PDA

View Full Version : What positions do we need to cover?

doodledandy
21-06-2010, 06:45 PM
With all that's going on and the speculation surrounding the various out-of-contract players, which positions do we need to fill or cover.

A quality striker is going to be essential and I also think we need a quality central defender and a left back. We also need goalkeeping cover too.

Thoughts?

cpfcfan1
21-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Left back,

Right wing
Left wing

Defensive mid if Derry goes

A decent striker

SE25Eagle
21-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Left back, centre back, right back (if Clyne goes) left winger, centre mid, forward (s)

GreatGonzo
21-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Assuming Hill goes we have no LB or LWB in the squad until Hills is fit.

Assuming GB wants to play 4-4-2 we have no wingers in the squad.

Those 3 would therefore be the most essential additions and then building cover in around the squad.

unsensibleLiam
21-06-2010, 07:27 PM
LB
CB
DCM
Wingers
Striker or two.

jakki
21-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Considering carle and ertl have gone, and assuming derry is going, it would be handy to bring two other centre mids.
Good to have 2 in each position and all that. N'diaye, danns then two others.
All depends on GB, funds available, and players available i guess.

pauldrulez
21-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Left Back.

Re-sign Butts.

Re-sign Andrew.

Young striker to actually add some competition to Scannell and the Academy kids while Andrew and Lee compete as the Big guy next to the little guy.

A winger of some sort.

A free, veteran presence to play somewhere in the team.

GrahamS
21-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Assuming Derry, Hill, Flahaven and John go and the rest re-sign; at a minimum we need:

A left back
A left winger
A defensive midfielder
A striker (who can score goals regularly)

But realistically you could add another defensive midfielder to that list as well as centre back

Kirby
21-06-2010, 07:51 PM
As much as I like Andrew and appreciated his efforts last season, I don't think he's anywhere near good enough. If we can attract 2 new strikers to the club I think we'd have enough in Lee, Scannell + 2.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
21-06-2010, 08:07 PM
------------------------Speroni----------------------------
Butts------------Cb----------------Paddy-------------clyne
(callum davidson
on a free)
---------CM---------------CM-------------Dannsey---------
(james harper (ROB KOREN free)
FREE?)

-----------------AM/CF---------------AM/CF ambrose----------------
(BEATTIE? Owners willing
for quality guaranteed playerS)

----------------------------ST--------------------------------------
(MORRISON ON A FREE ;D)
Subs:
Gk cover
arseanal young winger on loan (barazite or lansbury)
N'diaye
Hill
Midfield cover veteran (i.e aki rihalarts :L)
Zaha
Scannell

Cb cover (mkandawire free)
midfield cover (mahon frm qpr free)

So my shoppin list contains: cb, 2 cm's, 2 st's for 1st team. 1 defensive cover, 2 mid cover, 1 attaking cover.

I NEED A LIFE!!

spt1978
21-06-2010, 08:08 PM
LB, CB, LW, RW and CF x2

Not expecting all those to be filled lol.

Psychokiller
21-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Wide left definitely. I reckon McSheffrey is worth a punt on a 'pay as you play' deal.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
21-06-2010, 08:10 PM
and a few wingers!!!

CPFC_DAVE77
21-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Wide left definitely. I reckon McSheffrey is worth a punt on a 'pay as you play' deal.

Yea with some decent, but manageable bonus incentives, particularly for goals; he was a scored tons from midfield ala Ambrose at Cov before his move to Birmingham.

nickiverson
21-06-2010, 08:19 PM
mcsheffery has gone to cov

CPFC_DAVE77
21-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Shame; good signing.

rhynoeagle
21-06-2010, 09:07 PM
2 Strikers.
1 CB
1 LB
2 Wingers
1 Holding midfeild.

Is that too much to ask CPFC2010 ? :D :D :D :D

I'd be happy with 50% of that list.

Seaside Eagle
21-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Speroni is ours, Speroni is OURS, f*ck off Neil Warnock, Speroni is ours.
:lux: :lux:

gold76
21-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Reserve Goalie
Centre Back
Left Back
Defensive Midfielder
Left Winger
Striker

Stavros 69
21-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Left back on loan
keep butts
left winger
right winger
striker x3 would be nice.

Psychokiller
21-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Fair play to him, that's the team he supports.

PalaceSince2004
21-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Left Winger!!!!!!

David Amsalem
21-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Even if Hill had stayed, we need a natural left back. Just thinking out loud here, Franck Queudrue joined Colchester on loan last season, he could possibly be a good signing.

We need at least one striker, personally I would like to see us try and sign a proven goalscorer from the lower leagues. Perhaps Simeon Jackson or Adam Le Fondre although I suspect the latter is a Scott McGleish type player, i.e. scores for fun in the lower leagues but that is his level so perhaps not.

If we go 4-4-2, we need two wingers. Wingers are in short supply though so I can't even think of a suggestion, not that it would be worth much anyway.

And with Ertl gone and perhaps even Derry as well, we're going to need a defensive midfielder. I think Gavin Mahon might be available and that could prove out to be a Paddy McCarthy/Mark Hudson signing with us getting the better deal with Derry off to QPR. Again, just thinking out loud.

The squad needs padding out as well. I would imagine we need a back-up goalkeeper if Flahaven is off. Hopefully Butterfield will sign as back-up to Clyne. Whilst Hills is out injured, we'll need a back-up left back to a potential new signing. Unless a young player can step up to play centre back as well, if Lawrence leaves (which I think is probably best) with just McCarthy and Davis at centre back, we'll need cover there.

Ambrose and Danns are good enough for any Championship team but as already mentioned, the midfield is looking weak and we need some new bodies in there.

Calvin Andrew is sufficient back up upfront and Alan Lee is good enough to start but we also need a fresh face or two there.

A bit too much Championship Manager from me I think...

doodledandy
23-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Even if Hill had stayed, we need a natural left back. Just thinking out loud here, Franck Queudrue joined Colchester on loan last season, he could possibly be a good signing.

We need at least one striker, personally I would like to see us try and sign a proven goalscorer from the lower leagues. Perhaps Simeon Jackson or Adam Le Fondre although I suspect the latter is a Scott McGleish type player, i.e. scores for fun in the lower leagues but that is his level so perhaps not.

If we go 4-4-2, we need two wingers. Wingers are in short supply though so I can't even think of a suggestion, not that it would be worth much anyway.

And with Ertl gone and perhaps even Derry as well, we're going to need a defensive midfielder. I think Gavin Mahon might be available and that could prove out to be a Paddy McCarthy/Mark Hudson signing with us getting the better deal with Derry off to QPR. Again, just thinking out loud.

The squad needs padding out as well. I would imagine we need a back-up goalkeeper if Flahaven is off. Hopefully Butterfield will sign as back-up to Clyne. Whilst Hills is out injured, we'll need a back-up left back to a potential new signing. Unless a young player can step up to play centre back as well, if Lawrence leaves (which I think is probably best) with just McCarthy and Davis at centre back, we'll need cover there.

Ambrose and Danns are good enough for any Championship team but as already mentioned, the midfield is looking weak and we need some new bodies in there.

Calvin Andrew is sufficient back up upfront and Alan Lee is good enough to start but we also need a fresh face or two there.

A bit too much Championship Manager from me I think...

Hasn't Gavin Mahon been off injured with knee issues for some time and that's why he being released? He may not be the right man, but certainly in the right mould.

I also think it would be useful to look at David Mirfin (25 year old Central Defender) and Michael Raynes (23 year old Defender) at Scunthorpe United. They also have Rob Jones, a 6'7" former Hibernian captain and central Defender, but at 31 he may be a tad too old.

jams1234
23-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Left-back, 2 wingers, 2 centre mids, 2 or 3 strikers.