PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Morrison signs for Sheff Weds

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

dave_who_ru
14-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Well in announcing today's birthdays Talksport mentioned Clinton Morrison currently with Crystal Palace.

Happy birthday Clinton aged 31.

Chris K
14-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Well in announcing today's birthdays Talksport mentioned Clinton Morrison currently with Crystal Palace.

If so then why put this in the 'Transfer Forum'?

bigend1
14-05-2010, 01:18 PM
If so then why put this in the 'Transfer Forum'?

meow

Thanet Eagle
14-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Talksport. Say no more.

Glazier69
14-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Why do we want a 30-something journeyman at Palace? ;)
.........incoming...............!!

Owngoal
14-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Scowcroft has been released.......

Jason
16-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Why do we want a 30-something journeyman at Palace? ;)
.........incoming...............!!

I know your answer was toungue in cheek, but the simple answer is that apart from perhaps Alan Lee (an that one is a subjective judgment), he is a lot better than any striker currently on our books, and is available on a free transfer. Even without the obvious Palace connections, that would make him a good signing if (and it's a big if) he would accept the kind of wages that our new owners could sensibly afford.

peagle
16-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Eurgh but we only just got rid of him :(

philsick
16-05-2010, 09:42 AM
got rid

Wrong choice of words for a legend methinks.Warnock made him unwelcome anyway.

Always welcome back IMO.

cockles
16-05-2010, 09:44 AM
I know your answer was toungue in cheek, but the simple answer is that apart from perhaps Alan Lee (an that one is a subjective judgment), he is a lot better than any striker currently on our books, and is available on a free transfer. Even without the obvious Palace connections, that would make him a good signing if (and it's a big if) he would accept the kind of wages that our new owners could sensibly afford.

Yes, we'll see if he's realistic in his wage demands won't we. He's had about a 1 in 4 record at Coventry - so we shouldn't push the boat out for him.

Brod
16-05-2010, 09:45 AM
If he takes what I'm sure would be a big wage cut, he's a proven scorer at this level.

But can he still cut it?

100% Palace
16-05-2010, 09:54 AM
hasnt he got a dodgy shoulder?

hughff
16-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I'd welcome him back.

The Gerry Queen
16-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Would be good to have him back as long as he accepted the fact that we can't pay him as much as he was once worth. If he loves Palace as he says he does , he will.

Kiraly_legend
16-05-2010, 10:17 AM
He is Palace. If he takes the wage cut needed, then I would welcome him back!

Palace Rebel
16-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Clint and Scannell upfront next season...

CPFC_DAVE77
16-05-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure we can fit him and Da Nuge in the team.

Cleon
16-05-2010, 10:51 AM
I would be delighted to see Morrison back where he belongs in the Palace sqaud assuming he can agree terms.

ANDYEAGLE
16-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I think Clinton is on something like 10k a week at Coventry.
At 5k a week on a two year deal(total 500k) he would be worth it.

He can still get us a dozen goals a season in that period and we are unlikely to get that from Lee, Scannell or Andrew. Will he take that wage cut to join us or go for more money elsewhere?. On a free there will be someone who will pay him more.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
16-05-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm not sure we can fit him and Da Nuge in the team.

I'm sure a 3-pronged attack with Brian Deane as the targetman will come off nicely.

Carl Asaba on the bench.

Shipp Ahoy!
16-05-2010, 01:36 PM

He can still get us a dozen goals a season in that period and we are unlikely to get that from Lee, Scannell or Andrew. Will he take that wage cut to join us or go for more money elsewhere?. On a free there will be someone who will pay him more.

I guess the question is can we afford 5k a week? I know this would be depending on the takeover but we still have a large wage bill and we can't afford to get back into the old trap of living beyond our means again.

eagle101
16-05-2010, 01:40 PM
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2010/05/04/frustrated-clinton-morrison-warns-coventry-city-over-contract-delay-92746-26371144/#sitelife-comments-bottom

Read the comments - Coventry fans want rid.

ANDYEAGLE
16-05-2010, 01:56 PM
I guess the question is can we afford 5k a week? I know this would be depending on the takeover but we still have a large wage bill and we can't afford to get back into the old trap of living beyond our means again.

It depends on what ceiling the new guys put on wages. Yes probably 5k a week would be top wack now. The thing is if someone said we could buy Clinton for 250k and pay him 2.5k a week over 2 years most would say that would be a good deal. Thats Bosman for you.

AJ
16-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Depends who he replaces? I would bet that both Lee and John earn much more than 5k a week.

jams1234
16-05-2010, 02:01 PM
If Coleman joins us, you can bet your life Clinton will return-he has appeared in all but one game for Coventry in his 2 year spell.

eagle101
16-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Depends who he replaces? I would bet that both Lee and John earn much more than 5k a week.

I can't remember if it was CG/Sandown/E_Girl who mentioned it, but Lee is our top earner. (I think) He and Ambrose combined is 100k pm! :eek: Will try and find the post.

LiamCPFC
16-05-2010, 02:07 PM
If Coleman joins us, you can bet your life Clinton will return-he has appeared in all but one game for Coventry in his 2 year spell.

Was just thinking exactly the same. And maybe it's just Coventry wanting to get their new manager sorted before offering Clinton a contract, no point signing him up on a pretty decent wage if the new boss comes in and doesn't rate him or prefers others.

ANDYEAGLE
16-05-2010, 02:21 PM
I can't remember if it was CG/Sandown/E_Girl who mentioned it, but Lee is our top earner. (I think) He and Ambrose combined is 100k pm! :eek: Will try and find the post.

I think that Ambrose is reputed to be be the highest earner on 11k a week and Lee about 8-9k a week. As we got Ambrose on a free I can believe this.

I have always liked Lee,but on those wages and the fact we paid a fee for him
it would not make Clinton on a freebie 5k a week look a bad deal.

We all know that the club cannot afford the old wage regime. If players like Ambrose have to go to keep us solvent in the future, so be it.

David Amsalem
16-05-2010, 02:23 PM

Please do. I'm amazed if true re: Lee...

rhynoeagle
16-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Please do. I'm amazed if true re: Lee...

I wouldnt be suprised if Lee was our top earner. He had quite a repuatation before joining.

Ambrose and Carle I imagen are the next highest earners.

eagle101
16-05-2010, 02:27 PM
See this thread: http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8530786#post8530666

peagle
16-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Always welcome back IMO.
I don't consider Morrison a legend.

Oh south london
16-05-2010, 02:31 PM
The BBS is obsessed with Morrison. I like him as much as the next but would not be that much or a miss if we could not get him. If Dougie is still at the club I doubt he would be here anyways as I thought they did not get on.

Crunchie
16-05-2010, 02:40 PM

I didn't think John will be here next season?

Hedgehog
16-05-2010, 02:50 PM
If Dougie is still at the club I doubt he would be here anyways as I thought they did not get on.
I took it more as two guys that were chalk and cheese or black and white if you want (not in a racial way, although that is bloody obvious!) that have nothing in common away from the football pitch, but when on it made a great team, and someone Clinton might actually respect enough to want to work with again.

But I don't obviously know that is how their relationship is, just how I've always heard it was.

Il Padrino
16-05-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't consider Morrison a legend.

youth team player that goes on to become one of our highest ever goalscorers? You must have very tough criteria

peagle
16-05-2010, 02:54 PM
youth team player that goes on to become one of our highest ever goalscorers? You must have very tough criteria
I've had this argument on here too many times :( I believe that being a legend is about more than scoring goals or being here a long time. It's an attitude thing as well. It's about being a leader on and off the pitch and a good role model. There are and should only be a very few legends.

eagle101
16-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I've had this argument on here too many times :( I believe that being a legend is about more than scoring goals or being here a long time. It's an attitude thing as well. It's about being a leader on and off the pitch and a good role model. There are and should only be a very few legends.

You do know that Clinton was often seen at youth and reserve games, and was a huge help to Scannell and Moses in their breakthrough seasons?

He loves Palace.

jams1234
16-05-2010, 03:06 PM
No, Ambrose must stay :love: :sob:

Brod
16-05-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm sure a 3-pronged attack with Brian Deane as the targetman will come off nicely.

Carl Asaba on the bench.

Yeah, but if we sign Morrison, will he hit it off with Messi?

peagle
16-05-2010, 03:44 PM
You do know that Clinton was often seen at youth and reserve games
To be fair I didn't know that and I'm well aware that what I know/have seen almost certainly just scratches the surface of Clinton's time at Palace. I was merely judging by what I have personally seen on the pitch and in interviews.

eagle101
16-05-2010, 03:46 PM
To be fair I didn't know that and I'm well aware that what I know/have seen almost certainly just scratches the surface of Clinton's time at Palace. I was merely judging by what I have personally seen on the pitch and in interviews.

Fair enough - I have to say, he's not always very... 'tactful' in interviews :D

Biggineagle
16-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Clint and Scannell upfront next season...

Other teams will be terrified:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jason
16-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Other teams will be terrified:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Will be enough to keep us in this division imho, and realistically that is the aim for next season

The Gerry Queen
16-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Will be enough to keep us in this division imho, and realistically that is the aim for next season

Blackpool were relegatioin favourites at the start of the season. QPR were up with the relegated prem sides as favourites to go up. Be careful for what you wish for next season. If we have a manager who can maximise all we can get from the squad we could compete as Blackpool have. If we start the season with half an eye on the drop then we will struggle.

gold76
16-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Part of a very select club to have scored over 100 goals for the club
I think he could work well with Lee up front, he made noises about wanting to break the club scoring record. On sensible wages, I'd welcome him back with open arms.

Superturk84
16-05-2010, 05:45 PM
has it actually been confirmed that he is back with us ?

Vince Hilaire's Afro
16-05-2010, 05:49 PM

Probably about 150 times since he left us, at various times.

Biggineagle
16-05-2010, 06:58 PM

No thank F@@k

Its just people living in the past who cant let go.

And Clinton wants an easy ride to finish his waining career and put his feet up based on his long past performances where he was not bad, but not a superstar by any means. But that was a long time ago, and he is a shadow of his former self. Just needs to find a gullible club that will take him on. Hopefully it wont be us.

Psychokiller
16-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I'd be very happy to have him back. A committed player who WANTS to play for us and can be relied on to get 15 goals a season if you play to his strengths. I can't see us doing any better with no money!

joshuah
16-05-2010, 07:01 PM
We keep Jules, Danns, Darren, Paddy and Clyne and add a couple of decent players, we could be an outside shot for the playoffs, if i'm honest.

Oh south london
16-05-2010, 07:03 PM
We keep Jules, Danns, Darren, Paddy and Clyne and add a couple of decent players, we could be an outside shot for the playoffs, if i'm honest.

Will this happen though? I agree if we keep all of them we will probably do very well.

orp pisshead1
16-05-2010, 07:06 PM

Agree there should only be a few legends but when your history is 105 yrs there will be a fair few imo and morrison is right up there.

colin88
23-05-2010, 11:54 AM
From his twitter:

'hey all, well here's my news.. looking for a new club! have enjoyed my time at ccfc, but new gaffer has new ideas. peace and love!'

So he's definitely coming back to Palace then. ;)

Biggineagle
23-05-2010, 12:40 PM
From his twitter:

'hey all, well here's my news.. looking for a new club! have enjoyed my time at ccfc, but new gaffer has new ideas. peace and love!'

So he's definitely coming back to Palace then. ;)

How embarrassing for him, downhill from now on Clint, must be desperate to have to advertise himself, not good enuff for Coventry?? How times have changed.

N Herts Eagle
23-05-2010, 01:04 PM

Have a look of the games he was playing when Moses broke into the team the encouragement and advice he was giving him on the pitch. You give me a choice of Leon Clarke or Clinton I know which one I would choose. Next season will be about a number of youngsters and a few old hands trying to gell as a team I think Clinton would be worth the gamble to support the youngsters

Aaroncpfc
23-05-2010, 01:04 PM
It's not really a big shock I guess. I'm assuming Aidy Boothroyd's never been a big fan of his ever since the 2005/06 playoff match. That little man really does have a vendetta against a lot of players that played against him in the period that he managed Watford.

It will be interesting to see what he does next. A move back to Crystal Palace would be good for him in the long term, it will lead him to have 'an easy ride' so to speak whilst winding down his career, he will have one last chance to become the clubs all time top goalscorer, the majority of his family still live down here and could set him up good if he wants to continue in football once he retires.

It would be good for us too, it would be a good move on the new owners part (assuming the creditors agreement is all sorted) to keep the fans on there side, i'm sure he will add to the good team spirit we currently have and I can imagine him having a better releationship with Paul and Dougie (assuming they're staying) in comparison to Taylor and Warnock and we do lack fire power up front. I admire Calvin Andrew and Alan Lee's contribution but they're not a good enough strike force to take us further up the table in this division.

However this could be his final big pay day, if he's looking to make quick money and believes he can still play in this division for more than two season then another brief stint away from Selhurst would be sensible on his part. I can imagine Bristol City being interested with him being a free agent due to his relationship with Steve Coppell.

Either way, I think it's fair to assume that his best years are past him now.

Shipp Ahoy!
23-05-2010, 01:18 PM
It all depends on wages I would imagine, and of course the takeover actually going through!

Rocky
23-05-2010, 01:30 PM
I think he'd form a deadly partnership with David Nugent, if there's enough wedge in the pot when the takeover eventually goes through though... :D

Biggineagle
23-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Have a look of the games he was playing when Moses broke into the team the encouragement and advice he was giving him on the pitch. You give me a choice of Leon Clarke or Clinton I know which one I would choose. Next season will be about a number of youngsters and a few old hands trying to gell as a team I think Clinton would be worth the gamble to support the youngsters

Our youngsters are admirably supported already, and Palace do not require a waning journeyman babysitter. As has been stated on this forum previously Morrison didnt always have a positive effect on the youngsters.

bigend1
23-05-2010, 01:40 PM
cant believe there is a debate about it. IF, we have a future and IF clinton will come to us on wages that fit in with that future then how can anyone not want him back. free transfer and as mentioned sensible wages, we would not be able to attract a better striker in our position for this league on terms we can/will offer (assuming we are a tight ship in the future). this is just in terms of ability, add to that clinton is a palace man and is driven to be our top striker... its win win if the terms are right surely.

BulletEagle
23-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Our youngsters are admirably supported already, and Palace do not require a waning journeyman babysitter. As has been stated on this forum previously Morrison didnt always have a positive effect on the youngsters.

His effect on Sinclair and Moses seemed pretty positive to me

cpfc4evandeva
23-05-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm like him. I don't love him like I love Dougie but he's up there.

Would I like to see him back here? Sure. While those who dislike him may not see it, he loves to play for us. EO.

prizesucker
23-05-2010, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=colin88]From his twitter:
but new gaffer has new ideas. peace and love!'
QUOTE]

Has Ringo Starr hacked Clinton's account?? :eek: :eek:

Cleon
23-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Morrison has a record of scoring 10+ goals every season in the Championship for various clubs over a number of years. Not many freebies around who can claim that.

GreatGonzo
23-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Morrison has a record of scoring 10+ goals every season in the Championship for various clubs over a number of years. Not many freebies around who can claim that.

How many season's has he not been the top scorer? Only AJ outscored him once at Palace I think and at Brum he played so little, Coventry this year, and last.

TheMexicanHorse
23-05-2010, 02:04 PM

He was paid 10K a week at Coventry and failed to deliver.

We don't want to go back to the days of journeyman players again.

Aaroncpfc
23-05-2010, 02:04 PM

+1.

After the way he encouraged David Martin and Sean Scannell on there debuts, he roared on the players around him when we were building momentum, and his persistent shouting at the likes of Darren Ward everytime they had a go at a player less experienced than them I don't see how people can come to the conclusion that he wasn't a good influence. His love for the club seemed to rub off well on the players as well.

peagle
23-05-2010, 02:11 PM
You all talk about how he helped the young players on the pitch etc. but my overriding memory of Clinton on the pitch was him whining and moaning. HE scored a good few goals but certainly on ability alone wouldn't make it as a legend in the way that some players have (ie. by being so good they cannot be ignored).

The other thing I have always considered is that when he returned to the club after our relegation to the Championship, there was a distinct change that season in the atmosphere within the team on the pitch and that seemed to coincide with what was a disappointing season. Was that down to Clinton? No obviously not. But could his attitude on and off the field as a major difference in the squad have contributed to it? I've always wondered.

The vast majority seem to view Clinton as a favourite so I guess it isn't my place to pass judgement. But I personally disagree.

Aaroncpfc
23-05-2010, 02:20 PM
You all talk about how he helped the young players on the pitch etc. but my overriding memory of Clinton on the pitch was him whining and moaning. HE scored a good few goals but certainly on ability alone wouldn't make it as a legend in the way that some players have (ie. by being so good they cannot be ignored).

The other thing I have always considered is that when he returned to the club after our relegation to the Championship, there was a distinct change that season in the atmosphere within the team on the pitch and that seemed to coincide with what was a disappointing season. Was that down to Clinton? No obviously not. But could his attitude on and off the field as a major difference in the squad have contributed to it? I've always wondered.

The vast majority seem to view Clinton as a favourite so I guess it isn't my place to pass judgement. But I personally disagree.

I agree with you to an extent, when Peter Taylor came in and there was talk about Clinton being our main double figure hitter and a club leader I had my doubts, but in my opinion Peter Taylor and Neil Warnock both trying to undermine Clinton's impact on the pitch were there biggest mistakes when they were manager. The players they chose to replace him may have had the ability potentially (Kuqi, Idrijaz, Dickov, Lee, John, Beattie, Seares etc.) but they didn't have the swagger or charisma that Clinton had that put him head and shoulders above the rest.

BulletEagle
23-05-2010, 02:20 PM

So you're saying that it was his fault we didn't go straight back up? Save it.

He never moaned, he was just passionate for the cause. Every time he made a run that wasn't found, he made sure that the players looked up and tried to make a pass the next time. He didn't moan. Warnock moaned. There was and is a difference.

peagle
23-05-2010, 02:28 PM
So you're saying that it was his fault we didn't go straight back up? Save it.

He never moaned, he was just passionate for the cause. Every time he made a run that wasn't found, he made sure that the players looked up and tried to make a pass the next time. He didn't moan. Warnock moaned. There was and is a difference.
No, I clearly said that it wasn't the reason (clearly) but I wonder whether it was a contributing factor to the change in atmosphere in the dressing room which subsequently contributed to our below expected performance.

I don't know whether we were watching a different player but he constantly moaned throughout his time, though less in his last year with Warnock. At other players, the opposition, linesmen, refs etc. That was the main reason I started to dislike him.

And Aaron, I actually agree with you that they could have used Morrison better and actually think that to say that the players you listed, perhaps bar Beattie, could replace him is unfair to Clinton who (don't get me wrong) is a good and useful player.

Pub Idol
23-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Warnock effectively threw the 08/09 season by getting rid. ( I know.... He offered him a contract, blah, blah, blah )

If he came back for decent wages then would have him back like a shot.

Some people will never like him. And I will never undestand that, Yes he is an emotional lad and that sometimes he was his own worst enemy. But he scored goals for Palace. Not many players have found that easy to do.

Anyway we dont have an owner or manager so without these we are not in the running.

N Herts Eagle
23-05-2010, 02:46 PM

I have to disagree with you in terms of playing in the first team I have not seen this season what anyone who watched the season with Moses and Sinclair and Clinton would clearly see the influence that Clinton had....

Il Padrino
23-05-2010, 06:53 PM

i used to spend time at the training ground every day of the week and simply just cannot describe the effects that Clinton and dougie have on the players off the field - they are immense

Say what you want about the merits of his performance on a Saturday, but having regularly seen two of our most prolific ever strikers nuture, coach and encourage the kids I can safely say that your post is a million miles wide of the mark

Sussex Eagle
23-05-2010, 06:59 PM
A guy who's been at 3 clubs in his career, scoring over 100 for one of them (that's us by the way, for those with the noticeably short memories), is a 'journeyman', is he? Idiotic.

Biggineagle
23-05-2010, 06:59 PM
+1.

After the way he encouraged David Martin and Sean Scannell on there debuts, he roared on the players around him when we were building momentum, and his persistent shouting at the likes of Darren Ward everytime they had a go at a player less experienced than them I don't see how people can come to the conclusion that he wasn't a good influence. His love for the club seemed to rub off well on the players as well.

3 Players where underperforming is the common point, or can you name one of those that have benefited from his....... er advice??

Biggineagle
23-05-2010, 07:01 PM
No, I clearly said that it wasn't the reason (clearly) but I wonder whether it was a contributing factor to the change in atmosphere in the dressing room which subsequently contributed to our below expected performance.

I don't know whether we were watching a different player but he constantly moaned throughout his time, though less in his last year with Warnock. At other players, the opposition, linesmen, refs etc. That was the main reason I started to dislike him.

And Aaron, I actually agree with you that they could have used Morrison better and actually think that to say that the players you listed, perhaps bar Beattie, could replace him is unfair to Clinton who (don't get me wrong) is a good and useful player.

I like that post:p

Sussex Eagle
Endless nonsense
What on earth is at the root of your problem with an indisputable Palace legend?

Biggineagle

I like that post too:p

gcwhite
23-05-2010, 07:25 PM

Remind me which one of the chuckle brothers you are.

Biggineagle
23-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Remind me which one of the chuckle brothers you are.

Rude and uncalled for

Biggineagle
23-05-2010, 07:28 PM

How on earth can you say that their performances were down to him???

gcwhite
23-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Rude and uncalled for

Are you related?

Biggineagle
23-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Are you related?

Your posts get weaker with each post.

Il Padrino
23-05-2010, 07:34 PM

because all youngsters at the club get advice and mentoring from the pros - the strikers with the strikers and so on.

I did just post that but guessing you're ignoring it because it doesn't fit in With your uninformed and bordering on crackpot opinion of CM

peagle
23-05-2010, 07:36 PM
I like that post too:p
I thought I was special :(

peagle
23-05-2010, 07:39 PM
because all youngsters at the club get advice and mentoring from the pros - the strikers with the strikers and so on.

I did just post that but guessing you're ignoring it because it doesn't fit in With your uninformed and bordering on crackpot opinion of CM
Well, that's probably true to an extent though it will depend on the youngster as to how much advice they seek/listen to etc. obviously.

Would you really say though that Sinclair improved while he was with us any more than having just played a few games? And Moses certainly didn't shine fully (likely because he was always played out of position in part) until this season in my opinion, significantly after Morrison. To say that he had no impact would be unfair. But to give him any significant credit is ludicrous and frankly laughable as an argument in my opinion.

orp pisshead1
23-05-2010, 07:46 PM

Always welcome back IMO.
Spot on

philsick
23-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Right wing white folks will dislike clinton.

orp pisshead1
23-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Did you watch palace back then? Stoke away say no more.

Biggineagle
23-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Well, that's probably true to an extent though it will depend on the youngster as to how much advice they seek/listen to etc. obviously.

Would you really say though that Sinclair improved while he was with us any more than having just played a few games? And Moses certainly didn't shine fully (likely because he was always played out of position in part) until this season in my opinion, significantly after Morrison. To say that he had no impact would be unfair. But to give him any significant credit is ludicrous and frankly laughable as an argument in my opinion.

EXACTLY, some people are so deluded. To pretend he had a "tremendous" effect "on the youngsters" is indeed laughable, and to quote players names he "had an effect" on with zero proof is also laughable. His impact on the team, if any would be miniscule.

He was good once, he aint now, and is a pale shadow of the "legend" he may have possibly been.

waddoneagle
23-05-2010, 07:49 PM

:D

peagle
23-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Please collect your fail on your way out. Thanks.

peagle
23-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Did you watch palace back then? Stoke away say no more.
I was there... and?

Il Padrino
23-05-2010, 07:56 PM

i think it's somewhere inbetween. Having seen firsthand (not with sinclair and Moses I have to say) the work that some senior players - like Morrison - do with the kids I think they have a huge impact. I don't think you'd find someone like drogba staying late after training with kids from the under 11s team, which was a regular thing with DF and CM.

If they weren't having an effect there are enough coaches around the place - who know more about the game than you,I or anyone else on here- will ever know and if they are happy putting the future of the club in the hands of freedman, Morrison or any of the other senior pros that's enough for me

jobiinthelastmi
23-05-2010, 08:10 PM
People should know better than to listen to biggineagle, who is pretty clueless when it comes to football :p

cpfc4evandeva
23-05-2010, 08:37 PM

Sure. Much like black supremicists will dislike Ambrose.

If you're trying to insult people who dislike Clinton then I think that your post is out of order.

peagle
23-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Sure. Much like black supremicists will dislike Ambrose.

If you're trying to insult people who dislike Clinton then I think that your post is out of order.
it was a wind-up don't worry :D

BulletEagle
23-05-2010, 08:54 PM
He was good once, he aint now, and is a pale shadow of the "legend" he may have possibly been.

We are in the playground.

We are both captains and in front of us are players from which we must pick two teams.

You can go first.

You are honestly saying that you pick one of Stern John, Calvin Andrew, Matthew Wright or Alan Lee over Clinton Morrison? If so you're team won't be getting very far.

Aaroncpfc
23-05-2010, 08:54 PM
EXACTLY, some people are so deluded. To pretend he had a "tremendous" effect "on the youngsters" is indeed laughable, and to quote players names he "had an effect" on with zero proof is also laughable. His impact on the team, if any would be miniscule..

Somebody didn't read the Victor Moses piece in Four Four Two.

GreatGonzo
23-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Lets not forget that Warnock forced CM out with an arguement to SJ accompanying this that CM would score you 15 goals a season but you would not get promoted. Kuqi then barely hits double figures and we finish 2/3rds way down the league.

NW hated the fact CM had more influence over some of the youngsters than he did, he related to them far better than NW ever could. Clash of personalities with the manager and he was gone.

Always seen at the youth cup matches at Selhurst and the reports of all he did with the youngsters keeps going but some will see see him a a whinger but he did so because he cares. NW does it and people call it passion :rolleyes:

With DF still here and involved it would not be suprising to see a return especially if other high earners are moved on.

peagle
23-05-2010, 09:10 PM
We are in the playground.

We are both captains and in front of us are players from which we must pick two teams.

You can go first.

You are honestly saying that you pick one of Stern John, Calvin Andrew, Matthew Wright or Alan Lee over Clinton Morrison? If so you're team won't be getting very far.
Obviously it depends what role but yes, Andrew and Lee right now.

Biggineagle
23-05-2010, 09:26 PM

Indeed

GreatGonzo
23-05-2010, 09:35 PM

7 goals in 69 appearances this season between them.

Clinton 10 in 46 and you seriously would pick both over him.

BIZARRE!

philsick
23-05-2010, 09:56 PM

BIZARRE!

Give it up gonzo,they are weird.

kolinkins
23-05-2010, 10:33 PM
anyone not wanting Clinton back or not appreciating what he has done for us needs their head read

He's a rare species - a Palace LEGEND who is fit, active, up to CCC level and a threat at this level.

sheepy
23-05-2010, 10:58 PM
I haven't seen him much this season but I think he would be a better striking option than John.

He's not necessarily good enough to spearhead a promotion push but on low wages and a free transfer he would be a real bargin.

Absolution
23-05-2010, 11:01 PM
The guy scores goals at this level, and if we are Ambrose-less who is going to score anything??

I think I posted on the thread about Boothroyd going to Cov that Morrison would leave.. and I can't blame him.

Who wants to play for that hoofball manager.

Come back Clinton! (If we have a club..)

Seaside Eagle
24-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Lee and Morrison up front?

If we can -somehow- hold on to Ambrose, we could be mounting a serious promotion push next season.

gold76
24-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Like the sound of Clinton/Lee partnership up front.

waddoneagle
24-05-2010, 07:34 AM

:eek: Good Lord:rolleyes:

sydnsteve
24-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Lee I can understand, but I'm afraid anyone who would seriously pick Andrew over CM as Lee's partner needs to see a doc. Actually Lee and Clint could work, but he won't be coming here on what we'll be able to afford (assuming there is a 'we')

The Gerry Queen
24-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Lee I can understand, but I'm afraid anyone who would seriously pick Andrew over CM as Lee's partner needs to see a doc. Actually Lee and Clint could work, but he won't be coming here on what we'll be able to afford (assuming there is a 'we')

Assuming we achieve the sale..... assuming we appoint the right manager ... assuming quite a lot really, I think that if CM is as 'Red and Blue through and through' as he says he is, he could follow Dougie Freedman back to Palace and help us on from there. Or would he prefer to fade away at another mid table mediocre Championship outfit or even worse.....go to Bristol City and join SC and his bother in law...sort of ... Marvin Elliot ?

I think he would come back if he was asked. Could we do better ? Don't think so.

orp pisshead1
24-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Pmsl

orp pisshead1
24-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Give it up gonzo,they are weird.
kids i'd of thought given their lack of respect!

joshuah
24-05-2010, 09:14 AM
----------Clint Lee------------
Ambrose Danns N'diaye Scannell

PRAY FOR IT

CPFC_DAVE77
24-05-2010, 09:42 AM
----------Clint Lee------------
Ambrose Danns N'diaye Scannell

PRAY FOR IT

There is no proper bite in that midfield. So no.

gold76
24-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Would like Ertl over N'Diaye in that above midfield

Crunchie
24-05-2010, 10:44 AM

A bit too PC for me. I don't not know Clinton personally, but if I did I would judge him on just that, rather than the the colour of his skin.

peagle
24-05-2010, 10:50 AM

BIZARRE!
That is because Andrew and Lee have been used in their roles, not as out-and-out goalscorers but as target men. As I say, it depends on the role and therefore as these two play different roles to Clinton it is hard to make a direct comparison between them.

Frankly, saying that I need my head examined is a fantastic argument and I comment you for it, I'm stumped as to how I could reply.

I have an opinion which differs to yours. I was not aware of the work which it has been claimed (and I have no reason to disbelieve) that he worked extensively with the youngsters at this club while he was here. But that doesn't change my opinion of him from what I saw on and off of the pitch for many years.

As football fans we often have very strong, polarised views about people and let pure emotions rule our head, having to characterise people as either hated or amazing. That's how people like Warnock go from loved to hated in 24 hours. Maybe what I'm saying is that Clinton is somewhere in between, someone who played for this club and scored goals for us and worked hard and is therefore liked, but not someone who deserves a status as a legend. It doesn't have to be black or white, maybe it's grey.

GodstoneEagle
24-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Behave.

Crunchie
24-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Our best spell under Warnock was.

a) His ability for the defence to fight like dogs.

b) having Moses, Sinclair and Morrison up front.

Morrison did ever so well holding the ball up for the other too.

Having not watched Coventry much in the past couple of years, if he can stil do that as well as being a poacher, then he would be a good free signing (on lower wages of course)

Crunchie
24-05-2010, 11:01 AM

ardeo
24-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Our best spell under Warnock was.

a) His ability for the defence to fight like dogs.

b) having Moses, Sinclair and Morrison up front.

Morrison did ever so well holding the ball up for the other too.

Having not watched Coventry much in the past couple of years, if he can stil do that as well as being a poacher, then he would be a good free signing (on lower wages of course)

I saw one goal recently that he set up where the ball was played into him in the box, he held it up and laid it off for someone to score. Imagine that has become more of his game than ever as his old legs don't have the pace anymore. Things you don't lose as a striker: instinct to be in the right place and the ability to hold the ball up. Clinton should still be a good striker for 3 years at least in the championship.

sydnsteve
24-05-2010, 01:29 PM
It really stretches the imagination to think that Andrew will ever in his life be better than Clint. I think Andrew got 1 league goal? He is not a first team player, and he is not a goal scorer and never will be.

I doubt any new wage structure could accomodate Clinton, but on what we'd be paying he'd be well above anyone else we could afford in terms of class. I suppose if DF was manager he might get him back, though theywere only a partnership on the pitch. however, DF knows how good Clint can be.

Matt_Hep
24-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Should be no debate..

He's quality, a proven goalscorer and loves/understands the club.

Come home Clint.

GreatGonzo
24-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Frankly, saying that I need my head examined is a fantastic argument and I comment you for it, I'm stumped as to how I could reply.

I have an opinion which differs to yours.

Never said you need your head examined, i just said IMO it was a bizarre statement but as you say you are entitled to your opinion. Lets be honest there are few posters on here who have people disagreeing with them more than myself so i will never say someone shouldn't have their opinion.

As for those who are suggesting Lee and CM up front, i can only see this working if we have real pace and skill out wide to be the supply line, and that would require at least 2 additions to the squad we currently have. That said if we did go 4-4-2 with proper wingers and the likes of Ertl and Danns in the centre, then there are few better poachers than Clinton and headers of a ball than Lee in this division. With Andrew and Scannell as attacking options and N'Diaye to cover in the centre we would be ok if bothe Ambrose and Carle did as seems likely move on.

calne eagle
25-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Anyway - Twitter just now. Clint's going nowhere:

13:24: 'leaving twitter now people, i will proove aidy boothroyd wrong. i want to stay at ccfc. i want to represent ireland again. peace and love x'

13:32: 'again i stress, the gaffer rang me last week, but there was a misunderstanding.. i want to stay at coventry and score 22 goals next season!'

brb rule
25-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Only offers he has had so far were from Burnely and Norwich so can't blame him for wanting to stay.

bigboy
25-05-2010, 04:48 PM
his only interest in coming back is to set some all time apperance record,no more no less

N Herts Eagle
25-05-2010, 04:53 PM
his only interest in coming back is to set some all time apperance record,no more no less

:eek:

IF he does that he will be playing another 6.5 years at least ...I think you mean goal scoring the thing we need to do to win games...:o

Biggineagle
25-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Anyway - Twitter just now. Clint's going nowhere:

13:24: 'leaving twitter now people, i will proove aidy boothroyd wrong. i want to stay at ccfc. i want to represent ireland again. peace and love x'

13:32: 'again i stress, the gaffer rang me last week, but there was a misunderstanding.. i want to stay at coventry and score 22 goals next season!'

Hurrah!!!!! :lux: :lux: :lux:

22 goals next season, my arrs.

Bye :hi::hi:

bigboy
25-05-2010, 05:48 PM
:eek:

IF he does that he will be playing another 6.5 years at least ...I think you mean goal scoring the thing we need to do to win games...:o
if thats the case i stand corrected :p

Biggineagle
27-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Hurrah!!!!! :lux: :lux: :lux:

22 goals next season, my arrs.

Bye :hi::hi:

For ILL Pad

prizesucker
27-05-2010, 09:12 PM
peace and love x

I'm telling you - Ringo Starr has hacked Clinton's account!! :D

DaveP
02-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Officially been released by Coventry City this evening.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up back here at Palace to finish his career.

Would be an excellent squad player at least.

David Amsalem
02-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Is he better then what we got? Yes.

Sign him up.

imback
02-06-2010, 08:53 PM
HELL YEAH! GET HIM BACK!

pap
02-06-2010, 08:55 PM
I know people will say that you should never go back and he isnt the player he was, which is most probably true, but he would give us something different and would be a very good squad player.

Paicey
02-06-2010, 09:00 PM
as good as anythign we have if not better. him and Lee will be great to bring the kids through.

I welcome him back in an instance!

danpalace07
02-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Clinton back at Palace? Yes please! Legend.

AddiscombeCPFC
02-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Is he better then what we got? Yes.

Sign him up.
That isn't hard mate. As much I don't want to criticise any player after the admin effort, our current crop of strikers are extremely mediocre. I don't rate morrison at all, but you're right he is better than what we've got. I wouldn't mind him coming back on a 1 year deal on low wages, but i'd be disappointed if the plan was to make him our main striker. Useful squad player at best IMO.

CPFC_DAVE77
02-06-2010, 09:18 PM
On the right wage, for the right length of time, with the right understanding about his squad status ie not guaranteed to start every game and with the right attitude; yes.

peagle
02-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Honestly, the excellent mood I'm currently in would be destroyed. Not saying it'd be worth our club going out of business, but to have you guys all licking his ass constantly would probably end up killing me :(

SIKO
02-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Clinton wouldlove to come back, and would probably take a wage cut. Unfortunately he has a few other things on his mind at the moment, but lets see what happens

Biggineagle
02-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Honestly, the excellent mood I'm currently in would be destroyed. Not saying it'd be worth our club going out of business, but to have you guys all licking his ass constantly would probably end up killing me :(

Cant even make Coventrys squad, but would set Palace alight apparently, with his 22 goals this coming season (Morrisons own twitter quote apparently).

"Living in the Past"
"Well Desperate now"
Thats them that is:p

foxinthebox
02-06-2010, 10:17 PM
even 10 goals from him would be better than what we have had this season from our strikers. he does know where to be around the box. in a team creating chance hed probably do ok, the thing is if were down the bottom i can see him being largely useless on the pitch though may be a positive influence off it

he probably needs a certain manager to perform well and certain style of football

comparing him to alan lee though is largely useless as even if lee doesnt score he gives you countless other qualities, see butterfields hat trick and the way he worked sheff weds defence last game!

weh8millwall
02-06-2010, 10:23 PM
He'll get goals. Bring him in.

pistol
02-06-2010, 10:31 PM
That isn't hard mate. As much I don't want to criticise any player after the admin effort, our current crop of strikers are extremely mediocre. I don't rate morrison at all, but you're right he is better than what we've got. I wouldn't mind him coming back on a 1 year deal on low wages, but i'd be disappointed if the plan was to make him our main striker. Useful squad player at best IMO.

Agree on that,he could be a good squad player but depending on wages!

bigend1
03-06-2010, 08:40 AM
we DO need a striker, we DONT know cpfc2010's position on wages etc..

clinton is a striker who knows where the goal is, he is on a free, he knows and wants to play for the club, he does a lot more than i think some people give him credit for.. he holds the ball up and defenders off a lot better than many larger players do and runs a hell of a lot off the ball giving other players space.. something lee gets a lot of credit for but clinton certainly used to do a lot of. anyhow.. he is better than what we have and on a free... ex-palace or not, his passion for the club is simply a bonus, ON THE RIGHT TERMS... snap him up, would be a very good signing

GreatGonzo
03-06-2010, 08:42 AM
2 year deal, on say 4k a week, with aa appearance, goal and assist bonus scheme, he woudl be invaluable around the place. Trouble is would he take that sort of drop in wages, but then he may have no better options financially.

gold76
03-06-2010, 09:08 AM
it's an intruiging thought Gonzo as to what the new owners may set as a wage cap.

I'm guessing our highest earners (Ambrose & Lee?) are on circa 10k a week, which is unsustainable.

A cap of say 5k a week is more realistic for us at the moment.

If we can give him a bonus in terms of goals scored & the security of a 2 year deal, then perhaps it would appeal

sydnsteve
03-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Don't worry peagle, there'll be room for you.

webbo1990
03-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Clint's a modern day legend and has always said he WILL come back to top our all-time goalscoring chart. I think he's in about 5th place, 30 short of the top.

I'd welcome him back with open arms, he's a natural born finisher (yes, even nowadays) and has matured enough to be Captain of Coventry at times this season.

I saw him at our last home game vs West Brom and he was there to support the club he genuinely loves. I told him of the high regard I hold him in and he seemed chuffed and grateful.

On a lower wage, in a young team, he'd be a very good signing, particular on a free.

jams1234
03-06-2010, 12:40 PM
If he does want to come back and top our list or get even higher, he must surely realise it has to be now. In 2 more years, he won't be able to play at this level.

Woosie
03-06-2010, 12:43 PM
If he does want to come back and top our list or get even higher, he must surely realise it has to be now. In 2 more years, he won't be able to play at this level.

I'm not sure it would be Clint not realising that would be the problem. More likely we won't bother approaching him about returning to Palace. If we did then I think depending on the deal, he would come back.

I hope he returns, Palace legend imo.

whereEaglesFly
03-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Why the hell is lee on that much

jams1234
03-06-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure it would be Clint not realising that would be the problem. More likely we won't bother approaching him about returning to Palace. If we did then I think depending on the deal, he would come back.

I hope he returns, Palace legend imo.
I suppose it does also depend on our new manager.

Big Mac Junior
03-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Without a doubt- I would love Clint to come home.

webbo1990
03-06-2010, 12:51 PM
I suppose it does also depend on our new manager.
Yeah true. I got the feeling NW never liked him, until it was too late.

webbo1990
03-06-2010, 12:53 PM
it's an intruiging thought Gonzo as to what the new owners may set as a wage cap.

I'm guessing our highest earners (Ambrose & Lee?) are on circa 10k a week, which is unsustainable.

If we can give him a bonus in terms of goals scored & the security of a 2 year deal, then perhaps it would appeal
I'd be happy for us to give Lee a John Hartson-type contract. He was on about 2k a week at Wimbledon but 10K a goal, apparently. That certainly made him move his arse!

AJ
03-06-2010, 12:57 PM

Realistically, the 5k a week is an average. A couple of players on higher wages can be accommodated by a few youngsters who would earn significantly less than 5k a week. Not sure, I am for this, but, it you have a couple of players who by their performances are worth it, maybe it's okay.
Based on last season's performances, I would only say that Ambrose and Speroni are in that category of being eligible to earn more than the 5k a week average.

sydnsteve
03-06-2010, 01:10 PM
And Lee, surely?

sydnsteve
03-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Clinton wouldlove to come back, and would probably take a wage cut. Unfortunately he has a few other things on his mind at the moment, but lets see what happens

I know you know him. Nothing serious for him I hope?

Stavros 69
03-06-2010, 01:16 PM
not his shoulder i hope.

CPFC_DAVE77
03-06-2010, 01:18 PM
not his shoulder i hope.

And yet you called me a wanker yesterday because I didn't care if Arse lost Fabregas.

whoisdanze?
03-06-2010, 01:23 PM
let's be honest; he is a posing twat and he shouldn't have anything to do with the academy or apprentices. but jesus it'd be fantastic if he came back.

NateEagle
03-06-2010, 01:23 PM
we DO need a striker, we DONT know cpfc2010's position on wages etc..

clinton is a striker who knows where the goal is, he is on a free, he knows and wants to play for the club, he does a lot more than i think some people give him credit for.. he holds the ball up and defenders off a lot better than many larger players do and runs a hell of a lot off the ball giving other players space.. something lee gets a lot of credit for but clinton certainly used to do a lot of. anyhow.. he is better than what we have and on a free... ex-palace or not, his passion for the club is simply a bonus, ON THE RIGHT TERMS... snap him up, would be a very good signing

Accurate and sensible post. I'd have him back as I think he offers us more in terms of likely goal ratio than our current lot but only if CPFC2010 can afford 2 new strikers. We def need at least 1 as without Ambrose's goals this season we would have been down...and if he stays I dont see him getting that many again unfortunately, hope im wrong.

However, if its only 1 then I'd like to think we'd look around first before jumping in with a contract offer for Clinton, as much as I love the guy in a Palace shirt.

Riccardo
03-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Sorry, skimmed through the thread.

Just wanted to alert all of you to a potential shoulder injury that's a little 'hush hush' at the moment. Just a 'heads up'.

Aman907
03-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Without a doubt- I would love Clint to come home.

me too clint is a real character :p

Seaside Eagle
03-06-2010, 07:25 PM
me too clint is a real character :p

And he's a goal poacher. If we sign him, I think we need another striker if Ambrose does end up going. I can't see where we're going to get our goals from next season, particularly if Ambrose leaves.

A front three of Clinton - Lee - "insert pacy striker" would suit me fine.

robs_an_eagle
04-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Clints just been released from cov.. Snap him up!

Biggineagle
04-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Ahh!! another morrison thread.................................... tasty.

I may even comment on this one.

Can Mods Merge pls:p

ANDYEAGLE
04-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Ahh!! another morrison thread.................................... tasty.

I may even comment on this one.

Can Mods Merge pls:p

You just have:) 5k a week Clinton and you can come home. I can't see us getting anyone better on a free.

Jim Cannon
04-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Clints just been released from cov.. Snap him up!
er don't believe we are actually allowed to sign new players while in admin???

stinky
04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Also.. just been released? Isn't it old news? Or am I wrong?

Sandowneagle
04-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Rumour is he has a dodgy shoulder

.......do you think it would pass a medical

Biggineagle
04-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Also.. just been released? Isn't it old news? Or am I wrong?

Indeed you are right. But he has been spending the last week goin thro the avalanche of offers he dreamt he would receive.

palace_crystal
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Clinton and Freedman as the forward line for next season please :)

cpfc4ever
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
He has always looked like he enjoyed playing for Palace. Would take him if he is fit. But let's get the club sorted first!

Vince Hilaire's Afro
04-06-2010, 12:17 PM
I think he'll go straight to number 22 in the charts, but fall out of the top 40 the following week.

Fever Pitch
04-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Well worth 10k a week.....

Stigma
04-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Would like to see him back..doesn't make sense..but yeah. Bring him back if we can.

Clinton .... Morrison..yay...

Mad Raschic Ken
04-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Clinton and Freedman as the forward line for next season please :)

Maybe Salako and McGoldrick could play on the wings and Andy Gray could play in midfield? What about Eric Young at the back and John Burridge in goal?

jone-zee
04-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Ive heard Big Jim wouldnt mind pulling on his boots to get in on the wages footballers are on these days......

Why do so many supporters live in the past?

Chris K
04-06-2010, 12:26 PM

No way, thats exactly the sort of attitude that put Palace in the position we're only just getting out of.

Fever Pitch
04-06-2010, 12:27 PM
No way, thats exactly the sort of attitude that put Palace in the position we're only just getting out of.

Wooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Stigma
04-06-2010, 12:27 PM
He played 45 games last season for coventry..10 goals (much better then the strikers we got last season)..only 31..could do worse if affordable.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
04-06-2010, 12:29 PM

It's the only way I can get away with wearing Farrahs.

deftones_eagle
04-06-2010, 12:30 PM
bring him back, loves the club. scores for fun here. no brainer.

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
04-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Ive heard Big Jim wouldnt mind pulling on his boots to get in on the wages footballers are on these days......

^^^^^^^^ EEIE in agreement with Jone-zee shocker :D

st albans
04-06-2010, 12:34 PM
if we don't even try and get him i'll be very very dissapointed

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
04-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Wooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:moo: :D

EMLEY EAGLE
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Can we sign anyone yet?

Vendy
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Can we sign anyone yet?
Who does anyone play for?

Chris K
04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Wooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

git :D

Biggineagle
04-06-2010, 12:40 PM
bring him back, loves the club. scores for fun here. no brainer.

I see what you mean JZEEE

This club is going forward, not backward.

catman1971
04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Maybe Salako and McGoldrick could play on the wings and Andy Gray could play in midfield? What about Eric Young at the back and John Burridge in goal?
if we lose speroni then id take budgie back in goal!!!lol:p

PhyshtaMagishta
04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
cookie, sign him up, cookie cookie sign him up

Selhurst Guy
04-06-2010, 12:50 PM
We've desperatley needed a goal poacher ever since Clinton left so why not sign him back. He scored more goals than any of our strikers did last season! Worth a 2 year contract id say.

nicknackpalace
04-06-2010, 12:53 PM
we could do a lot worse

Biggineagle
04-06-2010, 12:53 PM
We've desperatley needed a goal poacher ever since Clinton left so why not sign him back. He scored more goals than any of our strikers did last season! Worth a 2 year contract id say.
http://www.tailored.com.au/uploaded_images/money-toilet-768359.jpg

Jay_Palace
04-06-2010, 12:54 PM
On a free and sensible wages, what's not to like?

Il Padrino
04-06-2010, 12:56 PM

I'd touch your gentleman's area to see him clatter someone like Drogba. That would be magic, the air ambulance would get called out....

Palace Rebel
04-06-2010, 12:56 PM
be stupid not to

Dedders
04-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Would be suprised if we don't get him....

NorwoodPride
04-06-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't want to see Clinton back again, we need to move foward and get a striker who is younger and fitter.

si1965
04-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Could be a useful option but only if on sensible wages. Could also play a role in developing the youngsters - perhaps he may be interested in a dual role - backup striker and coaching at the academy?

Biggineagle
04-06-2010, 01:19 PM
backup striker

Your'e not from round these parts are ya?? stranger ;)

Biggineagle
04-06-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't want to see Clinton back again, we need to move foward and get a striker who is younger and fitter.
:p

NRM the 2nd
04-06-2010, 01:25 PM

You obviously fancy another outing to Lloyds in a years time.

rainbow_child
04-06-2010, 01:25 PM

Booooooo! :o

spt1978
04-06-2010, 01:35 PM

^^^^^^^^ This.

ardeo
04-06-2010, 01:49 PM
In our new age of living within our means, if a contract can be agreed by both parties that is of equal value to the player then we should go for it. There shouldn't really be sentimentality regarding signing Clint.

It's not a step backwards as he is better than any goalscorer we have at the club, we also know that he will do his all for the club and nurtures the kids well. On the other side he can be sulky if left out of the team, isn't getting any younger and has had a few injuries.

As long as we make a balanced decision on whether he's right for the club is the important thing. I think its a difficult call to make, but personally think if he's willing to sign at reasonable wages (at a guess around or less than 5k/week) then he would be a good signing for us.

gjohnk
04-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Of course we should move forward and ideally buy an exciting, lively young striker - who we can sell on for profit.
However that is what every club out there is looking for.

is Clinton is at a reasonable cost, short term contract he will do until we can unearth a new gem.

The Bishop
04-06-2010, 01:55 PM

Why do so many fans live in the past?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Mattpalace4ever
04-06-2010, 01:57 PM
I think we should get him back as is only 31 and always gets into double figures every season, and think cookie would want him if appointed manager

Owngoal
04-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Clinton is like Marmite on these boards - to me he still has a lot to offer and was Covs best player against us. Cannot see Andrew scoring many but could see Clinton and Lee making a great partnership. Jury is still out on scannell, but he has the potential to do well and we have a couple of good youngsters coming through to join them. There does need to be a mix of youth and experience. Freddie Sears sounded a great prospect, say no more on what transpired. We have not got the money to buy the finished product and a contract linked to performance would be ideal.

Benzhiyi
04-06-2010, 02:39 PM
In our new age of living within our means, if a contract can be agreed by both parties that is of equal value to the player then we should go for it. There shouldn't really be sentimentality regarding signing Clint.

It's not a step backwards as he is better than any goalscorer we have at the club, we also know that he will do his all for the club and nurtures the kids well. On the other side he can be sulky if left out of the team, isn't getting any younger and has had a few injuries.

As long as we make a balanced decision on whether he's right for the club is the important thing. I think its a difficult call to make, but personally think if he's willing to sign at reasonable wages (at a guess around or less than 5k/week) then he would be a good signing for us.

Excellent post. One year deal could be great for both sides.

Boyandy
04-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Of course we should move forward and ideally buy an exciting, lively young striker - who we can sell on for profit.
However that is what every club out there is looking for.

is Clinton is at a reasonable cost, short term contract he will do until we can unearth a new gem.

My thoughts exactly. Fingers crossed that Zaha is this player. A reasonably waged Clinton can hold the fort while he continues to develop.

Jordan's Jacket
04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
We need some pace up top. Unfortunately Clinton has never been blessed with much of this

Gerry from Sussex
04-06-2010, 02:52 PM

I like Clinton a lot but if someone else is prepared to offer him 10k then good luck to them (and him). That wouldn't be a good deal for Palace

doof
04-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Give him a one year deal with reduced wages and good goal scoring bonus with the option of an extension.

Clinton should know by now his best years have all been with us and should be prepared to take a cut in wages for the lure of a bit of glory. The majority of fans remember what a good player he can be and will support him.

CPFC_DAVE77
04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Give him a one year deal with reduced wages and good goal scoring bonus with the option of an extension.

Clinton should know by now his best years have all been with us and should be prepared to take a cut in wages for the lure of a bit of glory. The majority of fans remember what a good player he can be and will support him.

Is exactly right, though I think most would agree his current (expiring wage) is probably near the 10kp/w mark, and the reduction would have to be quite significant.

Kevan Woz Awful
04-06-2010, 03:04 PM
You should always ensure that when a players legs start to go it's at their next club and not yours.

SJ and his managers lumbered us with shed loads of players at the wrong end of their careers. Pouring good money after bad while they spent more time on treatment tables than the pitch.

I reckon we'd be lucky to see Clinton play in less than a 1/3 of our fixtures and on that premise I'd have to say I'd prefer him not to return.

Lion
04-06-2010, 05:56 PM
I reckon we'd be lucky to see Clinton play in less than a 1/3 of our fixtures and on that premise I'd have to say I'd prefer him not to return.

TO be fair, lots of people said this about Derry before his return, saying he was past it and would be injured... then look what happened!

gold76
04-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Will score more goals than the strikers we currently have

cpfcfan124
04-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Will score more goals than the strikers we currently have
I agree mate, hes such a good finisher in the penalty area :)

cpfcfan1
04-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Would love him back at Palace but would hope if we did go for him not make him our main striker target.

Come home Clint

LiamCPFC
04-06-2010, 07:57 PM
If we can get him on decent wages then it's a no brainer for me. We played some of our best football in years when we had him, Sinclair and Moses as the front three and I think that was because he brought the best out of them and I fully believe he could do the same with Scannell.

Biggineagle
04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Deluded fools

jobiinthelastmi
04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
If we can get him on decent wages then it's a no brainer for me. We played some of our best football in years when we had him, Sinclair and Moses as the front three and I think that was because he brought the best out of them and I fully believe he could do the same with Scannell.

Have some rep :p

The only deluded fool on here is Biggin(no clue)eagle

orp pisshead1
04-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Deluded fools

So which strikers do you suggest we go for? would agree with those saying much reduced wages if he returns. As for playing a third of our games hes what 31 maybe 32 not 35.

gold76
05-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Deluded fools

Boo!

Get onboard the Clinton love bus Biggins!

;)

Aaroncpfc
05-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Deluded fools

List us realistic targets that you think will be better then. I am quite interested to see who you think will be a better target for us next season.

Crunchie
05-06-2010, 09:34 AM
You should always ensure that when a players legs start to go it's at their next club and not yours.

SJ and his managers lumbered us with shed loads of players at the wrong end of their careers. Pouring good money after bad while they spent more time on treatment tables than the pitch.

I agree with this. But he is 31.

However its all about wages I think (less thank 5k a week) definitely, and maybe a goal bonus.

Agree with the one season contract with extension option if he does well.

The biggest worry is that he sulks everytime he doesn't play, and therefore could effect the morale in the dressing room.

Still I would welcome him back, as long he understand the reality of the situation we are in.

Dannyzz
07-06-2010, 12:18 PM
I'll happily have Clinton here, we are in need of some sort of strike force!

I honestly though, can't see us making many permenant signings. I get the feeling we'll look the loan market.

eagle101
28-06-2010, 09:54 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1290395/Former-England-keeper-Richard-Wright-set-make-free-transfer-Crystal-Palace.html?ITO=1490

He is set to sign James Harper, freed by Sheffield United, and Clinton Morrison on a free from Coventry.

:lux:

Lego Knight
28-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Good news if true. Would love him back.

JamTheEagle
28-06-2010, 09:57 PM
James Harper, I would have thought he would want big wages - great signing though if true.

Jay_Palace
28-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Harper would be excellent, too. I'm hoping that's simply duff reporting re Jules; a million is laughable for him (considering an average midfielder in league one has just gone for 1.4) and I can't see why QPR would bring him in having signed Kenny.

Kipungu
28-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Are we cashing in on Speroni? Why would we be after Richard Wright? Surely he wouldnt sit on the bench?

maxpower
28-06-2010, 10:05 PM
They have taken that from holmesdale.net where someone posted it from a 'reliable' poster

Kirby
28-06-2010, 10:37 PM
There are some seriously good players available on free transfers. Didn't expect all this! Especially not already!!

Celestial Empire
28-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Harper was freed by Reading, he was only on loan at ShefU. He is thirty.

nickiverson
28-06-2010, 10:43 PM
He was on loan and then signed for them

cranesparkeagle
28-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Harper could provide a terrific replacement for Derry. He has physical presence and can pass the ball. He and Sidwell formed Readings premier league engine room. Has he gone down hill since?

Heb 7:4
28-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Clinton's coming home...

I still think it's a dream. But it would make me very happy

MFC
28-06-2010, 11:04 PM
coming back home he agreed to re sign for us things are looking good for palace.