PDA

View Full Version : Dundee Enquire About Speroni

DundeeFan
29-03-2010, 07:15 PM
I can exclusively reveal that Dundee may make a move for their former keeper Julian Speroni should they be promoted. Dundee are the big spenders in Scotland at the moment with only Celtic having spent more who are a division above them.

Of course, if Dundee fail to get promoted then this is a non-story. However, they have been in touch with Palace and are wanting to negotiate a price which we could only realistically afford if we were in the SPL. To suggest that Speroni himself wouldn't be interested is off the mark as IF Dundee manage to get promoted then they shall be challenging for Europe due to their new found wealth. However, as I said could be a total non-story.

Sussex Eagle
29-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Um, thanks? Always good to hear stories that are completely depressing in all ways. When Julian goes, it should be to compete for the jersey at a big club in a top league.

DundeeFan
29-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Um, thanks? Always good to hear stories that are completely depressing in all ways. When Julian goes, it should be to compete for the jersey at a big club in a top league.

Fair enough, I just thought I'd break the news.

It will most likely be a non-story as Dundee's bottle seems to have crashed in their promotion push as we were at one point 13 points clear in the league but are now 1 point behind our nearest challengers and have not won in 5.

Jimmy Eagle
29-03-2010, 07:35 PM
I can exclusively reveal that Dundee may make a move for their former keeper Julian Speroni should they be promoted. Dundee are the big spenders in Scotland at the moment with only Celtic having spent more who are a division above them.

Of course, if Dundee fail to get promoted then this is a non-story. However, they have been in touch with Palace and are wanting to negotiate a price which we could only realistically afford if we were in the SPL. To suggest that Speroni himself wouldn't be interested is off the mark as IF Dundee manage to get promoted then they shall be challenging for Europe due to their new found wealth. However, as I said could be a total non-story.

If he moves to Dundee, this will show a complete lack of ambition on his part. Dundee are a small club about to be promoted to a mickey mouse league. If he was to move to the SPL it should be with Celtic or Rangers.

DundeeFan
29-03-2010, 07:39 PM
If he moves to Dundee, this will show a complete lack of ambition on his part. Dundee are a small club about to be promoted to a mickey mouse league. If he was to move to the SPL it should be with Celtic or Rangers.

I shall agree that the SPL is a poor league but as for Dundee being a small team, I have to disagree with you. Our city may be small but it has attracted some of the finest players around with massive players been linked to us at one point or another. The past 5 or 6 years have been dreadful for us as we went into administration, something Palace also know the pains of.

However, I do agree that Speroni could move onto a better club than us.

BlazeRIP
29-03-2010, 08:28 PM
He ain't going nowhere , he's to settled at his farm in Oxted.

ANDYEAGLE
29-03-2010, 08:35 PM
I shall agree that the SPL is a poor league but as for Dundee being a small team, I have to disagree with you. Our city may be small but it has attracted some of the finest players around with massive players been linked to us at one point or another. The past 5 or 6 years have been dreadful for us as we went into administration, something Palace also know the pains of.

However, I do agree that Speroni could move onto a better club than us.

If we get relegated Speroni will almost certainly go to QPR a much smaller club than you:D He has been great for us,but there has been no sign of interest from the premier for him. To be honest if he goes I don't care where he goes as long as we get the right fee.
Hope you make it up this season:p

jams1234
29-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Don't worry, Speroni will not be going to Dundee unless the club tells him to.

Gazza2
29-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Speroni has ambitions to play for his country. He's not going to do that by dropping down into Non-League football. I cannot see him wanting to get to the ground early every week in order to help put the goal posts up and clear the pitch of dog droppings.

Santos-er
29-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I am reliably informed there are no Crocodiles in Dundee.

Nelson Muntz
29-03-2010, 08:45 PM
I saw Dundee play once. Against Millwall in a pre-season friendly in about 1972. Millwall won 5-0.

David Amsalem
29-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks for sharing mate :p

Nelson Muntz
29-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks for sharing mate :p
No worries.

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
29-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Didn't he come to Palace from Dundee?

DundeeFan
29-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Yes, he didn't want to leave but our finances forced many of our players out of the club. Quite ironic.

Godstone Eagle
29-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Yes he did

El Aguila
29-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Proud to be an Arab.

TonbridgeEagle
29-03-2010, 09:01 PM
I saw Speroni play for Dundee against Aberdeen about 6mths before he joined us. He was the stand out player for you guys that day. All of my Dons supporting mates said he'd be great at Palace if they went in for him.
Really can't see why he'd go back to be honest.

moverman
29-03-2010, 09:11 PM
I saw Dundee play once. Against Millwall in a pre-season friendly in about 1972. Millwall won 5-0.

I saw Dundee play as recently as the first game of this current season, away at Raith.

They looked a good side but have slipped a bit of late.

They are not a small club by any means, probably in the top 10 in Scotland for support. They had about 3,000 fans at Raith, not bad for early August/holiday season etc.

As for Speroni, he could get into any scottish side and probably 90% of english sides, good luck to him when he goes.

Shipp Ahoy!
29-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Dundee won't get anywhere near the Champs league next season even when plenty of money.

There is only one spot in Scotland next year and even with a shed load of cash they won't get near it competiting with Rangers and Celtic.

DundeeFan
29-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Dundee won't get anywhere near the Champs league next season even when plenty of money.

There is only one spot in Scotland next year and even with a shed load of cash they won't get near it competiting with Rangers and Celtic.

The UEFA Cup is still a big tournament that will get him more recognition than he is currently getting in the Championship. I believe that if we miraculously did manage to get into contract talks with him that the promise of a higher wage and the possibility to come back to the club that saved his career as a stepping stone in a major competition would give him something to think about. Whether he'd accept or not is a totally different matter.

elgin eagle
29-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Yes, he didn't want to leave but our finances forced many of our players out of the club. Quite ironic.

I used to watch Dundee quite a bit with my mate Jimmy when i was posted to lossiemouth. Is the 'Tak Awa' still there? The only Chinese restaurant with a dundee accent :)

Speroni's reputation always seems to have suffered since the Kevin Campbell incident. We all know how consistently good he has become, and Jimmy always raved about him when he was with the 'dee. If he had to go anywhere, at least he'd be going somewhere where he'd be appreciated.

BulletEagle
29-03-2010, 09:35 PM
The UEFA Cup is still a big tournament that will get him more recognition than he is currently getting in the Championship. I believe that if we miraculously did manage to get into contract talks with him that the promise of a higher wage and the possibility to come back to the club that saved his career as a stepping stone in a major competition would give him something to think about. Whether he'd accept or not is a totally different matter.

I really don't think it will be a higher wage that gets him to leave.

Brett
29-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Proud to be an Arab.

'87 UEFA Cup run?

David Narey wonder goal in Camp Nou, isn't it?

Young Trolley
29-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I shall agree that the SPL is a poor league but as for Dundee being a small team, I have to disagree with you.

you're not even the biggest club in Dundee are you? :confused:

El Aguila
29-03-2010, 10:37 PM
'87 UEFA Cup run?

David Narey wonder goal in Camp Nou, isn't it?
Aye mon. Paul Sturrock, Eamonn Bannon, Jim MacLean. A braw wee team.

Jim Cannon
30-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Our city may be small but it has attracted some of the finest players around with massive players been linked to us at one point or another.
I don't mean to be dismissive, but finest players around where exactly? Scottish football wasn't awash with fine talent last time I heard:D
Sorry in advance:hi:

rainbow_child
30-03-2010, 07:10 PM
10 mil & he's yours

Dal
30-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Dundee might be splashing the cash, but they can't afford Speroni.

jimos_uk
30-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I've kinda had a bit of a soft spot since Ivano Bonnetti was there, picked up Patrizio Billio and then the whole thing went a bit wrong.

Wish them the best, but for all their ambition, Jules is a class above the Scottish leagues. If he does leave us, God, I hope he goes to Italy or somewhere where they pay ******* attention to quality.

Strathclyde Eagle
30-03-2010, 09:47 PM
I think they did up there.

And to be fair playing Rangers four times a year gave him lots of opportunites to practice saving penalties, which has come in very handy for us. :p

GodstoneEagle
30-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Cheers for the info DF

MasterYoda
31-03-2010, 07:58 AM
He's twice the player Neil Alexander is and he's the keeper of the best teem up there.

the digger
31-03-2010, 08:15 AM
He snorts the white,
he's f**king dynamite,
Caniggia, Caniggia

thefox
31-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Let's face it if Dundee put in a reasonable offer Brenda will accept it and he will probably go, but yes QPR will most likely be the first club to do so.

I doubt a English premiership club will take a chance on him after his first go at it and although he is a great shot stopper and our saviour in many games he doesn't catch as many as premiership keepers (need to). Well last time I saw him play anyway.

If he unfortunately does go I will wish him the best of luck, but all that is unecessary as we will be under new ownership next year. Pray, pray, pray.

DundeeFan
31-03-2010, 08:48 AM
He's twice the player Neil Alexander is and he's the keeper of the best teem up there.

He is Rangers second choice goalkeeper. Allan McGregor is first choice.

As for the guy who asked which 'talent' Dundee have had at the club, well in recent years we have had:

Canniggia
Ravanelli
Zurab
Fan Zhyi
Kevin McDonald

That's just 5 and for a 'small' team that is some going. I'm not trying to say we will get Speroni in a million years and I do have quite a soft spot for Palace, all I'm saying is that we had enquired about his availability. I did not intend to be insulting to say the least.

The Stig
31-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Hopefully we get a buyer and he goes nowhere.

MasterYoda
02-04-2010, 08:31 AM
He is Rangers second choice goalkeeper. Allan McGregor is first choice. Yes somehow I forgot McGregor - just seems Alexander's been in goal every time I've seen highlights recently.

I'll crawl back under a rock - and learn to spell team while I'm there (shamed)

Walrus
02-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Everyone has their price.

However, with the CPFC2010 consortium trying to close a deal before the end of the season (and the fire sale that would occur then without a deal), Dundee would need to find a fat fee.

No disrespect to you, DundeeFan, but I think Jules might be happy to stay down South where his family are settled and I'm sure a certain ex-Palace manager would try and match any bid you might come in with.

pauldrulez
02-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Let's face it if Dundee put in a reasonable offer Brenda will accept it and he will probably go, but yes QPR will most likely be the first club to do so.

I doubt a English premiership club will take a chance on him after his first go at it and although he is a great shot stopper and our saviour in many games he doesn't catch as many as premiership keepers (need to). Well last time I saw him play anyway.

If he unfortunately does go I will wish him the best of luck, but all that is unecessary as we will be under new ownership next year. Pray, pray, pray.
Brenda wont have anything to do with it though.

Kirby
02-04-2010, 11:20 AM
I heard we're re-signing Ashley Cole.

ebyeeckeagle
03-04-2010, 05:04 PM
I heard we're re-signing Ashley Cole.

Yeah. but only till his briken leg heals

Ayr Eagle
05-04-2010, 04:04 PM
No chance ha ha ha ha!! they are having a laugh, I live in Scotland and Dundee couldn't afford to buy Speroni's gloves!!

We are staying up, say we are staying up!!!

lankyeagle
07-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Dundee might be splashing the cash, but they can't afford Speroni.
hes only a millon oh wait they cant afford him.

lankyeagle
07-04-2010, 07:56 AM

As for the guy who asked which 'talent' Dundee have had at the club, well in recent years we have had:

Canniggia
Ravanelli
Zurab
Fan Zhyi
Kevin McDonald

That's just 5 and for a 'small' team that is some going. I'm not trying to say we will get Speroni in a million years and I do have quite a soft spot for Palace, all I'm saying is that we had enquired about his availability. I did not intend to be insulting to say the least.
ive only heard of mcdonald.

lankyeagle
07-04-2010, 07:59 AM
at the moment if we beat qpr on saturdaythen were staying up and when we pay the debt of speronis staying.he loves top man in bromley anyway.

stevek
07-04-2010, 10:53 AM

Canniggia
Ravanelli
Zurab
Fan Zhyi
Kevin McDonald

All at the end of their careers, though.

Selhurst Eagle
07-04-2010, 11:10 AM
ive only heard of mcdonald.
You're forgotten Fan Zhiyi?!?

Vince Hilaire's Afro
07-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Canniggia
Ravanelli
Zurab
Fan Zhyi
Kevin McDonald

I don't think anyone has felt insulted. It's the Premiership fancy dans that we can't stand on here. And Brighton. And Charlton and Millwall. And Bristol City, and now QPR I guess. And sometimes people from the West Midlands, except Villa.

But supporters of non-league clubs such as yourself are always welcome.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
07-04-2010, 12:44 PM
You're forgotten Fan Zhiyi?!?

Not at all. Just the other day, I turned all my furniture around 90 degrees, lit some josticks and put the toilet seat down.

Jimmy Eagle
07-04-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't think anyone has felt insulted. It's the Premiership fancy dans that we can't stand on here. And Brighton. And Charlton and Millwall. And Bristol City, and now QPR I guess. And sometimes people from the West Midlands, except Villa.

But supporters of non-league clubs such as yourself are always welcome.

:D

Beanie
07-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Canniggia
Ravanelli
Zurab
Fan Zhyi
Kevin McDonald

Those names, at the stage they were of their career is a bit like us trying to claim it was an big deal for us to get Thomas Brolin - great player once, but not by the time he was at Palace.

SilverChevy
07-04-2010, 03:47 PM
I like Dundee great cake.

DundeeFan
08-04-2010, 08:28 AM
All at the end of their careers, though.

Kevin McDonald wasn't.
Canniggia went to the World Cup with Argentina after leaving us.
Zurab went onto play for Rangers before mhis career went a bit flat down here.

Anyways, I thought I'd update you all that Dundee & Palace have had discussions with one another about the price of Speroni but unfortunately this looks to be fruitless as it appears even with our cash we are destined for another season in the First Division. If I hear anymore then I shall post so.

Hope Palace stay up. Good luck.

Jimbo ?
08-04-2010, 03:18 PM
dundee aint going up - so it wont happen. as a st johnstone fan, we have taken great enjoyment in watching dundee throw away the league