PDA

View Full Version : Fans consortium to protect players?

plectrum
17-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Here is an idea, may be stupid but here goes.

The biggest asset of a football club generally are their players, especially the youth players. As football lcubs are now more and more run in debt ti is becomign mroe essential to sell players but this comes with the downside of losing the effective talent and with it chances of success on the field.

If we look at the Moses situation. The optimum bid would be 3.5m. At Palace we probably get around 15000 supporters at a home game.

3.5m/15000 is 233 per person avg.

Victor Moses is 19 yrs old and widely thought of as a great prospect.

What are we looking at here for an investment?

What is the chances that over a 6 mth, 12 mth 36 mth 60 mth period his value will decrease? I.e. what is the risk on this investment?

We all save or try to save with the bank, in ISA, bonds, shares etc etc etc.

Is buying Moses a better investment? Also it would allow CPFC to keep players in the future in times of difficulty.

Also in the future is this a marketable strategy that can be extended past CPFC to other clubs.
If in need a club would sell their player to the consortium who in turn would agree a set period of time where they allow their 'investment' to remain at the club to continue his development. This relationship would suit both parties and the consortium could give the club the first refusal when the 'loan' period ends and the player is then put up for sale to realise the investment.

In Moses case if he continues at his current rate of performance then by age 21 he could well be worth ~ 7million potentially more if his development rate increases. I also see there to be minimal chance bar career ending injury (which can be insured against) of his value falling far below 3.5m.

So for an investment potential of ~ 100% over 2 years it does seem better than you'd get with the bank!

Anyway ... I may well be crackers! :) :) :) but I see this as a far better opportunity than a consortium to buy debt ridden CPFC in a debt ridden world of football.

Adlerhorst
17-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Um, I don't think third parties are allowed to be able to own players any more.

cockles
17-01-2010, 04:24 PM
I think quite a few posters have muted something similar, but yes, it would be 3rd party ownership, and a no no. Not to mention problems with his agent, and dare I say, maybe even Victor himself.
Besides, how many would go for this .... 500? That would mean 7k average - I doubt many have that liquid these days.

In principle you are right however, I view it a better investment (in theory) than most out there.

It's gutting to watch him improve week by week and know he'll soon be gone and think what could have been when contemplating the many 'what ifs'.

cpfc4evandeva
17-01-2010, 04:34 PM
We need SJ to go to the Dragons Den :D

whereEaglesFly
17-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Who owned tevez?

Adlerhorst
17-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Who owned tevez?Not West Ham or Manchester United.

Scroatey
18-01-2010, 10:21 AM
And like any investment your return is not guaranteed. How do you choose which of the players to "invest in"? Surely you would want to get in there earlier, not once his value starts going over 1million. Had you put your money into Ashley-Paul Robinson you would not have done very well :D

kestoneagle
18-01-2010, 12:36 PM
And like any investment your return is not guaranteed. How do you choose which of the players to "invest in"? Surely you would want to get in there earlier, not once his value starts going over 1million. Had you put your money into Ashley-Paul Robinson you would not have done very well :D

I'd have hedged my investment with shares in Greggs!

Random*
18-01-2010, 01:51 PM
The biggest asset of a football club generally are their players, especially the youth players. As football lcubs are now more and more run in debt ti is becomign mroe essential to sell players but this comes with the downside of losing the effective talent and with it chances of success on the field.

The biggest asset of most clubs is their ground.

That's because player values are entirely speculative, and they cannot be counted as being worth anything until they are actually sold.

tasty_snacks
18-01-2010, 04:30 PM
it's an interesting idea plectrum. a better asset to fix would however be long-term season tickets.

racehorse-80s
18-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Good idea and count me in if it gets of the ground but i think 3500 paying a grand each is more achievable .
Count me in if it gets of the ground as i can see my grand being worth 4000 in 18 months time.

Loads of money:o

Away
18-01-2010, 04:59 PM
I think quite a few posters have muted something similar, but yes, it would be 3rd party ownership, and a no no.

If they muted it, I didn't hear anything.
... I'll get me coat.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
18-01-2010, 05:37 PM
We need SJ to go to the Dragons Den :D

Theo normally sits 3rd from the left, if Simon is wondering where to affix the toilet seat.

Born to be Sad
18-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Third parties can no longer own players so they say? but we have mortgaged all our players, so who owns them, I have a feeling we could own them but not register them (as with the West Ham Saga)

Born to be Sad
18-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Here is an idea, may be stupid but here goes.

If we look at the Moses situation. The optimum bid would be 3.5m. At Palace we probably get around 15000 supporters at a home game.

3.5m/15000 is 233 per person avg.

Victor Moses is 19 yrs old and widely thought of as a great prospect.

What are we looking at here for an investment?

What is the chances that over a 6 mth, 12 mth 36 mth 60 mth period his value will decrease? I.e. what is the risk on this investment?

We all save or try to save with the bank, in ISA, bonds, shares etc etc etc.

Is buying Moses a better investment? Also it would allow CPFC to keep players in the future in times of difficulty.

Also in the future is this a marketable strategy that can be extended past CPFC to other clubs.
If in need a club would sell their player to the consortium who in turn would agree a set period of time where they allow their 'investment' to remain at the club to continue his development. This relationship would suit both parties and the consortium could give the club the first refusal when the 'loan' period ends and the player is then put up for sale to realise the investment.

In Moses case if he continues at his current rate of performance then by age 21 he could well be worth ~ 7million potentially more if his development rate increases. I also see there to be minimal chance bar career ending injury (which can be insured against) of his value falling far below 3.5m.

So for an investment potential of ~ 100% over 2 years it does seem better than you'd get with the bank!

Anyway ... I may well be crackers! :) :) :) but I see this as a far better opportunity than a consortium to buy debt ridden CPFC in a debt ridden world of football.
If The fans were to club together and buy anything it ought to be the ground, it will never de-value (well maybe short term now and again)and it would mean CPFC would last forever

thefox
19-01-2010, 05:22 AM
If we own a player (although not possible) and he doesn't have a club do we have to pay his wages and if he gets an injury or even a career ending one ?