PDA

View Full Version : Andy Dorman signs for Palace (official)

Pages : [1] 2

Johnnydev66
25-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Reports on the BBC and scotsman that we're after out of contract midfielder Andy Dorman, 28. Recently capped by Wales, scored 24 goals in 108 games for St Mittens in the SPL, and 19 in 112 for New England revs on the MSL.

Sounds good!

Nelson Muntz
25-06-2010, 08:48 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Dorman

EagleSE24
25-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Reports on the BBC and scotsman that we're after out of contract midfielder Andy Dorman, 28. Recently capped by Wales, scored 24 goals in 108 games for St Mittens in the SPL, and 19 in 112 for New England revs on the MSL.

Sounds good!

St Mittens? I hear he's a little bit handy and think he'd fit us like a glove.

GodstoneEagle
25-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Highly rated and believable given Burley's history.

Good stuff hopefully :)

EagleSE24
25-06-2010, 09:21 AM
A few views on Dorman from the St Mittens site

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/29618-andy-dorman-offski/

The Bishop
25-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Sounds like a very useful player. Here's what his old boss Gus McPherson had to say about him in a report back in April 2009:

"There is no doubt there will be an attraction to a midfield player who has already scored 11 goals this season," he said. "There are few of that type of player around who run beyond strikers and take a chance.

"You find so many midfielders who just want to sit in the middle of the park and pass the ball from side to side. Andy's different. He's prepared to gamble and times his runs so well.

"If you judge him by players who have moved in recent seasons, he has to be worth around seven figures and I think that's what the club would be looking at, although that's not my decision, it's for the directors.

"He has great composure in front of goal and you know if he makes the run and gets the opportunity that, nine times out of 10, he's going to stick it away because he doesn't get caught in the headlights."

kolinkins
25-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Reminds me of a mix between ambrose and danns!

GodstoneEagle
25-06-2010, 09:33 AM
He's an attacking midfielder so we'd still need Ertl/Derry replacements.

kolinkins
25-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Speaking to a Southampton fan, he said that Burley didnt really play a ball winner all of the time - but tended to have 2 midfielders taking it in turn to sit and hold, and go. Think Danns could be one of those.

EagleSE24
25-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Speaking to a Southampton fan, he said that Burley didnt really play a ball winner all of the time - but tended to have 2 midfielders taking it in turn to sit and hold, and go. Think Danns could be one of those.

Sounds like a Gerrard/Lampard midfield...

GreatGonzo
25-06-2010, 09:41 AM

Similar to Danns and Ambrose then? Could he be a replacement for Ambrose? Is he left footed and could he play wide?

orp pisshead1
25-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Sounds like a Gerrard/Lampard midfield...
Was sounding so good till this bit :)

PJJY
25-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Similar to Danns and Ambrose then? Could he be a replacement for Ambrose? Is he left footed and could he play wide?

He's right footed, believe he can play on the left where he cuts in but generally used at St Mirren in central midfield.

palace64
25-06-2010, 09:56 AM
He's right footed, believe he can play on the left where he cuts in but generally used at St Mirren in central midfield.

why wast money on a player with one foot be a bit slow wont he

hoskingt
25-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I'd just be glad to see a Palace signing.

Beanie
25-06-2010, 10:03 AM
With any luck N'Daiye or Butterfield if he stays will fill that role.

Beanie
25-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Why would he be a replacement for anybody? Burley has the money to spend and Ertl, Carle and Derry's wages to allocate.

Gooders
25-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Why would he be a replacement for anybody? Burley has the money to spend and Ertl, Carle and Derry's wages to allocate.

Not really Beanie - we all know the wage bill has to be smaller than it was before, so there may yet be no "wages to allocate".

NateEagle
25-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Not really Beanie - we all know the wage bill has to be smaller than it was before, so there may yet be no "wages to allocate".

Getting rid of 3 and replacing with 1...that sounds like making the wage bill smaller to me ;) Hopefully there is a bit more in the coffers if he does go for Dorman as we desperately need a striker as well as this midfield position.

Gooders
25-06-2010, 10:23 AM
One of the posters on that St Mirren site said he's going to Portsmouth.

the kooch
25-06-2010, 10:24 AM
-----N'Diaye-----

Dorman-----Danns

Beanie
25-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Not according to Steve Parish - who said the wage bill and budget from last season are manageable. Surprised me, but I guess we are saving over 1m on rent.

Kevan Woz Awful
25-06-2010, 10:32 AM

You could be right Beanie, although perhaps not pound for pound.
Steve Parish said during his Interview with Palace radio that the transfer budget would be the same as last year* and a decent amount of any money free'd up from player sales would be made available to George Burley.

* I didn't think we had any transfer budget last year?

pops for prez
25-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Ive asked my Scottish mate about him, Ill let you know what he says

pops for prez
25-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Here's what my mate said (Rangers fan):

aye mate he's a cracking player. Gets goals considering he plays for a shite team. Should get you bout a dozen goals if given the service. We were looking at him last summer.

The Bishop
25-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Damn :hmph:

PJJY
25-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Been linked with Notts Forest this summer too.

Owngoal
25-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Why would we want another midfield player who gets goals?

Get in there George............

He really sounds the type of player we need to go for promotion

brooklynlou
25-06-2010, 11:31 AM
And unlike most English footballers, he's a university graduate (Boston University) ...

Palestinian
25-06-2010, 11:46 AM
And unlike most English footballers, he's a university graduate (Boston University) ...
another Matt Lawrence then ....:D

thehalifaxman
25-06-2010, 11:47 AM
The wage bill and the way the club was being run was ok under jordan. There was just a couple of HUUUUGE F*CK UPS that cost him. The ground rent and the Agillo Loan. Without these burdens the club is actually on good stead. Brendon will collect about a million for running the club over that time and did he really make that many changes in the season? (Redundencies were when there was no income of course over the summer) I thought the admin said when they came in that the club was being fairly well run on a day to day basis? So player wages wasn't the problem.

(btw i know I'll get stick for this as there was HUUUUGE F*CK UPS)

thehalifaxman
25-06-2010, 11:47 AM
another Matt Lawrence then ....:D

or steve coppell?

Palestinian
25-06-2010, 11:54 AM
The wage bill and the way the club was being run was ok under jordan. There was just a couple of HUUUUGE F*CK UPS that cost him. The ground rent and the Agillo Loan. Without these burdens the club is actually on good stead. Brendon will collect about a million for running the club over that time and did he really make that many changes in the season? (Redundencies were when there was no income of course over the summer) I thought the admin said when they came in that the club was being fairly well run on a day to day basis? So player wages wasn't the problem.

Think your analysis is completely wrong, but tis been done to death on other threads so won’t repeat here – while day to day operations were tightly run, the amount spent on salaries, transfers and rent was unsustainable given our income.

Chris K
25-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Not according to Steve Parish - who said the wage bill and budget from last season are manageable. Surprised me, but I guess we are saving over 1m on rent.

But we weren't paying the rent :p

You're right though, people are also overlooking the fact that SP and GB have both said that there's a budget to be working with and one that will make us competitive in this division.

GreatGonzo
25-06-2010, 12:22 PM

P&A fees capped at 500k and they took a reduction on that is the glaring inaccuracy in that.

I only said possibly replacement as GB may of course know DA is likely to go but wants someone in first before we get the money. He may also not want to many 'similar' players in his squad so he has a bit more variety.

JamTheEagle
25-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Where exactly would Pompey be getting the money to pay him with from? Plus they are still under an embargo I believe.

rhynoeagle
25-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Where exactly would Pompey be getting the money to pay him with from? Plus they are still under an embargo I believe.

As are we.

Crunchie
25-06-2010, 01:13 PM
I only said possibly replacement as GB may of course know DA is likely to go but wants someone in first before we get the money. He may also not want to many 'similar' players in his squad so he has a bit more variety.

We have a very small squad as it is, doesn't have anything to do with Darren IMO.

It's not like we have alot of attacking midfielders at the moment.

Replacement for Carle, if the story is true?

LLCOOLSTEVE
25-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Its just nice to be linked with players again :)

Jim Cannon
25-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Damn, it's the high wages they pay:D

Dobbo
25-06-2010, 01:49 PM
From a Falkirk fan:
"decent player, altho does tend to drift in and out of games too
often. there was talk of rangers and celtic buying him last
year for about 1m as he went on a great scoring run, didn't
quite hit the same heights last season but think he's capable
at playing at higher lvl than spl."

CPFCNathan
25-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Sounds like he'd be a decent signing. I'm loving the speculation again...it's funny we only had the CVA today and the media are at it already !

Chester
25-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Anyone else read it as a Frenchman in the N'Diaye mould from the thread title?

the kooch
25-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Amdy Faye?

Johnnydev66
25-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Yes, sorry 'bout that! Was doing it from my phone - bloody predictive text!!! :hmph:

Bazz Lightyear
25-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Spoken to a mate of mine from Dundee who said he is solid but does have a tendency to drift in and out of games as someone else has said on here. Maybe he just needs to be settled. I think this would be a very good signing with an experienced pro hopefully at the peak of his career.

I think george should invite him down for a drink? :eek:

Jay_Palace
25-06-2010, 07:58 PM
As are we.

Portsmouth won't be doing anything other than breathe for the next few years, as per the terms of their CVA.

Harry Bassett
25-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Can someone please advise. Obviously a transfer embargo is self explanatory but does that preclude us from signing players from clubs that are out of contract such as Andy Dorman?

Kirby
25-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Can someone please advise. Obviously a transfer embargo is self explanatory but does that preclude us from signing players from clubs that are out of contract such as Andy Dorman?

Yes.

I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to register any new players whilst under the embargo.

Beanie
25-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Yes.

I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to register any new players whilst under the embargo.
Seems we can sign a player - we just can't register them so they can't play a competitive game for us. As we don't have a competitive game for a while that should be fine!

northwest eagle
25-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Can see CPFC 2010 are viewing this thread, maybe they can expand?

cranesparkeagle
25-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Is this suggesting that the consortium are providing a small pot of money and allowing Burley to use the money from sales as well. If so it is part of their hand I am not too anxious for them to reveal lest it makes potential sellers or agents jack up the asking rate.

doodledandy
25-06-2010, 10:31 PM
That doesn't make sense if you are to believe Steve Parish, who made it clear that there was money available for new players, plus any transfer fee's collected would be for George Burley to spend and that any wages saved could be reallocated.

Hedgehog
26-06-2010, 12:04 AM
I think Mr. Parish said they would be taking a leaf out of the Arsene Wenger book and will only sign players after they have been throughly scouted.

This obviously may be a problem in the off season.

PeterH
26-06-2010, 12:09 AM

LOL. How?

adrenalin john
26-06-2010, 12:33 AM
I like the idea of the Doorman being on the transfer list......and if his name on the list let him in...

gold76
26-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Sounds like a sensible first signing (if it proves to be the case) I actually like the idea of 2 attack minded midfielders, espicially at home games

cockles
04-07-2010, 10:25 AM
I think Mr. Parish said they would be taking a leaf out of the Arsene Wenger book and will only sign players after they have been throughly scouted.

This obviously may be a problem in the off season.

He actually was referring to signings costing over 1m, but I suppose ideally it would be all. However, they also said they'd support GB's judgement...

Billy Rhino
04-07-2010, 11:14 AM
I like the idea of the Doorman being on the transfer list......and if his name on the list let him in...
An attack-minded doorman eh.....is his name Raoul Thomas Moat?

Il Padrino
05-07-2010, 10:03 AM
CRYSTAL Palace are closing in on two new signings - former Southend defender Adam Barrett and Welsh international midfielder Andy Dorman.
We exclusively revealed last Thursday that 30-year-old defender Barrett had agreed a move to the Eagles.
And Palace have also won the race for Welsh international Dorman, 28, who rejected a new contract at St Mirren.
Eagles boss George Burley said: "We're looking to complete a deal for Adam and his arrival will give us competition because the only centre backs we've got are Claude Davis and Paddy McCarthy.
"Andy is an attacking midfielder who can score goals and has been playing regularly in the SPL. He is out of contract and we're hoping to complete that tomorrow."
Don't miss tomorrow's South London Press for the latest news.

SpikeyMatt
05-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Cool :)

Kirby
05-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Woohooo! :lux:

EagleSE24
05-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Get working on those Dorman songs people.

sydnsteve
05-07-2010, 10:23 AM
So, have we signed him????

EagleSE24
05-07-2010, 10:24 AM
So, have we signed him????

No. But we're close. He's definitely left St Mittens and is available on a free.

kestoneagle
05-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I can't believe we've already got two over the line and a couple more close to it. Have they moved this line closer than when the Dowies were here as under their stewardship the line frequently turned out to be the equator? Now we seem to be crossing the line like the Germans crossed the Maginot line!

Beckenham Boy
05-07-2010, 10:31 AM
I can't believe we've already got two over the line and a couple more close to it. Have they moved this line closer than when the Dowies were here as under their stewardship the line frequently turned out to be the equator? Now we seem to be crossing the line like the Germans crossed the Maginot line!

The German's went around it, not over it.....

Stigma
05-07-2010, 10:32 AM

Two? Wright and?

kolinkins
05-07-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm more excited about this than many signings we make - not that I know a lot about him. But it seems to be that every season, a gem is found in the CCC in the form of an attacking midfielder. This could be ours (Ambrose doesn't count :))

thehalifaxman
05-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Great goal after a through ball by Hills
From Andy Dorman
From Andy Dorman

(to tune of monster by automatic)

Boyandy
05-07-2010, 10:42 AM
tguP14GMrCA

Oh right, it's DORman.

Sorry.

eagle101
05-07-2010, 10:46 AM
:lux:

hoskingt
05-07-2010, 10:55 AM
We havnt signed him yet have we?

EagleSE24
05-07-2010, 10:56 AM
We havnt signed him yet have we?

See page before. Burley hopes to complete the signing tomorrow.

Absolution
05-07-2010, 11:11 AM
:p

hoskingt
05-07-2010, 11:13 AM
See page before. Burley hopes to complete the signing tomorrow.

"Hopes". And we're already making songs?

DaveP
05-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I have heard excellent things about this guy and could be a fantastic signing for us.

Lets hope he turns out to be as excellent for us as Graham Dorrans was West Brom last season.

I know Dorman is outstanding on Football Manger!

Jon_C-Pal
05-07-2010, 11:54 AM
der der der der, Andy Doorman!

Kirby
05-07-2010, 12:30 PM

Quick, it's the fun police!

henryhallandhisbasque
05-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Great news if definitely confirmed.

He's had an interesting and unconventional background in terms of how his professional footballing career developed (went to University in USA and then several years playing MLS) and then coming back to the UK to play for St. Mirren.

He got noticed in Scotland having played really well there and if Palace do get him, I think we've got very, very lucky. Fingers crossed.

webbo1990
05-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Great news if definitely confirmed.

He's had an interesting and unconventional background in terms of how his professional footballing career developed (went to University in USA and then several years playing MLS) and then coming back to the UK to play for St. Mirren.

He got noticed in Scotland having played really well there and if Palace do get him, I think we've got very, very lucky. Fingers crossed.
I've heard his name a few times on Soccer Saturday when piping up for St Mirren.

A bit random, but everytime i see/hear his name i think of the nightclub scene in Knocked Up when the two girls are refused entry. One of the girls, slightly peeved, keeps shouting "you f***ing doorman...you're just a doorman you...f***ing doorman!". I laughed anyway, sorry.

EagleSE24
05-07-2010, 01:40 PM

Easy Buzz Killington. It's the optimistic new era of Palace remember :)

rhynoeagle
05-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Will Dorman Be a replacement for Ambrose or not ? They are both very similar. I personally think DA is staying, but what a great sounding Midfield. Dorman, Danns Ambrose, (Slightly more defensive mid ?). I think i'd like to see N'diaye out of our current squad to be a 4th Midfielder.

smfc1877
05-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Alright lads. St Mirren fan here (not St Mitten :p ). Andy is a good player and will probably score goals in the Championship. Heres a thought, Andy had a better scoring record in the SPL than Charlie Adam had for us in the First Division.
He can play central midfield, attack mid, either side of midfield and even a striker. Can be a frustrating player to watch, tends to shy away from a tackle but somehow still pops up at the other end and scores.
He scored a number of vital goals for us and scored 2 against Celtic when we beat them 4-0.
Unfortunately for us, he wants to move to England but good luck to him. Hope you get the best out of him.
Also note he took about a month to properly settle into our team before he started scoring goals and playing well so if he gets off to a poor start, give him a bit of time.
I see you were thinking up songs for him, here was ours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owvaqbGxIh0

Oh south london
05-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Will be very pleased if we get him.

jordanismygod
05-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Attack, attack, attack attack attack:hi:

Jim Cannon
05-07-2010, 03:07 PM
I know Dorman is outstanding on Football Manger!
Well we are laughing then:D

macstar
05-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Alright lads. St Mirren fan here (not St Mitten :p ). Andy is a good player and will probably score goals in the Championship. Heres a thought, Andy had a better scoring record in the SPL than Charlie Adam had for us in the First Division.
He can play central midfield, attack mid, either side of midfield and even a striker. Can be a frustrating player to watch, tends to shy away from a tackle but somehow still pops up at the other end and scores.
He scored a number of vital goals for us and scored 2 against Celtic when we beat them 4-0.
Unfortunately for us, he wants to move to England but good luck to him. Hope you get the best out of him.
Also note he took about a month to properly settle into our team before he started scoring goals and playing well so if he gets off to a poor start, give him a bit of time.

thanks for the info...:hi:

philsick
05-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Sounds like a good player,hope he signs.

I think we need a playmaker to knit all these talents together.We haven't replaced watson IMO.Ambrose,danns,n'diaye and potentially dorman or harper,are not playmakers and would be even better with one.

edit.just read harper has joined hull.

nathe
05-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Sounds like a good player,hope he signs.

I think we need a playmaker to knit all these talents together.We haven't replaced watson IMO.Ambrose,danns,n'diaye and potentially dorman or harper,are not playmakers and would be even better with one.

Deco? ;) :D :o

GreatGonzo
05-07-2010, 03:33 PM
We need someone to tackle.

zuper zalace
05-07-2010, 03:34 PM
thanks for the info...:hi:

good info but no thanks on the song. only Aj can have that song

KungFuCharlie
05-07-2010, 03:48 PM

Sounds like Darren Ambrose MKII, which is no bad thing.

rhynoeagle
05-07-2010, 03:49 PM
The prospect of singing Der Der Der Der Andy Dorman, brings back good memories (:

Hope we do get him tomozaa :D

Nelson Muntz
05-07-2010, 03:55 PM
edit.just read harper has joined hull.

Where that reportes? I cant find it anywhere...

mexicaneagle
05-07-2010, 04:37 PM
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/sport.cfm?id=23820&headline=Palace%20set%20to%20miss%20out%20on%20Jam es%20Harper

cpfcfan1
05-07-2010, 04:45 PM
So delighted with this, cracking player :)

Nelson Muntz
05-07-2010, 04:54 PM
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/sport.cfm?id=23820&headline=Palace%20set%20to%20miss%20out%20on%20Jam es%20Harper
ok ta.

chatham_eagle
05-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Whoops

the digger
05-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Danns may be asked to take more responsibility in the centre of midfield this season? I think he's quite capable of putting a tackle or two in.

FromSelhurst
05-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Danns may be asked to take more responsibility in the centre of midfield this season? I think he's quite capable of putting a tackle or two in.

if we play in a 4 4 2, he definatly will have to.

David Amsalem
05-07-2010, 06:22 PM

I hope so. That is his best position.

rhynoeagle
05-07-2010, 08:49 PM
I Seriously think we've got a gem here. Obviously we dont wan to build high expectations but the revies this guys getting is amazing. Can't wait.. Most exciting signing of the season (If he comes)

Owngoal
05-07-2010, 10:01 PM
:p There is just something about his name that sounds 'right' - strong feeling he will do very well for us, we may have goals coming from several players, hopefully including Clinton and Lee

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
05-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Love the way everyone is geting really excited cause he sounds like 'just the signing we should be making' yet none of us have actually got a clue if he is good or not.

:lux:

Not knocking it, just an observation.
And if Burley wants him, let's hope the deal is completed soon

EagleinOz
05-07-2010, 10:21 PM
:p There is just something about his name that sounds 'right' - strong feeling he will do very well for us, we may have goals coming from several players, hopefully including Clinton and Lee

Says the guy who chose 'Owngoal' as a name! :D

DundeeFan
06-07-2010, 01:49 AM
I highly rate Andy Dorman. He's not a Gavin Rae type of player who will battle for every scrap on the table and to be honest, the Championship is probably his level. However, that is very much a good thing as he can link-up play, contribute to a team effort and do quite a bit on his own as well.

I'd say he's in the Kevin McDonald mould, if I had to pick a player he reminds me most of but saying that, he's very much his own player and an extremely talented individual.

The only downside, and to be fair, it is a pretty big downside is that he is lazy. A quote from one St Mirren fan: Dorman got away last season with basically doing ******* nothing until he needed a few goals for his agents showreel DVD.

If he joins, I hope it works out for him and you. And I expect to see on MOTD the following year.

Gooders
06-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks to all the guys up top for sharing their views on here.. :p

philsick
06-07-2010, 08:14 AM
If the observations about him being a bit lazy and goals being his main asset,Can a midfield afford to have him and ambrose in it?And before people start,i'm not saying ambrose is lazy,but we all know the goals are a huge part of his game and tackling ect aren't.Is dorman a replacement incase ambrose is off???

elgin eagle
06-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Dougie won't stand for laziness. He'll be ok in a squad with a bit of team spirit to spur him on hopefully.

EagleSE24
06-07-2010, 08:49 AM
If Dorman and Ambrose score 40 betwixt them next season, I think we can cut them a little slack.

pardew's shorts
06-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Assuming we're going 4-4-2, or a diamond, a midfield of Dorman, Danns, Ambrose and N'Diaye is very, very good at this level.

Owngoal
06-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Says the guy who chose 'Owngoal' as a name! :D
Tribute to Tony Popovic who scored at both ends!:p

EagleSE24
06-07-2010, 09:07 AM
This suggests he's signed...Has he?

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204893

PauLo
06-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Well, if the GB says he has, that's good enough for me!

Welcome Andy (and Adam!)

Chris Leitch
06-07-2010, 09:20 AM
If Dorman and Ambrose score 40 betwixt them next season, I think we can cut them a little slack.

If we only have two people in midfield putting any effort in during the game, we'll concede 45.

KungFuCharlie
06-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Welcome Andy and Adam.

The Bishop
06-07-2010, 11:33 AM
owvaqbGxIh0

cpfcfan1
06-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Waiting for someone to say "confirmed by text"

Cmon n sign :)

KungFuCharlie
06-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Waiting for someone to say "confirmed by text"

Cmon n sign :)

Sounds pretty confirmed to me (by Burley)

cpfcfan1
06-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Did he get it confirmed by text?

Godstone Eagle
06-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Confirmed by club text..welcome Andy:p :lux: :lux:

Banger
06-07-2010, 12:06 PM
http://www.cpfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10323~2085415,00.html

cpfcfan1
06-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Fantastic :D!!!

Welcome to both

cpfcben
06-07-2010, 12:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLBS5-T5nNA&feature=fvw

james powell
06-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Great news.

Stigma
06-07-2010, 12:16 PM
http://www.cpfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10323~2085415,00.html

:)

Palestinian
06-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Excellent news - welcome Andy

james powell
06-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Excellent news - welcome Andy
And Adam!

The Bishop
Welcome Adam and Andy. Best of luck to you both in your careers at Palace.

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
:) :)

cpfcfan1
06-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Sorry but just so happy! not just at this signing but the fact we are still a club

I ******* love this club!

smfc1877
06-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Good move for Andy, good luck & hope you get the best out of him :lux:

Palace Dan
06-07-2010, 12:25 PM
2 new EAGLES!!!

Welcome gentlemen to the best club in the universe!

unsensibleLiam
06-07-2010, 12:28 PM
:lux: :lux: Really excited about Andy, heard nothing but good things about him

Welcome :)

Leap of faith
06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Welcome to you both Adam and Andy. May your stay with us be long and pleasurable.

sydnsteve
06-07-2010, 12:33 PM
As they say, Wow!

jimos_uk
06-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Very happy.

So nice to be in this position again!

CPFC_DAVE77
06-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Good news indeed.

AJ's right boot
06-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Three great signings without a signing fee!! Great work George Burley and CPFC 2010. Sooo bloody happy!!

Welcome gents!! :)

DaveP
06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
This is a signing that i'm really excited about!

Andy Dorman could be a real find, great addition to the club.

Stellavista
06-07-2010, 12:57 PM
This is a signing that i'm really excited about!

Andy Dorman could be a real find, great addition to the club.

Not that I would question others with more knowledge of the player, but isn't it a bit odd that he hasn't been 'found' until the age of 28?

monkey nuts
06-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Not that I would question others with more knowledge of the player, but isn't it a bit odd that he hasn't been 'found' until the age of 28?

Think Ian Wright was 26 playing park football

RUSSELL
06-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Think Ian Wright was 26 playing park football

He was 21 when he signed for Palace in 85, but yes he was discovered playing Sunday League football.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Wright

Wright came to professional football relatively late. Despite having had trials at Southend United and Brighton during his teens, he was unable to attract sufficient interest to win a professional contract offer. Reverting to playing for amateur and non-league teams, he was left disillusioned about his chances of a career as a professional footballer.
Crystal Palace talent scout Pete Prentice happened to see Wright in a local Sunday-league match and invited him to have a trial at Selhurst Park. Having impressed then-manager Steve Coppell, he signed professional terms for Crystal Palace in August 1985, just three months short of his 22nd birthday.

Gooders
06-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Good move for Andy, good luck & hope you get the best out of him :lux:

Cheers fella. :p

Something in the back of my mind is telling me we've signed a player from St Mirren before (a long time ago, mind).

james powell
06-07-2010, 01:36 PM
In the interview with Andy he was asked if he's managed to meet many of the new players he is joining up with, and he said "I've met a few, but not all of them".
Does that mean new players as in new to Palace or new to him?
Do we have other training with us who have almost signed but not yet?

Kipungu
06-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Welcome.

Shipp Ahoy!
06-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I think that means players at CPFC, not new players to CPFC.

Niel Smillie
06-07-2010, 02:01 PM

Something in the back of my mind is telling me we've signed a player from St Mirren before (a long time ago, mind).
Are you thinking of Steve Thomson who is currently at St Mirren?

Whyteleafe_Sage
06-07-2010, 02:05 PM

Seemingly a bit of a late developer - was at uni in the US and playing over there before he joined St Mirren. Linked with Celtic while he was there, although that probably applied to anyone half decent playing in the SPL.

If GB believes then so do I !

Welcome Andy (and Adam) :hi:

Gladys Allover
06-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Or he might have been thinking about Jamie Fullarton?

Psychokiller
06-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Or he might have been thinking about Jamie Fullarton?
We signed him from Bastia but I think he was at St Mirren previously (could have been St Johnstone?)

Dannyzz
06-07-2010, 02:09 PM
The future is bright! good signing.

SilverChevy
06-07-2010, 02:11 PM
He was 21 when he signed for Palace in 85, but yes he was discovered playing Sunday League football.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Wright

Wright came to professional football relatively late. Despite having had trials at Southend United and Brighton during his teens, he was unable to attract sufficient interest to win a professional contract offer. Reverting to playing for amateur and non-league teams, he was left disillusioned about his chances of a career as a professional footballer.
Crystal Palace talent scout Pete Prentice happened to see Wright in a local Sunday-league match and invited him to have a trial at Selhurst Park. Having impressed then-manager Steve Coppell, he signed professional terms for Crystal Palace in August 1985, just three months short of his 22nd birthday.

greenwich borough is not sunday leauge

Niel Smillie
06-07-2010, 02:11 PM
We signed a Tommy Robertson from St Mirren way back in 1966

stinky
06-07-2010, 02:16 PM
The future is bright! good signing.

The future is bright
Of that I am sure, man
Our midfield ain't light
We've signed Andy Dor-man

Beanie
06-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Wasn't Gerry Queen from there as well?

Harry Bassett
06-07-2010, 02:19 PM

Not that long ago for grown ups!

Niel Smillie
06-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Wasn't Gerry Queen from there as well?
He did play for St Mirren but we signed him from Kilmarnock

RUSSELL
06-07-2010, 02:24 PM

Take it up with Wiki then.

Niel Smillie
06-07-2010, 02:25 PM
We signed him from Bastia but I think he was at St Mirren previously (could have been St Johnstone?)
He was at St Mirren before Bastia

Stellavista
06-07-2010, 02:42 PM

He was watched playing sunday league football for Ten-Em-Bee, in Lewisham, if I remember correctly.

rainbow_child
06-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Now bring Clinton back home and bring on the Chelsea!

EAGLES EAGLES! :love: :lux:

orp pisshead1
06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
He was watched playing sunday league football for Ten-Em-Bee, in Lewisham, if I remember correctly.

Correct , an old mate played centre half for them and didn't go into league football due to racism:( , luckily times have moved on. Shame though very simular to paul Mcgrath playing style wise.

doodledandy
06-07-2010, 03:02 PM

That might well be Gerry Queen, who played at St Mirren before moving on to Aberdeen and then Kilmarnock, before signing for Palace. We also had a steady stream of player arrive from Morton during the Bert Head days.

Gerry from Sussex
06-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Seemingly a bit of a late developer - was at uni in the US and playing over there before he joined St Mirren. Linked with Celtic while he was there, although that probably applied to anyone half decent playing in the SPL.

If GB believes then so do I !

Welcome Andy (and Adam) :hi:

I think I heard that Rangers were looking at him as well. Anyway, we'll have to wait and see for ourselves. Apart from the quality doesn't it make a nice change to get our transfer business done so quickly and with so little faffing around. I'd almost forgotten what that's like. Well done GB.

EGEagle93
06-07-2010, 03:59 PM
I follow Palace and Rangers i've seen him play against the gers a few times and he looks decent. He ran the show when St.Mirren outplayed Rangers in the CIS cup final and lost 1-0 but to be hosent they didnt deserve to lose.

Woosie
06-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Good signing, delighted with this. Looking forward to the season even more now. (and the friendlies at crawley and against Chelsea)

Gooders
06-07-2010, 05:02 PM

Nope - I'm thinking one of the Scots that Bert Head brought down here in the late 60's, early 70's.

Martin H
06-07-2010, 05:54 PM

was he that centre half that could play in midfield too - bit on the slow side?

bought alongside a load of other players - Kellard etc with Birch going to Leicester too

cranesparkeagle
06-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Boy, 3 signings already. I am suitably impressed. I hope Burley has got these right. At least these guys are all in for the start of pre-season training.

henryhallandhisbasque
06-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Excellent news.

It is marvellous to see us signing players again, with a good manager and coaching staff and a professional and Palace-caring group of sensible people in charge of running the club. Hurrah!

GodstoneEagle
06-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Excellent news.

It is marvellous to see us signing players again, with a good manager and coaching staff and a professional and Palace-caring group of sensible people in charge of running the club. Hurrah!
:p

hoskingt
06-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Hoorah!!! :D

AJ
06-07-2010, 06:32 PM

He left UNI at 21, 7 years ago, then went straight into MLS.

brooklynlou
06-07-2010, 06:33 PM
He left UNI at 21, 7 years ago, then went straight into MLS.

And was a damn good player in the MLS for the Revs. I believe the reason he left was because they wouldnt give him a raise.

Braders
06-07-2010, 06:44 PM
I follow Palace and Rangers i've seen him play against the gers a few times and he looks decent. He ran the show when St.Mirren outplayed Rangers in the CIS cup final and lost 1-0 but to be hosent they didnt deserve to lose.

Good man :p

selecta
06-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Watch from about 2 mins 20 seconds. Quality strike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wbvikKRnnE

Cuddles
06-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Eat your heart out van Bronckhorst! :lux: :D

CPFC_DAVE77
06-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Didn't realise he was 28.

DaveTuttles
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
The new Dougie!! Welcome Mr Dorman:lux:

Archiebald Leitch
06-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Norm, Gerry Queen came to us from Kilmarnock I think though did play for St Mirren at some stage. As far as I know, none of the 68 - 71 Scots came from St Mirren.

CPFC_DAVE77
06-07-2010, 09:11 PM
The new Dougie!! Welcome Mr Dorman:lux:

An English-born Welshman?! :confused:

;)

cpfcben
06-07-2010, 09:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zsnQoA8_04&feature=PlayList&p=6D7F521009B0B3BD&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=15

smfc1877
06-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Heres a more recent video of Andy & our (now ex) manager talking about his abilities. (Partly in Welsh :P)

http://www.s4c.co.uk/sgorio/2210dorman

Jim Cannon
07-07-2010, 02:19 AM
Pretty sure he did play for St Mirren too

RDSdaEAGLE
07-07-2010, 03:16 AM
For anyone that doesn't have Palace World, we've transcribed elements of his interview and written an article for it...

http://fypfanzine.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/dorman-i-cant-wait-to-get-started/

smfc1877
07-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Heres a video of some of his goals in much better quality from the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8797064.stm

Big Blue Eagle
07-07-2010, 02:27 PM
I know its only Scotland.........but that looks rather impressive! I wonder what formation is in Burley's mind - all the comments in the WC have been around the death of 4-4-2 and more 4-2-2-1-1 or similar with 2 holding midfielders, 2 drifting wide and an attacking player behind the striker, Dorman fits that mould well as either the wider midfield or the behind the striker player it would seem.

MarreZ
07-07-2010, 10:08 PM
I know its only Scotland.........but that looks rather impressive! I wonder what formation is in Burley's mind - all the comments in the WC have been around the death of 4-4-2 and more 4-2-2-1-1 or similar with 2 holding midfielders, 2 drifting wide and an attacking player behind the striker, Dorman fits that mould well as either the wider midfield or the behind the striker player it would seem.

The last goal in that clip was against Celtic when we beat them 4-0. Dorman got 2 in that game.

Andy is a bit of an enigma, seems to start the seasons slow and when he is injured, he can take a while to get back onto his game, he's a total confidence player as well, tends to score his goals in bursts, so he might not score for 10 games then score 5 or 6 games in a row, but he still gets into the right positions.

Our manager seemed to struggle playing him in his best position, which most of the fans seemed to think was just off our main striker, he's one of the best forward running midfielders around, his timing is great, I dont know that the standard of players around him at Palace will be all that different to St Mirren, but with good support he could probably get 15-20 goals a season as a support striker.

We had Charlie Adam previously, and would say he was of similar quality to him, not much between them in terms of quality.

He made his first full wales start in May, so now a full international too.

Will keep an eye on Palace's results and matches on sky and hopefully he will do do do do well.

StMirrenFan
07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Dorman plays best in the centre of midfield or attacking midfield. Some people said he did nothing last season until near the end, but i think this is because he played out on the wing a lot. He doesnt have anywhere as much effect when playing on the wings. But if he is played in the right position and with the right players around him, i think he could be a fantastic signing for palace, hope he becomes a great player for yous. All the best for next season.

Seaside Eagle
08-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Dorman plays best in the centre of midfield or attacking midfield. Some people said he did nothing last season until near the end, but i think this is because he played out on the wing a lot. He doesnt have anywhere as much effect when playing on the wings. But if he is played in the right position and with the right players around him, i think he could be a fantastic signing for palace, hope he becomes a great player for yous. All the best for next season.

Thanks mate. Good luck in the SPL :p

Big Blue Eagle
08-07-2010, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the insight and here's to you breaking that Hoop/Blue Nose monopoly.

Trilby
08-07-2010, 08:27 AM
FYP has done a bit of digging to find out a bit more about Andy Dorman...

http://fypfanzine.wordpress.com/2010/07/08/what-to-expect-from-andy-dorman/

Braintree Eagle
08-07-2010, 09:13 AM
The last goal in that clip was against Celtic when we beat them 4-0. Dorman got 2 in that game.

Andy is a bit of an enigma, seems to start the seasons slow and when he is injured, he can take a while to get back onto his game, he's a total confidence player as well, tends to score his goals in bursts, so he might not score for 10 games then score 5 or 6 games in a row, but he still gets into the right positions.

Our manager seemed to struggle playing him in his best position, which most of the fans seemed to think was just off our main striker, he's one of the best forward running midfielders around, his timing is great, I dont know that the standard of players around him at Palace will be all that different to St Mirren, but with good support he could probably get 15-20 goals a season as a support striker.

We had Charlie Adam previously, and would say he was of similar quality to him, not much between them in terms of quality.

He made his first full wales start in May, so now a full international too.

Will keep an eye on Palace's results and matches on sky and hopefully he will do do do do well.

Thanks to you as well MarreZ! I am actually quite excited about seeing Mr Dorman! I was pleased to hear the St Mirren fans singing the old AJ 'der der der der Andy Dorman' chant as well! At least we don't have to find a new song for him!

Nelson Muntz
08-07-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm adding St Mirren to Dundee (Jools) and Airdrie (nice kit) to my Scottish teams.

Gooders
08-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Norm, Gerry Queen came to us from Kilmarnock I think though did play for St Mirren at some stage. As far as I know, none of the 68 - 71 Scots came from St Mirren.

That must be it then - one of them played for St Mirren, even if they didn't join us directly from there. Memory is going!

Ruskin Old Boy
08-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Indeed not ... though a quick look at the records comes up with a Tommy Robertson who came from St Mirren and played 5 matches in the 66/67 season.

Gooders
08-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Indeed not ... though a quick look at the records comes up with a Tommy Robertson who came from St Mirren and played 5 matches in the 66/67 season.

Before my time. :)

MarreZ
08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks to you as well MarreZ! I am actually quite excited about seeing Mr Dorman! I was pleased to hear the St Mirren fans singing the old AJ 'der der der der Andy Dorman' chant as well! At least we don't have to find a new song for him!

Yeah be good if you could keep it going and we can still hear it, our fans have great affection for Andy, he stayed at the club two and a half years when he could have gone after 18 months, and crucially, he never went to Rangers or Celtic.

I could see him having the same impact at Charlie Adam had in the championship last season, he does get on very well with the fans and is a lovely and loyal guy.

MarreZ
08-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Incidently, Andy should have won player of the year in the SPL last season, he was on the shortlist of 5 players, and apparently got the most votes, but the sponsors encouraged a few of the committee to change their votes to an old firm player, confirmed by a journalist up here.

LedZep2StMirrn3
08-07-2010, 01:48 PM
I see a couple of references to Andy Dorman being a lazy player.
I don't buy that at all.

What I would say is that he is not the most assertive of characters, on or off the field, and will never take the midfield by the scruff of the neck.

He is quite a shy guy and, as has been mentioned, is also a confidence player.

I think it is his passive temperament that creates the illusion of lazyiness.

He has a real chance of making an impact if used properly.

ElwissAtMemphis
08-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Presumably he was out of contract at St Mirren. So what's the story there?

Did they release him or was it his decision to move on? Were there any other clubs interested? Judging from that BBC clip, he looks pretty good; surely some rival SPL clubs were interested. Maybe the unedited highlights aren't quite so impressive.

smfc1877
08-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Presumably he was out of contract at St Mirren. So what's the story there?

Did they release him or was it his decision to move on? Were there any other clubs interested? Judging from that BBC clip, he looks pretty good; surely some rival SPL clubs were interested. Maybe the unedited highlights aren't quite so impressive.
He was out of contract. Our new manager, Danny Lennon tried to persuade him to stay but Andy was wanting a new challenge.

Celestial Empire
08-07-2010, 03:04 PM
I see a couple of references to Andy Dorman being a lazy player.
I don't buy that at all.

What I would say is that he is not the most assertive of characters, on or off the field, and will never take the midfield by the scruff of the neck.

He is quite a shy guy and, as has been mentioned, is also a confidence player.

I think it is his passive temperament that creates the illusion of lazyiness.

He has a real chance of making an impact if used properly.

Sounds just like (20 goals) Darren Ambrose. Don't worry, Neil Danns will get them both going.:p

cpalacefan88
08-07-2010, 11:15 PM
it is just so relieving to here our club is making transfers. Months ago i thought we would be playing this team:

Mann
?
Holland
Nnamani
Parsons
Djilali
Holness
de Silva
Cadogan
Zaha
Pinney

No offence to these lads but we are way better of. they may be handy still they are young and palace always has had talented young players. i hope the best for them all

rhynoeagle
09-07-2010, 09:02 AM
it is just so relieving to here our club is making transfers. Months ago i thought we would be playing this team:

Mann
?
Holland
Nnamani
Parsons
Djilali
Holness
de Silva
Cadogan
Zaha
Pinney

No offence to these lads but we are way better of. they may be handy still they are young and palace always has had talented young players. i hope the best for them all

Still looking forward to Zaha getting going. I hope GB and the Doug can get the best out of thre lad.

MarreZ
13-07-2010, 11:53 AM
The only clubs that would have interested Andy were Rangers and Celtic, and Rangers cant afford to sign him, and Celtic had no interest.

Think he wanted to come back down south though so he could make a good push for the Wales team, he started the last match and has been in the last few squads, Ill be really interested to see how he performs at Palace, but i really think he could make the same impact as Charlie adam did last year in the division. He's a very intelligent guy, and a very intelligent player.

A St Mirren legend, hopefully will go onto be a palace legend too.

Maximus Dowieus
13-07-2010, 12:12 PM
The only clubs that would have interested Andy were Rangers and Celtic, and Rangers cant afford to sign him, and Celtic had no interest.

Think he wanted to come back down south though so he could make a good push for the Wales team, he started the last match and has been in the last few squads, Ill be really interested to see how he performs at Palace, but i really think he could make the same impact as Charlie adam did last year in the division. He's a very intelligent guy, and a very intelligent player.

A St Mirren legend, hopefully will go onto be a palace legend too.

Cheers mate. Been sincerely so impressed how many of your supporters have come on here and all been so supportive of this player despite the disappointment of him moving on. Its a bit humbling really when you consider how much whinging goes on on this site!! Best wishes for the coming season and no doubt you will be able to follow Andys progress on this site if you so choose.:)

CPFC_DAVE77
13-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Cheers mate. Been sincerely so impressed how many of your supporters have come on here and all been so supportive of this player despite the disappointment of him moving on. Its a bit humbling really when you consider how much whinging goes on on this site!! Best wishes for the coming season and no doubt you will be able to follow Andys progress on this site if you so choose.:)

This.

MarreZ
21-07-2010, 11:21 AM
We will do, Palace will no doubt have a lot of new fans from up north this season, hopefully we will be doing a little trip down to support Andy in a game or two this season.

Selhurst300
21-07-2010, 11:31 AM
We will do, Palace will no doubt have a lot of new fans from up north this season, hopefully we will be doing a little trip down to support Andy in a game or two this season.

Brilliant. :lux: :lux:

orp pisshead1
21-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Good stuff :p go in block B in lower holmesdale unless your old :D

orp pisshead1
21-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Incidently, Andy should have won player of the year in the SPL last season, he was on the shortlist of 5 players, and apparently got the most votes, but the sponsors encouraged a few of the committee to change their votes to an old firm player, confirmed by a journalist up here.

Don't matter what country your in the prem league is ****ed for the real fans.

MarreZ
07-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Did Andy play today? How did he get on? He can tend to start the season quite quietly until he gets into the swing of things.

Biggineagle
07-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Sounded as if he done well, although he was not playing his usual game. Probably told by GB to hold in midfield and not do any attacking runs.

zonin2000
07-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Did Andy play today? How did he get on? He can tend to start the season quite quietly until he gets into the swing of things.
I thought he was very good. Did nothing particularl outstanding, but everything he did, he did well. He and Garvan controlled the midfield in the first half. In which position did he normally play for St Mirren?

David Amsalem
07-08-2010, 04:49 PM
He lined up in the centre much to my surprise today alongside one of our other new signings, Owen Garvan. Where did he play for St. Mirren?

At 0-0, he played an outstanding ball to Zaha, who was unlucky not to get on the end of it but other then that, was relatively quiet.

I was hopeful that he might be a bit more involved, but when he received the ball, he was composed and kept it simple.

None of this is to say he played badly, he didn't, he played well but I fully suspect that there is more to come :p

MarreZ
07-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Well our manager just couldnt pick a position, if Burley uses him to hold in midfield, he's crazy, as he is one of the best forward runners of balls in the game, in Scotland he was without doubt the player who timed his runs better than anyone. He would play on the right of mid or centre midfield, but he actually plays best when just off the striker.

Good to hear he did well though, he's a box to box midfielder and never gives up a chace, looking forward to getting down to see him soon.

MarreZ
07-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Should say when he joined with us, he seemed somewhat muted for the first month, he's a confidence player, you can see when his confidence is high, some of the goals he scored for us on youtube.

Absolution
07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Played well today. All-round solid performance!

smfc1877
07-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Good to see Andy Dorman playing well today and Stephen McGinn playing well last night :)

Gooders
07-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Should say when he joined with us, he seemed somewhat muted for the first month, he's a confidence player, you can see when his confidence is high, some of the goals he scored for us on youtube.

I have to say he reminds me a little bit of our own Dougie Freedman.

He didn't do too badly today - some nice touches and good passing but doesn't seem to be a great tackler and got bustled out of it a few times. Faded a bit second half too (like most of our team).

Definite promising signs though and I can already see exactly what you mean about him being a confidence player.

Very optimistic about him once he really settles in down here.

GeeTee
07-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Thought he did very well. Good on the ball and didn't waste possession. Quiet period in the second half was after he got pretty dazed taking a ball full in the face at point blank range.

joyce the voice
09-08-2010, 05:48 AM
It says a lot about Dorman that a fan of his former team would come on to ask how he got on. It also says a lot about St. Mirren. I'm sure we all have a soft spot for some Scottish team; mine is for Queen of the South. I hate people who like Celtic or Rangers--it's like all those Irish fans of Man U or Liverpool; gets on my wick.

Palace Dan
09-08-2010, 06:28 AM
I know who I am following the results of in the Scottish League! Good luck to your lads pal! :lux:

Eagle's Away
10-08-2010, 10:36 PM

I could not agree more. These St Mirren fans are utter class. Dare I say that I have never shown any interest in Scottish football, but will certainly look out for St Mirren's results as of now.

Eagle's Away
10-08-2010, 10:44 PM

Could not agree more. These St Mirren fans are utter class and I have finally found a Scottish team to (very much armchair) support.

pardew's shorts
19-08-2010, 07:53 PM
In the Wales squad for the forthcoming qualifiers. Good lad.

MarreZ
01-09-2010, 10:01 AM
In the Wales squad for the forthcoming qualifiers. Good lad.

Got his debut for Wales just before he left us. I see he didnt start at the weekend, I dont think Burley is using him in his best position, just behind the striker, he times his runs into the box better than any player in the SPL over the last two seasons.

He always seemed to have little purple patches for us, scoring 4 or 5 games in a row then going quiet again, so when the first goal runs in, watch his confidence soar!

Biggineagle
01-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Got his debut for Wales just before he left us. I see he didnt start at the weekend, I dont think Burley is using him in his best position, just behind the striker, he times his runs into the box better than any player in the SPL over the last two seasons.

He always seemed to have little purple patches for us, scoring 4 or 5 games in a row then going quiet again, so when the first goal runs in, watch his confidence soar!

You are right he hasnt been played in his best position, but this is due to GB having to juggle his midfield players atm.
But that hasnt stopped one or two wallys on here wanting him dropped.
I personally have been impressed with his efforts. We dont have a settled team yet so still at the experimental stage.

jams1234
01-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Even when played wide against Ipswich, he still made a magnificent run into the box, leading to scoring a disallowed goal. Really, really want him to play just behind the striker.

Woosie
01-09-2010, 10:55 AM
I think he is actually not bad in a defensive midfield type role, but would like to see him in his best position. I certainly haven't seen anything that suggests he needs to be dropped either.

GreatGonzo
01-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Even when played wide against Ipswich, he still made a magnificent run into the box, leading to scoring a disallowed goal. Really, really want him to play just behind the striker.

trouble is he and Ambrose best position is the same, central in behind the striker.

Dorman needs to take more opportunities to shhot, as do so many of our players, but i like him as a player, he is in general open play better than Ambrose for me. However at present Ambrose offers more goal threat.

Tough competition for places.

jams1234
01-09-2010, 11:02 AM
They are different players. Ambrose is more one that receives ball on edge of the box(centrally or wide), cuts in and shoots. Dorman is more one who will make runs into the box from these positions and get a good ball in. I agree Ambrose is best as an AMC, but out wide he is still great.

Ideally, the front 4 would be

???????------Dorman--------Ambrose
-----------------New striker/Counago-----

MarreZ
01-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Andy scored some great goals from us, usually from outside the box if he wasnt bursting in, he played most of his time with us at right midfield, which was still a position he was able to get forward from, but in the half a dozen games he played up front, he looked more of a natural striker than anything else.

He claims himself to be a box to box midfielder, but some players need to be told what is best for them, certainly he has a great engine on him and he will get back and defend.

GreatGonzo
01-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Andy scored some great goals from us, usually from outside the box if he wasnt bursting in, he played most of his time with us at right midfield, which was still a position he was able to get forward from, but in the half a dozen games he played up front, he looked more of a natural striker than anything else.

He claims himself to be a box to box midfielder, but some players need to be told what is best for them, certainly he has a great engine on him and he will get back and defend.

Despite being the link between midfield and attack for most of the game against Portsmouth, he was also running back but failed to get a challenge in on David Nugent as he put Pompey 1-0 up.

When he was taken off i thought it really showed in our overall play.

Elgood
01-09-2010, 04:59 PM
I think there is a huge amount of potential in the current squad. Dorman is a big part of that, I think they will start to click in the build up to the x-mas fixtures.

Could be tough going up until then. I'm sure everyone on here will be patient though :rolleyes:

gold76
01-09-2010, 08:57 PM
I think he is actually not bad in a defensive midfield type role, but would like to see him in his best position. I certainly haven't seen anything that suggests he needs to be dropped either.

I was standing near you for the Crawley game, he impressed me first half, drifted a bit second, is that the story of his career, impresses in flashes?

Worth persevering with I'd wager

MarreZ
14-09-2010, 10:45 AM
I think there is a huge amount of potential in the current squad. Dorman is a big part of that, I think they will start to click in the build up to the x-mas fixtures.

Could be tough going up until then. I'm sure everyone on here will be patient though :rolleyes:

We are going through the same thing at the moment, new manager, 4 points from 4 games, fans are starting to get on his back. The palace squad looks good but ive never been a fan of Burley, other than the little run he had as Hearts manager, he's never particularly impressed me, still, hopefully he can turn it round.

Elgood
14-09-2010, 11:10 AM
We are going through the same thing at the moment, new manager, 4 points from 4 games, fans are starting to get on his back. The palace squad looks good but ive never been a fan of Burley, other than the little run he had as Hearts manager, he's never particularly impressed me, still, hopefully he can turn it round.

He did very well with Derby and did a great job at Ipswich with limited resources. He'll be given time here because the new owners have got thier heads screwed on. Theirs always an element of luck, but if this squad works hard they'll go far. Good luck with your season :)

DaveP
14-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Andy Dorman is a very good player and we have seen glimpses of that but again he is having to adapt to a change of styles from the Scottish to english Leagues. Once he gets a goal i believe he will build with confidence.

Chris Leitch
14-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I like him. Ive been impressed so far!

(although I havent been at the last couple of games)

TC EAGLE
14-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Andy Dorman is a very good player and we have seen glimpses of that but again he is having to adapt to a change of styles from the Scottish to english Leagues. Once he gets a goal i believe he will build with confidence.

Once the team gets a run of decent results then everyone will improve, as always with us fans we gotta be 12th man starting from tonight

MarreZ
25-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Good to see Andy finally getting on the scoresheet, how's he been playing in the last month?

Expect him now to score in 4 or 5 games in a row, he doesnt score for ages, then hits a purple patch!

cpfc4evandeva
25-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Good to see Andy finally getting on the scoresheet, how's he been playing in the last month?

Expect him now to score in 4 or 5 games in a row, he doesnt score for ages, then hits a purple patch!

Personally, I don't think he is up to this level.

I am hoping he is just taking a bit of time to adjust, as to me he always seems a yard or two behind the play when we aren't in possession. And even when he is in a good defensive position, he never seems to put his foot in.

I also think it doesn't help that he plays alongside Garvan who also rarely gets his foot in.

However, going forward he looks ok and his late runs into the box seem perfectly timed. This was demonstrated on Saturday and it was also a superb header.

I hope in time he comes good but I think that once Ambrose and Danns return from injury, he will very much find himself surplus to requirements.

stinky
25-10-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm going to disagree with the above poster (not in a narky way at all, we're all entitled to our opinions). I like him but feel he's not been played in a position that suits his strengths. I think he's been told to sit in the middle with Garvan and try and 'dictate' our play from there, but I feel he is much better pushed further up the pitch, making runs into the box. I've noticed a couple of occasions he's done this before, and it's not quite worked out right, he also hit the bar recently I believe with a shot from outside the area (though I may be wrong, or it may have been a save from the goalie?), and also had a very good goal disallowed for offside (after making a run into the box etc).

I think if he's told he can push up more and try and score, rather than get his foot on the ball in midfield and try and dictate/create, then he could be better for us

nottsunieagle
25-10-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm going to disagree with the above poster (not in a narky way at all, we're all entitled to our opinions). I like him but feel he's not been played in a position that suits his strengths. I think he's been told to sit in the middle with Garvan and try and 'dictate' our play from there, but I feel he is much better pushed further up the pitch, making runs into the box. I've noticed a couple of occasions he's done this before, and it's not quite worked out right, he also hit the bar recently I believe with a shot from outside the area (though I may be wrong, or it may have been a save from the goalie?), and also had a very good goal disallowed for offside (after making a run into the box etc).

I think if he's told he can push up more and try and score, rather than get his foot on the ball in midfield and try and dictate/create, then he could be better for us

Agreed - i too think he looks a threat when able to push up.

LLCOOLSTEVE
25-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Disagree
Agree
Agree

:)

hoskingt
25-10-2010, 10:25 AM

Hopefully this will be the case - now he's scored hopefully he will get a handful over the next few games.