PDA

View Full Version : Ambrose linked with Celtic

GodstoneEagle
16-05-2010, 11:42 PM
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Neil-Lennon-poised-to-be-named-new-Celtic-boss-and-targets-Crystal-Palace-star-Darren-Ambrose-as-his-first-signing-Exclusive-article428945.html

Self-explanatory thread title. Wouldn't begrudge him a move if we got decent cash, possibly a player coming our way (loan or permanent*) and he got to play european football. The scottish league is horse shit though.

*Simon Ferry, Scott Cuthbert and a couple of others have done well out on loan from Celtic this season.

milky87
17-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Why don't Palace apply to play in the Scottish prem? We would be gaurenteed (sp?) European Football

GodstoneEagle
17-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Surely we wouldn't be allowed Milky. :clown:

It would be like teams from Wales playing in the English leagues :rolleyes:

milky87
17-05-2010, 12:17 AM
least we could appeal against all the red cards and win

Shipp Ahoy!
17-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Non starter.

Oh and yeap I would agree with the whole Scottish prem side, we could be a top one side :D

Oh south london
17-05-2010, 12:40 AM
The article says we are to be in administration for the forseeable future. Do they know something we don't? In my eyes any player who leaves an English side in the top two divisions to play their trade in the SPL shows a lack of ambition. If I were Ambrose I would opt to play for QPR over Palace any day of the week.

milky87
17-05-2010, 12:40 AM
What the story or my idea?

GodstoneEagle
17-05-2010, 12:42 AM
The article says we are to be in administration for the forseeable future. Do they know something we don't? In my eyes any player who leaves an English side in the top two divisions to play their trade in the SPL shows a lack of ambition. If I were Ambrose I would opt to play for QPR over Palace any day of the week.
But the obvious counter-argument is playing for Palace/QPR in front of 17,000 at home, and going to possibly Swindon and Scunthorpe away, as opposed to playing in front of 55k, in Old Firm derbies and in the Champions League.

Not that I totally agree with that.

Oh south london
17-05-2010, 12:47 AM
But the obvious counter-argument is playing for Palace/QPR in front of 17,000 at home, and going to possibly Swindon and Scunthorpe away, as opposed to playing in front of 55k, in Old Firm derbies and in the Champions League.

Not that I totally agree with that.

They very occassionally get past the group stages which are poor games with minimal turnouts. Furthermore there is not gaurentee of a Champions League football with Celtic having to get through their preliminary rounds. Ok the attendances are less but it must be noted that QPR, and dare I say it Palace, could be pushing for a place in the EPL which, as we all know, gains far more exposure.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
17-05-2010, 10:24 AM
The article says we are to be in administration for the forseeable future. Do they know something we don't?

It depends on how far one has the ability to see into the future ;)

ChaceTheAce
17-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Tbh, The sooner we are secure financially, the sooner everyone can relax and enjoy the summer, not forgeting the world cup.... :D

Adlerhorst
17-05-2010, 12:28 PM
The article says we are to be in administration for the forseeable future. Do they know something we don't?Nope.

I cannot see how we will be in admin in August (to be honest July actually). A deal will have been done or we will be liquidated.

JamTheEagle
17-05-2010, 12:35 PM
I for one hope he doesn't get the job then.

grovesy
17-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Mirror and Mail football stories are usually a pile of old bollix don't know why people bother posting them!

Hopefully the deal will go through soon as I'm sure we shall have to put up with all the speculation for a while yet if it doesn't.......

wedgetail
17-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Why would Ambrose want to play non league football?

AJ
17-05-2010, 01:21 PM
and going to possibly Swindon and Scunthorpe away,

I don't suppose playing at Hamilton or Kilmarnock is really any better?

Beanie
18-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Perhaps they can't "foresee" very far!

eagle101
18-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Scotland are about to have only one Champions League place as well aren't they?

Embassy No.1
18-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Yes, so Celtic are facing two qualifying rounds next season.

Celtic face Euro draw nightmare

Ronnie Cully and Alison McConnell

17 May 2010

Celtic's chances of reaching next season's Champions League Group Stage have already been hit by a massive blow.

Final day league results in Turkey saw the Parkhead club drop out of the seeds for the third qualifying round draw, which will take place on July 16 in Nyon.

Now, instead of facing teams of the calibre of AA Gent from, Belgium, PAOK Saloniki from Greece, Young Boys of Berne, Turkey's Bursaspor or Unirea Urziceni, who won at Ibrox last season, Celtic stand to be drawn against against Zenit St Petersburg, Ajax, Fenerbahce or Dinamo Kiev, with Sporting Braga or Steaua Bucharest, who can still sneak in to the seeded pot, making up the fifth possible opponent.

The ties will take place on July 27/28 and August 3/4, with the Emirates Cup played in the weekend between the matches.

If Celtic are drawn to play in either St Petersburg or Kiev, it will pose huge logistical problems for the team and their supporters, not to mention a severe test for the new manager.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/celtic-face-euro-draw-nightmare-1.1028321

philsick
18-05-2010, 03:52 PM
IF ambrose leaves and i hope he doesn't,he will go to wolves.