PDA

View Full Version : Keeping hold of current squad?

a9lpc
01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Following the events of today, i think we have a pretty good understanding of the intent of the CPFC 2010 consortium and their desire to keep the current bunch of players today. The ambrose deal looks to be on hold for now.. and what about Jules? Julian is apparently escaping it all in sunny Argentina, surely this is only all much needed positive news we have been scraping around to find over the past 2 weeks.

Gooders
01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
If the new owners decide that some of the players are beyond our means and need to move on then so be it - I'll hate it but I'll understand it.

At least we should be able to get a proper price for the more marketable of them now.

Shipp Ahoy!
01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
So glad it looks like we will keep Jules though :lux:

But the best news for all this is that the transfers would be on OUR terms, not peanuts as per the 750k bid for Ambrose.

Shipsisourking
01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Jensen (the kid) said that he had spoken to jules a couple of weeks ago, before he flew back to argentina for a break and he didnt expect him back for a few weeks, i reckon he went into a bin laden type cave so he wasnt sold.

mapcontractor
01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
I think QPR will comeback with an improved offer for Ambrose. An offer around the 1.2 million mark would be a fair offer and will probably tempt CPFC2010 to sell.

SEEPEEEFFSEE
01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
I think QPR will comeback with an improved offer for Ambrose. An offer around the 1.2 million mark would be a fair offer and will probably tempt CPFC2010 to sell.

1.2 million a fair offer? Are you serious? 20 goals in a season at this level is worth at least double that if not more!

rainbow_child
01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
1.2 million a fair offer? Are you serious? 20 goals in a season at this level is worth at least double that if not more!

Is the correct answer and he's only 26 isn't he?

GodstoneEagle
01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Keep Speroni and Danns and we will be fine next season. If Ambrose were to go along with Carle (already gone), Hill and possibly Derry that makes a huge dent in the wage bill. Then re-sign Ertl and co.

SEEPEEEFFSEE
01-06-2010, 06:12 PM
If I was 2010, Id start slapping the kind of price tags on our players that the likes of Arsenal have payed for players like Aaron Ramsey etc.
This consortium need to stop Palace from being taken as mugs in the future.

Jasper
01-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Obviously the main concern at the moment is just keeping the club alive, but if you look at things from a footballing perspective we have a decent side and would only need a couple of players to make a promotion push. (Look back 6 months before Moses and Fonte left).
Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, still aren't out of the woods yet.

Seaside Eagle
01-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Can we hold on to the players we have at the moment, or will some need to be sold to raise money? Do we have enough money to last us until the start of the season?

Also, are we in a position to look at bringing in new players, either on loan or on free's? Our squad is looking threadbare at the moment, and if we want to stay up next season, we must look to add to the key areas.

Jason
01-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Keep Speroni and Danns and we will be fine next season. If Ambrose were to go along with Carle (already gone), Hill and possibly Derry that makes a huge dent in the wage bill. Then re-sign Ertl and co.

If BGs estimate of an annual cash burn of 2.2m (assuming no debt interest or rent) are accurate, then this is about right. Warnock and his cronies probably cost us 1m, with close to the same again for Ambrose and Carle combined. Derry, Hill, John and Flahavan (not a high earner but every little helps!) probably take close to another 1m off the wage bill between them.

That leaves us with 800k in the pot for a manager, along with a free transafer left back and striker, and we could still break even. The remaining squad would be reasonably competitive in this League too

JamTheEagle
01-06-2010, 06:31 PM

Erm, I think something of 4-5m upwards might but certainly not 1.2m - that's hardly an improved offer.

cockles
01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Get Ertl signed up please - top priority.

I can see us losing Derry and Hill - players of no resale value, but replacing them with younger players with potential. (N'Diaiye here already of course)

We are clearly going to hang on to Ambrose unless QPR pay a real fee (2m plus imo).

Jensen is pretty much telling us that Jules has been protected from sale, so he stays too. (Again unless real money is bid - 3m imo)

As said, Carle is gone - so him plus Derry & Hill should save about 20k/week before replacements are factored.

Lee Hills could be a good LB but we'll still need at least a lone player to play there from August.

Gooders
He has 1 year left on his contract and therefore the price would reflect that.

andy m
Ambrose has realistically had one good season in the last five or six and his age means he's about as good now as he's ever going to be. I'm not saying we should bite someone's arm off for just over a million quid, but anything significantly more is seriously unlikely.

foxinthebox
01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Erm, I think something of 4-5m upwards might but certainly not 1.2m - that's hardly an improved offer.

1.5-2.5 would seem probable for a player we got on a free last summer

he has played at the top flight before and not set it alight, the unknown with walcott, ramsey etc probably adds to their value.

anyway, rather he stayed and danns went to be honest. we dnt have many goals in our strikers and ambrose got us so many wins this season.

danns actions against wba still rankle a bit too

JamTheEagle
01-06-2010, 06:45 PM
True, but still for 1.5-2.5m we do not need to sell him, only way I can see that is if they go over the odds - which lets face it, Warnock will not.

andy m
01-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Again, I think for 1.5-2.5m and the reduction in the wage bill his sale would bring, we probably DO have to sell him.

Absolution
01-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Whatever we do it has to be sustainable, we have gaps in the squad that would need to be improved, and probably a number of higher earners that would need to be addressed.

The Consortium seem sensible, hopefully they know what they are doing.

a9lpc
01-06-2010, 07:01 PM
are we resigned to losing Derry too? would of thought they would want to keep hold of the club captain?

cockles
01-06-2010, 07:41 PM
are we resigned to losing Derry too? would of thought they would want to keep hold of the club captain?

He'd probably be offered a 1-year deal and a wage cut. I expect Colin and others will offer better. Was even a rumour that the neanderthal in Ipswich was interested in him too.

Ridcully
01-06-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm pretty certain Ambrose will go but the key difference is that CPFC2010 will get the cash rather than CPFC2000 (In Administration). I'd like to think we'd get upwards of 1m which as a return for a player with only a year left on their contract and acquired for nothing would be extremely good business. I just hope for Darrens sake its a Prem club willing to take a chance rather than QPR, not because of Warnock but because he is better than that.

Stavros 69
01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Ambrose will go and I think Derry will want one more pay day. I think we'll keep jules. Danns is 50/50.

CPFC_DAVE77
01-06-2010, 08:29 PM
If you told me we would start next season with Jules, Danns, Ertl, Clyne, Paddy Mac and Danny B. Cold beers, a lick of paint, some decent (affordable) free signings a few more youngsters blooded, I would be delighted. I guess what I'm saying is if Hill, Derry and Ambrose are sold/leave and the wage bill is reduced, i'd be more than happy :)

CPFC_R_GREAT
01-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I know there is another thread already dedicated to all of this, but shouldn't getting a manager be the first job...that's going to be a much greater factor on which players go/maybe come?

Or at least I would hope that is the case!

Beanie
01-06-2010, 08:41 PM
True, but still for 1.5-2.5m we do not need to sell him, only way I can see that is if they go over the odds - which lets face it, Warnock will not.
How do you know we wouldn't need to sell him? It is probable that this revised deal for the ground will come at a price, 2010 have already said that due to advance season ticket sales breaking even will be tough for the next three years. That 2m (split the difference) could be vital.

Can we just be grateful that it seems we will have a club to watch in the future and not get too stressed about who we have to sell to make it possible. A couple of seasons of mid-table obscurity and financial stabilisation would be great. Anything more a real bonus.

Jim Cannon
01-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Think Beanie is spot on. A couple of "boring" seasons ahead is a small price to pay. Then business as usual promotion followed by relegation LOL

spt1978
01-06-2010, 08:53 PM
If the straegy was:

Out: all high earners
In: Good, young lower league players

I would have no problem with this at all. Infact, dont care what the strayegy is as we still have a club.

elgin eagle
01-06-2010, 08:56 PM
After todays events I can put my hand on my heart and say i never want to go through a day like that again.

To that end, I would hope that the new consortium talk to Brenda and get an accountants experienced view about how much they can afford to pay a championship squad without going into debt again in the future. Obviously income streams will hopefully rise in a lot of areas like marketing and catering, and hopefully more fans will return on the back of sensible ownership, which will all boost the IN pile. Promotion or relegation would obviously require a rethink, but we need an affordable wage structure from day one imho.

I would hope they are able to persuade the squad to accept wage reductions, with bonuses awarded instead for finishing as high up the table as possible, dividing the bonus pot up. This would mean the squad could be kept together and possibly even strengthened.

gold76
01-06-2010, 09:05 PM
I was resigned to the fact that Ambrose, Speroni, Danns & Clyne would go.
They still could, espicially those with a year left.

In this time of prudence, we may not be able to offer them as much as the previous regime.

That they seem content, perhaps a gamble on keeping them for this season in the hope that a run for the play offs could be achieved, with the risk that we could lose them for nowt at the end of the season?

CPFC_R_GREAT
02-06-2010, 09:07 AM
...perhaps a gamble on keeping them for this season in the hope that a run for the play offs could be achieved...

I'm worried that this is the kind of thought that got us where we are in the first place. No more gambling, just play what we can afford to pay!