PDA

View Full Version : Palace release Comley

prizesucker
06-05-2010, 10:28 AM
SSN news roller says Palace have released James Comley.

Can't find anything "official". Any one else seen/heard about this?

Beckenham Boy
06-05-2010, 10:30 AM
That will be a real surprise

pardew's shorts
06-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Il Padrino
06-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Said goodbyes at the reserve game yesterday apparantly

Dingle
06-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Someone mentioned on the Palace Arsenal U18 match thread that Comley and Abnett had been released. Beginning to look like this is true.

I am a little surprised but I suppose we have such a good academy that we cannot keep them all and if it is felt we have a better prospect coming through, keeping Comley would be pointless.

Pub Idol
06-05-2010, 10:38 AM
When did he last play ?

Beckenham Boy
06-05-2010, 10:45 AM
When did he last play ?

Just 2 substitute appearances in the 1st team this season, both coming in the FA Cup. Last appearance was Villa away when he came on in the 83rd minute

dannyboy1807
06-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I wish both lads the best of luck for the future hopefully there get a League 1 team.

Ant1982
06-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Suprised. Thought Comley might feature more next season as a sub.

wedgetail
06-05-2010, 10:56 AM
I hope we don't regret this.

Big Blue Eagle
06-05-2010, 11:00 AM
He did have behavior issues earlier in the season - maybe that played a part?

james powell
06-05-2010, 11:04 AM
We will. He is pure class. Always wants the ball. Great touch. Strong. Fast. Always looking up and around him for the ext movement/pass. He is going to be one hell of a player. :sob:

kolinkins
06-05-2010, 11:06 AM

We very very rarely regret this sort of release.

The likes of Hill and Derry will be a much bigger loss.

CPFC Cheerleader Observer
06-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Saw him in a few pre-season matches and thought he was a very promising prospect. Will be a shame to lose him.

GodstoneEagle
06-05-2010, 11:16 AM
I thought we'd regret the loss of Dayton, smith, peltonen...

The coaches know best

Scroatey
06-05-2010, 11:20 AM
We very very rarely regret this sort of release.I totally concur, we also tend to build up the next big thing, like the media, but the truth of the matter comes from the coaches' decisions and how far the player really goes.

pardew's shorts
06-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Neil the Eagle
06-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Said goodbyes at the reserve game yesterday apparantly

True, his mum was in tears at the end.

I must admit, I didn't think this was new news.

DaveP
06-05-2010, 11:39 AM
The interesting thing is who is making these decision and under the guidance of who?

Are CPFC2010 and there choice of a new manager working from afield making these decisions or would these be made by Gary Issott?

Will S
06-05-2010, 11:45 AM
The interesting thing is who is making these decision and under the guidance of who?

Spot on.

Shipp Ahoy!
06-05-2010, 11:58 AM
FFS :sob:

mushroom
06-05-2010, 11:59 AM
I see this as good news, if we were gonna have a fire sale of first teamers, surely we wouldn't be letting these lads go.

prizesucker
06-05-2010, 12:03 PM

Are CPFC2010 and there choice of a new manager working from afield making these decisions or would these be made by Gary Issott?

You ask too many intelligent questions - your kind is not wanted on the BBS! ;)

Burn him :veryangry

Come back with an ego trip, no sources and stupid questions about sandwiches at press conferences! ;)

Owngoal
06-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Can't see the coaches getting it that wrong when they see him every day - we were probably expecting 11 Clynes/Moses to come through when one or two diamonds is more likely.

David of Kent
06-05-2010, 12:13 PM

This

I've lost count of the number of young players that have left CPFC and we've been told "woe are us, this one is going to come back and bite us", only to never hear of the guy again. Hopefully, the decision to release them came from some of the wise heads like Issot. And if that's the case, they've not steered us wrong before

The very best of luck to both young players. They must be devastated

dannyboy1807
06-05-2010, 12:18 PM
The only one I can think of recently we have released that has been half decent is Moses Swaibu at Lincoln but I'm sure there are others.

David of Kent
06-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Actually, Stephen Hunt is the most notable I would have thought in "recent" times

Il Padrino
06-05-2010, 12:21 PM

No idea as to the first part, but I think Comley would be too old to come under Issot's jurisdiction

Mark_cpfc
06-05-2010, 12:27 PM
From what i heard he also went off injured in yesterday's reserve match, sad way to end your Palace career.

FraserH
06-05-2010, 12:32 PM
if he has been released, as sad as it may be, he obivously isn't considered good enough.

good luck where ever you end up

The Omen
06-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Grabban was another we thought we would regret.

These decisions don't often come back to haunt us. I trust the coaches.

eagle_ali9
06-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Devastating news

David of Kent
06-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Gareth Williams was one that people used to say we'd regret too. Plus, there was a right back some years ago. Can't remember his name for the life of me!

james powell
06-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Grabban was another we thought we would regret.

These decisions don't often come back to haunt us. I trust the coaches.
(I don't mean this to sound rude, but) How many times have you seen him play? The few times he came on as a sub for the 1st team? He (even in those games, was great) and in the youth and reserves. As I said before, fast, sting, aware, great passing abilty, watching him play was amazing, so much talent. I don't know who made the decision (if he has gone) but I totally disagree with it, but hey, maybe that's why I'm not a coach.
I still stand by my statement that he will be a fantastic player at his peak.

Gareth Williams was one that people used to say we'd regret too. Plus, there was a right back some years ago. Can't remember his name for the life of me!

Craig Dobson?

herts_palace
06-05-2010, 12:51 PM
The right back - wasn't he at Brentford?

Latvian Eagle
06-05-2010, 12:54 PM
The Right Back was Richard Howell. He made one subs appearance for the first team I think then ended up somewhere like Stevenage for a while.

There's been loads though. Sean Hankin was highly rated, and ended up at Farnborough I think. Will Antwi, Scott Gooding etc etc.

dannyboy1807
06-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Craig dobson is on the bench at Sutton united now

pardew's shorts
06-05-2010, 01:01 PM

wedgetail
06-05-2010, 01:06 PM

The likes of Hill and Derry will be a much bigger loss.

I don't know enough about Comley to know if releasing him is a good or bad idea, but I do know enough about Hill and Derry to know that they belong to the past.

zonin2000
06-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Occasionally we do (Stephen Hunt), generally we don't (Hankin, Dsane, Togwell etc).

palace64
06-05-2010, 01:14 PM
the most recent right back to get in the squad was aaron fray

Latvian Eagle
06-05-2010, 01:23 PM
There's loads of players who were highly rated who haven't made it...

I remember at the time Fray came into the squad there was a young forward called Anton Smith? Who was highly rated. He never made it. Rikki Dolan, Phil Starkey, Glenn Wilson. All these guys are deemed good enough for Pro contracts. That doesn't mean they develop to be good enough for the level we're at though.

CPFC987
06-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Out of interest, anyone know where James Dayton is now?

kolinkins
06-05-2010, 01:39 PM
but I do know enough about Hill and Derry to know that they belong to the past.

So, you'd be happy to be in Peterborough's position? Because that is where we would have been without those two.

Latvian Eagle
06-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Not a clue about Dayton, both Wikipedia and Soccerbase have his last details as being on loan at Crawley from us.

wedgetail
06-05-2010, 01:49 PM
So, you'd be happy to be in Peterborough's position? Because that is where we would have been without those two.
You do speak utter nonsense.

palace64
06-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Out of interest, anyone know where James Dayton is now?

no but he watched the reserve match against brighton and he drives a mini cooper with the reg D4TES with a . under the 4

laggin
06-05-2010, 01:53 PM
I am surprised as i thought abnett and esp comley were good enough to make the grade. Theres still a lot of good young kids at palace though

kolinkins
06-05-2010, 01:54 PM
You do speak utter nonsense.

I'm not the one who thinks we'd have stayed up without Derry and Hill.

Crunchie
06-05-2010, 02:14 PM

Rory Ginty?

Danny Boxall?

Ginty though i thought was special.

However I though Stephen Hunt was one of our worst players when we were last in admin, so what do I know

David of Kent
06-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Craig Dobson?

No, he was the winger wasn't he?

It was Richard Howell (as another poster said). People posting on here that used to see the reserves used to tell us his release was a massive error. If it was it didn't come back to bite us!

Dartford Lad
06-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Not a clue about Dayton, both Wikipedia and Soccerbase have his last details as being on loan at Crawley from us.

Dayton had spells at Bromley, Bishops Stortford and Leyton and is now out in Glenn Hoddles Academy in Spain. (Well he's on the website anyway)

Absolution
06-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Out of interest, anyone know where James Dayton is now?Glen Hoddle's academy.

pumaspalace
06-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Shame.

GodstoneEagle
06-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Glen Hoddle's academy.
Good for him.

As always, I hope Comley can make a career for himself in league football like Swaibu, Grabban, Togwell and others have who've left us in recent years but similarly there are many examples of Ryan Hall, Ashley-Paul Robinson and co who didn't knuckle down and fell out the league.

Best of luck James.

Absolution
06-05-2010, 03:26 PM
On the topic on hand: I really liked Comley. Sat next to his parents when he played in the Dougie testimonial, and they were so proud to see him get on the pitch.

Although N'Diaye has been elevated above him, he is as good a player. He just lacks that physical presence.

Can't see who is making these decisions though?

Clapham Grand
06-05-2010, 03:29 PM
The only one I can think of recently we have released that has been half decent is Moses Swaibu at Lincoln but I'm sure there are others.

David Hunt has also had a good lower league career

chatham_eagle
06-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Didn't we also release Jay Tabb?

Thedane
06-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Right back Richard Howell was highly rated by many fans. He has been at Bishop's Stortford since 2002/03 and done well, when not injured. Has been very unlucky with injuries, having broken his leg twice.

All the best of luck to James and Michael. Hope you'll soon find another club to play for.

thefox
06-05-2010, 03:44 PM

Antwi ? Or something like that ?

chatham_eagle
06-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Antwi ? Or something like that ?

Will?

thefox
06-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Will?

That rings a bell , but it's a very hazy memory.

CPFC_DAVE77
06-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Will Antwi won Lague Two defender of the year in I think 07/08 season at Wycombe, they had a cracking pairing with him and Williamson I think the other guys name was.

Togwell has done well which pleases me.

scro
06-05-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm not the one who thinks we'd have stayed up without Derry and Hill.

Hill tries but is nothing special at all. I wouldn't mind if he goes. Derry i would like to see stay another season help stabilise things with a steady hard to beat season and then move on.

CPFC_DAVE77
06-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Hill tries but is nothing special at all. I wouldn't mind if he goes. Derry i would like to see stay another season help stabilise things with a steady hard to beat season and then move on.

When Hill goes having released Wiggins a year ago, Hills out for 8 months + time out on loan to get match fit. Clyne sought after and Butts out of contract, we could report back for training without a registered full back.

Kai
06-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Very surprised by the release of Comley, but not as much with Abnett.

The Omen
06-05-2010, 04:20 PM
(I don't mean this to sound rude, but) How many times have you seen him play? The few times he came on as a sub for the 1st team? He (even in those games, was great) and in the youth and reserves. As I said before, fast, sting, aware, great passing abilty, watching him play was amazing, so much talent. I don't know who made the decision (if he has gone) but I totally disagree with it, but hey, maybe that's why I'm not a coach.
I still stand by my statement that he will be a fantastic player at his peak.

I've hardly seen him play at all to be fair, but I doubt we would release a player of any value. The coaches see him day in, day out. There must be a reason that he is no longer at Palace.

Let's hope your wrong and this isn't one we live to regret.

No.16
06-05-2010, 04:49 PM
When Hill goes having released Wiggins a year ago, Hills out for 8 months + time out on loan to get match fit. Clyne sought after and Butts out of contract, we could report back for training without a registered full back.

I think this is why the Abnett release seems odd, I doubt we'll be dabbling too much in the transfer market

Gazza2
06-05-2010, 04:55 PM

Playing for St Albans as is near where his family lives was last I heard of him.

pardew's shorts
06-05-2010, 05:38 PM

pardew's shorts
06-05-2010, 06:01 PM

steveholmesdale
06-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Palace Academy graduates from the past 10 years who are at league clubs in England or Scotland (not including those still at Palace. Apologies if I've missed any):

Tom Soares
Ben Watson
Rhoys Wiggins
John Bostock
Victor Moses
Lewis Grabban
Moses Swaibu
Gary Borrowdale
Lewwis Spence
Sam Togwell
Wayne Routledge
Anthony Straker
Jamie Smith
Hayden Mullins
Clinton Morrison
Will Antwi
Andrew Frampton
David Hunt
Steve Kabba
Steven Thomson
Wayne Carlisle
Leon McKenzie
Stephen Hunt

Pretty impressive, especially when you consider the quality of the players still at the club, and the quality of many of the players in the academy aged 12-17. Our academy is truly outstanding.

Roscoe d'sane, i dont know if within last 10 years, but so many people were raving about him, he got released and claimed to be the best thing since sliced bread, last i saw he was at Aldershot.
With regard to James C, have seen him play in U18 at Copers cope road, would not say for me considering all the hype from other fans that he stood out, dominated or controlled games.He worked hard as a team player and would fade in and out.
In the coaches we trust

pardew's shorts
06-05-2010, 06:11 PM

pardew's shorts
06-05-2010, 06:13 PM

HRS
06-05-2010, 06:19 PM
To be fair we don't release many who go on to better things. Off the top of my head it's only Stephen Hunt in the last 10 years. And that's good going whatever way you look at it. For what it's worth we're in admin with a paper thin squad and this kids hardly featured at all, how good can he be? Also the benefit of judging centre mids is when training they are in direct competion with each other on the pitch. He obviously hasn't got on that well. Good luck to him anyway.

Stonewall
06-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Sorry to see James got released, his Mum and Dad were allways a frendly couple, and he has a younger Brother at QPR. so with the Warnock connection, he may also migrate over to West London? only time will tell?

Walrus
06-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Unless he's good enough to feature in the match day squad each week next season, an 18 year old isn't going to get another pro contract at CPFC in the current financial climate.

Doesn't mean that they're not rated, just that they're not rated enough.

Good luck to them both - if Comley is as good as some posters on here say, he'll get a league 1 team (or a reserve place at QPR).

Woosie
06-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Sorry to see James got released, his Mum and Dad were allways a frendly couple, and he has a younger Brother at QPR. so with the Warnock connection, he may also migrate over to West London? only time will tell?

I was under the impression that Warnock wasn't a fan because of his 'attitude' in terms of that incident where he got pictured laying on the floor outside a club or whatever it was.

orp pisshead1
06-05-2010, 11:47 PM
I wish both lads the best of luck for the future hopefully there get a League 1 team.

As long as it ain't millwall or :clown: s

<_tece_>
07-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Bit premature to be releasing players isn't it? What with not having an official management team and all...

hulkster
07-05-2010, 03:55 AM
Glenn Little has had a good career since leaving us. We were a pretty good team back in the days he was a youth player with us though. Showed great charecter by moving to Ireland before being given given a chance with Burnley and taking it.

Maidstoned Eagle
07-05-2010, 07:05 AM
He could always come to Spain and play for Alhaurin.

CPFC_DAVE77
07-05-2010, 08:07 AM
He could always come to Spain and play for Alhaurin.

Can I?

PalaceSince2004
07-05-2010, 11:35 AM
What is the main reason for his release. Was his contract up??

Il Padrino
10-05-2010, 01:46 PM
AMES Comley has spoken of his shock at being released by Crystal Palace.
The 19-year-old midfielder was told that he was not going to be offered a new contract before the crunch Championship decider with Sheffield Wednesday.
“To be honest I wasn’t really expecting it,” said Comley, who has been with the Eagles since the age of 15. “I think the manager [Paul Hart] was asked to make a decision by the administrator.
“I was a bit upset but that’s football. I thought a decision might wait until after the final game of the season, so it all felt a bit abrupt.
“But it is just one of those things, you’ve got to move on. I’m going to miss the club and the fans are great.
“My agent is assessing everything but there is not much I can do because most teams have packed up so it is not like I can even train with them and go on trial.
“It is a slight concern because there are so many players released - it is getting more every year - but I hope I’ll be okay and I’m confident in my ability.
“I would have loved a few more games for Palace but the ones I had were great. Starting at Southampton would probably be my highlight and coming on in the 3-0 win against Wolves.
“Playing against Aston Villa, even though it was only for a short time and we didn’t win the game, was a great experience too.”
Don't miss tomorrow's South London Press for an interview with Matt Lawrence and the latest on Palace's takeover talks.

PALACEWU
10-05-2010, 02:31 PM
:( Seems like a good lad, with some common sense.

Gazza2
11-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I think he is more than good enough to secure a move to a League 1 or 2 club and will be starting games at that level sooner rather than later. And, hopefully, would then show he is good enough to eventually get a move back up the leagues.
Was always noticeable how supportive his family were - attending even youth games he played - so that should help him get over this temporary career blip.

Ralph
11-05-2010, 07:22 PM
I was thinking of setting up a website that promoted some of our released youngsters each season, a sort of BBS Palace Youth Agency. We could all post comments whenever we saw them and then we could monitor how they get on once they leave. I know I always check on our former kids playing lower league football in the sports pages - you never know clubs might take an interest in the site if we can find them new clubs.

orp pisshead1
11-05-2010, 08:56 PM
I think he is more than good enough to secure a move to a League 1 or 2 club and will be starting games at that level sooner rather than later. And, hopefully, would then show he is good enough to eventually get a move back up the leagues.
Was always noticeable how supportive his family were - attending even youth games he played - so that should help him get over this temporary career blip.

Another 1 off to millwall then, seriously best of luck JC and i'm sure that the fans present at swindon in the fa youth cup the other year will always remember that wonder goal:p

Scrumpy
11-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Good luck to him

Chris Leitch
16-12-2010, 09:17 AM
According to Wikipedia - Comley is still a free agent.

cartwheel
16-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Shocking he is without a club, was really surprised we let him go. Maybe his attitude isn't what it should be. I don't know the guy so I maybe way off the mark, but he was snapped drunk and face down on the pavement in piss covered trousers outside a club. Maybe likes a party more than a game of football? Much like Gareth Graham who was one of the best youth players I've ever seen at the Palace. Hope I'm massively wrong though, just find it hard to believe clubs lower down the leagues don't think he is worth a go.

Navigation
16-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Shocking he is without a club, was really surprised we let him go. Maybe his attitude isn't what it should be. I don't know the guy so I maybe way off the mark, but he was snapped drunk and face down on the pavement in piss covered trousers outside a club. Maybe likes a party more than a game of football? Much like Gareth Graham who was one of the best youth players I've ever seen at the Palace. Hope I'm massively wrong though, just find it hard to believe clubs lower down the leagues don't think he is worth a go.

Gareth Graham had a few years at AFC Wimbledon and now playing for Croydon. Was certainly on the beer too much in the Wimbledon days but sure I heard he had a serious injury and knew that he would never play at top level again and so eased off on the training.

Comley will have to show real hunger and determination to get picked up by a club. From reports that I hear a lot of kids (especially at Chelsea) have far too much swagger about them and think they have already made it. Not saying Comley was like that but hurts the kids hard when they get rejected and my guess is olny those with immense dedication go on to success after being released when a youngster.

Dobbo
17-12-2010, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=Il Padrino]“My agent is assessing everything[QUOTE]

It does stagger me that kids who have kicked a ball for the first team for fifteen minutes have "agents"

ThisIsDoM
17-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I've been told that he's injured and is waiting until he's healed up before he can start looking for a new club.