PDA

View Full Version : Richard Wright

LeeH
28-06-2010, 11:35 AM
competition for Speroni or replacement? Or poorly put together story?

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=16647

Second Wright Set for Palace
Mon 28th Jun 2010 12:27

TWTD understands that released keeper Richard Wright will opt to join fellow former Blue David Wright at Crystal Palace next season. Defender Wright is set to be unveiled as George Burley’s first Eagles signing today.

Town let both Wrights leave at the end of last season with the former England keeper subsequently holding talks with West Ham and also reportedly interesting Charlton.

The 30-year-old ex-Arsenal and Everton keeper probably favours a move to Selhurst Park ahead of a return to the Hammers because he is more likely to play regular first team football for the Championship side.

Former Town keeper-coach Malcolm Webster joining George Burley’s staff may also have a bearing on Wright's decision.

kolinkins
28-06-2010, 11:36 AM
If he is a replacement, lets hope it is because Jules is off to the Prem, and not because Burley doesnt fancy Jules as number 1.

Kirby
28-06-2010, 11:37 AM
He would have to be a moron not to want Jules as number 1!

If Wright signs I would assume Jules is off :( Not a bad replacement though.

For what it's worth I just heard the Richard Wright rumour from an Ipswich fan aswell.

orp pisshead1
28-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Thought we needed a back up keeper anyway? Don't think speroni will leave.

brooklynlou
28-06-2010, 11:51 AM
If he is a replacement, lets hope it is because Jules is off to the Prem, and not because Burley doesnt fancy Jules as number 1.

When I read the article first thought that popped in my head is that Jules is off to the Prem.

With all the Scwartzer stories it would be interesting to see if Fulham are interested in Jules.

Kirby
28-06-2010, 11:52 AM
I don't think it's any coincidence that we're signing a right-back and a keeper, when Clyne and Speroni are our most sellable assets.

It makes financial sense to get a few million for the pair, and bring in 2 good quality replacements for nothing.

George Burley has been told he can use any money generated from player sales, and 3-4m could be very useful to bolster the squad in other areas.

Boyandy
28-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Are we still allowed to give him stick for shouting at that ball boy?

This makes sense to me. Isn't this Julian's last year of his contract? As much as he obviously has an affinity for the club, I'd expect him to move on at the end of next season if we're not pulling up any trees (which is unlikely). If we did lose him, RW would be a decent replacement who'd have got used to the team/set-up by then.

brooklynlou
28-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Thought we needed a back up keeper anyway? Don't think speroni will leave.

He didnt join the Hammers because he didnt want to sit on the bench. The only reason he would join us is if he's playing every day. If he joins, odds are Jules is getting sold.

Psychokiller
28-06-2010, 11:54 AM
I think it's just a case of a reporter putting two and two together. Burley used to work with Wright so therefore he must want to sign him. I seem to remember that we were "about to sign" Chris Morgan and Rob Kozluk when Colin took over too.

Excowboy
28-06-2010, 11:58 AM
If he does come, hopefully it will be to find a new bench to sit on. Losing Speroni would be a disaster, and we do need a decend back-up for a couple of years until Mann has matured.

GreatGonzo
28-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Poor article, seeing as Hammers are selling Rob Green and we have one of the highest rated keepers in our division i would like to know how they work out he is more likely to play at Selhurst?

Son of Ron
28-06-2010, 12:03 PM
If we can get both Wright's for free and then sell Clyne and Speroni for lets say a combined 4m then I think thats business we, as a newly financially astute club, have to do.

Harry Bassett
28-06-2010, 12:10 PM
In any capacity Richard Wright would not be a good signing after a promising start he went backwards and stayed there.

Beanie
28-06-2010, 12:29 PM
He didnt join the Hammers because he didnt want to sit on the bench. The only reason he would join us is if he's playing every day. If he joins, odds are Jules is getting sold.
He could simply feel that he'd have a better chance of playing ahead of Speroni than ahead of Green. It would make a change to have two keepers where one isn't SO much better than the other that there is no effective competition and we actually don't have to panic is one get's sent off or injured.

Abjekt
28-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Gah, hope Jules ain't leaving :(

cpfcben
There is no point in signing Wright if we are planning to keep Speroni.

If he does come it suggests that Jules is off!

:(

AJ's right boot
What ever happened to Ian Turner?

elgin eagle
28-06-2010, 12:32 PM
If we can get both Wright's for free and then sell Clyne and Speroni for lets say a combined 4m then I think thats business we, as a newly financially astute club, have to do.

Yep, they will have effectively paid for the ground. Whilst you always want to improve your squad, those two are probably pretty good replacements. If we can get a few more freebies with a potential sell on value as well, we'll do ok next year hopefully, and make 4-5 million into the bargain.

Beanie
28-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Just as financially astute to bring in two decent (if aging) players as cover for free. Selling Clyne, and especially Speroni who has said he has no wish to go anywhere, won't be so astute if our paper thin squad isn't up to the season and we go down. Two seasons in league 1 and that 4m is lost in TV money and gates. Lets get the cover in before we start selling people off.

zonin2000
28-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Jesus wept. Is this the best that journalists can come up with? Morgan, Kenny, Kozluk and Montgomery... did they ever sign?

Beanie
28-06-2010, 12:36 PM

Why? Is Charlie Mann really ready to be back up? We need to replace Flahaven.

elgin eagle
28-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Just as financially astute to bring in two decent (if aging) players as cover for free. Selling Clyne, and especially Speroni who has said he has no wish to go anywhere, won't be so astute if our paper thin squad isn't up to the season and we go down. Two seasons in league 1 and that 4m is lost in TV money and gates. Lets get the cover in before we start selling people off.

Richard Wright is only 32, still quite young for a keeper. Ipswich fans seem quite gutted about losing both of them. Its not certain that Clyne or Speroni will be off anyway, but if they want to go, we will need some half decent replacements/cover.

KungFuCharlie
28-06-2010, 12:48 PM
I don't think it's any coincidence that we're signing a right-back and a keeper, when Clyne and Speroni are our most sellable assets.

It makes financial sense to get a few million for the pair, and bring in 2 good quality replacements for nothing.

George Burley has been told he can use any money generated from player sales, and 3-4m could be very useful to bolster the squad in other areas.

Got to agree with you there.

Signing two players on frees to cover 2 players leaving for millions is good business, and far from a footballing disaster. Is Richard Wright good enough to get into a play-off chasing side? Definitely.

3-4m will go a long way this summer.

macstar
28-06-2010, 12:58 PM
i have no problems with Speroni leaving to play for a premier lge club or maybe rangers/celtic...he deserves his chance...

just hope qpr or others in our league dont snap him up!!

IpswichEagle
28-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Wright surely wouldn't join Palace to be back-up to Speroni?

However i really don't rate him as a keep at all, so i hope this story is just rumours or alternatively that Speroni stays and never ever gets injured.

I've seen Wright play quite a lot and i think he is one of the worst keepers in the league.

Lords Eagle
28-06-2010, 01:13 PM
I hope two wrights don't make a wrong!

thehalifaxman
28-06-2010, 01:21 PM
A Wright bit of confusion going on I reckon! We're signing the defender and some Journos were lazy and ran a story about the one they've heard of!

Freddy Kurz
28-06-2010, 01:23 PM

However i really don't rate him as a keep at all, so i hope this story is just rumours or alternatively that Speroni stays and never ever gets injured.

I've seen Wright play quite a lot and i think he is one of the worst keepers in the league.

It's surely no coincidence that Richard Wright, between 1994 and 2001,
while playing for George Burley at Ipswich enjoyed the most successful
period in his entire playing career playing 240 games in just 7 seasons,
before signing for Arsenal. He actually played all 46 League games
for Town in three successive seasons between 1997 and 2000. Yes
he certainly does look as if he could be "one of the worst keepers in
the league".......?

Glazier69
28-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Can we also sign Bradley Wright-Phillips? We can then chant
"Bradley, Richard & David Wright, Wright, Wright" !

AddiscombeCPFC
28-06-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure we can afford the wages of an ex premiership (and england?) keeper just to be the back up. If he comes then I think it'll be because we are going to lose speroni.

a9lpc
28-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Hope this doesn't mean jules is off :( but in all fairness, top quality replacement if he is being sold.

IpswichEagle
28-06-2010, 01:43 PM
It's surely no coincidence that Richard Wright, between 1994 and 2001,
while playing for George Burley at Ipswich enjoyed the most successful
period in his entire playing career playing 240 games in just 7 seasons,
before signing for Arsenal. He actually played all 46 League games
for Town in three successive seasons between 1997 and 2000. Yes
he certainly does look as if he could be "one of the worst keepers in
the league".......?

Well he ranks in my bottom 5.

I've seen him in about 20 odd matches and have never been in the least bit convinced. Have no idea what happened to him after his move to Arsenal. Seems to have massive indecision and is quite error-prone. Too long picking up his wages on the bench i suppose.

I'm not denying he was one of the best young keepers around 10 years ago, but not anymore.

Just don't rate him at all.

thehalifaxman
28-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Hope this doesn't mean jules is off :( but in all fairness, top quality replacement if he is being sold.

^This

Jules is part of the Palace and we love him but if he gets a stab at the prem he should take it. Can't help but feel we'd be a stab closer to not getting back there without him mind but thats about 4 seasons away minimum I'd think

sydnsteve
28-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Once a brilliant keeper, now a pretty poor one. Plenty of players do this (Jeffers, Oster) so it is pointless saying he was good once. It is how he is now that matters, and from what I've seen that is nowhere near as good as Jules.
Very probably very lazy journalism involving two Wrights.

Shipsisourking
28-06-2010, 01:56 PM
i heard this from the father in law yesterday, but i was drinking rather alot of cider at the time. just phoned him and he reckons its a done deal with R W coming to us, when asked to quote his source, he said "ahh, wait and see".

The Bishop
28-06-2010, 02:09 PM

He won their (Ipswich Town's) player and supporters player of the year award in 2008/09.

Despite being injured for a few months this season past, he's also been linked with a possible move to West Ham.

Overall, doesn't sound too bad to me. Good, solid, and experienced keeper. If we do sign him then I feel it will be to provide healthy competition for Jules.

Jim Cannon
28-06-2010, 02:30 PM
just hope qpr or others in our league dont snap him up!!

I would hope an experienced manager like GB has enough sense to know selling one of prized assets to QPR would not go down well, especially when we don't have to do it now. If however he can get them to pay well above the odds it could prove a masterstroke a la Morrison to Brum of course.

kettle
28-06-2010, 03:42 PM
off topic, but still goalkeeper related...

what is Iain Turner up to these days? We had him on loan from Everton and he looked very good indeed. Haven't heard about him for ages - is he still there? Would he be worth a look (if Jules goes)?

He is Scottish as well I think, so would suit GB!

bigend1
28-06-2010, 03:51 PM
I hope two wrights don't make a wrong!

:( :p

Shipp Ahoy!
28-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Non story, I reckon.

cpfcben
28-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Why? Is Charlie Mann really ready to be back up? We need to replace Flahaven.

Wright will not want to play back to Speroni. We don't want another unhappy keeper. That is what he will be if he comes to Palace. No one is going to be better than Jules.

I would rather go for a younger keeper who would be happy to be understudy for at least a year or two.

GrahamS
28-06-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure we can afford the wages of an ex premiership (and england?) keeper just to be the back up. If he comes then I think it'll be because we are going to lose speroni.

Completely agree. If Burley wants a reserve keeper then it would make sense for him to be on the same wages as Flahaven or lower - I imagine Wright would be on/wanting higher wages than Flahaven. Therefore either Wright doesn't join or we're losing Speroni.

FromSelhurst
28-06-2010, 07:47 PM
If we were to sell Jules for 2m or even more and get Wright in for nothing, thats pretty shrewd business as long as Wright's wages aren't too high.

doodledandy
28-06-2010, 08:07 PM

I think there is every need to find a back up to Speroni and why shouldn't that be 33 year old Richard Ian Wright? Flahaven has already said he's off, because he wants first team football and Palace need someone with experience.

pete eagle
28-06-2010, 08:15 PM
I think there is every need to find a back up to Speroni and why shouldn't that be 33 year old Richard Ian Wright? Flahaven has already said he's off, because he wants first team football and Palace need someone with experience.

1. Because his wages would be too high for a back-up.
2. Because his wages would be too high for a back-up.
3. Because his wages would be too high for a back-up.

Any other reasons required? Unless he will be replacing Speroni, he will not be joining Palace as we would be spending far too much on a back-up keeper. Someone like Flahavan again who is dependable but cheap will be what we are looking or even looking to bring in a young keeper to keep Speroni on his toes.

cpfcfan1
28-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Maybe its part of Burleys new formation to play two keepers in goal

Beanie
28-06-2010, 08:23 PM
If we were to sell Jules for 2m or even more and get Wright in for nothing, thats pretty shrewd business as long as Wright's wages aren't too high.
Not if it leaves us with an inferior keeper. Can't stop the ball with a bank balance. If we needed the money, fine, if Speroni wanted a move, he's earned it. As we don't need the money now (unless SP is telling porkies) and Speroni want's to stay (unless he's telling porkies), what;s the point?

Gooders
28-06-2010, 08:39 PM
What ever happened to Ian Turner?

He lost an i.

cpfcfan1
28-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Iain Turner was a very good keeper, only played five games though according to wiki?

sheepy
28-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Wright is a quality championship goalie. Jules is better. If Jules wants off then Wright is a good replacement however I'd rather keep Jules.

Think that sums it up

SpikeyMatt
28-06-2010, 09:26 PM
He lost an i.

:lux:

Clapham Grand
28-06-2010, 09:37 PM
get the Polish Arsenal keeper on loan (who was at Brentford last season) if we need a no.1 keeper?

ChristalPalace
28-06-2010, 09:51 PM
get the Polish Arsenal keeper on loan (who was at Brentford last season) if we need a no.1 keeper?

Wojciech Szczesny (had to Google it for the spelling ;)). For those who haven't heard of him its pronounced "Woy-Check Sir-Ches-knee" and he is bloody good.

I've heard rumblings that Arsenal rate him so highly that they think he could replace Fabianski as the second choice keeper at the Arse and even possibly challenge Almunia for the number one jersey before too long.

Russ_uk
28-06-2010, 11:54 PM
i bloody hope not, ive lost count the amount of times Jules has saved us games - not to mention player of the year twice on the trot.

ALthough if we do get offfered a decetn figure 2,000,000+ the Wright would suffice i guess...

Still done want it to happen tho.

Bobsta
29-06-2010, 12:26 AM
i bloody hope not, ive lost count the amount of times Jules has saved us games - not to mention player of the year twice on the trot.

ALthough if we do get offfered a decetn figure 2,000,000+ the Wright would suffice i guess...

Still done want it to happen tho.

3 times on the bounce!!

Celestial Empire
29-06-2010, 12:40 AM
If Burley is planning to sell off our best players (Speroni, Clyne) to finance more Ipswich type journeymen (back to the future or what ?) I can see the "new beginning" lustre coming off very, very quickly.

FromSelhurst
29-06-2010, 03:53 AM
Not if it leaves us with an inferior keeper. Can't stop the ball with a bank balance. If we needed the money, fine, if Speroni wanted a move, he's earned it. As we don't need the money now (unless SP is telling porkies) and Speroni want's to stay (unless he's telling porkies), what;s the point?

Wright wouldn't be a crap replacement and it would leave money to invest elsewhere.

NZsparky
29-06-2010, 04:49 AM
If Burley is planning to sell off our best players (Speroni, Clyne) to finance more Ipswich type journeymen (back to the future or what ?) I can see the "new beginning" lustre coming off very, very quickly.
But if both players have made a decison to leave what can he do? I am not saying they have, but both surely would have premier clubs touting themselves to their agents who in turn would be polishing the money jar and printing out the get rich quick cards. Although in truth Julian might want to step up for different reasons such as to test himself at the top level again before his time runs out.
Anyway, would be gutted to lose either but it will happen eventually.

AJ's right boot
29-06-2010, 04:50 AM
He lost an i.
Ouch, a one i goalie isnt good.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
29-06-2010, 05:24 AM
Ouch, a one i goalie isnt good.

Except of course, for Gordon Banks.

OUR BALL
29-06-2010, 06:04 AM
Schwarzer to Arsenal,Green to Fulham,Jules gets his Prem chance at West Ham,Wright and a mil for us for Jules.Could be worse.

Te Pouakai
29-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Can't help feeling that Burley's war chest given to him by CPFC2010 will be limited, at least in the first year of new tenure. That means Burley will have to wheel and deal with the player resources and cash he has available, whether this seems unpalatable to the fans or not.

It was widely expected when we were on the brink of extinction that Jules would leave. Indeed, given the rave press he received during our fight for survival, I suspect his head would have been turned towards other "options" had we gone under as a club. This alone might have fuelled his personal ambition, not least because a transfer to a premiership club might secure financial future for himself and his family. That's the sort of reality you simply cannot ignore.

I suspect it is a real possibility that Jules might go for a "big fee", which would allow Burley to strengthen the outfield, an area so underresourced last season that we were struggling to fill the subs bench for some games.

Losing a 100pct quality keeper for a big fee and getting a 90pct championship quality keeper for free is worth how many goals saved per season in comparison? Two, five, ten? It is impossible to say.

But having inadequate resources in the outfield, especially with experienced battlers like Derry having gone, would surely leave us even more exposed than losing Jules, much as none of us want to see him leave.

I think in this first season under CPFC2010, some tough choices such as this suggestion might well have to be made. All will be revealed in due course, and we the fans will just have to live with it. It isn't our money being spent on acquiring the club or in establishing the playing staff. Just continue to be supportive with whatever we end up with, favourite players departing or otherwise.

Icy
29-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Why anyone takes any notice of anything written in the Daily Mail is beyond me.

Freddy Kurz
29-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Well he ranks in my bottom 5.

I've seen him in about 20 odd matches and have never been in the least bit convinced. Have no idea what happened to him after his move to Arsenal. Seems to have massive indecision and is quite error-prone. Too long picking up his wages on the bench i suppose.

I'm not denying he was one of the best young keepers around 10 years ago, but not anymore.

Just don't rate him at all.

Perhaps he needs to be re-united with George Burley, under whom he played
at his best? That's the point I was trying to make. Certain players just
need the right manager in order to excel*, and Wright might just be one
of those.
*Kenny & Warnock

Braintree Eagle
29-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Can't help feeling that Burley's war chest given to him by CPFC2010 will be limited, at least in the first year of new tenure. That means Burley will have to wheel and deal with the player resources and cash he has available, whether this seems unpalatable to the fans or not.

It was widely expected when we were on the brink of extinction that Jules would leave. Indeed, given the rave press he received during our fight for survival, I suspect his head would have been turned towards other "options" had we gone under as a club. This alone might have fuelled his personal ambition, not least because a transfer to a premiership club might secure financial future for himself and his family. That's the sort of reality you simply cannot ignore.

I suspect it is a real possibility that Jules might go for a "big fee", which would allow Burley to strengthen the outfield, an area so underresourced last season that we were struggling to fill the subs bench for some games.

Losing a 100pct quality keeper for a big fee and getting a 90pct championship quality keeper for free is worth how many goals saved per season in comparison? Two, five, ten? It is impossible to say.

But having inadequate resources in the outfield, especially with experienced battlers like Derry having gone, would surely leave us even more exposed than losing Jules, much as none of us want to see him leave.

I think in this first season under CPFC2010, some tough choices such as this suggestion might well have to be made. All will be revealed in due course, and we the fans will just have to live with it. It isn't our money being spent on acquiring the club or in establishing the playing staff. Just continue to be supportive with whatever we end up with, favourite players departing or otherwise.

Agree with this 100%. As much as I don't want to see Speroni leave, if we get the right fee and that money is re-invested in outfield players, then this may well be the best option all round.

LeeH
29-06-2010, 09:00 AM
They ran a small article about him on the Beeb last season - he looked very good and very hungry to do well.

Excowboy
29-06-2010, 09:10 AM

I tend to think it's better to have a permanent keeper on the staff as no 1. Goalies are so important in organising the defence from set-pieces and communicating with defenders in tight spots. The prospect of having a young keeper on loan as our number one, however keen and talented, gives me premonitions of leaking unnecessary goals due to misunderstandings.

TheCharmer
29-06-2010, 09:14 AM
not surprised that Speroni might be off, heard he was a while ago. Wright would seem a good Championship replacement.

Kirby
29-06-2010, 09:15 AM

Wright and Wright are hardly "journeymen".

Plus, Alan Lee's done alright hasn't he?

NateEagle
29-06-2010, 09:23 AM

Good post. I dont like the idea of losing Speroni and replacing with Wright (not sure he is that good) and have to think back to all the 'goals' that Speroni somehow stopped going in and how many points that saved us...but our outfield is so depleted and we can't rely on youngsters as some would hope so need to bring quite a few in!

Full back, holding mid, wingers, striker

bigend1
29-06-2010, 09:23 AM

agree with this depending on the fee. IF we get a big fee that allows GB to sign a few good players that will really add to the squad, maybe give him more to keep ambrose, danns and clyne... all while replacing jules with wright, who is/was a decent keeper on a free then its good bussiness and would probably see us stronger overall next season. Dont know how much the magic figure might be, but there must be a point at which it is in our interest. Jules is my fave player though, so hope he stays.

Psychokiller
29-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Wright and Wright are hardly "journeymen".

Exactly, in the case of David Wright it's the equivalent of Ipswich getting Paddy McCarthy from us on a free.

TheCharmer
29-06-2010, 09:31 AM
i d say the fee for Jules will be million plus add ons, not much more

Owngoal
29-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Jules would only want to go somewhere where he was played - is Green off from W Ham and surely Warnock will be happy with his former number 1 from Shef Unt Kenny? Is there someone else in the offing like Fulham?

Psychokiller
29-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Why does everyone assume Jules is leaving when all the evidence points to the contrary? Also, unlike with David, GB has not confirmed any interest in Richard Wright.

Gerry from Sussex
29-06-2010, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't be happy if a change of GKs was being done out of choice. I think Wright is okay - no more than that - but Jules is better and still improving. If it's because Jules wants to go then I suppose it's a decent enough replacement considering we would get cash on top to spend elsewhere. It better be a decent fee though - although I fear it won't be much more than 1 million (same for Clyne if he goes). Should be 2 million each at least but we probably won't get that.

The Gerry Queen
29-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't be happy if a change of GKs was being done out of choice. I think Wright is okay - no more than that - but Jules is better and still improving. If it's because Jules wants to go then I suppose it's a decent enough replacement considering we would get cash on top to spend elsewhere. It better be a decent fee though - although I fear it won't be much more than 1 million (same for Clyne if he goes). Should be 2 million each at least but we probably won't get that.

If that's all we are offered for Speroni and Clyne then we won't sell. We don't have to and we could get more later in the window if we want to. 1m for either is taking the piss and as we are exiting administration so we are not going to be held to ramsom.

Kai
29-06-2010, 10:02 AM
I will be extremely upset if Wright's brought in to replace Speroni, especially if Jules is allowed to go for a small fee. In today's inflated market a player like him should go for 8-9 million when you see what Premiership clubs spend on mediocre players.

If Burley's sat down with Jules and been told that he will not resign under any circumstance, then by all means sell him but they should concentrate their efforts on having him sign a new deal instead.

sydnsteve
29-06-2010, 10:05 AM
IF Wright comes, it would be a given that Jules was going. He clearly will not want to be a back up keeper.
If it is for anything like 1 million it is a big mistake, as Jules is far and away the better keeper of the 2.

Oh south london
29-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Thought Jules was nailed on to stay. Was under the impression he definatly wanted to stay here.

Psychokiller
29-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Exactly. He went to Argentina on holiday to avoid being sold!

cpfcben
29-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Please stay jules, bog off wright

orp pisshead1
29-06-2010, 10:29 AM
i d say the fee for Jules will be million plus add ons, not much more
why?

baldini1
29-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Thought Jules was nailed on to stay. Was under the impression he definatly wanted to stay here.

I play football with a guy who knows him quite well. Jules lives down in Godstone and loves the area. He and his family are really settled and happy, so I would imagine that if he is leaving it is a case of Palace wanting to sell to raise funds to stregthen the team elsewhere

Gooders
29-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Replacement, obviously.

nathe
29-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't think Jules will be going.

All we have is Speroni and young Charlie Mann.

I believe Wright will come in as number 2 but will be there to push Jules.

I will be surprised if Jules leaves.

pauldrulez
29-06-2010, 10:39 AM
I'd rather keep Speroni instead of Richard Wright and 1m.

The Bishop
29-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Ever since this story first broke I have felt that Wright is going to be brought in to provide competition to Speroni. Burley has been told he does not need to sell anybody and can bring players in. To me, this is just part of the rebuilding process.

jobiinthelastmi
29-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Wright is a poor keeper. He looked terrible for Ipswich last season.

Freddy Kurz
29-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Please stay jules, bog off wright

And if Wright has to replace Speroni for financial reasons? This may well be the kind of difficult choice Burley will have to make to keep cpfc2010 afloat and viable this season.

cpfcfan1
29-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Could it be they are trying to balance the books? by getting rid of high earners and putting back in decent replacements for lower wages

FraserH
29-06-2010, 10:50 AM
cheers for everything jules!

Freddy Kurz
29-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Could it be they are trying to balance the books? by getting rid of high earners and putting back in decent replacements for lower wages

That could be the case, although Burley & Freedman have both stressed
that they want to keep good players, who want to play for the club, but
their pay demands will need to be within the budget they've been given.

jobiinthelastmi
29-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I doubt Wright would even be able to play a full season, he's got a dodgey knee hasn't he? fell off a ladder or something similar?

Absolution
29-06-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't think Jules will be going.

All we have is Speroni and young Charlie Mann.

I believe Wright will come in as number 2 but will be there to push Jules.

I will be surprised if Jules leaves.Doubt he would join as a #2, to be honest we could do with another young(ish) keeper as backup along with Mann. We probably can't afford two senior keepers.

nathe
29-06-2010, 11:11 AM
fell off a ladder or something similar?

I think you are confusing him with eye-dee.

cpfc4evandeva
29-06-2010, 11:39 AM

I highly doubt that our keeper is going to be on massive wages. Keepers generally earn less.

Nigelbrag
29-06-2010, 11:39 AM
The perfect scenario for all us fans would be Palace can keep players like Speroni, Clyne and Ambrose and add to them with quality players. However, the reality is we have just come out of administration, and need to be cautious and to ensure we never go back there again. To do so we have to balance the books, and if that means we have to sell these players possibly to premiership clubs, and on much better wages they currently get, how could we deny them that opportunity. Hopefully we are now in a situation whereby we do not have to accept silly offers from clubs and they go for a decent fee. I am a huge fan of the three players mentioned and would be very sorry to see leave, but from what i hear GB intends to bring in Richard Wright who not so long ago played for England and Wenger payed 8m for, also West Ham are reported trying to sign, so to get him to Palace is quite a coup, also James Harper, Clinton Morrison and the midfielder from Scotland who's name i cant think off are coming all arriving on frees, still leaving money raised from the sales in the kitty to be spent when needed. That to me is sound business sense by George Burley and needs a pat on the back.

Il Padrino
29-06-2010, 11:46 AM
My boss is a Fulham fan and is convinced that they will be signing Rob Green once West Ham get another keeper in...

TheCharmer
29-06-2010, 12:07 PM
why?

its what i ve been told.

jobiinthelastmi
29-06-2010, 12:13 PM
My boss is a Fulham fan and is convinced that they will be signing Rob Green once West Ham get another keeper in...

Why would anyone sign Rob Green? he's terrible!

David James is available on a free.... fulham should go for him. I don't rate Schwartzer either, becoming error prone!

DaveP
29-06-2010, 12:23 PM
its what i ve been told.

So are you saying that you have been told that Speroni is likely to leave us and the fee won't be much more than 1 million for him???

jj62255
29-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Please please please please please don't sell Jules :sob:

If it's a money thing I'd rather Ambrose was sold to be honest (not for 750k obviously), love them both, but Speroni is just so amazing.

markholmes1991
29-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Fulham held initial talks in April, so i would expect this to go through.
We need to be realistic, Speroni has been teriffic, after a dreadful start to his Palace career he now has cult status, few have turned it around in there Palace career the way he has.
Although not a big fan off Wright we have to be realistic in our expectations for the club. almost a month to the day, we didn't think we'd be in this position, so should be grateful full stop.

CaptainCharisma
29-06-2010, 12:45 PM
If Jules left i would be devastated, especially as Wright would be an excellent back up for him. But if he does go, i would love to see him as a number 1 at Arsenal(never going to happen). I hate QPR for obivous reasons, and i really hate West Ham too, and it would gut me to see him at either of those clubs, because neither sets of fans deserve him.

ChristalPalace
29-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Why are Fulham after goalkeepers NOW? They're going to need a new manager from Thursday it seems - won't he want to sign his own players?

Beanie
29-06-2010, 01:07 PM
And if Wright has to replace Speroni for financial reasons? This may well be the kind of difficult choice Burley will have to make to keep cpfc2010 afloat and viable this season.
Then Steve Parish has some explaining to do to the fans. He said NO player had to be sold, that GB has money to spend and any money in from sales can be reinvested in the squad. Now, Burley might decide that he can improve the squad by selling and reinvesting, that is indeed the sort of decision a manager has to make, but if any player is sold to keep CPFC2010 afloat I for one will be really disappointed. Not just because the player leaves, but because if that is the case SP could have said so and everybody would have understood. However, I believe that he and the rest of CPFC2010 have been honest and will continue to be honest which means no player sales just to stay afloat.

Beanie
29-06-2010, 01:09 PM
We need to be realistic, Speroni has been teriffic, after a dreadful start to his Palace career he now has cult status, few have turned it around in there Palace career the way he has.
If this is true why did Speroni say in May he'd be happy to end his career with Palace and would only leave if sold by the club - which he said he had no indication would happen?

The Gerry Queen
29-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Even if this comes to nothing, which if it means that Julian has to go I hope it does, I was really chuffed to read a headline today about a former England player turning down West Ham to come to Palace :) how long have we waited to hear news like that and especially pleasing when thinking about Gold and Sullivan.

foxinthebox
29-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Then Steve Parish has some explaining to do to the fans. He said NO player had to be sold, that GB has money to spend and any money in from sales can be reinvested in the squad. Now, Burley might decide that he can improve the squad by selling and reinvesting, that is indeed the sort of decision a manager has to make, but if any player is sold to keep CPFC2010 afloat I for one will be really disappointed. Not just because the player leaves, but because if that is the case SP could have said so and everybody would have understood. However, I believe that he and the rest of CPFC2010 have been honest and will continue to be honest which means no player sales just to stay afloat.

to get an experienced championship keeper in whos 32 on a free and worked with and enjoyed his best years under george burely, and sell another for 1-1.5million to me makes perfect sense.

id love him to go to the premiership, its the least he deserves but from the point of view of the club, if they can get wright for the same wages as speroni is on they will have made 1-1.5m to help pay off the ground, kps season ticket/match ticket prices down, or hopefully reinvest in an area that needs looking at, (whatever they decide to spend it on really)

its a decision i would welcome

Halfwayline
29-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Julian deserves a chance in the Premier League and a shot at playing for Argentina. If we can get a keeper for free that is 90% as good that 'aint so bad. The 1m+ could pay for a couple of strikers and give us a realistic chance of a top 8 position. With a bit of luck the Play Offs.

rhynoeagle
29-06-2010, 01:47 PM
So where is the one proof or talk of Speroni going ?

TribalFootball ? West Ham forum ?

SLP have been on top of everything and theres nothing on there about Speroni, lets Take a Breathe and calm down.

He's already expressed his desire to stay at the club.

markholmes1991
29-06-2010, 01:50 PM
If this is true why did Speroni say in May he'd be happy to end his career with Palace and would only leave if sold by the club - which he said he had no indication would happen?

that was in reference to green not speroni

BLUE BOY
29-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Julian deserves a chance in the Premier League and a shot at playing for Argentina. If we can get a keeper for free that is 90% as good that 'aint so bad. The 1m+ could pay for a couple of strikers and give us a realistic chance of a top 8 position. With a bit of luck the Play Offs.

Agree

Chris K
29-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Then Steve Parish has some explaining to do to the fans.

don't be so stupdily far fetched :rolleyes: the amount of jumping to conclusions in this thread is embarrassing

TheCharmer
29-06-2010, 02:31 PM
exactly Steve Parish doesnt have to do any explaining to the fans

TheCharmer
29-06-2010, 02:33 PM
interesting that in the SLP, GB talks about his desire to keep Clyne (although he s not directly quoted on that) and Ambrose, but he doesnt mention Speroni.

cpfcfan1
29-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Might be because Speroni has not been talked about in the press lately but Clyne and Ambrose have

Woosie
29-06-2010, 03:07 PM
don't be so stupdily far fetched :rolleyes: the amount of jumping to conclusions in this thread is embarrassing

He was saying that if Speroni did HAVE to be sold to keep the club/CPFC2010 afloat, then Parish would have a lot of explaining to do. He wasn't saying that he has some explaining to do currently, as that would be absurd.

If Speroni goes, then I would settle for no less than 2million for him.

1_Neil_Warnock
29-06-2010, 03:15 PM
The situation is different if a player wants to leave on his own accord. He said we didn't need to sell to survive but didn't rule out the selling of players. 1.5 million would sadly be the most we'd get I believe.

pauldrulez
29-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Despite them not having a manager at the minute?

Big Fella
29-06-2010, 03:27 PM
To be fair, he deserves to play in the premier. If we get 1.5 for him and get in a decent replacement for nowt, thats surely good business.

Psychokiller
29-06-2010, 03:27 PM
To be fair, he deserves to play in the premier. If we get 1.5 for him and get in a decent replacement for nowt, thats surely good business.
1.5m? That would be an insult IMHO

Big Fella
29-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Keepers never go for their full worth. Plus he's only got a year on his contract left (might be wrong on that).

KungFuCharlie
29-06-2010, 03:33 PM

I think it's a pretty accurate estimate.

TheCharmer
29-06-2010, 03:34 PM

you re living in cloud cuckoo land....

foxinthebox
29-06-2010, 03:36 PM
If Speroni goes, then I would settle for no less than 2million for him.

youd want 2m yourself?:clown:

kolinkins
29-06-2010, 03:37 PM
1.5 is about right, given he has 12 months left on his deal. With more than that, I'd want 3m minimum

elgin eagle
29-06-2010, 04:18 PM
1.5 is about right, given he has 12 months left on his deal. With more than that, I'd want 3m minimum

Get him to sign a new deal then sell him for 3m afterwards. Everybody wins.
Apart from whoever buys him.

Woosie
29-06-2010, 04:31 PM
youd want 2m yourself?:clown:

Yeah 2m to the club and 2m for me :p :rolleyes:

Stavros 69
29-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Please don't go jules. Rw is not a bad keeper but I'd keep jules any day of the week and sod the transfer fee.

a9lpc
29-06-2010, 05:05 PM
I cant see why we should let our 3 time player of the year go for a measly 1.5m rediculous.

rhynoeagle
29-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Where is any of the talk about him going form 1.5million or even going at all ?

Theres been no official talk of it. Calm down people.

cpfc4evandeva
29-06-2010, 09:30 PM
I was talking to an Everton fan at work today about this.

They called him The Teflon Man - No stick :(

If Jules goes and we replace him with Wright I'll be a bit gutted to be honest.

doodledandy
29-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Too much speculation here and reading far too much into it.

Speroni signed a decent contract only last year, so if he was sold, it would be for a decent figure, but my thinking is that GB is just trying to sign decent players for FREE and making sure we have better than average replacements in case of injury or poor form, which will keep everyone on their toes.

Owngoal
30-06-2010, 09:46 AM
BBC saying that Myhill may be let go for 2 million - current Welsh international, few years younger than Jules, so that gives an idea of possible current worth. Personally cannot see the 2010 men letting the THREE times POTY go unless there is something we are unaware of - might be we want experienced backup that is not vastly inferior to Jules (which our last couple of keepers have been - Butter Flinders and Flav playing did not give anyone confidence).

GodstoneEagle
30-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Parish said Speroni was his favourite player didn't he? I would hope that counts for a lot.

Psychokiller
30-06-2010, 09:50 AM
BBC saying that Myhill may be let go for 2 million - current Welsh international, few years younger than Jules, so that gives an idea of possible current worth. Personally cannot see the 2010 men letting the THREE times POTY go unless there is something we are unaware of - might be we want experienced backup that is not vastly inferior to Jules (which our last couple of keepers have been - Butter Flinders and Flav playing did not give anyone confidence).
Myhill's more than likely going on the cheap because Hull can no longer afford his wages.

kolinkins
30-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Myhill isn't in Jules' class.

He wasn't even a regular last season, was he?

sydnsteve
30-06-2010, 09:53 AM
If it happens I'd assume it is because Jules was promised a crack at the Prem if the chance arrived, as there really is no comparison between him and Wright.

GreatGonzo
30-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Personally cannot see the 2010 men letting the THREE times POTY go unless there is something we are unaware of

Not down to them, they have said transfer activity is down to the manager. We stand to lose the 3 time PotY, possibly 4-time by then, for NOTHING next summer.

If we are building for the future then he needs a longer contract or to get what we can in order to build a future IMO.

Personally i think he would sign a new deal if offered, assuming we offer a decent wage.

JamTheEagle
30-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Personally, I can't see Jules going. I don't think GB would be that inept to sell our BEST player, plus I'm sure Dougie is singing Jules' praises all day long.

GreatGonzo
30-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Personally, I can't see Jules going. I don't think GB would be that inept to sell our BEST player, plus I'm sure Dougie is singing Jules' praises all day long.

1.5m/2m now rather than nothing in a year and the chance to use that to build a squad is 'inept'?

We are no longer in the SJ 'success now' period so we are not just thinking of this season. IF and its a big IF Jules is not going to be with us for the 2011/12 season where is the point in not getting money for him. Let alone not knowing who we could replace him with next summer.

Hopefully he will be tied to a new longer term contract soon though.

Owngoal
30-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Myhill isn't in Jules' class.

He wasn't even a regular last season, was he?

He has been a decent keeper for a number of years and did not let Hull down in the Premiership - as much as we all love Jules he does not have a great record in the Prem outside of Scotland (if any scouts are reading this!) - did Kenny go for about a million to QPR (undisclosed but rumoured).

I think Jules will sign a new contract if offered and if we do sign Wright it will be the first time Jules has had serious competition since the departure of Gabor. It should improve both their games. Every times Jules gets hurt I swallow hard and Burley may just be a manager who wants competition for places. It was nice to see the interview with the other Wright mention that GB would be bringing in players who could play a passing game - unlike Warnock who never liked Jose for trying to play football rather than hoofball

Beanie
30-06-2010, 12:04 PM
1.5m/2m now rather than nothing in a year and the chance to use that to build a squad is 'inept'?

We are no longer in the SJ 'success now' period so we are not just thinking of this season. IF and its a big IF Jules is not going to be with us for the 2011/12 season where is the point in not getting money for him. Let alone not knowing who we could replace him with next summer.

Hopefully he will be tied to a new longer term contract soon though.
The point of not getting money is keeping a cracking player even if was for just one more year. There are quite a few changes that have to be made this season, but goalkeeper isn't one of them. We need a degree of stability around which to make the unavoidable changes. If we change too much in one go it just might leave us with a team that can't cope. Forget "success now", we'd lose that money in one year if we went down.

Having said that, I think Speroni will stay and sign a new deal, he said he wanted to after the Wednesday game, so unless Burley has something amazing up his sleeve, better than Richard Wright, I think he'll stay.

hamge
30-06-2010, 07:03 PM
This thread can be closed. JB has ruled this out.

Excowboy
30-06-2010, 07:06 PM
This thread can be closed. JB has ruled this out.

John Barrowman? What's he got to do with it?

rhynoeagle
30-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Told you all, there was really no need for any panic.

:D

Happy now we know i must admit.

http://www.sportcroydon.co.uk/palacenews/Burley-rules-Speroni-departure/article-2364968-detail/article.html

MFC
01-07-2010, 11:16 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11706_6240032,00.html

will not be joinning he looking at number two the gaffer.

cpfc4evandeva
01-07-2010, 11:36 AM
will not be joinning he looking at number two the gaffer.

Que?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/10/29/manuel2.jpg

PalaceSince2004
25-08-2010, 01:47 PM
http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/blackpool-fc/127919-blackpool-fc-set-to-move-for-keeper.html

It is understood that Crystal Palace are also chasing the 32-year-old goalkeeper but that Holloway is in the driving seat.

TopKnot
25-08-2010, 02:28 PM
I wish he would hurry up and move somewhere so we can stop being linked with him...

brooklynlou
25-08-2010, 02:31 PM
I wish that Jules would hurry up and sign his contract so we can stop being linked to him.

telodaja
25-08-2010, 02:37 PM
I wish that Jules would hurry up and sign his contract so we can stop being linked to him.
Agreed, but if there any credence in the story in the adder the other week, you can understand Speroni's hesitation in signing.

PalaceNI
25-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Why?

We already have Jules, Price, Fonderingham and Mann.

doodledandy
25-08-2010, 03:23 PM
He has been a decent keeper for a number of years and did not let Hull down in the Premiership - as much as we all love Jules he does not have a great record in the Prem outside of Scotland (if any scouts are reading this!) - did Kenny go for about a million to QPR (undisclosed but rumoured).

I think Jules will sign a new contract if offered and if we do sign Wright it will be the first time Jules has had serious competition since the departure of Gabor. It should improve both their games. Every times Jules gets hurt I swallow hard and Burley may just be a manager who wants competition for places. It was nice to see the interview with the other Wright mention that GB would be bringing in players who could play a passing game - unlike Warnock who never liked Jose for trying to play football rather than hoofball

New contracts for McCarthy, Ambrose, Danns and Speroni were put on the table on July 9th., but Danns and Speroni's still remain unsigned. 47 day's is a long time to be messing arround.

LuckyJ
25-08-2010, 11:31 PM
training with palace atm. watched him with my own eyes.

Hedgehog
26-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Gemany's invading Poland

doodledandy
26-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Gemany's invading Poland

The first time, it was instigated by Hitler, so who is it now? I didn't realise that Palace train so late at night either.

FraserH
26-08-2010, 07:33 AM
i would take wright on, i still have a sneaky feeling jules is off to Boro,

Clapham Grand
26-08-2010, 08:10 AM

been training with them for ages

zonin2000
26-08-2010, 08:30 AM
been training with them for ages
'them'?

jams1234
26-08-2010, 08:42 AM
'palace'

zonin2000
26-08-2010, 10:38 AM
'palace'
Yes, but why not 'us'?

ChristalPalace
26-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Yes, but why not 'us'?

I think "them" refers to the team. Dunno, semantics really.

Alderman
26-08-2010, 06:41 PM
New contracts for McCarthy, Ambrose, Danns and Speroni were put on the table on July 9th., but Danns and Speroni's still remain unsigned. 47 day's is a long time to be messing arround.
It certainly is for two players who have gone on record,more than once,to say that they want to remain with us.Especially Jules whe has said it would take a big club to lure him away.
A case of agents holding out for their pound of flesh.:veryangry

Shipps@Palace
26-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Maybe they want to be on par with the top earner, blvd to be Lee at the time the contracts were offered..... Lee having gone perhaps, just perhaps all parties can now agree

Really hope they both sign..... And soon !!!

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
27-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Wrights been trainin with us to keep fit like how davids was trainin with ajax...

rickywood09
27-08-2010, 08:50 AM
another player being linked with blackpool. Lets hope this is true and it means jules is signing his new contract

hamge
21-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Signed 4 year deal with Sheff UTD

Shipp Ahoy!
21-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Good! Now to get Jules to sign a 4 year deal with us!

AJ's right boot
21-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Signed 4 year deal with Sheff UTD
Really! 4 Years?! LMAO

Ave Satani
21-09-2010, 08:50 PM
I think you'll find its a 4 month deal - leaving him free to sign for someone else in January :-(

hamge
21-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Sorry 4 months.

AJ's right boot
21-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Sorry 4 months.
Ahhhhhh thought it was too funny to be true!

cpfcben
21-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Bugger off wright