PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Scouting

PalaceSince2004
12-06-2010, 11:08 AM
I hope a lot of Palace fans are watching this world cup. If anyone has seen anyone that they like and are REALISTIC signings that Palace can sign post them here

So far:

South Africa vs Mexico -

Siphiwe Tshabalala (South Africa) :p
Itumeleng Khune (South Africa)

Eagle96
12-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I hope a lot of Palace fans are watching this world cup. If anyone has seen anyone that they like and are REALISTIC signings that Palace can sign post them here

So far:

South Africa vs Mexico -

Siphiwe Tshabalala (South Africa) :p
Itumeleng Khune (South Africa)

I saw him in last summer's (or maybe 2 summer's) Confederations Cup. I really rated him, and he looks like he's got everything in his closet. He's not that big, but he seems to be alright in the air.

He plays for Kaiser Chiefs in South Africa, so maybe we could get him on the cheap.

He's a left footed left winger (something we've lacked since the Gray days), and he's very exciting. 25 turning 26 this year aswell.

Sign him up!!

:lux: :lux: :lux:

Aaroncpfc
12-06-2010, 11:59 AM
If Dikagoi can get a move to Fulham i'm sure these two will be looking at the very least a move to The Premiership.

The same with Teko Modise, I think I reccomended him and another South African player who didn't play yesterday (Booth), a year or two ago. With the World Cup approaching and the likelihood of an English speaking team of hidden talent likely to do well on home turf I cannot believe that only Fulham were smart enough to scour the area before the tournament.

milky87
12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Anyone in the Greece team are sh*t enough to sign for us

Fever Pitch
12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
And with what money shall we use to purchase players? Why dont we go for Joe Cole, Kaka and Messi?

GreatGonzo
12-06-2010, 12:15 PM
And with what money shall we use to purchase players? Why dont we go for Joe Cole

Well he is on a free! :D

gold76
12-06-2010, 04:55 PM
JP was saying the Nigerian keeper has been touted for a premier league move he looked good today.

Demerit's on a free, I think he's a stout defender

Palestinian
12-06-2010, 05:02 PM
JP was saying the Nigerian keeper has been touted for a premier league move he looked good today.

Demerit's on a free, I think he's a stout defender

Agree with you about Demerit

Palestinian
12-06-2010, 05:03 PM

Surely we can aim higher than that .....

cockles
12-06-2010, 07:05 PM

2 of their strikers have been nicknamed "Tragedy" & "Catastrophe" by fans at their clubs.

Woosie
12-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Agree with you about Demerit

Me too, I think he would be a good signing and I shouldn't have thought his wages would be too high as he was at Watford previously before being released or just finishing his contract IIRC.

PalaceSince2004
12-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Vincent Enyeama

beef
13-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Buying world cup players just after the competition is usually a bad idea

CPFC987
13-06-2010, 12:10 AM

Eric Djemba-Djemba?:p

the kooch
13-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Egidio Arevalo
Cha Du ri

RDSdaEAGLE
13-06-2010, 05:13 AM
So far, all those players mentioned are beyond our grasp.

Those who impress at the World Cup will quickly sign up with agents who'll find them Premiership clubs stupid enough to make such rash signings. I would imagine a couple of them to turn up at Blackburn or similar.

As for those with any genuine talent (Enyeama for example), they are usually already with reasonably well-established squads, or already in the process of being signed by more established sides.

Either way, I doubt we have much of a chance with this World Cup - we'd be better served by looking a little closer to home for some affordable, reliable, proven players.

BulletEagle
13-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I have a feeling Tshabalala will go to Blackburn.

That Messi (I think that was his name) was quite a handful for Nigeria, think we should have a look at him, could give Scannell some competition.

cpfc4evandeva
13-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Why's that?

CPFC_DAVE77
13-06-2010, 08:44 PM

That's a strangely specific statement? Any particular reason?

CPFC_DAVE77
13-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Me too, I think he would be a good signing and I shouldn't have thought his wages would be too high as he was at Watford previously before being released or just finishing his contract IIRC.

The main reason Watford FC and him agreed to part company so easily was because he is on around 10k p/w.

He wants to 'better' himself/fresh start etc and they think he is not worth, and in any case can no longer afford his wages.

GodstoneEagle
13-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Tshabalala
Forlan
Cha Doo-Ri
Park Chu-Young
Valter Birsa
Gyan
Tagoe

have all caught the eye for me. Not to mention the entire German and Argentine sides.

Early days though.

Latvian
13-06-2010, 09:05 PM

That Messi (I think that was his name) was quite a handful for Nigeria, think we should have a look at him, could give Scannell some competition.

Because since the Mark Hughes era, they have relied on getting mentalists from commonwealth countries to kick the turd out of teams in the Premiership. Kiwis, Aussies, Taffs etc. They had Mokena, so have a link there. I'm not sure Blackburn can lure a better quality of player. Good shout from Bullet Eagle I reckon...

CPFC_DAVE77
13-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Because since the Mark Hughes era, they have relied on getting mentalists from commonwealth countries to kick the turd out of teams in the Premiership. Kiwis, Aussies, Taffs etc. They had Mokena, so have a link there. I'm not sure Blackburn can lure a better quality of player. Good shout from Bullet Eagle I reckon...

Absolutely ridiculous.

Santa-Cruz, Dunn, N'Zonzi, Samba, Pederson. I can't even be bothered to carry on.

PalaceSince2004
13-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Andre Ayew
Anthony Annan

JamTheEagle
13-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Tshabalala
Forlan
Cha Doo-Ri
Park Chu-Young
Valter Birsa
Gyan
Tagoe

have all caught the eye for me. Not to mention the entire German and Argentine sides.

Early days though.

Prince Tagoe really impressed me, partly down to his name - reminds me of Die Hard 3.

I also agree that DeMerit would be great for us.

JamTheEagle
13-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Eric Djemba-Djemba?:p

El-Hadji Diouf - definition of the luckiest player in the right place at the right time.

hughff
14-06-2010, 02:16 AM
Koren, now available on a free, is a good calibre player and proven championship commodity (and out of our wage range.)

Also from Slovenia, I've watched the highlights of the friendly against NZ and the first half of the Algeria game and a player who impressed me was Kirm, who is apparently playing in Poland. His running is direct, hard and fast and he can cross accurately at pace. I suspect he's also out of our ability to obtain.

Edit - plays either right or left wing and seems two footed

Stigma
14-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Clarence Goodson (28) is an American central defender. Didn't play against England. But played the 3 last games before (14 caps/ 2 goals overall).
He plays for my Norwegian team Start. Very good defender. And the best part is; His contract ends in November this year. So would be cheap.

Owngoal
14-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Was Koren the one one of our players had a go at because of the drugs buying? If so probably explains why WBA are getting rid of him.

MasterYoda
14-06-2010, 08:13 AM
That was Bednar

cpalacefan88
15-06-2010, 12:52 AM
yoshito okubo.

very fast and has an excellent work rate also prolific in the j league. i would assume his wage wont be too bad because the top paid player in the j league gets 500 000 a year and its the keeper Nakazawater his name is (dont remeber were i saw this)

crystaljim
15-06-2010, 02:07 AM
Shane Smeltz the kiwi frontman is probably someone we can afford. We'll see how he performs on the big stage tonight.

whoisdanze?
15-06-2010, 05:22 AM
Shane Smeltz the kiwi frontman is probably someone we can afford. We'll see how he performs on the big stage tonight.

he's my smokey for the golden boot....

PalaceSince2004
15-06-2010, 05:46 AM
Marcus Tulio Tanaka

rhynoeagle
15-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Both of the Japanese Centre Backs. And that Honda guy, i'm not sure what kind of club hes at, probably a good one who we couldnt lure from.

unsensibleLiam
15-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Both of the Japanese Centre Backs. And that Honda guy, i'm not sure what kind of club hes at, probably a good one who we couldnt lure from.

Honda is at CSKA Moscow, so no chance for us sadly.

voyeur
15-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Was Koren the one one of our players had a go at because of the drugs buying? If so probably explains why WBA are getting rid of him.

I think that was Bednar. The commentator said Koren was keen to stay in England. Give him 300 a week and sign him up. He'll bite our hand off. :cool:

PalaceSince2004
15-06-2010, 05:59 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_national_football_team#Current_squad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Tulio_Tanaka

PalaceSince2004
15-06-2010, 06:00 PM
So far, all those players mentioned are beyond our grasp.

Those who impress at the World Cup will quickly sign up with agents who'll find them Premiership clubs stupid enough to make such rash signings. I would imagine a couple of them to turn up at Blackburn or similar.

As for those with any genuine talent (Enyeama for example), they are usually already with reasonably well-established squads, or already in the process of being signed by more established sides.

Either way, I doubt we have much of a chance with this World Cup - we'd be better served by looking a little closer to home for some affordable, reliable, proven players.

Very true

pap
15-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Korean number 9 looks very useful.

Not even going to attempt to spell his name.

CPFC_DAVE77
15-06-2010, 07:32 PM

Yea that was Bednar, he said our players kept asking 'have you got any drugs' :D He said Derry was the worst.

I know a lot of WBA fans were surprised Koren was released, even without the WC stage to perform on, he was neve going to struggle for a club.

pauldrulez
15-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Deco was pretty good earlier.

CPFC_DAVE77
15-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Just because he aint at the world cup this time, we can still complete this Nugent deal right?

BulletEagle
15-06-2010, 08:16 PM
That Korean that just scored, good finish.

unsensibleLiam
15-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Just because he aint at the world cup this time, we can still complete this Nugent deal right?

The only reason he isn't in the England team is because he picked up a slight cold the night before the teams were announced.

PalaceSince2004
15-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Jong Tae-Se

Definetely caught my eye. Excellent work rate and showed some promises. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jong_Tae-Se

'Jong went for a trial with an unknown Premier League team in early 2010'

Got an excellent goal record for his country and even club level is decent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4P5pKuNu5Y

hook
16-06-2010, 12:33 PM
There is a bloke on the bench for New Zealand who hasnt played for a club for two years. He'd be perfect for sitting on our bench.

lil_b_eagle
16-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Jong Tae-Se

Definetely caught my eye. Excellent work rate and showed some promises. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jong_Tae-Se

'Jong went for a trial with an unknown Premier League team in early 2010'

Got an excellent goal record for his country and even club level is decent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4P5pKuNu5Y

agreed, hold up play was immense and could spray the ball about too

Absolution
16-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Andrew Boyens - Based on nothing but the one game I saw (he looks a steady player on the bench, good in warmups), the fact he is 6ft4 and the fact I think "Boyens - 6" would look good on the back of a Palace shirt.

gold76
20-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Shane Smeltz

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
20-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Who does Smith (the NZ centre back) play for. Liked the look of him apart from the pointless shirt pull for the pen - but he will learn from that.

Wood looked good too - might West Brom let him go on loan?

unsensibleLiam
20-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Who does Smith (the NZ centre back) play for. Liked the look of him apart from the pointless shirt pull for the pen - but he will learn from that.

Wood looked good too - might West Brom let him go on loan?

Smith plays for Ipswich or Derby or someone similar I think.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
20-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Smith plays for Ipswich or Derby or someone similar I think.

Ta - probably can't steal him then.

pardew's shorts
20-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Winston Reid

webbo1990
20-06-2010, 10:06 PM
What no one has mentioned is that many (probably half) of the players at the WC would never get a work permit to play for CP, unfortunately.

I have been impressed with a few South Korean, Ghanian and Chilean players who are probably on the same wage as me(!), but simply have no chance of a work permit.

I also think that to buy someone based on a couple of games for their country would be a mistake.

LLCOOLSTEVE
20-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Winston Reid

:)

Plays in Denmark but has looked good

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
20-06-2010, 10:09 PM
What no one has mentioned is that many (probably half) of the players at the WC would never get a work permit to play for CP, unfortunately.

I have been impressed with a few South Korean, Ghanian and Chilean players who are probably on the same wage as me(!), but simply have no chance of a work permit.

I also think that to buy someone based on a couple of games for their country would be a mistake.

I don't think anyone is seriously expecting or thinking we will sign anyone playing at the world cup - just a bit of fun really.

webbo1990
20-06-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't think anyone is seriously expecting or thinking we will sign anyone playing at the world cup - just a bit of fun really.
Yeah i know, sorry I didnt mean to sound like a muppet. It would be great if a couple of players in particular were mentioned a few times and someone at the club was passed on the suggestions, but i thought i'd mention the work permit thing.

On the subject of fans recommending players, i have heard that Charlie Austin of Swindon was suggested to Bournemouth by one of their fans (as Austin was at nearby Poole Town i think), but as the club had a transfer embargo they couldnt sign him. Swindon did and are laughing their heads off.

You never know:-)

All_Fired_Up
21-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Definitely Robert Koren, the Kiwi Goal Keeper for a reserve keeper, Shane Smeltz would be worth a trial.

ozzieEagle
21-06-2010, 01:13 AM
Shane Smeltz

I'll say it yet again as well

Shane Smeltz. I reckon he is the only A league striker that really could make a good go of it in the Championship.

Still I'd rather see him stay in the A league. Wish Victory would sign him.

All_Fired_Up
21-06-2010, 01:43 AM
I'll say it yet again as well

Shane Smeltz. I reckon he is the only A league striker that really could make a good go of it in the Championship.

Still I'd rather see him stay in the A league. Wish Victory would sign him.

Guys how fast do you think Smetz is ??, do you think he is as quick as Aj ??

ozzieEagle
21-06-2010, 01:56 AM
Guys how fast do you think Smetz is ??, do you think he is as quick as Aj ??

Nope nowhere near.... But he does have a dead set knack of getting the ball in the net.... Thats all you need... give him the ball in the zone and more likely than not it will end up in the net. Some players are just able to do this.

ozzieEagle
21-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Have a look for yourselves and see what you reckon.... Looks like he would automatically be a No 1 penalty taker.

Fyh6GgY8X94

All_Fired_Up
21-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Have a look for yourselves and see what you reckon.... Looks like he would automatically be a No 1 penalty taker.

Fyh6GgY8X94

Nice work alright, Bang and the ball is in the net....

GreatGonzo
21-06-2010, 04:25 PM
We are talking about the same player who was at Mansfield and failed, who moved on from AFC Wimbledon and Halifax?

He has a reasonably good scoring record in a league where is appear defending is not allowed as well, he was unmarked for most of those in the clip, defences in the NPC are better than that!

His international record looks solid but then he is generally playing against teams like the Cook Islands!

KungFuCharlie
21-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Ghana's young centre back - Addy - raw, but could do a job. Only 20, and playing in the Ghanaian league.

gold76
21-06-2010, 08:34 PM
^^

Always liked Abedi Pele, where do his sons play?

PalaceSince2004
21-06-2010, 10:37 PM
^^

Always liked Abedi Pele, where do his sons play?

Marseille
(Loan is likely)

He looks so much like Nathenial Clyne

the kooch
21-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Andre Ayew is one of the stars of this cup, if we signed him I'd literally go to Africa and carry him to London on my back.

Adlerhorst
21-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Let's all think about how many clubs will be scouting the world cup.

People from North Korea are probably out of our reach (even if they manage to get out of the reach of that Ronery fellow back home).

hook
22-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I reckon Archie Thompson could make it in the championship. Since this is a World Cup link my spurious tie in is that if the Pimbecile doesnt like him he must be OK.Otherwise how about Culina for our depleted midfiled?

ngg3
22-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Tschabala or however you spell it. The kids good.

PalaceSince2004
22-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Tsepo Masilela

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsepo_Masilela

RDSdaEAGLE
22-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Winston Reid for New Zealand looks good :)

ExiledStirling
22-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Tschabala or however you spell it. The kids good.

Agreed having watched him just now. It is Tshabalala btw.

Excowboy
22-06-2010, 05:14 PM
This is a nice bit of escapism but we'd be much better off getting out of contract or inexpensive players from the English leagues.

Apart from the fact that anyone that does well in the World Cup is likely to see their transfer fee and wage demand rise dramatically, we are much more likely to get reliable scouting reports over a large number of games from the English leagues, and from matches much more similar to championship football than those played at the world cup.

Gerry from Sussex
23-06-2010, 07:45 AM
I heard an interview with David Moyes the other day and he was asked if was scouting. He also made the point that while it's worth putting a few names in your notebook it's the worst possible time to buy because the price is always way higher than it should be after a world cup. In any case, being realistic, seeing as every club in the world is also looking in, we would have little chance of landing any decent targets.

Gerry from Sussex
23-06-2010, 05:02 PM

Did you notice who gave away one the pens - the handball - our very own Pops!!

doodledandy
23-06-2010, 05:55 PM

I'm still having nightmares over Sandor Torghelle!

Latvian Eagle
24-06-2010, 07:36 AM
I'm still having nightmares over Sandor Torghelle!

Sandor Torghelle has never played at a World Cup you nut! :vader:

PalaceSince2004
24-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Eiji Kawashima

Yoshito Ōkubo

Yasuhito Endō

the kooch
24-06-2010, 10:24 PM
I think most of Japan's starting 11 would be excellent signings. They have the work rate, strength and tenacity to be successful in our league. Magath's been signing Japanese players at Wolfsburg and Schalke for a while now, and he knows a few things so they must be good.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
24-06-2010, 11:49 PM
I totally like their centre back whose name is a bit like Tuna

gold76
25-06-2010, 06:25 AM
tulio the half Brazilian chap, who scored against us?

PalaceSince2004
25-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Quality player he is!! I suggested him before in this post

Gladys Allover
25-06-2010, 07:26 AM
I would go for Winston Reid, the New Zealand centre half. Has done brilliantly next to Ryan Nelsen, scores from set pieces, young and quick. Would be very cheap too!

BVB Bob
25-06-2010, 07:59 AM
I would go for Winston Reid, the New Zealand centre half. Has done brilliantly next to Ryan Nelsen, scores from set pieces, young and quick. Would be very cheap too!

Don't disagree that he's a good shout, but scoring is one thing he doesn't do much of. I think the goal against Slovakia was only his 3rd career goal. He's actually a Danish citizen too - not sure whether that helps with permits?

st albans
25-06-2010, 08:02 AM
thought this was supposed to be realistic

cockles
25-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Don't disagree that he's a good shout, but scoring is one thing he doesn't do much of. I think the goal against Slovakia was only his 3rd career goal. He's actually a Danish citizen too - not sure whether that helps with permits?

Definately helps - EU Citizens require no work permit in the UK.

He is currently at this club: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Midtjylland

I'm sure his agent is busy engineering him something, and doubt he'll be that cheap.

I don't really fancy Kiwis though, due to the Internationals they'll play mid-season.

Also, most matches I've seen were no better than Championship standard. I think Paddy Mac & Davis would have stood out in these games too.

I'd be glad with non headline signings via GB's network. The best performers for our 46 game league seem to be ex-U21 and 'B' Internationals.

The ideal profile I'd like in our signings would be ex Irish/Scots/Welsh U21s still under 25 yo. We can't seem to hang-on to many British Isles Full Internationals, so the resale potential on these players if they do well for us has potential. Many England U21s seem over-priced & have dodgy attitudes.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
25-06-2010, 09:40 AM
tulio the half Brazilian chap, who scored against us?

Yeah that's the fella. He's cool :lux:

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
25-06-2010, 09:41 AM
thought this was supposed to be realistic

Realistic is rubbish - realistic would mean this thread had about 2 posts

Beanie
25-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Would be an awful risk. If GB doesn't know about a player already then a few World Cup games is NOT a good basis for signing anybody. May be a good place to note somebody that can be monitored, but not to sign on so little evidence.

doodledandy
28-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Sandor Torghelle has never played at a World Cup you nut! :vader:
He played in at least six world cup qualifing games and it was after he scored against Germany in one of those matches that Dowie paid 750K for him. But who cares? He was just another palace failure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A1ndor_Torghelle#International_career

unsensibleLiam
29-06-2010, 03:27 PM
I agree, Tulio would be a great signing. Can also play in midfield

kettle
30-06-2010, 01:33 PM
World Cups are the worst place to do scouting, because anyone that has a few good games immediately goes up in price! As for Torghelle, I felt he could have been perfect alongside AJ, height, power and reasonable pace, but was a victim of tactics when Dowie insisted he played 4-5-1.
I always remember his shot at Norwich that smacked the goalkeeper in the face, first game of the season. Had that gone in, I reckon we would have stuck with 4-4-2!