PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Derry signs for QPR (official)

Pages : [1] 2

Alan Key
25-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi Shaun fans.

Now i've met Shaun a number of times. Wonderful bloke he really is. Got chatting to the wife (who is a fantastic singer by the way) of our grey haired warhorse the other day (he was out), and this is a result of our conversation.

Long story short he's received a couple of offers from all sorts of places, and he'll be putting pen to paper on one shortly. She wasn't going to name clubs (sensible woman too), but there was an indication that they weren't a million miles away. Apart from one in Greece, but we don't think he'll be going there.

So this is an opportunity to say goodbye Shaun, and thank you. I know you look at these sites. You've got to move on for some stability for your family, so cheers again for a great few years and the sheer amount of heart you've shown in leading this team to survival this year, even if your legs barely carried you at the end! You're a terrific captain, a lovely bloke and a great role model to younger players. Good luck at your next club and future off the field.

I'm sure we all suspected he was off, but it's some closure regardless.

joshuah
25-05-2010, 09:12 PM
we love you
we love you
we love you

ExiledStirling
25-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Can the last player to leave turn out the light :(

BulletEagle
25-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Can the last player to leave turn out the light :(

There is a power cut at SE25.

Link

Barbara4003
25-05-2010, 09:17 PM
It's the beginning of the end :sob:

Vince Hilaire's Afro
25-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Got chatting to the wife (who is a fantastic singer by the way) of our grey haired warhorse the other day (he was out)

:eek:

Scoot
25-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Please say its the Palace offer

Alan Key
25-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing. She also reckons the players believe we'll start next season with an 18 point deduction, as any takeover is taking bare long. However I'd take this in the manner it's said as I doubt the players know much more than we do about the state of the club at this stage.

CPFC_DAVE77
25-05-2010, 09:31 PM
How about the stability we provided him and his family when he was rotting in Leeds reserves praying for a game somewhere?

I am a massive fan of Derry and have had the pleasure of chatting to him and witness his fantastic role behind the scenes in a Captain capacity. He really did look like the archetypal right hand man (this was when Warnock was gaffer I should add)

However, don't let your meeting him and him being such a lovely guy make you feel you have to fold his pants for him and kiss him on the cheek as he walks off. He could if he wanted wait for the club to see if they can offer him something. He knows he's getting this months 6k odd due to Ambrose moving on (assuming he does).

I haven't got a bad word to say about him as a man and a captain; as a player he is limited but brilliant at what he does. But to say he has to sign for someone else for the sake of his family is not true I would have thought.

ExiledStirling
25-05-2010, 09:32 PM
There is a power cut at SE25.

Link

And your link did not work . Everything is falling apart :(

beef
25-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Will never forget the display in Sheffield and the reaction after.

Alan Key
25-05-2010, 09:36 PM
How about the stability we provided him and his family when he was rotting in Leeds reserves praying for a game somewhere?

I am a massive fan of Derry and have had the pleasure of chatting to him and witness his fantastic role behind the scenes in a Captain capacity. He really did look like the archetypal right hand man (this was when Warnock was gaffer I should add)

However, don't let your meeting him and him being such a lovely guy make you feel you have to fold his pants for him and kiss him on the cheek as he walks off. He could if he wanted wait for the club to see if they can offer him something. He knows he's getting this months 6k odd due to Ambrose moving on (assuming he does).

I haven't got a bad word to say about him as a man and a captain; as a player he is limited but brilliant at what he does. But to say he has to sign for someone else for the sake of his family is not true I would have thought.

You know what, he's got two very young children and they're under quite a bit of pressure to choose a school for them at the moment. There's only so much waiting they can do, and as Palace haven't offered him anything yet it makes sense from their point of view to sign elsewhere sharpish and give the squids the stability they need.

tasty_snacks
25-05-2010, 09:38 PM
You know what, he's got two very young children and they're under quite a bit of pressure to choose a school for them at the moment. There's only so much waiting they can do, and as Palace haven't offered him anything yet it makes sense from their point of view to sign elsewhere sharpish and give the squids the stability they need.

Fair point.

Good luck Dezza.

CPFC_DAVE77
25-05-2010, 09:40 PM

I'm not saying wait forever but the 09/10 season hasn't even officially ended yet. I'm simply saying he 'could' give us a bit of time if he really wanted to give Palace first option. Not saying he should, and I now absolutely think he'll follow the other two to NW, I'm just saying he does not have to make a decision right now.

mrgins
25-05-2010, 09:41 PM
The bottom line is that it's a job. Even though people don't necessarily like change and prefer to stay where they are, they still need a regular income and a future ahead of them

nickkris
25-05-2010, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we lose quite a few players before any takeover is completed, but another angle is that of course the players have to consider their options with the very real possibility that there will be no contracts for them at CPFC or maybe even no CPFC full stop. However this could also be seen as hedging bets, keeping all doors open. I would imagine that if it looks like the deal is nearing completion and a CVA might be successfully agreed, that CPFC 2010 would instruct BG not to sell in a few cases..

FraserH
25-05-2010, 09:48 PM
A massive loss if true. I thought this was going to be a good summer after avoiding the drop but this prolonged takeover and the slow painful destruction of the squad is killing me.

Oh south london
25-05-2010, 10:43 PM
I am not giving up hope that we can hold on to some of our better players. We need to have some sort of a competitve playing staff at the club. I know the priority at the moment is that we have a club to support however we can't just stand by and watch out team get desemated for the sake of a few weeks without funding. So annoying really as we are all powerless. Can we please just not plead with cpfc2010 to give the club funding. Also I find it irritating that we are not able to offer Derry some sort of a contract when we previously have replenished Andrew, Dijali and another players contract whos name escapes me.

Benzhiyi
25-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing. She also reckons the players believe we'll start next season with an 18 point deduction, as any takeover is taking bare long. However I'd take this in the manner it's said as I doubt the players know much more than we do about the state of the club at this stage.

Why 18 rather than 10?!

GodstoneEagle
25-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Your second spell was better than your first Shaun, let's hope your third is even better :)

Eye-dee
26-05-2010, 05:34 AM
It's the beginning of the end :sob:

The end of the beginning, surely?

Dorking .Eagle
26-05-2010, 06:08 AM
Why 18 rather than 10?!

The benchmark for exiting Admin without a CVA is -17 (Rotherham, Bournemouth) plus a bonus point for repeatedly going into Admin I suppose:(

Pompey will probably get something similar though, and Preston, Cardiff, Hull and no doubt a few others will skate close to the edge too during the next year

TC EAGLE
26-05-2010, 06:37 AM

Probably why there is so much media talk of players going the players know more than we the fans do

swissroll
26-05-2010, 06:44 AM
More than likely that Freedman is giving the nod to those who won't be re-signed to sort themselves out asap. CPFC2010 have their plan and I,m sure Doogie is aware of it.

Kirby
26-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Good luck Dezza. It was a pleasure having a piss with you at the services after Sheffield :D :p

Whyteleafe_Sage
26-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Shaun Derry Derry
Was better than Stevie G
More faithfull than John Terry
Shaun Derry Derry
:sob:

Whyteleafe_Sage
26-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Will probably go down in history as one of the great Palace captains for this season alone...

Voldo
26-05-2010, 10:02 AM
we can't blame the players for leaving, whether for stability or being touted around, or simply that they want to leave.

They gave thier all last season and kept us up - 2009/10 job done. Palace as a club will always be in thier hearts and minds.

But, the jubilation has been very short lived and everyone is back on tender hooks. Worried, frustrated, hopeful, pessimistic, determined that a deal can, will, won't or should be done.

But, a key facor, for playing staff - is the possibility of going through it all again, but with a bigger points deduction. They have done thier bit - we the fans are the ones who have to carry on the fight and support the next generation of players in the red and blue for 2010/11 season.

There will be old heads, new heads and young heads. Tears, tantrums passion and pride. Players and managers come and go but we'll still be in the stands as the 12th man. Always.

adrenalin john
26-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Good luck to him. His next contract could well be his last, while not on the breadline as a family man it is utterly understandible that he wants some stability.

Palace without money,a ground, owners, or manager can offer none of that to a player whose contract is at an end.

He like so many of the other players put his heart and soul into keeping us up, and I genuinely can't applaud their spirit enough.

Without Derry's resolve I don't think we would have done it. If as the thread starter intimated he does read these boards - then I would like to say a big andf genuine thanks - good luck for the future - and if you come back with another team you will certainly get applauded by me. (at least until kick off)

David of Kent
26-05-2010, 10:47 AM
I do wish people on this thread, and in others, would stop making out that because these guys are footballers, they can afford to go without their wage being paid on time or that we shouldn't feel for them because they may earn more than us.

Simply put, you may earn more, but your outgoings are therefore far more too. Public schools (as has been said), car payments, bigger mortgages. We all cut our cloth according to our wages and once they're taken away or postponed we can all hurt.

Lambeth Palace
26-05-2010, 10:51 AM
CPFC 2010 aren't going to be busting a gut trying to keep hold of contracts that are unsustainable for the club. The sooner we get used to it the better. Thanks for everything Shaun, shame we can't afford you anymore.

Maz
26-05-2010, 10:58 AM
No-one else surprised that a player's wife is revealing details to people about the state of his contract?

Thanet Eagle
26-05-2010, 11:31 AM
No-one else surprised that a player's wife is revealing details to people about the state of his contract?

Maybe she naively assumed that the details would not be posted on the world wide web.

Alan Key
26-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Shaun's a free agent. Everyone knows that. Nothing I was told and subsequently passed on is going to affect their immediate future. All i'm doing is just clarifying common sense really. Now if I said 'Shaun's definitely going to sign for X' then I'd agree with you. Other footballers and families that I've met have been equally candid.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
26-05-2010, 01:31 PM
He should go with our blessing. He's played a massive part in us still being a Championship team

Good Luck Shaun, thanks for the huge amount of effort, passion, blood, sweat & tears you've shown for the Palace over both spells with the Club.

sydnsteve
26-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Very sad if true, but I couldn't blame him at all. And as it is bound to be QPR I imagine it wo't be bad wages.

Absolution
26-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Aren't our players under contract until the end of June or something?

Seems a bit silly to go signing other deals whilst the club is in the process of being taken over. Of course new deals wouldn't be offered yet..

Richard
26-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Good luck to him. His next contract could well be his last, while not on the breadline as a family man it is utterly understandible that he wants some stability.

Palace without money,a ground, owners, or manager can offer none of that to a player whose contract is at an end.

He like so many of the other players put his heart and soul into keeping us up, and I genuinely can't applaud their spirit enough.

Without Derry's resolve I don't think we would have done it. If as the thread starter intimated he does read these boards - then I would like to say a big andf genuine thanks - good luck for the future - and if you come back with another team you will certainly get applauded by me. (at least until kick off)

Quite.

Owngoal
26-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Not sure of the age of his kids but schools will be very important to sort out. Where he lives there is a brilliant little village primary school which I'm sure his Mrs would like - might be able to commute to QPR or do a house swap with Alan Lee if its Ipswich. Any decent 2 year contract will be too much to turn down at 32. wish him the best of luck and he will be someone who can look forward to coming back to Selhurst.

Bounty_Killa
26-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Legend!

Gotta think of the family Shaun :p

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3643/4558831098_79084bfc4b.jpg

greybot
08-06-2010, 10:35 AM
:(

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/QPR-win-race-for-Crystal-Palace-midfielder-Shaun-Derry-article452647.html

Jordan's Jacket
08-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Shame if true. True gent is Shaun. Will be wasted at the Super Hoofs

brighton_eagle
08-06-2010, 11:02 AM
How lacking in imagination is Warnock exactly?

:D

Jimmy Eagle
08-06-2010, 11:06 AM

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/QPR-win-race-for-Crystal-Palace-midfielder-Shaun-Derry-article452647.html

Don't forget this is the paper broke the news that we were interested in signing Dougie and that Sheff Utd wanted Ertl in goal......

Jordan's Jacket
08-06-2010, 11:11 AM

about as much as he lacks in ability

CPFC_DAVE77
08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Don't forget this is the paper broke the news that we were interested in signing Dougie and that Sheff Utd wanted Ertl in goal......

Yea and having gone on their Palace page, it always has a story titled 'Part Hart linked with Notts County'...

Dal
08-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Derry's best years are clearly behind him.

He goes to QPR with our good wishes.

Cleon
08-06-2010, 11:21 AM
What a detailed report.

If he's off, then good luck to him. I'd rather he stayed and help rebuild the club, but he's Warnock style player and I suspect QPR can offer him substantially more than we can.

rhynoeagle
08-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Great Lad, I would rather he go then the likes of Danns, Speroni and Ambrose. We could of done without him in out last 3/4 of the season except against WBA and Sheff Wednesday were he was heroic. He'll always be accepted here if he does leave, not for his ability but for his true passion and love for our club.

Whats he going to offer QPR ? I think its just Warnock being an arse trying to take as much as he can.

David
08-06-2010, 01:24 PM

LOL @ Warncock!

Man of Kent
08-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Is that a report? How incisive!

Dobbo
08-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Would be extremely surprised if Shaun signs for anyone before he has spoken to our new management. Having said that, if he then decides to move for more cash, good luck to him. The upside is that it will present a great opportunity to Johnny Ertl, providing he's not in goal for Shunt of course ;)

Owngoal
08-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Love the fact it is described as a 'battle' to sign him, even our best player Ambrose only had QPR which does surprise me.

eagle101
08-06-2010, 02:26 PM

Embarrassing isn't it?

Al From Bromley
08-06-2010, 05:05 PM
QPR fans take on the news. I'd be surprised after his passion at the end of last season if Derry went Tommy Cooper stylee (i.e. just like that)

http://qprreport.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=14175

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
08-06-2010, 05:11 PM
So is he going to leave or not?
Was going to read it but the report looked a bit too long,

cpfcfan1
08-06-2010, 05:13 PM
If we lose Derry and Ertl it wil be a diaster :(

AddiscombeCPFC
08-06-2010, 05:29 PM
If I was a QPR fan, I would be extremely underwhelmed by Warnocks buying policy. No disrespect to Derry, but I'm sure he'll be the first to admit his best years are behind him and he was never a Premiership standard player. Certainly not the kind of player you'd think the richest club in the world (TM) would be chasing for their promotion push.

Hope he stays but if he goes, then best of luck to him. He'll deffo get a warm round of applause from me when he comes back to Selhurst :)

AddiscombeCPFC
08-06-2010, 05:30 PM

Agree.

But I cant see Ertl going anywhere.

bradpitt
08-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Would it?

cpfcfan1
08-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Well yes they are very good defending midfielders, all we would have left is N'diaye unless of course we ditch the idea of playing defensive at home n go out on the attack with two wingers and two decent central players...

gold76
08-06-2010, 06:21 PM

I agree, would lack a bit of bite & balance to go with our attacking flair

David
08-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Michael Hughes was a game changing midfield dynamo, Shaun Derry (as much as I like him) has never been as good or had the influence of a Hughsie.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
08-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Well yes they are very good defending midfielders, all we would have left is N'diaye unless of course we ditch the idea of playing defensive at home n go out on the attack with two wingers and two decent central players...

It would of course be bad to lose any players with any kind of ability.

But that's where looking for equally talented (but affordable) players to take their place comes in.....

cpfcben
08-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Agree.

But I cant see Ertl going anywhere. The turtle has gone.

Seaside Eagle
08-06-2010, 10:01 PM
The turtle has gone.
:sob: :sob: :sob:

thehalifaxman
14-06-2010, 08:36 PM
On Sky Sports that Derry talks are at an advanced stage :(

Presume there is a lot of players have talks with other clubs. Really hope we get a new manager in and can buid a new squad up that can keep us up again asap!

CPFC_DAVE77
14-06-2010, 08:38 PM
On Sky Sports that Derry talks are at an advanced stage :(

Presume there is a lot of players have talks with other clubs. Really hope we get a new manager in and can buid a new squad up that can keep us up again asap!

To who, QPR?

BulletEagle
14-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Is this the same Sky Sports that said Darren Ambrose had signed for QPR?

Phil's Barber
14-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Or the same Sky Sports that is utter shyte?

Hedgehog
15-06-2010, 12:48 AM
If true... QPR fans must be spitting feathers!

Is the best Warnock can come up with is a couple over over the hill journeymen nicked from Palace and a goalkeeper from his other old club?

So much for competing with Chelsea...

Gooders
15-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Spitting feathers means thirsty, Hedgie. :p

MasterYoda
15-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Spitting feathers means thirsty, Hedgie. :pIt's actually got two meanings - one meaning thirsty, the other angry.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/spitting-feathers.html

TheCharmer
15-06-2010, 10:29 AM
he s going to QPR, with two others

Lords Eagle
15-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Or the same Sky Sports that is utter shyte?

No it's the other one that talks complete bollx :)

Kirby
15-06-2010, 10:38 AM
It's actually got two meanings - one meaning thirsty, the other angry.

That's you told.

Voldo
15-06-2010, 10:45 AM
he s going to QPR, with two others

Hill and? another Freebie?

TheCharmer
15-06-2010, 12:44 PM
i dont know about Hill but 2 others

Hedgehog
15-06-2010, 12:49 PM
It's actually got two meanings - one meaning thirsty, the other angry.

You I thank MasterYoda! :p

howard
15-06-2010, 01:02 PM
All our players have been spoken to by 2010,those that want to stay can & those that don't, can walk(out of contract players) & will be replaced with players that want to play for Palace. This is a completely new era for the club & If or one can't wait fort the new regime to really get going.

silver
15-06-2010, 01:09 PM
nice one

Cleon
15-06-2010, 01:21 PM
nice one

geezer. and that's as far as the conversation went.

Beanie
15-06-2010, 01:24 PM
All our players have been spoken to by 2010,those that want to stay can & those that don't, can walk(out of contract players) & will be replaced with players that want to play for Palace. This is a completely new era for the club & If or one can't wait fort the new regime to really get going.
Seems fair enough - but I wonder if the new manager has had any input. Be a bit sad if 2010 give a player a new deal only for the manager to say he'd had prefered to let him go!

Kai
15-06-2010, 01:27 PM

Does that mean Matt lawrence getting a new deal if he wants to? :moo:

All_Fired_Up
21-06-2010, 04:16 AM
Does Burley play a defensive midfield field player or does he like CM's and AM's ???

What formation are we going to play - 4 4 2 or 4 3 3 ???

dave_who_ru
21-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Got chatting to the wife (who is a fantastic singer by the way) of our grey haired warhorse the other day (he was out), and this is a result of our conversation.

Hopefully not Ugandan discussions.

doodledandy
21-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi Shaun fans.

Now i've met Shaun a number of times. Wonderful bloke he really is. Got chatting to the wife (who is a fantastic singer by the way) of our grey haired warhorse the other day (he was out), and this is a result of our conversation.

Long story short he's received a couple of offers from all sorts of places, and he'll be putting pen to paper on one shortly. She wasn't going to name clubs (sensible woman too), but there was an indication that they weren't a million miles away. Apart from one in Greece, but we don't think he'll be going there.

So this is an opportunity to say goodbye Shaun, and thank you. I know you look at these sites. You've got to move on for some stability for your family, so cheers again for a great few years and the sheer amount of heart you've shown in leading this team to survival this year, even if your legs barely carried you at the end! You're a terrific captain, a lovely bloke and a great role model to younger players. Good luck at your next club and future off the field.

I'm sure we all suspected he was off, but it's some closure regardless.

Four weeks up the road and he's still not signed for anyone yet. It strikes me that anyone could write a similar sentance about any out of contract player and not be right or wrong, if you know what I mean!

doodledandy
21-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Not quite true. Those who would like to stay and are considered worthy of their place by George Burley, will be offered a new contract, but those who GB doesn't see a future for, will be gone.

We're cleaning house and a new era has begun, so we'll all have to accept that changes will be inevitable.

BulletEagle
21-06-2010, 05:46 PM
From Fulham Chronicle:

Link (http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/london-qpr/2010/06/21/crystal-palace-star-s-qpr-move-in-doubt-82029-26692782/?)

QPR were last night attempting to rescue the deal that brings Shaun Derry to the club after Ipswich Town made it plain they intend to snatch the player from under Rangers' noses.

The Crystal Palace midfelder has long been on the Rs radar as a replacement for Gavin Mahon in the gap between defence and midfield – but the Tractor Boys are ready to use all means available to get Derry for themselves.

It’s understood Ipswich gave notice to Rangers of their intentions to make sure agents did not start a bidding war over wages, but Rs chairman Gianni Paladini has moved quickly to keep Derry on course for Loftus Road next season.

An insider said: “Boss Neil Warnock has set his heart on getting a player he knows well from his time at Crystal Palace – and Rangers are ready to pull out the stops to complete the Derry signing.”

Derry was alerted to Ipswich’s interest because Warnock refuses to guarantee the 32-year-old a permanent berth. The manager intends to chop and change his formation next season and dispense with a holding midfielder from time to time.

Gooders
21-06-2010, 06:01 PM
That's you told.

So, someone used it incorrectly out of context in the 70's on TV and now it has taken on that meaning?

It means thirsty, it's always meant thirsty - it sounds like it means thirsty.

"Spitting mad" is the phrase for angry.

Psychokiller
21-06-2010, 06:05 PM
I really can't see Derry tolerating playing for a wanker like Roy Keane.

IAN WALSH
21-06-2010, 06:23 PM
sooner he goes the better, his best years are well behind him. thanks anway for your services shaun time to move on.

doodledandy
21-06-2010, 06:38 PM

Roy Keane's hardly a wanker mate and knows a bit about defending too, which is why he wants Derry as the no nonsense, get stuck in man.

At 32, Derry is probably looking for his last big pay cheque contract and if Roy Keane can couple that with a reasonable guarantee of a place in the starting line-up, I sure Derry, like any player in his position, would snatch at the opportunity.

He's been a workhorse for palace over his two stints and done his job well, but I cannot see him being a George Burley type of player. Given the brief GB has, Derry will not be offered anything at Palace and will be replaced.

I hope he gets what he's looking for, wherever he goes and I wish him well.

SE25Eagle
21-06-2010, 06:40 PM
sooner he goes the better, his best years are well behind him. thanks anway for your services shaun time to move on.

Well said that (fat) man :p

917L
21-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Roy Keane's hardly a wanker mate .

It matters not what else you post

If you dont think Roy Keane is an utter wanker, you really have no clue

IAN WALSH
21-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Well said that (fat) man :p
much obliged socks:D

King William
21-06-2010, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=doodledandy]Roy Keane's hardly a wanker mate

:eek: :eek: :eek: :(

IAN WALSH
21-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Roy Keane's hardly a wanker mate
id say he's more of a vicious bully and a c unt:p

Jordan's Jacket
21-06-2010, 07:37 PM

He played for Warnock!

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
21-06-2010, 07:45 PM
It matters not what else you post

If you dont think Roy Keane is an utter wanker, you really have no clue

^^^^^^^^^^^^:hmph: :rolleyes:

orp pisshead1
21-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Roy Keane's hardly a wanker mate and knows a bit about defending too, which is why he wants Derry as the no nonsense, get stuck in man.

At 32, Derry is probably looking for his last big pay cheque contract and if Roy Keane can couple that with a reasonable guarantee of a place in the starting line-up, I sure Derry, like any player in his position, would snatch at the opportunity.

He's been a workhorse for palace over his two stints and done his job well, but I cannot see him being a George Burley type of player. Given the brief GB has, Derry will not be offered anything at Palace and will be replaced.

Your right hes hardly a wanker , hes a complete wanker the ****

Shipsisourking
21-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Roy Keane's hardly a wanker mate

he is a wanker, a great big fecking wanker, hes the wankiest wanker in wank town!

The Bishop
21-06-2010, 08:00 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2307662899

:p

CPFC_DAVE77
21-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Roy Keane's hardly a wanker

doodleandy; not only is Roy Keane definitely a wanker; he displayed effortlessly his ability to be a top wanker by playing the majority of his career for the side that literally represent the everyday wanker that trolls the streets of our cities and towns clad in wanker merchandise and expressing views of such colossal wankerism such as 'You don't know what it's like to lose the title to Chelsea'... NO I ******* DON'T AND I DON'T GIVE A SHITE WANKER. MY CLUB NEARLY DIED OWEING 20K TO DERBY ******* COUNTY AND YET YOU OWE 400 MILLION QUID. Wankers.

Moments of Keane's wankerniscity are not hard to spot, Alf Inge Haaland may have something to say in reference to your stance that not only is Keane not a wanker, but he knows a bit about defending, yes; if defending is shatter a man's leg and subsequently his career then he is an expert. If this is not your philosophy, which I would hope not, you will see he is indeed a complete and utter wanker.

For further reference into how much Roy Keane is a wanker, please view the following attached thread which contains years and years of reasons why Man Utd, it's players, 'fans', owners, managers and everything that falls under the bracket of Man U; with the only exception of Sir Steve Coppell are the undefeated world champions of total wankers.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167834

The Bishop
21-06-2010, 08:03 PM
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/miscellaneous/268/why_on_earth_wo.html

Absolutely right :p :D

SE25Eagle
21-06-2010, 09:07 PM
much obliged socks:D

lol

TC EAGLE
22-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Crystal Palace have offered captain Shaun Derry a new contract, despite him having agreed in principle to join QPR and with Ipswich also expressing an interest.
Full story: Daily Mail eek do we believe it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1288465/Crystal-Palace-offer-captain-Shaun-Derry-new-deal-bid-fend-QPR-Ipswich.html

Psychokiller
22-06-2010, 07:17 AM

You're the twat who was banned from HOL for being deliberately and tediously contentious about everything right?

You're like one of those turds that float at the top of the toilet bowl and just won't flush away.

stinky
22-06-2010, 07:21 AM
You're like one of those turds that float at the top of the toilet bowl and just won't flush away.

Of all the shits, this is the most annoying.

Which is why your comparison is spot on

Malakite
22-06-2010, 07:22 AM
the undefeated world champions of total wankers.

:lux:

Owngoal
22-06-2010, 09:17 AM
This seems to be the thread abot should he stay or should he go. Is the paper talk of a new deal in the Mail real or is it the work of an agent to play QPR and Ipswich off against each other?

Really think Derry is not the way forward for us anymore. I don't want to see the match ratings referring to the misplaced passes that were becoming the dominant feature of his game. He has a place in our hearts for his spirit which would be a shame to see ruined, bit like Taylor as a manager for those who did not see him play.

colin88
22-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Roy Keane's such a wanker that he even wanks off his own dogs. If you need proof then here you are:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=2291316971&ref=ts

Latvian
22-06-2010, 09:36 AM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2307662899

:p

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2307662899#!/group.php?gid=2291316971&ref=ts :afro:

it seems Colin88 beat me to it!

The Bishop
22-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Having scoured all the papers at work for transfer news it says in the Daily Mail that Palace have offered Shaun Derry a new contract.

chris888
22-06-2010, 09:48 AM
he is looking to buy houses in knockholt so i think he is staying

KungFuCharlie
22-06-2010, 09:50 AM
How can he sign a new contract if he's already signed a pre-contract with QPR. Makes no legal sense to me.

Kirby
22-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Crystal Palace have offered captain Shaun Derry a new contract, despite him having agreed in principle to join QPR

Ahaha. Going well for Colin then :D :lux:

sunshine lucas
22-06-2010, 09:58 AM
How can he sign a new contract if he's already signed a pre-contract with QPR. Makes no legal sense to me.

it's got something to do with Roy Keane being a w*nker.

The Gerry Queen
22-06-2010, 10:00 AM

Daily Mail (spit) says he has 'agreed a deal in principle' with QPR. He may not have signed a pre contract and only gave a verbal agreement. He is still on th e PFA website as being 'out of contract'.I think that he would like to stay. I would like him to stay, but as a player, not as captain this time. Time for a change and Paddy Mac will be a brilliant captain

Latvian
22-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Dunno about Derry. He was class until the last few months but it might be time to move on.

Makes me feel like a git after his hard work last season but I don't see him improving or re-producing that kind of form. He has had sustained patches of crappy form for us but its tough to overlook how many times he has worn the red n blue.

If he were to hang around, then I would like it to be in a bit-part squad role, teaching N'Diaye or another youngster. So I suppose it comes down to Salary...

gold76
22-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Would be delighted if he stays, an underrated stalwart, we'll miss him if he goes

dufski13
22-06-2010, 01:20 PM
I'd be chuffed if Derry stayed, I doubt there are too many better defensive mid-fielders in the championship.

On the Roy Keane point, he most clearly is a complete w**ker, but more than that he's a cr*p manager to boot.

Beanie
22-06-2010, 02:10 PM
What is a "pre-contract" supposed to be? Something before the contract. If it's not a contract it's not legally binding, if it is a contract can't be "pre..". I'd guess it's a bit like a pre-nuptual agreement, "terms" agreed, but not worth anything until the actual contract is signed. A device invented by football (well, sport at least) so that players aren't all trying to negotiate deals at once.

Will S
22-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Shaun has signed for QPR on a 2 year deal.

Jimmy Eagle
22-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Shaun has signed for QPR on a 2 year deal.

Says who?

nickiverson
22-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Says who?

qpr website

Will S
22-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Says who?

QPR in a press release, I'm afraid.

Benzhiyi
22-06-2010, 02:44 PM
http://www.qpr.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~2076370,00.html

Neil
22-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Buttocks.

Gladys Allover
22-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Gutted

orp pisshead1
22-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Good luck shaun derry thanks for everything:), ps when you read the sunday football section we'll be one of the teams above you not below. Seriously though thanks again for destroying the wednesday midfield and keeping us up:).

Stavros 69
22-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Does this page ever load ?

Dave
22-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Dez Meh.

Mike Douglas
22-06-2010, 02:54 PM
So who is the defensive mid fielder for next season?

PauLo
22-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Do we have any Midfielders left? Carle, Ertl and now Derry gone.

See ya Shaun and thanks for the memories.

Dave
22-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Time for youth, vigour and goals from midfield

kolinkins
22-06-2010, 02:56 PM
shame - but who can begrudge him a final pay day? Best of luck and thanks for everything.

richdeniro
22-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Warnock really has no imagination does he.

Chester
So long Dezza.

stinky
shame - but who can begrudge him a final pay day? Best of luck and thanks for everything.

^^^^

It's been mentioned at the start of the thread that he has a wife and kids to think about. Don't begrudge him the move at all. Palace legend in my eyes, after his near tearful interview after the Weds match.

redandbluebarmy
22-06-2010, 02:59 PM
What is a "pre-contract" supposed to be? Something before the contract. If it's not a contract it's not legally binding, if it is a contract can't be "pre..". I'd guess it's a bit like a pre-nuptual agreement, "terms" agreed, but not worth anything until the actual contract is signed. A device invented by football (well, sport at least) so that players aren't all trying to negotiate deals at once.

A pre contract has everything the contract has in but you dont sign it. Much like when you buy a car. It is a legal requirement. When signing a contract you must acknowledge recieving a pre-contract.

andyocpfc
22-06-2010, 03:01 PM
I have mixed feelings.

I'm not so gutted we have lost Shaun as a player as his best years are behind him and we had him for most of those years. I'm gutted 'cos he has gone to QPR especially after what it appeared Palace meant to him last season.

Still, he is a footballer with a family and family must come first i guess.

I would by far prefer to lose Shaun that Darren that is for sure.

RednBlue
Good luck Shaun and thanks for everything.

ardeo
We'll miss him but have no problem with him leaving for the security that QPR will offer him. He's done a lot for the club and did a great job as captain (most of the time).

FraserH
22-06-2010, 03:02 PM
i expect to see something similar for ambrose :(

thanks for everything dezza!

ambrose please stay :(

Gladalloverrob
22-06-2010, 03:02 PM
He's done well for us and that, but last season he went missing on the pitch at times, it's time for a new era at Selhurst and I'm afraid at 32 Derry isn't part of it, yes we need experience, but I don't think a 32 year old is the experience we after, more likely Ambrose, Danns, Mccarthy and anyone else you'd like to mention.

Henfield Eagle
22-06-2010, 03:03 PM
We'll miss him but have no problem with him leaving for the security that QPR will offer him. He's done a lot for the club and did a great job as captain (most of the time).
DITTO:p

Woodford Eagle
22-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Even though I would have liked him to stay I am looking forward to seeing what GB can do to improve our midfield. I think he will look for players with better pasing, ball retention and vision. Derry is good at what he does and I applaud him for his commitment last season but it would be nice to try and find someone to hold the midfield who has a bit more ability with the ball at his feet.
Anyways good luck Dezza - but obv not against us!

Big Blue Eagle
On Ambrose - check out DaveP in the Ambrose thread - rumours of a new extended contract for him that he is intending to sign.

Ref Derry - no hard feelings, two good spells with us (was not treated great the first time so fair play to him for coming back) and a very good captain last season. If I was a Soopah-Hoop I would be puzzled at best by Warnock's signings. Charity says he is building one side to get out of the CCC next season knowing that he will have to dismantle it if they get promoted. But I am unconvinced that Derry, Hill, Kenny etc are the sort of signings that WILL get the out of the CCC.

whereEaglesFly
I remember he said on the fyp podcast, no matter what club he is at next season he wants us to become great... Or something along those lines

LeeH
22-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Cheers Shaun - now let's get some exciting talent in midfield to replace him, George :p

Beanie
22-06-2010, 03:08 PM
i expect to see something similar for ambrose :(

thanks for everything dezza!

ambrose please stay :(
Derry had the right to go, Ambrose doesn't. I really think if he'd been going he'd have gone by now. On the other hand both Burley and Parish said they only want players who want to be at Palace, so if he says he wants to go he'll go - but how long does it take him to say he wants to leave?

EagleSE24
Time for Alison N'Diaye to step up and become the new Viera.

cpfcfan1
I hope Burley ditches the idea of a defensive mid, at home more so.

Best of luck Shaun

Cuddles
22-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Time for a big shake up in midfield. Hope GB has some prospects in mind.

palace64
So who is the defensive mid fielder for next season?

leaves ali & alex wynter

GreatGonzo
Do we have any Midfielders left? Carle, Ertl and now Derry gone.

See ya Shaun and thanks for the memories.

Leaves Danns, N'Diaye and Ambrose so we are not exactly short, probably do with 1 more ideally though but Butterfield could also play there.

EagleSE24
22-06-2010, 03:11 PM
I hope Burley ditches the idea of a defensive mid, at home more so.

Best of luck Shaun

Perhaps the most important position in the team imo.

Jimmy Eagle
22-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Haha, brilliant. Goes for our 20 goals a season midfielder, ends up with 45 year old (although a battler) past it midfielder. Looking good Mr Warnock.

ExiledStirling
22-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Cheers Shaun for all you have done for Palace and for being such a major part in the great team spirit and never say die approach at the end of last season.

You deserve a good final payday in what I presume will be your last season.

All the best

cpfcfan1
22-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Perhaps the most important position in the team imo.

Not saying all together, but its possible to play decent football without a defensive mid, two decent attacking midfielders would be nice to see now and again like Danns and Ambrose in the middle

doodledandy
he is a wanker, a great big fecking wanker, hes the wankiest wanker in wank town!
Pretty immature comment, to say rthe least.

Fever Pitch
He was on 10k a week at Palace, the bloke was hardly on the breadline. Still saves funds up for hungry, young players.

RDSdaEAGLE
I will never forget his post-match interview after the Sheffield Wednesday match - his attitude in the last few weeks of the season really pushed us on.

Enjoy the last few years of your career at QPR, Shaun.

kolinkins
22-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Not saying all together, but its possible to play decent football without a defensive mid, two decent attacking midfielders would be nice to see now and again like Danns and Ambrose in the middle

And how would we get the ball to give to the attacking players?

RDSdaEAGLE
22-06-2010, 03:15 PM
He was on 10k a week at Palace, the bloke was hardly on the breadline. Still saves funds up for hungry, young players.

And (from what Steve Parish has suggested) players are being offered double their money to sign for QPR.

I can't imagine them paying 20k-per-week for Derry, but then it is QPR...

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
22-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Pretty immature comment, to say rthe least.

Immature?......possibly, unambiguous definitely.

RDSdaEAGLE
22-06-2010, 03:18 PM

I don't think that kind of system works - look at Lampard and Gerrard for England - they make similar runs into similar areas, often getting in each other's ways.

You need someone to sit back, or you'll end up with a huge gap between the midfield and defence.

silverymoon
22-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Sorry that he has left us. Mr 100%. Good luck at QPR I dont blame you leaving. As much as I would have liked Shaun to have stayed for a further year. We have see the best of him and he is only going to get slower. What we now need it the new younger fitter up and coming Shaun.

pumaspalace
Shame he went to QPR, but we can replace him.

cpfcfan1
A good point just saying would just like to see it given a try

doodledandy
22-06-2010, 03:20 PM
You're the twat who was banned from HOL for being deliberately and tediously contentious about everything right?

Wrong.....I am not that person, as I have explained before. And if you need to see the turd that floats around the toilet, then just take a look in a mirror.

zuper zalace
22-06-2010, 03:20 PM
i'd much ratehr keep ambrose. derry was poor once warnock left so not such a bad thing. we have to look elsewhere and it should free up a decent wage

CPFC_DAVE77
22-06-2010, 03:21 PM
doodleandy; not only is Roy Keane definitely a wanker; he displayed effortlessly his ability to be a top wanker by playing the majority of his career for the side that literally represent the everyday wanker that trolls the streets of our cities and towns clad in wanker merchandise and expressing views of such colossal wankerism such as 'You don't know what it's like to lose the title to Chelsea'... NO I ******* DON'T AND I DON'T GIVE A SHITE WANKER. MY CLUB NEARLY DIED OWEING 20K TO DERBY ******* COUNTY AND YET YOU OWE 400 MILLION QUID. Wankers.

Moments of Keane's wankerniscity are not hard to spot, Alf Inge Haaland may have something to say in reference to your stance that not only is Keane not a wanker, but he knows a bit about defending, yes; if defending is shatter a man's leg and subsequently his career then he is an expert. If this is not your philosophy, which I would hope not, you will see he is indeed a complete and utter wanker.

For further reference into how much Roy Keane is a wanker, please view the following attached thread which contains years and years of reasons why Man Utd, it's players, 'fans', owners, managers and everything that falls under the bracket of Man U; with the only exception of Sir Steve Coppell are the undefeated world champions of total wankers.

He neg repped me for this. What a gimp!

:clown:

doodledandy
22-06-2010, 03:24 PM
A pre-contract is not legally binding and just a letter of intent which protects the offer made to him. It does not commit him contractually.

TheCharmer
22-06-2010, 03:26 PM
high earner who s probably past his best. Not the worst piece of business by Palace, but in his quote he s talking about 'we and us' when referring to QPR a bit quickly!

How many more will go there? 2?

doodledandy
22-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Dunno about Derry. He was class until the last few months but it might be time to move on.

Makes me feel like a git after his hard work last season but I don't see him improving or re-producing that kind of form. He has had sustained patches of crappy form for us but its tough to overlook how many times he has worn the red n blue.

If he were to hang around, then I would like it to be in a bit-part squad role, teaching N'Diaye or another youngster. So I suppose it comes down to Salary...
I think you have it in a nut shell. Like so many players, you have to be forward looking, because what he's achieved in the past, doesn't go on forever and as you say, there are already signs of "crappy form". Maybe it's time for a change for club and player, although I would like to thank him for everything he's given to the club and wish him well.

NRM the 2nd
22-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Wonder whether this will have any effect on Ambrose's decision?

doodledandy
22-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Like being a little bit pregnant I suppose! :)

eagle101
22-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Meh.

Good luck Shaun.

doodledandy
http://www.qpr.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~2076370,00.html
That's Warnock doing his thing again. All he's confirming in that statement is that Derry has agreed terms and there is still no contract!

917L
Thank you Shaun

rhynoeagle
QPR boss Neil Warnock says he is moving on to other targets as his pursuit of Crystal Palace star Darren Ambrose continues to hang in the balance.

Derry ? hahah. Warnock is pathetic, thank God he wasnt given a big transfer kitty at palace.

Derry, Hill, Mackie, Clarke, Kenny. Dear oh Dear.

Thanks for the commitment Derry.

TheCharmer
22-06-2010, 03:39 PM
has hill officially signed for QPR?

cpfcfan1
22-06-2010, 03:40 PM
No but has agreed a pre contract agreement

adrenalin john
22-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I can only wish hime very well and hope he gets a massive pay day.

As big hearted a player as he is he can also be divisive, and his basic football ability is, well basic.

A decent championship player with any improvement and his future quite some way in the past.

If I am honest I was much more concerned about losing Ertl, Derry is old, can't pass and very expensive.

I remain v.grateful for last season though, he was a hero at times.

milky87
22-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Absolutely Gutted.

God luck Derry you are and always will be a Legend

doodledandy
22-06-2010, 03:41 PM
And how would we get the ball to give to the attacking players?
As one door closes, another opens and George Burley hasn't even started his recruitment yet.

unsensibleLiam
22-06-2010, 03:42 PM
2 year deal for an aging midfielder?

I wish Shaun Derry well, Warnock can poo off though.

dufski13
22-06-2010, 03:43 PM
gutted, good luck Derry. Key to us these last couple of years, & we will sorely miss him. Here's hoping GB has got a decent replacement in mind.

paulws
22-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Absolutely Gutted.

God luck Derry you are and always will be a Legend

Classic case of overworking the word "legend", but he was a great servant, granted, and seemed genuine after Hillsbrough

SilverChevy
22-06-2010, 03:46 PM
gutted good lk sean

cpfcfan124
22-06-2010, 03:47 PM
My uncle spoke to him a few weeks ago and sed he was definetly going to Barnsley so things have changed than :(

Son of Ron
22-06-2010, 03:48 PM
I'd be right pissed off as a QPR fan with the financial backing they've supposedly got compared to the quality / age of player they're signing.

Anyway, thanks Shaun, for Sunderland, Cardiff, Sheff Wed among others - good, honest, solid pro; and a decent lad to boot from what I've heard, but hardly going to shed tears over his departure.

doodledandy
22-06-2010, 03:49 PM
high earner who s probably past his best. Not the worst piece of business by Palace, but in his quote he s talking about 'we and us' when referring to QPR a bit quickly!

How many more will go there? 2?

Fast becoming the Palace yesterday team. I think Neil Warnock is doing Palace a favour by taking these worn out, high wage players and opening the door for new, cheaper, younger, enthusiastic and dedicated playes to shine for seasons to come. Thanks Neil, you're the man!

JamTheEagle
22-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Good luck Shaun, thanks for all your efforts :lux:.

cdm61
22-06-2010, 03:52 PM

As big hearted a player as he is he can also be divisive, and his basic football ability is, well basic.

A decent championship player with any improvement and his future quite some way in the past.

If I am honest I was much more concerned about losing Ertl, Derry is old, can't pass and very expensive.

Spot on I'd like to add - gave the ball away far too many times - but thanks Dezza

SJ'sLoveMonkey
22-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Cheers Shaun your commitment in that final month of the season will not be forgotten

KungFuCharlie
22-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks Shaun.

I thought he looked off the pace last season. He's clearly a very positive influence in the dressing room, but didn't always bring what's needed on the pitch.

Was probably the right time for him to move on, just a shame he had to go to QPR.

GreatGonzo
22-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Always remember someone writing about Derry in a post in reply to an away fan asking about an up coming game:

'As likely to set you through on goal for teh winner as he is us.'

Which tended to be true last season.

limited_edition
22-06-2010, 03:57 PM
A real shame. Cheers for being a great capt, Dezza. Typical lack of imagination by Colin when it comes to QPR signings.

silverymoon
22-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Wonder if Warnock wants Lawrence ? Could give him a 2 year contract and a pay rise. He will only be 45 at the end of the deal. If I was a QPR fan I would be well pissed off with the quality of players that he is bringing in.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
22-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I am surprised he hasn't bid for Michael Tonge and Chris Morgan yet

PeterH
22-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Ha Ha. They have ambition.

GreatGonzo
22-06-2010, 04:02 PM
I am surprised he hasn't bid for Michael Tonge and Chris Morgan yet

How do you know he hasn't? ;)

Aman907
Wonder if Warnock wants Lawrence ? Could give him a 2 year contract and a pay rise. He will only be 45 at the end of the deal. If I was a QPR fan I would be well pissed off with the quality of players that he is bringing in.

i agree with you 100% - :p

cpfcfan1
To be fair Jamie mackie was not a bad signing, thats about it though

SJ'sLoveMonkey
22-06-2010, 04:03 PM
How do you know he hasn't? ;)

I don't and as i said it wouldn't surprise me if he has :p

The Gerry Queen
22-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Will never forget his performance at Hillsborough.

Good luck. Pity he had to go to QPR though. Can't see him being a regular but will give them additional stength with their squad and a 2 year contract will take him to retirement..... probably just after Neil Warnock's :)

Now we know he has gone I am kind of relieved. It's time for a completely fresh start at Palace. New owners, new manager and a new captain...Paddy Mac please !

PeterH
22-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Can we get Watson back?

Absolution
22-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Good luck Derry!

Not sure you would have got a two year deal with us. Probably has got a massive pay rise as well.

He was outstanding at the end of the season, although he was lacking a bit in the early stages. Not sure how QPR fans will react to him.

Excowboy
22-06-2010, 04:07 PM
A great captain who worked his arse off for the club and provided the team with enormous passion and determination.

Was key for us in getting his foot in and breaking up opponents attacks, but as with many in his position was lacking in passing ability, and sometimes left us exposed by playing too high up the pitch when we had the ball.

We now need a new captain and a new tackling midfielder. Hopefully Burley can find a midfielder even better than Dezza that suits his style, and I think McCarthy is a good candidate for captain.

This is probably a good move for us and Derry. He was a Warnock player and may not have held onto the captaincy - we now have a chance for a new captain with the new manager and Derry can try to hold a position with a Manager he gets on with.

As for QPR, for a team that's favourite to win the league, I'm not convinced signing a player like Derry will do much to achieve those ambitions. We shall see.

Oh south london
22-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Meh sums it up. Not really too bothered.

Oh south london
22-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Also why is Warnock signing journeymen? Does he not have a big budget at QPR?

Gooders
22-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Well, we had him for his best years.

Thanks for all your efforts Dezza.

I'm not going to wish you luck - I think the Pooperhoops are completely the wrong club for you - chinless wonders. No doubt you've been brought in to try to toughen them up a bit but it ain't going to happen.

The boo's will be ringing out long before Christmas, I think.

limited_edition
22-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Wonder if Warnock wants Lawrence ? Could give him a 2 year contract and a pay rise. He will only be 45 at the end of the deal.Please God, let this happen. :D

kolinkins
Also why is Warnock signing journeymen? Does he not have a big budget at QPR?

clearly not, otherwise Derry and Clarke would not be their sort of signings.

BGT Palace

Good post. Thought he did well last season and very passionate - but if he wasn't committed to staying then at least he's off the wage bill and can pave the way for cheaper, younger talent.
Typical Warnock though, also seem to remember him referring to Derry and saying something about 'that's the sort of quality we want on our bench' so can only assume he will be a bit part squad player and had his eyes set on one last big pay day.

Good luck at that s*** club

John C
22-06-2010, 04:13 PM
That means both our holding midfield players have gone - Brasil play with two holding midfield players - does this mean we will never be like Brasil?

Trilby
Certainly leaves with his head held high this time around. All the best Shaun - a great captain and a very nice bloke.

El Aguila
Good luck, Shaun. Thanks for everything - and everything was really quite a lot, including a great performance in the play off final and a titanic effort last season.

Will S
22-06-2010, 04:14 PM
He's been brilliant for us - particularly last season. What he brought to the dressing room and the club as a whole, particularly after NW's departure was immense. He's a hero of the administration in the same way as Dean Austin, Fan Zihiyi and Andy Linighan etc a decade ago. Shaun deserves a huge reception when he returns.

As for QPR - it's an interesting choice. Presumably, as he says, Warnock and the shot at a promotion winning season was the attraction. The irony, is if they win promotion, I shouldn't think he'll see much action in the second year of his contract.

His leadership will be missed - but as others have said, we've still got McCarthy (always assuming Rangers don't fancy him too!)

kolinkins
22-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Yep - he played 2 massive finals for us - Cardiff and Hillsborough, and he was close to MOM both times. Big game player we will miss.

limited_edition
Also why is Warnock signing journeymen? Does he not have a big budget at QPR?He's not great with big money anyway. Carle (good player, but he just didn't have the tactical nous to use him correctly) and Akinbiyi spring to mind.

Palestinian
Cheers Shaun for all you have done for Palace and for being such a major part in the great team spirit and never say die approach at the end of last season.

You deserve a good final payday in what I presume will be your last season.

All the best
^^

Chris K
22-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Cheers for everything Shaun. But to be horribly honest if it were down to a choice between Ambrose, Derry, Danns and Speroni then there's one who I think is easily replacable.

Psychokiller
22-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Ah well, frees up more money in the pot for GB to sign his kind of players and put his stamp on the team.

CaptainCharisma
22-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Wonderful, my favourite player has left. And of the guys out of contract, two of the ones i was desperate to have stay, Derry and Ertl, have both gone. Great.

GreatGonzo
22-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Ah well, frees up more money in the pot for GB to sign his kind of players and put his stamp on the team.

Indeed but also puts a lot of pressure on Burley.

Most of teh squad we have next year will now be selected by him, he has the opportunity to raise about 1m+ to spend on his squad if he chooses to sell Ambrose. He has also been told any other sales he makes he can reinvest with interest in Speroni, Danns and Clyne if reports are to be believed.

The next few weeks will be interesting but the embargo will not be lifted until mid July will it not when the league next meet. It really doesn't offer much time.

MFC
22-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Dont care if he has left under burley he will pull out some great signing for palace looking foward to next season just cant wait.

bern5161
22-06-2010, 04:25 PM
good luck shaun.

Bobsta
22-06-2010, 04:26 PM
If I'm being brutally honest I think we could do better in the middle I know he's a lovely bloke and a good leader but new start new captain good times ahead!

philsick
22-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Good luck to derry,his passion towards the end of the season and especially at hillsborough,were a big part of us surviving.

But football wise,this is not a bad thing IMO.He struggled for alot of the season and his best days are behind him.God knows what QPR fans will be thinking by about november with these signings.I bet they thought they would be getting Danns,ambrose speroni and clyne,but got derry and hill LOLWarnock has no real vision..

Cuddles
22-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Players come and players go, but Palace goes on (hopefully) forever :)

It was emotional Shaun. Best of luck with your new club and thanks :p

Halfwayline
22-06-2010, 04:30 PM
A great Captain. Good luck at QPR.

nelson alfie
22-06-2010, 04:36 PM
1) :( that he's gone

2) QPR/Warnock is like a lingering smell trying to spoil our summer.:grrr:

3) Good luck to Derry but better luck to Burley in rebuilding our midfield:)

cpfcben
22-06-2010, 04:37 PM
The term legend maybe over used but not in this case. He held the team together on his own last season after warnock jumped ship. His leadership and passion should never be forgotten.

Was it the right time to go, probably yes. Despite being offered a new deal by palace he has got a nice pay day in the sun a bit like Colin really. As you are joining colin I can't wish you good luck but just a thanks for the memories. A true palace legend

Shipp Ahoy!
22-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks Shaun.

However looking forward to seeing a midfield of players who can actually pass the ball 5 yards without finding an opponent.

Shipp Ahoy!
22-06-2010, 04:44 PM
The term legend maybe over used but not in this case. He held the team together on his own last season after warnock jumped ship. His leadership and passion should never be forgotten.

Was it the right time to go, probably yes. Despite being offered a new deal by palace he has got a nice pay day in the sun a bit like Colin really. As you are joining colin I can't wish you good luck but just a thanks for the memories. A true palace legend

Sorry but that is rubbish.

He held team together? Where is the evidence for this?

Shipp Ahoy!
22-06-2010, 04:46 PM
A great Captain. Good luck at QPR.

Again really a great captain?

Fair enough he gave 100% but he was an over the top type tackler and cost the team several times. Will never forget seeing him being helped out of Tiger Tiger having fallen down the stairs blinding drunk, not the best example.

Budgie Byrne
22-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Thank you Shaun two spells at the club that will be remembered for a long time to come. The play-off final was as huge a contribution as your last game for us at Hillsborough. Off the pitch contribution with the aid of your partner in crime Mr Butterfield has also made been a big positive when the squad needed a lift.
Thank you and have fun at QPR, they are very lucky to have you !!!!!

Ian Hart
22-06-2010, 04:51 PM
He put in a great shift for us, but to be honest age was catching up with him a bit and he was becoming a little less consistent each season - his good performances in the last two matches were preceded by about 2 months of some very below par displays where a number of people on here were calling for him to be dropped. It's a good move for him (financially at least) but also a pretty good move for Palace. I wish him well.

Burley now will need to give some priority to finding someone decent in the holding midfielder role. With Ertl and Derry now gone, along with Comley (who had seemed the most likely youngster to carry out the role, if he progressed) it might well turn out to be his most important signing. Even attacking teams ensure they have a player of this nature in their side to allow the other midfielders to be able to get forward

xkellie
22-06-2010, 04:52 PM
good luck shaun. luvs you xxxx

jams1234
Leaves Danns, N'Diaye and Ambrose so we are not exactly short, probably do with 1 more ideally though but Butterfield could also play there.
Ambrose has had the best season of his career on the wing and you still claim he is a central midfielder?

Yes he can play there, but no more is it his best position than is it Butterfield's best position.

It is a position which needs strengthening, much like others in our team.

IanH
I assume he has gone for the money and one final big season - he wouldn't get to play for them if they went up. A good honest pro, but it looked like his legs had gone in some of the games towards the end of last season. I don't think Derry is a signing I would be making if I was trying to take a team up next year. Good luck to him though.

Nelson Muntz
22-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Dezza upset the Hull fans.
Go to the bit where he rejoins Palace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Derry

Neil 154
22-06-2010, 04:55 PM
No hard feelings Shaun. Obviously you could have chosen a better team to join, but you are still a Palace legend.

GreatGonzo
22-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Ambrose has had the best season of his career on the wing and you still claim he is a central midfielder?

Yes he can play there, but no more is it his best position than is it Butterfield's best position.

It is a position which needs strengthening, much like others in our team.

Look where those runs were though, they were not from the touchline they were central. We lacked an awful lot of width playing him in the 'wide' position because he played so narrow. He also left the full back heavily exposed. When he played in the midfield 3 he patrolled the centre of the pitch so IMO yes he is a central midfielder.

David Amsalem
22-06-2010, 05:19 PM
This is good for Palace. He did a fantastic job as captain and he is obviously influencial but his footballing ability left a lot to be desired at times last season. I suspect my opinion won't be a popular one but for a player who was all about breaking up play and keeping it simple, his tackling and especially his passing were often poor.

He'll get a clap from me at Selhurst next season. In fact, I quite fancy our chances against a team with an older Derry and Hill starting.

hoskingt
22-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Big shame.