PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Derry to Barnsley

TykeTalkBFC
26-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Rumour doing the rounds here again that Barnsley are looking at Shaun Derry (http://www.tyketalkbfc.com/transfers-rumours/325-shaun-derry-barnsley.html#post1104) just wondered if you guys had heard anything and how he's performed this season?

Personally ive never rated him when ive seen him play.

Thanks in advance.

Carl

Chrissayy
26-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Past it.
*takes cover*

saul1664
26-04-2010, 05:17 PM
I'd say he was our Talisman for the last few seasons, able to break up play, strong tackler, a bit of a destroyer type, started in the same vein this season, but has deterioirated badly latter half, makes mistakes, generally falls over a lot, can't pass the ball, complete inability to shoot anywhere remotely near the goal.

Duffle Coat
26-04-2010, 05:22 PM
He is going through a bad patch judging by the QPR match only. However, I suspect he won't be found wanting tonight!

Excowboy
26-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Would it be a free? I think his contract's up at the end of the year.

Very wiley aggressive defensive midfielder. Good at breaking up attacks and protecting the back four unless he's just given the ball away and they're already 30 feet away from him, which is happening more frequently.

Not a star by any means but a useful squad player for most championship teams.

Oh south london
26-04-2010, 05:25 PM
I think his legs are gone now. He should have been dropped a while back from our starting line up. Still hope that he puts in two more cracking performances if he is off.

cpfcben
26-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Main player for three quarters of the season. I think part of the problem has been change in management. He works best in a midfield three rather than 4-4-2.

David Amsalem
26-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Started the season in very good form but has been useless since Christmas.

I hope he has a great game tonight.

cdm61
26-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Legs and brain gone to play in a midfield 2 - probably 1 more season in a three if sitting in front of back four....if that makes sense?

gold76
26-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Thought he played well tonight & hopefully will again Sunday.

Could be an asset for Barnsley

maestro
26-04-2010, 10:13 PM
His legs are gone, to be honest id want to move him on anyway.

Abjekt
26-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Wouldn't be disappointed if he left really. He did well for a time, helped us when we needed that guile, but he's been toss for a fair while now.

ANDYEAGLE
26-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Rumour doing the rounds here again that Barnsley are looking at Shaun Derry (http://www.tyketalkbfc.com/transfers-rumours/325-shaun-derry-barnsley.html#post1104) just wondered if you guys had heard anything and how he's performed this season?

Thanks in advance.

Carl

I started a thread on Derry to Barnsley after our home game in December.
At that game one of your directors told me Derry was a done deal for next season. On that basis there is probably truth in the rumour,but I am surprised it has taken u lot so long to catch up with it.
Derry has been a good player for us,but has been out of form these last few months. At his age he wants longer than a one year deal which I think is the most he will be offered here. Thats if we are here to offer him anything.

AJ's right boot
27-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Not great ability but gives 100%, i'll be a bit gutted if he goes.

rhynoeagle
27-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Got a good touch, thats about it. He tries hard but hasn't performed more than 5 times all season.

kettle
27-04-2010, 06:56 AM
breaks up play well and is a good squad player to have. will never play amazingly well but will regularly give you performances that are 6/7 out of 10. Will add some steel to the midfield. Would be sad to see him go.

TopKnot
27-04-2010, 05:59 PM

Thanks in advance.

Carl

Some say he is better than Steven Gerrard. He is certainly more faithful than John Terry.

Brett
27-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Some ungrateful fukkers on here.

Woosie
27-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Derry has been a good servant to the club, and a very good player for us as well. However despite starting this season in good form his form has deteriorated and tbh I wouldn't be all that disappointed if he does leave. Having said that, Derry does always put a hell of a lot of effort and passion into his performances.

Absolution
27-04-2010, 07:36 PM
If we are looking to rebuild (in whatever division we may end up :() Derry has to be a part of that side, and leading it. I would hope he would stay with us, so Barnsley can look all they want, but he hopefully will lead us out next year!

The comments before and after the match yesterday said it all.

Psychokiller
27-04-2010, 07:38 PM
The kind of player most fans don't miss until he's not there.

Chrissayy
27-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Past it.
*takes cover*
I take this back. great showing yesterday.

Walrus
28-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Well said.

Would be a loss for us if he goes.

Zohar Returns
28-04-2010, 11:47 AM

^^^^^^^^^ That ^^^^^^^^^

I think all our players this season should be given 100% backing considering the number of games they have played, probably through niggling injuries as we basically had no one else left to play, plus not getting paid etc!!!!

Will always appreciate this bunch we have now, regardless where they end up after this season.

CPFC_DAVE77
28-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I have said for months on here Hill OR Derry would end up at Bransley, which while I agree with PK et al about Derry going unappreciated, it does show his level somewhat.

rainbow_child
28-04-2010, 01:20 PM
A great servant to the club and a leader on the pitch who will run through brick walls for you Mr 100%

Shipp Ahoy!
28-04-2010, 01:36 PM

Have to say this could well be the case, but for me he simply isn't good enough.

Hoping Ertl can cover his absence as think he will be a very big player for us.

Shipp Ahoy!
28-04-2010, 01:37 PM
BTW, if you are looking to give the ball to an opponent when you have another player more then about 3 yards away Shuan is your man.

David Amsalem
28-04-2010, 05:33 PM
I understand the importance of a player like Derry, but in my opinion, he has been very poor for the second half of the season.

In his first spell, he would often be wrongly criticised because he only passed the ball backwards.

Derry's game has always been about winning the ball, then doing the simple thing and leading the team. I would argue that he has only done the latter, and that's vocally, not by example.

pistol
28-04-2010, 06:43 PM
i saw him on saturday, and asked him if he was going,all he said was that a few players were out of contract at the end of the season and nobody knows anything at the moment due to the state of the club, but he did say contracts are normally reviewed about june, so who knows

RDSdaEAGLE
28-04-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't think it's surprising that his form has dipped a little - he's played the most games for us this season, starting most of our games and not being subbed for the majority of them.

I'm delighted that he had such a positive return for us, after the way he was shunned by Dowie following our promotion. He deserved a second crack at Palace and I think he took it :)

Will S
28-04-2010, 07:03 PM
What are people expecting ? Fabregas??? He's been vital to us this year - a huge influence on and off the pitch. No-one else I'd rather see lead the team out on Sunday.

Optimistic Kev
28-04-2010, 07:27 PM
What are people expecting ? Fabregas??? He's been vital to us this year - a huge influence on and off the pitch. No-one else I'd rather see lead the team out on Sunday.

That :p

ebyeeckeagle
28-04-2010, 09:49 PM

Spot on. Not always played the best, but precisely what do we expect? A key player on Sunday.

Gooders
28-04-2010, 10:05 PM
He's been a great servant to the club and if he does move on this summer he'll do so with my good wishes.

We'll certainly miss him around the place - decent bloke.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
28-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Very fond of Sean. Not always the best but always one of the most committed, he cares about us and I think most of us care about him. The kind of player who has been invaluable for us this season in terms of keeping the fight even though the quality is sometimes missing.

Maybe struggling for form right now but I would like to think he could still have a role here next season.

pistol
29-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Very fond of Sean. Not always the best but always one of the most committed, he cares about us and I think most of us care about him. The kind of player who has been invaluable for us this season in terms of keeping the fight even though the quality is sometimes missing.

Maybe struggling for form right now but I would like to think he could still have a role here next season.

Spot on mate always gives 100% :p

Owngoal
29-04-2010, 10:00 AM
No one disputes the effort but physically he is past his sell by date and the new team cannot afford to make the mistakes of the past. The midfielders who reach 32 without losing pace are few and far between, but Derry could do a job for someone I'm sure.

Gazpacho
30-04-2010, 08:34 AM

Completely agree.

mrgins
03-05-2010, 10:34 PM
true:p

PeterH
04-05-2010, 02:40 AM
He's had several cracking spells. Was great in the Play Off final vs Shammers. Excellent yesterday, and by all accounts for a lot of this season.

Does he warrant a legend status? Probably not.

Probably worth a dip at a free for most clubs.

biggus mickus
04-05-2010, 05:18 AM

Agreed.

Cleon
04-05-2010, 06:41 AM
I have doubted him in the past, but this has been his season. Despite the occasional dip in form, he has done a true capatin's role and pulled this club and this team to safety.

Given that I think we are in for another tough season next year, I would be very disappointed if we lost him. I believe that the only reason he would choose to leave would be if we were unable to offer him a new contract.

cockles
04-05-2010, 08:00 AM
I have seen him both at his best ever & worst ever this season.

Whoever gets him next season (including us) will get a decent player - but don't know for how much longer. He has clearly needed resting at times, and it would be best if he could be rotated in future.

If Palace were to keep him, I doubt he'd be offered more than 1 year - and he'll get 2 years elsewhere.

For us I really think Ertl is ready to step up for a bigger role - but we need to get him signed up too - long term. I don't know about Johnny's domestic situation (think he rents a flat in Beckenham), but he wants and deserves a long term contract now (from someone) & may want to start a family etc if he hasn't already.

I'd imagine the consortium will also be planning for longer than 1 or 2 years and may be against signing over 30's for more than 1 year (like Wenger).

sydnsteve
04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
I didn't realise that he has played every minute of every league game, that is some going the way he plays. No wonder he looked knackered at times. Had a wonderful game yeaterday, and I'd like us to give him 2 more years if we can afford it.

The Omen
04-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Fantastic captain's performance on Sunday, but I do believe his best days are now behind him.

However, I think next season could be a very tough fight and would love to keep him as part of the team - but have a squad which meant we could use him when we really need him and rest him when we don't.

Our Ledley King :)

AJ
04-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I have seen him both at his best ever & worst ever this season.

Whoever gets him next season (including us) will get a decent player - but don't know for how much longer. He has clearly needed resting at times, and it would be best if he could be rotated in future.

If Palace were to keep him, I doubt he'd be offered more than 1 year - and he'll get 2 years elsewhere.

For us I really think Ertl is ready to step up for a bigger role - but we need to get him signed up too - long term. I don't know about Johnny's domestic situation (think he rents a flat in Beckenham), but he wants and deserves a long term contract now (from someone) & may want to start a family etc if he hasn't already.

I'd imagine the consortium will also be planning for longer than 1 or 2 years and may be against signing over 30's for more than 1 year (like Wenger).

I think the issue will boil down to money. At one point Derry was on something 7k a week at Leeds, while Ertl is probably closer to 2k a week.

rainbow_child
04-05-2010, 12:44 PM

Is the right answer! :lux:

Norwoodguy
04-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I have always admired Derry - not the most gifted. But the desire and effort put other more "talented" players to shame.

I hope he stays

EddieEdwards
04-05-2010, 01:17 PM
I didn't realise that he has played every minute of every league gameNot quite - he's been subbed a couple of times.

glaziers fan
04-05-2010, 05:29 PM
if we were in a relegation fight I'd want him. If we're going for promotion I don't think he will care enough. it would be nice to get off to a good start next season

adrenalin john
04-05-2010, 05:50 PM
have questioned him at times, but there is no doubt his guts and leadership qualities were integral to us surviving this season.

I think the fact we survived is a testament to the character of the senior players, they deserve nothing but praise and thanks

Budgie Byrne
04-05-2010, 06:24 PM
if we were in a relegation fight I'd want him. If we're going for promotion I don't think he will care enough. it would be nice to get off to a good start next season

Not care enough? You have to be joking, if he did not care enough he would not have performed like he did on Sunday and showed real emotion at the end.

He cares about this club and that should never be in doubt.

Will he be with us next season, I doubt if the 2010 complete the takeover, money will be tight and at the tail end of his career he will no doubt be looking for the kind of deal that will secure his and his familys future

CedarEagle
04-05-2010, 06:34 PM
He can go !

His best is past him.

Still a Palace legend and always welcome

cpfc4evandeva
04-05-2010, 07:08 PM
I didn't realise that he has played every minute of every league game,

He hasn't. He's started every game, but he definitely came off against Watford. Not sure if their where other games?

rhiannapaul
04-05-2010, 07:20 PM
does the simple stuff constantly, tackles, short passes and gets up um

Away
04-05-2010, 07:44 PM
BTW, if you are looking to give the ball to an opponent when you have another player more then about 3 yards away Shuan is your man.

For me he gave the ball away a lot on Sunday and I suspect it was in part the old legs that meant we dropped back so much in the last quarter.

But he's been rock solid Palace and that has meant more than anything this season and probably will do next. That's why he's started every game and will do for another season if he stays.

Freddy Kurz
04-05-2010, 08:06 PM
For me he gave the ball away a lot on Sunday and I suspect it was in part the old legs that meant we dropped back so much in the last quarter.

But he's been rock solid Palace and that has meant more than anything this season and probably will do next. That's why he's started every game and will do for another season if he stays.

Can we all please consign these rumours to the garbage heap where they belong, and urge whoever becomes CPFC(2010)'s new manager to try & keep as many of the best of our current squad together as possible, including Shaun Derry, one of our most consistent performers and a great leader.

ANDYEAGLE
04-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Can we all please consign these rumours to the garbage heap where they belong, and urge whoever becomes CPFC(2010)'s new manager to try &
keep as many of the best of our current squad together as possible
including Shaun Derry one of our most consistent performers and a
great leader.

I think if the 2010 guys complete the takeover they will be looking to the future. That means the likes of Shaun and Clint will be offered one year deals at reduced wages. Both these two will be looking for high wages and 2 year deals. We all know the wage bill has to be cut and as much as we may feel they deserve new contracts I doubt if they will be here next season.

Lee B
04-05-2010, 08:28 PM

Going for promotion???:eek:

Des has been a fantastic servant to this club and if he is going back oop north with his Mrs then he goes with my blessing and good wishes. I also think that each of us owes him a pint for his quiet, dignified leadership this season.

kuqicrisp
04-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Loyal and dedicated player for the club, but of late his performances have been poor, partly due to his age and the fact that he has been ever present this season down to our paper thin squad.

In his prime a tenacious midfielder with a good work rate

Main annoyance with Derry is the way he attempts Beckham-esque passes, when he is anything but.....

jams1234
18-05-2010, 05:26 PM
So far, the only contract offers Shaun has received have been two from Greece. There has been interest from England, but the two concrete ones are from Greece.

However, Shaun is waiting as long as possible to see what happens with the club first-with the right terms, he desperately wants to stay here. I'd imagine this to be the case with most of our out-of-contract players.

Shipp Ahoy!
18-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Not surprised with Derry, he is probably fairly settled and doesn't want to uproot the family again.

Palace Rebel
18-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Loyal and dedicated player for the club, but of late his performances have been poor, partly due to his age and the fact that he has been ever present this season down to our paper thin squad.

In his prime a tenacious midfielder with a good work rate

Main annoyance with Derry is the way he attempts Beckham-esque passes, when he is anything but.....

maybe you are yet to hear he is better than Stevie G

Owngoal
18-05-2010, 09:45 PM
As much as he gives his best I hate it when 'he has played in every game and is tired' is trotted out as an excuse for the poor games. He is at that age when some have a golden final couple of years (Speed) or suddenly are past it at a certain level (Hopkin and Dougie). In the real world we know which Shaun is and with controlling costs cannot afford to have 2 players (Ertl & Derry) doing the workof one.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
18-05-2010, 10:37 PM
So far, the only contract offers Shaun has received have been two from Greece. There has been interest from England, but the two concrete ones are from Greece.

However, Shaun is waiting as long as possible to see what happens with the club first-with the right terms, he desperately wants to stay here. I'd imagine this to be the case with most of our out-of-contract players.

Wonder why there is interest from Greece?

gold76
19-05-2010, 07:20 AM
with the turbulence in Greece at the moment, can anyone see him uprooting sticks to go out there?

sydnsteve
19-05-2010, 08:50 AM
He had a storming end to the season, and to suggest at his age that playing every minute of every game would not have an effect is stupid. I have been the first to criticise, but having seen his last fewe games I take it all back. We should offer him a 2 year deal.

kettle
19-05-2010, 09:04 AM
very good squad player to have. Won't be able to play every game (and shouldn't be expected to), but does the simple stuff well. He is the kind of scrapper / defensive mid every team needs. Yes, we have Ertl, but he will also end up filling a defenders role in the future. I would keep him, with a 1 yr deal and extension depending on appearances.

cpfcfan1
20-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Ipswich interested

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=16484

GodstoneEagle
20-05-2010, 11:57 AM
My mate reckons Xanthi and Kavala are trying to sign English players.

2+2=4?