PDA

View Full Version : Howell to leave for Plymouth?

Palace Don
20-03-2002, 06:23 PM
Saw this on the Plymouth Web site:

Howell to join Argyle?

Sturrock had also hoped to take a look at Crystal Palace's 19-year-old defender Richard Howell, who trained with Argyle on Monday.

Howell is one of several reserve-team players at Palace who have been told they can leave Selhurst Park.

However, the Eagles refused to let him play against Torquay unless the teenager agreed to a contract settlement.

Sturrock is ready to invite Howell to return to Home Park at a later date.

Anyone know anything about this? Alan? I wouldn't have thought Howell would be one of the players that Palace let go?

arussell
20-03-2002, 06:42 PM
Howell's situation has been uncertain - no one at the club has said one way or another. IF he's let go - that I give up with Palace as far as having a reserve team goes

I don't understand this mental block our management staff have when it comes to using their own promising youngsters. Other clubs have consistantly shown it's the way forward and Palace themselves used to do it in the past - what's stopping them now ?

Yes we need a bit of a clear out - but letting the best and most consistant young player leave is a complete load of crap. None of the coaching staff seem very clued up with what's going on at the moment, and Trevor Francis himself will hardly have seen him play.

Howelll has had scouts from the second division watching him all season in the reserves with admiration - so there won't be any shortage of takers

N
20-03-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Palace Don
Saw this on the Plymouth Web site:

Howell to join Argyle?

However, the Eagles refused to let him play against Torquay unless the

Anyone know anything about this? Alan? I wouldn't have thought Howell would be one of the players that Palace let go?
By the way Andrew Martin scored in this game after only 12 SECONDS.:eek:

Palace Don
20-03-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by arussell
Howell's situation has been uncertain - no one at the club has said one way or another. IF he's let go - that I give up with Palace as far as having a reserve team goes

I don't understand this mental block our management staff have when it comes to using their own promising youngsters. Other clubs have consistantly shown it's the way forward and Palace themselves used to do it in the past - what's stopping them now ?

Yep, I agree Alan, but we never used to be this negligent with our youth? Maybe things have changed since Jordan came took over?

Who Cares?
20-03-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by arussell

Yes we need a bit of a clear out - but letting the best and most consistant young player leave is a complete load of crap. None of the coaching staff seem very clued up with what's going on at the moment, and Trevor Francis himself will hardly have seen him play.

Howell has had scouts from the second division watching him all season in the reserves with admiration - so there won't be any shortage of takers

So Trevor Francis with over 30 years experience in professional football, including playing in a World Cup, Steve Kember (>35 years), Terry Bullivant (>20 years at least) and Dave Swindlehurst (>30 years) are all less qualified than self appointed reserve team expert arussell.
So where is this plethora of 2nd division clubs (bearing in mind that we are in the 1st division, with premiership pretensions, and Plymouth are at at present in Div 3 ) gagging for Mr Howell?

arussell
21-03-2002, 05:33 AM
Come back and talk to me about it when you know something about the player in question ..... Obviously you blindly agree with everything Francis, Kember and Bullivant do - a large number of us don't.

As for thinking Dave Swindlehurst is qualified to be a reserve team manager ... obviously haven't heard the phrase "jobs for the boys".

hughff
21-03-2002, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Who Cares?

So Trevor Francis with over 30 years experience in professional football, including playing in a World Cup, Steve Kember (>35 years), Terry Bullivant (>20 years at least) and Dave Swindlehurst (>30 years) are all less qualified than self appointed reserve team expert arussell.
So where is this plethora of 2nd division clubs (bearing in mind that we are in the 1st division, with premiership pretensions, and Plymouth are at at present in Div 3 ) gagging for Mr Howell?

I refuse to see how someone's experience playing top level football automatically makes them a good judge of a player and someone without that experience a bad judge.

For example, I have a friend (Tony Sail) who did not play a single game of first class cricket in his life coach players to national representation. A few years ago, he applied for the job of Central Districts coach. (CD is one of the NZ first class teams.) As coach of CD seconds, three times winning coach of the NZ 2nd XI championship and coach of the NZ schools team, he had a good shot, he thought. Instead, they appointed former test player Dipak Patel. Six months later, Tony was coaching another first class team, Auckland. Now, four years later, Patel is long gone, an ignominious failure and Auckland have revived from the doldrums and are a feared force again. The spectacular inability of people like Alan Ball to run a football side is the opposite side of this coin.

To let Howell go seems the height of careless stupid, given that neither Swindlehurst nor Francis have seen him do anything except rehabilitation.

We used to be a club who brought through the youngsters; now, we let them go elsewhere. We need to revise our scouting and signing systems if we can't get youngsters good enough and our coaching if we can't groom them. However, the potential of Howell, given that before his injuries he was always described as at least solid and often exceptional in defense in match reports, means he needs at least another season to prove to his new masters what he can do.

Palace Don
21-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Indeed, with Kember there you would have thought that he would know of Howell's and other players talents? But maybe his role is more subservient than we think?

I think the appointment of Francis, could turn out to be a disaster for the club, not only for our position in the league table, but also, for the nuturing of our young raw talent.

colinp
27-03-2002, 05:37 AM
Richard Howell was released today.Abig mistake Ifear.He was actually released before Francis had seen him play.Has a lot of clubs interested in him including Birmingham!He has been offered a contract by Stevenage Borough but Plymouth are favourites to sign him as they have been tracking him since last year.He was down there last week for a trial but was called back for some strange reason.

jlmatthews
27-03-2002, 09:23 AM
I think it is really a shame that we are letting all of these younger players go. I know it is better than our first team and that other younger players need chances, but I don't really like all of this that has been going on at the moment.

Axie
27-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Didn't he get refused permission to play (at any level) for Plymouth as he hadn't agreed a release package from Palace ??

kolinkins
27-03-2002, 09:55 PM
its not just TF thats ignored him though, is it? it is also bruce, SK and TB. the hype surrounding him reminds me of danny boxall. will he ever be that good, and if he was, why is it that its only a newly promoted div 2 club that wants him?

Jimbo ?
28-03-2002, 02:59 AM
more youth players off - streamlinning the squad!!!

Officer Dibble
28-03-2002, 06:01 AM
He's gone to Stevenage.

Clapham Grand
28-03-2002, 03:48 PM
From Stevenage website:

Wayne Turner has been busy ahead of D-Day strengthening his squad ready for a grueling end of season schedule.

In comes Former Luton front man Liam George and Crystal Palace right back Richard Howell, whilst Plymouth midfielder Shaun Evers comes in until the end of the season on loan.

Turner said Im absolutely shattered having spent most of the last two days on the phone. I have been chasing these players for a while though, and today really was crunch time because of the deadline which is Thursday afternoon. I now feel that I have provided cover for all the squad, and those that have come in will hopefully prove to be real assets. It is vital that we have this cover now, because we face the prospect of a game every 3 days, and that is tough on anyone.

Luton born Liam George, 23, played over 100 games for the Hatters, scoring 25 times, before being released last week. He has represented Eire at under 21 level and Turner said He is a very exciting player. If plays as I now he can, he will be a real asset to us.

Richard Howell, 19, is from Hitchin, and impressed Wayne Turner when he scored a cracking goal for Palace Reserves last week whilst being watched. He can play either right back, or in midfield.

Who Cares?
28-03-2002, 07:37 PM
Stevenage eh?

Shows what bad judges our management team are then. Obviously something they share in common with 71 other counterparts across the Nationwide League.

Eagle Kneevil
28-03-2002, 07:58 PM
Is this Richard Howell or Chris Powell? Or is this deja-vu all over again?