PDA

View Full Version : Fonte Joins Southampton (undisclosed fee)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

cpfcfan1
05-01-2010, 11:54 AM
SOUTHAMPTON have joined the chase for Crystal Palace defender Jose Fonte.

The South London Press has received confirmation that the ambitious Saints are hoping to tempt the Portuguese stopper into dropping into League One.

Southampton are ready to pay around £1.5million for Fonte - but face competition from Sheffield United for his signature.

If the Blades do follow through with their interest in the 26-year-old, they are in pole position. The Yorkshire outfit are drawing up a list of potential replacements for if they sell Matthew Kilgallon.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=65&headline=Exclusive:

andy m
05-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Slightly embarrassing isn't it.

Psychokiller
05-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Dear Southampton

eat SHIT!

Kind regards

CPFC

cpfcfan1
05-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Hmm Lawrence back in the team, Fonte wanted

:(

thefox
05-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes to the above.

Thanks Jose. It's been a pleasure watching you play.

AlanD
05-01-2010, 11:57 AM
I remember reading somewhere recently that Jose said how happy he was at Palace and could see himself here for the next 10 years . . . .

KungFuCharlie
05-01-2010, 11:58 AM
I'd rather we sold Clyne. I think Fonte will be hard to replace with no money.

paf
05-01-2010, 11:59 AM
ties in with NW saying we had an offer in, I thought it might have been for Fonte.

stevek
05-01-2010, 12:00 PM
I think this demonstrates why administration now would be better than the elongated pain we seem to be heading for.

bradpitt
05-01-2010, 12:02 PM
I can't see Southampton being in the position to shell out 1.5m

Maz
05-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Slightly embarrassing isn't it. :(

GodstoneEagle
05-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Would be ******* gutted if he left. Gutted.

macstar
he could play as backup for a low positioned prem team in my opinion at least...

southampton get lost!!

eagle101

I can.

voyeur

Agreed. Aren't they in the mire because they were skint too?

Shipsisourking
05-01-2010, 12:10 PM
any other happy bits of news coming our way, the might of torquay wanting danns perhaps, or barrow preparing a bid of a chocolate orange for ambrose? Exciting times are ahead at selhurst park :(

Blind_Eagle
05-01-2010, 12:10 PM

I reckon they might just be able to rustle up a measley £1.5m. They are after all now owned by Markus Liebherr the Swiss billionaire businessman.

CPFC_DAVE77
05-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Saints will be the big spenders in League 1 this Jan IMHO; they will push big time for a play off spot. Unfortunately I see Fonte as the second most likely player to leave this window.

Adlerhorst
05-01-2010, 12:17 PM
any other happy bits of news coming our way, the might of torquay wanting danns perhaps, or barrow preparing a bid of a chocolate orange for ambrose? Exciting times are ahead at selhurst park :(I got two chocolate oranges for Christmas. I could outbid them, and loan him back to the club for free.

Though I would have to pay him in flying saucers (got a jar of them too)

Shipsisourking
05-01-2010, 12:19 PM
I got two chocolate oranges for Christmas. I could outbid them, and loan him back to the club for free.

Though I would have to pay him in flying saucers (got a jar of them too)

ive got two packs of flying saucers so i could go into the deal with you, just like dragons den :p

scro
05-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Sounds about the right price to me. He is a solid championship centre half not alot more. We would miss him badly but if needs must I guess you sell.

The Gerry Queen
05-01-2010, 12:20 PM
I hope not. I really like Jose Fonte and I think that he really likes being at Palace. How times change ? 6 months ago Saints were almost wound up and lost all their players. Now they've spent £1.5m on Ricky Lambert and want to spend another £1.5m on Jose. Hopefully we'll be doing the same next summer with a new owner :)

SpikeyMatt
05-01-2010, 12:22 PM
£1.5m?!

Crikey, that's a great offer.

kolinkins
05-01-2010, 12:23 PM
This would be why NW said Matty is back in contention

sydnsteve
05-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Oh dear. ML and CD as a CB pairing??????????????????? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllpppppppp pppppppppppppppppppppppp

CPFC_DAVE77
05-01-2010, 12:24 PM
The prospect of losing Fonte makes me wish I had the same confidence in Davies as everyone else does :(

Justy C
05-01-2010, 12:27 PM
£1.5m?!

Crikey, that's a great offer.

I agree. I like Jose and think he is a good player but £1.5 million is a very decent offer regardless of our current financial situation.

scro
05-01-2010, 12:28 PM
I am not sure anyone outside the premier league needs to sign many players over the million mark. If southampton cannot put together a team that would get them up into the championship without spending like this then they deserve to be in administration again.

I am trying to think of the last player we got in for more than 1.5 million that turned out to be worth it. Stinks of unimaginative short sighted management to me.

gold76
05-01-2010, 12:29 PM
^

What Justy C said, I like Jose, I think he's a very good centre back, but £1.5 million isn't a bad deal

Big Blue Eagle
05-01-2010, 12:30 PM
£1.5m for a player we paid a few hundred K for 18 months ago is a good deal.....if he can be replaced. With McCarthy out until March we have no cover at CB. However, if this plus Moses pays the debts and we can loan a new CB or get one as part of the Moses deal it wouldn't be the end of the world.

CPFC_DAVE77
I am trying to think of the last player we got in for more than 1.5 million that turned out to be worth it. Stinks of unimaginative short sighted management to me.

Morrison? :eek:

scro
I agree. I like Jose and think he is a good player but £1.5 million is a very decent offer regardless of our current financial situation.

It is more than he is worth.. we are in financial trouble. Sounds like a deal.

kestoneagle
05-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Dye Lawrence's hair black, teach him a few words of Portuguese and get him on a train to Hampshire.

scro
05-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Morrison? :eek:

Strikers tend to cost more. Not sure that would be seen as a great deal either to be honest. If you ignore the price we sold him for previously.

Clapham Grand
05-01-2010, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=Big Blue Eagle]£1.5m for a player we paid a few hundred K for 18 months ago is a good deal.....if he can be replaced. With McCarthy out until March we have no cover at CB. QUOTE]

Clint Hill?

nathe
05-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Aren't some of our young centre backs supposed to be very promising. This could be an opportunity for them to get their foot in the first team.

Big Blue Eagle
05-01-2010, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=Big Blue Eagle]£1.5m for a player we paid a few hundred K for 18 months ago is a good deal.....if he can be replaced. With McCarthy out until March we have no cover at CB. QUOTE]

Clint Hill?

Agree - forgot about him briefly!

Chris K
05-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Would Jose actually want to drop a division though? Surely the final decision is his isn't it?

palacemaniac
05-01-2010, 01:00 PM
1,5 million is very good business for a player we paid 600k for, would rather see him stay though

sheepy
05-01-2010, 01:02 PM

Clint Hill?

Butterfield.

Think he'd do very well at centre half where his lack of pace isn't so badly exposed. What he lacks in height he makes up for in organisational and tactical awareness.

dowieslovechild
05-01-2010, 01:19 PM

If nothing else its a good indicator of how quickly a club can bounce back when you taken into account the precarious position that they were in themselves only few months ago.

Simon D
05-01-2010, 01:25 PM
NO NO NO!!! FFS KEEP JOSE!!! I'D RATHER SEE THE BACK OF DAVIS THAN LOSE ONE OF THE DIVISIONS BEST DEFENDERS!!!

That opinion expressed, it does sound like a good piece of business if it serves to keep the wolf from the door (and the agents away from VicMo).

cockles
05-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Sounds a good deal if that figure is true, plus he'd be popular at Soton - so is a win-win.

Cleon
05-01-2010, 01:45 PM
We need the cash. Fonte is an excellent centre-back, but ultimately we need to be able to pay the bills. It's not a question of saying "I'd rather sell Lawrence or Davis", because we are not receiving any offers for those players.

I'd be shocked if we were able to turn down an offer like that.

stevek
05-01-2010, 01:51 PM
£1.5million seems an excellent offer to me. If (massive 'if' I realise) selling Fonte for £1.5million (together with Moses for a decent sum) could steady the financial ship and mean that we could keep the rest of the squad (especially Jules) then I'd bite their hands off.

PeterH
05-01-2010, 01:56 PM
£1.5million seems an excellent offer to me. If (massive 'if' I realise) selling Fonte for £1.5million (together with Moses for a decent sum) could steady the financial ship and mean that we could keep the rest of the squad (especially Jules) then I'd bite their hands off.

Ditto.

Needs must. I suspect we would have to insist on all cash up front.

hilairehair
05-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I can see it now, he'll score the winner for Southampton against Charlton in the play off final in May, David Gold will buy Palace instead and everything will have a happy ending.

Lambeth Palace
05-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Dye Lawrence's hair black, teach him a few words of Portuguese and get him on a train to Hampshire.

I reckon if we did that to Lawrence most of our supporters would end up thinking he was a better player than he was anyway...

David
05-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Forget the transfer fee involved. It won't be used to replace Fonte. Fact is we are losing one of our best players and best defenders.

Speroni - Fonte - Ambrose - Moses are our major players. If you lose the defender then I fear Speroni may be the busiest goalkeeper of all time.

Interesting how a player who is considered good enough for our 'team of the decade' isn't considered to be valued at £1.5m by some of you. It really defies logic.

StudentEagle
05-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Forget the transfer fee involved. It won't be used to replace Fonte. Fact is we are losing one of our best players and best defenders.

Speroni - Fonte - Ambrose - Moses are our major players. If you lose the defender then I fear Speroni may be the busiest goalkeeper of all time.

Interesting how a player who is considered good enough for our 'team of the decade' isn't considered to be valued at £1.5m by some of you. It really defies logic.

It defies logic that Fonte was in our team of the decade, yes.

He's good, but not team of the decade good. £1.5m is a very good offer and not easy to turn down at the moment.

David Amsalem
05-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Southampton are in a position to offer £1.5m and unfortunately, it's a bid that we're likely to accept. However, why would Fonte be prepared to drop down a division? He will have the final say. It's not like Warnock could force him out neither. Another team might force him to play with the reserves or something but with our squad, he'll be in the eleven every week so long as we're paying his wages.

I can see him leaving, but not to Southampton.

Oh south london
05-01-2010, 02:27 PM
He is a quality defender and in our position we would not be able to replace him. However 1.5 million is far more than I thought we would be offered for the lad.

grovesy
05-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Surely if we are going to sell then it should be done without dismantling the backbone of our team??

Jose is a good championship player and cruicially does not seem as injury prone as our other two first choice centre halves.....

AJ
05-01-2010, 02:48 PM
That's a fantastic deal for a defender, let alone one at championship level. Remember, Palace only paid 600k for McCartey. Given the current situation at the club, bite their hands off, tell them, if they buy him this week they get a 100k off. Love the player, but, one cannot stare gift horses in the mouth for too long.

Saying that, I think it's a load of bollox, put out my SJ to try and drum up sales.

AJ
05-01-2010, 02:49 PM
ties in with NW saying we had an offer in, I thought it might have been for Fonte.

Didn't he say it was for Moses and it was turned down?

917L
05-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Cant see it happeneing, but if it does so be it

We've lost better players than any we have currently before, the club has never disintegrated as a result

pallet
05-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Cant see him wanting to take a step down a league. However this might alert other teams:(

jordanismygod
05-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Surely if we are going to sell then it should be done without dismantling the backbone of our team??

Trouble is the backbone of the team will fetch more in the transfer market.

Shipp Ahoy!
05-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Cant see him wanting to take a step down a league. However this might alert other teams:(

I don't think any teams need alerting as to potential transfers regarding our players, I have little doubt any team that has a penny to spend this window and considers any of our players good enough will be testing the water.

orp pisshead1
05-01-2010, 04:06 PM

All about opinions but fonte is a good defender, while clynes potential is important to us in current financial position and will only improve.

Kirby
05-01-2010, 04:33 PM
I reckon if we did that to Lawrence most of our supporters would end up thinking he was a better player than he was anyway...

Yeah, ******* blondists!!

glaziers fan
05-01-2010, 04:41 PM
He'd be a loss but t wouldn't be a major disaster. If someone wants to offer £2m I'd say he's gone.

What about moving Ertl, who NW says is a centre-back, alongside Davis? N'Diaye or Comley could come into midfield.

I can't see any deals happening for a couple of weeks yet.

Jason
05-01-2010, 04:48 PM
If we get £1.5m for Fonte in our current position, that will have to be seen as a MAJOR result. While he's a very good centre half at this level, McCarthy and Davis are a perfectly capable pairing. We also have a variety of backup options, albeit most of them fairly uninspiring.

If the finances were better, we should be telling Soton where to poke it given our League position. However, they're not, and the reality is that if we got a decent fee for Moses, this deal would leave us neeing only one more big sale to pay off both Agilo and HMRC. This enables us to to have a realistic prospect of trading out of the debt, something that seemed unthinkable only a few days ago.

As such, if there really is £1.5m on the table, this can only be seen as a very good thing!

jhc
05-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Have to agree with everyone else on here - if he left it would be a near disaster.
He's been the backbone of our defence this season and the best central defender we've had for quite some time.

Jimbo ?
05-01-2010, 05:02 PM
If we get £1.5m for Fonte in our current position, that will have to be seen as a MAJOR result. While he's a very good centre half at this level, McCarthy and Davis are a perfectly capable pairing. We also have a variety of backup options, albeit most of them fairly uninspiring.

If the finances were better, we should be telling Soton where to poke it given our League position. However, they're not, and the reality is that if we got a decent fee for Moses, this deal would leave us neeing only one more big sale to pay off both Agilo and HMRC. This enables us to to have a realistic prospect of trading out of the debt, something that seemed unthinkable only a few days ago.

As such, if there really is £1.5m on the table, this can only be seen as a very good thing!

I agree with you, however I would imagine there will be other debts that need to pay so we can pay off agilo and HMRC but i suspect there are other debts to be considered after that. £5M in debt for a club is nothing these days so there will be far more debts to pay. anyone know?

1.5M seems like good business to me - its just depressing that a team that can compete at the upper end of the championship will be taken to pieces. SJ has done a lot for the club, and i wouldnt dispute that for a second. i am one of his supporters, but he is in danger of breaking up the club and undooing the good work he has done. maybe mismanagement, maybe enonomic crisis, maybe no other option but to balance the books... etc etc i dont know, but in the future people may well look back at this and remember how a good palace squad fell apart.

AJ
05-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Have to agree with everyone else on here - if he left it would be a near disaster.
He's been the backbone of our defence this season and the best central defender we've had for quite some time.

Which is why he is valuable. Davis and Hill are old donkeys(or nearly that), who probably earn more then Fonte, hence why no decent bids have been or will be received for them.

bhcp
05-01-2010, 05:12 PM
I heard this over xmas, but the fee saints are looking at is much lower.

AJ
05-01-2010, 05:14 PM

I wouldn't. Clyne will play in the Premiership, maybe even for England. Fonte will always be a good Championship player. Today, Fonte is way better then Clyne, but, for Palace to succeed in the future, the club needs to keep those players whose value and quality of play will be on the increase.

laggin
05-01-2010, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't. Clyne will play in the Premiership, maybe even for England. Fonte will always be a good Championship player. Today, Fonte is way better then Clyne, but, for Palace to succeed in the future, the club needs to keep those players whose value and quality of play will be on the increase.
sorry didnt mean to quote you lol

laggin
05-01-2010, 05:34 PM
scummers can get ****ed :veryangry:

SeaEagle
05-01-2010, 05:41 PM
It defies logic that Fonte was in our team of the decade, yes.

The BBC ran the Big Read in 2003, where the nation voted on its favourite 100 books. All 4 (that had been written at the time) of the Harry Potter books came in the top 25... is that because they are 4 of 25 best novels ever written?

Opinion polls are always indicative of their audience... and the BBS isn't always as subjective as you'd like!

Bearing that in mind, it may or may not be logical that Fonté was in the team of the decade, but it's not entirely surprising.

For what it's worth, I think that £1.5m is an excellent bid for an above average Championship defender. I'd be very surprised if we don't accept a bid of that order.

9Freedman9
05-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Would take £2,000,000.

David
05-01-2010, 06:30 PM
"around £1.5m"

Sir.S.C Remembered
05-01-2010, 06:45 PM

If Paddy and Claude were both fit then Fonte would be my 3rd choice CB. So to get £1.5m (the Swiss owner must have money!) for a 3rd choice CB with Ertl and Hill (with Hills moving to LB) in reserve and bring a youngster through, I could live with that. If we want any chance of a promotion push we should hold onto him though if we won't have any funds to replace him. I'd also get Butterfield off the wage bill despite his recent improvement, if we want to save costs and I'd like to see us keep Clyne and again have Ertl as back up here too. Looks like Carle will go somewhere, so although I like him that is wages saved too. The squad will be thin, but it was thinner last time in the Coppell era against a stronger league. Much thinner! We need to look to the young players.

917L
05-01-2010, 07:13 PM

Of course it wouldnt, he's a centre half for gods sake. Yes a decent one agreeed, but I dont recall any club disintegrating because they lost a centre half. And we've lost far better than Fonte in the past

sw16girl
05-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Of course it wouldnt, he's a centre half for gods sake. Yes a decent one agreeed, but I dont recall any club disintegrating because they lost a centre half. And we've lost far better than Fonte in the past

While I agree it wouldn't be a disaster remember what happened to our promotion push when McCarthey got his serious shoulder injury last year?

Jason
05-01-2010, 07:26 PM
I agree with you, however I would imagine there will be other debts that need to pay so we can pay off agilo and HMRC but i suspect there are other debts to be considered after that. £5M in debt for a club is nothing these days so there will be far more debts to pay. anyone know?

There are indeed other debts to pay, and going through other threads, it would appear that paying of Agilo and HMRC would still leave in the region of £10-£12m of debt to pay off (excluding what is owed to SJ personaly). However, IF £1.5m is accurate, then that combined with a decent fee for Moses and one other big sale would raise the £6m or so required to deal with Agilo plus HMRC.

This is crucial for two reasons. Firstly, it gives SJ more time to sort something out. Secondly, if SJ is prepared to walk away for nothing to put a stop on its losses, it means that the club can be bought deb free for c£20m INCLUDING buying SP. Previously, this was a scenario that only appeared to be available via administratio, with all that went with it.

By a "scorched earth" policy in January, in which all or most of the valuable SENIOR players were sold (but sales of the other "prize" youngsters was avoided), it might even be possible to get the cost of a "clean sheet" takeover down to about £15m. With a 13 point gap to the drop zone, even a significantly thinned squad should be able to amass enough points to avoid relegation, and it should then be possible to rebuild a competitive (albeit not promotion chasing ) squad in the summer using Bosmans and the highly promising group of youngsters who are likely to be the salvation of our club

Skid Row
05-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Craig Moore is looking for a club in Europe in the lead up to the World Cup.

st albans
05-01-2010, 07:59 PM
I certainly won't miss some of the ridiculous free kicks he gives away around the box. He's ok, but quite error prone. Anything over £500,000 is a good deal. We have cover for him. The future of our club is more important than an average centre back

917L
05-01-2010, 08:01 PM
The future of our club is more important than any player or players

EFA :)

Santos-er
05-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Blimey. Seems the scum was on to something.

Santos-er
05-01-2010, 08:18 PM
To quantify that statement:

Odd source, but talking to a scum fan today who knows several of their players says Fonte is the player Warnock was referring to. Why Brighton players would have any info on a Palace player being transferred I don't know - it just seemed a strange one to come out with.

Typical Palace
05-01-2010, 08:38 PM
I'd absolutely snap their hands off at that price.

jhc
05-01-2010, 08:38 PM

True we have, but at a time when we've had plenty of cover.
While I respect your views on Fonte, I have to disagree. I think he would be a big loss. Time will tell of course, but let's hope we don't have to find out the hard way.

917L
05-01-2010, 08:49 PM
True we have, but at a time when we've had plenty of cover.
While I respect your views on Fonte, I have to disagree. I think he would be a big loss. Time will tell of course, but let's hope we don't have to find out the hard way.

I dont disagree he would be a loss, but we've lost (far) better players in lots of positions before and will do so in the future

But the club will go on irrespective of who stays and goes on the playing staff. To be honest they are the very least of our concerns (all IMO of course)

Sussex Eagle
05-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Seems tough to replace without a miraculous recovery by Paddy to my eyes, but who knows, Lawrence/Hill/Butterfield at Centre Back might outdo our expectations for a few months with an injection of administration spirit.

jams1234
05-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Everton have disintegrated since Joleon Lescott left them.

philsick
05-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Would be a big big loss.

kolinkins
05-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Everton have disintegrated since Joleon Lescott left them.

No - they lost 6 goals with him in the team

glaziers fan
05-01-2010, 11:38 PM
he's a defender. There are plenty of journeymen centre-backs who do a similar job in this division. It's only when u get to the higher division that someone like Fonte's class would tell. The reason is that the attackers are simply not as good in the CCC so you can get away with it.

History tells you that it is by having decent attackers that you get out of this division and therefore it's more important that we hold onto our one flair player, VicMo. Replacing Fonte won't be difficult. He's not that much better than even Paddy at this level.

Jason
06-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Would be a big big loss.

Without a doubt. But (like all of our players in the greater scheme) an insignificant one compared with the loss of the club itself

TheCharmer
06-01-2010, 06:31 AM
isnt he a 'core player'?

sydnsteve
06-01-2010, 08:30 AM
No - they lost 6 goals with him in the team

tch, tch. They lost 6 goals when he was trying to leave the team, as you very well know.

andy m
06-01-2010, 09:14 AM
I doubt its anywhere near £1.5m, but if it is then fair play to Southampton, who's very recent history will have told them that they could have bid peanuts and got away with it. As for whether we can cope with the loss of Fonte then the simple answer is yes, we can, but I think people need to be realistic and understand that our form in the first half of the season has given us a fighting chance of avoiding relegation, not a fighting chance of winning promotion.

zonin2000
06-01-2010, 09:26 AM
he's a defender. There are plenty of journeymen centre-backs who do a similar job in this division. It's only when u get to the higher division that someone like Fonte's class would tell. The reason is that the attackers are simply not as good in the CCC so you can get away with it.

History tells you that it is by having decent attackers that you get out of this division and therefore it's more important that we hold onto our one flair player, VicMo. Replacing Fonte won't be difficult. He's not that much better than even Paddy at this level.
You're funny :)

StudentEagle
06-01-2010, 09:27 AM
The BBC ran the Big Read in 2003, where the nation voted on its favourite 100 books. All 4 (that had been written at the time) of the Harry Potter books came in the top 25... is that because they are 4 of 25 best novels ever written?

Opinion polls are always indicative of their audience... and the BBS isn't always as subjective as you'd like!

Bearing that in mind, it may or may not be logical that Fonté was in the team of the decade, but it's not entirely surprising.

For what it's worth, I think that £1.5m is an excellent bid for an above average Championship defender. I'd be very surprised if we don't accept a bid of that order.

Oh I agree, I can certainly see why Fonte was in there. I was just disagreeing with the point that because Fonte is contemporary, and therefore in the "BBS team of the decade", we mustn't let him go. As others have said, he'd be a loss, a significant loss, but IF there is £1.5m on the table we can get some of the cash we desperately need and others can step up.

This is all academic if Fonte doesn't want to step down a division of course.

Eddie'S Dad
06-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Of course Jose is replaceable, any player is. £1.5m (if it ends up being that) is a great price for a defender at this level. But given that it will go straight into the pockets of our creditors, none of it will be spent on a replacement. So replacing him for nothing is a different mater altogether.

I feel that the high fee is justified. He's far more than you'd expect to get from a centre back at this level. What he adds to the team is a calm head, a bit of class and an outlet to play the ball out from the back to our midfielders.

What I see with Hill, Lawrence and Davis is the long ball almost every time, which bypasses Danns, Ambrose etc. and straight to the front line. A formula we have played with little success in recent times.

We can survive this season in the CCCh without Fonte. But it won't be pretty. Batten down the hatches !

Yes, McCarthy is almost as good, but he's spent 50% of his time with us injured. And I don't suppose that ratio will improve for the rest of his career now. His shoulder problem is obviously a major one.

stevek
06-01-2010, 09:33 AM
McCarthy is a far, far better defender than Fonte (but, unfortunately, as you say, injured far too often).

johnnytemper
06-01-2010, 09:40 AM
I don't know why people are getting worked up, I can't see Fonte wanting to sign for Southampton, who no matter what investment they make are likely to be playing League 1 football again next season. If Sheff Utd are bidding, then we'd be looking at a deal, though at less than £1.5m (which is less than he's worth, to us anyway).

Eddie'S Dad
06-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Craig Moore is looking for a club in Europe in the lead up to the World Cup.

Sign him up ... just make sure he's happy not to be paid.

FraserH
06-01-2010, 10:16 AM
why wouldn't fonte want to sign for the soton? They are on the up, the club is turning around its financial woes, they are starting to work there way up the league and I wouldn't be surprised if they made it up this season. or fonte could stay here, a cash strapped club which is being forced to sell its best young assets to keep a alot for the next 6 months with no realistic chance of being purchased by new investors and who could be battling relegation (if we go into admin) come the end of this season?

I would love him to stay but if we get 1.5mill he will be off and good luck to him.

Simon D
06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Whilst I would agree with the people who are saying we could cover the position with the squad we have, we definitely don't have a replacement centre back in the same class as Fonte.

David looks good but too casual sometimes, McCarthy has been good but a more skilled defender than Jose? Certainly not! And we also have Hill or Butterfield who could play that position if we get stuck.

Do us a favour though Jose, turn down the option of a move so you can stay down South and see us successfully through our promotion push! :P

stevek
06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Whilst I would agree with the people who are saying we could cover the position with the squad we have, we definitely don't have a replacement centre back in the same class as Fonte.

David looks good but too casual sometimes, McCarthy has been good but a more skilled defender than Jose? Certainly not! And we also have Hill or Butterfield who could play that position if we get stuck.

Do us a favour though Jose, turn down the option of a move so you can stay down South and see us successfully through our promotion push! :P

Of our current three main centre backs, Jose is the classiest footballer but the worst defender.

GodstoneEagle
06-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Of our current three main centre backs, Jose is the classiest footballer but the worst defender.I don't completely agree but I also tend to think he would be a great defensive midfielder

cpfc4evandeva
06-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I think the guy is very overated.

The fact he is only being linked iwht League 1 clubs talks volumes to me.

I will point out that I think he is pretty decent but imvho, he is at best an average Championship defender.

kolinkins
06-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Of our current three main centre backs, Jose is the classiest footballer but the worst defender.

Not sure how you work that out - he is a better marker than the other two.

He's the least good at last ditch blocks and tackles, mainly because he doesnt have to do them as much

If he goes, and if Paddy and Davis remain fit, then we won't really miss Jose.

But, I would say of the three, he is the only one who has it in him to make the step up to the Premier League. He may not make it, but is most suited of the three to having a chance of making it

GodstoneEagle
06-01-2010, 05:26 PM
The more I think about this, the more I disagree, did you watch him have AJ in his pocket or his performance at Stoke the other year. Best performance I've seen from a palace CB

philsick
06-01-2010, 05:28 PM

He's the least good at last ditch blocks and tackles, mainly because he doesnt have to do them as much

But, I would say of the three, he is the only one who has it in him to make the step up to the Premier League. He may not make it, but is most suited of the three to having a chance of making it

Agree with this,apart from the not missing him bit.

Hampshire Hog
06-01-2010, 05:33 PM
I think that I may actually love fonte and think he would be a terrible loss to Palace, possibly even more than Victor Moses who really probaaly should move on anyway some time soon.

Also Saints got 30,000 at St Marys for their Boxing Day match. Theyve got a good modern stadium, ownership is sorted. They are deffo on the up, and even happier that Pompey are going back to their rightful position

Hampshire Hog
06-01-2010, 05:34 PM

Spot On. He could stay with us all the way

KevMason98
06-01-2010, 06:06 PM

Last season I would have agreed with you Steve, but this year he has improved in the air and has got stronger physically.

Aside from the Scunthorpe game and against Adebola for Forest I have not seen himmuscled off the ball because of lack of body strength which is a must for Central defenders in our league.

I think he is vastly improved defensively this season. He is running a close second behind Derry for POTY for me.

Ruskin Old Boy
06-01-2010, 06:45 PM
why wouldn't fonte want to sign for the soton? They are on the up, the club is turning around its financial woes, they are starting to work there way up the league and I wouldn't be surprised if they made it up this season. or fonte could stay here, a cash strapped club which is being forced to sell its best young assets to keep a alot for the next 6 months with no realistic chance of being purchased by new investors and who could be battling relegation (if we go into admin) come the end of this season?

I would love him to stay but if we get 1.5mill he will be off and good luck to him.

Sounds about right to me.

If they're in for him he won't have any choice ...

pauldrulez
06-01-2010, 07:49 PM
I'll drive him to Southampton for £1.5m.

917L
06-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Sounds about right to me.

If they're in for him he won't have any choice ...

If he says no, he doesnt have to go, he and his agent have plenty of choice in the matter

TheCharmer
07-01-2010, 05:46 AM
I'll drive him to Southampton for £1.5m.

silly boy.....

kezza
07-01-2010, 07:05 AM
I lIke your enthusIam, what wIth payIng off or debts, but lets not offerIng dIscounts lol

kezza
07-01-2010, 07:11 AM
That's a fantastic deal for a defender, let alone one at championship level. Remember, Palace only paid 600k for McCartey. Given the current situation at the club, bite their hands off, tell them, if they buy him this week they get a 100k off. Love the player, but, one cannot stare gift horses in the mouth for too long.

Saying that, I think it's a load of bollox, put out my SJ to try and drum up sales.
I lIke your enthusIam, what wIth payIng off or debts, but lets not offerIng dIscounts lol

Brummie Allan
07-01-2010, 08:58 AM
............. they are starting to work there way up the league and I wouldn't be surprised if they made it up this season.......... oLeeds, Norwich auto and Southampton beat Charlton in the play offs:):clown::)

stevek
07-01-2010, 09:12 AM

He makes more mistakes that the other two, though I do tend to agree with you that he would have the most chance of making the step up to the Premiership.

andy m
07-01-2010, 10:15 AM
He's the least good at last ditch blocks and tackles...

The thing about last ditch tackles, and for that matter incredible diving saves, is that if you have to make them then its because you ****ed up in the first place.

philsick
07-01-2010, 10:18 AM
The thing about last ditch tackles, and for that matter incredible diving saves, is that if you have to make them then its because you ****ed up in the first place.

Or one of your teamates has.

Big Blue Eagle
07-01-2010, 01:22 PM
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=447&headline=Exclusive%3A

Report that Fonte's wages will scupper any move to Saints, and that they were after Danns as well but neither player wants to drop a division.

So the paper that "exclusively" reported Fonte for the Saints a couple of days ago now reports "exclusively" that he won't be going there. They create a story then kill it themselves - with no-one else picking it up.........journo's are great aren't they!

scro
07-01-2010, 01:55 PM

Sounds good but not really true.

imashed
07-01-2010, 02:31 PM
all we need now is venables to replace warnock and the club goes backwards 10 years in the same condition sj bought it.

CPFC_DAVE77
07-01-2010, 03:13 PM
all we need now is venables to replace warnock and the club goes backwards 10 years in the same condition sj bought it.

At least we had Dougie, Clinton and Aki :(

pauldrulez
07-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Because we lose Fonte?

Don't be ridiculous.

Probably the most overrated player on this team.

cpfc4evandeva
07-01-2010, 03:19 PM
At least we had Dougie, Clinton and Aki :(

We didn't have Dougie or Aki when SJ first took over :p

kolinkins
07-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Because we lose Fonte?

Don't be ridiculous.

Probably the most overrated player on this team.

It's seems to becoming increasingly fashionable to call Fonte over-rated. He isnt. He's a very good player - one of our 4 best.

James
07-01-2010, 03:29 PM
It's seems to becoming increasingly fashionable to call Fonte over-rated. He isnt. He's a very good player - one of our 4 best.... but not perhaps for much longer.

Big Blue Eagle
07-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Fonte to Saints = 3 months wages

Ruskin Old Boy
07-01-2010, 03:43 PM
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=447&headline=Exclusive%3A

Report that Fonte's wages will scupper any move to Saints, and that they were after Danns as well but neither player wants to drop a division.

So the paper that "exclusively" reported Fonte for the Saints a couple of days ago now reports "exclusively" that he won't be going there. They create a story then kill it themselves - with no-one else picking it up.........journo's are great aren't they!

Their exclusive report was correct, this time yesterday he was on his way out (enough cash to pay salaries for a few months - and why Warnock was bigging-up Lawrence earlier this week). It could still happen but looks like likely.

CPFC_DAVE77
07-01-2010, 03:44 PM
We didn't have Dougie or Aki when SJ first took over :p

Jesus your right, the excuse of a long day might just get me off the hook :)

James
07-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Crikey - that doesn't look good.

I thought it was a done deal. Oh, blimey.

BulletEagle
07-01-2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.clubcall.com/southampton/defender-snubs-saints-offer-1003022.html?

Ruskin Old Boy
07-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Their exclusive report was correct, this time yesterday he was on his way out (enough cash to pay salaries for a few months - and why Warnock was bigging-up Lawrence earlier this week). It could still happen but looks like likely.

Sorry, that should have read "looks less likely"

917L
07-01-2010, 04:25 PM
So he's decided against it.....

gold76
07-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Have Sheff Utd lost Killgallon yet?

Only they were rumoured to be keen & I'd imagine could match Jose's wages

Dobbo
07-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Have Sheff Utd lost Killgallon yet?

Only they were rumoured to be keen & I'd imagine could match Jose's wages
Kilgallon has decided to see out his contract there, which is bad news financially for them, but means they don't need to sign a replacement now. They are also trying to loan Kyle McNaughton (Sp ??) back from Spuds.

pardew's shorts
07-01-2010, 04:42 PM

Brixton_Palace
07-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Some unwarranted Jose bashing here. He's our best defender by a distance. He reads the game well, man-marks diligently, and has super technical attributes.

With a bit of work, he could become a very good ball-playing Premier League centre half.

/\/\/\/\/\
THIS

David
07-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Interesting how many on here turned on Jose at the mere mention of him departing. McCarthy and Davis are not in the same 'league' as Jose.

Gark Moldberg
07-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Crikey - that doesn't look good.

I thought it was a done deal. Oh, blimey.

Purely my own speculation (and I'm prepared to be corrected), but I wonder whether we will sell any of our players while they have not been paid. If they could hand in two weeks notice on the 14th, they could be out of the club for free before the window closes. With that in mind, why would any club stup up hard cash to the club if they can negotiate with free agents at the end of next week. I was really hoping that the players would get paid today and tied down until the window closes.

That would be pretty low, scummish really, but who wouldn't try to get something for nothing.

Palace Kebab
07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Interesting that Jose is prepared to turn down a club that will pay him every month to stay at one that is reportedly on the verge of financial ruin. Does this indicate he is fairly confident the financial situation is manageable and he will be paid each month?

Zohar Returns
07-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Some unwarranted Jose bashing here. He's our best defender by a distance. He reads the game well, man-marks diligently, and has super technical attributes.

With a bit of work, he could become a very good ball-playing Premier League centre half.

100% agree with this

cpfcben
07-01-2010, 05:18 PM
It's seems to becoming increasingly fashionable to call Fonte over-rated. He isnt. He's a very good player - one of our 4 best.
Spot on as always.

Has the potential to be a premiership centre half. An offer from 3rd tier club is quite frankly insulting to his ability.

Big Blue Eagle
07-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Interesting how many on here turned on Jose at the mere mention of him departing. McCarthy and Davis are not in the same 'league' as Jose.

I'm not surre many turned on him - just realised that £1.5m in used fivers is a pretty good deal for a CCC level centre half in a very depressed and cash strapped market when we paid £500k for McCarthy.

AJ
07-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Interesting that Jose is prepared to turn down a club that will pay him every month to stay at one that is reportedly on the verge of financial ruin. Does this indicate he is fairly confident the financial situation is manageable and he will be paid each month?

What concerns me is that Fonte may well be one of Palace's higher earners. Nothing against him, but, I just imagined him on sensible money.:(

AJ
07-01-2010, 05:32 PM

That is correct, but I was amazed that given CPFC could have/still could go in Administration that quite a few seemed critical of any intent to sell him.
We cannot have it both ways. We are either in the sh!t and need to sell or we are flush with money and do not need to sell.

Brixton_Palace
07-01-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm not surre many turned on him - just realised that £1.5m in used fivers is a pretty good deal for a CCC level centre half in a very depressed and cash strapped market when we paid £500k for McCarthy.

Mc Carthy is not half the player that Jose is.

stevek
07-01-2010, 06:05 PM

I, for one, have been completely consistent with what I've said for ages about Jose. A very good defender and very important to the team, but probably our most overrated player and forgiven my many on here for many mistakes for which other players would be crucified.

stevek
07-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Mc Carthy is not half the player that Jose is.

McCarthy is a better defender than Jose.

David
07-01-2010, 06:13 PM

McCarthy is no way near Jose's quality.

One main area where the two are majorly different is decision making. Fonte's is usually spot on whereas McCarthy is a little poor at making quick decisions. McCarthy's form at the start of the season was horrendous. I remember his game at Peterborough away being particularly dreadful.

Fonte's distribution is far better and he looks comfortable on the ball where McCarthy often gives possession away because he looks umcomfortable with the ball on the ground.

I'm amazed someone cannot see that Fonte is so much better defensively than McCarthy.

David
07-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I, for one, have been completely consistent with what I've said for ages about Jose. A very good defender and very important to the team, but probably our most overrated player and forgiven my many on here for many mistakes for which other players would be crucified.

Often our results and blushes are hidden by the superb Julian Speroni who time and time again saves our team from conceding goal after goal.

Chris K
07-01-2010, 06:25 PM
As I said page 2,

Would Jose actually want to drop a division though? Surely the final decision is his isn't it?

Good lad Jose

hilairehair
07-01-2010, 06:50 PM

You've got to be joking. Although it's true to say that Fonte has had a dip in form the last couple of matches, and was awful against Ipswich. He and Clyne are our only ball playing defenders. I can't see the play offs being possible without him (alhough I'd love to be wrong).

GDP
07-01-2010, 07:01 PM

Not for me, Jose is a far better defender than Paddy.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
07-01-2010, 09:03 PM
What concerns me is that Fonte may well be one of Palace's higher earners. Nothing against him, but, I just imagined him on sensible money.:(

Peter Taylor era signing probably explains that. Excellent footballer, but prone to lapses in concentration, which probably compels people to say others defend better. If he were to go, I think the aesthetics of the team would suffer, but our defensive stats would be in good hands with Hill, Davis and Paddy.

Still sad to see good players who don't want to leave being pimped out though :(

GodstoneEagle
07-01-2010, 09:20 PM
spot on. Not over-rated, just excellent.

ForzaPalace
07-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Fonte is our best defender. Fact.

CPFC_DAVE77
07-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Personally I like Jose, I think he's a very good CCC centre back, and could make it in the Prem to a degree. However unless a miracle happens this window IS a selling window and he is one that we can afford to let go for the right fee; i'd let him go for 1.5+.

AJ
07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Peter Taylor era signing probably explains that. :(

He was signed by Warnock. Taylor brought him in on loan.

eagles #1
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Personally I like Jose, I think he's a very good CCC centre back, and could make it in the Prem to a degree. However unless a miracle happens this window IS a selling window and he is one that we can afford to let go for the right fee; i'd let him go for 1.5+.
How can we afford to let him go for God sake? We have Matt Lawrence as back up..

gold76
07-01-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm interested to know where people put Jose on the all comers list?

For me he'd be behind (in no particular order)

Young, Thorn, Coleman, Shaw, Cannon, Gilbert & Moore, from the last 25 years or so.

I'd be sad to see him go, but not heartbroken

CPFC_DAVE77
07-01-2010, 10:15 PM
How can we afford to let him go for God sake? We have Matt Lawrence as back up..

WE HAVE NO MONEY.

gold76
07-01-2010, 10:16 PM
I kinda understand stevek's point too. McCarthy is probably a better muck & bullets old fashioned style defender, however Fonte is a better ball player

Ruskin Old Boy
07-01-2010, 10:19 PM
I kinda understand stevek's point too. McCarthy is probably a better muck & bullets old fashioned style defender, however Fonte is a better ball player

Exactly; they complement one another (just as Fonte and Hill do) extremely well.

eagles #1
07-01-2010, 10:28 PM
WE HAVE NO MONEY.
We'll have even less in League 1.

CPFC_DAVE77
07-01-2010, 10:30 PM
We wont go down by losing Jose.

Lords Eagle
07-01-2010, 10:34 PM
We wont go down by losing Jose.

Or up?

CPFC_DAVE77
07-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Or up?

Losing him will reduce our chances of promotion.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
07-01-2010, 10:39 PM
He was signed by Warnock. Taylor brought him in on loan.

Yes, but presumably wouldn't have taken a pay cut to sign permanently.

JnrReadingEagle
07-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Put some fake tan on Lawrence, dye his hair black, put some hair extensions in. Ship him down too Southampton :)

Shipp Ahoy!
08-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Talk about being torn, part of me thinks the £1.5million is simply needed too much but part of me can't help but hope that we keep the backbone of the team in the hope of keeping some hope after Jan.

This is certainly going to be a long month though :(

glaziers fan
08-01-2010, 07:08 AM

I don't doubt any of this, but he's not much more effective in the CCC than claude or paddy, despite being miles more talented. Therefore £1.5m would have been a decent deal in our present financial situation.

cpfcfan1
08-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Cash-strapped Crystal Palace are set to receive a £1.2million injection from ambitious Southampton.

Jose Fonte, Palace's 26-year-old centre-back, is set to undergo a medical on Friday at St Mary's after the clubs agreed a fee.

Saints' climb up League One, after overcoming a ten point deduction for going into administration, has sparked ambitions of making the promotion play-offs.

Manager Alan Pardew hoped to strengthen his squad with a couple of signings in the January window. Fonte, who joined Palace from Benfica 18 months ago, is set to become their first recruit.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Southampton-agree-1-2m-deal-for-Crystal-Palace-star-article280563.html

cpfcben
08-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Terrible news. The first of many I imagine.

Syph1979
08-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Southampton are closer to relegation than they are the play-offs, in terms of points. Anyone signed this year will be playing League One football next season, would Jose want that?

dannyturner
08-01-2010, 08:04 AM
A ball player yes, but not the end of the world. Not as if we've been watertight at the back. Let's pocket the reddies and move on!

Nelson Muntz
08-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Oh shit.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Southampton-agree-1-2m-deal-for-Crystal-Palace-star-article280563.html

Jordan's Jacket
08-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Bit of an insult to Jose. He is too good for the Saints really. Just hope he is getting paid a bundle.

James
08-01-2010, 10:05 AM
I am still not clear whether this report post-dates the news that Southampton and Fonte had been unable to agree personal terms. Perhaps the apparent reduction in price from £1.5 million to £1.2 million has helped to sweeten the deal.

Nofishtoday
08-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Put some fake tan on Lawrence, dye his hair black, put some hair extensions in. Ship him down too Southampton :)

lol - i'll drive him too. And we don't want any cash either.

Voldo
08-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I am sad....

Jose Fonte Baby
Jose Fonte oooohhhhh

prizesucker
08-01-2010, 10:44 AM
i know needs must but I'll miss Jose :(

Bellyman
08-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Mirror love to make up some bullshit!!!

GDP
08-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I'll be gutted to see him go but in our situation we can't turn down £1.2m.

Sad times.

917L
08-01-2010, 11:01 AM

Certainly this time last year that was true. Fonte had been in and out of the side but when McCarthy got injured the side suffered far more than it did in Fontes absense.

Edited for stupidity

Dave
08-01-2010, 11:04 AM
McCarthy never regained the pre injury form, imvho

Anyways, Fonte is still here, for now

Sir.S.C Remembered
08-01-2010, 11:20 AM

People only say this because he is Portuguese and there is this image that Spanish, Portuguese etc players have ball playing ability and flair. He doesn't have significant passing ability, range or 'vision', he is not a 'cultured' player whatever the hell this means.

He will be missed as he is decent and you need a squad when you are going for promotion. But in our circumstances I think it is a great deal to get such a fee for a player who I would not start when all players are fit. Paddy and Davis, as injury prone as both are in recent years, are far superior players in my opinion.

As for Lawrence comments, we can play Ertl at CB or Hill (with Hills coming in at LB) before we have to consider such horrors!

Jim Cannons Moustache
08-01-2010, 11:26 AM
£1.2m, much needed and we'll cope without him in the long term. The short term thought of Lawrence and Davis as CB's does send shudders down the spine somewhat.
Hopefully mean Hill to CB and a chance for Hills.
More likely to mean Hill to CB and solid replacement in Butterfield coming in at LB.

Big Blue Eagle
08-01-2010, 11:34 AM
This report seems to take us back to square one........

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/sport/eagleeye/4841007.Fonte_turns_down_Southampton_move/?

AndoverEagle
08-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Am being told he has gone..........

Sandowneagle
08-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Or up?

Our first priority is to survive, not go up. The latter will help the first in the short term but the chasing the dream and not achieving it is a major cause of the shite we are in.

As for the Fonte deal, sounds good money to me all things considered.

Twin of Droy
08-01-2010, 12:08 PM
A strange move for Fonte if it goes through.
Those bottom two divisions are completely different for a centre half to play.
The bigger and uglier centre forwards that he will meet down there means he will get tested in a battle of strength every week.
Just ask Sol Campbell

TheCharmer
08-01-2010, 12:09 PM
shame if true, but always had a suspicion that NW has never been 100% convinced by Jose.

CPFC_DAVE77
08-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Am being told he has gone..........

By whom?

stevek
08-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Maybe Pardew will give us a better centre back in return like last time.

spt1978
08-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Best to sell now than when in Admin. Good luck Jose, a class player.

Psychokiller
08-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Shame, one of my favourite players but needs must I guess.

Perhaps Abnett, who has impressed me in the reserves, is ready to make the step up then we can move Clyne to LB and Hill into the middle alongside Davis?

Adlerhorst
08-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Our first priority is to survive, not go up. The latter will help the first in the short term but the chasing the dream and not achieving it is a major cause of the shite we are in.

As for the Fonte deal, sounds good money to me all things considered.Wot he said.

I am both sad as I really liked Fonte, but if it means the players get paid then that's good.

However basically I am angry, this could have been avoided a couple of months ago.

kolinkins
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Wot he said.

I am both sad as I really liked Fonte, but if it means the players get paid then that's good.

However basically I am angry, this could have been avoided a couple of months ago.

Wot he said

Barbara4003
08-01-2010, 12:48 PM
I feel sorry for him :(

He didn't want to go :(

CPFC_DAVE77
08-01-2010, 12:50 PM
I feel sorry for him :(

He didn't want to go :(

He hasn't yet. And Barbara a player cannot be made to go. He has final say at the end of the day. I'm not having a dig at him in many ways if I take the fact I would give anything to play for Palace out the equation I think i'd have gone too. IF he signs a three year deal he has to decide where is each club likely to be in 3 years time. It may not work out this way, but currently the futur looks a lot brighter for them than it does us.

Barbara4003
08-01-2010, 12:53 PM
He hasn't yet. And Barbara a player cannot be made to go. He has final say at the end of the day. I'm not having a dig at him in many ways if I take the fact I would give anything to play for Palace out the equation I think i'd have gone too. IF he signs a three year deal he has to decide where is each club like;y to be in 3 years time. It may not work out this way, but currently the futur looks a lot brighter for them than it does us.

I do understand all that, but I still feel sorry for him (if he has gone).

Although, it depends on why he chose to go (if he has gone).

I suppose if he went (if he has gone) because he was worried about how things will go at Palace, then I don't feel quite so sorry for him (if he has gone).

But if he went (if he has gone) because he knows it's in Palace's best interests rather than his own, then I feel really sorry for him.

Psychokiller
08-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I suppose if we get taken over we can buy him back at the end of the season when Southampton fail to get promoted.

Godstone Eagle
08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
He hasn't yet. And Barbara a player cannot be made to go. He has final say at the end of the day. I'm not having a dig at him in many ways if I take the fact I would give anything to play for Palace out the equation I think i'd have gone too. IF he signs a three year deal he has to decide where is each club like;y to be in 3 years time. It may not work out this way, but currently the futur looks a lot brighter for them than it does us.

I dont know, does he want to step down and play League 1 football. Soton are 10 points off the play offs and have played 2 games more..more than likely if he moved he would be League 1 football next season as well. I know we have to sell but im suprised if he has agreed to move there. No way should he be playing at that level

Adlerhorst
08-01-2010, 12:54 PM

I suppose if he went (if he has gone) because he was worried about how things will go at Palace, then I don't feel quite so sorry for him (if he has gone).

But if he went (if he has gone) because he knows it's in Palace's best interests rather than his own, then I feel really sorry for him.I suspect his leaving was in Simon Jordan's best interests, not Palace's.

CPFC_DAVE77
08-01-2010, 12:57 PM

But if he went (if he has gone) because he knows it's in Palace's best interests rather than his own, then I feel really sorry for him.

Well Said Barbara I agree 100% :)

Stellavista
08-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Like Adlerhorst, I am both sad and angry.
Jordan should f*ck off right now if he just plans to dismantle the team to save his own pampered skin.
I don't give a flying f*ck if it ruins him - it's a small price to pay to avoid seeing the club destroyed.
Put the club into admin NOW, and let's get someone in who has a clue, a coherent strategy for taking us forward, and a bit of respect for the fans.

palacemaniac
08-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Fonte, Palace legend who sacrificed himself to save the club he loves

Barbara4003
08-01-2010, 01:00 PM

Like Tom :sob:

Stellavista
08-01-2010, 01:01 PM

A decent player, not yet a legend. And if you think that his departure will in anyway contribute to 'saving' the club, I want some of what you're smoking.....:o

Barbara4003
I suspect his leaving was in Simon Jordan's best interests, not Palace's.

At the moment, I see them one as the same.

LeeH
Gutted - he was one of my favourite players at the moment, just for the fact that he is probably the only central defender who has a bit of skill on top of the no nonsense stuff.

Southampton have got a real bargain IMO.

dannyboy1807
08-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Hold on have you all missed the article on the page before

Adlerhorst
08-01-2010, 01:02 PM
At the moment, I see them one as the same.I am not sure they have been for quite some time.

ashingtoneagle
08-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Here it is again:

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/sport/eagleeye/4841007.Fonte_turns_down_Southampton_move/

red and blue stripes
08-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Jordan should f*ck off right now if he just plans to dismantle the team to save his own pampered skin.
I don't give a flying f*ck if it ruins him - it's a small price to pay to avoid seeing the club destroyed.
Put the club into admin NOW, and let's get someone in who has a clue, a coherent strategy for taking us forward, and a bit of respect for the fans.

You read some rubbish on this site, but this is really taking the biscuit.

Clueless post!,

Adlerhorst
Here it is again:

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/sport/eagleeye/4841007.Fonte_turns_down_Southampton_move/see post 192 on the thread. Posted after that report

Barbara4003
I am not sure they have been for quite some time.

In my world they are.

Adlerhorst
08-01-2010, 01:08 PM
In my world they are.That assumes SJ is the only person who can run the club

If that's true we might as well all pack up and go home now

Stellavista
08-01-2010, 01:09 PM
You read some rubbish on this site, but this is really taking the biscuit.

Clueless post!,

Thanks for that, Simon.
In order that I may know the error of my ways, please do explain where I am going wrong with that particular post....Oh, and mine's a Bourbon...

SEEPEEEFFSEE
08-01-2010, 01:10 PM
I don't understand why everyone is so sad as nothing has yet been confirmed, other than to say that Fonte has turned S'oton down....
The story suggesting he has had a medical with them today comes from 2 national papers whilst the contrasting story is coming from a local paper.
I know which I would believe until the story is confirmed.

johnnytemper
08-01-2010, 01:13 PM
The fact that the players still haven't been paid, even though it was due to happen yesterday, does suggest that Fonte's staying - our bank presumably reversing a decision to front the cash once they found out that the transfer deal Jordan had set up was NOT actually going ahead?

red and blue stripes
08-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks for that, Simon.
In order that I may know the error of my ways, please do explain where I am going wrong with that particular post....Oh, and mine's a Bourbon...

If you imagine administartion is the easy options, and will leave us in a better position then stick to flipping burgers or whatever it is you do.

sydnsteve
08-01-2010, 01:24 PM
So what is the alternative to administration exactly?

Barbara4003
08-01-2010, 01:30 PM
That assumes SJ is the only person who can run the club

If that's true we might as well all pack up and go home now

Only at this moment in my world.

Whatever sacrifices are being made, they are being made for CPFC, which at the moment includes Simon Jordan.

Stellavista
08-01-2010, 01:31 PM
If you imagine administartion is the easy options, and will leave us in a better position then stick to flipping burgers or whatever it is you do.

Oh, dear. Of course I think admin is the easy option....
The alternative to the pain of admin does not bear thinking about.
You really want to get up to speed on the reality of the utter sh*t that our club is in. We could possibly avoid admin for a number of months by selling the entire first team squad, but seeing as the money we would receive for any outgoing transfers will have to be used to service the considerable debt, what funds do you propose the club runs on?

gold76
08-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Soton were taken over by a rich sort at the start of the season (Swiss?)

In terms of a wages impasse, would they offer a bigger signing on fee or bonus linked to promotion perhaps?

I don't want to push Jose out of the door mind!

red and blue stripes
08-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Oh, dear. Of course I think admin is the easy option....
The alternative to the pain of admin does not bear thinking about.
You really want to get up to speed on the reality of the utter sh*t that our club is in. We could possibly avoid admin for a number of months by selling the entire first team squad, but seeing as the money we would receive for any outgoing transfers will have to be used to service the considerable debt, what funds do you propose the club runs on?

Luckily we will both be spared those decisions, but we can pretend that we do if it helps, anyway back to those burgers

Clapham Grand
08-01-2010, 01:45 PM
gutted if true

GodstoneEagle
08-01-2010, 01:49 PM
same. :(

James
08-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Leave it Steve. He's not worth it, and you've had enough.

I am taking you home.

Psychokiller
08-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Oh look the nazis are going to close the thread

Stellavista
08-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Leave it Steve. He's not worth it, and you've had enough.

I am taking you home.

Thanks, Dad! :D

sw16girl
08-01-2010, 01:56 PM
In my world they are.

In your world Maz looks good in leather.

Swiss Tony
Hi, Saints fan here.

Not sure what to make of this Fonte fella... sources say he is at Southampton having a medical today, some say he is not, some say he will sign today, some say he won't.

I can't see wages being an issue for Fonte as our new owner seems to be quite keen to get the cheque book open this season, when Liebherr came in to Southampton he was going to be a 'silent owner' but has since turned up to every game so is looking like he is going to be more hand-on ala Abramovich.

There are sources that say his is a done deal and one of his 'friends' in the Championship is set to sign as well... his friend being one of the 'stars' of the Championship and one that was tipped to move to the PL... anyone have any ideas who he is?

The Neil Danns rumour is still there as well and we could well be offering for both of them.

Anyway, not good to see you lot in trouble... the grass is greener on the other side, I promise you!

Barbara4003
In your world Maz looks good in leather.

He most certainly does ;)

Stellavista
08-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Luckily we will both be spared those decisions, but we can pretend that we do if it helps, anyway back to those burgers

Oh, I see, not having to make the decisions means that we're not entitled to a view on the current circumstances?
So what's a Palace fans forum for, then?

CPFC_DAVE77
08-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Oh, I see, not having to make the decisions means that we're not entitled to a view on the current circumstances?

Dunno, ask some of the 'fans' in general chit chat ;)

917L
08-01-2010, 02:05 PM
see post 192 on the thread. Posted after that report

Thats hardly confirmation is it

red and blue stripes
08-01-2010, 02:06 PM

A view of what exactly?, "If I was the chairman I'd do this", well it's quite easy really get yourself a few million quid and buy the club, then we can "have a view" how you are running it.
If fact as a question why aren't you a multi millionaire and own the club in the first place then we wouldn't be having all these problems

AndoverEagle
08-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Thats hardly confirmation is it
I cant say who told me, as they asked me not to. I dont really post on here, but my pal is 100% sure hes gone. Says he didnt want to go, but the club basically needed him to go. Sad news!

GodstoneEagle
08-01-2010, 02:16 PM
your input is appreciated AE

Stellavista
08-01-2010, 02:17 PM
A view of what exactly?, "If I was the chairman I'd do this", well it's quite easy really get yourself a few million quid and buy the club, then we can "have a view" how you are running it.
If fact as a question why aren't you a multi millionaire and own the club in the first place then we wouldn't be having all these problems

Our opinions can only be based on what is publically available, and the conflicting 'insider' knowledge we receive.
It's quite clear, even taking the most optimistic view, that the club is in very serious financial trouble. As a supporter of the club, I take an interest in that.
Even if you only have a season ticket, you have a vested interest in the well-being of the club. Can't see anything too controversial about that.
I don't have any financial interest in British Gas or EDF, but I still have opinions about their services.....

Barbara4003
08-01-2010, 02:17 PM
I cant say who told me, as they asked me not to. I dont really post on here, but my pal is 100% sure hes gone. Says he didnt want to go, but the club basically needed him to go. Sad news!

:sob:

Eddie'S Dad
08-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi, Saints fan here.

Not sure what to make of this Fonte fella... sources say he is at Southampton having a medical today, some say he is not, some say he will sign today, some say he won't.

I can't see wages being an issue for Fonte as our new owner seems to be quite keen to get the cheque book open this season, when Liebherr came in to Southampton he was going to be a 'silent owner' but has since turned up to every game so is looking like he is going to be more hand-on ala Abramovich.

There are sources that say his is a done deal and one of his 'friends' in the Championship is set to sign as well... his friend being one of the 'stars' of the Championship and one that was tipped to move to the PL... anyone have any ideas who he is?

The Neil Danns rumour is still there as well and we could well be offering for both of them.

Anyway, not good to see you lot in trouble... the grass is greener on the other side, I promise you!

Thanks fella

Matt_Hep
08-01-2010, 02:45 PM

well ******* said.

CPFC_DAVE77
08-01-2010, 02:45 PM

Barbara4003
08-01-2010, 02:48 PM

Concise and to the point :)