PDA

View Full Version : Nick Carle set to leave?

DaveP
13-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I know we heard this most of last summer too but appears something could be in the pipeline, would be gutted to see him leave, don't believe he was given enough chance to show how good a player he was.

VITEZSLAV Lavicka has hinted strongly that Socceroo Nick Carle will leave Crystal Palace to join Sydney FC as their marquee man.

The coach revealed to The Daily Telegraph yesterday why Carle was more important than Robbie Fowler in his plans as he rebuilds his team to defend the A-League title and also take them into Asia.

"I still believe Nicky will play for us," Lavicka said yesterday.

"I hope the Sydney FC board, Nick Carle and his agent will work out an agreement that allows him to come to us. I know the negotiations keep going and it's difficult, but I still believe it's possible to do it."

Lavicka said he had spoken with Carle, who was named earlier this week in Pim Verbeek's provisional list of 30 players for the World Cup. Lavicka said his priority was always a No. 10.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"No disrespect to Robbie [Fowler] and what he has achieved in football, but in my opinion he is a striker - not a No. 10," he said. "I wish him all the best in Perth. We will be opponents but not enemies.

"I just think that Nicky is a good stone for our philosophy. I watched several games in which he played in Europe last season and also for the Socceroos. He's younger than Robbie and I think his career is going up."

Lavicka does have a plan B if Carle stays at Palace, who went into administration in January and just survived relegation on the last day of the Championship.

Lavicka admitted he had spoken to some players and agents in his native Czech Republic, while back home on holidays for a month after the grand final, about playing for Sydney.

"We have another possibility for this position [No. 10] and we still need a striker and one or two midfielders. The players I spoke to are keen to come to Sydney."

Sydney have lost Clint Bolton, Simon Colosimo, Karol Kisel, Steve Corica and John Aloisi.

Lavicka remains hopeful the new players will be here in time for the clash with Everton at ANZ Stadium on July 10.

"It's a big game for us and I'd like to have my best squad," Lavicka said.

Tickets go on sale to the general public on May 20.
"This season is going to be long and difficult," Lavicka said. "We know it's going to be even harder to win the championship again, then we have the Asian Champions League."

The affable Czech let the cat out of the bag that he would be at the helm of the Sky Blues when they return to the ACL in March.

Typical Palace
13-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Worst value signing for a long time. NW's worst deal.

CPFC_DAVE77
13-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Worst value signing for a long time. NW's worst deal.

Correct. Not the worst player NW bought, but the worst value for money.

Voldo
13-05-2010, 03:49 PM
John Aloisi

:cool:

howard
13-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Never really stepped up when he was given the chance, might be best to see out his career back home.

Palace Rebel
13-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Would have potentially been worth it given the chance, always looked classy.

SpikeyMatt
13-05-2010, 04:33 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Nick go.

Flashes of what he's capable of, but unfortunately too many quiet games (which could probably be attributed to our style of play).

RDSdaEAGLE
13-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Would have potentially been worth it given the chance, always looked classy.

He is a classy player, but from everything I've read, seen and heard, his workrate is lacking. Warnock didn't stand for players being passengers for large portions of matches, and by the looks of things, nor did Hart.

If he had a little more pace, he'd be great in the Premier League - but he doesn't so few clubs would go near him.

Shame, I wanted him to succeed.

dannyboy1807
13-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if he left but we get a manager who wants to play football then he will be very handy

CPFC_DAVE77
13-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if he left but we get a manager who wants to play football then he will be very handy

So why did Watson look so comfortable in our side ahead of Carle?

SpikeyMatt
13-05-2010, 04:44 PM
So why did Watson look so comfortable in our side ahead of Carle?

Because he played a far deeper role, and actively looked to collect the ball from the defenders. Carle plays a good 20 yards further forward.

CPFC_DAVE77
13-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Because he played a far deeper role, and actively looked to collect the ball from the defenders. Carle plays a good 20 yards further forward.

But there is this ludicrous argument that Carle's omission only equates to a non footballing side. Carle done OK at times, but when played in his role hardly set the world alight, thus my original statement, a waste of money. If he was the next Diego I'd imagine it would have shone through in training in the eyes of Gary Johnson, Neil Warnock and Paul Hart.

jobiinthelastmi
13-05-2010, 04:59 PM
He's crap.

Time to get rid :hi:

gold76
13-05-2010, 05:08 PM
With Derry & Ertl out of contract
& Ambrose & Danns coveted, I'd be loathe to lose Nicky just yet. He could have a greater role next season should he stay

Steve_CPFC
13-05-2010, 05:09 PM
I hope he doesn't go. Don't think he got a fair run at the end of the season.

Jolly Norwegian
13-05-2010, 05:19 PM
A player I would've liked to see succeed at Palace (well, I'd like everybody to succeed...), but since he's never made an impact it's not someone I'd miss. A pretty big impact on the wage bill, I assume, though. I'm sure he'll do a job elsewhere.

gold76
13-05-2010, 05:26 PM
A player I would've liked to see succeed at Palace (well, I'd like everybody to succeed...), but since he's never made an impact it's not someone I'd miss. A pretty big impact on the wage bill, I assume, though. I'm sure he'll do a job elsewhere.

Agreed, a player we all were willing to succeed, but who has never quite fully established himself in 2 full seasons now.

At crossroads now, does he stick it out & fight for his place, or go for a fresh start?

Jason
13-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Yep. Very gifted player, but probably not right style wise for the CCC. If we can get a portion of the original fee back, and get him off the wage bill, then a move is best for all concerned imho

Typical Palace
13-05-2010, 06:24 PM
The best thing Nick Carle did in his Palace career was shield Clint Hill off the pitch at Hillsborough.

Remember that shot he had for Bristol City on his debut at SP?

rhynoeagle
13-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Hasnt been given the chance to show his value. I bet hes on the most at the club, but he is a very talented player.I think he should be derrys replacement 10/11 season.

I Cant wait for N'Diaye next year too. He'll be class.

CPFC_DAVE77
13-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Hasnt been given the chance to show his value. I bet hes on the most at the club, but he is a very talented player.I think he should be derrys replacement 10/11 season.

I Cant wait for N'Diaye next year too. He'll be class.

Carle cannot replace Derry.

Agree with N'Diaye.

weh8millwall
13-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Ridiculously one footed, can't tackle, and so slow in making decisions.

Before the he's never had a fair run crew roll in, he's been here 2 years & done shit all of note & neither of the 2 managers he's played under seem to particularly rate him.

Better off rid..

cockles
14-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Heavily one footed - yes.

Crap - no.

I thought for a couple of games under Hart he was or was close to our MOM. He then got injured i think & we didn't see him start again after really, so I'm not convinced he can't do a job for us.

I'm pretty sure that there is a system of play in which Carle will excel - but buggered if I know which.

In any case, he could do with getting his fitness up as he always ran out of steam for us at some stage.

I won't be upset if he goes, nor if he stays - but it depends on other factors.

Good luck to him anyhow.

GodstoneEagle
14-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Very left-footed but very able. Hart was convinced he was a winger which he isn't. Certainly would only function in a midfield triumvirate but I fear his high wages will see him go.

Skid Row
14-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Unless Palace let him go for free, there is no way Sydney will be able to pay a transfer fee for him unless it's under 10 bucks.

glaziers fan
14-05-2010, 02:24 AM
not enough pace, but a class act with superb vision. Can control games.

Show me the money though - his end product isn't up to scratch and he is not needed with Ambrose at the club.

philaire
14-05-2010, 02:36 AM
Can't see any immediate decisions being made on Carle, particularly if there is really new ownership on the horizon. Sydney FC are just "hopeful" more than anything.

The BBS as a whole were lauding his MOM efforts at Blackpool (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199168&highlight=carle+mom) and v Bristol City (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198647&highlight=mom) less than 2 months back before he copped another injury. Hard to reconcile with some of the more derisory comments on here.

TonysMumsabitch
14-05-2010, 04:40 AM
Can't see any immediate decisions being made on Carle, particularly if there is really new ownership on the horizon. Sydney FC are just "hopeful" more than anything.

The BBS as a whole were lauding his MOM efforts at Blackpool (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199168&highlight=carle+mom) and v Bristol City (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198647&highlight=mom) less than 2 months back before he copped another injury. Hard to reconcile with some of the more derisory comments on here.

This.

Madden
14-05-2010, 05:27 AM
Perth Glory expressed interest a couple of weeks ago but I'd be very suprised to see him return to Australia just yet.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/soccer/7142540/glory-now-sound-out-carle/

Owngoal
18-05-2010, 09:04 AM
From the Croydon Guardian - Popo mentioned

Sydney FC manager Vitezslav Lavicka says Nick Carle is close to joining the Australian champions.

The Crystal Palace midfielder, currently away with the Socceroos World Cup squad, was out of favour at SE25 for most of this season, making just 14 league starts.

Lavicka revealed he was in advanced negotiations with Carle, with assistant coach Tony Popovic, a former captain at Palace, playing a major role.

"Negotiations are still going but we'd like to finish maybe this week but it's unpredictable," he told au.fourfourtwo.com.

"I think Carle is the right stone for our philosophy and strategy but it's hard to say now.

"We're working, every person at Sydney FC from the board and player's agent are working very hard for this transfer and I hope we make a deal."

Beanie
18-05-2010, 12:45 PM
From the Croydon Guardian - Popo mentioned

Sydney FC manager Vitezslav Lavicka says Nick Carle is close to joining the Australian champions.

The Crystal Palace midfielder, currently away with the Socceroos World Cup squad, was out of favour at SE25 for most of this season, making just 14 league starts.

Lavicka revealed he was in advanced negotiations with Carle, with assistant coach Tony Popovic, a former captain at Palace, playing a major role.

"Negotiations are still going but we'd like to finish maybe this week but it's unpredictable," he told au.fourfourtwo.com.

"I think Carle is the right stone for our philosophy and strategy but it's hard to say now.

"We're working, every person at Sydney FC from the board and player's agent are working very hard for this transfer and I hope we make a deal."
There's a longer version of this that refers to Popovic close links to the Palace board - a major acheivement I reckon at the moment.

JamTheEagle
18-05-2010, 09:22 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6160802,00.html

A-League's Sydney FC are reportedly close to signing Crystal Palace midfielder Nick Carle.

Sydney coach Vitezslav Lavicka has hailed the work of his assistant Tony Popovic in the negotiation process and believes Carle could be a Sky Blues player before the end of the week.

Carle, 28, has struggled to secure regular first-team action at Selhurst Park this term and has been linked with a return to Australia in recent months.
Working hard

"[Popovic] is working very hard because his relationship with the Crystal Palace board is very close. He's a very important part of this transfer," Lavicka told au.fourfourtwo.com.

"Negotiations are still going but maybe we'd like to finish maybe this week but it's unpredictable, hard to say.

"I think [Carle] is the right stone for our philosophy and strategy but it's hard to say now. We're working, every person at Sydney FC from the board and player's agent is working very hard for this transfer and I hope we make a deal."

CPFC_DAVE77
18-05-2010, 09:24 PM
I don't understand the financial/legal terms and situations that are mentioned on other threads. But if we get a fee that at least some way goes to keeping the club running until (hopefully) the consortium buy us, it'll be the best thing Carle has done for the club.

gold76
19-05-2010, 07:09 AM
With Danns, Ambrose & Carle linked with moves & Derry & Ertl out of contract, we could be a little short in the middle of the park.

Owngoal
19-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Blimey
look what Cahill thinks of our other tanned one - makes you wonder what he could do

Socceroos star Tim Cahill says he really wants Crystal Palace midfielder Nick Carle to make the final squad for next month’s World Cup.

The Everton star believes the Sydney-born Carle can provide a bit of a spark for the Australian squad and has backed him fully to be a part of the final 23 to take on the world in South Africa.

''One hundred per cent, I want him to make the cut,'' Cahill said.

''Nicky knows I'm there for him on and off the park, he knows how I feel. So does the manager, everyone does. Technically, he's one of the best players I've played with. We've played against each other since I was 10 years old, I've also played with him on occasions, so we're very close. As a footballer, I feel he hasn't got the credit he should have. I've felt he should have played higher, but for whatever reason he's just missed out.”

Cahill added that there is no doubt in his mind that the 28-year old is ready to bring his best to the big stage and says he would have no problems picking him if he was the coach.

''If I was a coach I would pick him. Definitely. I know what he brings to the team. He can break a defence with that no-look pass, that bit of skill. There's something special about him,” he added.

“I play at Everton with Mikel Arteta and he knows where I am without even looking. With Nicky, there's that same spark. For me, players who are going to help me score, help create things for other players in the team, they're pretty important in something as big as the World Cup.''

TonysMumsabitch
20-05-2010, 01:35 AM
I think it would be the wrong move for Carle to come back to Australia right now. He should stay at Palace, in the Championship and keep fighting for a first team spot. He is capable at Championship level and just needs to persist.

kayjay
20-05-2010, 02:15 AM
As mentioned before, the A-League is about the equal standard of League 1.
Nicky is better than that!

Farawayeagle
20-05-2010, 02:50 AM
He'd be crazy to come back.

My understanding is he doesn't want to do anything until he knows if he is going to the World Cup and until he knows what is happening at Palace re new owners and new manager.

Poppa is talking to him but no decision is imminent.

I suspect Poppa's "board" connections means Phil Alexander.

Interesting that he is really wanted by Sydney Manager, Lavicka who is a highly rated coach (ex-Czech U-21s) and by Cahill but we have some people on here saying he is crap. Go figure.

He has been badly used by Palace - often out of position and as someone said when Hart used him he was getting great reviews until he picked up his calf injury.

Farawayeagle
20-05-2010, 03:11 AM
Front left

Dom the Eagle
20-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Front left

Why isn't Xjelko Kalac in that photo?

Skid Row
20-05-2010, 03:40 AM
Why isn't Xjelko Kalac in that photo?
Because he was outside the stadium acting as one of the light towers.

Beatleboy
20-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Lets hope he makes the Aussie team, has a blinding World Cup, and we get back our money for him!

Voldo
21-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Lets hope he makes the Aussie team, has a blinding World Cup, and we get back our money for him!

Or a regular in our side.....

gold76
21-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Or a regular in our side.....

Crossroads time for him

I think he could be a mainstay in the side next season.

nomad
21-05-2010, 08:21 PM
He's crap.

Time to get rid :hi:

Very constructive. Bit of a football purist are you? You may remember when he played for a side who liked to play football on the ground like Bristol City that he bossed the midfield. Hardly his fault if Colin anf then Paul Hart preferred to play hoofball bypassing the midfield.

Nelson Muntz
21-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Very constructive. Bit of a football purist are you? You may remember when he played for a side who liked to play football on the ground like Bristol City that he bossed the midfield. Hardly his fault if Colin anf then Paul Hart preferred to play hoofball bypassing the midfield.
Nick Carle hasn't bossed any midfield in this country, not for Bristol City (they bit our hands off) or Crystal Palace.

Riccardo
21-05-2010, 08:25 PM
HI, I'm Nick Carle.

I'm going to Wankwanspor in Turkey.

Thanks for everything (cough).

http://z.about.com/d/islam/1/0/f/turkey.jpg

nomad
21-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Nick Carle hasn't bossed any midfield in this country, not for Bristol City (they bit our hands off) or Crystal Palace.

He did against us in the play-offs or did you miss those games?

Nelson Muntz
21-05-2010, 08:29 PM
No, I saw them, but I don't remember Carle bossing either game, in fact in the 2nd leg he never got a kick. In the first match he squared the ball to another Bristol City player who hit a beaut to score a late goal.

Cartoon Head
21-05-2010, 09:10 PM
He did against us in the play-offs or did you miss those games?

I think you're thinking of the league game that season when we beat them 2-0 at selhurst,he looked their best player then,i don't remember him standing out in the play off games.

glaziers fan
21-05-2010, 11:26 PM
he was the best player in their win 1st leg. he ran the game which made me excited when we signed him. has yet to boss a game for us i agree. :(

<_tece_>
22-05-2010, 12:08 AM

Him and Danns vs. Birmingham.

Though I suppose this proves your point. 1 game in 2 seasons is not good enough.

I'm really sorry to say this as I am a big Carle fan.

PhyshtaMagishta
22-05-2010, 12:35 AM
don't really remember him having a bad game after warnock left... just never looked fully match fit though, hence never lasting more that about 65mins. I am in the camp that believes he could have been a massive player for us... never had a proper chance this season.

Still imagine he's on pretty big wages, so probably is going to have to go. would have loved to have seen an extended run of danns and carle in the middle, ambrose on left and scannell or whoever on right... if that line up had gelled we could have ripped teams apart i reckon...

I am drunk though

Palace Rebel
22-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Socceroos star Tim Cahill says he really wants Crystal Palace midfielder Nick Carle to make the final squad for next month’s World Cup.

The Everton star believes the Sydney-born Carle can provide a bit of a spark for the Australian squad and has backed him fully to be a part of the final 23 to take on the world in South Africa.

''One hundred per cent, I want him to make the cut,'' Cahill said.

''Nicky knows I'm there for him on and off the park, he knows how I feel. So does the manager, everyone does. Technically, he's one of the best players I've played with. We've played against each other since I was 10 years old, I've also played with him on occasions, so we're very close. As a footballer, I feel he hasn't got the credit he should have. I've felt he should have played higher, but for whatever reason he's just missed out.”

Cahill added that there is no doubt in his mind that the 28-year old is ready to bring his best to the big stage and says he would have no problems picking him if he was the coach.

''If I was a coach I would pick him. Definitely. I know what he brings to the team. He can break a defence with that no-look pass, that bit of skill. There's something special about him,” he added.

“I play at Everton with Mikel Arteta and he knows where I am without even looking. With Nicky, there's that same spark. For me, players who are going to help me score, help create things for other players in the team, they're pretty important in something as big as the World Cup.''

AddiscombeCPFC
22-05-2010, 05:13 PM
It's all very well people talking him up but actions speak louder than words. Fact is he has never justified his price tag or apparent reputation at palace. People remember one good game playing for bristol against us but the fact they let him go so easily showed he wasn't a key player they wanted to keep hold off. A class player would've forced his way into the team whatever tactics favoured by the management. If he goes I won't be too bothered.

All_Fired_Up
25-05-2010, 03:51 AM
It is in the Sydney Morning Herald :

Sydney FC hope to unveil Socceroos midfielder Nicky Carle as their new marquee player by the end of the week.

While a last-minute hitch has delayed the contract being signed, it's understood a three-year deal has been essentially agreed. Carle has been told he has been dropped from the World Cup squad, but Sky Blues boss Vitezslav Lavicka remains a passionate admirer and has doggedly pursued Carle's signature for more than six months.

The breakthrough came last weekend when Carle's former club, Crystal Palace, agreed to release him on a free transfer. The Eagles are currently in administration, and while Carle had two years remaining on his deal, club officials want his wages off the books as they try to rebuild after flirting with relegation to England's third-tier. Crystal Palace have demanded one condition in return - a significant percentage of any future transfer.

TonysMumsabitch
25-05-2010, 04:06 AM
He's as good as gone.

Palace should be looking to extract some $$$ from The Scum though, none of this free transfer business when he still has 2 years to run on his contract.

Skid Row
25-05-2010, 04:12 AM
My thoughts exactly.

whoisdanze?
25-05-2010, 04:36 AM
He's as good as gone.

Palace should be looking to extract some $$$ from The Scum though, none of this free transfer business when he still has 2 years to run on his contract.

agreed. pretty odd considering how wealthy, relatively speaking, scum fc are. shame he didn't make the cut for the world cup though.

Skid Row
25-05-2010, 05:09 AM
shame he didn't make the cut for the world cup though.
Shame Brett Holman did. But I suppose he was probably one of the first selected. :sob:

whoisdanze?
25-05-2010, 05:14 AM
Shame Brett Holman did. But I suppose he was probably one of the first selected. :sob:

Fvcking tell me about it. I was crushed when he scored that goal in the dying seconds. where can I find a list of the final squad?

TonysMumsabitch
25-05-2010, 05:21 AM
I think Holman will end up proving a lot of people wrong down the track.

TonysMumsabitch
25-05-2010, 05:22 AM
Fvcking tell me about it. I was crushed when he scored that goal in the dying seconds. where can I find a list of the final squad?
Squad is to be trimmed down to 28 today, and those 28 will fly to South Africa. Thereafter the squad will be reduced down to 23, sometime around June 1st.

TonysMumsabitch
25-05-2010, 05:24 AM
The 28 are as follows:

Goalkeepers: Mark Schwarzer, Adam Federici, Brad Jones, Eugene Galekovic.

Defenders: Scott Chipperfield, David Carney, Lucas Neill, Michael Beauchamp, Shane Lowry, Craig Moore, Mark Milligan, Rhys Williams, Luke Wilkshire.

Midfielders: Vince Grella, Carl Valeri, Jason Culina, Mile Jedinak, Tim Cahill, Brett Holman, Dario Vidosic, Mark Bresciano, Brett Emerton, Richard Garcia, James Holland, Tommy Oar.

Strikers: Nikita Rukavytsya, Josh Kennedy, Harry Kewell.

It's a mistake from Pim to not select Scott McDonald. But I am not surprised.

whoisdanze?
25-05-2010, 05:33 AM
The 28 are as follows:

Goalkeepers: Mark Schwarzer, Adam Federici, Brad Jones, Eugene Galekovic.

Defenders: Scott Chipperfield, David Carney, Lucas Neill, Michael Beauchamp, Shane Lowry, Craig Moore, Mark Milligan, Rhys Williams, Luke Wilkshire.

Midfielders: Vince Grella, Carl Valeri, Jason Culina, Mile Jedinak, Tim Cahill, Brett Holman, Dario Vidosic, Mark Bresciano, Brett Emerton, Richard Garcia, James Holland, Tommy Oar.

Strikers: Nikita Rukavytsya, Josh Kennedy, Harry Kewell.

It's a mistake from Pim to not select Scott McDonald. But I am not surprised.

agreed 100% about mcdonald, but disagree about holman. garcia is a plank and I don't know why we are taking 3 keepers.

TonysMumsabitch
25-05-2010, 05:38 AM
4 keepers mate, :D

Holman has had some bad moments, but you don't play week-in, week-out in the Ere Divisie ... as well as being the only Aussie this season to play in the Champions League without having some ability. Not saying he's a world-beater - but definitely worthy to be in the squad.

philaire
25-05-2010, 05:59 AM
Absolute disgrace to cut Carle, but you could see it coming.

McDonald has every right to be totally frustrated. Again last night he was a lone figure being provided zero service. At least he touched the ball, which is more than you could say for Rukavytsya.

philaire
25-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Holman has had some bad moments, but you don't play week-in, week-out in the Ere Divisie He started in 18 out of 34 games this season, and came on 5 times as sub, so it wasn't quite week-in, week-out.

TonysMumsabitch
25-05-2010, 06:15 AM
He started in 18 out of 34 games this season, and came on 5 times as sub, so it wasn't quite week-in, week-out.

Far better than Bresciano and Grella combined though ... which is telling.

Farawayeagle
25-05-2010, 06:25 AM
He started in 18 out of 34 games this season, and came on 5 times as sub, so it wasn't quite week-in, week-out.

Similar to Nicky he started 17 and came on as sub 9 games.

Madden
25-05-2010, 06:34 AM
I guess Arnold will be steering the ship again, after Pim's departure following the WC?

TonysMumsabitch
25-05-2010, 06:38 AM
I guess Arnold will be steering the ship again, after Pim's departure following the WC?

God I hope not.

:(

Reps AJ
25-05-2010, 06:44 AM
which is more than you could say for Rukavytsya.

Thats easy for you to say

tedguest86
25-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Season 08-09 when i was there with my season ticket and Carle was playing i thought he was doing really well. So much so that i went and got him on my top, next season he didn't even get a look in. I think our style of play didn't suit him but am worried that we are looking to sell Derry, Ambrose and Carle.. who is gonna play in the center?? Mat L??

philaire
25-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Far better than Bresciano and Grella combined though ... which is telling.Well let's not let facts get in the way TMAB :rolleyes: Grella 17 games this season for Blackburn, 19 games this season for Palermo. However, admit that Bresc in particular is way short of match practice - last game back in Feb. As for Grella, after last night I'd be tempted never to play him again for Australia - but then again we have fewer options now after cutting Nicky.

philaire
25-05-2010, 06:56 AM
I guess Arnold will be steering the ship again, after Pim's departure following the WC?FFA have said no they will source permanent replacement. The Arnold experiment enough for life.

Farawayeagle
25-05-2010, 07:31 AM
I hope if Nicky signs for Sydney that he rips apart Arnold's CCM next season.
It would be sweet.

The hand of Arnold is strongly in the decision to leave Nicky out of the squad.

Il Padrino
25-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Released on a free?
http://www.smh.com.au/world-cup-2010/world-cup-news/pim-verbeek-cuts-squad-to--28-as-carle-is-set-to-join-sydney-fc-20100525-w9f2.html

Catford Eagle
25-05-2010, 09:14 AM
I think we can at least guarantee that Warnock won't hijack this one.

sydnsteve
25-05-2010, 11:11 AM
I can't believe he's been let go on a free. We'll have no ******* team left soon.

DaveP
25-05-2010, 11:29 AM
A free transfer!!!!

Thats crazy for someone only halfway through a contract when we paid 1 million for him.

It's becoming basically clear now that the top wage earners are all being let go.

CPFC_DAVE77
25-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Actually. Everyone on here that thinks Carle is the greatest player ever to sit on our bench must see this as a good deal? A free transfer, with a BIG sell on clause, which it says we are negotiating should be fine right? All those that demand he starts will be proven right if he storms it for Sidney, and ends up getting a big money move. If he just ends up warming their bench, he aint worth much mroe than we will be getting, once again, he is Warnock's worst signing.

gold76
25-05-2010, 11:57 AM
No Ambrose or Carle, Derry out of contract too..

I'm not saying I don't rate N'Diaye, but he's very raw & I don't think he's ready for 40+ matches

CPFC_DAVE77
25-05-2010, 12:02 PM
No Ambrose or Carle, Derry out of contract too..

I'm not saying I don't rate N'Diaye, but he's very raw & I don't think he's ready for 40+ matches

If there's a contract on offer, I doubt Ertl will turn us down, plus we currently still have Danns.

I have every faith in the youth choaches here, but, in light of Derry and Ertl both being otu of contract, N'Diaye being as you say very rare and Ambrose all but gone/Danns sort after; does letting low budget Comley leave on a free seem a tad short sighted squad wise?

gold76
25-05-2010, 12:05 PM
would be good if we could secure both Johnny Ertl & Danny Butterfield on new deals.

Voldo
25-05-2010, 12:17 PM
It really is getting desperate now.

Stavros 69
25-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I really want to keep carle, esp if we lose Ambrose. He'll be vital in us staying up and providing some attacking outlet.

Ralph
25-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Crikey - obviously we'll not exist at all next year without this takeover but even with it going ahead, next season aint going to be pretty.

Stellavista
25-05-2010, 12:56 PM
If there's a contract on offer, I doubt Ertl will turn us down

He might, if he sees all his mates have gone.

cpfcfan1
25-05-2010, 05:54 PM
He has signed a 3 year deal according to Tribal,

Thats official ;)

Dal
25-05-2010, 07:08 PM
The wage bill is clearly being slashed.

I suspect we will have a totally new wage structure in place next season.

Oh south london
25-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Releasing Carle on a free would be a stupid decision. This is a player we can get a fee for. Our squad really is being torn apart rapidly. With or without the takeover it looks like we are in for a long hard battle next season.

elgin eagle
25-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Releasing Carle on a free would be a stupid decision. This is a player we can get a fee for. Our squad really is being torn apart rapidly. With or without the takeover it looks like we are in for a long hard battle next season.

^

i'm all for getting the wage bill down to an affordable level, but surely we could get 250k for him from somewhere, rather than give him away when he has time left on his contract.

If Speroni is next the 5/2 the bookies have us at to go down looks like a fair bet, unless the consortium really hit the floor running.

Scoot
25-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Begs the question, what was the ******** point in staying up. Cos with no team we are in sh!t street next season

Bobsta
25-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Gutted

m_reid
25-05-2010, 08:32 PM
free?? its for 650,000 according to tribal football, although i know they're not the most reliable

cpfcfan1
25-05-2010, 08:58 PM
That would be his wages

Jason
25-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Begs the question, what was the ******** point in staying up. Cos with no team we are in sh!t street next season

Because bying up, going down next season will mean league one the year after that. Had we gone down, we would probably have still been in a relegation battle next year, with league 2 lbecoming a real possibility.

Put another way. If it all goes wrong next season and we're relegated, we end up in a no worse place than we would already be but for the players heroric efforts keeping us in this league

philsick
25-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Depressing stuff

gold76
25-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Not as bothered as the presumed loss of Derry, Hill (the Bite!) & Ambrose (the goals!) however it's another "body" which will leave us short for a 46 game season.

NZsparky
25-05-2010, 09:50 PM
free?? its for 650,000 according to tribal football, although i know they're not the most reliable
Thats $ dude and your right not reliable so it is probably in Zimbabwe $

Jason
25-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Thats $ dude and your right not reliable so it is probably in Zimbabwe $

Well if it was accurate (big if!), that would equate to c300k. Gotta be honest and say I'd be happy with that under the circumstances

sw16girl
25-05-2010, 10:45 PM

The club has been trying to get rid of him for a year - his wages are too high for any team that might be interested to touch him. However now he has less time on his contract he should be able to go on a free as the new club are not bound to pay him that much for too long. We haven't been able to sell him when we were out of admin - unlikely we will be able to do so now.

Farawayeagle
25-05-2010, 10:45 PM
That 650 would be his Sydney salary
All reports say Brenda is letting go on a free

TonysMumsabitch
26-05-2010, 02:14 AM
All reports say Brenda is letting go on a free
And this administrator is supposed to be a financial guru and capable of doing good business?!?!

What a fecking joke, seriously.

:veryangry

saul1664
26-05-2010, 02:45 AM
And this administrator is supposed to be a financial guru and capable of doing good business?!?!

What a fecking joke, seriously.

:veryangry

No, he bankrupted Luton. His fees for administrator for them in a relatively short space of time was 1 million. Isn't this a staggeringly show of lack of ambition on Nickys part?

TonysMumsabitch
26-05-2010, 03:06 AM
No, he bankrupted Luton. His fees for administrator for them in a relatively short space of time was 1 million. Isn't this a staggeringly show of lack of ambition on Nickys part?
Yes it is, but as I said when we first signed him at Palace - he's a fickle lad. Never stays put. Never seems happy. He wants to be the big fish in a smaller pond again it seems. He's now joined my most hated team on the planet so he can go and feck himself.

philaire
26-05-2010, 03:59 AM
Isn't this a staggeringly show of lack of ambition on Nickys part?He didn't particularly enjoy playing in Turkey, chucked out by Bristol C after 6 months, and couldn't get a regular gig with us. So his options in Europe would probably have been League 1 in England, or minor stuff on the continent. Marquee player for the current A-league champions (approx League 1 standard) and home comforts would sound ok in that context.

philaire
26-05-2010, 04:05 AM
Never stays put. Never seems happy. Well you're quick to abandon him! I doubt it was his decision to leave City, and over the last two years he has remained consistently upbeat and positive in interviews, both with regards to Palace and his chances with the national team. This in a context where he could have easily stated he was unhappy on both fronts. Find me a quote where he stated he was keen to leave Palace. The "Carle leaving Palace" stuff was coming from Warnock earlier in the year as I recall.

TonysMumsabitch
26-05-2010, 04:12 AM
Well you're quick to abandon him! I doubt it was his decision to leave City, and over the last two years he has remained consistently upbeat and positive in interviews, both with regards to Palace and his chances with the national team. This in a context where he could have easily stated he was unhappy on both fronts. Find me a quote where he stated he was keen to leave Palace. The "Carle leaving Palace" stuff was coming from Warnock earlier in the year as I recall.

As soon as someone even starts to look like they're wearing baby blue, they're dead in my eyes.

:D

Clapham Grand
26-05-2010, 08:17 AM
another big earner off the wage bill - fair enough. Shame - I liked him as a player

Stavros 69
26-05-2010, 09:02 AM
What a total ******* joke. I'm so angry. A free is a joke.

Whyteleafe_Sage
26-05-2010, 09:23 AM
What a total ******* joke. I'm so angry. A free is a joke.

Sounds like no one was willing to pay for him, so getting him off the wage bill's the next best thing. Still concerned that unless QPR are willing to pay 750k up front for Ambrose (outside of a transfer window, remember, so they can't actually register him until 1st July) we still have some selling to do to meet the May, let alone June, wages...

CPFC_DAVE77
26-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Maybe NW thinks he is helping be repaying some of the million he wated on Carle by buying Ambrose of us?

I don't really think that.

cpfcben
26-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Couldn't give a to$$ he's gone. Nice guy, but flattered to deceive. Off the wage bill is good news.

Aaroncpfc
26-05-2010, 09:55 AM
I feel sorry for him that he hasn't made the Aussie World Cup trim. Nobody rates Brett Holman, he's only there because he plays for a good club and has been with the national team for a while.

The Gerry Queen
26-05-2010, 10:15 AM
QPR can find a decent clue here about Warnock's ability to make big money signings. To sign a player for 1,000.000 in July 2008 and let him go on a free transfer in May 2010. Not good. Makes Kuqi look like good business !

Not the most ideal circumstances for him to play in England but I think he has now found his true level back hom in Sydney

As for Palace ? It's clear that he was one of the biggest earners so letting him go is going to save a lot of cash. If it is true that the other 3 have gone to QPR as well we must have at least slashed the wage bill by over 150k a month or around 1.6m a year off an annual total of 9.6m I reckon. So our annual wage bill is down to 8m. This is now approaching the kind of figure which CPFC2010 will want to begin with before reducing it further with contract negotiations , following the takeover, leading to a new radically slimmer wage structure. I think that this is part of the takeover strategy for sure.

GrahamS
26-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I can understand that people are angry that we're not getting a fee, but in addition to the fact that in the last 12 months the only interest has been a vague loan deal that fell through, the chances are he's due a loyalty payment and could have deferred some of his wages all which Sydney are willing to pay if they don't have to pay an actual transfer fee.

If he's amongst the big earners (more than 8000 a week) it's better that he goes as IF we keep Danns and N'Daiye I think they're better options as attacking central midfielders. As an attacking midfielder 5 goals in nearly 70 appearances is hardly setting the world alight for a seasoned professional...

The Gerry Queen
26-05-2010, 10:27 AM
If you were Long and Parish and you were looking at the books, when it came to Nick Carle and you saw that with his transfer fee and wages alone he had cost the club 1.84m ( not including bonuses) , I don't think that they would have wasted a milisecond coming to the conclusion that he had to go. For the record that's 26k an appearance or 368k a goal ! Productivity ? We are fortunate that Sydney are prepared to pay him enough to drop his contract rights !

Farawayeagle
26-05-2010, 12:16 PM
If you were Long and Parish and you were looking at the books, when it came to Nick Carle and you saw that with his transfer fee and wages alone he had cost the club 1.84m ( not including bonuses) , I don't think that they would have wasted a milisecond coming to the conclusion that he had to go. For the record that's 26k an appearance or 368k a goal ! Productivity ? We are fortunate that Sydney are prepared to pay him enough to drop his contract rights !

You could do that calculation for a few others and come to the same conclusion.

He was a waste of money because Warnock either didn't play him or played him out of position. Hart got better performances from him.

Farawayeagle
26-05-2010, 12:23 PM
He's going to Sydney because the Manager and Assistant Tony Popovic have been very keen on him for some time. They want him -- and Lavicka plays a style which will suit him. It's not a question of finding his level. If Warnock had used him properly we would have seen a different player. Instead we had Mick Jones saying he didn't fit our style (long ball) after NW had spent recklessly on Nicky.

Nicky Knows the Sydney set up well after training with them at the beginning of the last Aussie season. FC are very professional.

Adlerhorst
26-05-2010, 12:27 PM
FC are very professional.They employed Benito Carbone.

eagle mart
26-05-2010, 05:06 PM
He is our most naturally gifted player.

Am gutted, he is a couple of % short of a 100% of being a absolutely class player. I can't work out what he was missing, I thought maybe decision making... but with him and Ambrose gawn..... so much pressure on Danns, if he is still here.

Absolute steal as a free.

Adlerhorst
26-05-2010, 05:38 PM
He is our most naturally gifted player.

Am gutted, he is a couple of % short of a 100% of being a absolutely class player. I can't work out what he was missing, I thought maybe decision making... but with him and Ambrose gawn..... so much pressure on Danns, if he is still here.

Absolute steal as a free.Forget the total one footedness and the lack of any sort of pace, the problem was the speed of thought was not there, too many times he made the wrong decision, and too many times when he actually made the right decision he made it too late.

Trilby
27-05-2010, 06:35 AM
http://www.sydneyfc.com/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=33755

pap
27-05-2010, 07:05 AM
2 down, how many left to go :(

nutmeister
27-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Genuinely sorry that he is leaving. He is clearly very talented but has never achieved consistently with us. Having said that he has never been given a good run in the team and seemed to be a player who needed to play regularly to develop confidence.
Wish him luck for the future.

Stavros 69
27-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Will this be in FYP?

xab
27-05-2010, 07:43 AM
It's not a question of finding his level. If Warnock had used him properly we would have seen a different player. Instead we had Mick Jones saying he didn't fit our style (long ball) after NW had spent recklessly on Nicky.

Bollocks! If our style was just long ball then Derry, Danns and Ambrose wouldn't have all been fantastic this season. Carle has never managed to turn his potential into actual, which is a shame, but there you go.

Farawayeagle
27-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Bollocks! If our style was just long ball then Derry, Danns and Ambrose wouldn't have all been fantastic this season. Carle has never managed to turn his potential into actual, which is a shame, but there you go.

it's not bollocks

Mick jones is on record as saying
nickys style didn't suit the style nw wanted to play
So they left him on the bench for most of the season
As I said before hart seemed to get more out of him until he picked up an injury near the end of the season

the players you mention got more regular game time to show what they could do

Trilby
27-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Will this be in FYP?
Streety is penning a goodbye love sonnet as we speak.

kolinkins
27-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Forget the total one footedness and the lack of any sort of pace, the problem was the speed of thought was not there, too many times he made the wrong decision, and too many times when he actually made the right decision he made it too late.

^^

I've said it on many occassions since he signed - it's his late decision making that stops him being a real quality.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
27-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Is this a free transfer?

kolinkins
27-05-2010, 09:51 AM
it's not bollocks

Mick jones is on record as saying
nickys style didn't suit the style nw wanted to play
So they left him on the bench for most of the season
As I said before hart seemed to get more out of him until he picked up an injury near the end of the season

the players you mention got more regular game time to show what they could do

but where would he have played? Ambrose was scoring for fun, Danns was our engine room, and Derry did a thankless yet invaluable job. Then, post Scunny, Ertl came into the mix and was a key part of our team.

We were on the brink of the play-offs with that combo. But then admin came, and both Warnock and Hart used Carle when there was little other option. Other than Sheffield Utd at home, he just never got a game by the scruff of the neck and made it his.

Dal
27-05-2010, 09:58 AM
He's on big money and those days are over for Palace.

jono cp
27-05-2010, 10:07 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27185969-5000940,00.html

he's gone.

Farawayeagle
27-05-2010, 10:15 AM
but where would he have played? Ambrose was scoring for fun, Danns was our engine room, and Derry did a thankless yet invaluable job. Then, post Scunny, Ertl came into the mix and was a key part of our team.

We were on the brink of the play-offs with that combo. But then admin came, and both Warnock and Hart used Carle when there was little other option. Other than Sheffield Utd at home, he just never got a game by the scruff of the neck and made it his.

That's what I mean. Why did Warnock sign him in the first place.

As for getting the game by the scruff of the neck -- he never got the extended chance to do that that others did. Derry started 53 games Danns 48 Ambrose 51 Ertl 33 -- while Nicky got a sporadic 17 games. Hard to make an impact like that.

Just heard him interviewed on the radio here in Sydney. He had admiration for Warnock.

"An absolute legend in the game" he said. But he felt NW never got the best out of him because of the style he asked him to play. He said he always left the field feeling he could have done better - meaning playing to his strengths.

He handled the whole thing including his exclusion from the Aussie WC squad with his usual dignity.

kolinkins
27-05-2010, 10:18 AM
That's what I mean. Why did Warnock sign him in the first place.

As for getting the game by the scruff of the neck -- he never got the extended chance to do that that others did. Derry started 53 games Danns 48 Ambrose 51 -- while Nicky got a sporadic 17 games. Hard to make an impact like that.

Just heard him interviewed on the radio here in Sydney. He had admiration for Warnock.

"An absolute legend in the game" he said. But he felt NW never got the best out of him because of the style he asked him to play. He said he always left the field feeling he could have done better - meaning playing to his strengths.

He handled the whole thing including his exclusion from the Aussie WC squad with his usual dignity.

He started 37 league games in his first season - his performances meant even N'Diaye was prefered at the start of last season.

But credit to Nick - when he played, he gave 100%. When he didnt start, he never complained. He always warmed up as a sub with the right attitude, and never sulked.

Best of luck in the future Nick, sorry it didn't work out for you at Palace.

pauldrulez
27-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Didn't fit in with Warnock's style of play.

Looked much better and fitter under Hart.

Got injured at the wrong time.

Good Luck to him.

Farawayeagle
27-05-2010, 10:35 AM
He started 37 league games in his first season - his performances meant even N'Diaye was prefered at the start of last season.

But credit to Nick - when he played, he gave 100%. When he didnt start, he never complained. He always warmed up as a sub with the right attitude, and never sulked.

Best of luck in the future Nick, sorry it didn't work out for you at Palace.

I agree with you about the attitude. he is always a 100% trier. I talked to him pre season and he was really keen to get going but then NW plumped for N'Diaye because of the style he wanted to play. In the previous season Nicky's fans ratings on HOL were an average of 6.35 while Derry was 6.49 Ambrose 6.75 and Danns 6.57.
So he had a reasonable season.

Oh south london
27-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Was really excited when we signed him. He was our last big money signing.

The Omen
27-05-2010, 11:27 AM
BBC also now covering it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/crystal_palace/8708111.stm

LiamCPFC
27-05-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm sad to see him go, was such a shame we didn't see the player that we had all hoped for too often. His performance in Hart's first game at home to Sheffield United was probably his best, then getting a goal against Blackpool, but then unfortunately picked up an injury.

Just can't believe he has gone on a free (by the sounds of it) when he was under contract and surely selling him for 100k would have been better than releasing him!

gold76
27-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Makes sense in terms of balancing the books.

Never sulked, good luck to him out there.

Will be a long time before we spend 1 million on a player again, but we'd do well to follow Blackpool's template in future, lower league talent, sprinkling of loans & few crafty veterans, 500k spent on Adam their only indulgence.

Typical Palace
27-05-2010, 11:54 AM
For all his potential you've got to say Carle ultimately failed in English football.

As for being Sydney's Marquee player? As big as a tent maybe.

He just isn't the kind of player one spends 1m on. That odious twerp Gary Johnson must have been rubbing his grotty little hands when NW (desperate to replace wantaway Ben Watson) offered what may be the last huge fee we see for many years from Palace. Am I right in saying Carle never completed a full 90 minutes for the Cider Slurpers? Thought I'd heard that somewhere.

Palestinian
27-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Makes sense in terms of balancing the books.

Never sulked, good luck to him out there.

Will be a long time before we spend 1 million on a player again, but we'd do well to follow Blackpool's template in future, lower league talent, sprinkling of loans & few crafty veterans, 500k spent on Adam their only indulgence.
Has to be the way forward, along with the Academy

Typical Palace
27-05-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm sad to see him go, was such a shame we didn't see the player that we had all hoped for too often. His performance in Hart's first game at home to Sheffield United was probably his best, then getting a goal against Blackpool, but then unfortunately picked up an injury.

Just can't believe he has gone on a free (by the sounds of it) when he was under contract and surely selling him for 100k would have been better than releasing him!
Liam, if anyone was prepared to pay 100K for him we would have asked for it.

eagle101
27-05-2010, 11:58 AM
If this hasn't been posted:

Typical Palace
27-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Carle did play 90 minutes for City, but rarely. He did though play all of the PO Home leg at SP and was subbed in ET at Ashtongate.

Nelson Muntz
27-05-2010, 12:10 PM
I think we're lucky to get as much as nothing for him.

Glazier69
27-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I think we're lucky to get as much as nothing for him.

Yes, we most likely still owe Brizzle the 1 mill .... or is that 10k at a penny in the pound? :p

dufski13
27-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Yes, we most likely still owe Brizzle the 1 mill .... or is that 10k at a penny in the pound? :p

Well that would be closer to his true value.
He promised much & delivered so little. All this nonsense about him not getting a chance, 69 appearances says otherwise. All this nonsense about it was our style, Watson flourished in a deeper lying role, Danns flourished in a more advanced role. Truth was, for all the nice little touches, he wasn't good enough for English football's 2nd tier.

Abjekt
27-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Was never really convinced by Carle, he showed the odd glimpse here and there but really that's not enough over 70 matches.

Good luck to him and all that, but yeah, not fussed that he's leaving.

Joooe
27-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Always tried hard, decent bloke - good luck to the guy.

Braders
27-05-2010, 03:16 PM
disappointing in the sense that he is a proper footballer, looking to pass the thing and play the correct way. this has been a bad week :(

Beckenham Boy
27-05-2010, 03:55 PM
http://www.cpfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10323~2060567,00.html

jhc
27-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Never really convinced me, despite the odd impressive display.
Didn't know quite when to release the ball and got caught in possession too often for my liking.
Nevertheless, I'm sure he'll do well at Sydney FC. Great club and great stadium. I'm sure it's for the best all round.
Not one of NW's best signings - certainly not for 1M!
I wish him well.

aderuk1
27-05-2010, 09:55 PM
I thought he had quality as i have said before he ripped us apart durring the play offs was the difference between us and bristol .we just never used him in the right position.
He had undoubted skill on the ball which we lack big time.

maestro
09-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Just seen that Burley is looking for a playmake, shame to see carke go as he could of been a Burley type player,

brooklynlou
09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Never really convinced me, despite the odd impressive display.
Didn't know quite when to release the ball and got caught in possession too often for my liking.
Nevertheless, I'm sure he'll do well at Sydney FC. Great club and great stadium. I'm sure it's for the best all round.
Not one of NW's best signings - certainly not for 1M!
I wish him well.

Its as if he was overly enamored with his own dribbling skill. Like he thought he could pull a Ronaldo move past the player in front of him. More often than not he would just get dispossessed.

Good luck in Sydney.

Typical Palace
08-01-2011, 08:18 PM
ANy Australians care to inform us how Nick's getting on in Oz?

Te Pouakai
08-01-2011, 08:29 PM

No Aussie replies so far - they are probably still crying their eyes out after The Ashes.

As an exiled Brit and soon to be a Kiwi too, I watched Sydney FC beat Gold Coast U 2-0 in the A-League on Sky HD last night. Carle had a good game, being at the heart of most things creative in central midfield, releasing the ball early with his link-up passing and only giving the ball away on a few occasions (that tends to happen a lot in the A-League). Carle also put a lot of energy into the game from start to finish, closing down opponents when not in possession. I haven't watched that much of Sydney FC's games this season (a poor one for them so far in all honesty), but if Carle's performance yesterday was an indicator, he's doing OK.

whoisdanze?
08-01-2011, 08:49 PM

I haven't heard his name mentioned once over here. Maybe he's injured.

Raoul Duke
08-01-2011, 10:24 PM

He's had some injury problems this season but whenever I've seen him play he's been very average. I'd expect him to stand out at that level especially as he's one of the highest earners in the League but his performances have failed to impress anyone.

cpfcfan1
08-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Looking back on this, spending 1 million seems even more crazy

IW_Eagle
08-01-2011, 11:10 PM
On the other hand, Paul Ifil......

Typical Palace
12-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Ifill was a better player for us for 750K than Carle ever was for 1m

Panther
12-01-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm told by my Oz mate that he's managed only a few appearances and is considered a waste of money. Can't remember who he plays for (Sydney FC?) but he was bought in as their "marquee" player, which presumably is meant to mean something special, which he certainly hasn't been.

Latvian Eagle
12-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Marquee player is heir star... I think they're entitled to a lot more money than the rest of the squad. I believe the MLS have a similar sort of thing which is usually Beckham for the Galaxy etc. I know Claudio Reyna went to New York Red Bulls for something ridiculous like 50k but the rest of the players were under a salary cap.

I think in the A League it's the same... The squad has to fit into a Salary cap, but you're allowed on "superstar" or "marquee" player. Robbie Fowler is the Marquee player at Perth Glory.

ChristalPalace
12-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Looking back on this, spending 1 million seems even more crazy

Agreed - particularly given we saw how ineffective he was against us when someone as average as Carl Fletcher marked him out the game.

cpfcfan124
12-01-2011, 11:40 PM
He would be better than the centre midfielders we have at the moment.

Gooders
12-01-2011, 11:44 PM
He really wouldn't.

ChristalPalace
12-01-2011, 11:55 PM
When I think about it, Andy Dorman is a lot like him apart from the fact that Dorman isn't horrifically unfit in the way Carle usually was.

Eddie'S Dad
13-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Ifill was a better player for us for 750K than Carle ever was for 1m

No !

I have never seen a Palace shirt worn by such an lazy, uninterested player as Ifill. I thought he was truly woeful for us.

marky1919
13-01-2011, 12:36 AM
No !

I have never seen a Palace shirt worn by such an lazy, uninterested player as Ifill. I thought he was truly woeful for us.

Though technically speaking, Ifill won us more points!

If I recall correctly, Ifill scored the only goal away to Watford 2 seasons ago and all I can remember Carle doing is grabbing a late equaliser at Sheff Utd?

whoisdanze?
13-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Marquee player is heir star... I think they're entitled to a lot more money than the rest of the squad. I believe the MLS have a similar sort of thing which is usually Beckham for the Galaxy etc. I know Claudio Reyna went to New York Red Bulls for something ridiculous like 50k but the rest of the players were under a salary cap.

I think in the A League it's the same... The squad has to fit into a Salary cap, but you're allowed on "superstar" or "marquee" player. Robbie Fowler is the Marquee player at Perth Glory.

yep. in the a-league clubs are allowed a foreign marquee and a homegrown marquee who are exceptions to the salary cap. carle this season has been a non event, i have not heard his name mentioned once and i follow the a-league.

karl.eldridge
13-01-2011, 01:17 AM
No !

Ifill was Technically a really good player, but he was lazy. If he charged the ball down more he would be brilliant for us.

ChristalPalace
13-01-2011, 10:11 AM
If I recall correctly, Ifill scored the only goal away to Watford 2 seasons ago and all I can remember Carle doing is grabbing a late equaliser at Sheff Utd?

Moses scored a second at Watford a couple of minutes later. Ifill came on and totally changed that game. Only really good performance I ever saw him put in in a Palace shirt.

Latvian Eagle
13-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Ifill was very hit and miss for us. I remember he had a couple of decent spells for us which coincided with a few goals, but then when he couldn't be bothered, he REALLY couldn't be bothered.

Shame as the talent was there... I even forgave him for being ex Millwall... But by the end we had to get rid. Still the goal at Watford was an excellent strike. We were very good that day! :lux: Eagles!!!

Aaroncpfc
13-01-2011, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't say Ifill was lazy, it's just injuries took away any pace or fitness he had to keep up at this level.

Jimmy Eagle
13-01-2011, 11:49 AM
No !

Ummmm, Obika???

Owngoal
13-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Ummmm, Obika???
He was one of the reasons we got into financial trouble and was given chance after chance. An indicator that Warnock is not good with money....

kolinkins
13-01-2011, 12:27 PM
He was one of the reasons we got into financial trouble and was given chance after chance. An indicator that Warnock is not good with money....

Warnock didn't sign him (for Palace) - in fact, he sold him to Palace... (if we're still talking about Iffil)

ChristalPalace
13-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Warnock didn't sign him (for Palace) - in fact, he sold him to Palace... (if we're still talking about Iffil)

Warnock gave him a new contract despite him having a terrible injury record and being pretty poor when he did play barring that one afternoon at Vicarage Road.

A Millwall mate of mine told me when he signed that they used to call him "Iffy," as they never knew which Ifill would turn up...

kolinkins
13-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Don't think Warnock did give a new deal - or at least he didn't sign it

ChristalPalace
13-01-2011, 01:41 PM

http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=82&story=3354

Actually you're right. Signed a two-and-a-half year deal and left two-and-a-half years later.

AJ
13-01-2011, 01:43 PM

Agreed Ifill when his contract expired. He seems to be doing ok over their in NZ, having a 1 in 2 goal scoring record.

Looking at the Wellington Phoenix website, Ifill holds the club record for most games in a season(30) and most goals in a season(13).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_Phoenix_F.C.

Typical Palace
13-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Ifill 68 games 10 goals

Carle 64 games 5 goals

Was surprised Carle even scored 5, can't recall any more than a couple of them, most notably at Bramall

hoskingt
13-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Ifill 68 games 10 goals

Carle 64 games 5 goals

Was surprised Carle even scored 5, can't recall any more than a couple of them, most notably at Bramall
Scored one at Blackpool..

Roadblock
13-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Scored one at Blackpool..

and 1 at home to Swansea in his 1st season

ChristalPalace
13-01-2011, 01:59 PM
One was a penalty at Reading in one of his first games...

Danbrose
13-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Both Carle and Ifill are talented footballers. One struggled with injury and the other struggled with our style of play. If you want to talk about players looking disinterested try aiming your abuse at players like Kennedy or Dorman.

Owngoal
13-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Was talking about Carle - the subject of the thread (silly me, did not realise it had done the usual and gone off topic)

Typical Palace
13-01-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure Dorman's so much disinterested as just not very capable?

hoskingt
05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Just seen him score a fantastic goal on Soccer AM.

Stavros 69
05-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Come back nicky

BulletEagle
05-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Just seen him score a fantastic goal on Soccer AM.
I thought it was him. Twas brilliant.

I noticed on the Sydney FC website they said we were very helpful in the transfer of Nicky Carle with them in the summer, and so they are not too upset about losing Poppa to us. Maybe we could set up some sort of connection?

rhynoeagle
05-02-2011, 11:10 AM
I think he would have been useful when Derry left for us. Big wages though still.

CPFC_Fan
05-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Fantastic goal on Soccer AM. Check it out if you can.

Benzhiyi
05-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Come back nicky

Get out. :o

CPFC_flake
05-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Fantastic goal on Soccer AM. Check it out if you can.

Twas indeed! the skill school aswell this morn on soccer am was :eek: i thought.

whoisdanze?
05-02-2011, 01:59 PM
I noticed on the Sydney FC website they said we were very helpful in the transfer of Nicky Carle with them in the summer, and so they are not too upset about losing Poppa to us. Maybe we could set up some sort of connection?

careful what you wish for. no, no and no.

GodstoneEagle
05-02-2011, 02:24 PM
why?

Neillo's Son
05-02-2011, 02:32 PM
why?

I don't get him either, he raves about the A-League no end but when somebody suggests making a link with them he dismisses it?

beef
05-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Sorry do not rate him at all, didn't think he was great at Brizzle either. Bit of a knee-jerk signing.

whoisdanze?
07-02-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't get him either, he raves about the A-League no end but when somebody suggests making a link with them he dismisses it?

sorry? was that at me? go on mate...

whoisdanze?
07-02-2011, 01:27 PM
why?

from my point of view (i am a melbourne victory supporter and a melbourne boy, so to be fair take that into account), sydney fc is a big name, bums on seats sort of club. they are more likely to acquire a player based on revenue potential rather than actual potential. sydney inherently is not a sporting city (sydneysiders, let fly with the rotten tomatoes). sydney fc is owned by a russian oligach and used to be owned by the head of the australian fa. if, and even though the a league is a brilliant talent pool, we had to align ourselves to one club i would suggest adelaide (i loathe them) good young talent, melbourne heart for the same reason, brisbane or victory. sydney fc sincerely believes it'll be the man utd or real madrid of asia. what i'm trying to say is (i feel, and i bet many agree with me) that the club hasn't/doesn't have it's feet on the ground.

go bloods!

glaziers fan
07-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Sorry do not rate him at all, didn't think he was great at Brizzle either. Bit of a knee-jerk signing.

I used to rate him, on the back off a couple of games vs us for Brizzle. I was wrong, I'll admit it :(

Had talent, but it remained unfulfilled, and that's why he is now back in Aus. Good goal though.

Neillo's Son
07-02-2011, 03:35 PM
sorry? was that at me? go on mate...

Your last reply answered my question to an extent.

I can't claim to have watched the A-League in any great detail, but I do honestly think you rate a bit too highly. I can't think of many A-League players who made it to the World Cup last year with Australia?

cpfcfan1
07-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Nick Carle is a good player, just didnt suit our playing style at the time, would be excelent now imo

jakki
07-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Nick Carle is a good player, just didnt suit our playing style at the time, would be excelent now imo

fully agree. a great player but for the system warnock played, why on earth did he buy him? in this team he'd be brilliant.

whoisdanze?
08-02-2011, 12:27 AM
I can't claim to have watched the A-League in any great detail

thankyou.

the a league is just a new and emerging football league.

sydnsteve
08-02-2011, 09:16 AM
fully agree. a great player but for the system warnock played, why on earth did he buy him? in this team he'd be brilliant.

Based on what?

Nelson Muntz
08-02-2011, 09:19 AM
I hate to blow my own trumpet but............

TopKnot
08-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Can't agree at all, I think he'd be exactly the sort of player we don't need...lightweight, inconsistent, injury prone. He seems to have built his reputation off the back of a few decent months at Bristol City, nothing he has done since has gone any way to justifying that.

hoskingt
08-02-2011, 04:01 PM
I'd like him atm. Technically brilliant and can put a tackle in.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
08-02-2011, 04:12 PM
He seems to have built his reputation off the back of a few decent months at Bristol City

He wasn't even good at Bristol City! They wanted rid as he was a disappointment and only in the team for 'that game' because Lee Johnson was injured.

He had one good game, City wanted rid and couldn't believe their luck when we offered them that much.

crystaljim
08-02-2011, 11:53 PM
from my point of view (i am a melbourne victory supporter and a melbourne boy, so to be fair take that into account), sydney fc is a big name, bums on seats sort of club. they are more likely to acquire a player based on revenue potential rather than actual potential. sydney inherently is not a sporting city (sydneysiders, let fly with the rotten tomatoes). sydney fc is owned by a russian oligach and used to be owned by the head of the australian fa. if, and even though the a league is a brilliant talent pool, we had to align ourselves to one club i would suggest adelaide (i loathe them) good young talent, melbourne heart for the same reason, brisbane or victory. sydney fc sincerely believes it'll be the man utd or real madrid of asia. what i'm trying to say is (i feel, and i bet many agree with me) that the club hasn't/doesn't have it's feet on the ground.

go bloods!

Bollocks the mariners are the perfect fit ! :lux: :lux:

Jason
09-02-2011, 12:41 AM

I think it was probably more a case of not cut out for English football, rather than not suiting Warnock's team. There was no doubting Carle's technical ability, but it always seemed that he lacked the speed (both physically and mentally) to be effective in the hurly burly of the English second tier

Stavros 69
09-02-2011, 09:46 AM
he's better than Garvan.

AJ's right boot
10-02-2011, 03:42 AM
I hate to blow my own trumpet
Really? Id love too, id never leave the house.

jrnicholson
10-02-2011, 05:07 AM
Bollocks the mariners are the perfect fit ! :lux: :lux:

or maybe Newcastle Jets?

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/newcastle-jets-change-team-colours/2071817.aspx
:p

hughff
10-02-2011, 05:11 AM
He scored just about the worst penalty I've ever seen go in against Wellington. First shot was saved but came back out to him. He had time to control it before shooting but it was saved again. The ricochet then hit him in the face and looped in. Bizarre.

AJ's right boot
10-02-2011, 05:23 AM
He scored just about the worst penalty I've ever seen go in against Wellington. First shot was saved but came back out to him. He had time to control it before shooting but it was saved again. The ricochet then hit him in the face and looped in. Bizarre.
Ohhh hope that one gets put on Youtube!

crystaljim
10-02-2011, 08:59 AM

Did it hit him or the Wellington defender? I couldn't tell through the tears of laughter.