PDA

View Full Version : Ipswich make 8 Available

DaveP
30-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Now, i dont expect George Burley to flood the squad with ex-ipswich players from his time there, but noticed this article and wondered if any of them worked under George Burley and if so would any of them improve our squad.

Town have contacted all other Football League clubs to make them aware of the availability of eight senior players. Alex Bruce, Owen Garvan, Alan Quinn, Colin Healy, Jon Stead, Lee Martin, Kevin Lisbie and Pablo Couñago are the eight players named in a circular which was sent out earlier this week.

Lee Martin, although didn't work under George, could be a good shout, local lad and Palace fan at that too and plays on the left wing. Pablo Counago i know worked under Burley and was excellent for him.

Any possibilities here???

Thanet Eagle
30-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Please not Jon Stead.

Jim Cannon
30-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Please not Jon Stead.
Beat me to it

Someone sign them up in FM so we can have a look at them

Jay_eagle
30-06-2010, 01:49 PM
I hope none to be honest, I don't really want our sqaud full of average ex ipswich players. Saying that we need some new players with Colin robbing us at every possible chance.

Ant.Palace
30-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Please not Jon Stead.

thirded.

webbo1990
30-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Is Lee Martin a local lad and a CP fan? How did he end up at Man U, it's scandalous! He was/is a good little player, he'd be a good signing if the figures were within our budgets. Didnt Keane pay 1.5m for him last summer?

kolinkins
Garvan may excel under Burley, as may Lee Martin.

Psychokiller
Isn't Martin a Palace fan? Mind you, not sure I'd want someone with that name and the Manure connection playing for us!

eagle101
30-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Lee Martin could be worth a shot if cheap enough.

Edit: and Garvan.

lewisham eagle
30-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Wouldnt say no to Bruce or Martin if they we fair fee.

kettle
30-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Alex Bruce - worth a shout dependant on wages
Owen Garvan - yes please, based on wages
Alan Quinn - not sure
Colin Healy - no thanks
Jon Stead - maybe, dependant on wages
Lee Martin - yes please, based on wages
Kevin Lisbie - no thanks
Pablo Couñago - think wages will be too high and not enough end product.

LeeH
30-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Lisbie was trailing a blaze when he was at Colchester, I think he'd probably stand a good chance of finding his form under a proper manager, i.e. not Keane. I suppose the only thing against him is his age but then if we're going for a mix of age and youth that's not necessarily a bad thing

elgin eagle
30-06-2010, 01:59 PM
They can't all have fell out with Keane can they? Mind you, he could probably start an argument with his reflection so its hardly a surprise.

Garvan, and Bruce are surely worth a trial, and Martin is probably exactly what we need on the left.

Cake and Eat It
30-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Alex Bruce is a decent player and young enough to improve.

Lee Martin, a right footed left winger... hmmm... flattered to deceive I think, but still young enough again to have some upward improvement.

Colin Healy for me an outside bet... probably be had for a nominal fee (50k?) and could offer an option on the bench for midfield. Our squad is weak and we could do with some experienced cover. Only 30.

GreatGonzo
30-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Lee Martin is a left footed wide player, we do not have any of those so certainly worth a look.

Alex Bruce is a Centre Back and we need more cover in that area, only question mark would be lack of pace with him and Paddy there.

Owen Garvan is a player teh Irish U21s set up around, often forcing Scannell onto the bench, in an area we have cover (centre Mid) so might be worth looking at.

Apart from that not too much to interest.

The Omen
30-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Wouldn't want any of Bruce's relations wearing a Palace top...

KungFuCharlie
30-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Clearing the decks all over.

I think it's good news that clubs like us and Ipswich are clearing the decks and getting rid of high earners. Helps force wages down all round.

When the tide goes out, it'll be clubs like QPR lumbered with paying Championship players 20k a week who'll really suffer.

LiamCPFC
30-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Bruce and Martin for me.

Boyandy
30-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Stead will probably end up at QPR I'd have thought. They were linked to him recently and we all know how much of a boner Warnock has for him.

Another glamourous catch to keep the Loftus faithful buying tickets I'd think.

Jim.Cpfc
30-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I'd love to have Garvan and Martin here, both very good players at this level

thefox
30-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Does anyone know their financial situation ? 8 is a lot and some of them are first team regulars aren't they ?

cockles
30-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Isn't Martin a Palace fan? Mind you, not sure I'd want someone with that name and the Manure connection playing for us!

Know how you feel - but there was of course Steve Coppell...

Lee Martin (left footer I think...?)
& maybe Lisbie (who once got a Premiership hatrick vrs the Shite) if on low risk terms for us.

Stead traps a ball further than he can kick it.

FraserH
30-06-2010, 02:25 PM
would take garvan and martin without question.

others are all meeeeh

FORZA SELHURST
30-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Lisbie was something of a joke @ the clowns.

cockles
30-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Stead will probably end up at QPR I'd have thought. They were linked to him recently and we all know how much of a boner Warnock has for him.

Another glamourous catch to keep the Loftus faithful buying tickets I'd think.

Was my thought too. :)

GodstoneEagle
30-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Lisbie was something of a joke @ the clowns.
well, if he was wearing a charlton shirt....

doodledandy
30-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Is Lee Martin a local lad and a CP fan? How did he end up at Man U, it's scandalous! He was/is a good little player, he'd be a good signing if the figures were within our budgets. Didnt Keane pay 1.5m for him last summer?
Lee Martin was born in Taunton, so hardly a local boy, but at just 23 (9/2/87) he's worth taking a look at, even though he signed a 4 year deal with Ipswich on 6th July 2009, so a decent fee might be necessary. :)

Owngoal
30-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Alex Bruce and Owen Garvan would certainly be good bets - Garven has the potential to get into the full Irish squad as has Bruce alonside our very own Paddy McCarthy. Claude is just a bit too brutal and will be suspended fairly regularly.

Absolution
30-06-2010, 03:10 PM
I seem to remember it being mentioned that Lee Martin was offered (and signed) a contract with Ipswich on silly wages (10k+), I guess that would have an impact on signing him.

Kind of sums up Keane's style of management though, completely ignores sensible budgets when he signs an unproven winger from (you guessed it) a former club of his.

doodledandy
30-06-2010, 03:10 PM
This is interesting. Acccording to wikipedia, Garvan comes from a notable Irish footballing family. His maternal grandfather, Con Martin, was an international during the 1940s and 1950s and captained both Ireland teams - the FAI XI and the IFA XI. His uncle, Mick Martin, also played for both the Republic of Ireland and Manchester United. Another uncle Con Martin Jr. and his own father, Gerry Garvan, both played in the League of Ireland.

Garvan turned down offers from Celtic, Fulham and Nottingham Forest before joining Ipswich Town in November 2004. He subsequently became a regular in the Town team that won the FA Youth Cup in 2005. However he missed the second leg of final against Southampton after being rushed to hospital with a virus on the eve of the game. He made his senior debut for Town against Cardiff City in August 6 2005 and during his debut season with the senior team, 2005-06, he made 31 league appearances and scored 3 goals. During the 2006-07 season he made a further 27 league appearances and scored 1 further goal. During the 2007-08 season, Garvan formed a good partnership with Tommy Miller and scored three goals.

The arrival of Roy Keane as Ipswich manager signalled that Garvan's time at Portman Road maybe coming to an end as he was transfer listed.

DoB: 29/1/88 (22)

PeterH
30-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Lee Marvin has been very good on the occasions I have seen him in action.

nathe
30-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Martin and Garven for me.

Garven is a fantastic player.

doodledandy
30-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Alex Bruce and Owen Garvan would certainly be good bets - Garven has the potential to get into the full Irish squad as has Bruce alonside our very own Paddy McCarthy. Claude is just a bit too brutal and will be suspended fairly regularly.

I'm not so sure Alex Bruce (a Scott by family and English by birth right in Norwich) would make the full Irish squad. :eek:

Woosie
30-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Owen Garvan's not a bad player.

etu
30-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm not so sure Alex Bruce (a Scott by family and English by birth right in Norwich) would make the full Irish squad. :eek:

Irish granny.

doodledandy
30-06-2010, 03:22 PM
He 'was born under a wondering star', wasn't he and played for the 'Dirty Dozen"?

st albans
30-06-2010, 03:25 PM
honestly? i would take most of these, apart from Quinn

all can do a job in this division

Selhurst Celtic
30-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Bruce, Garvan, Quinn & Healy from that list please.

They'll settle in well with Séan Scannell, Paddy McCarthy & Alan Lee.

Hopefully we'll re-sign Finton O'Morrison as well.

And make our away jersey green.

Éireann go Brách

PeterH
30-06-2010, 03:31 PM
He 'was born under a wondering star', wasn't he and played for the 'Dirty Dozen"?

Wimbledon?

doodledandy
30-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Wimbledon?
Lee Marvin was born in New York City and is now dead! I think you meant Lee Martin? :p But if you meant where Lee Martin was born, then here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Martin_(footballer_born_1987)

GreatGonzo
30-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Does anyone know their financial situation ?

Not sure on the finances but apparently Keane is not happy he was thwarted by the owner in bringing in Shaun Derry!

cranesparkeagle
30-06-2010, 03:57 PM
the good the bad and the ugly or the dirty dozen

Excowboy
30-06-2010, 03:59 PM
I wouldnt say no to Garvin and Martin. Would be nice to have a bunch of keen young players competing for the midfield slots.

doodledandy
30-06-2010, 04:04 PM
I wouldnt say no to Garvin and Martin. Would be nice to have a bunch of keen young players competing for the midfield slots.
Absolutely! This is exactly what we need to do, although we also need a compliment of experience for the immediate short term future.

Gooders
30-06-2010, 04:09 PM
It's "wandering star" and "complement".

Carry on.

FromSelhurst
30-06-2010, 04:10 PM
garven, bruce and martin would be off some interest.

Penstone Eagle
30-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Isn't Pablo Counago the one that dives every time someone breathes on him ? seem to remember him being reasonably skilful but always looking to con the ref.

Braders
30-06-2010, 04:12 PM
owen garven, friend of mine raves about him and amazed they're letting him go. go GB!

thehalifaxman
30-06-2010, 04:26 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Martin_(footballer_born_1987)

born in taunton but wimbledon trainee so probably yes. Another great British talent lost in the english footballer black hole

cpfcfan124
30-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Hold on a minute, is that Ipswich's best players?.. has Roy keane got a screw loose?

GreatGonzo
30-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Hold on a minute, is that Ipswich's best players?.. has Roy keane got a screw loose?

Their scoring and assist records leave a little to be desired last season, Garvan 5 assists no goals and Martin with a gaol and an assist. Could always be down to the management though.

thefox
30-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Not sure on the finances but apparently Keane is not happy he was thwarted by the owner in bringing in Shaun Derry!

Ta. A freebie. :eek:

cpfcben
30-06-2010, 05:10 PM
garven, bruce and martin would be off some interest.
This{

cpfcben
30-06-2010, 05:11 PM
They bought Martin for over a million. Their board must be thrilled he is releasing them all on frees.

cpfcben
30-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Keane is a complete joke!

doodledandy
30-06-2010, 05:33 PM
It's "wandering star" and "complement".

Carry on.
Thanks for that. maybe you need to scour the other threads and correct the spelling mistakes and grammar as well, not to mention the text talk. That will keep you busy for years! Have fun! :p

jobiinthelastmi
30-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Know how you feel - but there was of course Steve Coppell...

Lee Martin (left footer I think...?)
& maybe Lisbie (who once got a Premiership hatrick vrs the Shite) if on low risk terms for us.

Stead traps a ball further than he can kick it.

Must be related to Wayne Rooney then? :hi:

doodledandy
30-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Yes he has and if GB can sign him for Palace, then so much the better.

doodledandy
30-06-2010, 05:40 PM
They bought Martin for over a million. Their board must be thrilled he is releasing them all on frees.
Keane has alerted clubs that they are available. "Town have contacted all other Football League clubs to make them aware of the availability of eight senior players". I didn't notice the word FREE in that statement and I rather expect that Ipswich will expect a fee for at least some of them.

cpfcfan1
30-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Lee Martin as the once rated Man U winger?

JamieBcpfc
30-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I have always liked Jon Stead. I think he could be a very effective striker at this level under the right management. Some very good players that Keane is getting rid of there

FromSelhurst
30-06-2010, 05:45 PM
I have always liked Jon Stead. I think he could be a very effective striker at this level under the right management. Some very good players that Keane is getting rid of there

i think he has had far too many managers now for that to be an excuse anymore.

Owngoal
30-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Bruce, Garvan, Quinn & Healy from that list please.

They'll settle in well with Séan Scannell, Paddy McCarthy & Alan Lee.

Hopefully we'll re-sign Finton O'Morrison as well.

And make our away jersey green.

Éireann go Brách

I was always surprised by Bruce getting picked by Ireland when you saw who his dad was but he is just what we need in terms of ability and age. Palace could become the Arsenal of old to the floating Irish supporters in London

Palace Kebab
30-06-2010, 06:09 PM
My guess is Keane has been told to sell before he buys

JonProgrammeSeller
30-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Out of that list i'd possibly take Paulo Counago (or however it is spelt), Alex Bruce and Kevin Lisbie. Maybe even Martin. The others I wouldn't bother with.

cranesparkeagle
30-06-2010, 09:21 PM
the good the bad and the ugly or the dirty dozen

the digger
30-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Always impressed by Garvan.

PJJY
30-06-2010, 10:10 PM
As others have said, Garvan and Martin please.

Braintree Eagle
01-07-2010, 01:47 AM
Yes please to Counago.

Jim Cannon
01-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Jon Stead - maybe, dependant on wages

He wants £100K a week. Shame

Purley_Eagle
01-07-2010, 03:13 AM
Apparently Lee Martin is on 12k a week

Kirby
01-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Counago's like a (not much) younger version of Dougie.

He was class for them in the Premiership. Not sure how much he's got left in him now though.

Garvan's always been touted as a top prospect but seems to have lost his way. Maybe a change of scene is what he needs. I think he can play on the left aswell.

It's all pure conjecture, but imagine a midfield of:

Garvan Danns Harper Ambrose

Looks pretty tasty!

elgin eagle
01-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Apparently Lee Martin is on 12k a week

Thats a shame. He would have been good to have on the left.

Never mind, there'll be others who will accept a more sensible wage.

Absolution
01-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Thats a shame. He would have been good to have on the left.

Never mind, there'll be others who will accept a more sensible wage.Other way at looking at it is he has earned silly money, he can now take a minimal wage! Balances out.

elgin eagle
01-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Other way at looking at it is he has earned silly money, he can now take a minimal wage! Balances out.

Hope so. You would think playing for the club you always supported at the peak of your career and a very good chance of regular first team football would be enough reasons to take a wage drop.

If we have 20 pros and and annual wage budget of 6 million, what would be the average weekly wage per player? 5-6000 grand a week including win bonuses and extras? Surely we can attract very good championship players for that sort of money if we aren't shelling out on transfer fees, and still break even with 15k attendances.

If we could get garvan, martin and bruce for a combined 15k a week, that would be awesome. Plus they could all car share with Alan Lee and the Wright Brothers :D

Niel Smillie
01-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Hope so. You would think playing for the club you always supported at the peak of your career and a very good chance of regular first team football would be enough reasons to take a wage drop.

If we have 20 pros and and annual wage budget of 6 million, what would be the average weekly wage per player? 5-6000 grand a week including win bonuses and extras? Surely we can attract very good championship players for that sort of money if we aren't shelling out on transfer fees, and still break even with 15k attendances.

If we could get garvan, martin and bruce for a combined 15k a week, that would be awesome. Plus they could all car share with Alan Lee and the Wright Brothers :D
A 15k attendance which nearly half are getting in free, a lot of people are forgetting this fact.

Psychokiller
01-07-2010, 09:07 AM
The problem with John Stead is that his first touch is awful and he doesn't normally get a second.

rhynoeagle
01-07-2010, 09:13 AM
I really really really don't want another target man in Stead, we've seen such players like Kuqi, Adebola and Scowie come and go. But we've only had 1 in the recent past whos been of any success. And even so hes not liked by everyone on the board, but Alan Lee has a Phenominal season last year and i think to find someone with so much passion for the club again would be pretty rare.

Out of that List, Palace would be happy if we signed Lee Martin and/or Owen Garvin (Owen i prefer). And personally i know his record since his 2nd spell isnt all that great but Pablo Counago if available on a free and cheap wages may be an alright signing. He's played under Burley (I belive) and that was wehn he scored 1 in 3 in just under 100 games.

I must admit, I am suprised that there isn't any stiker rumours around, surely thats the department which is most important ? Not that i'm moaning - Maybe a couple of striker is in the 7 or 8 players ?

P.S I love rumours again :D :D

Absolution
01-07-2010, 09:36 AM
I think we need a left sided player desperately for balance, as it's the old 'Julian Gray' issue rearing it's head again. If we had persisted with Dave Martin we may be okay now though.

Is Garvan really a left sided player, or just being stuck out wide occasionally because of being a lefty?

Owngoal
01-07-2010, 10:13 AM
The problem with John Stead is that his first touch is awful and he doesn't normally get a second.
He is the white Emile Heskey
We already have our very own younger version in Andrew

sydnsteve
01-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Andrew's white?
Anyway, I'd think Bruce might be worth a look.

Jim Bhoy
01-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Owen Garvan is a quality player and we should snap him up asap. I think he's good enough to play in the Premier League, and the only reason Ipswich are releasing him is due to the fact that Keane unsurprisingly has had a row with him. Maybe it's because Garvan is from Dublin, Keane has always had a problem with the Dubs. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at a club like Bolton though (I know Owen Coyle has always liked him).

We should stay away from Alex Bruce at all costs though. The fact that Trap prefers Paul McShane to Bruce in the Ireland squad is proof that we shouldn't go near him.

rhynoeagle
01-07-2010, 10:55 AM
But these players are only available, they havent actually been released. No doubt RK will want a hefty bit for Garvan, Bruce or Counago ?

Dobbo
01-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I think we need a left sided player desperately for balance, as it's the old 'Julian Gray' issue rearing it's head again. If we had persisted with Dave Martin we may be okay now though.

Is Garvan really a left sided player, or just being stuck out wide occasionally because of being a lefty?

Why ? Seem to remember we had someone playing wide left who scored 20 goals last season.

GreatGonzo
01-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Why ? Seem to remember we had someone playing wide left who scored 20 goals last season.

No we very rarely had anyone play wide left and at time no wide right either which was part of our problem scoring goals.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
11-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Now, i dont expect George Burley to flood the squad with ex-ipswich players from his time there, but noticed this article and wondered if any of them worked under George Burley and if so would any of them improve our squad.

Town have contacted all other Football League clubs to make them aware of the availability of eight senior players. Alex Bruce, Owen Garvan, Alan Quinn, Colin Healy, Jon Stead, Lee Martin, Kevin Lisbie and Pablo Couñago are the eight players named in a circular which was sent out earlier this week.

Lee Martin, although didn't work under George, could be a good shout, local lad and Palace fan at that too and plays on the left wing. Pablo Counago i know worked under Burley and was excellent for him.

Any possibilities here???
Lee martin Yes plz, been linked with him
Owen Garvan looks set to sign for an undisclosed fee
Counago or lisbie would do a job for us. Lisbie has a bit of pace so i'd favour him

delboy01
11-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Why hasn't anyone posted their champ manager ratings! :)

DaveP
09-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Sorry to drag this back up but Lee Martin has joined Charlton Athletic on a season long loan.

That's a massive come down in the space of a year following a £1.2 million move to Ipswich from Manchester Utd last summer!

The Gerry Queen
09-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Sorry to drag this back up but Lee Martin has joined Charlton Athletic on a season long loan.

That's a massive come down in the space of a year following a £1.2 million move to Ipswich from Manchester Utd last summer!

What a come down. As a Man U product he must have thought that he would develop well under Keane. Now he will be plying his trade at a crap League One outfit playing alongside 'Bally Smart' and other :clown:'s. If I was on the Board at Portman Road I would want to know how this came about as Lee Martin is a good player and has a lot to offer.

eagle101
09-08-2010, 09:38 AM

:eek:

Would've liked to have seen him at Palace.

cockles
09-08-2010, 10:11 AM
:eek:

Would've liked to have seen him at Palace.

If Charlton could get him, one can assume he wasn't wanted by GB.