PDA

View Full Version : Speroni to Boro - Daily Mail

rhynoeagle
13-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Another Quoteless article from our friends the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1277918/Middlesbrough-eye-summer-swoop-Crystal-Palace-goalkeeper-Julian-Speroni.html

CPFC_DAVE77
13-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Would make sense they could do with a quality 'keeper.

Gooders
13-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Let's go fly a kite...

Son of Ron
13-05-2010, 07:43 AM
can't see Speroni uprooting from one end of the country to the other, just to swap from what I expect to be one mid-table Championship side to another.

if he's going to move it should be to a top half Premier League side - he's capable of it and has earned that chance the last couple of years.

Herr Colonpharter
13-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Boro need him more than he needs Boro.

RedStripe Eagle
13-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Boro need him more than he needs Boro.

which may mean a big pay day for him (and he deserves it for what he has done for us in the last few seasons) and maybe a big pay day for us too:lux: :lux: :lux:

The Gerry Queen
13-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Julian is a big family man and is firmly rooted to his home in Oxted with his wife and son. He is also religious and belongs to a community church which is very important to him.
When Boro were in the Prem it was well documented that they struggled to keep top players because many of them were put off by the prospect of moving to Middlesborough which is a very grim place. It has consistently come out as the worst place to live in the UK in many different surveys. Of course he could move to some of the affluent North Yorkshire villages or Harrogate but he would fine it hard to match what he has which is refreshingly important to him. Unless he is asked to move as Fonte was, for the good of the Club, I can't see this one happening.

tbooker
13-05-2010, 08:29 AM
1m are they sure? In this day and age and even in the situation we currently find ourselves in that wouldnt be enough to buy he's gloves!
So a keeper like Craig Gorden (sp) who went for 10m+ is 10x the keeper Speroni is? i think not.....

Ant.Palace
13-05-2010, 08:37 AM
1m are they sure? In this day and age and even in the situation we currently find ourselves in that wouldnt be enough to buy he's gloves!
So a keeper like Craig Gorden (sp) who went for 10m+ is 10x the keeper Speroni is? i think not.....

I agree. 1m is an insult.

NateEagle
13-05-2010, 08:53 AM
In our current situation unfortunately 1m is good money but hopefully CPFC2010 are getting more say than we know and will agree that 1mill is a disgusting offer for someone worth at least 3/4 even 5mill.

immoralgiant
13-05-2010, 09:09 AM
1m is a joke. End of. Doesn't matter what our financial situation is, he is proven at this level and to put a 1m value on it, is ludicrous.

Son of Ron
13-05-2010, 09:18 AM
I agree 1m will be a bargain price, but if its a case of losing one player or paying the rest of the clubs wage bill for a month during which there's no other club income then what is Brenda to do ?

Shipp Ahoy!
13-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Sad to say but it really does depend on if we have other offers to keep the club afloat :( 1million pays the club expenses for another month!

elgin eagle
13-05-2010, 09:54 AM
I agree 1m will be a bargain price, but if its a case of losing one player or paying the rest of the clubs wage bill for a month during which there's no other club income then what is Brenda to do ?

Hopefully it wont come to that. How many points did he save us single-handedly last season? If we can hold onto speroni, mccarthy, clyne, derry, ambrose and scannell we'll have the good spine of a team to add to with free transfers. We could never replace him for one million.

PalaceSince2004
13-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Speroni should be going to a premieship team not another championship team!

davemorris04
13-05-2010, 10:21 AM
He's far to good for Boro

Seaside Eagle
13-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Hopefully it wont come to that. How many points did he save us single-handedly last season? If we can hold onto speroni, mccarthy, clyne, derry, ambrose and scannell we'll have the good spine of a team to add to with free transfers. We could never replace him for one million.

We'd struggle to replace him for anything under 10 million, in fact. :sob:

jhc
13-05-2010, 10:45 AM
In our current financial position I think we might have to let him go for 5M;)

kolinkins
13-05-2010, 10:48 AM
In our current financial position I think we might have to let him go for 5M;)

Tease

If we do lose him for 1m, it will be the best 1m any manager could spend in the window.

jhc
13-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Tease

If we do lose him for 1m, it will be the best 1m any manager could spend in the window.

Yep. Can't argue with that!:sob:

JamTheEagle
13-05-2010, 12:07 PM
He won't go to another Championship team.

Palestinian
13-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I spoke to him after the game-he is delirious at the moment, as are the rest of the team.

Regarding a move in the Summer, he told me that he is going to go on holiday first of all, have 4 weeks in Argentina and just see what the club tells him. He loves it here, and will only go if the club tells him he has to.

Quote from jams1234 on a different thread about Jules - assuming that is right, by the time he gets back from his holiday, we should be out of admin and won't need to sell

Vince Hilaire's Afro
13-05-2010, 12:26 PM
What a shit move that would be. Hopefully, if they do stick a contract under his nose, he'll pull down his kecks, whop out his todger, and piss all over it until it turns into a yellowy paper mache incarnation of Strachan's face.

Jason
13-05-2010, 12:33 PM
1m is a joke. End of. Doesn't matter what our financial situation is, he is proven at this level and to put a 1m value on it, is ludicrous.

Sadly that isn'tentirely true. He has one year left on a contract that even if a takeover goes through, we probably can't afford to renew at current wages . As such, if we don't sell him beforehand, he is likely to walk away on a free in twelve Months. Buying clubs will know this, and also know that we probably have to sell players just to stay afloat.

In a "normal" situation (IE the club being solvent and having Julian on a long term deal), I would be dissppointed by anything below the 3-4m range. However, we are not in a normal situation, and while I would obviously like to see us doing better than 1m, the reality is that 1m is not as low as I fear some clubs will try and bid

st albans
13-05-2010, 12:42 PM
i had a dream the other night that i met him at a work party and he became a really good friend

i think this is a sign that he shall not be leaving

gold76
13-05-2010, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't begrudge him a premier league move, but can't see him being too keen on Boro tbh.

rainbow_child
13-05-2010, 03:01 PM
How long does Julian have left on his contract 1 year? well if he is not going to renew maybe we will have to cash in I guess that is just the sad reality of economics :sob:

RDSdaEAGLE
13-05-2010, 04:34 PM
So Sami Mokbel's work is now being published under the SPORTSMAIL REPORTER byline? Nice.

Ruskin Old Boy
13-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Daily Mail accused Nick Clegg of being a Nazi not long ago. Then it suggested voting for Clegg would bring about rioting on the streets. Now Cleggy is Dave's closet buddy (sorry closest).

Every story in the Mail should come with a health warning - you might not get sh*t on your hands but you're reading it.

jams1234
13-05-2010, 04:59 PM
What Gerry Queen says is spot on. He is extremely settled, and the church plays a huge role in his life. He will only be going to Middlesborough if the club tell him to. He would only want to move if it was to a top 8 team.

Steve_CPFC
13-05-2010, 05:10 PM
I would be really, really dissapointed to see Speroni go.

eddieskyclad
13-05-2010, 05:19 PM
For whatever it's worth there's been nothing reported in the local Middlesbrough media... at least not that I've seen. The Evening Gazette may not be the greatest for getting scoops on Boro but they generally pick up on rumours with even a hint of substance.

Paulie Walnuts
13-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Would be a sideways move, really cannot see this happening especially as it's the other end of the country and as another poster has stated, Speroni is very settled in his local area.

jams1234
13-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Quote from jams1234 on a different thread about Jules - assuming that is right, by the time he gets back from his holiday, we should be out of admin and won't need to sell
It is correct. He hasn't gone yet, but will within the next fortnight.

Like I say, he is just going to go on holiday and see if he gets call from Palace. If he does and they say that they need the money, he will 90% go. If he gets a call and they say an Everton or above have offered, he will 90% go. Anything over than that, and he won't be going.

However, I must admit unless the takeover is completed by the end of May, I feel Brendan will start selling our assets-meaning his holiday may be cut short.

CPFC_DAVE77
13-05-2010, 06:11 PM
It is correct. He hasn't gone yet, but will within the next fortnight.

Like I say, he is just going to go on holiday and see if he gets call from Palace. If he does and they say that they need the money, he will 90% go. If he gets a call and they say an Everton or above have offered, he will 90% go. Anything over than that, and he won't be going.

However, I must admit unless the takeover is completed by the end of May, I feel Brendan will start selling our assets-meaning his holiday may be cut short.

You've probably answered this before but how do you know that? Do you know him?

jams1234
13-05-2010, 06:20 PM
You've probably answered this before but how do you know that? Do you know him?
Not directly personally, friend of my parents know him very well.

CPFC_DAVE77
13-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Not directly personally, friend of my parents know him very well.

Cool, he always seems like a lovely guy; would love him to stay.

biggus mickus
13-05-2010, 06:24 PM
I stuck my finger in a woodpeckers hole
Woodpecker said, God bless my soul
Take it out, take it out!
Remove it?
I took my finger from the woodpecker hole
woodpecker said, god bless my soul

I dont want to move to the north east.

marshybha
21-05-2010, 02:30 PM
1 million is a cracking offer in your current financial state.

I would take it and run to get him of your wage bill.