PDA

View Full Version : Butterfield & Lawrence released (official)

james powell
30-06-2010, 02:52 PM
http://www.sportcroydon.co.uk/footballnews/Exclusive-Butterfield-Lawrence-allowed-leave-Crystal-Palace/article-2363947-detail/article.html?
PALACE stalwarts Danny Butterfield and Matt Lawrence have both been released by Crystal Palace.

The experienced duo's contracts officially expire tomorrow and manager George Burley has confirmed to the Advertiser that the pair will not be returning when the rest of the squad start pre-season.

Burley said: "I spoke with the boy Butterfield but he had already had an offer from another club and I felt we couldn't match that.

"Matt Lawrence has also been allowed to leave. Neither will be coming into training tomorrow."

kolinkins
30-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Danny :(

At least this means Wright was bought in to cover for Danny (and Ertl) rather than Clyne.

Maxwell_CPFC
30-06-2010, 02:54 PM
no big loss!

craigybaby
30-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Gutted that butterfield has gone but i can understand it - if clyne does stay and this david wright is any good then i would imagine Burley having him as third choice - best of luck to him.

Not sure how i feel about Lawrence - awful on the most part but when palace really needed it he was called upon and did a decent job

LeeH
30-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Butts to Charlton maybe?

kolinkins
30-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Seems like he wanted to keep Danny, good luck to Danny whereever he goes, was defo worth another year

and glad Lawrence has gone too - if only so I can remember his positive contribution last season rather than his overall ability

EastBerksEagle
30-06-2010, 02:57 PM
no big loss!
Bit harsh

Stellavista
[url]

Burley said: "I spoke with the boy Butterfield but he had already had an offer from another club and I felt we couldn't match that.

Maybe it's just me, but that direct quote doesn't really seem to express any respect for 'the boy' Danny, or the fantastic service he has given to the club.

CPFC987
Thanks Danny :(

Woosie
30-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Noooooooooooooooooo :sob: Danny's gone :(

EastBerksEagle
30-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Maybe it's just me, but that direct quote doesn't really seem to express any respect for 'the boy' Danny, or the fantastic service he has given to the club.
Spot on

Godstone Eagle
30-06-2010, 03:00 PM
:( Thanks Danny, a great servant to the club..wish him all the best wherever he ends up.

Good luck to Matty too

ForestRow Eagle
30-06-2010, 03:02 PM
... bit like Derry, Ertl and Hill - all good honest 100% tryers but not really for the future and not what you want to rebuild the team around.... wish them all the best though...

srob
30-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Butterfield has played for Palace for a number of seasons now, although not a surprise I wish him all the best wherever his career takes him and thank him for his efforts throughout his time with us................

Very excited about new season, new era starts tomm................

ChickenDipper
30-06-2010, 03:03 PM
I love you danny! best hattrick i have ever seen.

srob
30-06-2010, 03:04 PM
oooohhhhhhh and the same to Matty Lawrence...............All the best boys.........

spt1978
30-06-2010, 03:06 PM
All the best and hope they find new clubs but glad to have the wage bill lower.

Imagine Burley is making room on the wage bill for new signings.

BaldEagle96
30-06-2010, 03:07 PM
What with them and Derry going the average age of the team/squad must be plumetting.

GreatGonzo
30-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Sounds like he would have kept Danny but he has been offered something over and above what a back-up player should be earning.

What price he is training with QPR tomorrow?

elgin eagle
30-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Sad news if true about DB. 8 years is a decent stint at one club. Good luck to them both though.

pumaspalace
30-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Bye Danny :( Bye to Lawrence too, not as good as Butts though.

MasterYoda
30-06-2010, 03:11 PM
If the replacements coming in are better then it's all good.

Will miss Butts though, part of the furniture.

Jimmy Eagle
30-06-2010, 03:12 PM
I can't help but feel a little relieved that Lawrence has gone. I can't say I had much faith in him when he did play.
It's a shame Butts has gone.

Kirby
30-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Gutted Danny is leaving :(

Cheers for your efforts Matt.

FraserH
30-06-2010, 03:13 PM
i will never forget you hat trick danny, one of my greatest moments in football. a right back playing upfront against a team from the league above scoring a perfect hat trick in 6.48 seconds....awesome.

thanks for everything ML, have never been your biggest fan but you tried your best.

KungFuCharlie
30-06-2010, 03:14 PM
If the replacements coming in are better then it's all good.

Will miss Butts though, part of the furniture.

Ditto

Neil
Good luck to both of the lads. Some of the stick both (esp. Lawrence) have got on these boards over the years has been shocking.

That Wolves hat-trick will stay in the memory until I get old and start to lose it :)

brooklynlou
I can't help but feel a little relieved that Lawrence has gone. I can't say I had much faith in him when he did play.

My feelings exactly ...

hamge
30-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Legend! (no not you matty)

TheMexicanHorse
30-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Danny B is joining Millwall I can confirm. Good luck to him.

Ruskin Old Boy
30-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Sorry to see them both leave but understand why. I hope they do well wherever they end up.

Their departure means that Julian Speroni tops the Palace appearances list - no surprise there, but who has second highest appearances for Palace - Sean Scannell

Isle of Wight
30-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Very sad to see both of them go. However they will always be welcome and remembered fondly at Selhurst. Danny for that Hatrick and Matt for having the "Dean Austin" mentality. I wish them all the best wherever they go. Cheers lads

chatham_eagle
30-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Fair thee well Danny, great servant to the club.

Neil
30-06-2010, 03:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GWYNLvawLw

:)

doodledandy
30-06-2010, 03:33 PM

It didn't seem to worry Danny too much in finding another club before meeting with the gaffer and as he has never played for George Burley at any stage of his career, he's hardly going to lavish a load of patronising sentiment on him. That's for us Palace supporters to do.

Also, it looks like GB was prepared to offer DB a new contract, but couldn't match the offer he already had on the table. Let's not forget, every footballer has his day, and after the clubs recent history, the emphasis is to reduce the wage bill and encourage youth.

RedStripe Eagle
30-06-2010, 03:34 PM

sometimes some scots use 'the boy' as similar to the way others say lad, i wouldn't have thought it was disrespectful, but i can understand the term 'boy' has disrespectful baggage in areas of society

Will S
30-06-2010, 03:39 PM

Agreed - ever so slightly gutted by this. Warnock wrote DB off at first and then learnt better, shame Burley won't have the same opportunity.

Excowboy
30-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Danny was a great Palace character - worked hard, tried his best in every position he was played, always seemed cheerful. Sad to see him go, but it's a new era now and the players coming in to replace him look like a step in the right direction.

Really glad Matty lawrence got his chance this year to play a crucial part in keeping us up - he was great at Hillsborough and a few other games, and hopefully will be remembered for that rather than when he was the scapegoat. Now definitely seems the right time for him to move on.

PauLo
30-06-2010, 03:53 PM
We'll never forget Lawrence and Paddys bro-hug at Watford and Butterfields hatrick.

It's actually kind of sad :(

Whyteleafe_Sage
30-06-2010, 03:58 PM

Agreed - good luck to both.:hi:

silverymoon
30-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Good luck to both players especially Danny. Quite pleased really as we have seen the best of both of them and at best they would have only been squad players. We need some younger players and also a few with experience to make up for the 5 out of contract players that have left. Only really sorry to lose Ertl.

Oh south london
30-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Lawrence is simply not good enough. Good to get him out. Butts has been a great player over the years but again football wise it was time for him to leave. Butts is the team joker though and his influence will be missed spirit wise. Certainly if he has joined Millwall he will get a massive reception apon his return.

bern5161
30-06-2010, 04:04 PM
good luck danny butts

Brett
30-06-2010, 04:06 PM
I hope we aren't losing too much 'spine' too soon. At this rate we'll have a hefty number of new players who will need to gel and we could struggle early on.

Civic
30-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Good Luck Danny and Good Luck Matt. After years of loyal service you finished by helping us stay up against the odds. Not a bad legacy!

Clapham Grand
30-06-2010, 04:11 PM
this really is a new era

Excowboy
30-06-2010, 04:12 PM
this really is a new era

Absolutely :)

In the words of Dougie Freedman:

“The situation could be a lot worse. You could be walking in with a squad of 40 pros, big debts and having to get rid of people - this is a clean slate.

“We’ve got quality players under contract and if we can add the right ones and bring a few youngsters through we can build a team for the future - not just the first six weeks of the season.”

davemorris04
30-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Danny I will miss you for being absolute class in our promotion season, THAT goal against Sunderland and THAT perfect hattrick against Wolves, but ultimately for 8 years of top service and by all accounts being a top bloke.

Matty I will miss your never say die attitude, and for putting in some HUGE performances at the tail end of this season which played a massive part in us staying up.

Both players will get a great reception from me if they come back to Selhurst Park.

The Gerry Queen
30-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Danny I will miss you for being absolute class in our promotion season, THAT goal against Sunderland and THAT perfect hattrick against Wolves, but ultimately for 8 years of top service and by all accounts being a top bloke.

Matty I will miss your never say die attitude, and for putting in some HUGE performances at the tail end of this season which played a massive part in us staying up.

Both players will get a great reception from me if they come back to Selhurst Park.

Well said. Totally agree, even if Danny has signed for Millwall :eek:

PeterH
30-06-2010, 04:34 PM

Burleys only been here a few weeks. He has no experience of Butts.

Better this, than NW hoodwinking everyone with comments about how great the club are from day one. The fans will remember, that is important.

PeterH
30-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Good luck to both of the lads. Some of the stick both (esp. Lawrence) have got on these boards over the years has been shocking.

That Wolves hat-trick will stay in the memory until I get old and start to lose it :)

Already forgotten then.

Palestinian
30-06-2010, 04:42 PM

Was going to post - but this sums my view up
Thanks both of you for the great service you have given this club

Dom the Eagle
30-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Butterfield also scored that quality volley against Gillingham.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 04:57 PM
http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/crystalpalace/Exclusive-Butterfield-Lawrence-allowed-leave-Crystal-Palace/article-2363947-detail/article.html. Butterfield and lawrence are off :'( Danys my fave player :(

Excowboy
30-06-2010, 04:58 PM
http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204658

E_girl
30-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Are you dumb? It says he had an offer from another club we couldn't match. So not exactly releasing him, is it? :rolleyes:

The Omen
30-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Bye bye Danny. Not sure you will be missed now, but you will certainly never be forgotten.

A Palace legend. :lux:

MFC
30-06-2010, 05:00 PM
very sad to see them go i reckon butterfield didnt see eye to eye with the gaffer we should email the club let them know what we think the fans

lets also open a group on facebook and then show the the club its not a bad idea but am sad to see them both go.

Butterfield was great the hatrick hero may join QPR i bet.

philsick
30-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Chill man.This is a new era and the reasons for keeping them would be sentimental.

Godstone Eagle
30-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Disgraceful thread title

the kooch
30-06-2010, 05:03 PM
how dare that dude burley release butterfield!!!

Can the title be changed to this, it looks much better.

Mad Raschic Ken
30-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Fantastic servant for the club and a proper Palace hero. Time moves on though and he certainly isn't a player I'd have wanted the club to be breaking the bank to keep. If he's had a good offer from elsewhere good luck to him.

CPFC987
30-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Clown (OP, not Burley)

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 05:05 PM
how dare that dude burley release butterfield!!!

Can the title be changed to this, it looks much better.

Butterfield has been my fave player since he like joined the club and i was gona have him over cos my dad knows him cos he was a reporter and stuff. But noooooo, now i dont get a signed shirt :/

Palace Bear
30-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Gutted Butterfield has gone, but understand if we couldn't match his contract offered elsewehre. A good servant, always tried hard, great palace man and of course 'that hatrick'.
Good luck to Matty and Clint, your thuggery served us well!!!
I feel bad for Lawrence he's been so loyal, last season may not have been his best but he was there when we were really on our knees. Shame he has to go but it's the right decision for the club moving forward, likewise probably with Hill.

All the best to all 3 players, you were a huge part of the solid core that kept us up last year. You can return to Selhurst with your new clubs, with your heads held high anytime.... unless it's QPR, Millwall or Brighton!!!

CPFC987
30-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Butterfield has been my fave player since he like joined the club and i was gona have him over cos my dad knows him cos he was a reporter and stuff. But noooooo, now i dont get a signed shirt :/

Burley clearly is a '****' for not taking this into consideration.

Insensitive '****' :veryangry

eagle-leg
30-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Grow Up!

Mictor Voses
30-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Disgraceful thread title

Agreed. I can only assume Palace for life or what ever he calls himself is as thick and useless as those tw*ts who turned out supposedly representing England on Sunday:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Baffled Bob 2
30-06-2010, 05:09 PM
DB's been great for us.

But if it's best for both sides for him to move on, then that's life.

FromSelhurst
30-06-2010, 05:10 PM

i bet danny would be gutted if he knew he was going to miss out on such a intellectual experience.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Grow Up!
IM 14

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 05:12 PM
i bet danny would be gutted if he knew he was going to miss out on such a intellectual experience.
Well have got all A's in ur gcse's? Thought not.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
Burley clearly is a '****' for not taking this into consideration.

Insensitive '****' :veryangry LOL

jj62255
I really really hope this is a windup. A month ago we didn't even know if we had a club to support, and now the new manager is being called a **** because Butterfield had a better contract offer from elsewhere?

Unbelievable...

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Agreed. I can only assume Palace for life or what ever he calls himself is as thick and useless as those tw*ts who turned out supposedly representing England on Sunday:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Ch'yeah, i giv a shit about what u think becausee???

David
Butterfield has never been my favourite player and I realy don't understand how anyone could consider him a decent right back seeing as he couldn't actually defend a cross coming into the box. OK going forward but far too often he was shown up as having limited defensive qualities. He certainly wasn't in the league of an Emmerson Boyce!

I wish him well and hope that now Nathaniel Clyne can rightly become first choice. Butterfield leaves us with some good memories, mainly the fluke of his hat-trick against Wolves.

This is a clear sign to me that we are moving into a new era and looking beyond the old sentiments and actually making positives steps forward.

jj62255
very sad to see them go i reckon butterfield didnt see eye to eye with the gaffer we should email the club let them know what we think the fans

lets also open a group on facebook and then show the the club its not a bad idea but am sad to see them both go.

Butterfield was great the hatrick hero may join QPR i bet.

You forgot an online petition, those always work!

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I really really hope this is a windup. A month ago we didn't even know if we had a club to support, and now the new manager is being called a **** because Butterfield had a better contract offer from elsewhere?

Unbelievable...

Alright alright, i missed tht bit. I jus saw he'd been released and im practically crying!!

David
30-06-2010, 05:16 PM
By the way the thread title is totally ludicrous. Butterfield was actually paid to play for Palace - he didn't do it for free you know!

jobiinthelastmi
Alright alright, i missed tht bit. I jus saw he'd been released and im practically crying!!

He's crap. Get over it :rolleyes:

eagles #1
You need help.

The Omen
All the best to all 3 players, you were a huge part of the solid core that kept us up last year. You can return to Selhurst with your new clubs, with your heads held high anytime.... unless it's QPR, Millwall or Brighton!!!

Previous poster said it was Millwall... is that accurate?

Woosie
30-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Doesn't insulting the OP just make you as bad as him?

PALACE_FOR_LIFE, I understand that you're upset about Butts going and I'm gutted he's gone as well, but you can't go round calling the manager a **** just cos he didn't keep Butts.

Adlerhorst
Maybe it's just me, but that direct quote doesn't really seem to express any respect for 'the boy' Danny, or the fantastic service he has given to the club.It might be a misunderstanding.

For example, my best friend's father refers to him as "the boy" to others or simply "boy" or "son" to his face.

He's from miles up north as well.

Always an Eagle
Where's he going?

I heard ages ago his wife wanted to move up north (where's she from?) so not completely surprised.

Ce La Vie.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 05:22 PM
You need help.
He may be shit and you may have a point there mate, but he was a loyal servant for what? 8 years?

levster
30-06-2010, 05:22 PM
He's way past his best, get over it and move on. Fresh start for us and new talent required.

BulletEagle
30-06-2010, 05:23 PM
We should have at least given him a testimonial.

But now Clyne is surely staying :lux:

David
30-06-2010, 05:26 PM
He may be shit and you may have a point there mate, but he was a loyal servant for what? 8 years?

HE WAS PAID FOR HIS SERVICES!!

Dal
30-06-2010, 05:26 PM
There is no room for sentiment in late modern football.

weh8millwall
30-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Never made it back to the standard he was playing at in his first 2 years at the club. His injury in the pre-premiership pre-season, QPR away maybe? did him over.

Sorry to see him go for sentimental value, but quality wise, time to move on..

thefox
30-06-2010, 05:30 PM
I imagine he was offered a one year contract at Palace and longer else where. Maybe league one.

Or just QPR.

cpfcfan1
30-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Pleased with this, Lawrence is no loss, will miss Butts as hes a palce fave but no real loss

Time to look to the future

Nelson Muntz
30-06-2010, 05:40 PM
New broom and all that.

Good luck to Butts and Lawro, but it's a new era.

Onwards and upwards.

FromSelhurst
30-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Well have got all A's in ur gcse's? Thought not.

don't understand this, sorry.

TOM-CPFC95
30-06-2010, 05:44 PM
butterfeild is too good he needs to stay i agree with u PALACE_FOR_LIFE

TOM-CPFC95
30-06-2010, 05:46 PM
at least speroni is not going

Son of Coveta
30-06-2010, 05:53 PM
New era and all.Thanks for the memories but time for a change and looking forward to seeing a new look palace next season.

Psychokiller
30-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Fair play to Butts for landing a last big payday.

I'm sure Matty can do a good job for a League 1 club for a season or two, someone like Dagenham could do a lot worse.

cpfcfan1
30-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Where is Butts going then?

Palace Kebab
30-06-2010, 05:58 PM
if it means we are keeping Clyne, then i see this as good news. Butterfield was one of my favourites as well, i guess he has had longer to win fan's affections, but he is not worth a sizeable salary to be second choice right back.

It is encouraging we have offered him what we feel is appropriate, he has not accepted and we have let him go. Seems like sensible management to me. Players of a similar standard can be got for free on lower wages i would imagine e.g David Wright. Let's use the resources elsewhere.

Owngoal
30-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Hey
wonder if anyone has started a thread about Danny B going, let alone one with such an intelligent title?

NathanCPFCD
30-06-2010, 05:59 PM
scoring a perfect hat trick in 6.48 seconds.

That is bloody quick.

917L
30-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks to both for your service

Onwards and upwards we we move

Biggineagle
30-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Disgraceful thread title

Agree totally, Mods need to act.

Excowboy
30-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Agree totally, Mods need to act.

Might as well merge this thread with the butterfield / lawrenced released one and get rid of the title.

PalaceSince2004
30-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Yes Butterfield and Lawerance have left but we need to move on. Butterfield has been a good servant and with his hat-trick against Wolves was the highlight of his palace career but we can get better players into the club

james powell
30-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Are you for ******* real???

cpfcfan1
30-06-2010, 06:08 PM
What a nob head post :(

Stigma
30-06-2010, 06:08 PM

Ohh poor darling..is that post for real?:o

PalaceSince2004
30-06-2010, 06:10 PM
... bit like Derry, Ertl and Hill - all good honest 100% tryers but not really for the future and not what you want to rebuild the team around.... wish them all the best though...

I agree expect with Ertl

james powell
30-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Ch'yeah, i giv a shit about what u think becausee???
I just don't get how you have a green rep....

Lord Flange
30-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Danny butts :love: :love: :sob: :sob:

Will always be one of my all time faves especially from the last promotion season.

So glad I managed to give you a big hug and kiss on the pitch at Hillsborough where you were screaming your head off as much as us lot.

Shipp Ahoy!
30-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Bye Danny, will be very sadly missed all round.

Jim Cannon
30-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Butts to Charlton maybe?
He helped them go down last time, maybe he fancies doing it again

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Ohh poor darling..is that post for real?:o
YEAH, and im only 14 :'(

Chris K
30-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Explains why we signed David Wright then who if accounts hold true is better. Good work by Burley imo

Les Butler
30-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Mr. Burley sounds more polite....Especially to a 14 year old.

Calm down a bit please.

Scotland's No9
30-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Good pragmatic decision; I'd imagine both are relatively high earners, they aren't the future of the club, and neither have any sort of resale value.

Although, for different reasons, I'll remember them both fondly and wish them the very best of luck.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Mr. Burley sounds more polite....Especially to a 14 year old.

Calm down a bit please.

Jus really upset bout it. Soz pplz

Chris K
30-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Butterfield was our longest serving player so sad to see him go. But lets face no more than a squad member these days so best left to move on. As for Lawrence, ah well, cheers for the efforts though 'Distributor'

JHJ EAGLE
30-06-2010, 06:47 PM
I liked Danny B. One of My favourite players. Cheer and good luck Danny:)

TOOPM
30-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Unbelievable...
:p to this

Wish Butts all the best for the future, would have loved to keep him, but other clubs have more cash to spray around and he's got to do what's right by him and his family. It's not like he's got that many years of his career left, just hope he's not going to QPR

Heb 7:4
30-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Jus really upset bout it. Soz pplz
Dude, don't worry about it. I get like that about Clinton :) This is a messageboard, feel free to express yourself

sunshine lucas
30-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Sad to see DB go particularly... I was always disappointed he didn't really do it for us in the Prem after we went up - had high hopes...
And well done Matt - I remember seeing you in an early appearance at rightback and thinking you were probably one of the worst players I had ever seen - but back in CB mode and even occasionally at rb again you did ok mate.
Oh - and Clint - you were/are a nasty piece of work and it was a pleasure to have you on our side!

rhynoeagle
30-06-2010, 07:13 PM

I had contact with Hudson too then he left. I would of been killed for saying that though :D:D

SE25Eagle
30-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Butterfield has never been my favourite player and I realy don't understand how anyone could consider him a decent right back seeing as he couldn't actually defend a cross coming into the box. OK going forward but far too often he was shown up as having limited defensive qualities. He certainly wasn't in the league of an Emmerson Boyce!

I wish him well and hope that now Nathaniel Clyne can rightly become first choice. Butterfield leaves us with some good memories, mainly the fluke of his hat-trick against Wolves.

This is a clear sign to me that we are moving into a new era and looking beyond the old sentiments and actually making positives steps forward.

:p

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Dude, don't worry about it. I get like that about Clinton :) This is a messageboard, feel free to express yourself
Cos i got like totally abused so i decided apologizing would be the best option.

Ruskin Old Boy
30-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Where is Butts going then?

Millwall allegedly

TheMexicanHorse
30-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Previous poster said it was Millwall... is that accurate?

Yes.

Billy Rhino
30-06-2010, 07:49 PM
I imagine he was offered a one year contract at Palace and longer else where. Maybe league one.

Or just QPR.
Or the following season both?

Jim Cannon
30-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Millwall allegedly
Nice one. Should help us out with 6 points:D

Chief Brody
30-06-2010, 08:05 PM
If you were gonna have "our" Danny over to your gaff for tea and crumpets, and now that wonderous life changing opportunity has been prised from your fingers, why did you leave it 8 ******** years to do so?

Johnnydev66
30-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Danny, Matt and all of those who have gone deserve our thanks for an incredible effort last season. We might not even have a club now had they not kept us up. They'll always be welcome at SP, even if it is with Millwall ;-)

Tell you what though, if we're letting these guys go, then I'm really excited about those who are coming in to replace them! Wright and Harper are exactly the kind of player we need, can't wait to see who's next on the list.

I'm amazed how quickly this club has picked itself up and set out to compete rather than just survive. I'm looking forward to this season more than any I can remember since 89-90. I put the credit for that firmly at the feet of Mr Parish & Co.

Freddy Kurz
30-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks to Danny and Matt for their loyal and wholehearted service with the
club, not least during it's struggle for survival in 2009/10. Good luck to you
both in your future professional careers.

All true Palace fans will always remember the contribution you have made to
our football club.

Kipungu
30-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Theres always room for a bit of sentimentality, but people wanting Butts to stay is as bad as people wanting Dougie to put his boots back on. We need to move on with some fresh blood. Nobody is denying Butterfield had some great moments here and he will always be remembered fondly.

Best of luck to both Danny and Lawrence.

Absolution
30-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks Danny, and good luck! Big part of Palace for such a long time, and I'm glad he finally did bounce back from that 18 month lay off a few years back.

Some brilliant memories of him.

I guess we have to be economical with our squad, and if he has a bigger offer elsewhere it would be wrong of us to match it.

glaziers fan
30-06-2010, 08:33 PM
excellent news. Clyne will be a regular and can develop now that **** Warnock has gone.

I'm sure this is what the threadstarter means.

Excellent releasing ML as well, and I'm sure Stern will be released too!

Calvin, put pen to paper :)

Palace Bear
30-06-2010, 08:34 PM
HE WAS PAID FOR HIS SERVICES!!

Well only when the club had any money.

FACT - Danny Butterfield was a good defender
FACT - Danny Butterfield was a great servant
FACT - Danny Butterfield's hat trick is and will be Palace folklore for years to come
FACT - Danny Butterfield was never a glamour player but anyone who can't appreciate the 8 years he gave Palace is in my opinion insane

FACT - If Danny had an offer he wanted to accept and GB felt he couldn't match it, the he is right not to do so and it is time to move on, with no bitterness, no angst, a friendly handshake and good wishes at his new club

Niel Smillie
30-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Danny, Matt and all of those who have gone deserve our thanks for an incredible effort last season. We might not even have a club now had they not kept us up. They'll always be welcome at SP, even if it is with Millwall ;-)

Tell you what though, if we're letting these guys go, then I'm really excited about those who are coming in to replace them! Wright and Harper are exactly the kind of player we need, can't wait to see who's next on the list.

I'm amazed how quickly this club has picked itself up and set out to compete rather than just survive. I'm looking forward to this season more than any I can remember since 89-90. I put the credit for that firmly at the feet of Mr Parish & Co.
Spot on with these comments.
We have lost 6 players from the squad that saved us at Hillsborough and they were all hailed as hero's at the time, but many of our fans have slagged them off as they have left one by one.
I also feel that Danny went because of wages rather than a wish to leave the club, which does not fill me with the same confidence of what we will get to replace these players.
It was a threadbare squad at Hillsborough and 6 have gone with 1 coming in, but time will tell and for the time being I can't get excited about next years prospects.

jobiinthelastmi
30-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Well only when the club had any money.

FACT - Danny Butterfield was a good defender
FACT - Danny Butterfield was a great servant
FACT - Danny Butterfield's hat trick is and will be Palace folklore for years to come
FACT - Danny Butterfield was never a glamour player but anyone who can't appreciate the 8 years he gave Palace is in my opinion insane

FACT - If Danny had an offer he wanted to accept and GB felt he couldn't match it, the he is right not to do so and it is time to move on, with no bitterness, no angst, a friendly handshake and good wishes at his new club

He wasn't a good defender, he was okay. He was prone to the odd **** up.

I would never describe him as being a solid championship defender and will be suprised if he doesn't find his way into league one within a year

RednBlue
30-06-2010, 08:56 PM
I liked Danny B. One of My favourite players. Cheer and good luck Danny:) Seconded. Great servant, lovely bloke and I wish him good luck wherever he goes. Thanks Danny.

Absolution
30-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't want to have a dig at the guy, but I think the last game of the season highlighted how he was no longer the player he was. The mistake for Clarke's equaliser was quite shocking under the circumstances, Butterfield of old didn't make those errors.

Absolution
30-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Also, thanks to Lawrence who has done a solid job for us since he signed. He took a lot of stick last season, but he really stepped up in those last games and got the best out of his experience. Thank you!

Charlieboy
30-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Good attitude and great servant to the club, would've liked to have seen him stay an extra year but George Burley obviously has his intentions in what he wants to do. Best of Luck wherever you go Butterfield.

EL JIMBO
30-06-2010, 09:12 PM
To be honest I cannot be happy seeing last years fighting team broken up. I understand that some of this was due to circumstances with the Cva dragging on.
It is also a new boss and may be time to start afresh; but I cannot do anything but admire Butts and Lawrence for their commitment last season along with Ertl Derry and Hill, other players would have capitulated in their position.

Good luck to the entire class of 2009/10 although I would like to think we can keep a few of you.

biggus mickus
30-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Are you dumb? It says he had an offer from another club we couldn't match. So not exactly releasing him, is it? :rolleyes:

ROFLMAO.:D

pistol
30-06-2010, 09:42 PM
To be honest I cannot be happy seeing last years fighting team broken up. I understand that some of this was due to circumstances with the Cva dragging on.
It is also a new boss and may be time to start afresh; but I cannot do anything but admire Butts and Lawrence for their commitment last season along with Ertl Derry and Hill, other players would have capitulated in their position.

Good luck to the entire class of 2009/10 although I would like to think we can keep a few of you.

Spot on mate:p

IanH
30-06-2010, 09:48 PM
The Consortium made it clear to Burley that what he saves on existing players' wages he can spend on new players' wages. There are so many players out of contract in the Championship, Burley can basically build himself a new team this summer without spending anything on fees if he lets players like Lawrence, Butterfield and Hill go. Makes sense to me.

Celestial Empire
30-06-2010, 09:53 PM
What with them and Derry going the average age of the team/squad must be plumetting.

Butterfield is 30, Wright is 30.:confused:

Absolution
30-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Butterfield is 30, Wright is 30.:confused:But Derry and Lawrence are going, and I doubt we will replace them with a 32 and 36 year old midfielder/defender. I think that is what he is getting at!

Butterfield gave off the impression he was older than he actually was anyway. With his injuries he probably had the fitness of a 32/33 year old.

limited_edition
30-06-2010, 10:07 PM
It's the curse of that hair helmet haircut that made them leave, I tell you. Relieved Lenny has gone. If Butts going means that Clyne will deffo be staying , then so be it. Maybe it'll mean Wright as back up.

Owngoal
30-06-2010, 10:10 PM
YEAH, and im only 14 :'(

Going on 5.......

hughff
30-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Sad that Danny has gone as I felt he still had something to offer, not least because of his versatility. However, his best position is probably the area where we have the most cover, so I can see why we wouldn't want to match the other offer. I also believe that he needs to look out for himself and take the better offer. Best of luck Danny. You'll be missed in the dressing room, I'm sure.

As for Matt, I think he's reached the end of the line as far as the Championship goes and I hope he finds a League 1 club soon. Best of luck to a solid citizen who's no longer up to it.

maestro
30-06-2010, 10:29 PM
I know most wont agree but to be honest I never reated him as a defender, as soon as any winger ran it him he used to use to just back off and back off untill we ended up conceeding a corner.

I actually think its not a bad thing for him to move on but I wish him all the best as although he wasnt my favourite he seemed a great bloke.

PJJY
30-06-2010, 10:30 PM
butterfeild is too good he needs to stay i agree with u PALACE_FOR_LIFE

Hello PALACE_FOR_LIFE.

jamie12
30-06-2010, 10:32 PM
As sad as I am to see Butts go, one of my all-time fave Palace players, I feel we can't let feelings get in the way. We have a cracking new right back in Nathaniel, and Butts, God bless him, isn't what he used to be, thanks for everything geeze and good luck :p

cranesparkeagle
30-06-2010, 10:47 PM
A shame in a way as I think the Burley style might suit Butts better than the way Warnock approached football. Butts was a decent passer, crosser and player, no mere stopper. He rarely troubled refs as he stayed on his feet and timed his tackles. This fooled some people into thinking him a soft touch. It is clear that he was also a positive force in the dressing room as one of the team funny guys.
I wish him well after his sterling service and have no problem if at his age he has a better offer than clinging on for a pre-season testimonial before 5000 people
Cheers Danny.

elgin eagle
30-06-2010, 11:14 PM
By the sound of things, Stern John will probably be off as well but GB hasn't been able to contact him yet. Its sad in a way, but that squad will always have the memory of a really dramatic season which ultimately ended happily.

Its time for a new, younger squad to emerge with a different footballing style. It may take time to start to work, it may be top of the league after 20 games, or it may be inconsistent throughout the season, but it will definitely be a different style than what we have been used to :)

nealcpfc
30-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Millwall allegedly

I thought I read somewhere he was offered a better deal at Sheff Utd, which would also tie in with his misses allegedly wanting to move back up north. That probaly means he's on his way to the Clowns a la Dowie!

Sussex Eagle
30-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Thought Dan had his best season in years in the one just gone, sad to see him go. Would frankly have been disappointed to see Matty's contract renewed, but he put in some fierce performances in big games, another good guy.

Kuqi32
01-07-2010, 01:07 AM
12 professionals :eek:

Matt Lawrence
Not everybody's favourite player; but he has been a good servant to the club - Wolves last season, he was immense - good luck Matty :)

Danny Butterfield
It is the end of an era, 200+ games, he is a true legend, that famous day against Wolves which we, nor he will ever forget; thanks for the memories Danny; we'll never forget you :)

Purley_Eagle
01-07-2010, 03:12 AM
Im glad was able to see Butts Hat-trick.

I think i saw him play his first game for palace int he UK in a pre-season against Carshalton, Can anyone confirm.

Arron
01-07-2010, 04:56 AM
Shame Butts has gone but that's modern football I'm afraid. A Palace legend and will always be remembered for THAT hat-trick. As for Matty it's probably right to let him go, he was immense for us toward the end of the season so leaves with my thanks for a job well done.

davemorris04
01-07-2010, 06:31 AM
"Danny I will miss you for being absolute class in our promotion season, THAT goal against Sunderland and THAT perfect hattrick against Wolves, but ultimately for 8 years of top service and by all accounts being a top bloke.

Both players will get a great reception from me if they come back to Selhurst Park."

Further to this - Danny will have played for both Charlton and Millwall soon! But fair play to him, I'll still always think of him fondly.

TC EAGLE
01-07-2010, 06:39 AM
It is a sad day when stalwarts like butts and Lawrence have to move on BUT the clubs rebuilding, having a fresh start, new owners, new manager it's onwards and upwards for Crystal Palace

Maiden Eagle
01-07-2010, 07:01 AM
It is a sad day when stalwarts like butts and Lawrence have to move on BUT the clubs rebuilding, having a fresh start, new owners, new manager it's onwards and upwards for Crystal Palace

Agreed - I thought Danny had a great season, we were promoted in 2003/4, but then he picked up a bad groin injury, missed virtually all the Prem season
and seemed to lose what pace he had.
And Matty Lawrence, despite all the stick he got from the fans, did a really solid job in the back 4. Mind you, I preferred him playing at Centre half i/o of Right Back, where his distribution and crossing were shocking !

GodstoneEagle
01-07-2010, 07:09 AM
I fear that the core of our great team spirit may have left with Ertl, Butts and Derry on the way out :(

However both always gave everything for this club and in Danny's case, for a bloody long time. During an administration period, players like Lawrence are gold dust and his combo with Paddy Mac at Watford and Derby was vital.

sydnsteve
01-07-2010, 07:44 AM
I don't want to have a dig at the guy, but I think the last game of the season highlighted how he was no longer the player he was. The mistake for Clarke's equaliser was quite shocking under the circumstances, Butterfield of old didn't make those errors.

Oh yes he did! Always a better attacker than defender. I am sad he is off. Same for Matt, he had a great game vs SW.

Big Blue Eagle
01-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Players move on, clubs and fans stay put - always been the way of football. Very few players these days are one club men. Lawrence and and Butts have served us well and can move on with pride, leaving some good memories.

But this is a new era with new players. Clyne needs to be a regular to convince him to stay and also to improve - hence Butts could not have been a regular, while Lawrence was running on guts alone for most of the season as his legs are not up to the Champ anymore, and a new "utility" man is needed - looks like Wright.

A bit like I could sort of understand Jordan's philosophy of changing of the manager post admin last time due to different mentality required (although the choice of Smith was shocking!) I can see the same here. We had a hard scrapping "dogs of war" mentality throughout Warnock's era which was exaggerated in admin. Now we are looking to build something new and Burley & Freedman clearly want to look at a new more footballing future and therefore it is right for Lawrence, Hill, Derry & Ertl to move on, plus Danny if he wants to be a regular starter.

Thanks, goodbye and good luck.

Psychokiller
01-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Much as I like Danny Butts I'm glad GB is putting his mark on the squad. CPFC2010 did say that they were going to rebuild the club from top to bottom and that's clearly what's happening. I thought that the coming season would be a long hard slog against relegation but looking at the players we're being linked with I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was the total opposite, this being Palace :p

Beanie
01-07-2010, 08:05 AM

Whilst I agree that last years team did a marvellous job and they will forever be part of Palace history, I actually think that it is a good thing to break that side up, at least a little. In the same way that Paul Hart was a manager for a specific task who was not the one to take us forward, so that team had a "personality" for the fight which again might not be the way forward. We needed backs to the wall battlers and in Derry, Hill, Lawrence and even to a degree Ertl and Butterfield we got just that, BUT - we also got a mentality of doing "just enough" to stay up, which we did. If that team stays together then that mentality might. In George Burley we have a manager who likes the ball on the ground and to pass, is that the role these players are best suited for? Can't see it myself. Time to say goodbye, to have the last memory as Hillsborough and not to watch them slide slowly from view, as I fear they will.

All the best boys, and thanks for all you did to help the club survive. Hopefully everybody will come out of this well.

Benzhiyi
01-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks Danny. Longest serving player and has been a stalwart. Especially loved him leading the Clowns into League One.

However, Teaser will not be best pleased.

jhc
01-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Sorry to see Danny Butterfield go after so many years in an Eagles shirt. A great servant to the club. He clearly has another contract lined up and good luck to him.
Thanks for the memories:hi:

Voldo
01-07-2010, 09:35 AM
I fear that the core of our great team spirit may have left with Ertl, Butts and Derry on the way out :(

The Future is Calvin Andrew in this field....

:cool:

PALACEWU
01-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Butterfield himself must be quite upset, he loves this club.

DaveP
01-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Butterfield himself must be quite upset, he loves this club.

Palace were preapred and ready to offer him a new contract, however Danny stated he had an offer aswell from another club and that offer was something that Palace couldn't match so it was likely from that point Danny would be leaving.

As everyone else has said, Danny was a great servant for us for the 9 years he has been here and wish him all the best for his career.

Lambeth Palace
01-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Best of luck to the pair of them.

Dobbo
01-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Good luck Butts, wherever you go. Thanks for 8 years honest endeavour.

gold76
01-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Two real Palace stalwarts, full of heart & endeavour

Good luck to them both

Burley is indeed putting his own stamp on the squad, leaving no room for sentiment, not necessarily a bad thing

Ninja Eric
13-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Not sure whether it has been mentioned anywhere else but Butts has signed for Charlton

Crunchie
13-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Not sure whether it has been mentioned anywhere else but Butts has signed for Charlton

:(

If Clyne does go, we may regret not offering another year contract (on reduced wages).

Still Wright can play there too

maxpower
13-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Source?

elgin eagle
13-07-2010, 08:56 PM
ninja eric

pauldrulez
13-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Secret Agent returns again.

Ninja Eric
13-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Secret Agent returns again.

;)

Same source as the O'Keefe signing and the Simon Francis to Chorlton - can't say I'm afraid, but very reliable. Both should be announced over the next week

David Amsalem
13-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Im glad was able to see Butts Hat-trick.

To think, I almost never went to that game.

CPFC_DAVE77
13-07-2010, 09:51 PM
I saw Butts first goal, my rather rotund friend who sits next to me accidentally smashed me in the nose when he scored the first. I was in the gents plugging my nose up when the second, and to my half delight/half horror the third went in.

Cleon
09-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Can somebody let me know why Matt Lawrence is still listed as a Palace player on the official website?

a9lpc
09-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Can somebody let me know why Matt Lawrence is still listed as a Palace player on the official website?

and why Simon Jordan is still the chairman....:p

cockles
09-08-2010, 08:27 AM

Given that 29 people were let go in May and that since then the club managed to:

* get taken over
* buy the stadium
* hire near all new coaching & training ground staff
* sign new players & new contracts
* issue season tickets and new ticket pricing
* get all our signings registered
* win the 1st fixture on Saturday

.......I'm willing to overlook them not getting them not updating an html page ;)

Absolution
09-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Given that 29 people were let go in May and that since then the club managed to:

* get taken over
* buy the stadium
* hire near all new coaching & training ground staff
* sign new players & new contracts
* issue season tickets and new ticket pricing
* get all our signings registered
* win the 1st fixture on Saturday

.......I'm willing to overlook them not getting them not updating an html page ;)I have a feeling that the player profiles are set up by the 3rd party that runs all the websites as they basically transfer profiles from other teams when players join.

Problem is Lawrence hasn't gone anywhere else, same as Comley.

cockles
09-08-2010, 09:25 AM
I have a feeling that the player profiles are set up by the 3rd party that runs all the websites as they basically transfer profiles from other teams when players join.

Problem is Lawrence hasn't gone anywhere else, same as Comley.

You are probably spot on there. "Premium TV" isn't it.

Gooders
09-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Surprised Matty hasn't pitched up somewhere - could do a job for a year for someone.

mushroom
09-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Surprised Matty hasn't pitched up somewhere - could do a job for a year for someone.
He will end up at Millwall or Brighton

m_reid
09-08-2010, 09:40 AM

could have sworn he joined southampton

Thanet Eagle
09-08-2010, 09:42 AM
could have sworn he joined southampton

He has.

m_reid
09-08-2010, 09:44 AM
He has.

thought so, thought i was imagining things for a minuite there

cockles
09-08-2010, 09:48 AM
He will end up at Millwall or Brighton

Brighton or Bournemouth are my guesses. Butts played for Soton on Saturday.

Typical Palace
09-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Matty's had a couple of offers; Yeovil was one of them, but he didn't fancy it out west. Not enough indie discos.

sydnsteve
09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Excellent source, as Butts signed for Saints on July 17th

mushroom
09-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Matty lives close to Brighton, so i can see him there. He won't play anywhere too far from home.

gold76
09-08-2010, 08:44 PM
In the current bun today, Matty is linked with Gillinham & Huddersfield
Same page, a little snippet has Flahavan talking to Pompey.

Sir.S.C Remembered
09-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Matty would do very well to get Huddersfield. Imagine he would prefer Gillingham location wise. I know he just played a fair bit in the Championship, but with how many players struggle to find a club and him being 36 I think he should bite the hand off of any league club, especially one where he woudn't have to uproot from

cpfcfan1
12-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Lawrence to the Gills

http://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/page/PressReleases/0,,10416~2119585,00.html

Good luck Matty

Absolution
12-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Good luck Matt.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
12-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Good for him - glad he found a club