PDA

View Full Version : Cheap/Free solutions to the left-back problem.

chatham_eagle
26-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Assuming Hill leaves as expected and with Hills out until December, this is one position which needs addressing.

David Buchanan - Bury (Yet to sign new contract)
Rates himself as one of the best left-backs in League 2. Is 24 so I think compensation would have to be agreed. Can also play in midfield.
Anyone know any more about him?

James McEveley - Derby (Released)
Has enough experience at this level and is still only 25. Apparently Leeds are interested. Mind you every comment I've rad by Derby fans suggest that he's cack.

Any more?

m355y
26-06-2010, 11:47 AM
We pulled out of a deal for McEveley because he asked for too much money. Not too gutted - Derby fans thought he was awful.

We have Alan Sheehan available, but he's been utter dog-turd for us and has a shocking attitude. Tom Kennedy from Rochdale looked like the bargain of the century, but I think Leicester have got in there first.

Palestinian
26-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Tom Kennedy from Rochdale looked like the bargain of the century, but I think Leicester have got in there first.

Agree with you - but won't be able to compete with Leicester

suits_you
26-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Rates himself as one of the best left-backs in League 2.

Would we really want a player that rates himself as the best?

SteveyHawking
26-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Posted this on the Clint Hill thread.

"There are a few left backs available on a free at the moment. Jon Harley, Tony Capaldi, Kerrea Gilbert, Toni Kallio, James McEveley, Franck Queudrue are available so if George wants to go down that route to replace Hill and/or Hills there are options."

doodledandy
26-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Would we really want a player that rates himself as the best?
Why not? If he has that much confidence in his own ability, he has to consistently prove it to the fans, or he makes himself out to be a complete clown.

In any case, it's not about who we mere mortals want, it's about how George Burley perceives their attitude and ability as player and I have total confidence him to make that call and in time, if the fans will be patient, Palace will be successful.

I just hope the fans don't forget what has just happened at the club and return to their old ways, of barrack the manager and players if the club is not in the top six after five weeks, because this is going to take time! :p

Pub Idol
26-06-2010, 06:06 PM
what happened to Wiggins ? Does he get a look in at Norwich?

the kooch
26-06-2010, 06:08 PM
On loan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_van_Aanholt

cpfc4evandeva
26-06-2010, 06:24 PM
I doubt he'd be cheap but I thought Tommy Spurr looked Wednesday's best player by miles (if you exclude Tudgay).

Jason
26-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Assuming Hill leaves as expected and with Hills out until December, this is one position which needs addressing.

Rates himself as one of the best left-backs in League 2. Is 24 so I think compensation would have to be agreed. Can also play in midfield.
Anyone know any more about him?

Funny you should mention Buchanan. I was thinking only the other day that he'd be a good option. At 24, he'd be on a free (24 is the point at which clubs can no longer claim compensation), and has done well at a lower level and could look to step up. With the injury to Hills, he would (assuming Clint Hill leaves :sob: ) get a good chance to prove himself, and would (unless he doesn't make the grade) leave us with two players competing for the left back slot going forward. Given where he's coming from, he shouldn't be asking mega wages either.

Don't know enough about Buchanan himself to know if he is CCC standard, but cetainly fits the profile of the TYPE of player we should be looking at. Inexpensive, with something to prove, and young enough to develop further.

cpfc4evandeva
26-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Problem is, last time we bought a left back/left winger from League 2, he turned out to be one of the worst player I've ever seen in a Palace shirt.

And I can only remember him playing about 45 minutes!

cpfcfan1
26-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Jeff Hughes was that not?

cpfc4evandeva
26-06-2010, 07:03 PM

Correctemundo.

Infact, the bloke who would have played behind him at left back was even worse, and he was from League 1!

elgin eagle
26-06-2010, 07:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du_Wei_%28footballer%29

Jason
26-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Problem is, last time we bought a left back/left winger from League 2, he turned out to be one of the worst player I've ever seen in a Palace shirt.

True,that's the risk you take with lower league players. However, it's a question of playing the odds. If you sign 4 out of contract lower league players on free transfers and wages of 2k per week each, it only takes 1 to work out and you're quids in. If 2 do well, you really are laughing.

We've spent most of the last ten years going down the route of paying good money for "proven, experienced" players, and that didn't really end well for us. Unless you have a LOT of cash to throw around, you have to look for the hiden jems, and accept that a few duds wil pass through the door in the process.

Crazy Eagle
26-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Scott Laird from Stevenage would be a cracking signing. can't see Wallace selling him for less than 250K though unfortunatley

Chris K
26-06-2010, 10:51 PM

Sorry but Jeff Hughes > Karic, he was truelly shocking. Was it Neil Ashton we got on loan from Fulham? He was toilet as well

the kooch
26-06-2010, 10:57 PM

Didn't we also sign Boyce from League 2 (or 1)?

Psychokiller
26-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Pretty sure Clyne played there for the youth team. We could move him over I guess. Kenny Brown and Kevin Muscat didn't do too bad for us as right footed left backs. Then we've got Butterfield and possibly Wright if he signs to cover the other flank.

Slimbloke'H'
27-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Pretty sure Clyne played there for the youth team...
He played on the right predominantly.

cpfc4evandeva
27-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Didn't we also sign Boyce from League 2 (or 1)?

League 1. But he was a free transfer.

I was harsh on Jeff Hughes, he was one of the worst. Not the very worst.

And yeh buying lower league players is a gamble, but I'm pretty sure that Jeff Hughes was not a particularly cheap gamble.

kettle
04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Would Kerrea Gilbert be any good? He is on a free.

rhynoeagle
04-08-2010, 01:15 PM
The Plymouth guy.. He will be cheapish i guess.

ChickenDipper
04-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Ryan bertrand or patrick van aanholt on loan from chelski

jb888
04-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Another player I highlighted on the HOL earlier in the summer. Wold be a great signing IMO

elgin eagle
04-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Another player I highlighted on the HOL earlier in the summer. Wold be a great signing IMO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerrea_Gilbert

telodaja
04-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Amazed that he has not been snapped up by anyone yet.

elgin eagle
04-08-2010, 07:20 PM
I think Gilbert is more of a right back, and as we definately have an imbalance already it will probably be better to try and find a naturally left sided defender. The Plymouth guy sounds promising if he can be got cheaply enough.

doodledandy
04-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Amazed that he has not been snapped up by anyone yet.

The issue with all freebies that GB would know and we don't is what their salary expectation would be and if that is outside GB/2010 budget, then they will not go after players, although I suspect they do contact the players agent to see if there is room for negotiation.

telodaja
04-08-2010, 07:53 PM
The issue with all freebies that GB would know and we don't is what their salary expectation would be and if that is outside GB/2010 budget, then they will not go after players, although I suspect they do contact the players agent to see if there is room for negotiation.

Agree, wasn't suggesting that we should have signed him. I just cannot understand why he is has not signed for any club. Few times I have seen him on the box looked like a good player and would have thought there would be Premier clubs interested in him.

cpfcfan1
05-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Burley says he hopes to have a left back signed today

cpfcfan1
05-08-2010, 08:44 AM
PALACE boss George Burley is hoping to wrap up a deal for a left back today to solve his defensive headache for Saturday's Championship opener against Leicester.

New signing David Wright is struggling with a hamstring strain and is unlikely to be fit for the weekend. That leaves teenager Nathaniel Clyne as Burley's only available full back.

With last week's expected transfer of Tony Capaldi falling through at the final minute Burley was reluctant to name the defender, but admitted he was desperate to get it done before Saturday.

"We are hoping to tie up a deal for a left back today," he said. "We have been working hard all week to strengthen the squad as we are very short of numbers.

"But our hands have been tied a little bit with the administration situation."

The Eagles are still waiting for the Football League share to be transferred to CPFC 2010. Until that is done the club remain in administration.

Palace had an initial offer for Plymouth Argyle left back Onismor Bhasera knocked back earlier in the week.

*See tomorrow's Croydon Advertiser for six pages of Palace coverage including a double page pull-out squad poster and interviews with Martin Long and Wilfried Zaha

http://www.sportcroydon.co.uk/palacenews/Burley-chases-defender-hole-left/article-2494356-detail/article.html

Maidstoned Eagle
05-08-2010, 08:47 AM
"But our hands have been tied a little bit with the administration situation."

The Eagles are still waiting for the Football League share to be transferred to CPFC 2010. Until that is done the club remain in administration.

They wanna pull their bloody fingers out!

Stigma
05-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Wonder who it will be in the end..

rhynoeagle
05-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Wonder who it will be in the end..

Still going for Ousafanne or the Plyouth guy i reckon.

kabbott
05-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Why can't we give our own Matthew Parsons a go?

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
05-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Julian Bennett.

ChickenDipper
05-08-2010, 02:47 PM
bennett was a class player before he got injured!
awesome signing if gets fit and stays fit.

doodledandy
05-08-2010, 02:49 PM

Ask George, I'm sure he knows why!

nickkris
05-08-2010, 02:57 PM

It would be throwing him in a the deep end, but he looked decent v Sutton and Dulwich Hamlet.

doodledandy
05-08-2010, 04:07 PM
It would be throwing him in a the deep end, but he looked decent v Sutton and Dulwich Hamlet.

He's another one for the future and not for the immediate. It's not his footballing ability holding him back, it's more the physical side (especially at full back), but I'm sure he will toughen up and get there in the next 12 to 24 months.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
05-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Ask George, I'm sure he knows why!
I know set to sign means nothing as a palace fan but lets hope:
http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=28162&headline=Exclusive:%20Palace%20set%20to%20sign%20F orest%20defender

rhynoeagle
05-08-2010, 04:42 PM
I know set to sign means nothing as a palace fan but lets hope:
http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=28162&headline=Exclusive:%20Palace%20set%20to%20sign%20F orest%20defender

Seriously !!!!!

They would of looked at the Bennett thread by now. Stop posting articles that are old news.