PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Smith[Suggestion]

jams1234
03-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Now I know that CPFC2010 haven't even taken over the club yet, and it could still be a few weeks away, and that we haven't got a new manager and don't want to be splashing out to get into this situation again but I'd like to suggest Tommy Smith of Portsmouth as a potential transfer target.

Rangers have just had a 300k bid rejected, and because of Portsmouth's dire financial straits the price would be between 300k-600k, probably. Of course, if Rangers decide to up their bid we can't possibly compete but he's an excellent Championship winger(something we haven't had for ages), and if Rangers don't, I don't see why it's not worth a try.

Seaside Eagle
03-06-2010, 07:29 PM
I would agree with this. An excellent player at Championship level; but I can't see him joining us, because the fee he would command would probably reach 1m +.

Woodford Eagle
03-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Would love to see him at palace but I would guess his salary would be to
high. Great championship player though

philsick
03-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Bit old,might have lost some of his pace,but if he can regain his liverpool form, could be worth a shout

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_01/TommySmith_468x608.jpg

Woosie
03-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Wages is the problem. Especially if CPFC 2010 are going to be strict on wages.

Aaroncpfc
03-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Based on his performances alone from the 2008/09 season he'd be excellent. Ebanks-Blake and Doyle aside he was probably the best player in this division and he was stuck at a mid-table team. Wages are the only problem though.

rainbow_child
03-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Wages!! :hi:

sydnsteve
04-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Would need too much in wages. Nice shout if we were rich

Psychokiller
04-06-2010, 07:47 AM
He's probably on a 5 figure weekly salary. Get real!

CPFC_DAVE77
04-06-2010, 07:58 AM

Agreed, will be 10 clubs minimum in our division can offer him more (financially) than we will even if the take over goes through.

Selhurst Guy
04-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Would be nice but we have no chance in competing with Rangers on the wages front.

colin w@nker
04-06-2010, 08:18 AM

all palace players will be on 5 figure salries next year, top earners can expect to pull in upwards of 250.00 per week

good times!

Ralph
04-06-2010, 08:30 AM
In a way I'd be more concerned if we did start trying to compete with the likes of Rangers for wages. I'm so paranoid now about this club that I dont want to see the board splashing the cash - I want them saving it to keep the club running.

spt1978
04-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Fee would be too high for his age and wages too expensive. No thanks

Would rather take a punt on someone like Jordan Roades, at least he would have a sell on value.

elgin eagle
04-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Would prefer Hines from west ham. Much pacier, on a free, and much less wages.

Aaroncpfc
04-06-2010, 09:19 AM
RE: Jordan Rhodes suggestion.

I'm not too comfortable with signing lower league strikers. I think Goalkeepers are a good gamble because i'd rather have a Kieron Westwood if it means taking a Dimitri Konstapopoulos first. The same with wide players, i'd rather have Ryan Jarvis and Michael Kightly if it means signing Michael McIndoe and Jermaine Johnson first. But upfront that gamble as such doesn't seem to work.

Four seasons ago people were calling for the likes of Luke Varney, Izale McLeod, Adam Boyd and a host of other League One and League Two strikers who we believed would have had a sell on value and would probably still be in our price range even now. Other than Nicky Maynard, who I believed cost Bristol City well over what we can afford now anyway, none of those gambles seem to have worked - if anything there value has decreased. Its extremely hard to find somebody like a Billy Sharp who can score at this level without them scoring 20+ goals in another division anyway, and once they do that they can demand wages probably out of there reach.

Overseas is probably the best way of finding a striker as many other teams have found - Barnsley went to Malta and found Daniel Bogdanovic, who's made the other shite signings upfront for them seem worth the gamble.

stinky
04-06-2010, 10:26 AM
I've got a suggestion.

Let's wait until we've got new owners and a manager in place before starting all the suggestions.

But that's just a suggestion.

Pubface
04-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Now I know that CPFC2010 haven't even taken over the club yet, and it could still be a few weeks away, and that we haven't got a new manager and don't want to be splashing out to get into this situation again but I'd like to suggest Tommy Smith of Portsmouth as a potential transfer target.

Rangers have just had a 300k bid rejected, and because of Portsmouth's dire financial straits the price would be between 300k-600k, probably. Of course, if Rangers decide to up their bid we can't possibly compete but he's an excellent Championship winger(something we haven't had for ages), and if Rangers don't, I don't see why it's not worth a try.

Without being to negative but by putting in a bid similar to Rangers are we not then going against the abuse we have given to QPR who are taking the piss over Ambrose cost! Double standards me thinks!

colin w@nker
04-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Without being to negative but by putting in a bid similar to Rangers are we not then going against the abuse we have given to QPR who are taking the piss over Ambrose cost! Double standards me thinks!

careful pubface, i've been loitering on this board for two days now looking for signs of common sense and maturity and your begining to stand out like a sore thumb

quick, edit your post with a few qphahaha or little willy digs before they realise your even minded and heaven forbid....educated!!

;)

Pubface
04-06-2010, 07:05 PM
careful pubface, i've been loitering on this board for two days now looking for signs of common sense and maturity and your begining to stand out like a sore thumb

quick, edit your post with a few qphahaha or little willy digs before they realise your even minded and heaven forbid....educated!!

;)

Colin you have made my day, it makes me think that doing reasonbly well in my GCSEs was worth something! But seriously I've heard Cardiff are in the crapper let's get Ledley for 1k!!!!

TOOPM
08-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Colin you have made my day, it makes me think that doing reasonbly well in my GCSEs was worth something! But seriously I've heard Cardiff are in the crapper let's get Ledley for 1k!!!!

One person suggests you migt have some common sense and you go and ruin it by saying we should spend 1k on a player who's available on a free?

Welcome back down to our level:p

Pubface
10-06-2010, 12:31 PM
One person suggests you migt have some common sense and you go and ruin it by saying we should spend 1k on a player who's available on a free?

Welcome back down to our level:p

Sarcasm????

audreytatou
10-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Bit old,might have lost some of his pace,but if he can regain his liverpool form, could be worth a shout

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_01/TommySmith_468x608.jpg

lol you and me both mate:p

JHJ EAGLE
10-06-2010, 01:26 PM
I've got a suggestion.

Let's wait until we've got new owners and a manager in place before starting all the suggestions.

But that's just a suggestion.

Well said O Stinky one!:)

lehua768
17-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Let's wait until we've got new owners and a manager in place before starting all the suggestions.But that's just a suggestion.might have lost some of his pace,but if he can regain his liverpool form, could be worth a shout.One person suggests you migt have some common sense and you go and ruin it by saying we should spend 1k on a player who's available on a free?

CPFC_DAVE77
17-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Let's wait until we've got new owners and a manager in place before starting all the suggestions.But that's just a suggestion.might have lost some of his pace,but if he can regain his liverpool form, could be worth a shout.One person suggests you migt have some common sense and you go and ruin it by saying we should spend 1k on a player who's available on a free?

:eek:

NateEagle
17-06-2010, 08:06 AM
:eek:

Maybe he'd been on the wagon...otherwise :confused: