PDA

View Full Version : James Harper

Pages : [1] 2

TheMexicanHorse
21-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Before anyone pipes up about we shouldn't be thinking of any new players yet, the club being saved is the number one issue and I agree 101%. However hopefully when the takeover happens we need to think about improving the playing squad/replacing any players who do depart.

We all know CPFC2010 are not going to go around throwing millions on players. We are going to need to go for free deals/loans/and players from the lower leagues.

Which brings me to James Harper, now on a free after being released from Sheff Utd. Very capable championship player, experinced in the championship and on a free deal could be a very good move.

I'm thinking he maybe our Ambrose of 10/11 season, bombed out a club, once highly thought of, has not quite been of the required standard for the last two seasons, but has the hunger to suceed once more at a championship football club.

Kirby
21-05-2010, 09:14 AM
You could say the same about Chris Riggott aswell (especially if Southgate was to come in).

All pointless speculation at the moment though.

CPFC_DAVE77
21-05-2010, 09:15 AM
I wonder if by the time we are in a position to buy/offer contracts he will still be available. Other than that I think he would be a very useful addition.

Jay_Palace
21-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Superb player who will get better offers from elsewhere.

Ridcully
21-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Superb player who will get better offers from elsewhere.

Who has already got offers from elsewhere...

I expect to see him in the Prem next year, he has had quite a few offers.

Halfwayline
21-05-2010, 09:28 AM
We need to cut the wage bill by 3m. No if's or buts. It has to be done. That is 58k a week.

If you assume our 7 highest earners are on 11k, 10k, 9k, 8k, 7k, 7k, 6k. Cutting them would balance the books.

You can bring more players in using transfer frees received as long as their entire 3 year contract is covered.

gold76
21-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I do like Harper as a player & on a free it is a no brainer.

However I'd imagine he was on a hefty whack.

Ridcully
21-05-2010, 10:02 AM
He has already had offers from Prem clubs so I would imagine that he is on a good amount of cash too.

I will try to find out but I am pretty certain unless things in the last couple of months have gone really badly he will be in the Prem next year.

Aaroncpfc
21-05-2010, 10:05 AM
He's can run but that's about it. He's not as creative as he used to be. He's, in my opinion not the type of player we should be looking for.

EagleSE24
21-05-2010, 10:13 AM
James Harper is the kind of player Tom Soares could have been. Well, and hopefully still will.

bearman
21-05-2010, 10:31 AM
He was on 20k a week at reading apparently...

Glazier69
21-05-2010, 01:05 PM
One of my favourite players at this level.......... too dear for us though!

Ridcully
21-05-2010, 01:38 PM
He's a great player, too good for us at the moment unfortunately.

He came close to coming here under Dowie just before he really broke through at Reading. Pardew tried to lure him to West Ham when he left but although he was offered a deal he turned them down to stay at Reading.

You don't always leave a club because you are not good enough though, so leaving Reading was out of his control. He is a free agent and has had offers from established Prem teams, he is not coming here :D

Woosie
21-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Good player, I don't think anyone doubts that. However very unlikely that he would come to Palace, or that we could afford his wages really.

hamge
28-06-2010, 09:59 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1290395/Former-England-keeper-Richard-Wright-set-make-free-transfer-Crystal-Palace.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

JamTheEagle
28-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Good news if true, bring on the freebies :lux:

pauldrulez
28-06-2010, 10:03 PM
They've read the BBS FFS. Nothing else.

And that is not good news at all.

Speroni for a Million? I'd rather bite my knob off than accept a million for a top 10 goalkeeper in the country.

hamge
28-06-2010, 10:05 PM

Speroni for a Million? I'd rather bite my knob off than accept a million for a top 10 goalkeeper in the country.

Thought that was the case.

milky87
28-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Speroni for a Million? I'd rather bite my knob off than accept a million for a top 1 goalkeeper in the country

EFA

Ruskin Old Boy
29-06-2010, 07:28 AM
The Harper story is a runner - not the Speroni or Morrison stories.

Jono14
29-06-2010, 07:33 AM

That's exactly what I thought. Really lazy journalism that.

KungFuCharlie
29-06-2010, 08:12 AM

I think transfer fees generally are likely to be pretty depressed this summer.

Nelson Muntz
29-06-2010, 08:26 AM
A BBS poster knows a member of the Harper family. I wonder if he's heard anything? ;)

EagleSE24
29-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Was very impressed by Harper in Reading's promotion season and first season in the Prem. He scored a very good goal against us in a one all draw at Selhurst.

Haven't seen much of him recently.

macstar
29-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Was very impressed by Harper in Reading's promotion season and first season in the Prem. He scored a very good goal against us in a one all draw at Selhurst.

Haven't seen much of him recently.

yep. goalscoring midfielder are what we like!

cpfcfan1
29-06-2010, 08:47 AM
FORMER Reading and Sheffield United midfielder James Harper is a target for Crystal Palace boss George Burley.

The Eagles chief is expected to announce the capture of former Ipswich defender David Wright today - a story we broke exclusively on our website on Friday.

And the South London Press has been told that Harper - who will be a free agent from Thursday - has also been targeted by Burley.

It is understood that the Scot has held talks about a deal for the 29-year-old former Arsenal trainee - who played over 300 games for Reading and was a key man in their promotion to the Premier League in 2006.

Don't miss today's South London Press for the full story. Do you think Harper would be a good signing? Give us your comments below.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=22867&headline=Palace%20hold%20talks%20with%20James%20Ha rper

GodstoneEagle
29-06-2010, 08:50 AM
I honestly thought he'd be out of our league. Would be a ripsnorter of a signing, especially on a free

EagleSE24
29-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Only 29 too. I assumed he was about 33.

Nice use of ripsnorter there. Must remember to use that in everyday conversation more often.

Gooders
29-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Bobsta is a big fan of Harper - he'll be well happy if this comes off.

bigend1
29-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Must remember to use that in everyday conversation more often.

i thought that, something about it..:p

prizesucker
29-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Such a shame to think Dowie could have signed both him and Sidwell in 2004, both in the "what if" club. Nevermind.

Would be happy with this signing regardless. Harper, Danns, Ambrose, N'Diaye, the midfield starting to look a little stronger on paper if this deal comes off.

Am i right in saying he has palace connections? Vague recollection of a story that he used to be a ball boy at palace or something similar?

Kirby
29-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Reading and Sheff Utd fans weren't particularly raving about him last season. Apparently he's rather crab-like, ala Ray Wilkins. Always goes sideways.

He obviously has talent though, as he showed for a couple of seasons at the Madjeski. I'm confident he's the sort of player Burley could get the best out of.

On a free aswell, so why not?

kolinkins
29-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Think he's be ideal for us - him and Danns in the centre, Ambrose one side and a new winger the other. Tasty.

Woosie
29-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Would be absolutely delighted if this did happen, so long as the wages were sensible. Fingers crossed eh?!

cpfcben
29-06-2010, 09:19 AM
A cracker. Yes please.

Kirby
29-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Think he's be ideal for us - him and Danns in the centre, Ambrose one side and a new winger the other. Tasty.

Oooh, that is very tasty.

eagle101
29-06-2010, 09:30 AM

George Boyd? ;)

jobiinthelastmi
29-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Reading and Sheff Utd fans weren't particularly raving about him last season. Apparently he's rather crab-like, ala Ray Wilkins. Always goes sideways.

He obviously has talent though, as he showed for a couple of seasons at the Madjeski. I'm confident he's the sort of player Burley could get the best out of.

On a free aswell, so why not?

Excellent replacement for Derry then :lux:

Woodford Eagle
29-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Would be very pleased with this signing. Fingers crossed.

TheMexicanHorse
29-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Good to see Burley has been taking my advice.

:p

Jimmy Eagle
29-06-2010, 09:52 AM

Oh south london
29-06-2010, 09:58 AM
If we lose Derry and get Harper in replacement I will be over the moon.

pauldrulez
29-06-2010, 10:31 AM
FORMER Reading and Sheffield United midfielder James Harper is a target for Crystal Palace boss George Burley.

The Eagles chief is expected to announce the capture of former Ipswich defender David Wright today - a story we broke exclusively on our website on Friday.

And the South London Press has been told that Harper - who will be a free agent from Thursday - has also been targeted by Burley.

It is understood that the Scot has held talks about a deal for the 29-year-old former Arsenal trainee - who played over 300 games for Reading and was a key man in their promotion to the Premier League in 2006.

Don't miss today's South London Press for the full story. Do you think Harper would be a good signing? Give us your comments below.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=22867&headline=Palace%20hold%20talks%20with%20James%20Ha rper
I prefer this story, with no mention of Jules leaving for cheap

maxpower
29-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Id be extremely impressed with this signing, just hope he doesnt ask for too much. Also burley is looking to sign midfielders as we are very short at the moment

james powell
29-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Y1D2UGjbgzE&

kolinkins
29-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Wonder what sort of wages he will look at. Seeing as there is no fee, the sort of wage we wouldn't think we should pay we might well pay, and it ay work as better value than spending 500k fee and 5k per week on wages.

Chris K
29-06-2010, 11:47 AM
A 2 year contract at 10k per week works out the same as spending 1 million on a transfer fee for a player without even considering the wages. I'm not suggesting we can afford this but shows just how valuable getting players on frees can be. I'd be chuffed with this.

spt1978
29-06-2010, 11:54 AM
If wages are sensible , yes please. If not I would prefer to sign someone from the lower leagues for a transfer fee who is on lower wages and has some sell on value.

Absolution
29-06-2010, 12:05 PM
If wages are sensible , yes please. If not I would prefer to sign someone from the lower leagues for a transfer fee who is on lower wages and has some sell on value.There is probably room for a younger signing as well. We are very short in midfield.

Neil Danns is probably the only senior central player now.

rainbow_child
29-06-2010, 12:11 PM
If we sign Harper I will attend every game naked next season! :D

james powell
29-06-2010, 12:13 PM
If we sign Harper I will attend next season naked every game! :D
I'm quoting this just for reference.

Bazz Lightyear
29-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Good solid professional who should fit in well

George Burley is attracting some decent standard Championship players

Chris K
29-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Good solid professional who should fit in well

George Burley is attracting speculation regarding some decent standard Championship players

EFA

Clapham Grand
29-06-2010, 12:40 PM
not sure he is the player he was, still would be a positive signing

Ridcully
29-06-2010, 12:58 PM
If we get him it will be a fantastic signing, if he's coming it surely must be to be captain.

Nelson Muntz
29-06-2010, 01:08 PM
If we sign Harper I will attend next season naked every game! :D
HHHmmmm. I'll bring a Primarni bag to keep your clothes in.......

rhynoeagle
29-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Will he be the Darren Ambrose of this season ? - In respect to a great player on a free to be Legend.

Ambrose and Harper in the same Midfeild. Love the sound of it.

Please impress him GB :D

The Bishop
29-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Mixed reviews on Harper from the Reading fans:

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=98737&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Personally, I think he'd do a decent job for us at this level. Plenty of experience and would help protect the back four; leaving the likes of Ambrose, Danns, Boyd ;) to do the attacking. Sign him on a two year contract :p

rhynoeagle
29-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Mixed reviews on Harper from the Reading fans:

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=98737&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Personally, I think he'd do a decent job for us at this level. Plenty of experience and would help protect the back four; leaving the likes of Ambrose, Danns, Boyd ;) to do the attacking. Sign him on a two year contract :p

Imagen that Danns, Ambrose, Harper and Boyd as a midfield. - Buzzing just thinking about that. :D

GodstoneEagle
29-06-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't think he's really a holding player, more a box to boxer like Danns who arrives late in the box. I still think we'd need to get a genuinely deensive midfielder.

GreatGonzo
29-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Whilst i am not a big fan of Ambrose wide right.....

--------------------Speroni------------------
Clyne------McCarthy-----AnOther------Wright
Ambrose-----Danns-------Harper--------Boyd
---------2 of Scannell/Morrison/Lee-----------

Very strong Championship line-up, just need to buy Boyd a Central Defender and sign Clinton. If we could do it without spending more than 1m having been in admin that would be a spectacular team.

GreatGonzo
29-06-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't think he's really a holding player, more a box to boxer like Danns who arrives late in the box. I still think we'd need to get a genuinely deensive midfielder.

2 box to box players would be fine, just need to try and avoid them both arriving in the box late. If tehy could get it to work as a partnership it could look very good the way GB plays.

The Bishop
29-06-2010, 02:35 PM
One of their fans described him as a holding playmaker who played best in the centre of a three man midfield. Might work well with Danns and Ambrose either side of him. Apparently he thrives best in a positive, attacking team and is very much a confidence player.

jams1234
29-06-2010, 03:15 PM
That team GG posted is a very good team indeed, and would be full of ayers wanting to play for us. We would be a force.

Please :angel:

kuqicrisp
29-06-2010, 03:44 PM

N'diaye as defensive mid?

KungFuCharlie
29-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Whilst i am not a big fan of Ambrose wide right.....

--------------------Speroni------------------
Clyne------McCarthy-----AnOther------Wright
Ambrose-----Danns-------Harper--------Boyd
---------2 of Scannell/Morrison/Lee-----------

Very strong Championship line-up, just need to buy Boyd a Central Defender and sign Clinton. If we could do it without spending more than 1m having been in admin that would be a spectacular team.

I think we need a new forward - and no doubt we'll need to strengthen the squad.

Biggineagle
29-06-2010, 03:47 PM
That team GG posted is a very good team indeed, and would be full of gayers wanting to play for us. We would be a force.

Please :angel:

EFA ;)

salad fan club
29-06-2010, 07:29 PM
a quality player who seems to have lost his way

a move could be just the thing he needs i would go for him

adrenalin john
29-06-2010, 07:39 PM

With Rafa gone Mascherano might well fancy a move from Liverpool

The Bishop
29-06-2010, 07:54 PM

According to Southampton fan at work, Burley doesn't usually employ a defensive midfielder.

FromSelhurst
29-06-2010, 08:30 PM

he must have done his fair share of holding when he played with sidwell.

JohnInTheUSA
29-06-2010, 09:46 PM
It's more important that he can tackle and then spread the play. It looks like he's got a good left which should bring balance if we sign him. I'm not sure you always need a holding player as long as we defend from the front and the defence plays a high line.

SpikeyMatt
29-06-2010, 09:51 PM
He'd be a more than useful acquisition.

A midfield containing Ambrose, Danns and Harper would be very useful indeed.

adrenalin john
29-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm not sure you always need a holding player as long as we defend from the front and the defence plays a high line.

Depends how we play, in a traditional 442 with the left and right midfielders providing genuine width it is not neccessary as the full backs always stay home.

I hope however we play 433/451 with one fullback at least always bombing on - in which case a holding midfielder is essential

Oisin
30-06-2010, 05:05 AM
A player who has torn us a new arsehole when we've played agianst him

RDSdaEAGLE
30-06-2010, 05:32 AM
He's a great passer of the ball, would be a fantastic signing :p

leeofmedway
30-06-2010, 05:44 AM
Let's see if we can get Butler and Blake as well.

Mad Raschic Ken
30-06-2010, 07:20 AM
I think we need a new forward - and no doubt we'll need to strengthen the squad.

Definitely. We need a goalscorer. We should look at Leagues 1 and 2 for an up and coming youngster who bagged a good few last season and give him a chance.

Mad Raschic Ken
30-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Let's see if we can get Butler and Blake as well.

Is this an 'On the Buses' reference? Don't remember a Harper in that programme.

GodstoneEagle
30-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Definitely. We need a goalscorer. We should look at Leagues 1 and 2 for an up and coming youngster who bagged a good few last season and give him a chance.
Thing is that they tend to cost a bit. Better off looking for the 'right player, wrong place' sort of signing like we got with Ambrose. Players that have previously scored goals but moved clubs and failed.

Mad Raschic Ken
30-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Thing is that they tend to cost a bit. Better off looking for the 'right player, wrong place' sort of signing like we got with Ambrose. Players that have previously scored goals but moved clubs and failed.

That could work too, although wages would be likely to be higher for that sort of player. I'd have thought though that picking up a young player from a lower division who is on the up might be the sort of investment that could be considered sensible longer term. You'd hope we'd end up having a couple of good seasons or so out of them and then making a profit (unless we get promoted in that time of course!). I'd like to see some youngsters hungry for success in the team rather than older players trying to rediscover form.

Prince Phillip
30-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Is this an 'On the Buses' reference? Don't remember a Harper in that programme.

Au contraire, Jack Harper was indeed the character with the extraordinary set of Hampsteads and even more extraordinary pulling record in the show.......

Mad Raschic Ken
30-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Au contraire, Jack Harper was indeed the character with the extraordinary set of Hampsteads and even more extraordinary pulling record in the show.......

Of course! Always thought of him as Jack rather than by his surname like the others.

Gazpacho
30-06-2010, 07:57 AM
My view is that we should look and talk to as many players as possible to get a good idea of what wages they want so I expect we will be linked with a large number. There are plenty of players available and we should be able to find 15 within budget. ( Our squad number is only about 10 at the moment isn't it? ). The club will need a complete overhall from top to bottom to make it profitable imo so I expect the playing squad to almost completely change. Being linked to a player like James Harper is good - I think he could do very well for us - but at the right wage, otherwise we should move on.

adrenalin john
30-06-2010, 09:36 AM
At 29 a player should really be at their peak.

The Harper of Reading in their promotion season and first season in the prem would be by far and away the best player at Sheff Utd, yet they are letting him go on a free.

If he just didn't fit up there/fell out with Blackwell (who hasn't) then he could be a phenomenal signing if he recaptures or even kicks on from his previous form.

However if he has lost fitness or, having made his money, lost motivation then perhaps it won't be a great signing - what it is is a good test of Burley's judgement and management skills.

In terms of transfer policy, we really shouldn't pay transfer fees for players over 27 because they have no re-sale value. Experience (like Harper's and Wrights) is invaluable but increasingly these players will be available on free transfers/bosmans

Beanie
30-06-2010, 10:23 AM
My view is that we should look and talk to as many players as possible to get a good idea of what wages they want so I expect we will be linked with a large number. There are plenty of players available and we should be able to find 15 within budget. ( Our squad number is only about 10 at the moment isn't it? ). The club will need a complete overhall from top to bottom to make it profitable imo so I expect the playing squad to almost completely change. Being linked to a player like James Harper is good - I think he could do very well for us - but at the right wage, otherwise we should move on.
10 in the squad - where does that come from? We had, 26 at the end of last season (that's on the official site) and 7 could leave, although only 5 have. That leaves 19 if they all go. Bit young, certainly but signings like David Wright and perhaps Harper will bring the experience level up nicely. I doubt we'll sign more than leave or we sell, so at the moment we're looking perhaps 4 or 5 more.

GreatGonzo
30-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Experienced:
Darren Ambrose (M)
Nathaniel Clyne (D)
Neil Danns (M)
Claude Davis (D)
Lee Hills (D)
Alan Lee (F)
Patrick McCarthy (D)
Sean Scannell (F)
Julian Speroni (G)

Youth:
Kieron Cadogan (M)
Alessane N'Diaye (M)
Wilfred Zaha (F)

Thats 9 experienced 1st teamers and calling Clyne, Hills and Scannell that is pushing it, backed up by 5 who have made an appearance or 2 for the 1st team. You could move N'Diaye into the expereinced if you set low threshold.

Either way it is a total of 12 players contracted to next season who have made a 1st team appearance, Wright makes that 13.

FORZA SELHURST
30-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Is there any talk of Sir Steve trying to take him to Bristol City?

Eddie'S Dad
30-06-2010, 11:19 AM

The Harper of Reading in their promotion season and first season in the prem would be by far and away the best player at Sheff Utd, yet they are letting him go on a free.

If he just didn't fit up there/fell out with Blackwell (who hasn't) then he could be a phenomenal signing if he recaptures or even kicks on from his previous form.

However if he has lost fitness or, having made his money, lost motivation then perhaps it won't be a great signing - what it is is a good test of Burley's judgement and management skills.

In terms of transfer policy, we really shouldn't pay transfer fees for players over 27 because they have no re-sale value. Experience (like Harper's and Wrights) is invaluable but increasingly these players will be available on free transfers/bosmans

V good post

Absolution
30-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Is there any talk of Sir Steve trying to take him to Bristol City?I was speaking to my mate who is a Bristol fan, as I thought it would be likely that Coppell would go for him. I think it depends on what happens with Hartley, as he is their high earning centre midfielder. If he left, Coppell would be in the market for another bigger name in the Championship.

GreatGonzo
30-06-2010, 11:28 AM

The Ron Noades policy you mean? As it is reported taht he is consulting with 2010 at times hopefully this is an issue they will be looking at.

Gazpacho
30-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Experienced:
Darren Ambrose (M)
Nathaniel Clyne (D)
Neil Danns (M)
Claude Davis (D)
Lee Hills (D)
Alan Lee (F)
Patrick McCarthy (D)
Sean Scannell (F)
Julian Speroni (G)

Youth:
Kieron Cadogan (M)
Alessane N'Diaye (M)
Wilfred Zaha (F)

Thats 9 experienced 1st teamers and calling Clyne, Hills and Scannell that is pushing it, backed up by 5 who have made an appearance or 2 for the 1st team. You could move N'Diaye into the expereinced if you set low threshold.

Either way it is a total of 12 players contracted to next season who have made a 1st team appearance, Wright makes that 13.

Of the above, Lee Hills is a long term injury and Cadogan's contract is up so I didn't count him in the 10. Happy to accept your figure of 12 - or 13 now David Wright has joined! But not 16 - 17 as others have said. We'll need 22 or 23 at least.

elgin eagle
30-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Well its a nice blank canvas for GB to work with. He doesn't have to wait for players to leave before bringing new faces in, and with his experience, hopefully will be able to create a squad of players that will be able to play the style of football he prefers. At present we are light in all areas, especially midfield. I would imagine a big draw for Harper would be to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. Hopefully this seasons Ambrose, although 4 or 5 more would be nice. :)

PauLo
30-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Lee Hills is out of contract too.

Beanie
30-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Lee Hills is out of contract too.
Another year seems the general opinion

Gazza2
30-06-2010, 12:19 PM
At least, just before Hills got injured he had shown strong signs that he had come to terms with physical side of 1st team football to add to his undoubted football assets.

Ridcully
30-06-2010, 12:21 PM

He never signed for Sheff Utd. He ran his contract out at Reading who have asked him to stay.

He didn't get on with Rodgers and is evaluating all his options.

In January he had many offers including one with a good Prem side. I suspect that will be off now as the Manager is linked elsewhere.

He is flattered by Burleys approach and is talking, hopefully I'll know more soon.

He would be an outstanding signing and I'd expect him to be our captain.

Owngoal
30-06-2010, 12:45 PM
He never signed for Sheff Utd. He ran his contract out at Reading who have asked him to stay.

He didn't get on with Rodgers and is evaluating all his options.

In January he had many offers including one with a good Prem side. I suspect that will be off now as the Manager is linked elsewhere.

He is flattered by Burleys approach and is talking, hopefully I'll know more soon.

He would be an outstanding signing and I'd expect him to be our captain.

Not sure where you get the 'captain' from but he will be a signing that will improve on what we have had. Paddy Mc was born with the captains armband.....

917L
30-06-2010, 12:47 PM
The Ron Noades policy you mean? As it is reported taht he is consulting with 2010 at times hopefully this is an issue they will be looking at.

I dont think they need Noades to tell them that, do you?

Fortnately every rumour regarding Noades recently has proved just that, a rumour. Despite most of them being fuelled by his own interviews

Oh south london
30-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Any movement on this? Would love him to sign.

Ketteridge
02-07-2010, 05:17 AM
Any movement on this? Would love him to sign.
Today's Sun is claiming we have signed him

wandering star
02-07-2010, 06:02 AM

Sounds promising:lux:

Seaside Eagle
02-07-2010, 06:04 AM

Fookin' MINT! :p

Fantastic signing number 3, thanks George :p :D

BulletEagle
02-07-2010, 06:42 AM
I think we need a live coms and updates thread for all these signings. :P

Chris K
02-07-2010, 06:50 AM
So that's Wright and potentially Barrett and Harper too. If they're replacements for butts, derry and lawrence then that's a decent upgrade in each case

Ridcully
02-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Paper talk at the moment but still a good chance :D

cranesparkeagle
02-07-2010, 07:16 AM
If Harper holds, Danns drives forward. Darren floats about, we have the makings of a midfield.Reading fans clearly haven't got over their fall from grace yet. Comments like 'he just passes to the full backs.' Woahh hang on. We aren't looking for Hoddle here. If you want to mention Ray Wilkins, not every ones cup of tea I know but, check out how many caps he won. I think Harper on a free even if he isn't the same player as 3 years ago would be a good bit of work, All defensive midfielders can look a bit crab-like at times. Sometimes the most constructive pass IS sideways. Usually the team gets to keep the ball. Now that would be something.

Owngoal
02-07-2010, 07:25 AM
If Harper holds, Danns drives forward. Darren floats about, we have the makings of a midfield.Reading fans clearly haven't got over their fall from grace yet. Comments like 'he just passes to the full backs.' Woahh hang on. We aren't looking for Hoddle here. If you want to mention Ray Wilkins, not every ones cup of tea I know but, check out how many caps he won. I think Harper on a free even if he isn't the same player as 3 years ago would be a good bit of work, All defensive midfielders can look a bit crab-like at times. Sometimes the most constructive pass IS sideways. Usually the team gets to keep the ball. Now that would be something.
Having someone pass to a player in red n blue would be a big improvement on some of the players we have lost

Bellyman
02-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Having someone pass to a player in red n blue would be a big improvement on some of the players we have lost

^^^^^^^:lux: :lux: :lux: ^^^^^^^^

ChristalPalace
02-07-2010, 07:42 AM
I was speaking to my mate who is a Bristol fan, as I thought it would be likely that Coppell would go for him. I think it depends on what happens with Hartley, as he is their high earning centre midfielder. If he left, Coppell would be in the market for another bigger name in the Championship.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_city/8757790.stm

There has been talk that he's been transfer listed and could return to Hearts (where he was before he joined Celtic), but Brizzle City have denied this.

Kingswood_Eagle
02-07-2010, 07:49 AM

Just had a look on the Sun-online, cant find owt!:confused:

SJ'sLoveMonkey
02-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Just had a look on the Sun-online, cant find owt!:confused:

Its definitely in the actual paper: 'CRYSTAL PALACE have swooped to sign midfielder James Harper 29, after he was released by Sheffield United'.

I know its the Sun and nothing has been confirmed by the club, but there it is.

Bobsta
02-07-2010, 08:21 AM
That's what it says all right! Seems like they're presuming but there's no smoke without fire and all that!

GodstoneEagle
02-07-2010, 08:22 AM
If we sign him and some of the others rumoured then my 7 at 70/1 to win the league is looking sweeeeet

Ridcully
02-07-2010, 08:46 AM
We have a good chance but it's not yet a done deal.

You can tell the accuracy of the journalism by the fact that he wasn't ever actually owned by sheff utd. He was a reading player on loan who ran his contract out.

eagleforlife
02-07-2010, 08:48 AM
We have a good chance but it's not yet a done deal.

You can tell the accuracy of the journalism by the fact that he wasn't ever actually owned by sheff utd. He was a reading player on loan who ran his contract out.

He signed a permanent six-month contract with Sheff. U in January.

bigend1
02-07-2010, 08:49 AM
we're swooping again.. how long until the eagles soar?! weyhey! :lux:

EagleSE24
02-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Its definitely in the actual paper: 'CRYSTAL PALACE have swooped to sign midfielder James Harper 29, after he was released by Sheffield United'.

I know its the Sun and nothing has been confirmed by the club, but there it is.

Eagles swoop :lux: Been too long since we heard that

Ridcully
02-07-2010, 08:51 AM
No he didn't, he signed an extension to his loan. Reading then sacked Rodgers, Nicky Hammond called him up to see if he would come back but they didn't have a return clause.

rhynoeagle
02-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Will be very very very good news if he signs. But this summer except the loss of Butts has been a very good one. Whats the chances of someone like Bristol nick him under our nose ?

FORZA SELHURST
02-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Fingers crossed on this one - I'd be well happy.

eagleforlife
02-07-2010, 09:37 AM
No he didn't, he signed an extension to his loan. Reading then sacked Rodgers, Nicky Hammond called him up to see if he would come back but they didn't have a return clause.

Yes he did.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5891070,00.html

Ridcully
02-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Yes he did.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5891070,00.html

Don't believe everything that you read on the internet or from the press...very lazy journalism

Webb
02-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Quite excited about the prospect of Danns, Harper and Ambrose in our midfield.

FORZA SELHURST
02-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Don't believe everything that you read on the internet or from the press...

TBF Wouldn't he had to have moved permanently to be able to play against Reading as mentioned in that article?

But is this all really important?

Ridcully
02-07-2010, 09:54 AM
TBF Wouldn't he had to have moved permanently to be able to play against Reading as mentioned in that article?

But is this all really important?

Loan was extended with an option to sign if it suited both parties, it didn't

eagleforlife
02-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Loan was extended with an option to buy if it suited both parties, it didn't

Official Sheff. U site:

http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10418~1947881,00.html

Ridcully
02-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Official Sheff. U site:

http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10418~1947881,00.html

Believe what you like, no problem from my side

eagleforlife
02-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Believe what you like, no problem from my side

Official Reading site:

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1947832,00.html

And vice versa.

Popeye'89
02-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Looking at his goals on youtube as well as his appearance, I would say he is a reincarnated mixture of Neil Danns and Darren Ambrose.

EagleinOz
02-07-2010, 10:01 AM
If only someone would clarify the position of his loan to SU

Ridcully
02-07-2010, 10:04 AM
If only someone would clarify the position of his loan to SU

:D

Bobsta
02-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Who cares we want him to sign for us!!!

Jimmy Eagle
02-07-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm confused. So has he re-signed for Sheff utd?

GreatGonzo
02-07-2010, 10:25 AM
No, he has offers from about 10 championship sides and needs to decide where he wants to go. I think Reading are one of the teams on offer but Sheff Utd have let him go.

Jimmy Eagle
02-07-2010, 10:30 AM
ahh, i didnt read the link properly. I hadn't noticed it was from January. There is still hope then.

exiledeagle
02-07-2010, 03:21 PM
not sure why im thinking this but has he been injury proan for a while - or am i thinking of someone else

Stellavista
02-07-2010, 05:44 PM
No, he has offers from about 10 championship sides and needs to decide where he wants to go. I think Reading are one of the teams on offer but Sheff Utd have let him go.

I should imagine that makes Harper a bit of a long shot.

Yorkie Belle
02-07-2010, 05:51 PM
If this is true..its great news :)

PauLo
02-07-2010, 05:58 PM
File this under 'I'll believe it when it happens'.

danpalace07
02-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Balls.

maxpower
03-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Well someone on homesdale says they popped into training and saw harper training along with the 2 new defenders i.e. barrett and wright

SJ'sLoveMonkey
03-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Well someone on homesdale says they popped into training and saw harper training along with the 2 new defenders i.e. barrett and wright

He seems pretty certain it was him

maxpower
03-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Yep so monday we may get an announcement on 2 possible signings exciting times

Woosie
03-07-2010, 07:07 PM

Hopefully they're telling the truth, but a lot of people post complete bullshit on HOL and here sometimes. I'll believe it when it's been confirmed, but at the moment it's just speculation imo about Harper, I doubt anything has been done.

Nelson Muntz
03-07-2010, 07:21 PM

maxpower
03-07-2010, 07:23 PM
So who told you on bbs if they didnt post on here

Bobby Dandruff
03-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Been on the Holmesdale and the guy seems 100% it was James Harper training at Beckenham.

pauldrulez
03-07-2010, 07:28 PM
This can be confirmed by a BBS poster (Not me!). Probably fins out Monday
CG?

cpfcfan1
03-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Delighted if true

Great signing

Ridcully
03-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Who said they don't post on here?

If the training session was Friday it wasn't James, he was elsewhere.

Ridcully
03-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Yep so monday we may get an announcement on 2 possible signings exciting times

Lets hope so and as others have said before a midfield of Harper, Danns and Ambrose is a most excellent proposition. Add Dorman and we could well have one of the best midfields in the division.

the kooch
03-07-2010, 08:05 PM
This can be confirmed by a BBS poster (Not me!). Probably fins out Monday

Sounds fishy to me.

Stavros 69
03-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Sounds fishy to me.
Sounds carp to me

Syph1979
03-07-2010, 08:30 PM
The poster has been a HOL user since 2002 and is a 'coach' by occupation. Claims he saw Harper training with the team in Friday.

graham
03-07-2010, 08:34 PM
we have to wait and c on monday there will be new player coming in

Barney Gumble
03-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Sounds carp to me

Enough with the fish jokes, for cods sake, I've haddock enough

cpfcfan1
03-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Come on now, this is not the plaice

AJ's right boot
03-07-2010, 08:41 PM
The rumour could be a red herring!

jams1234
03-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Even if it was Harper on the training ground, which it may not be, it does not necessarily mean he is signed. We know that we are in talks with him, and I would assume that for any player we are in talks with, they would be shown around the training ground. Harper is probably in talks with several other clubs, and also being shown around several other training grounds around the country. Let's just hope he signs with us.

snibz99
03-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Even if it was Harper on the training ground, which it may not be, it does not necessarily mean he is signed. We know that we are in talks with him, and I would assume that for any player we are in talks with, they would be shown around the training ground. Harper is probably in talks with several other clubs, and also being shown around several other training grounds around the country. Let's just hope he signs with us.
Agreed, I seem to remember that we had Patrick Kisnorbo training with us a year ago & he ended up at Leeds... but god I hope its true anyway

snibz99
03-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Agreed, I seem to remember we had Patrick Kisnorbo training with us a year ago & he ended up at Leeds.... but god I hope its true anyway

forsells no1 fan
03-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Class player......sign him up now!!!

917L
03-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Don't believe everything that you read on the internet or from the press...very lazy journalism

Come on its prtetty clear you must be wrong here

Every available source, including the official Reading and Sheff U sites say he signed permanently for Utd in Feb (even if permanent was only 5 months)

Now its announced Utd have released him, not Reading

Nelson Muntz
03-07-2010, 09:08 PM
The poster has been a HOL user since 2002 and is a 'coach' by occupation. Claims he saw Harper training with the team in Friday.
Harper did NOT train with the team on Friday.

jams1234
03-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Harper did NOT train with the team on Friday.
So what was your earlier post about?

Nelson Muntz
03-07-2010, 09:34 PM
So what was your earlier post about?
Which one?

I know somebody who knows James Harper. I trust that person. I will pass on info if I can, but have to be careful.

At this stage James Harper has not signed for Palace and is, as far as I know, still weighing up his options.

jams1234
03-07-2010, 09:53 PM
The one you deleted. Cheers for the info anyway mate.

Nelson Muntz
03-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Oh it was only saying that I could find out on Monday whether he trained with the Palace team.
Somebody else posted the info already that he didn't. That info is correct as far as I know.

AJ's right boot
03-07-2010, 10:04 PM
bummer

hoskingt
03-07-2010, 10:06 PM

Every available source, including the official Reading and Sheff U sites say he signed permanently for Utd in Feb (even if permanent was only 5 months)

Yup, in january his loan deal was made PERMINENT, signing until end of the season. (Agreeing with you)

hoskingt
03-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I like the fact he said no to playing for Ghana in the 2006 WC saying, "I've never even been to Ghana" :lux:

Ridcully
03-07-2010, 11:22 PM

I can see why people don't post things on here when all they get is flak. Reading gave up their rights to a recall clause which in effect I guess could be construed as the same thing but it makes little difference. At the end of the day Harper ran down his contract as a free agent is entitled to do and is now weighing up his options. United for what its worth did make him an offer to stay. Now if you want to believe the press who generally get their info from sites like this then that is your choice.

FORZA SELHURST
04-07-2010, 12:15 AM
I think we need to hear more about the contractual nuances of Harper's pre-history.;)

Ridcully
04-07-2010, 12:39 AM
I think we need to hear more about the contractual nuances of Harper's pre-history.;)

Mad innit :)

917L
04-07-2010, 08:02 AM
I can see why people don't post things on here when all they get is flak. Reading gave up their rights to a recall clause which in effect I guess could be construed as the same thing but it makes little difference. At the end of the day Harper ran down his contract as a free agent is entitled to do and is now weighing up his options. United for what its worth did make him an offer to stay. Now if you want to believe the press who generally get their info from sites like this then that is your choice.

No I believe the official Sheffield Utd and Reading sites

And I havent given you any flak at all, just questioned whether you are correct or not. In this case I dont see theres any way you can be as you are the only person saying he didnt sign for Utd. I would assume the clubs know more than you do, wouldnt you??

Ridcully
04-07-2010, 08:07 AM
No I believe the official Sheffield Utd and Reading sites

And I havent given you any flak at all, just questioned whether you are correct or not. In this case I dont see theres any way you can be as you are the only person saying he didnt sign for Utd. I would assume the clubs know more than you do, wouldnt you??

Does it matter? :rolleyes:

917L
04-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Does it matter? :rolleyes:

In the grand scheme of things obviously not

But youre making a big deal out of iot, but cant explain how you can be right and both clubs wrong

Bobsta
04-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Damn somone may well offer more then...we really need this signing to happen!!

rhynoeagle
04-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Will this thread have more posts then when Darren Ambrose was linked ?

:D

PLEASE SIGN HIM PALACE :D

cpfcfan1
04-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Hull 606 board claim Harper was training with Hull and was having a fitness test

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A71204320

The Gerry Queen
04-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Hull 606 board claim Harper was training with Hull and was having a fitness test

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A71204320

Means very little. Players train and spend some pre season with clubs and then sign with whoever they want to. Would be suprised if he chose a club about to go into admin over one that has just come out though.

Jay_Palace
04-07-2010, 12:51 PM
This Hull business is puzzling; they have a 20 million pound a year wage bill and are surely in imminent danger of going into admin. I have no idea why Pearson would leave a club on the up to go there; nor do I see how they can possibly be competitive with wages in their position.

orp pisshead1
04-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Once hes been to hull i doubt he'll sign.

Gooders
04-07-2010, 01:53 PM
This Hull business is puzzling; they have a 20 million pound a year wage bill and are surely in imminent danger of going into admin. I have no idea why Pearson would leave a club on the up to go there; nor do I see how they can possibly be competitive with wages in their position.

It does make you wonder. In fact, the mind boggles.

Can only be a shit or bust gamble on getting straight back up.

gold76
04-07-2010, 02:03 PM
It will be a case of "little wins" for Hull

If they can release Bullard on a free & save circa 40k a week in wages
Harper on say 10k a week would be good business.

Adam Pearson (& indeed Nigel Pearson) seem to be shrewd operators.

rhynoeagle
04-07-2010, 02:10 PM
This is seeming more and more like its not happening :(

GrahamS
04-07-2010, 02:30 PM
It will be a case of "little wins" for Hull

If they can release Bullard on a free & save circa 40k a week in wages
Harper on say 10k a week would be good business.

Adam Pearson (& indeed Nigel Pearson) seem to be shrewd operators.

Quite agree and if they do go into admin and see him in January they'll be making a profit on any deal too.

BulletEagle
04-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Who was that guy who said he knew Harper? Nelson Muntz? Tell him to go to Palace.

Thanks.

maxpower
04-07-2010, 05:16 PM
So who is telling the truth the BBS or HOLMESDALE?

BulletEagle
04-07-2010, 05:19 PM

Hopefully HOL

adrenalin john
04-07-2010, 05:20 PM

Could it be no one knows, including Harper, as he is still weighing up his options

Ridcully
04-07-2010, 06:02 PM
He was at another club Friday (could be Hull)

maxpower
04-07-2010, 06:16 PM
How do you know?

Ridcully
04-07-2010, 06:19 PM
How do you know?

Read Nelson Muntz's first post on this thread (page 2)

And yes I am asking regularly and will post what I find out when I can, please remember James has not made his mind up yet, I am confident he will soon, I have everything crossed that it will be us and I am doing everything I can to talk us up :D

Ridcully
04-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I also hope I never have to go through this again, I never expected the Spanish Inquisition ;)

pauldrulez
04-07-2010, 06:26 PM
How do you know?
Because he does.

This isn't a 25-post person that's telling you it.

I'm inclined to believe Ridcully as what would be the point in him making it up.

Ridcully
04-07-2010, 06:26 PM
If any of you want to help me, please read this thread

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204720

Ridcully
04-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Because he does.

This isn't a 25-post person that's telling you it.

I'm inclined to believe Ridcully as what would be the point in him making it up.

Thanks Paul. For the record I never post gossip or speculation I am a fan, like most of you on most things I generally know nothing. I am not going to push, its not fair but as this is hopefully coming to end soon now I have revealed a bit more.

I may not find out before it is publicly announced, I can only ask.

maxpower
04-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Sorry never saw that but cheers for the information, usually people chat shit so many times its hard to know if to believe it. I do hope you're helping him make a great decision by joining us by saying good things to his family. Kepp up with the good work

The Gerry Queen
04-07-2010, 10:35 PM
The poster on HOL who saw JH training with us on Friday ( BALLBOYS) is adament tonight that he absolutely did see him there on Friday. Posted again at 10.49pm tonight. Not the kind of response to indicate that he was telling porkies or was mistaken.

Oh well. Tomorrow will tell. Great if he did sign although I do wonder why Reading and Sheffield United don't think he's worth it ?

orp pisshead1
04-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Read Nelson Muntz's first post on this thread (page 2)

And yes I am asking regularly and will post what I find out when I can, please remember James has not made his mind up yet, I am confident he will soon, I have everything crossed that it will be us and I am doing everything I can to talk us up :D
Hope you mentioned the HF & AWM:-)

Ridcully
04-07-2010, 11:05 PM
The poster on HOL who saw JH training with us on Friday ( BALLBOYS) is adament tonight that he absolutely did see him there on Friday. Posted again at 10.49pm tonight. Not the kind of response to indicate that he was telling porkies or was mistaken.

Oh well. Tomorrow will tell. Great if he did sign although I do wonder why Reading and Sheffield United don't think he's worth it ?

I suppose its possible I know he was meeting another club. Even if it was Hull he could have trained and then flown or got the train or maybe it was QPR ;)

Big Guns
04-07-2010, 11:21 PM
I know it's the sun and they said on Friday we were signing him, but on the website now it says he will be persons first signing at hull

Il Padrino
05-07-2010, 10:12 AM
CRYSTAL Palace boss George Burley looks set to miss out on James Harper - with the former Sheffield United and Reading midfielder poised to sign for Hull.
The Eagles manager confirmed last week that the 29-year-old, who is a free agent, was a target.
But it appears that new Hull boss Adam Pearson is closing in on making Harper his first capture since taking charge at the KC Stadium.
Burley said: "We made James an offer but it looks as though he is going to Hull."
Don't miss tomorrow's South London Press for the latest Palace news.

kolinkins
05-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Gutted

Money talks, sadly. Though why Hull are in a posituion to sign players, I will not know.

Still, Danns, Ambrose and Dorman is tasty enough.

EagleSE24
05-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Oh well. Still 8 weeks of until the transfer window 'slams shut' though, so plenty of opportunity to get someone else in.

Jimmy Eagle
05-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Bollocks. Why would you go to a Hull. Its a shithole of the highest order, and the club are likely to go into administration.

Psychokiller
05-07-2010, 10:19 AM
So Hull don't have any outstanding footballing debts and therefore no transfer embargo? I'm surprised!

eagles #1
05-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Damn :(

GreatGonzo
05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Bollocks. Why would you go to a Hull. Its a shithole of the highest order, and the club are likely to go into administration.

Cos you sign with them, get a signing on fee and in 6 months you can move again when they are selling everyone and get another one? ;)

Not suggesting that is what he is doing but there is certainly a risk of administration there. However if they avoid admin and selling players then they are likely to be 1 of the sides there or there abouts for promotion.

maxpower
05-07-2010, 10:34 AM
OH FFS TAKES THE PISS

NateEagle
05-07-2010, 10:37 AM
To a professional (he's just looking for a job after all) Hull will look like the bigger, better proposition, even with the threat of admin.

Its crap news as I was really looking forward to this signing but there'll be others and as has been said many times before, its just chuffing brilliant to be being linked/signing players again. Just please get a striker George ;-)

maxpower
05-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Well burley has said on palace player he hopes by the end of the week he will have 5 or 6 new players more in

Bobsta
05-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Hull are *****. Shame if he goes there rather than us, still Dorman has got me quite moist :)

The Gerry Queen
05-07-2010, 10:59 AM
So Hull don't have any outstanding footballing debts and therefore no transfer embargo? I'm surprised!

They are cutting wages and getting rid of players fast. However, until things get worse for them, they will be able to sign players like Harper to try to stay in contention for promotion. If they fail to reduce their overheads enough and also fail to achieve promotion then they will go into admin at the end of the coming season.Promotion or bust. Harper will be off again before then if it's any consolation. I still wonder why Reading and Sheffield United don't want him around as they are both decent contenders for promotion ? He could have done a job for us but so can many more , probably for a lot less cash.

Palace Don
05-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Thats a real shame, as he is a great player

adrenalin john
05-07-2010, 11:12 AM
I would like to know what the story at Hull is. Last I heard they 30 million in debt, had borrowed against the parachute money had 7 strikers they were paying a combined 200,000 a week and were unable to shift a no knee midfielder on 45,000 a week even on a free.

Strange, they have persuaded Pearson to move, paid off the orange singing one and are now outbidding debt free clubs on wages.

Are they taking SJ gamble ie promotion

adrenalin john
05-07-2010, 11:14 AM
or bust

Stavros 69
05-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Balls we've missed out on a good one.

The Bishop
05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Not too disappointed, to be honest. Reading fans insist he is not the player he once was (during their promotion year and first season in the premier league).

The Bishop
05-07-2010, 11:24 AM

I was keen on us signing him until I read the comments made about him on the Reading message board.

Reading fans are adamant he is not the same player as four or five years ago. Past his best, according to them.

maxpower
05-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Oh well reading sheff utd fans views as well they say he was shite for them, hopefully dorman will bring us something different

The Bishop
05-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Very much hope GB now turns his attentions to this guy. Sounds like a good prospect:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/mar/28/ipswichtown

GodstoneEagle
05-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Money talks, I always thought he'd be out of our reach but the ambition of trying to sign him in the first place is positive enough news for me :)

The Gerry Queen
05-07-2010, 11:32 AM
I was keen on us signing him until I read the comments made about him on the Reading message board.

Reading fans are adamant he is not the same player as four or five years ago. Past his best, according to them.

Same story at Brammal Lane. He was rubbish in February when we beat the Blades at Selhurst too. That's not to say that his career couldn't have been resurected, as with Ambrose, by Burley or that it won't be by Pearson either.

It just seems strange that not one but two likely promotion contenders definately didn't want him in their squad. There is more to this than we can see and we just may have had a narrow escape. Better to go for hungrier and younger prospects which is why the Dorman potential signing is more in keeping with the new CPFC2010 style in my opinion.

GreatGonzo
05-07-2010, 11:36 AM
I would like to know what the story at Hull is. Last I heard they 30 million in debt, had borrowed against the parachute money had 7 strikers they were paying a combined 200,000 a week and were unable to shift a no knee midfielder on 45,000 a week even on a free.

Strange, they have persuaded Pearson to move, paid off the orange singing one and are now outbidding debt free clubs on wages.

Are they taking SJ gamble ie promotion

The debt is not the issue, it is servicing it that will define administration or not.

Having moved on Hunt and someone else to Wolves and with Giovanni and Bullard facing the exit door with 2 hands on their back the 16m parachute payment is not going to all be used up by wages so they could borrow against it.

It may not quite be promotion or bust mentality but certainly by appointing Pearson they are looking at going straight back up. I think they could survive longer than 1 season in the Championship as long as they do not have any agressive or hostile cerditors.

The Gerry Queen
05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Very much hope GB now turns his attentions to this guy. Sounds like a good prospect:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/mar/28/ipswichtown

Absolutely. At 22 years old I just can't believe that Keane wants rid of him. He has the potential to play in the Prem and could easily be the outstanding Championship midfielder for the coming season. With Derry gone, Garvan would be ideal for us alongside Ambrose,Danns and hopefully Dorman.

GreatGonzo
05-07-2010, 11:43 AM
The only questions mark alongside Garvan, as well as Ambrose, Danns and Dorman is the defensive side of the game and the ability to tackle.

Would put an awful lot of pressure on the defenders if no midfielder is particularly good at tackling.

Going forward we would look good though.

orp pisshead1
05-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Who cares, he obviously didn't want to sign for us.

dannyboy1807
05-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Harper was on 15k a week at Sheffield United he would have had to take a big wage cut to join us.

orp pisshead1
05-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Harper was on 15k a week at Sheffield United he would have had to take a big wage cut to join us.
Exactly why he didn't sign so obviously not hungry enough to play for what will be a proper footballing side next season.

IpswichEagle
05-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Absolutely. At 22 years old I just can't believe that Keane wants rid of him. He has the potential to play in the Prem and could easily be the outstanding Championship midfielder for the coming season. With Derry gone, Garvan would be ideal for us alongside Ambrose,Danns and hopefully Dorman.

Garvan is a very good young player. I'm surprised that he is on his way out of Ipswich (but then this is RK we are talking about). Behind Wickham, i think OG (unfortunate initials) is Ipswich's most promising player. He's a very good passer of the ball.

I hope he is one that GB has his eye on.

The only downside as mentioned, is that we might end up being a bit lightweight in midfield.

We need a replacement for Derry that's for sure. N'Diaye is not it IMHO.

Also - Lee Martin is on the list at Portman Road as well. Rumoured to be on 12k a week (not worth it on last season's showing) but again, could be a promising player. Good crosser of the ball.

Ridcully
05-07-2010, 12:18 PM
The debt is not the issue, it is servicing it that will define administration or not.

Having moved on Hunt and someone else to Wolves and with Giovanni and Bullard facing the exit door with 2 hands on their back the 16m parachute payment is not going to all be used up by wages so they could borrow against it.

It may not quite be promotion or bust mentality but certainly by appointing Pearson they are looking at going straight back up. I think they could survive longer than 1 season in the Championship as long as they do not have any agressive or hostile cerditors.

Exactly, Man U are over 500 million in debt.

Nothings done yet, I love the way things have changed so much in a day.

I would expect length of contract to play a big part in this.

Ridcully
05-07-2010, 12:20 PM

:rolleyes:

MFC
05-07-2010, 02:15 PM
He is off to hull city i am not bothered about him since he left Reading his form has dipped badly.

rhynoeagle
05-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Real shame, i was looking forward to him. But this Dorman bloke sounds great too. :D

Oh south london
05-07-2010, 02:35 PM
A big shame if you ask me. Nothing we could have done about it though.

Braders
05-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Got to be honest and say that a couple of season's ago I would have been more bothered. I really hope we turn our attentions to Garven, a player with the potential to be even better than Harper - come on GB!!

elgin eagle
05-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Good player but not worth 15k a week. Plenty more fish in the sea, we can get 3 good players for that, while there are still plenty of freebies around.

jams1234
05-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Good player, and I would be excited if we signed him, but he is not the be all and end all. I would rather Dorman on lower wages and potential for more than Harper on higher wages and no better than Danns. Dorman offers us something different, I wouldn't feel Harper would have.

Gooders
05-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Nice to see Hull showing financial prudence now that they've been relegated with their enormous debts.

Bottom line - too expensive for us, irrespective of whether he's still any good or not.

pauldrulez
05-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Nice to see how people turn after a player decides to go elsewhere....

Godstone Eagle
05-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Some you win, some you lose...move on to other targets

cpfcfan1
05-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Shame, would of been a good signing, still good to see we aint offering any money just to sign players.

Lets move on :)

917L
05-07-2010, 06:09 PM
He hast actually gone anywhere yet, has he?

Ridcully
05-07-2010, 06:56 PM
He hast actually gone anywhere yet, has he?

Nope but as I said he was with another club on Friday, confirmed today.

Negotiations are still ongoing.

The Gerry Queen
05-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Nope but as I said he was with another club on Friday, confirmed today.

Negotiations are still ongoing.

With us still or is that with Hull ?

spt1978
05-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Rather he went elsewhere than us playing wages we cannot afford.

lewisham eagle
05-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Think now that other clubs are reportdley intrested who have more money for wages doubt that he will come here. Other clubs will probably offer him the 15k a week he wants and there is no point of us getting in one of them battles.