PDA

View Full Version : Morrison / Johnson Transfer

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

SmithEagle
15-03-2002, 07:51 PM
CLINTON Morrison has revealed that he expects to be leaving Crystal Palace in the summer.

The 22-year-old Republic of Ireland international striker, pictured above, has been Palace's star player this season, scoring 23 goals and attracting the attention of Premiership clubs.

He admits he is desperate to ply his trade in the Premiership and is disappointed that Palace's play-off ambitions look to be over.

Morrison said: "I've got two years left on my contract, but my ambition is to play at the highest level and test myself against the best. I'm at a prime age now.

"I accept that teams in the Premiership will be looking at me now because I've scored a lot of goals this season.

"And if I go to the World Cup and do well, that will put the price up and clubs will start enquiring and approaching the chairman.

"Obviously I think something is going to happen in the summer. I expect Palace to be getting bids in for me, if that doesn't happen I'll be very surprised. I've just got to get on with playing and wait for someone to come and tell me that a club has come in for me."

Your views.....

PENGE P
15-03-2002, 07:54 PM
Make him see out his contract cos I for one am sick and tired of always nurturing players for others unless we give somebody like Wayne Routledge a run, but it does not bode well when even though we are not out of it he seems to have given up the ghost, he should be fighting until it is impossible for us to go up

FOSSBLOKE
15-03-2002, 07:58 PM
Sad but very predictable - SJ needs to recoup his outlay on AA, etc as promotion is now not going to happen. As Ive said before, won't happen till after the World Cup.

I'm always sad to see a good player who's come through the juniors go but its all happened many times before and life (and the club) go on.

At least we should get a good fee....

Merton Eagle
Originally posted by PENGE P
he should be fighting until it is impossible for us to go up There aint no spirit left. Compare this season to the 88/89 season and the morale/spirit & determination is low. Some of those players in 88/89 were not the most gifted (Hopkins, Burke, Pardew, Barber) but what they achieved was excellent. We have talent this time round but no guile. Pathetic.

ammiller
Good luck to him.

If we don't go up it would be a crime if we held him back.

As Sir Stevie said about Ian Wright

"He out-grew us"

Or, as Simon & Garfunkel would put it

"Sail on silvergirl,
Sail on by.
Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way."

Regards

AMMILLER

Daddy Long
15-03-2002, 07:59 PM
Mid-table mediocrity for the forseeable future awaits.

Standyc
15-03-2002, 08:01 PM
be sorry to see him go but it's best to cash in rather than lose him on a Bosman.

although his current inability to score means we won't get anyway near what we all seem to think he's worth. £5m?? no chance.

PENGE P
15-03-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by ammiller
Good luck to him.

If we don't go up it would be a crime if we held him back.

As Sir Stevie said about Ian Wright

"He out-grew us"

Or, as Simon & Garfunkel would put it

"Sail on silvergirl,
Sail on by.
Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way."

Regards

The bloke is still only young with only a couple of seasons under his belt at least Mr Wright hung around a bit longer, and tasted life in the top level with us
AMMILLER

Plugster
15-03-2002, 08:06 PM
If we get anything more than £5m pound for him, itwould be the best bit of bussiness we will do. He is a good Div 1 striker but will be found out in the Premiership. Hid performances for us in recent weeks have been very very poor. He just plays for hiomself and nobody else. The two things that let him down the most are his dire work rate and his big mouth.

I WILL NOT BE SAD TO SEE HIM GO.

Merton Eagle
15-03-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Mid-table mediocrity for the forseeable future awaits. Exactly what I was thinking while TF dismantles more and more. I sincerely wish him well. He's ridden the waves with us and been through some tough times. Any player falling into that category is always appreciated. Plugster has a point to a degree. If he can learn to cope with his ego then he'll get there. I'm sure he learns from his naive outbursts. Example, at M Owen in League Cup. Putting him in a bigger pond with bigger fish will do his development the world of good. I just hope it is a bigger pond. I don't like Sunderland but at the moment and for the foreseeable future are a bigger club. I hope we don't settle for mid-table Div1.

Bertrand
15-03-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Plugster
If we get anything more than £5m pound for him, itwould be the best bit of bussiness we will do. He is a good Div 1 striker but will be found out in the Premiership. Hid performances for us in recent weeks have been very very poor. He just plays for hiomself and nobody else. The two things that let him down the most are his dire work rate and his big mouth.

Then you are a :clown: !!!!!

TAK
15-03-2002, 08:19 PM
Ideas above his station, methinks. He needs another year or two learning his trade, all his goals this year have come at home and mainly under Bruce where he was being fed much better balls. If he was scoring now and had been away then I'd have a higher opinion of him.

And am I the only one who feels that maybe a small bit of loyalty to the club that made you and pays your wages is deserved, at least until the deal is done and announced.

bucketbongeagle
15-03-2002, 08:25 PM
I don't want to be so negative but I have a horrible feeling the roller coaster ride may be coming to an end. I would rather have the highs and lows than a sort of numb dullness suffered by the likes of Wolves for so long, infact in a perverse way I think that's what Palace are all about, part of the fun is not knowing whats around the next corner. Over the last few months theirs been an air of doom and gloom hanging over the club, gutless performances from a team that was within arms reach of the play offs as a result the atmosphere at SP has all but died. So Morrison's off, not surprised and I don't blame him, Freedman will be next no doubt, what fun next season will bring with Badbuy chasing the endless punts up field. Nice one Trev keep up the good work.

I tell you what if my pesimistic prediction comes true I'll probably finally convince myself that it's not worth it anymore, I love Palace always will but I want a bit of entertainment for my money, I don't expect fantastic football, im realistic, just a bit of passion and commitment, something sadly missing from the manager, players and supporters alike.

Dobbo
15-03-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Standyc
be sorry to see him go but it's best to cash in rather than lose him on a Bosman.

although his current inability to score means we won't get anyway near what we all seem to think he's worth. £5m?? no chance.

Comments like that really piss me off.
How can yoiu say that when Macken has just moved for £5m.
Clinton has scored 23 goals this season. How many has Macken got ???

eaglesrus
15-03-2002, 08:27 PM
He should see out his contract. Why should we let him go? He is one of the best strikers in the first division and what hope have we got of going up if he leaves next season. He has two years left on the contract. If we are not going up this time next year then yes he should go, but at the moment he is maturing and I hope and expect him to remain with us next season.

Gavin Axten
15-03-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Dobbo

Comments like that really piss me off.
How can yoiu say that when Macken has just moved for £5m.
Clinton has scored 23 goals this season. How many has Macken got ???
--------------------------------------------------
Exactly, I posted something along those lines last week, if Mackem is worth 5m Clint must be worth 7-8m

Nobby
15-03-2002, 08:35 PM
I don't think a secret any longer that Akinbiyi was bought as a supplement to our striking force if we went up, and as a replacement for CM if we didn't. It's the only way the AA purchase makes any sense. Not good sense, either way, but sense to TF and SJ I suppose.

What is surprising is that CM is talking about it already.

NRM the 2nd
15-03-2002, 08:35 PM
Now I am a big Morrison fan, but it annoys me when players moan that the team has not done as well as they hoped so their going to leave. Clinton you have played in nearly every single game this year and as mentioned earlier we have the talent to go up but lack the passion so surely this is partly down to you and the rest of the team. So instead of putting your energy into saying you want to leave, start putting into the 90 minutes your on the pitch, and maybe just maybe you will make it with us.

Dobbo
15-03-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by eaglesrus
He should see out his contract. Why should we let him go? He is one of the best strikers in the first division and what hope have we got of going up if he leaves next season. He has two years left on the contract. If we are not going up this time next year then yes he should go, but at the moment he is maturing and I hope and expect him to remain with us next season.

Get real Eaglesrus.
If he sees out his contract and moves we get zip for him.
Jordan is in ever increasing debt, and with Francis having fcuked up our promotion chances, he will have to cash in his bigger chips.

Top Dog
15-03-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by TAK
Ideas above his station, methinks. He needs another year or two learning his trade, all his goals this year have come at home and mainly under Bruce where he was being fed much better balls. If he was scoring now and had been away then I'd have a higher opinion of him.

And am I the only one who feels that maybe a small bit of loyalty to the club that made you and pays your wages is deserved, at least until the deal is done and announced.

Exactly - I can't stand all this fishing for transfers. Show some fu**ig respect to the club you tw@t.

If players are planning to leave they should keep their fat mouths shut until they bugger off.

What sort of affect will this have on the confidence of the team?

Disgraceful.

Benzhiyi
15-03-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by NRM the 2nd
Now I am a big Morrison fan, but it annoys me when players moan that the team has not done as well as they hoped so their going to leave. Clinton you have played in nearly every single game this year and as mentioned earlier we have the talent to go up but lack the passion so surely this is partly down to you and the rest of the team. So instead of putting your energy into saying you want to leave, start putting into the 90 minutes your on the pitch, and maybe just maybe you will make it with us.

Totally agree NRM. It sounds as though Clint is basically saying that the rest of the team is showing no passion at the same time as him leading by example and playing his heart out - which is of course total rubbish. We're playing badly at the mo, but there are at least three or four players who are showing more commitment and passion, so maybe if he's so determined to get a transfer he should get his arse into gear and start looking at his own performances.

cpfcben
15-03-2002, 09:16 PM
AA went for 5m at leicester so at the very least 7m for CM

Standyc
15-03-2002, 09:19 PM

Get real Eaglesrus.
If he sees out his contract and moves we get zip for him.
Jordan is in ever increasing debt, and with Francis having fcuked up our promotion chances, he will have to cash in his bigger chips.

errr, hello Mr Contradiction
You have a go at my post saying we should cash in, then this. Wakey wakey!

My comments involving the price are a reflection on his performances/attitude, compared to Macken who is far more experienced and can offer a team more than Morrison can. Don't get me wrong, I think Morrison is great and has been a wonder through his time at Palace but am not in the slightest bit surprised that he has aired his interest to leave and will wish him all the best. I just think there may be some blinkered views on what he is worth. We may think he is worth 5/6m (some people more!!) but not to Premiership clubs where he is unlikely to be a regular starter.

Lords Eagle
15-03-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by cpfcben
AA went for 5m at leicester so at the very least 7m for CM

Yes but unfortunately it won't be Peter Taylor buying him.

LLCOOLSTEVE
15-03-2002, 09:48 PM

:p

Brod
15-03-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Standyc

Inability to score, for what 4/5 games?

He has outgrown us. Good luck to him. Now lets get loads of cash for him.

It happens, that's life. We're not ManU/Arse/Chelscum - maybe if we build for the future properly, we could be consistently Premiership mid-table.

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
15-03-2002, 10:06 PM
In the current wages climate, CM has more than paid his way with Palace. If he wants premiership football his best chance is to transfer there very soon. Itís also in Palaceís best financial interests. His goalscoring talents have been well above Nationwide standards for at least the last 2 seasons, and if the management of the club has so b0lloxed up our prospects of premiership football, then I for one completely understand his perceived necessity to move and would wish him every success. Itís his only commonsense option.

fieldy
15-03-2002, 10:29 PM
I remember when Wright left being absolutely devasted and feeling really let down him, the stick he got on every time he played against us right up to the last time in that 0-0 draw at Selhurst shows that most of us felt the same but now, with Morrison I just really couldn't care less, players show no loyalty to any clubs anymore and it is normal for them to keep moving clubs, that's just the way the games gone and not for the better. The fact that Francis is single handedly sucking all my enthusiasm and passion for CPFC out of me as well doesn't help, is it me or is anyone else just losing interest? If it's going to be like this next season minus Morrison and friends I fear another relegation battle is on the cards, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't already paid for and renewed next years season ticket!

AJ
15-03-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by bucketbongeagle
I don't want to be so negative but I have a horrible feeling the roller coaster ride may be coming to an end. I would rather have the highs and lows than a sort of numb dullness suffered by the likes of Wolves for so long, infact in a perverse way I think that's what Palace are all about, part of the fun is not knowing whats around the next corner. Over the last few months theirs been an air of doom and gloom hanging over the club, gutless performances from a team that was within arms reach of the play offs as a result the atmosphere at SP has all but died. So Morrison's off, not surprised and I don't blame him, Freedman will be next no doubt, what fun next season will bring with Badbuy chasing the endless punts up field. Nice one Trev keep up the good work.

I tell you what if my pesimistic prediction comes true I'll probably finally convince myself that it's not worth it anymore, I love Palace always will but I want a bit of entertainment for my money, I don't expect fantastic football, im realistic, just a bit of passion and commitment, something sadly missing from the manager, players and supporters alike.

I pretty sure that unless the club force he out, Freedman is staying. He has seen that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Based on Freedman's form this season, it's hard to believe that he could not even make the Notts Forest bench.
Freedman, himself has noted that he should never have left Palace in the first place. Lets' hope that is good news.

britabroad
15-03-2002, 10:36 PM
From the Guardian.

Crystal Palace striker Clinton Morrison has told the Express that he expects to leave Selhurst Park this summer. "I've two years left on my contract, but my ambition is to play at the highest level and test myself against the best, " he said. So Sunderland's reported interest isn't going to be reciprocated by the humble marksman. "I expect Palace to be getting in a lot of bids for me, if they don't I'll be very surprised," he added. Clint should be very, very surprised.:)

Arrogant little ****:grrr:

fmhall
15-03-2002, 10:52 PM
Hopefully it is not Clinton that as said all this, we all know how newspaper low lifes twist stories to suit themselves. Don't panic till it happens, it has already been suggested to me by friends that the arrival of Akinbiyi is to pave the way for Clint to leave.... Some trade off ?
Perhaps starting at the Man city game we can, for a change try and get behind AA .;)

Stonewall
15-03-2002, 11:02 PM
It's inevertible anyway, Clint's been a first team regular for three seasons or so I'm not surprised by that statement, good luck to him If that is whats going to happen!

pete eagle
15-03-2002, 11:04 PM
When actually, has a story like this actually ever been true. I doubt Clinton would actually say something like this. He probably said that he expected there would be bids and something else and it has been expanded into something else entirely.

Jordan said he wasn't for sale, so unless Morrison actually comes in and asks for a move, then i doubt he will be sold. I expect players like Hopkin to be sold first, players that actually add nothing to the club

Jason
15-03-2002, 11:57 PM
So, Morrison wants to leave . .having proved that he is good enough to warrant a chance of Premiership football. Frankly, who can blame him.

He played his heart out for this club when we really needed people to .. .I think too many people forget that fact. He has grown as a player, while we have not grown in the same was as a club. Another fact that people forget. The second of those facts justifies him wanting to go, and the first means that he should go with our best wishes.

16-03-2002, 12:20 AM
As a trained news reporter I can tell you all, that what happens in REALITY before these type of 'interview' stories appear goes something like this.
Journo rings agent and begs interview with agent's client, a certain rising star footballer (Clint). Everything set up at fancy hotel in the Gatwick area, for a bite of lunch and a bit of bubbly on the journo's expenses. Conversation:
Agent: "Well, Mr Journo, where would you like to start?"
J: " I think with all the transfer speculation about Clinton, and the big expectations for Ireland in the World Cup. Clinton, what do you make of all this transfer speculation about you in the Press? By the end of the World Cup when you've knocked in a few goals for Ireland, they'll be beating a path to your door, won't they?"
Clinton, for it is he: "Yeah, I suppose that could happen."
BINGO - we've done it.....headline reads: CLINTON MORRISON IN END-OF-PALACE CAREER SHOCK HORROR. BUDDING STAR STRIKER CLINTON MORRISON SAYS HIS DAYS AT PALACE ARE NUMBERED AND HE EXPECTS LOADS OF TRANSFER BIDS BY THE END OF THE WORLD CUP.
Meanwhile Journo and Agent get totally lego-ed on the Express expense account, whilst Clinton sneaks off to phone his mum and watch Blue Peter.
True, if you don't believe it, you're fcucking mad.

Gooders
16-03-2002, 12:20 AM
I took years to recover from the disappointment I felt when Ian Wright left. Part of that, though, was that we truly appeared to be on the verge of something and it was downhill all the way once he left.

I've never had the same feelings about potentially losing Morrison and we're certainly not on the verge of anything right now.

If he goes, good luck to him - I happen to think that he'll look really classy once he has some decent players around him - he's scored 23 goals for nothing more than a mid-table side, after all.

Just hope he doesn't go to Charlton - that I couldn't forgive.

rednbluevegas
16-03-2002, 12:32 AM
Morrisson is a striker of real quality - 23 goals in front of a midfield that has really struggled this year says alot. He is easily the most gifted striker we have had since Ian Wright and he has indeed outgrown us. I have never understood those who have given him anything less then our full support as he has been a shining star during some very bad days.

I hope he goes on to a top line club (not an Everton, Sunderland, Spurs etc) as even though Wright did undo some of the goodwill we sent him away with, I still got a buzz knowing that everything he did at Arsenal was built upon the Palace foundation.

The challenge for us is two fold:

Make sure the parting of ways with Morrisson is painless and swift (i.e. stop talking about years left on contracts etc and aknowledge that the lad needs to take the next step in his career)

Ensure that Dougie is wrapped in cottonwool and made to feel that he is now top dog. That should start with a new, improved contract and lots of training ground work to ensure that whoever partners him (lets face it, its Ade), fits around him. That will mean that we at least go into next season wih a proven stike force. This is the area that worries most wih Francis at the moment as I suspect that he does not value Dougie as high as he should.

16-03-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by beestey
As a trained news reporter I can tell you all, that what happens in REALITY before these type of 'interview' stories appear goes something like this.
Journo rings agent and begs interview with agent's client, a certain rising star footballer (Clint). Everything set up at fancy hotel in the Gatwick area, for a bite of lunch and a bit of bubbly on the journo's expenses. Conversation:
Agent: "Well, Mr Journo, where would you like to start?"
J: " I think with all the transfer speculation about Clinton, and the big expectations for Ireland in the World Cup. Clinton, what do you make of all this transfer speculation about you in the Press? By the end of the World Cup when you've knocked in a few goals for Ireland, they'll be beating a path to your door, won't they?"
Clinton, for it is he: "Yeah, I suppose that could happen."
BINGO - we've done it.....headline reads: CLINTON MORRISON IN END-OF-PALACE CAREER SHOCK HORROR. BUDDING STAR STRIKER CLINTON MORRISON SAYS HIS DAYS AT PALACE ARE NUMBERED AND HE EXPECTS LOADS OF TRANSFER BIDS BY THE END OF THE WORLD CUP.
Meanwhile Journo and Agent get totally lego-ed on the Express expense account, whilst Clinton sneaks off to phone his mum and watch Blue Peter.
True, if you don't believe it, you're fcucking mad.

Sorry to disappoint you, beestey, but all it took was a word with Clint at the training ground from the SLP :rolleyes:

selhurst
16-03-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by SmithEagle
CLINTON Morrison has revealed that he expects to be leaving Crystal Palace in the summer.

Oh well, never mind... wonder which club he'll go to? Leicester, Charlton, Ipswich or Middlesbrough.

16-03-2002, 12:57 AM
well, tmjwat, if this was run in the SLP then I don't believe a frigging word of it, chats at the training ground or not. That pro-Scumwall arsewipe rag couldn't add up 2 + 2 and print the right answer. I've never seen such a shabby excuse for a newspaper in my life, including some of the rags I've worked on. I could get personal about the SLP's staffing standards but I won't - it's not their fau entirely despite their grotesque inadequacies.
So the scenario was something like this then. SLP sportsdesk desperate for a bit of non-Scumwall news, as usual as Thursday deadline beckons. Sports Editor to Sports Journo.
"Come on son, it's your turn to make something up about Palace this week. Go down and take the piss out of that striker they got with the funny name, Clinton Eastwood or something."
Journo: "Okay boss, but where is Crystal Palace?"
Sprts Ed: "Get the office AtoZ you prat and get out of my sight, and don't come back unless you've got some bleedin copy, all right."
Having got directions from the security guard on the front desk from Streatham to Beckenham, our roving sports reporter kickstarts his 13-years-old Fiesta and is off. Three hours later after several circuits of the M25 and the eager beaver bloodhound reporter is standing on the touchlines of the aforesaid training ground, in a howling gale, watching as the Palace squad knocks a football about some three hundred yards away.
"Oi, Clinton," the hack bellows above the pouring rain and driving wind. "Clinton, Clinton, can I have your autograph, please, please, please, my young son is dying of cancer in the Mayday and this is his dying wish."
Clinton gives his trademark shrug of the shoulders and rambles over to this bloke he can only suppose is a total madman, waving a notebook and Biro at him wildly.
As Clinton gets within earshot the soaked hack screams: "Hey Clinton, I bet you'll get loads of transfer offers if you do well in the World Cup, specially as Palace are out of the play-offs now."
Eyeing the assumed lunatic carefully Clinton stops in his steps, nods, gives that famous broad grin, turns round and legs it for the safety of his teammates.
And there, my dear knackered hack tmjwat, you have your "quick word at the training ground" and how it ended up in a newspaper that's not fit to print, let alone be read by anyone of sane mind, even Scumwallers.
Now let's have an end to this sort of tosh on the Crystal Palace Football Club BBS. I don't come on in here be insulted by the likes of Scumwall c@ck-sucking tossers like the SLP.
:grrr:

pete eagle
16-03-2002, 12:59 AM
don't like it very much do ya Beestey

16-03-2002, 01:02 AM
A beautifully crafted response. I see a future as a Times leader writer beckons.

:clown:

16-03-2002, 01:03 AM
thank you, thank you, no stop, please, you're embarrassing me:p

GreatGonzo
16-03-2002, 01:04 AM
I disagree that we are not on the verge of something big!

No-one will ever have a chance like we did in 1990/91 as football has changed so much it was then or never for everyone.

But consider this

Morrison and Freedman continue to play together up front

Mullins stays in midfield and really develops there like we know he can, regains his 11+ goals a season form and builds on it.

Aki fills the other central role for us in the absence of any other good youngsters at the moment.

Black and Gray are given wide winger roles and are allowed to exploit the great potential we know they both have.

Clarke and Kolinko continue in Goal while Cronin develops his potential which has made him England No. 1 for his age.

Then we just need to strehgthen the back.

Then take into account those we have rising up through the ranks, already mentioned Cronin but what aboiut Routledge, Williams, Borrowdale and Winothai ALL being capped at varioius levels by their countries.

If we can keep all these together for the next 3-5 years we will ewin promotion, we will stay in the premiership and we will start to do well. Ok not saying Champions league but i think at the end of that 3-5 we could be challenging for minor european places.

Only problem is we need a manager who can play to ALL these players strength - BALL ON THE FLOOR!

So **** OFF Francis you are spoiling the possible dream.

But we need to keep these players together - Jordan said we would no longer be a selling club, we know Francis lies lets just hope Jordan doesn't too (unlikely but i have the fingers crossed)

Les Butler
16-03-2002, 01:21 AM
Love it :)

Even when we are 99% stright up on a story you still get the above by Beestey LOL :D Trying to make a name are we :p
I for one trust Tim at his word.

This has been on the cards (Morrison) for a while now if we did not get into the play offs.Of course Morrison wants to climb that ladder,you can see he would have liked to do it with us but we are just not good enough.

Simple really.

So where to you get all your info Beestey ? :rolleyes: :D

16-03-2002, 01:32 AM
I'm not revealing my sources, Les, least of all on the BBS. Actually, ranting aside, you have to admit that on a quiet day in the life of the SLP sports desk which devotes at least 50% of its space to Scumwall, despite there being at least FOUR other serious south London clubs that its 'readership' may happen to support, if you're really pushed for scraps to print any old stuff as long as it's got the word 'Palace' in it, why not run the old chestnut about the latest budding Palace star pissing off to some 'bigger' club if they don't get into the ....(fill in blank - play-offs, Div I, Premiership, II, Cup Final, whatever). It's been done time and time again, and eventually someone will get it right because as has been said frequently earlier in this fun thread, eventually the said budding Palace star (always a striker except Nigel Martyn and Southgate) will indeed take the top dollar and so we will have to move on, something we've found hard to do this season after the Steve Bruce debacle. Clinton's been fun for us so far, although he's had plenty of off days as well, normally due to fits of pique and mouthiness, and I only hope he stays with us one more season at least. But if he goes, he goes. Jordan trousers pots of lolly. That keeps him quiet for a while which is a blessing for all of us. Bring on Kabba, Routledge and whatever, for Christ's sake happened to bloody Rubins. ;)

Les Butler
16-03-2002, 01:43 AM
Yeah Beestey all that said and done the plain fact's is that the story is probly true about Morrison,that's what I'm going on about.

The fact of the matter is that there are other teams in South London who are most likely going to the playoffs and who are in the Prem,we do rate a poor 3rd at the mo I'm afraid what ever the paper you hate.:) ;)

16-03-2002, 01:45 AM
Just for the sake of it...and I'm not an SLP fan either :)

Today:
Palace 2.5 pages
Millwall 2.5
Charlton 2
Wimbledon 1
Dulwich Hamlet 1

16-03-2002, 01:54 AM
Les, we are mixing up two themes in the one here.
Re: Clinton Morrison getting transfer offers by the bucketload - it does not take a rocket scientist, let alone some underpaid, 18-years-old South London Press sports hack, to work out that if you score goals at the rate Clinton does, you are going to attract the attention of 'bigger' clubs than Palace. Agreed, agreed. No problems with this. I just don't swallow that Clinton ACTUALLY UTTERED the EXACT WORDS attributed to him in this piece of copy in the SLP. And that is because I have done this sort of thing myself quite often: it's a standard journalistic technique. Even when you come out and ask a question and the geezer says "No comment", you come back with "So, you're not denying it then." And footballers aren't chess grandmasters (except for Monsieur Coppell).
Meanwhile the sub-text as to why the SLP devotes such an enormous and disproportionate amount of space to Scumwall, which I have even seen them advertise on their front page, for feck's sake, doesn't get countered by you saying we aren't a bigger club than Scumwall. What about Clowntown - aren't they a bigger club, aren't they already in the Premiership? All right, I know, no-one can read in Charlton. So then there's the Wimbleweeds - surely their illustrious career merits at least equal coverage to Scumwall. Okay, okay, there are only two Wimbleweed fans that buy the SLP. So that leaves the greatest club in the universe, and what do we get from the SLP: I tell you, it's pretty poor stuff if you read it regularly like I do.
But if you're mates with this bloke 'Tim' and he says it's kosher (for once) then I'll accept that and pipe down. Now there's a thought, eh.:p

16-03-2002, 01:58 AM
let alone some underpaid, 18-years-old South London Press sports hack,

Oh, you know her do you? :D

16-03-2002, 02:01 AM
Know her, you ask...I've even offered to teach her to spell.

Streatham man
16-03-2002, 02:02 AM
Clint has been a great player for Palace, and I wish him well.

I also believe that if TF had not arrived, we would have been in a playoff spot, although I'd say our chances were only about 50-50 that we'd win and be promoted.

TF's taken away that 50% chance that we would have gone up, and Clint would have stayed.

I have this terrible feeling in my gut that TF will stick around, we'll play boring hoofball, eek out a lot of draws at home and end up in the bottom half of the table next year.

BTW, if Clint does leave, I think that Ade with some time could be a decent complement to Dougie.

16-03-2002, 02:04 AM
Mr Streatham Man, salutations to the wonderful world of SW16. I agree with your views entirely.

Les Butler
16-03-2002, 02:05 AM
and what do we get from the SLP: I tell you, it's pretty poor stuff if you read it regularly like I do.
But if you're mates with this bloke 'Tim' and he says it's kosher (for once) then I'll accept that and pipe down. Now there's a thought, eh.:p

1st: Why do you read if it so poor and full of crap ?

2nd:I would take most things as stright up with tmjwat (Tim) even if he is a Hippy and see's flying cows.
;)

Chester 76
16-03-2002, 02:10 AM
Today`s cp-fris has a Sporting Life article,which appears to be based on the same quotes as the SLP article. However it suggests that Morrison thinks Palace are going to sell him as opposed to Morrison wanting to leave.

16-03-2002, 02:12 AM
Okay Les, as usual you've got one over on me. I was not aware that BBS-er tmjwat was also your mate 'Tim' and also the much-maligned South London Press hack I've been sending up in the last few posts. Sorry, but that's the trouble with sign-on names, like my very own, which conceal one's identity. (My God, I'm beginning to sound like Trolley.)
As for reading the SLP, I am more or less compelled to buy it for other reasons which are none of your concern, but which have - I can assure you - absolutely NOTHING TO DO with wanting to be kept informed about our great club.
Apologies to tmjwat. If you look carefully at what I said in my penultimate posting (don't you just love alliteration), I am fully prepared to accept that Clinton Morrison actually spoke the words attributed to him in the SLP report - if you and tmjwat say so, though I still have a few nagging doubts. ;)

SIKO
16-03-2002, 03:09 AM
First of all Clinton has been mis-quoted, he is not going anywhere. He still wants to go on the premiership BUT WITH PALACE

Any doubters, please watch the Sky sports 'goals' programme on Sunday between 11.00 and 2.00 and here him say it himself

SIKO
16-03-2002, 03:19 AM
Despite what the SLP says, they have got it wrong and totally mis-quoted Clinton. Bear in mind this is a quality striker who has had ample opportunities to leave Palace, but has stayed, even in administration.
Yes he wants to play in the Premiership, but with PALACE.He still beleives we can make the play-offs, and will be doing his best to make sure Palace do.

On Sunday.he will be giving an interview on the Goals programme with Sky sports between 11.00 and 2.00 where he will state to all the Palace fans he wants to go into the premiership with Palace. HE IS GOING NOWHERE.

All this talk about him leaving Palace is nonsense. He is a London boy, and enjoys playing with Palace. Despite the rumours he is going nowhere, especially a club outside of London.

RedStripe Eagle
16-03-2002, 03:24 AM
hope you're right could do with himm staying esp if he goes to the world cup and gets some good experience.....can imagine that he could have got mis-quoted as he is very very thick!!!!!!!!!! probably wanted to say that he wanted to get palace to the premiership but the words came out the wrong way!!!!!!!!

SKATE
16-03-2002, 03:48 AM
Thanks SIKO for putting the record straight.

Redstripe I think you are being very unfair to Clinton. He is definitely not thick.

Walrus
16-03-2002, 04:03 AM
CLINTON WE LUV YOU :p

Already a budding Palace legend.......imagine the Hero status when he fires us to the Prem in 02-03 :D

Cue all the Clinton bashers.....:(

coppell
16-03-2002, 04:28 AM
going going going

pete eagle
16-03-2002, 04:34 AM
where's that then?

pete eagle
16-03-2002, 04:43 AM
I've just noticed that our good friend coppell has just registered to tell us the news

Wind-up, just possibly

B!tchface
16-03-2002, 04:55 AM
Coppell must be telling the truth! (im being sarcastic)

Les Butler
16-03-2002, 07:52 AM
Not the first time Clint has been misquoted ;) when it comes out in a news paper :D
Let's wait and see what happens at the end of the season:p

Clint is doing the right thing by saying he was misquoted so Palace as a team can get on with the rest of the season rather than worry about Clinton O' Morrison.

Remember Clint has been known to say one or two things that he has regretted after :p ask Liverpool:D

16-03-2002, 09:49 AM
Les, I know you're mental, but have you gone totally doolally?

hughff
16-03-2002, 10:16 AM
Only to be expected really. Very sad.
:sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:
Ok. That's enough. Time I grew up -- big sook.

Les Butler
16-03-2002, 10:22 AM
Les, I know you're mental, but have you gone totally doolally?

What don't you get Beestey ?:D

Sniper at Work
16-03-2002, 12:19 PM
SIKO-well said m8-100%right:p
Coppell-Your nothing but a W@NKER:o

file:///C:/My%20Documents/Smilies_files/images1_files/waffen041.gif

selhurst
16-03-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by SIKO
HE IS GOING NOWHERE.

I hope you're right SIKO. I can believe that Morrison has been misquoted.

sydney eagle
16-03-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by SIKO
Despite what the SLP says, they have got it wrong and totally mis-quoted Clinton. Bear in mind this is a quality striker who has had ample opportunities to leave Palace, but has stayed, even in administration.
Yes he wants to play in the Premiership, but with PALACE.He still beleives we can make the play-offs, and will be doing his best to make sure Palace do.

On Sunday.he will be giving an interview on the Goals programme with Sky sports between 11.00 and 2.00 where he will state to all the Palace fans he wants to go into the premiership with Palace. HE IS GOING NOWHERE.

All this talk about him leaving Palace is nonsense. He is a London boy, and enjoys playing with Palace. Despite the rumours he is going nowhere, especially a club outside of London. Good stuff SIKO,I believe you just as much as I believed Lady supporter. You obviously know clinton in some way and have let us in on information before that has turned out to be the truth....much appreciated:p

Blind_Eagle
16-03-2002, 02:16 PM
I was not aware that BBS-er tmjwat was also your mate 'Tim' and also the much-maligned South London Press hack I've been sending up in the last few posts.

Tim of the SLP :D

hehehehehehehehehe

16-03-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Blind_Eagle

Tim of the SLP :D

hehehehehehehehehe

I've never been more insulted in all my life :clown:

I'm going to get the Beestey Boy in the playground...

Crunchie
16-03-2002, 05:30 PM
I feel he just loves being the centre of attention at Palace. He knows the fans love him. Unless one of the top six buy him (which they wont) why fight a premiership battle with a team who doesn't know you from adam? I hope this is what he feels anyway:p

pallet
16-03-2002, 05:43 PM
As I have said before I wouldnt blame him for leaving in the summer, I really hope he does'nt though and thanks for the info Silko. Clint isnt a budding Palace legend he already is one!!!
Clinton WE LUV YA BABY
:love: :love: :love:

Gark Moldberg
16-03-2002, 06:13 PM
Sorry, but the front two next season will Doug 'n Ade, with Clint watching on from another league.

Ruskin Old Boy
16-03-2002, 06:48 PM
Top post SIKO :p

biggus mickus
16-03-2002, 07:50 PM
I hate saying this but, I think he will go. I still think that getting badbuy was part of the plan in this. Clint is young, good, and looking for higher grade football. If/when he goes I hope he finds a club that will use him in roll he is suited to best.

NSO
16-03-2002, 08:35 PM
I agree with Gark Im afraid !

16-03-2002, 09:19 PM
Okay, I'm taking time out from the non-drama at Maine Road. I am now totally confused. Perhaps Les can tell me who Tim of the SLP actually is, if he's not tmjwat. Les refers repeatedly to how reliable Tim is, so I assumed Tim was the alleged hack who got Clinton saying he was planning to leave Palace pronto.
At the beginning of this thread the Clinton words were referred to as appearing in The Daily Express, but then we were told, by tmjwat or Les, I cannot remember, that the article was in fact in that illustrious organ, the South London Press. As a result of this intelligence, I ventured to express my grave reservations that Clinton actually said those words as the South London Press is a pile of Scumwall shyte, but Les insisted some bloke called Tim (presumably the SLP hack who wrote the article having interviewed Clinton) was reliable and Les for one was happy to accept Tim's word on the absolute authority of his accuracy in quoting Clinton about his transfer aspirations.
Meanwhile tmjwat was busy explaining that the Clinton utterances were made at the training ground, and not over a booze-fuelled lunch at a hotel as I had speculated, so I assumed from that knowledge, that tmjwat, in order to know that, was in reality, the famous Tim, who was the SLP hack, who interviewed Clinton and got on the record the famous words of Clinton that he was planning to dump on the Palace this summer.
Then along comes SIKO to tell us Clinton has denied ever saying these words (thank you, right as always) and immediately Les chimes in with how wise Clinton is to deny he ever said what Tim/tmjwat of the SLP claimed he had said. This is, I assume, the same Les Butler who had ticked me off for doubting the oh-so-reliable-Tim of the SLP who is not, it now appears, tmjwat. Confused? Fecxking hell, I'm totally cream-crackered by it all. And who says the BBS is the fount of all Palace wisdom. I think the only word that suitably sums it up is BOLLOX:rolleyes:

Les Butler
16-03-2002, 10:10 PM
Do you want a five minute argument or a ten minute argument (Monty pythons);)

I think your taking all of this far far to seriously Beestey, Nuffing in life is 100% and once or twice people have been known to be wrong and at this point who knows who is right or wrong ? A off the cuff comment one on one can be denied Yes ?

Anyway we will see at the end of the season.

Plugster
16-03-2002, 11:40 PM
What do you think of Clinton's quotes in the media yesterday (icsouthlondon.co.uk). I think it is totally uacceptable for a player to so blatentley put him-self up for sale. Basically he is saying I'll be in the Premiership next season, with or without Palace.

CAN YOU STILL CHANT CLINTON'S NAME WITH PRIDE ?

Les Butler
16-03-2002, 11:45 PM
Ther you go plugster:p

Cleon
19-03-2002, 08:36 PM
I'm sorry, but those that slate Morrison's attitude simply do not watch games, but take their information from the tabloids. Morrison could have left us when we were in administration, but he stayed and scored almost twenty goals despite being out for three months with a dislocated shoulder. He could have left when Smith transfer-listed him, and attacked him publically in an appallingly unprofessional fashion, but he stayed and scored almost twenty goals despite playing for an awful team that just avoided relegation on the last day of the season. This season has been another year at clown school, with all the comings and goings, and Morrison has responded again by scoring 23 goals so far, and provided the foil Freedman has always needed for him to reach his potential as well.

If Morrison does leave, it will be another sign that this club is simply not ambitious enough, or does not have the financial muscle to compete at the highest level. It's no good replacing him with a worse player (Ade), or saying we've got exciting young prospects coming through to replace him (Routledge). We have to get those exciting young prospects to join our other quality graduates we already have in Mullins and Morrison, and build the team we all want.

I hope Morrison stays. But if he goes, I'm not going to wish him any ill-luck mind.

Merton Eagle
19-03-2002, 09:17 PM
I'll be very surprise if he gets his London team transfer this summer as he's been plugging whenever possible. I can understand a Sunderland or similar (Everton, Wolves) but I cannot see Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea wanting him, West Ham or Charlton affording him on what they commit for such transfers. I just don't see it happening.

Cleon
19-03-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Merton Eagle
I'll be very surprise if he gets his London team transfer this summer as he's been plugging whenever possible. I can understand a Sunderland or similar (Everton, Wolves) but I cannot see Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea wanting him, West Ham or Charlton affording him on what they commit for such transfers. I just don't see it happening.

Spurs should kill for him, but would have to eat a lot of humble pie, considering they let him go at 16, saying he'd never make it (just as Brighton did with Wright).

I think you're missing off a rich London club that plays Morrrison's style of football though...

chadbasher
23-03-2002, 02:08 AM
clinton is staying at palace:afro:

Ouch that Hurt!
23-03-2002, 02:09 AM
The Palace Hotel?

chadbasher
23-03-2002, 02:13 AM
your so witty doughnut

Walrus
23-03-2002, 02:18 AM
Good.

I shall gladly believe this statement until Clinton's agent proves otherwise.

Ouch that Hurt!
23-03-2002, 02:20 AM
When did he say this then?

pete eagle
23-03-2002, 02:26 AM
when he was talking to the horse

Durrrrrrrrr :D

sydney eagle
23-03-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by pete eagle
when he was talking to the horse

Durrrrrrrrr :D ROTFLMAO:D

CPFC_R_GREAT
23-03-2002, 02:50 AM
I'd love to believe although he prolly meant untill the summer he wasn't going anywhere!

Ouch that Hurt!
23-03-2002, 03:32 AM
Or anywhere for his summer holidays.

palacemad
25-03-2002, 04:32 AM
If Clinton does leave at the end of this season who would you like to see replace him??????

Vinny
25-03-2002, 04:45 AM
Van Nistle, Van Nistellro, Van nisstlroo :grrr:
Henri.

leekent
25-03-2002, 04:54 AM
burgcamp, burgkamp, bergcamp.
fowler

What?
25-03-2002, 04:55 AM
Not one to blow my own trumpet, but i reckon i could do a good job!

hughff
25-03-2002, 05:34 AM
1) Clint Morrison
2) Mikael Forssell
3) Some Championship-Manager-like nobody who becomes a god after half a season
4) No-one big, strong, slow, skill-less and clueless.

BUT....

guess which of this I think we'll sign? (OK, Clint we don't have to sign)

NO1FAN
25-03-2002, 05:43 AM
Andy Preece!!!!!!!!!

monkey
25-03-2002, 12:42 PM
Henrik Larssen,but we'll probably get Don Goodman or someone just as c**p:afro:

sydney eagle
25-03-2002, 01:14 PM
Rivaldo:p

cpfcben
25-03-2002, 01:54 PM
a serious suggestion would be chris armstrong on a free

John from Beare Green
25-03-2002, 01:56 PM
Bobby Zamora - especially if Brighton have got promoted!

(and Peter Taylor as manager would be even more fun)

BUNGLE
25-03-2002, 02:47 PM
Andy Campbell?

brighton_eagle
25-03-2002, 02:50 PM
He's not going anywhere.

HappyLarry
25-03-2002, 03:19 PM
Morrison isn't going anywhere - but according to Clinton (so I'm told)Mullins is definitley off to Villa

Merton Eagle
25-03-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by HappyLarry
Morrison isn't going anywhere - but according to Clinton (so I'm told)Mullins is definitley off to Villa That'll be acceptable transfer movement for me pre-season.

Lords Eagle
25-03-2002, 04:39 PM
If Clinton were to go, anybody know anything about this guy Allsop of Notts County, 25 goals this year for a team in relegation trouble.

Walrus
26-03-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Lords Eagle
If Clinton were to go, anybody know anything about this guy Allsop of Notts County, 25 goals this year for a team in relegation trouble.

Only seen County once this year away to Wycombe. Bearing in mind the opponents, Danny Allsop looked lively, strong, direct, and erm.....well like Ade without the hairdo and washboard stomach. Good TF style centre forward who would be a good addition to our squad, but if we're trying to bring on Routledge et al then where would Allsop fit in ?

Of course I am still banking on Super Clinton O'Morrison staying :p

randomjack
27-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Good news that I heard yesterday is that Francis is not planning to sell clinto. But is this true? and if so how long will he really stay for?

bald-eagle
27-03-2002, 03:33 PM
What he said was that he doesn't want to sell any first team players.....but when a 5/6million bid comes in for Morrisson I suspect he'll be packing his bags.

TommyEagle
27-03-2002, 03:34 PM
Of course francis does not want to sell Morrison. Even a farmer like him can see that Clint is a class act. I can still see Clint leaving in the summer though, especially if he gets a few games in the world cup. I'm sure we all fully expect to see official offers coming in for him and I wouldn't be surprised if SJ gets an offer he can't refuse - between 7 and 10m.

It would be in our interests to accept that kind of money, because as much as I'd love Clint to stay, there are other strikers out there and his sale would give us vital finance to stregthen other areas of the squad.

CPFC_R_GREAT
27-03-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by TommyEagle

It would be in our interests to accept that kind of money, because as much as I'd love Clint to stay, there are other strikers out there and his sale would give us vital finance to stregthen other areas of the squad.

Harsh to accept but fair i think!

Cyneagle
27-03-2002, 04:15 PM
Morrison's been angling for a move to a Premiership club for some time with stomach churning quotes like " I'm quite happy to be at Palace for the time being ".

I hope he thinks of that when he's warming the bench of some Premier club. If he dosen't want to play for the club any longer then best to move on.

Cleon
27-03-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Cyneagle
Morrison's been angling for a move to a Premiership club for some time with stomach churning quotes like " I'm quite happy to be at Palace for the time being ".

I hope he thinks of that when he's warming the bench of some Premier club. If he dosen't want to play for the club any longer then best to move on.

I disagree. Morrison has stuck with Palace throughout over the last few years, and has worked damn hard for the club all the time. At some point, however, any player must consider whether or not the club can match their own realistic ambitions. How much longer can any player put up with the mess that exists at Palace behind the scenes with Jordan and successive managers?

Regarding whether or not Palace would be wise to take the £5-6m they would most likely be offered for Morrison, I would also say no. Not unless we simply want to consolidate ourselves as a division one football team. We need to gamble, and hold onto our best players, and bring other talented players through to support them, such as nurturing young talent such as Routledge, and buy intelligent and talented players. The we may actually get to the Premiership, and stay there.

Daddy Long
27-03-2002, 04:52 PM
Cleon speaks the truth

TommyEagle
27-03-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Cleon

I disagree. Morrison has stuck with Palace throughout over the last few years, and has worked damn hard for the club all the time. At some point, however, any player must consider whether or not the club can match their own realistic ambitions. How much longer can any player put up with the mess that exists at Palace behind the scenes with Jordan and successive managers?

I totally agree with this Cleon. Clint has had to put up with a hell of a lot of crap going on at palace and he has never once said he wanted to leave. Every player wants to play in the prem eventually and if he can't do it with palace then I say fair play and good luck to him if he wants to move. Mind you, I still hope we keep him, as you rightly say he has been a really hard worker for our club and is clearly a player with a lot of talent.

palace ray
14-04-2002, 02:26 PM
I've read in todays paper that Cint has had a barny with Trevor Francis and he will leave the club in the summer! Looks like he's found his excuse to go now. Also this i just a rumour but Trevor Francis is reported to be intrested in Michael Mifsud who plays for Kaiserslautern he's a striker. Never heard of him myself can anyone shed some light on this if it's true?

dannyturner
14-04-2002, 02:33 PM
Did you read this in a paper, or was it the NOTW or Sunday People?

palace ray
14-04-2002, 02:39 PM
HA HA HA I see your point.

14-04-2002, 04:21 PM
Sunday Mirror:

GLENN Hoddle is set to make a £7million bid for Crystal Palace star Clinton Morrison after being given the green light to go on a summer spending spree.
Spurs supremo Daniel Levy insists the club will give their manager whatever cash it takes to compete with the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal in the transfer market.
Around £12m - raked in by the club via their new sponsorship deals with Thomson and Kappa - will boost Hoddle's financial power to around £30m.
That's on top of around £10m from Sky TV money and the potential millions he could make from selling top star Sergei Rebrov.
Hoddle is planning a major shake-up at the club, still cursing at missing out on potential cup glory and a European spot in the League.
Last year he brought in veterans Teddy Sheringham and Gus Poyet in the hope of quickfire success..
Striker Morrison - who rejected a move to Sunderland recently - is just one of number of players on a vast Hoddle wish-list.

dannyturner
14-04-2002, 04:28 PM
I don't believe this, but the general consensus at the Preston game seemed to be that £7m was an acceptable bid. Why does Clinton keep kissing his vad.. oops sorry typo, badge?

Al From Bromley
14-04-2002, 04:31 PM
Simple. he loves the club that gave hims his break in football, but, like hundreds of other players, he wants to aspire to bigger and better things. Why all the disbelief? Are you not career minded? I don't blame him in the slightest for wanting to better himself, but no doubt, in years to come, he will get booed and abused for "disloyalty". Its a funny old world.

Eagle Kneevil
14-04-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by tmjwat
Around ?2m - raked in by the club via their new sponsorship deals with Thomson and Kappa - will boost Hoddle's financial power to around ?0m.

Wow. Maybe he's talking about buying Steve Thomson and Steve Kabba. Just mis-spelt the last one.:D

venner's balls
14-04-2002, 04:41 PM
Let him go now, try to hold out for £10 million, you never know. Hoddle has shown himself to be a bit of a muppet in the transfer market so might well overpay for Morrison.

Eagle Kneevil
14-04-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Al from Bromley
Simple. he loves the club that gave hims his break in football, but...

The irony is that we got him after he was released by.........Spurs!

venner's balls
14-04-2002, 04:44 PM
Of course, if we could get £10 million for him, we could then make a serious bid for Zamora, who I think would be a fantastic buy.

Sir JB
14-04-2002, 05:02 PM
If Clint decides to leave, good luck to the lad. He has given Palace many good years of football. He has had numerous chances to leave to bigger teams but decided to stay with Palace. He has given us good memories like his goal v Liverpool. He has been top scorer for 3 (or is it 4 :confused: ) seasons now, and lets not forgot when we were in administration and he played on a reported £200 a week. Lets not forget he was transfer listed as well but decided to fight and stay. Loyal? I think so.

Latvian Eagle
14-04-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Sir JB
If Clint decides to leave, good luck to the lad. He has given Palace many good years of football. He has had numerous chances to leave to bigger teams but decided to stay with Palace. He has given us good memories like his goal v Liverpool. He has been top scorer for 3 (or is it 4 :confused: ) seasons now, and lets not forgot when we were in administration and he played on a reported £200 a week. Loyal? I think so.

I believe he was on £300 a week during administration, and his contract ran til 2001. He then signed a contract until 2005 which was only £1k a week. I don't know if he's had a pay rise now though.

Sir JB
14-04-2002, 05:56 PM
Yeah I was basically trying to say he played on a low wage for us when he could have done a lot better.

Dartford Lad
14-04-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by palace ray
Also this i just a rumour but Trevor Francis is reported to be intrested in Michael Mifsud who plays for Kaiserslautern he's a striker. Never heard of him myself can anyone shed some light on this if it's true?

Michael Mifsud is a Maltese international forward and is about 21 I think.
He only joined Kaiser last summer.
Wouldn't be a bad back-up striker. :cool:

OOCO
14-04-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by venner's balls
Let him go now, try to hold out for £10 million, you never know. Hoddle has shown himself to be a bit of a muppet in the transfer market so might well overpay for Morrison.

Well Peter Crouch went for almost £6 million so we can easily demand £10 million on that basis.

palacerob
15-04-2002, 01:18 AM
According to someone that i spoke to today a guy on the radio said that Clinton is in the eye of Arsen Wenger, it is belived that he will be playing for them next season for a good price. Anyone else heard this or is it just another bulls!ht rumour?

muswell eagle
15-04-2002, 01:21 AM
Sunday Times said he was going to Spurs for £7M as part of £30M Hoddle was going to spend in the summer.

John.K
15-04-2002, 01:21 AM
Did you hear in exchange we are getting the french connection, Henry, Pires and Vierra! What a poor deal on our part!;) :D

LLCOOLSTEVE
15-04-2002, 01:22 AM
Rumours, rumour's, rumour's...........:rolleyes:

palacerob
15-04-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by John.K
Did you hear in exchange we are getting the french connection, Henry, Pires and Vierra! What a poor deal on our part!;) :D
Funny man John!

John.K
15-04-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by muswell eagle
Sunday Times said he was going to Spurs for £7M as part of £30M Hoddle was going to spend in the summer.

£30m that is in Hoddle's dream!:rolleyes:

Gooders
15-04-2002, 01:28 AM
Arsenals strikers - Henry, Bergkamp, Wiltord, Kanu & Jeffers - why on earth would they want Morrison?

Jolly Norwegian
15-04-2002, 01:31 AM
If Morrison went to Arse, it would be a very bad careermove. He wouldn't get many minutes on the field, with the abovementioned strikers ahead of him. I mean, he's a good div 1-striker, but compared to Henry? Sorry, no go. If he were to leave, I would think that Spurs would be a team where he'd get time on the field. Hope he won't leave, though. Of course!! :(

Walrus
15-04-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
Arsenals strikers - Henry, Bergkamp, Wiltord, Kanu & Jeffers - why on earth would they want Morrison?

'Cos Franny Jeffers is a real liability thanks to Everton never letting him recover from injury. He'll see more of the physio than Darren Anderton.

Ruskin Old Boy
15-04-2002, 02:04 AM
Timely reminder Sir JB - well said - I doubt if many people knew/know how little Morrison, Mullins and co were earning during that period. Whether he goes or stays he's done more than enough already to earn a place in the Palace list of top players.

Ruskin Old Boy
15-04-2002, 02:09 AM
Have a read of this: http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20247

The lady next door said I must be important because I told her son I go the Palace quite often;) :cool:

ozeagle
15-04-2002, 02:18 AM
far too good for div 1, he's given us great service and is a palace lad at heart, surely he's reached that point in his life where he has to test the deeper waters, who knows what he could do with some class service....

speaking of class service ? andres rubins..most inspired performance since i have been here. TF must go.

arussell
15-04-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by ozeagle
speaking of class service ? andres rubins..most inspired performance since i have been here. TF must go.

1+1=3 ?

I fail to see the point you're trying to make.

Are you saying Rubins should have been playing all season and that Francis is to blame ? - if so, you are wrong on all accounts.

15-04-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle

I'm struggling with your point here as well Oz.

Surely Steve Kember has been the fly in Rubins soup? (He openly said he thought he was Kak at a forum)
Maybe TF has finally concluded that SK is a Guinness short of another falling over and decided to make his own mind up.

Thank Goodness.

I really rate Rubins and think he should have been in the team weeks ago. (I also have a degree in hindsight)

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/fart.gif

Thin on Top
15-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
Rumours, rumour's, rumour's...........:rolleyes:

Why do we bother Fawlty ?

Gooders
16-04-2002, 12:33 AM
Didn't know you did Major.

firesign
16-04-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by John.K

£30m that is in Hoddle's dream!:rolleyes:

Spurs today signed a £15m kit deal with Kappa and a £4m shirt sponsoship deal with Thompsons - so I imagine that will top up their kitty quite nicely. However, I have no idea whether or not any of it will go on Morrison. I am not convinced that Morrison will be leaving

Ruskin Old Boy
16-04-2002, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Bumgas

I also have a degree in hindsight

And a post-graduate degree in foresight?;)

JABBA
16-04-2002, 03:20 AM
Daily Star today says he has pledged his future to the club.

Also, before the Preston game when he came out of his car, someone asked whether he was leaving, he said 'no'.

Then someone said well done getting a place to the World Cup, and he said, 'no one has told me Im going'.

arussell
16-04-2002, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by firesign
Spurs today signed a £15m kit deal with Kappa and a £4m shirt sponsoship deal with Thompsons

All of which of course will be payable over a period of time - not at once.

Justin
16-04-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by arussell

All of which of course will be payable over a period of time - not at once.

and the relevance of that comment....? The transfer fee would be spread over a period of time as well.

Not that i have a clue whether he is staying or not!!

Dobbo
16-04-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by JABBA

Then someone said well done getting a place to the World Cup, and he said, 'no one has told me Im going'.

Sadlier from Millwank has dropped out due to needing a summer op, so I'll be very surprised if he doesn't go.

Oisin
16-04-2002, 12:53 PM
Having watched all of Clintonís games for Ireland (and most of those over the past two years he hasnít played in) Iíd be very surprised if he didnít go to Japan.

Beanie
16-04-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Justin

The transfer fee would be spread over a period of time as well.

Would it (or any fee)? It's by no means certain any club can ask for the money up front.

arussell
16-04-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Justin
The transfer fee would be spread over a period of time as well.

Err .. maybe - it would depend on what the SELLING club's terms were !

brighton_eagle
16-04-2002, 03:24 PM
All these rumours about arguments with TF meaning Clint is leaving is BOLLOX. He stuck out Smith, administration etc etc. He will only leave IF Jordan decides to cash in on him now. Personally, I don't think Jordan will, although whether or not he does will be a good sign of the level of his continuing ambition for our club.

If I were SJ I would hold on to him for another season. Why not? He's under contract, very unlikely to be worth less this time next year (much more likely to be worth more) and is JUST what we need in our promotion push next season. If we go up, all well and good, Clint stays and signs a new contract, we strengthen the team. If we don't, Clint is sold rather so we cash in, rather than him not re-signing and leaving on a free.

I think if any first teamers leave, which personally I don't think they will, it is MUCH more likely to be Freedman or Mullins. However, I expect to see them all still there next season, with maybe the addition of one player (a creative playmaking midfielder)

16-04-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
with maybe the addition of one player (a creative playmaking midfielder)

Michael Brown?

Malakite
16-04-2002, 04:26 PM
This is from a REAL newspaper..speculation DOES seem to be growing on old Morrison, and a mate of mine close(ish) to Jordan said that he told him that any 'decent' offer for Morrison would be very hard to turn down..by 'decent', apparently he meant anything over 3million..Hope its NOT the case though :(

Eagle Kneevil
16-04-2002, 04:29 PM
CHIMERICAL

brighton_eagle
16-04-2002, 04:31 PM
Why the hell did Cresswell get a 7?? Was I the only one that thought he couldn't have scored if he had played all day!!

SKATE
16-04-2002, 04:38 PM
Which 'real' newspaper was that then. Unless it was the independent its the same old recycled stuff we've been talking about on here for weeks.

Dobbo
16-04-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by SKATE
Which 'real' newspaper was that then. Unless it was the independent its the same old recycled stuff we've been talking about on here for weeks.

It was Monday's Times which probably means the reporter read
the Sunday People

Beanie
16-04-2002, 05:23 PM

It was Monday's Times which probably means the reporter read
the Sunday People

To right - none of this is new, just being reprinted in different papers. No paper wants to be the one which didn't run the story just in case he does move, so everybody repeats it. It's not gathering momentum, just cheap journalism - even if the paper is big.

As was said above, the only paper which DOES have credibility on Palace stories is just about the only one which isn't running this rumour.

Jimbo ?
18-04-2002, 10:40 PM
what ever the rumours - i am resigned to losing Morrison in the summer but i just hope that we get £8M+ for him

drl199
19-04-2002, 05:34 PM
Wether Clinton goes or stays, lets jus be thankful that we ever had him. Unless Freedman scores 3 or 4 against WBA clint will be our top league goalscorer for the fourth season on the trot. Only one player has ever done this before and that was Peter Simpson in the 1930's.

Clint is allready right up there with the best of them.

Beanie
19-04-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by drl199
Unless Freedman scores 3 or 4 against WBA ......

No mean achievement when he won't even be playing!!

Dartford Lad
19-04-2002, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't be overly bothered if Clint went.- Its who we get in to replace him that bothers me........ :eek:

East-End Eagle
19-04-2002, 08:06 PM
At last Clinton gets the credit he deserves, without him we would have been screwed 3 years ago, if he does go, and I still hope he doesn't , he will get nothing but applause on his return from me.

pedro
21-04-2002, 09:06 PM
Good luck to Clinton if he does move on, his ability does deserve a chance in the top flight. However, I have been a little disappointed with his performances over the last few weeks and today was no exception. He just seemed to be going through the mations with his heart and mind elsewhere (Japan, Korea and the Premiership). I wish him the best but I had hoped he would go out all guns blazing, rather than with a whimper.

Walrus
22-04-2002, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by pedro
Good luck to Clinton if he does move on, his ability does deserve a chance in the top flight. However, I have been a little disappointed with his performances over the last few weeks and today was no exception. He just seemed to be going through the mations with his heart and mind elsewhere (Japan, Korea and the Premiership). I wish him the best but I had hoped he would go out all guns blazing, rather than with a whimper.

Very good shout Pedro. Any Prem scout watching him over the last month would have been quite unimpressed. Unless that's the master plan for Clinton to stay at Palace :p

Illeagel
24-04-2002, 07:19 PM

Here here that man !!!

His work rate in the last few games of the season was terrible.

Have to give him credit though for the 20+ goals he scored for us this season (most of which were in the first half of the season) and he has got off to a good start with his international career.

When you bring in managerial idiots like Francis you're never going to hold on to your best players. TF has never utilised to the best of his ability, so you cannot blame him for his frustration .

Lets just hope that he plays a blinder in the World Cup (which I have a funny feeling that he will) and then we can maximise on the transfer fee.

Surely clubs like Spurs & Fulham must be screaming out for a young player like Clinton???

pedro
24-04-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Illeagel
Surely clubs like Spurs & Fulham must be screaming out for a young player like Clinton???

Yes, but is Clinton screaming for them? I think he has his sights set higher than either a mid table or struggling Premiership team, that is why he said that Blackburn or Bolton were not big enough for him. Unless one of the big boys come in for him he will still be at Palace next year.

King_Gazza
25-04-2002, 12:12 PM
According to the ever reliable Sun Steve Bruce has bid £5Million for the Crystal Palace striker only to have the bid rejected by Simon Jordon, but Jordan also said that if its the right bid for this club i will give it due consideration,
I hate to say it but I think we may lose Clinton unless his heart is at Palace????

Gazza2
25-04-2002, 12:16 PM
They are just repeating what Simon Jordan said at the Fans Forum on Monday night when he revealed that Bham did bid £5m 2 months ago.

Samo*
25-04-2002, 12:21 PM
I wouldnt sell him for under 9 mill,if i had to!
Please stay clint!:)

Beanie
25-04-2002, 12:36 PM
The "news" that Jordan would sell Clinton for "the right price" should come as no surprise. As he said (SJ) ANY player has his price. Liverpool would sell Owen and Moan would sell Beckham for "the right price". The only point of any note in the Birmingham story is that £5m isn't the right price - so anybody else interested knows that they've got to go above that - and I would guess WELL above that.

Flappy Chicken
25-04-2002, 01:15 PM
He has a bad attitude so get rid of the lazy moaning Bar Steward! Talk like that just unsettles the team. As if the team isn't unsettled enough :veryangry

Son of Shacker
25-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Does SJ coming out and 'publicly' saying that "Clint could be sold for the 'right' money" sound like he could be talking his price up?

It would obviously be a large setback if Clint went but does anyone think he has got the patience to wait around for another year in the first division. CM is going to the World Cup and he is going to want to play in the Prem now and not maybe in 12 months time.

What can we do about it. Nothing. What can SJ do about it. Nothing.

You never know he might stay.

Beanie
25-04-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Son of Shacker
Does SJ coming out and 'publicly' saying that "Clint could be sold for the 'right' money" sound like he could be talking his price up?

It would obviously be a large setback if Clint went but does anyone think he has got the patience to wait around for another year in the first division. CM is going to the World Cup and he is going to want to play in the Prem now and not maybe in 12 months time.

What can we do about it. Nothing. What can SJ do about it. Nothing.

You never know he might stay.

Point is this is NOT NEW - SJ said pretty much the same thing end of last season. It's a common sense statement. I doubt that Clinton will leave, but the fact is that if a big enough bid came in from a big enough club he'd be on his way. It's hardly a revelation. If the bidding gets to £10m the pressure will be on.

ultra_combo
25-04-2002, 04:24 PM
with Clinton Morrison moaning about wanting to leave and play in the Premiership, I sugest that we ask Fulham for a swap for Saha.

they want a good striker and they are in 25mil in the red. and saha is about forth choice as it is. so they would say yes.

remember how many goals is scored for them to get them out of this division. he could do that with us as well.

www.geocities.com/ultra_combo (http://www.geocities.com/ultra_combo) :p

Daddy Long
25-04-2002, 04:25 PM
They'd probably offer us Hayles instead.

Ralph
25-04-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by ultra_combo
with Clinton Morrison moaning about wanting to leave and play in the Premiership, I sugest that we ask Fulham for a swap for Saha.

they want a good striker and they are in 25mil in the red. and saha is about forth choice as it is. so they would say yes.

remember how many goals is scored for them to get them out of this division. he could do that with us as well.

Im not going to even ask your sources on these.

GUCCI Eagle
25-04-2002, 04:32 PM
I just pulled this off your website. It's your description of Jennifer Love Hewitt, who holds eighth place in your Top Ten Birds list that only has eight birds in it.

jennifer love hewit is one of the fittest birds around. and if you saw I still know what you done last summer. with her wearing a binkine you will know why

GUCCI Eagle
25-04-2002, 04:35 PM
I recommend everyone has a look at ultra_combo's website, it's the funniest thing I've seen in ages. I've got tears in my eyes. :)

Palace Don
25-04-2002, 04:36 PM
I reckon that Clinton leaving will only happen if he has a good world cup, otherwise he will still be at Palace next year, but I suspect that he would want to see Jordan/Francis aiming high for him to stay?

Essexeagle
25-04-2002, 04:38 PM
Yeah - I'd imagine with a billionaire chairman, Fulham will probably have to offload a few players to avoid going bankrupt.

Skin Up
25-04-2002, 04:40 PM
I've just checked out Ultra_Combos website as well, I bet FHM and Loaded are sh1tting themselves.

A.D.
25-04-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle
I recommend everyone has a look at ultra_combo's website, it's the funniest thing I've seen in ages. I've got tears in my eyes. :)

I've just had a look, a work of sheer comedy genius if you ask me.

GUCCI Eagle
25-04-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Skin Up
I've just checked out Ultra_Combos website as well, I bet FHM and Loaded are sh1tting themselves.

The description of his webpage is the best bit. ultra_combo, you've made my day, you're a comic genius:

Hi. Let me tell you about this webpage. In this webpage are going to be my top 10 favourite sexist gorgegous fittest bird.

TAK
25-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Ralph

Im not going to even ask your sources on these.

Ralph Fulham made an operating loss of 27Million and that was for their promotion season!!! God know what it's going to be this year.

Their Uncle Mo has deep pockets but one day is going to want a return.

GUCCI Eagle
25-04-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by A.D.

Now read through it with Ali G's accent, a squirt of wee came out I was laughing so much.

Right, I'm off out because all the sexist gorgegous fittest birds are out in the sunshine and they ain't wearing many clothes innit.

Dodger
25-04-2002, 04:53 PM

I can't access the damn thing, says it has 'exceeded it's allocated transfer space' or something.

I feel like I am missing out on England's greatest (unwittingly) comic genius

sydney eagle
25-04-2002, 04:54 PM
I recommend everyone has a look at ultra_combo's website, it's the funniest thing I've seen in ages. I've got tears in my eyes. :) the link won't work for me :sob:

GUCCI Eagle
25-04-2002, 05:02 PM
It's not working for me now either. Maybe he took it offline. I hope it comes back on, because it was absolutely superb.

GUCCI Eagle
25-04-2002, 05:47 PM
www.geocities.com/ultra_combo

It's working again now. :)

Daddy Long
25-04-2002, 05:55 PM
www.geocities.com/ultra_combo

It's working again now. :)

Yup. The bit that had me laughing was the description of Katie Holmes:

"katie is a girl that is both smart and good looking that is a rare combination a star of dawsons creek and some other not so great films. but in the watcher she gets her tits out. "

Inspirational :)

middleeagle
25-04-2002, 11:21 PM

Wot a prik how can u say that i bet u was likin his bum at the beginin of the season wen judas was ere. and i spose u fink akinbiyi is the best player eva to walk the earth. if afroman is worth 2.4m morrison is easily worth double that if not more

garner
26-04-2002, 03:25 AM
Birmingham have failed in a £5million raid to snatch Crystal Palace's Clinton Morrison, according to Eagles chairman Simon Jordan.
Jordan has confirmed that boss Steve Bruce attempted to lure the highly-rated Republic of Ireland international to St Andrews this season and submitted an offer worth £5million. However, the City chief wanted to pay in instalments for his former charge - a deal which was not suitable to Jordan, who insists the tricky hitman will only leave Selhurst Park for the right fee.
He said: "We have only had one offer for Clinton and that was from Birmingham City. But they wanted to pay in instalments and only when we get a bid right for this club will we consider it."
Morrison is still, however, expected to quit The Eagles in the summer after he returns from the World Cup and Bruce may well renew his interest in the 22-year-old, who has scored 22 goals this season, if Birmingham reach the Premiership.

I wish Bruce would just fķck off

26-04-2002, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by A.D.

Is that how we're spelling '******' these days? :D

The site is funny, but sadly not in any intentional way...

"small picture but big chest. that describes anna best"

It does? :rolleyes:

What?
26-04-2002, 04:29 AM
Bruce is taking the piss!

Dillenger
26-04-2002, 04:46 AM
sometimes its just depressing being a palace fan. clinton has been our top scorer for 4 consecutive seasons, has improved his game consistently throughout, and shown a real love for palace, but still the w*nkers slate him.

where i sit in block c theres a bloke that every week calls him a c*nt, a lazy prick and a w*nker, without fail every week. if i was clinton i would have f*cked off years ago, instead he's been loyal and stayed and fought, and still people slate him.

does dougie get the same critisicm when he has a bad game ? no. i wonder why that is.

glaziers fan
26-04-2002, 05:09 AM
have none of you thought of the fact that Jordan might have said that it was Birmingham who made the bid tongue-in-cheek?! I mean he might just be trying to wind up Bruce by spreading untruths about his club in the tabloids and making him wish he could have what he'll never get!!

Please stay Clinton, we love you!

He's worth more than 12M Jordan, and whats the point in selling him anyway?! He could be sold for even more in a few years time, and help us win promotion and a 10M jackpot in the meantime! I would sell no-one any good until we win promotion! Even if we were offered 20M, I shudder to think who Francis wud waste the money on! And a first division club is never gonna be able to attract the proven, quality players that we would need to guarantee promotion and that we will need once we are eventually in the Premiership. We need to keep building the skyscraper now and not knock down the first 12 storeys because otherwise we'll be moving backwards! A lot of building work has been done, and there is no point starting again. We dont need a mass clearout of the site; only the deadwood surrounding the building, on our plot of land needs to go! We need to continue building and not get distracted by other's interest in our magnicicent structure that is taking shape; we need to add to it!!! So i say, lets make a bid for a QUALITY creative midfielder! If we were to start selling again, then even if we were to fluke promotion, there would be so much building left to do, we wouldn't be able to hope to complete it in time to stop relegation

AJ
26-04-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Dillenger
sometimes its just depressing being a palace fan. clinton has been our top scorer for 4 consecutive seasons, has improved his game consistently throughout, and shown a real love for palace, but still the w*nkers slate him.

where i sit in block c theres a bloke that every week calls him a c*nt, a lazy prick and a w*nker, without fail every week. if i was clinton i would have f*cked off years ago, instead he's been loyal and stayed and fought, and still people slate him.

does dougie get the same critisicm when he has a bad game ? no. i wonder why that is.

I made a comment questioning why Akinbiyi gets so much abuse and when I aired my feelings, I was attacked from every corner, telling me I was talking out my ar#e. If, you are suggesting what I think, then beware of those who cannot see beyond their own noses:eek:

Cleon
26-04-2002, 05:52 PM

Just got to accept that there will always be a few tw@ts within swiping distance of your seat Dillenger.

I'm slightly concerned by the fact that Jordan is being reported as having said he turned down Birmingham's bid, not because it wasn't high enouhg, but because of the proposed payment process. I personally think Clinton will still be a Palace plyer in August, and I think to lose him would be a disaster which would possibly end up in our eventual relegation from Division One. But if Jordan is set on tihs crazy path, then I'd want more than 5m to spend a significant time in a lower division than Brighton.

Top Dog
26-04-2002, 06:30 PM
The first comment Jordan made was that the payment method was not satisfactory (a sly swipe at Brum's finances?) but then he ALSO said that £5 million was no-where near the club's valuation, which would seem to be good news.

We could always do what West Ham have done with Sinclair, and simply refuse all bids, forcing him to stay.

kolinkins
26-04-2002, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by glaziers fan
[B]have none of you thought of the fact that Jordan might have said that it was Birmingham who made the bid tongue-in-cheek?! I mean he might just be trying to wind up Bruce by spreading untruths about his club in the tabloids and making him wish he could have what he'll never get!!

totally agree, especially seeing as when bruse left, part of the deal was no selling of players to them!

Beanie
27-04-2002, 03:19 PM
There's a thread elsewhere - but on Soccer AM Clint has AGAIN said that he hopes to be at Palace next season.

Add to this the fact that Francis has said that none of the players who appeared regularly in the squad are for sale and the fact that SJ has said there is no need to sell - even allowing for the loss of the tele money - and it seems to me that Clinton will be around in August unless some club comes in with a real silly money bid backed with silly money wages. There aren't too many even in the Prem who could manage it I don't think, given the doubt about future income and the fact that most are pretty steatched now.

dannyturner
27-04-2002, 06:48 PM

Do you ask him to stop?

palacejock
28-04-2002, 04:15 PM
Oh yes there is - a bunch of dickheads near me constantly get on Freedman's back- scoring a hat-trick and setting-up the other two would still not be enough for some of these nutters. You just have to accept that people have got to have a boo-boy to moan at. Me - its Craig Harrison and JG but others on these boards think he's the best thing on the left wing since........ who knows. Just accept it and beleive people watch a different game to you.

Martin H
28-04-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
There's a thread elsewhere - but on Soccer AM Clint has AGAIN said that he hopes to be at Palace next season.

I hope you're right but the bit I saw he lowered his head when asked and mumbled a 'hope so' when asked. Wasn't too convincing. Anyway, I am not going to worry about it - let's wait and see. What I do know is that he will go some time and when he does I will be disappointed but not surprised. 'We are Palace' after all and what class player have we ever kept from start to finish? Even the top clubs seem to move on their squads more frequently now.

Eagle Kneevil
28-04-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Martin H
I hope you're right but the bit I saw he lowered his head when asked and mumbled a 'hope so' when asked. Wasn't too convincing.

Actually that is Clinton being ecstatic, happy, miffed, outraged, pensive, asleep..........

28-04-2002, 06:42 PM
From the official Southampton web-site...

'Saints are said to be ready to bid £3m for Sheffield Wednesday defender Leigh Bromby or an incredible £8m for Palace striker Clinton Morrison.'

Martin H
28-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Make it £8m and £2.50 and he's yours!

AJ
28-04-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by tmjwat
From the official Southampton web-site...

'Saints are said to be ready to bid £3m for Sheffield Wednesday defender Leigh Bromby or an incredible £8m for Palace striker Clinton Morrison.'

Maybe, Palace should sell for 8m and then use the money to buy SP off Noades?

kit82
28-04-2002, 07:05 PM
Can you post a link up for that because I cant find it anywhere!

Martin H
28-04-2002, 07:07 PM
Teamtalk says bid for £5m but they are told another £3m if you want to talk to him - i.e. £8m.

Just love this 'loose change banter'

28-04-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by kit82
Can you post a link up for that because I cant find it anywhere!

www.saintsfc.co.uk/01_02/news/011230c.shtml

(just realised - might be an old link - but the story's being resurrected)

pete eagle
28-04-2002, 07:45 PM
Southampton can't afford £8m for one player.

Anyway they have James Beattie,Marian Pahars,Brett Ormerod, Agustin Delgado and Fabrice Fernandes already, they don't need another striker

Jimbo ?
29-04-2002, 12:46 AM
i cant see him going to southampton - £8M+ to spurs.....etc would do me fine

Walrus
29-04-2002, 12:56 AM
Southampton can't afford £8m for one player.

Anyway they have James Beattie,Marian Pahars,Brett Ormerod, Agustin Delgado and Fabrice Fernandes already, they don't need another striker

Pahars excepted, they could actually use a striker who is any good :o They could even move Pahars to the wing and go with Clinton/Beattie up front.

I also have a sneaky feeling that the Saints are a club with a stable financial footing having taken all the Sky money over recent years and not blown it all on huge signings and mega wage deals. I reckon they could find the reported £8 million to open talks with Clinton.

And Saints aren't too far from South London if that's on Clint's mind.....

pete eagle
29-04-2002, 01:17 AM
James Beattie no good:eek:

I think quite a few saints fans would object to that

AJ
29-04-2002, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Martin H
Teamtalk says bid for £5m but they are told another £3m if you want to talk to him - i.e. £8m.

Just love this 'loose change banter'

I just cannot see Palace telling Southampton that 8m will do it. I am sure that is just Teamtalk talking crap again.
Jordan would just reject the offer and wait to see how much he can keep pushing up the price.

Cleon
29-04-2002, 01:32 PM
I can see Jordan accepting £8m unfortunately. Remember, Strachan has a record of spending reasonable sums on buying quality players from Division One, such as Robbie Keane, Craig Bellamy and Lee Hughes. I want Clinton to stay, but if he had to go, £8m to Southampton would not be the worse place I could imagine him moving off to.

James
29-04-2002, 02:08 PM
We all know what Clinton is worth - and it's a lot more than £5million - but I suspect that we may see dramatic player deflation in the Summer, if the ITV Digital collapse is as bad as it sounds for the Football League. There will be a flood of good players put onto the market at the same time, so prices will fall. Indeed they may plummet.

This may not be completely bad news however. If prices go too low, then Jordan may decide that it isnít worth selling him. Jordan has indicated that £8 million is the benchmark price. It may be that nobody will bid anywhere near that. The other point to keep in mind is that if all prices drop, then decent replacements will become available at rock bottom prices.

bucketbongeagle
29-04-2002, 02:59 PM
I think SJ got it about right, obviously I don't want to see him go but if someone does come up with £ 8 mil. then you could understand him taking the money, particularly in the current climate. It's a lot of cash for someone who is unproven in the Prem.

Top Dog
29-04-2002, 03:05 PM
Well, I'm certainly heartened by Jordan's comments.

It seems if Clinton does leave this summer, at least I will get the compensation of Jaffa's tenner.

kolinkins
29-04-2002, 11:55 PM
i would love nothing more than pfor clinton to be with us next season but - with all the itv rubbish etc, several managers eg: our own TF and glenn hoddle are predicting a huge drop in transfer fees, wages etc, so i would accept £8mill knowing that in a year, we wont be able to get that much coz football will be running out of money

Walrus
30-04-2002, 12:53 AM
James Beattie no good:eek:

I think quite a few saints fans would object to that

Hehe. He would of course been a better player had he come here just before embarking on his goal blitz last season :sob:

So glad you didn't give me the :eek: for branding Kevin Davies as useless.

pete eagle
30-04-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Walrus

So glad you didn't give me the :eek: for branding Kevin Davies as useless.

i knew i was forgetting someone:D

celery stick
30-04-2002, 02:45 AM
Plugster says -

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats all very well Plugster - but the thought of Francis let loose with 5million is a frightening prospect.
Now 5 million in Peter Taylors hands is a different matter.

cheers
celery stick

ANYONE BUT FRANCIS

GUCCI Eagle
30-04-2002, 02:46 AM
Francis didn't buy Akinbiyi for £7m then?

celery stick
30-04-2002, 03:04 AM
Gucci wrote

Francis didn't buy Akinbiyi for £7m then?

____
Did you mean Taylor? Good point if you did.

But Francis spent 2.4 million on F'Akin Bad Buyi!

2.4 million, 1 million, 500,000, its still a waste of money and Francis should bog off rather than waste any money we might get from selling Morrison.

Taylor now

cheers
CELERY STICK

ANYONE BUT FRANCIS

Walrus
30-04-2002, 09:44 PM
Yep, Peter Taylor would spend those millions on Junior Lewis.

Give me TF's transfer record (at Palace so far) any day over Taylor's.

Gazza2
01-05-2002, 03:39 PM
And Taylor paid a few million for Jones the young midfielder from Leeds. What a load of rubbish he is.

Celestial Empire
02-05-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Walrus

I also have a sneaky feeling that the Saints are a club with a stable financial footing having taken all the Sky money over recent years and not blown it all on huge signings and mega wage deals. I reckon they could find the reported £8 million to open talks with Clinton.

And Saints aren't too far from South London if that's on Clint's mind.....

Do you actually know Southampton ? It's a long journey from South London, both actually & metaphorically - a sleepy, down-at-heel, dump, (come to think of it, that sounds exactly like South London :rolleyes: )

They may have been cautious with the dosh, but they have a biggish squad (most Prem clubs can't even pay their wage bill), and a brand new stadium to pay for.

Neckinger Eagle
03-05-2002, 04:14 PM
Sorry if somebody has already pointed this out, but I would be very suprised if Palace could get now more than 2-3 Million pounds for Morrison.

Firstly, his club form tailed off at the end of the season. This probably wasn't his fault, after all Pele would have had difficulty playing in a Trevor Francis team.

Secondly, with the collapse of ITV Digital, the transfer market now favours the buyers. The top Premiership clubs like Arsenal and Manchester United aren't going to be interested in him: let's not kid ourselves he is in the same league as the likes of Anelka, Tristan and Flo.

Without ITV Digital money, there can only be four to five Football League teams with the financial backing to afford to pay any kind of money out for players, and he's not likely to want to stay in Division 1 anyway. Which only leaves the struggling Premiership clubs like Bolton, Sunderland and Middlesboro'. With so many players now available and so few clubs willing to spend the cash, these clubs are hardly likely to spend £7M on Morrison when they can get quality players on a Bosman. How much did Bolton spend on Djorkaeff and Bobic? Probably at lot, but all on their wages.

I can't see him being noticed abroad, either. True, he's going to the World Cup, but not as a first choice striker, and not playing for one of the fancied nations.

Cleon
03-05-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Neckinger Eagle
Sorry if somebody has already pointed this out, but I would be very suprised if Palace could get now more than 2-3 Million pounds for Morrison.

Is that why Birmingham (definitely) and Southampton (reportedly) have bid £5m for him in the last two weeks?

With so many players now available and so few clubs willing to spend the cash, these clubs are hardly likely to spend £7M on Morrison when they can get quality players on a Bosman. How much did Bolton spend on Djorkaeff and Bobic? Probably at lot, but all on their wages.

Djorkaeff is a marvellous player, but will only last a year or two at the most. If you buy Morrison, you are investing in a player who you hope will get better and better over a number of years, and still retain a sell-on value at the other end. None of which you get by picking up older players at the tail of their careers, however marvellous.

I can't see him being noticed abroad, either. True, he's going to the World Cup, but not as a first choice striker, and not playing for one of the fancied nations.

I can't see him going abroad - I have difficultly imagining him outside of London! But he is going to the World Cup as third choice striker, and one of the first choice's is notoriously injury prone (Niall Quinn). I expect Clinton will get, at the very least, 20 minutes of World Cup football. All he's got to do is what he did when he got his first five minutes of first team football at Palace (CP v Sheffield Wedn, Prem, 1998) - and that was to score with his first and only touch!

I think Jordan's valuation of £8m is about right, but I think he will be worth more in a few years time.

James
03-05-2002, 04:35 PM
I too would be most surprised if any Club were to bid £5 million (or more) for Morrison. Certainly £8 million seems hopelessly optimistic in the present climate... but who knows?

Beanie
03-05-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by James
I too would be most surprised if any Club were to bid £5 million (or more) for Morrison. Certainly £8 million seems hopelessly optimistic in the present climate... but who knows?

There is some truth in this - but could is just be Jordans way of telling other clubs to get lost? Nobody seems to believe him, Francis and Clinton himself when they say Clinton isn't leaving. Perhaps he'll have more luck putting them off by making it clear he would be looking for that sort of money.

Neckinger Eagle
03-05-2002, 04:45 PM
Birmngham offered £5m before the collapse of ITV Digital, when the Football Lague clubs were still kidding themselves that Carlton and Granada would cough up with the money. Anyway, they have Stern John now.

I'm yet to be convinced that the southampton bid isn't anything other than tittle tattle, otherwise Mr Jordan would have said "I've had 2 bids, one from a Premiership club". Anyway, I would think that the Premiership clubs are secretly viewing the collapse of the Football League's funding as a godsend.

As for Djorkjaeff, yes it's true he has a limited shelf life, but he still kept Bolton in the Premiership. A good manager will find quality at the right price. There would have been no point in Bolton buying one for the future if the short term future was First Division poverty. No point in shelling out £5 million on transfers, £2 million on wages only to get relegated and still pay £2 million on wages the next year. best to pay £500k on wages and stay promoted in my opinon.

I've just heard on R5 Live that Lincoln have gone into receivership, and two reasons are the Bosman ruling and ITV Digital. 30 odd League Clubs are set to go to the wall according to the Football League, players being released in record numbers. £5m for an untried striker with an attitude problem? I don't think so.

Cleon
03-05-2002, 04:57 PM
£5m for an untried striker with an attitude problem?

Ah... now we get to the root of it. The age-old alledged 'attitude' problem. All based on the words of one Mr Alan Smith, and a petulant display when subbed off against Forest, when he was suffering the misfortune of playing under said bog-eyed fool.

It'll be that untried striker with an attitude problem that has scored 2 goals in 4 appearances for his (adopted) country, and has been Palace's leading goal scorer for the last three seasons running, including a better than 1 in 2 ratio of goals scored against Premiership opposition.

By your reckoning, valuing Clinton at £2-3m, you are saying he is of comparable value to Mr Ade Akinbiyi?

wedgetail
03-05-2002, 05:02 PM
The ITV-Digital problem does not affect the Premiership clubs and they are the ones to be wexpected to bid 5+ Million for Morrison. All club chairmen knew some months ago that the couldn't count on ITV money so Birmingham's offer was a genuine (if cheeky) bid and was almost certainly dependant on their promotion.

Neckinger Eagle
03-05-2002, 05:31 PM
You know I'd forgotten all about Alan Smith comments. I like to form my own opinions.

I was basing my comments on the fact that his recent performances showed a certain lack of interest, where he seemingly couldn't be bothered to get back on-side. Yet he managed to turn it on for the Republic. I watched that game on TV and thought that surely there must be two Clinton Morrisons?

I was also thinking about the derogatory comments he made about Michael Owen. I was also thinking about those silly things he said just before the West Brom game. I don't think Clinton quite matches Sir Alex Ferguson in the mind-game stakes does he?

Yes, untried. Of course he's untried. A few minutes in the Premiership and the odd appearance in the Repubic's friendly games (not France, not Argentina, but the Republic) doesn't say top quality to me. Please don't think that the League Cup is a good pointer towards quality, otherwise Dele Adebola and Geoff Horsfield would be in the Premiership. I worship every one of the many goals Clinton has scored for Palace, but let's not get his achievements out of perspective. It's a different kettle of fish facing Hyppia, Campbell, Desailly, O'Brien every week compared to facing the tired old donkeys we see playing for likes of Grimsby, Stockport and Rotherham.

Peter Simpson scored more goals in a season for Palace than any other player, but he didn't play for England because we were in Division 3 South. That was his level.

No, I'm not saying Clinton's of comparable value to Akinbiyi. Akinbiyi wasn't worth what we paid for him. We'd be lucky to get £500k for him now. Yet I would say Sturridge is a better player than Morrison, and look how little Wolves paid for him. Something about "a fool and his money?"

Of course the ITV Digital deal does effect the Premiership clubs. The Football League doesn't operate in isolation, and any Premiership Club would be daft not to try it on with us now. They can look at the good Football League players and offer a lot less because they know that the FL clubs cannot afford to turn down the offers. If they do, then there are other players available of the same quality for less, some of them for free.

As for Birmingham's bid, as I said in a previous posting, the Football League clubs expected ITV Digital to stump up the money which would have funded this bid.

firesign
03-05-2002, 05:43 PM
Morrison's only possible destination is the Premiership (apart from staying with us, obviously).

But how many clubs need/want him and how many are willing/able to pay £5m+ for him. I reckon only a few fulfill both those criteria - Newcastle, Spurs, Southampton, perhaps West Ham. That's why I think it more likely than not he will still be at Palace next season.

Cleon
03-05-2002, 06:57 PM
If only I was so fortunate to forget Alan Smith & his comments.

I would agree that Clinton has been demotivated in the last few games, but not especially more so than those around him. Freedman has reverted to his old sulky self, and much of the team's morale has crashed in on itself. Since he is not the odd one out, I would identify the problem as being the management (or lack thereof), rather than simply Mr Morrison.

As for the 'derogatory' comments about Michael Owen, the over-excited Clinton (having scored in the 2-1 victory in front of his first sell-out Selhurst crowd) was asked "what about Michael Owen's missed chances", and Clinton replied with a cheeky grin "maybe I could give him finishing lessons". Not sure that demonstrates an attitude problem - more a mischievious streak. Not sure many strikers play Ferguson/Wenger style mind games either. Would you say Fowler has an attitude problem because of the silly messing around he had with Le Saux?

As for your disparaging remarks about the Republic, we are talking about the same team that knocked Holland - a team including van Nistlerooy, Kleivert, Hasslebaink, van Brommel, de Boer etc. etc. I suspect the Republic will go further than England in this year's World Cup.

I can say that Clinton is one of the most tried and tested young players in the first division. Robbie Keane, Craig Bellamy, Keiron Dyer etc. were all "untried" players who have made a massive impact on the Premiership after being purchased up for in excess of £5m each.

As for Sturridge, he is a very good player. But he's also over 30 years old. That's why he worth a hell of a lot less than Clinton, for reasons I have already explained.