PDA

View Full Version : David Wright Signs two year deal (official)

a9lpc
25-06-2010, 02:41 PM
CRYSTAL Palace boss George Burley could be set to make Ipswich defender David Wright his first signing at Selhurst Park.
The South London Press understands the 30-year-old - whose deal at Portman Road is up this summer - is a target for the Scot, who was appointed Eagles chief last week.
Wright started his career at Crewe before a 500,000 switch to Wigan. He joined Ipswich for 200,000 in 2007 and has made over 400 career appearances.
Leeds have also been linked with the Warrington-born stopper.

Ralph
25-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Fine.

Excowboy
25-06-2010, 02:49 PM
I hope this doesnt mean we're losing Clyne

elgin eagle
25-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Palace to sign ex-ipswich player shock. Well Alan Lee came good. :D

cdm61
25-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Ipswich defender David Wright is on the hunt for a new club after being told by Roy Keane that he has no future at Portman Road.

Wright has been in and out of the Town side this season but has started the last two games at right-back and was confident of being offered a new deal.

He told the Ipswich Evening Star: "It has come as a shock and I'm devastated. I thought I'd done enough to be offered a new deal."

He added: "I saw the manager on Tuesday and he said some nice things about me, but that he was looking in a new direction.

"It is not a decision I agree with, but I have to respect it."

http://www.givemefootball.com/championship/ipswich-defender-looking-for-wright-move

cpfcben
25-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Please not Clyne.

the kooch
25-06-2010, 02:56 PM
What is he, right back or centre? Or even LEFT BACK?

PalaceSince2004
25-06-2010, 02:59 PM
He is one of those Championship players who does his job and is not really recognised as much

zuper zalace
25-06-2010, 03:01 PM
He is one of those Championship players who does his job and is not really recognised as much

yeah whatever

rainbow_child
25-06-2010, 03:02 PM
yeah whatever

?? :eek:

CPFCNathan
25-06-2010, 03:02 PM
The fact we're being linked with people is good enough for me, if he turns out to sign for us AND be good then that's a bonus !

Mad Raschic Ken
25-06-2010, 03:05 PM
We have a squad to re-build. Not everyone we sign will be a first choice player. If this guy is available on a free it sounds like he'd be a good addition. We will need to sign a good few more players than we lose if we are to have adequate cover. Doesn't mean anyone will be leaving.

The Gerry Queen
25-06-2010, 03:06 PM

More likely as a replacement for Clint Hill I'd say and I'm fine with that.

hong_kong_hg
25-06-2010, 03:08 PM
With a surname like that, can't go wrong at Palace :)

BulletEagle
25-06-2010, 03:10 PM
The fact we are being linked with players is great, but I hope it is to improve our squad rather than replace Danns/Clyne

JohnInTheUSA
25-06-2010, 03:16 PM
We simply don't have much of a squad. With Butts rumoured to be off to Sheff Utd then we need cover at right back.

Shipp Ahoy!
25-06-2010, 03:16 PM
and so it begins again :lux:

Anyone else find this story oh so satisfying :p

Adlerhorst
25-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Never heard of him.

This David Wright is quite famous

http://www.blueworkhorse.com/images/stories/slideshow/david-wright.jpg

a9lpc
25-06-2010, 04:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wright_(footballer)

The Bishop
25-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Primarily he's a right back but has also played left back, centre half, winger, and sweeper (although not all at the same time ;) ).

Could be a strong indication that Butterfield is on his way. Or maybe a replacement for Ertl.

Freddy Kurz
25-06-2010, 04:52 PM
He's certainly a right-sided full-back, so he could replace Clyne, but haven't
Burley and Freedman said they only want players who want to play for
Palace, and all the indications so far are that Clyne wants to play for
Birmingham City?

But if we have to lose Clyne he has to go for the right price. Yet
we can be reassured that few can be as good a judge of a right-back
as Burley, in which position he played well over 600 games in a 20
year career.....

CPFC_DAVE77
25-06-2010, 05:08 PM
yeah whatever

What he said made sense, what's wrong?

Kirby
25-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Solid Championship full-back. Would be a decent addition IMO.

Think he played for Wigan in the Premiership briefly.

the kooch
25-06-2010, 05:21 PM
What is he, right back or centre? Or even LEFT BACK?

Just checked on FM 2010, he's all of them!! :lux:

chatham_eagle
25-06-2010, 05:24 PM
all the indications so far are that Clyne wants to play for Birmingham City?

Are they? He hasn't said anything and for all we know it could just be an invention on the tabloids' part.

Adlerhorst
25-06-2010, 05:30 PM
He's a third baseman.

prizesucker
25-06-2010, 05:37 PM
I see him as Lawrence's replacement. With Claude's red mist and the possibility of Paddys shoulder going again, we are short of centre backs. ML is not being renewed i dont think so a back up centre half isnt a bad idea.

glaziers fan
25-06-2010, 05:52 PM
WHO?

kolinkins
25-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Butter's replacement I imagine.

BulletEagle
25-06-2010, 05:56 PM
All the indications so far are that Clyne wants to play for Birmingham City
News to me

Kirby
25-06-2010, 06:12 PM
I see him as Lawrence's replacement. With Claude's red mist and the possibility of Paddys shoulder going again, we are short of centre backs. ML is not being renewed i dont think so a back up centre half isnt a bad idea.

Problem is he's definitely more of a full-back than a centre-back. Like Kolinkins says, he's probably more of a replacement for Butts.

IMO both would be handy!

woz1974
25-06-2010, 06:14 PM
I was hoping we would sign young promising players from league 2 and 3.

Seaside Eagle
25-06-2010, 06:18 PM
I was hoping we would sign young promising players from league 2 and 3.

We need some experience in the side too. We've lost Ertl, Derry, and probably Hill. In terms of spirit, commitment and motivational power; we've just lost a lot. They weren't technically brilliant, but they always gave 110%.

We can't just sign younger players, who may or may not turn good. By all means, sign them. Just don't look at them alone.

Freddy Kurz
25-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Are they? He hasn't said anything and for all we know it could just be an invention on the tabloids' part.

You could be right, but haven't yet heard Clyne or his agent deny the
persistent rumours. Would love him to stay, but it's vital that he
really wants to play for us.

etu
25-06-2010, 06:50 PM
We've got, what, 6 defenders? Lawrence, Davis, McCarthy, Hills, Clyne, Butterfield?

A solid Championship utility defender doesn't have to be replacing anyone - we just need one full stop! Then we can worry about replacing the people going.

cockles
25-06-2010, 06:56 PM
We've got, what, 6 defenders? Lawrence, Davis, McCarthy, Hills, Clyne, Butterfield?

have we?

Freddy Kurz
25-06-2010, 07:00 PM
News to me
Today's Adder states that:
"the futures of Ambrose and Clyne will be decided
next week, with Deorge Burley "holding crunch talks with the unsettled duo"

Perhaps reporter Daniel Jones is flying a kite, but he specifically mentions
Clyne "as another who has been linked with a move away from SE25, with
Birmingham City leading the chase for the highly rated youngster."

On Clyne, Dougie Freedman says "Nathaniel is a fantastic young player,
and we both feel that he is still nowhere near his full potential. We've
spoken with him and told him he's at the right club to develop and
become an even better player."

"The manager has already stated that he rates Darren highly and wants
to keep him. But we only want players who want to play for Crystal
Palace, if any players have already made up their mind to leave then
there is very little we can do to stop them."

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
25-06-2010, 07:13 PM
CRYSTAL Palace boss George Burley could be set to make Ipswich defender David Wright his first signing at Selhurst Park.
The South London Press understands the 30-year-old - whose deal at Portman Road is up this summer - is a target for the Scot, who was appointed Eagles chief last week.
Wright started his career at Crewe before a 500,000 switch to Wigan. He joined Ipswich for 200,000 in 2007 and has made over 400 career appearances.
Leeds have also been linked with the Warrington-born stopper.

got that of south london press :afro:

Kai
25-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Solid Championship player. Wouldn't mind him if they're releasing Butts.

jhc
25-06-2010, 07:32 PM
A solid Championship utility defender doesn't have to be replacing anyone - we just need one full stop! Then we can worry about replacing the people going.

Lawrence & Butterfield out of contract and unlikely to be here come 1st July.

Beanie
25-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Why should it? We're a bit short at the back, especially if Hill leaves, just getting more than one player per position.

Beanie
25-06-2010, 09:02 PM
You could be right, but haven't yet heard Clyne or his agent deny the
persistent rumours. Would love him to stay, but it's vital that he
really wants to play for us.
Why should he - best he stays quiet, that way the press can't put their own spin on what he says. He's a contracted Palace player - surely he'd only need to say anything if he wants a move.

Chris K
25-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Transfer rumours are like buses, you wait ages then etc etc...

cpfcfan1
25-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Would not be a propper transfere season if we do not sign an ex 30 year old ipswich player, kuqi, lee, now wright..

cockles
25-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Would not be a proper transfer season if we do not sign an ex 30 year old Ipswich player, Kuqi, Lee, now Wright..
EFA

But Roy 'Chavhunter' Keane is renowned for throwing away decent players willy nilly. Pulp manager. I'd trust Burley over this guy any day.

Hedgehog
26-06-2010, 12:07 AM
I would like to think that 30 year old journeymen coming to Palace was a thing of the past.

hughff
26-06-2010, 12:44 AM
I think he's a solid player and wouldn't object to him as an addition to the squad rather than a replacement (exception, Matt Lawrence has done his dash and should be released to find a club further down the league.)

If we're looking to Ipswich, how about this guy, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Smith_(footballer_born_1990)) who's had a solid World Cup and is a left sided defender.

kiwieagle
26-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Played in the same rep team as my son he was something special then, his Father took him back to England to further his progress. Would be a great signing has had a good world cup.

Ron Dogers
26-06-2010, 06:49 AM
All transfers are about value

If this fella is cheap and modest wages then fine. It's when we blow all the money we have, Kuqi, Lee etc (who were and still are decent players of course) on older guys with high wages and limited resale potential that is wrong!

That's when we should look for frustrated at not playing young prem reserves or hungry lower league players

Adlerhorst
26-06-2010, 07:11 AM
David Wright hit a home run for the Mets last night.

gold76
26-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Played circa 400 games at 30, highly experieced & a solid player to have on a free. I like what Freddy K says about DESIRE, it's always good to sign players like this who want to play for the club.

I'm not saying he has been, but if Clyne's head has been turned by a premier club, surely it's best to let him go for top money?

I thought Danny B would be offered a new deal, maybe I'm too sentimental, but it would be sad to lose such a Palace stalwart come 1st July

rhynoeagle
26-06-2010, 10:10 AM
I would like to think that 30 year old journeymen coming to Palace was a thing of the past.

3 Parent clubs and a tiny spell at norwich on loan is Hardly being a Journeyman.

I'm not to bothered about their age when they are a defender.

Your statement would make some sense if it about a striker whos aged 30.

David Amsalem
26-06-2010, 10:19 AM
and all the indications so far are that Clyne wants to play for Birmingham City?

You're not normally one for speculation...

Remember everybody, we have to build the squad. It's not all about the XI.

David Wright would definately be a good player for the squad and would also be able to challenge for a place in the XI.

macstar
26-06-2010, 10:35 AM
not a bad player. ex-crewe??

Wingy_CPFC
26-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Crunchie
26-06-2010, 10:56 AM
not a bad player. ex-crewe??

Yep.

http://www.crewealex.net/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10414~8624,00.html

Name: David Wright
Nationality: English
Date of Birth: 01/05/1980
Height: 5' 11" (180cm)
Weight: 10st 9lbs (67.64kg)
Previous
Clubs: Crewe, Dorchester T (loan), Norwich City (loan), Wigan Athletic, Ipswich Town
Position: Defender

Born Warrington. 1/5/80

David Wright has emerged into a competent right back, but during his time at the club has also been used as a left-back, sweeper, winger and centre-half.

He made his full league debut in the televised match at Sheffield United in August 1998 and scored his first goal at West Brom in April 1999. The former Crewe Youth team captain made 39 appearances last season and it would have been more - but for a niggly stomach injury.

Wright enjoys getting forward and is capable of creating and scoring more goals because he gets into such threatening positions down the flanks. He scored his first goal for four years away at Chesterfield last season in a 2-0 win.

The last bit made me laugh.

Freddy Kurz
26-06-2010, 12:17 PM
You're not normally one for speculation...

Remember everybody, we have to build the squad. It's not all about the XI.

David Wright would definately be a good player for the squad and would also be able to challenge for a place in the XI.

Still don't favour speculation, but Dougie Freedman's quoted remarks in
yesterday's Adder sadly suggest there is "no smoke without fire" about
the futures of Ambrose and Clyne, otherwise why is our Asst.Manager
drawing such public attention to their future status?

I've always supported trying to keep as many of last season's fighting
squad as Palace can afford and want to stay at the club, and that
particularly applies to the above-mentioned players.

pauldrulez
26-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Clyne has not said he wants to go.

Neither has Ambrose.

I'd imagine all of our players were unsettled over the summer, but now we're back to normal and everything is back in place

Freddy Kurz
26-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Clyne has not said he wants to go.

Neither has Ambrose.

I'd imagine all of our players were unsettled over the summer, but now we're back to normal and everything is back in place

What is Dougie talking about then?

chatham_eagle
26-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Could you write up what Dougie said please? Don't think the article is available online. Cheers.

Freddy Kurz
26-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Could you write up what Dougie said please? Don't think the article is available online. Cheers.

Please see my post of 8pm yesterday

The report in "Advertiser Sport" by Daniel Jones is
headlined "Duo in crunch talks" and sub-titled:
"Burley hopes to persuade Ambrose and Clyne to stay at Selhurst"

chatham_eagle
26-06-2010, 12:42 PM
I'vefound it - http://www.sportcroydon.co.uk/footballnews/Duo-crunch-talks/article-2343838-detail/article.html
I suppose he's just covering his own back, he wouldn't come out at this moment in time and say that they're either going or not. The bit about only wanting players who want to play for Palace is pretty bog-standard managerial chat.
I suppose we'll know soon enough anyhoo.

jj62255
26-06-2010, 02:01 PM
What is Dougie talking about then?

This is all he said about Clyne:

Nathaniel is a fantastic young player, and we both feel that he is still nowhere near his full potential. We've spoken with him and told him that he's already at the right club to develop and become an even better player.

How does that sound like he's leaving?

The 19-year-old refused a move to Wolves earlier in the year, but after winning the Championship Young Player of the Year for the second year running Clyne may now think the time is right for a move to the top flight.

This is just speculation from whoever wrote it

David Amsalem
26-06-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm sure that Birmingham are interested, but I wouldn't take that as he is likely to be off.

BulletEagle
27-06-2010, 10:26 AM
From SLP:

Link (http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=22852&headline=Exclusive:)

Exclusive: Ipswich defender David Wright agrees Palace deal

CRYSTAL Palace boss George Burley will make his first signing tomorrow - with Ipswich defender David Wright expected to put pen to paper on a deal.

The experienced 30-year-old, who can play right across the backline, has agreed to join the Eagles.

We exclusively revealed that Wright was a target for Burley on Friday.

The Warrington-born stopper started his career at Crewe before a 500,000 switch to Wigan in 2004.

Wright joined Ipswich in 2007 but is out of contract on July 1 and has not been offered fresh terms.

Don't miss Tuesday's South London Press for the full story.

cpfcfan1
27-06-2010, 10:28 AM
replacement for Hill then?

BulletEagle
27-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Maybe just getting a bigger squad. Or replacing Clyne :(

SpikeyMatt
27-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Cool :)

Welcome David.

BulletEagle
27-06-2010, 10:32 AM
But does that mean you will have to change the thingy under your username, Matt?

cpfcfan1
27-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Hope its a replacement for Butts, would hate to lose Clyne :(

SpikeyMatt
27-06-2010, 10:34 AM
But does that mean you will have to change the thingy under your username, Matt?

Nope. I've always liked Butts (and I cannot lie).

BulletEagle
27-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Hope its a replacement for Butts, would hate to lose Clyne :(

You hope? Keep them both, get rid of Hill.

hamge
27-06-2010, 10:37 AM
:lux:

eagle101
27-06-2010, 10:44 AM
:)

BulletEagle
27-06-2010, 10:47 AM
I like the whole new players thing

jams1234
27-06-2010, 10:47 AM
'Can play right across the backline'. That sounds good, for me he's a replacement for Lawrence/Hill more than anything if that's the case.

So, with his signing we have in defence:

DR:Butterfield, Clyne, Wright.
DC: Davis, McCarthy, Lawrence, Wright.
DL:Wright, Clyne.

Makes sense to me, perhaps another left-back is necessary though.

David
WRIGHT
WRIGHT
WRIGHT

BulletEagle
27-06-2010, 10:49 AM
'Can play right across the backline'. That sounds good, for me he's a replacement for Lawrence/Hill more than anything if that's the case.

So, with his signing we have in defence:

DR:Butterfield, Clyne, Wright.
DC: Davis, McCarthy, Lawrence, Wright.
DL:Wright, Clyne, Hills

Makes sense to me, perhaps another left-back is necessary though.

David
WRIGHT
WRIGHT
WRIGHT

EFA

jams1234
27-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Sorry, forgot about him. Besides, he's out till December approx anyway.

emmatheeagle
27-06-2010, 10:53 AM
played nearly 30 games for Ipswich last season, decent freebie

cpfcfan1
27-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Clyne, Davis, Paddy, Wright it is then?

Freddy Kurz
27-06-2010, 11:10 AM
This is all he said about Clyne:

Nathaniel is a fantastic young player, and we both feel that he is still nowhere near his full potential. We've spoken with him and told him that he's already at the right club to develop and become an even better player.

How does that sound like he's leaving?

The 19-year-old refused a move to Wolves earlier in the year, but after winning the Championship Young Player of the Year for the second year running Clyne may now think the time is right for a move to the top flight.

This is just speculation from whoever wrote it

Whoever wrote it? Read the report in the Adder and you will clearly
find it was written by Daniel Jones, who has been writing several pieces
for the paper recently. Don't shoot the messenger mate, but Jones's
report in Advertiser Sport is clearly headlined: "Duo in crunch talks"

Who told Jones that and why? You are fully entitled to bury your
head in the sand and don rose-tinted spectacles, but it would make me
a lot happier to receive Burley's reassurance that both Ambrose and
Clyne, two of our best performers last season, are safely signed up
for the forseeable future........

the kooch
27-06-2010, 11:19 AM
First new signing in years :lux:

BulletEagle
27-06-2010, 11:25 AM
First new signing in years :lux:

Err, Darren Ambrose?

Psychokiller
27-06-2010, 11:36 AM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=304&fid=152&sty=2&act=1&mid=2121805124&vid=50694

this is a really stupid decision by RK, He should be the first name on the teamsheet, this really baffles me.

Interesting. Appears that the Ipswich fans like him but that cowardly wanker they have as a manager doesn't.

BulletEagle
27-06-2010, 11:39 AM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=304&fid=152&sty=2&act=1&mid=2121805124&vid=50694

Interesting. Appears that the Ipswich fans like him but that cowardly wanker they have as a manager doesn't.

Good. The way that quote is worded suggests they like him because he is good, not because of his personality, which can only be positive for us.

Palace Kebab
27-06-2010, 12:00 PM
One of the posters on their boards seems to think Danny Butterfield will be going the other way. Take with a huge pinch of salt, but does sound feasible. Keane didn't like Wright according to their boards. Danny B can probably get more money at Ipswich than Palace. So maybe?

jj62255
27-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Actually I think it was written by Neil Everitt, it's his name beside the picture, but that really doesn't matter. You mention the headline, that's what journalists do, they need to make up an interesting headline that will make people read the article.

He probably pulled the headline from this quote from Dougie: George has already spoken with many of the players on the phone and will be meeting them face-to-face next week.

And just how am I burying my head in the sand? All I said was that nowhere in the article is Dougie hinting at any of them wanting to leave. All he says is that if players don't want to play for CPFC, then they are not needed and as far as I know neither Ambrose nor Clyne has come out and said anything like that.

Of course they could both leave, but we won't know until Burley has had the chance to speak with them, no matter what the papers say.

Edit: On topic this is a decent signing, I really just hope he's here to replace Lawrence or play left back, would really hate to see Clyne go. Nice to read those quotes from Ipswich fans, I believe he was pretty highly rated when he was at Crewe, so will look forward to see him in red and blue.

Psychokiller
27-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Neil Everitt is a photographer, not a journalist

jj62255
27-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Neil Everitt is a photographer, not a journalist

My bad then, just strange there's no author listed.

Chillo
27-06-2010, 01:10 PM

Freddy, you could be right, you could be wrong, but it's not beyond journo's to write up stuff with a catchy headline that doesn't match the words they have to go with it, is it?

Many journo's fall into stereotype sentences, as we know - Eagles soar or plummet; xxx manager will be sweating on the fitness of yyyy; they use the cliches much of the time.

"Duo in talks" isn't as sexy and eye-catching as "Duo in crunch talks".

He could have writtent the headline as "Duo to have talks next week which may of may not be sorting out their immediate (or longer term) futures"

Doubt any of us would have read it, if he had.

CPFC_DAVE77
27-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Good signing. Pleased with that.

Braders
27-06-2010, 01:31 PM
my housemate is a town fan and after speaking to him this morning i'm pleased with this signing. it seems to be a case of the fans rating a player and being confused as to why keane has not used him.

basically keane is a united **** and we seem to have signed a decent player. oh and man utd = wankers.

David Amsalem
27-06-2010, 01:39 PM
And so the rebuilding begins. Happy with this.

...should it definately happen.

Excowboy
27-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Nice to get a first team championship player on a free. Thanks must go to Roy Keane for being a hotheaded fu*kwit

the kooch
27-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Has there been an offical confirmation?

maxpower
27-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Should be tomorrow going by the SLP

the kooch
27-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Cheers. I hope this does not mean that Clyne is going.

David Amsalem
27-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Hopefully he is Butterfield replacement and has been purchased to bring in competition for Clyne.

cpfcfan1
27-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Few comments from the 606 board

As itfcptc said, a very solid defender. I would have him in my team all day long. We don't sell our best players but apparantly we do release them.

A very very solid defender. In my view I do not know why he was released. One of the best most consistent fullbacks in the division

Woosie
27-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Great to be able to sign players again. I think this guy will be a solid purchase, able to play all across the back four, that must have been a major factor in signing him. Hopefully it doesn't spell the end of Butterfield's time at the club.

Seaside Eagle
27-06-2010, 07:43 PM
This seems, for Ipswich fans, to be the equivalent of us losing Paddy on a free.

Makes no sense to them.

Oh well, brilliant for us. We get a first team Championship player, for nothing!

Thanks Roy; you dopey twat.

Adlerhorst
27-06-2010, 08:24 PM
David Wright has just hit another home run for the Mets.

Owngoal
27-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Sounds as if he is a better replacement for Clint Hill and can play across the back line - Clyne can play in either FB position - a decent sounding first signing, may he be the first of several

Absolution
27-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Much needed defensive cover, hopefully he will sign.

DaveP
28-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Again, just to echo some sentiments about David Wright, this is what a season ticket holder mate of mine who goes to Ipswich had to say about him.

" Definately a very good signing for you, too nice a bloke for Keane to keep, stupid decision, by far the best right back in the division"

Sounds like we may well be picking up a very good player here.

adrenalin john
28-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Has there been an offical confirmation?

Didn't know he was a reborn, perhaps he is a friend of Jules as well as Jesus

GodstoneEagle
28-06-2010, 08:41 AM
sounding remarkqably positive

Stigma
28-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Go on then..

Stigma
28-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Suddenly starting to get excited about the new season..with this serious talk about new players coming in :)

TC EAGLE
28-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Me thinks this is just media speculation unless Dougie and Phil Alexander have been doing the negotiations cos Burley is on holiday he left the day after the press conference is is due back today to talk to the likes of clyne butts and Ambrose

EagleSE24
28-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Again, just to echo some sentiments about David Wright, this is what a season ticket holder mate of mine who goes to Ipswich had to say about him.

" Definately a very good signing for you, too nice a bloke for Keane to keep, stupid decision, by far the best right back in the division"

Sounds like we may well be picking up a very good player here.

So we'll have the 2 best RBs in the league plus Danny B...?

Kirby
28-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Clyne, Davis, Paddy, Wright it is then?

That's an awesome back-line. I think we might see another CB coming in for Davis though.

Welcome David! I am delighted with your signing :lux:

Kirby
28-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Me thinks this is just media speculation unless Dougie and Phil Alexander have been doing the negotiations cos Burley is on holiday he left the day after the press conference is is due back today to talk to the likes of clyne butts and Ambrose

Just 'cos he's on holiday doesn't mean he can't do deals with players.

He knows Wright already and will know exactly what he's getting.

Dobbo
28-06-2010, 11:49 AM
At the start of the 2009–10 season, Wright fell out of favour with manager Roy Keane. He did, however, work his way back into the team at left back and on 31 October scored against Derby County at Portman Road to give Ipswich their first win of the season

Bazz Lightyear
28-06-2010, 12:08 PM
A message from an Ipswich season ticket holder at work

"Wright was a very popular player for the blues, he plays left or right back and was part of our defence when we turned it round last season but then got left out for no apparent reason then wasn't seen again....who knows with Keane!!"

Looks like a sensible piece of business if true :p

Big Blue Eagle
28-06-2010, 12:10 PM
With Hills out until Xmas or later, this makes sense. Wright at LB, Clyne at RB, McCarthy and ???? in the centre - yes I know we have Davis but we need someone less "robust"!

hamge
28-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Burley has confirmed that he is looking to sign David.

macstar
28-06-2010, 01:03 PM
That's an awesome back-line. I think we might see another CB coming in for Davis though.

Welcome David! I am delighted with your signing :lux:

ooooohhhh, maybe not Claude Davis. He's a hoofer who cant play football. Fonte back please!!

macstar
28-06-2010, 01:06 PM
he was good at crewe.

thehalifaxman
28-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Burley has confirmed that he is looking to sign David.

...NUGENT!!!!!!!! :p :p :p :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

Ruskin Old Boy
29-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Due to have his medical yesterday.

adrenalin john
29-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Due to have his medical yesterday.

Future past conditional, has he signed yet?

I hope he starts as sub against Chelsea, just so when he's about to make his debut appearance from the bench I can go all hippy and proclaim 'wright on'

It is sad what amuses me

TC EAGLE
29-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Jesus QPR gets ex palace players we get ex Ipswich David and Richard Wright, Alan Lee, Darren Ambrose and Malcolm Webster goalkeeping coach oh and Burley

jobiinthelastmi
29-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Hills and Lawrence are currently out of contract aren't they?

Absolution
29-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Hills and Lawrence are currently out of contract aren't they?Think Hills has another year.

Gerry from Sussex
29-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Jesus QPR gets ex palace players we get ex Ipswich David and Richard Wright, Alan Lee, Darren Ambrose and Malcolm Webster goalkeeping coach oh and Burley

That's okay - just as long as we don't get Roy Keane

SJ'sLoveMonkey
29-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Just been confirmed by club text, 2 year deal

kolinkins
29-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Excellent signing. He's a very good replacement for Ertl and Lawrence.

Oh south london
29-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Great stuff. Hopefully the first of many more signings this summer. :lux:

The Bishop
29-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Welcome David. Hopefully the first of several to join this pre-season :p

Abjekt
29-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Big signing by the sounds of it. Nice.

hamge
29-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Crystal Palace have signed defender David Wright on a two year contract.

Wright, 30, is George Burley's first signing as Palace boss and joins after playing at Portman Road for Ipswich Town since 2007.

A full interview with David will be on Palace Player on Wednesday.

unsensibleLiam
29-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Great signing. :)

elgin eagle
29-06-2010, 04:20 PM

We're back in the game.

EagleSE24
29-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Great news!

GodstoneEagle
29-06-2010, 04:21 PM

We're back in the game.
^

JamTheEagle
29-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Best of luck David :p.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
29-06-2010, 04:22 PM
I hope the James Harper rumours are true as well!

PauLo
29-06-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm just happy we're able to sign people again :lux:

james powell
29-06-2010, 04:25 PM
:lux: David Wright Wright Wright.

Godstone Eagle
29-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Ive forgotten what it feels like to make a new signing, it feels great:D

Welcome David :) :lux: :lux:

Seaside Eagle
29-06-2010, 04:28 PM
:lux: David Wright Wright Wright.
:lux: David Wright Wright Wright

hamge
29-06-2010, 04:30 PM

AJ's right boot
29-06-2010, 04:30 PM
:lux: Welcome DW!!

JamTheEagle
29-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Players fit to play left-back - 1 :lux:

Braders
29-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Just been confirmed by club text, 2 year deal

Excellent news, thank you for passing it on.Welcome David,great piece of business Mr Burley :lux: :lux:

pumaspalace
29-06-2010, 04:39 PM
^ :p

rainbow_child
29-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Just think how exciting the kick off to the new season is going be with new manager and a few more new signings and a nice freshness about the place!

Thank you CPFC2010...

David Wright Wright Wright!

:lux: :love: :lux:

BringBackSasa
29-06-2010, 04:46 PM

David Wright David Wright David Wright.

We ain't Arsenal.

Stavros 69
29-06-2010, 04:53 PM
God it's been a long time. Welcome David. The first of the new generation.

Ant.Palace
29-06-2010, 04:56 PM

Kuqi32
29-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a solid addition - David Wright Wright Wright :lux:

CPFCNathan
29-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Get in !! So this is what it feels like to sign someone :)

Welcome David !

Voldo
29-06-2010, 05:15 PM
HUZZAH

LLCOOLSTEVE
29-06-2010, 05:19 PM
A few years ago when at crewe he was very highly thought of

philsick
29-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Someone coming in feels kind of unreal:lux:

Stigma
29-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Yay..a signing..and looks like a decent one even :lux:

917L
29-06-2010, 05:38 PM

We ain't Arsenal.

Thank god someone realised :p

PalaceSince2004
29-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Decent signing! Well Known Championship player. Welcome abroad Wright

TheCharmer
29-06-2010, 05:55 PM
good signing, i wonder where he'll play.

CPFC BORN &BRED
29-06-2010, 05:56 PM
The re-building begins on the pitch lets hope the start of continous good news from now with players signing to stay and a couple more too come in to give us a squad to maybe challenge in the top half of the ccc.Welcome DW and well done GB and the fab four

adrenalin john
29-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Great news. Good to see us moving so quickly.

Can't say I have ever noticed him as a player but I have gut feeling this is a good acquisition and I certainly like the price (assuming wages are sensible)

Joooe
29-06-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm happy. :)

spt1978
29-06-2010, 06:40 PM
If his wages are reasonable this is a good signing.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
29-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Excellent news, thank you for passing it on.Welcome David,great piece of business Mr Burley :lux: :lux:

:p

Eaglette
29-06-2010, 07:00 PM
:lux: Great feeling to sign a player again!! Very exciting and looks a solid player, bring it on.

TheMexicanHorse
29-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm shocked - we have signed a player!

Ralph
29-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Good, solid, sensible signing. Thank you CPFC2010.

elgin eagle
29-06-2010, 07:46 PM
If Ipswich fans rate him and Richard Wright, then it sounds like another couple of mistakes from the football genius that is Roy Keane.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
29-06-2010, 08:00 PM
replacement for hill

Ralph
29-06-2010, 08:02 PM
If Ipswich fans rate him and Richard Wright, then it sounds like another couple of mistakes from the football genius that is Roy Keane.

That reminds me - we should make an enquiry for Jordan Rhodes. Would be a great signing for us. Mind you, as you say, with Roy Keane's ineptitude we should go for Connor Whickham.

Bazz Lightyear
29-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Sensible signing of a solid professional :p

FromSelhurst
29-06-2010, 08:35 PM
solid signing.

if we are to sell clyne for 2m plus and wright on a free is his replacement its pretty good business.

I.Flyer
29-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Hope its not going to be a case of 'Two Wrights making a wrong, or Wong' :eek: What is it with Palace that we quite often have duplicates i.e. Hill, Hills, Hall, Halls - and all at the same time if I remember correctly.

Anyway, great news and I wish him a successful future with us.

Chillo
29-06-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm shocked - we have signed a player!

...... still waiting for DaNuge. :sob:

MFC
29-06-2010, 10:59 PM
http://www.cpfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10323~2080961,00.html

signed up

Sussex Eagle
29-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Seems a very solid signing to me.

AddiscombeEagle
29-06-2010, 11:16 PM

We ain't Arsenal. spot on

Kirby
29-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Welcome David Wright David Wright David Wright :)

Kirby
29-06-2010, 11:50 PM
That reminds me - we should make an enquiry for Jordan Rhodes. Would be a great signing for us.

Jordan Rhodes who left Ipswich a year ago to join Huddersfield?

thehalifaxman
30-06-2010, 08:00 AM

Why is this btw I thought we had to wait 28 days from the CVA meeting? Not heard an announcement saying the embargo has been lifted. I'm sure it's posted on here somewhere I just can't find it?!?

paulglavin
30-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Why is this btw I thought we had to wait 28 days from the CVA meeting? Not heard an announcement saying the embargo has been lifted. I'm sure it's posted on here somewhere I just can't find it?!?

We can agree terms and sign contracts but not get them registered with the Football League until the embargo is lifted.

cockles
30-06-2010, 08:21 AM

Jaime Peters was by far their best player the last time we played them. Unfortunately they had him signed up on a long term deal. He's kinda their Danns. But who knows when the Chavhunter is going to fall out with him.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
30-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Great news :lux:

adrenalin john
30-06-2010, 09:58 AM
By leaving, Clint has made my day. I certainly take wright over the hill. In fact the signing is almost as tasty as ambrose from the valley. I am really looking forward to them milking the combination with Butterfield and no doubt others are n.clynned to agree. The only thing that could upset team spirit is if the McCarthy like enquiry into who drank Julian's Peroni when he was on the Danns floor gets out of hand. Mann, I know when it flared up Andrews said Lee vit out but I don't beleive that Davis really said fvck off N'daiye.

adrenalin john
30-06-2010, 10:00 AM
ps I forget to mention, I tried to write the above as poem but just couldn't get to scann all.

cranesparkeagle
30-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Does this mean at least 1 out of Clyne or Butterfield is going. 3 right backs would be a lot

GreatGonzo
30-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Has Butterfield signed a new deal yet? He may not be part of the equation.

Beanie
30-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Does this mean at least 1 out of Clyne or Butterfield is going. 3 right backs would be a lot
He can play lb as well and even cb - replacing Hill or simply a very useful, versitile defender.

Voldo
30-06-2010, 10:28 AM
EXCLUSIVE : Wright : I Can't Wait To Get Started
Posted on: Wed 30 Jun 2010

George Burley has made his first signing as Crystal Palace manager with defender David Wright agreeing a two year deal and the former Ipswich player cannot wait to get started.

Having played the majority of his career in the country's second tier, Wright is hoping his experience will allow the Eagles to push themselves back up the league after a tough campaign last year.

Cont....

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10323~2081250,00.html

I like this very much

"Alan Lee spoke to me and said that the dressing room last year was unbelievable, how close knit they were considering the circumstances and I think that will stand us in good stead for this season."

and

"He [Burley] told me he wants to play a passing game, moving the ball around quickly which suits me and he will be bringing in more players to suit the way he wants to play."

CPFCNathan
30-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Passing game ?! YES PLEASE ! Can't wait, roll on 7th August !

GreatGonzo
30-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Passing game ?! YES PLEASE ! Can't wait, roll on 7th August !

Get your arse to pre season games! ;)

kolinkins
30-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Looking forward to it.

Seaside Eagle
30-06-2010, 03:39 PM
"He told me he wants to play a passing game, moving the ball around quickly which suits me and he will be bringing in more players to suit the way he wants to play."

OH YES!

monkey
30-06-2010, 03:47 PM
An ipswich supporting friend of mine says he's a good player and she can't believe keano didn't seem to rate him and ended up letting him go.
Her judgement is good enough for me.:cool:

celery stick
30-06-2010, 03:50 PM
We're signing people?!
Awesome.

pistol
30-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Anyone with the name of wright linked to palace must be a good omen, by the way what ever become of david white who played for us in the 90,s?,i seem to remember he was a bit like dartford dave

pardew's shorts
01-07-2010, 10:52 PM
People keep saying he'll do a job at centre-back or left-back.

He's pretty much exclusively a right-back though.

Think we're still in the market for a left-back - there's some good PL loans available in that position.

elgin eagle
06-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Is Wright out for Leicester? Because the loanee Bennett has just returned from injury, so we might need some cover at left back, apparently wright can play there.

rhynoeagle
06-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Hes a doubt, Hammy.

elgin eagle
06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
bench probably then.

jhc
06-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Is Wright out for Leicester?

I'm afraid so:(

Mickey Gilley
06-08-2010, 11:19 AM
People keep saying he'll do a job at centre-back or left-back.

He's pretty much exclusively a right-back though.

Think we're still in the market for a left-back - there's some good PL loans available in that position.

He looked very good at left back against Brentford. I'd say he can do a temporary job there, but only if he's fit!