PDA

View Full Version : Derry to Ipswich

JDawg
20-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Popular lad.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/

Flappy Chicken
21-05-2010, 03:18 AM
I have to say after watching him against Sheff Wed, I know he did the job for us, but I thought he played like sunday morning footballer and was a bit of a thug. Ouch!

Thanks for all you have done Shaun but time to go...............

Psychokiller
21-05-2010, 05:02 AM
Why would he want to go and work for that incompetent bottler?

chatham_eagle
21-05-2010, 05:40 AM
I have to say after watching him against Sheff Wed, I know he did the job for us, but I thought he played like sunday morning footballer and was a bit of a thug. Ouch!

Bollocks, that's exactly what was needed for that game.

redandblue
21-05-2010, 05:50 AM
I hope not Derry has put his heart and soul (and legs, elbows, head) in for us and I think that he is a great player to have in any team, you need a bit of force in any midfield and Derry does that job perfectly

cartwheel
21-05-2010, 05:55 AM

Are you for real?

CHE
21-05-2010, 06:02 AM

Absolute total bollocks

croydons finest
21-05-2010, 06:15 AM
if he was to go, doubt it would be ipswich, be somewhere local if it could be helped, i bumpd into him before shef wednesday game, (i live near-ish to him) and he likes it where he lives, and i think we need derry in the team like arsenal need sol

cpfcben
21-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Give him a new deal if possible. A real leader.

spt1978
21-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Suppose Ipswich would probably offer him a high wage and fairly lengthy contract. Keane is certainly not a financial wizz.

pete eagle
21-05-2010, 07:43 AM
A leader he is indeed but as excellent as he was in the first half of the season, he was poor in the second half of the season with his legs really seeming to go and his passing well off the mark. I don't think it would massively hurt us in terms of how we play if we lost him as we have a readymade replacement captain in McCarthy or even Hill if he stays.

Owngoal
21-05-2010, 07:45 AM
If Shaun can get a 2 year contract he would be silly not to take it for the security of his family.

Scoot
21-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Give him a new deal if possible. A real leader.

Totally agree with this :p

Get Derry working with Ndiye in training and there is a perfect replacement.

Cleon
21-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Derry deserves another contract at Palace, let's just hope we can be in a position to offer him one...

917L
21-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Derry deserves another contract at Palace, let's just hope we can be in a position to offer him one...

^^^^This

And as for FCs comments about his performance at Wednesday :rolleyes:

OscillateWildly
21-05-2010, 07:52 AM
I hope not Derry has put his heart and soul (and legs, elbows, head) in for us and I think that he is a great player to have in any team, you need a bit of force in any midfield and Derry does that job perfectly

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CPFC Moustache
21-05-2010, 08:14 AM
We can't lose the leadership within the team. Clint Hill may be going (disappointed, but with blessings and thanks), if we lost Shaun as well then we would only have one leader left in Paddy. Argue that one???

I could understand Derry being compared (in part) to the aggressive playing style of "Managerial Failure" Roy Keane. Comparison or amiration is one thing, but surely any player at any level would rather have no manager than play for "Managerial Failure" Roy Keane. It's too far fetched.

swissroll
21-05-2010, 08:40 AM
We will need a few leaders next season. Derry is a must have if the wages are right

ExiledStirling
21-05-2010, 08:50 AM

He did more than just a job..his attitude (and performance) during that game are one of the main reasons we are still talking about Palace as a championship side and not league 1.

Personally thought he was hard (what was needed) but a thug? get real FlappyC

CPFC_DAVE77
21-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Overall Derry has been exceptional for us since his return. Should he want to wait and see what we can offer (if we get to that stage) he deserves to be offered the chance to stay.

Zohar Returns
21-05-2010, 09:04 AM

Cannot believe my eyes at this quote. The bloke was physically knackered after a long hard season in which he probably played in every game (with a long cup run!). Was a real leader and anyone who saw the (brief) interview at the final whistle on BBC wll realise what an important player he can still be for us.

silverymoon
21-05-2010, 09:20 AM
100 per cent player gives his all. The old boys Butterfield, Lawrence, Hill and Derry were absolutley fantastic. We can not afford to lose all of them. Derry must be offered a new contract he deserves it.

East-End Eagle
21-05-2010, 09:25 AM
A leader he is indeed but as excellent as he was in the first half of the season, he was poor in the second half of the season with his legs really seeming to go and his passing well off the mark. I don't think it would massively hurt us in terms of how we play if we lost him as we have a readymade replacement captain in McCarthy or even Hill if he stays.

He played every game! He gave his all.
Without him, I firmly believe we would not have stayed up.

SE19_denizen
21-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Shaun Derry is a legend. a leader. a strongman in midfield. please keep him. whoever dissed him on this forum obviously needs to up their meds dose.

sydnsteve
21-05-2010, 09:36 AM
He went off the boil for a bit, but came back really strongly, and in the SW game was fantastic, even setting up a great chance from a run and cross down the left wing. The second injury was simply a clash of heads, and in the first he caught the guy with his arm but there was no intent. Anyone who thought he had a bad game that day really should have gone to Spec savers.

Give him a 2 year deal, he has earned it

Stellavista
21-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Derry has become the glue that holds this team together. He may have a poor game once in a while, but he inspires those around him.
We haven't had a leader like that since St Geoff.

Thanet Eagle
21-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Feel the love for Derry here

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201634

rbarmy
To be fair, after playing in every gruelling game it would be amazing if his legs hadn't gone... would like to see him stay; cannot see who or what we would get for the kind of cost that his departure will save us

NateEagle
We will need a few leaders next season. Derry is a must have if the wages are right

Spot on...I think he'll be key next season, especially if we are again battling near the bottom. Dont leave Shaun!

gold76
21-05-2010, 09:38 AM
We'll be short of battlers if Hill & Derry both leave on frees

Bit much to expect N'Diaye to step up to the plate, he needs time.

Jay_Palace
21-05-2010, 09:42 AM

Haven't we learnt anything from last time when Dowie booted out Derry ridiculously prematurely?

As has been said he is a leader of men and is exactly the type of individual I want to see at this club.

Owngoal
21-05-2010, 03:36 PM
It was not a mistake last time Jay, he is a championship player and would not have played for us in the in the Prem. Sadly he is at that point where a 2 year contract is probably the best he can hope for which we may not be prepared to offer. Would he take a year with add on conditions for a second year or go for security with Ipswich?

GreatGonzo
21-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Think he will struggle to manage 46 games next season having really struggled to manage the 2 games a week periods this year. Means if we were to keep him on we need to remove the armband or chop and change captains throughout the year. Neither would be an ideal option.

May be best for him to move on, but might be an area the new manager will need to look at, do we have a replacement in the middle in Ertl? We know Paddy could take the armband. Or do we need to look at other enforcers in the centre of the park?

For the budgets we will be working with how many central midfielders can we afford to have on the books? Certainly fewer than we had this season.

LiamCPFC
21-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Think out of the out of contract players, I'd want to keep Derry the most, even if he only plays 50-75% of the games next season, I guess he would need to take a pay cut though.

Shipp Ahoy!
21-05-2010, 03:51 PM
I think there is a lot of people getting steamy eyed after an epic end to the season.

Derry for the main part this season has not been great, he gives it everything but far too many times that hasn't really been enough. See error vs Rangers (I think?) and then again in the next match.

For a midfielder he can't pass to save his life.

A battler and a terrific leader yes, but I can't help but feel rather over rated by an awful lot of people on here who feel Derry can do no wrong having stayed up.

catman1971
21-05-2010, 03:57 PM

you a fan of palace?.he battled for the club that day.all the challanges were fair.no malice at all.hard but fair!

GreatGonzo
21-05-2010, 04:06 PM
you a fan of palace?.he battled for the club that day.all the challanges were fair.no malice at all.hard but fair!

He had his moments even in that game which could have cost us. He had a good game overall, he put everything he had into it, and if you take things on that game alone there would be little question. The games against the likes of Cardiff and Preston though were very poor.

He may have a place within a squad next year but for me, not playing every game and therefore not as Captain.

Shipp Ahoy!
22-05-2010, 01:53 AM

Yes Palace fan he is.

Derry challenge hard but fair, maybe.

Hard, yes he be.

Yoda style... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

pete eagle
22-05-2010, 05:33 PM
He played every game! He gave his all.
Without him, I firmly believe we would not have stayed up.

He made quite a lot of mistakes last season, he's been an excellent player for us and I respect that but this is not about hindsight. He has struggled recently and I firmly believe that Ertl offers a superior option as a defensive midfielder.

Flappy Chicken
24-05-2010, 02:49 AM
I think there is a lot of people getting steamy eyed after an epic end to the season.

Derry for the main part this season has not been great, he gives it everything but far too many times that hasn't really been enough. See error vs Rangers (I think?) and then again in the next match.

For a midfielder he can't pass to save his life.

A battler and a terrific leader yes, but I can't help but feel rather over rated by an awful lot of people on here who feel Derry can do no wrong having stayed up.

Thanks Shipp, I knew I was in for a hardtime. To be honest I rather see us playing decent football passing the ball about, the beautiful game, which I have seen Palace play. It always gets cheers from the home support and is good to watch.

OK so he has done a good job for us and battled hard, which we are thankful for. To be honest and fair, I really do not want to see that side of the game, well not as bad as that.

FC