paddy, Ward, Carra and JT. If wanted someone to avoid the need for conflict through diplomacy, I would do with Rio, Hall and Fonte.

gold76
11-01-2010, 06:53 PM
JOHANNES Ertl is ready to fill the void left in the Palace defence following the departure of Jose Fonte to Southampton.
The 27-year-old Austrian has established himself in the holding midfield role for the Eagles this season, but is happy to move into the back four if manager Neil Warnock asks him to.
Fonte completed the switch to St Mary's last Friday and with Paddy McCarthy still out with a damaged shoulder Palace are short of options at centre back.
However, Ertl - who was originally signed from Austria Vienna as a defender - says he is more than happy to slot back into his old position if required.
"I am enjoying it in midfield, but I will play where the manager asks me to," he said. "I was very sad to see Jose go as he was a good friend and a really good player for the team.
"But that is what he has decided to do and we must respect that. In football people come and go all the time and we just have to get on with it as best we can."
Despite the uncertainty surrounding the club at present Ertl remains positive he and his team mates can continue to exceed expectations.
"We are aware of what is going on, but as a group we are very focussed and are only concentrating on what is happening on the pitch," he said. "It is a tough situation but I still feel very confident that we can get into the play-offs at the end of the season. That is still the goal for me."

Would rather Hill move to centre back, with Hills coming in at left back.

Ertl does the simple stuff well in midfield & compliments Derry well

Palace Rebel
11-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Dear Palace People - this is not to wind you up, but is a sincere note of thanks for letting us have Jose Fonte!! I gather he has been a stalward in your team and by the reaction on this board he is well regarded! Hope the money comes in handy and keeps you afloat; being in administration is not fun for anyone (but seeing Pompey struggle is a right giggle!)

So cheers me deers, we could have done with him when your arch-rivals Albion beat us 1-3 before Chrimbo...

Cheers,
Saints Till I Die

a right giggle would be for you to jump off a tall building

thereichstuff
11-01-2010, 07:09 PM

Cheers,
Saints Till I Die Go fu ck y`all self !

palace are poo
11-01-2010, 08:33 PM
dear palace i really really hope you go down this season. its funny that you guys actually liked fonte but as soon as he left you think he is crap!

i hope neil danns goes to the saints as well cause mark my words southampton will be in the premier league before you and why wouldnt a player leave palace they are not getting paid and southampton will be in the championship soon any way

p.s i really really hope you go into administration it would make my day :)

Ashleyno1son
11-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Skysports.com understands Southampton are closing in on the signing of Coventry defender Elliott Ward.

Sky Blues boss Chris Coleman revealed last week Southampton had made an enquiry for Ward as they look to bolster their squad during this month's transfer window.

Ward is well down the pecking order at Coventry and with the player's contract due to expire in the summer, Coventry are ready to let him move on.

Saints boss Alan Pardew is a big admirer of Ward having worked with him during his time in charge of West Ham and he is keen to bring the 24-year-old to St Mary's.

Southampton are ready to offer Ward an 18-month deal to make the move to League One, as they look to add his signing to the signature of Jose Fonte.

laggin
12-01-2010, 04:47 AM

Cheers,
Saints Till I Die
better than kyle graham. but still a scummer ****

James
12-01-2010, 07:09 AM
dear palace i really really hope you go down this season. its funny that you guys actually liked fonte but as soon as he left you think he is crap!

i hope neil danns goes to the saints as well cause mark my words southampton will be in the premier league before you and why wouldnt a player leave palace they are not getting paid and southampton will be in the championship soon any way

This User's posting rights are now confined to the Away Fans End.

macstar
12-01-2010, 09:53 AM
You must be mellowing, Macstar.

You missed having a jibe at Tom, there.

Well done :)

i'll be back, dont u worry:D ;)

cpfc4evandeva
12-01-2010, 11:41 AM
and southampton will be in the championship soon any way

CPFC_DAVE77
12-01-2010, 12:37 PM

I wouldn't bet against them.

Simon D
12-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Charlton/Brighton/Millwall Fan? Either way, feck off to the Away Fans end you total and utter tosspot.

hypochondriac
12-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Dear God I am embarassed to be a saints fan right now with some of these responses. I'm very sorry.

laggin
13-01-2010, 12:56 AM
I wouldn't bet against them.
your a secret scummer arent you :o

laggin
13-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Dear God I am embarassed to be a saints fan right now with some of these responses. I'm very sorry.
and so you should be :p you seem alright shame a few of your pals bring to this board typical scummer arrogance

m_reid
20-01-2010, 07:07 PM
posted this in another thread but fonte is playing for saints tonight on sky sports 3 he just had a wonderful shot on the volly!

how i miss him

BulletEagle
20-01-2010, 07:25 PM
No disrespect to Saints, but watching him now he really has made a HUGE step down, he fits in, but it seems like a few weeks ago he was so close to promotion to the Prem in the we were near the play-offs, and now he is in a side who are mid table in the league below.

the kooch
20-01-2010, 09:13 PM
No disrespect to Saints, but watching him now he really has made a HUGE step down, he fits in, but it seems like a few weeks ago he was so close to promotion to the Prem in the we were near the play-offs, and now he is in a side who are mid table in the league below.

Was he? :D :D :D

9Freedman9
20-01-2010, 10:07 PM
It't not a case of stepping down, it's a case of Palace need the cash and the right offer came in.

spy
20-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Looking at the photo accompanying the match report on the bbc website it looks like he was captain :eek:

BulletEagle
20-01-2010, 10:24 PM
It't not a case of stepping down, it's a case of Palace need the cash and the right offer came in.

It is still a step down in terms of club position.

Woodside_CP
20-01-2010, 10:39 PM
It is still a step down in terms of club position.
if a championship club came in for him with a similar offer he would have ended up there-but none did. Seems like southampton paid a premium in terms of fee and wages to get him to drop down a league. Good luck to him, a good enough player but shouldn't be too hard to replace.

CPFC_DAVE77
20-01-2010, 11:32 PM
your a secret scummer arent you :o

Oi enough of that I just think they are decent side at League 1 level that's all!

laggin
21-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Oi enough of that I just think they are decent side at League 1 level that's all!
yeah they are but the arrogance is unbelievable!

CPFC_DAVE77
21-01-2010, 04:14 PM
yeah they are but the arrogance is unbelievable!

Yea on the main they are tossers! You renewing your Pompey season ticket? ;)

m_reid
21-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Looking at the photo accompanying the match report on the bbc website it looks like he was captain :eek:

That would be correct.

"Southampton dominated the first half and skipper Jose Fonte fired just wide"

laggin
21-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Yea on the main they are tossers! You renewing your Pompey season ticket? ;)
na not this time as they owe me money. I may take them to court :cool:

Nelson Muntz
26-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Didn't keep the wolf away for long.:(

Palaceman95
26-01-2010, 05:29 PM
looking like a good move for jose now....

aaronmax
25-02-2010, 12:42 PM
How we missed Jose last night!

Aaroncpfc
25-02-2010, 12:47 PM
One Southampton fan I was talking doesn't rate him as much better than they already have. He was surprised when I told him that Jose was once linked to Fulham and Portsmouth because he doesn't think he would be good enough for The Premiership.

Obviously it is early days, but I find it weird how a club in that position could fail to appreciate what a brilliant center back they have at their disposal.

The Gerry Queen
25-02-2010, 12:48 PM

Absolutely.He wouldn't have mistimed those tackles as Lawrence did. He was great at lst ditch well timed tackles. We would have made it to extra time no problem and maybe more :(

laggin
04-03-2010, 02:22 AM
One Southampton fan I was talking doesn't rate him as much better than they already have. He was surprised when I told him that Jose was once linked to Fulham and Portsmouth because he doesn't think he would be good enough for The Premiership.

Obviously it is early days, but I find it weird how a club in that position could fail to appreciate what a brilliant center back they have at their disposal.
you were talking to a scummer. Doesnt surprise me, arrogant ****s

Eddie'S Dad
04-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Absolutely.He wouldn't have mistimed those tackles as Lawrence did. He was great at lst ditch well timed tackles. We would have made it to extra time no problem and maybe more :(

Lawrence's 'tackles' were not really last ditch were they?
The guy was going nowhere on both occassions

Garfy
04-03-2010, 12:18 PM

Football's a game of opinions. The Saints supporter I spoke to this week said that he's the best defender in the league by a long way!

Absolution
04-03-2010, 12:45 PM
If it took Fonte a while to adjust to being a footballing centre half in the Championship, I'm sure that league has many more physical targetmen to contend with.

CPFC_DAVE77
04-03-2010, 02:15 PM
you were talking to a scummer. Doesnt surprise me, arrogant ****s

Are you Pompey in disguise? :hi: ;)

Walrus
04-03-2010, 03:37 PM

Would we have got to the Villa game without the 1.2million we got in return?

Just a thought.

King William
04-03-2010, 06:50 PM
feedback ive had from scummers is that apart from a few dodgy moments in away games he has been outstanding for them and a class apart the rest of the defence