PDA

View Full Version : Six or Seven hopefully to join palace in next few weeks.

Pages : [1] 2

hamge
30-06-2010, 03:22 PM
PALACE boss George Burley is closing in on two new signings and hopes to have them wrapped up by the end of the week.

The 54-year-old is left with only 12 senior professionals after out of contract stars Clint Hill, Danny Butterfield and Matt Lawrence followed last year's captain Shaun Derry out of the club.

Burley bolstered his options with the signature of David Wright yesterday but is far from finished in the transfer market yet.

"I'm hoping to add six or seven more in the next few weeks," he said. "We are extremely close with one or two and we're hoping to announce at least one by the end of the week."

Midfielder James Harper has been linked with a switch to Palace and Burley admitted he is in his sights.

"We're looking at free transfers and loans at the moment and James is one we're speaking to," he said.

*For all the latest Palace news see Friday's Croydon Advertiser

hamge
30-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Sorry...read the article wrong....6 or 7 possible....Very sorry.

craigybaby
30-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Sorry...read the article wrong....6 or 7 possible....Very sorry.

Thats a stoning for the incorrect title right there!

rhynoeagle
30-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Ones we know he's looking at - Harper, Richard Wright, Lloyd Sam.

I reckon the "We are extremely close with one or two and we're hoping to announce at least one by the end of the week" is in referance to Harper and R Wright.

Here's hoping about Harper. :D

st albans
30-06-2010, 03:44 PM
shame we're still only looking at loans and free's. thought there might have been some money available

and 12 senior professionals!!! really?

Seaside Eagle
30-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Harper and Lloyd Sam; please. You can keep Richard Wright, and we'll take Speroni.

Not a bad first few weeks for George Burley, if true :D

I'm so excited about the new season. Here's hoping for an amazing atmosphere first game, with a massive attendance.

FraserH
30-06-2010, 03:46 PM
please get harper

EagleSE24
30-06-2010, 03:47 PM
C. Morrison makes 4. So who other the 2-3? Pacy striker please...

Seaside Eagle
30-06-2010, 03:50 PM
shame we're still only looking at loans and free's. thought there might have been some money available

I would expect that we'll sign some people for money, but not yet. I suspect that George Burley will look at free transfers first, to see if we can sign a few gems/squad players, we're incredibly short on squad professionals, as you said.

After he's scoured the free agents for a while, he'll start to enquire about loans and purchases for money. Hopefully we'll be able to get some great players on the cheap.

No point buying a player, when we can get one just as good for nothing!

If we can sign 6/7 more players (including James Harper - quality player, would be absolutely ecstatic) and keep hold of Danns/Ambrose/Clyne/Speroni/Paddy, and our other players of good quality, we'll do very well indeed next season.
How does a midfield containing Scott Sinclair (yes please), Darren Ambrose and James Harper in it sound for a promotion winning team? (Not saying we should expect it, but aiming high is always good)

George Burley seems to really know what he's doing in the transfer market, from early signs, at least. I'm really looking forward to this next season! :lux:

cranesparkeagle
30-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Harper particularly would be some free signing

Dingle
30-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Could Dorman be one of the six/seven?

Eddie'S Dad
30-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Butts has gone?!

PeterH
30-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Butts has gone?!

This?

NateEagle
30-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Butts has gone?!

Butts and Lawrence both released :(

Oh south london
30-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Sounds good to me. I don't think we need to pay fees to assemble a quality squad. There are so many good players avalible atm on frees.

NateEagle
30-06-2010, 04:05 PM
This?

http://www.sportcroydon.co.uk/footballnews/Exclusive-Butterfield-Lawrence-allowed-leave-Crystal-Palace/article-2363947-detail/article.html?

EagleSE24
30-06-2010, 04:07 PM
This?

Yup. Left with Matty L today.

Using a little creative license and based on BBS hearsay, I'm going to suggest our team lining up on the first day of the season could be.

-------------Speroni-----------
Clyne -- Paddy -- Davis -- Wright
Ambrose Danns Harper Dorman
--------Clinton ----Lee

Not bad for starters.

Stellavista
30-06-2010, 04:13 PM

Using a little creative license and based on BBS hearsay, I'm going to suggest our team lining up on the first day of the season could be.

--------Clinton ----Lee

Not bad for starters.

I think we have to have at least one much more mobile centre-back for that sort of midfield to work, and I'm nor convinced that putting Ambrose out left is the best use of his talent.

Having said that, I am rather looking forward to seeing some passing football at Selhurst. Let's hope that Burley had a good chat with the ground staff, and that the pitch is up to it.
That style of play will take a while to bed in, so we may be on the end of a tonking on two early on. It's going to require patience.

EagleSE24
30-06-2010, 04:16 PM
I think we have to have at least one much more mobile centre-back for that sort of midfield to work, and I'm nor convinced that putting Ambrose out left is the best use of his talent.

Having said that, I am rather looking forward to seeing some passing football at Selhurst. Let's hope that Burley had a good chat with the ground staff, and that the pitch is up to it.
That style of play will take a while to bed in, so we may be on the end of a tonking on two early on. It's going to require patience.

He's on the right.

Could go with

Ambrose Harper Danns

Scannel Lee Dorman

Stellavista
30-06-2010, 04:23 PM
He's on the right.

Could go with

Ambrose Harper Danns

Scannel Lee Dorman

Sorry, 'tis what I meant, but it applies out wide anywhere.
And I think my point about centre backs still applies.
We've lost our two, and don't look like we are going to play, with really defensive midfielders, so you need at least one CB who can cover the ground. Neither Macca or the Beast are that player.

Del Gland
30-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Maybe 5 are office workers that were shoved out!!

PeterH
30-06-2010, 04:31 PM
I wish Matty and Danny the best in their search for new clubs.

cpfcben
30-06-2010, 04:32 PM
No Matt l. Whoop. No Danny b. Bad.

mushroom
30-06-2010, 04:35 PM

--------Clinton ----Lee

Not bad for starters. Not much pace

GreatGonzo
30-06-2010, 04:40 PM
I wish Matty and Danny the best in their search for new clubs.

Danny doesn't have to search, he has a contract on the table he just needs to sign it now he knows Palace will not match it.

doodledandy
30-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Danny doesn't have to search, he has a contract on the table he just needs to sign it now he knows Palace will not match it.
The fact that we have Clyne at right back would mean that Butts was always going to be second choice and all GB could offer him was a salary appropriate to that situation. I'm sorry to say, it's his time and i wish him well.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 05:10 PM
L R
-------------Speroni------------
Sam -- Paddy -- Wright -- Clyne
--------- Danns - Harper -------
--Ambrose---------------Dorman
----------Clinton ----Lee-------

Dorman and ambrose wingers/Am cos theyre strengths are bangin in longshots!!

CPFC987
30-06-2010, 05:28 PM
L R

bangin' innit.

FromSelhurst
30-06-2010, 05:47 PM
L R

back 4 is a mess!

sam? lloyd sam at right back? :clown:

Palace Kebab
30-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Does Burley historically tend to play 4-4-2?

Chris K
30-06-2010, 06:37 PM

There may well be, but now is the time to be stocking up on all the decent free talent that is out there. Make use of it whilst its there and then later down the line splash £1.5m+ (or the full budget) on one player that will guarante us promotion!! :lux:

cpfcfan1
30-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Speroni
Clyne, Paddy, Davis, Wright

Sam, Ambrose, Danns, Martin

Lee Morrison

;)

BulletEagle
30-06-2010, 06:43 PM
1. Harper
2. Dorman
3. Wright
4. Lloyd Sam
5. Barrett
6. ?
7. ?

cpfcben
30-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Sam is not a fullback

danpalace07
30-06-2010, 06:47 PM
1. Harper
2. Dorman
3. Wright
4. Lloyd Sam
5. Clint Mo
6. ?
7. ?
EFA (apparently...)

Woosie
30-06-2010, 06:49 PM
back 4 is a mess!

It's better than that, Lloyd Sam is at left back - he put it as Left to Right.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 06:50 PM
back 4 is a mess!

Left side-----------------Right side :)
-------------Speroni----------------
--Sam -- Paddy -- Wright -- Clyne--
--------- Danns -- Harper ----------
--Ambrose---------------Dorman---
----------Clinton --Paynter---------
Gk.Speroni
Lb.LLOYD SAM
Rb.Clyne
Cb.Padds
Cb.Wright
Lm.Ambrose
Cm.Danns
cm.Harper
Rm.Dorman
St.Morrison
St.Paynter

chatham_eagle
30-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Sam is a winger and Paynter signed for Leeds about 2 weeks ago :clown:

Woosie
30-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Left side-----------------Right side :)
-------------Speroni----------------
--Sam -- Paddy -- Wright -- Clyne--
--------- Danns -- Harper ----------
--Ambrose---------------Dorman---
----------Clinton --Paynter---------
Gk.Speroni
Lb.LLOYD SAM
Rb.Clyne
Cb.Padds
Cb.Wright
Lm.Ambrose
Cm.Danns
cm.Harper
Rm.Dorman
St.Morrison
St.Paynter

I'm pretty sure Paynter is going/has gone to Leeds mate.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Sam is a winger and Paynter signed for Leeds about 2 weeks ago :clown:
Well then Charlie Austin!! And Sam alwayz can play Lb. Did for charlton 2 seasons ago. And if we sign him always the option of having an additional winger!!

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm pretty sure Paynter is going/has gone to Leeds mate.
I made this team like 2 weeks ago so i'll update it abit and make a thread :)

spt1978
30-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Well then Charlie Austin!! And Sam alwayz can play Lb. Did for charlton 2 seasons ago. And if we sign him always the option of having an additional winger!!

Charlton went down two seasons ago !

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Charlton went down two seasons ago !
I realise that :) But what im sayin is he was their only decent player, him and that chineese guy

Psychokiller
30-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Definitely need a centre half with Hill, Ertl and Lawrence gone.

Garfy
30-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Forgive my ignorance as I've been in the sun for the last 2 weeks but who's Dorman?

cpfcfan1
30-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Andy Dorman of St Mirren

Garfy
30-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Andy Dorman of St Mirren

Is he any good?

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
30-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Need like 3 cbs and 3 cm's

maxpower
30-06-2010, 07:27 PM
we need 2 strikers, wingers, left back centre mid and centre back

cpfcfan1
30-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Is he any good?

Rated highly by them, attacking midfielder

The Bishop
30-06-2010, 07:47 PM
PALACE boss George Burley is closing in on two new signings and hopes to have them wrapped up by the end of the week.

The 54-year-old is left with only 12 senior professionals after out of contract stars Clint Hill, Danny Butterfield and Matt Lawrence followed last year's captain Shaun Derry out of the club.

Burley bolstered his options with the signature of David Wright yesterday but is far from finished in the transfer market yet.

"I'm hoping to add six or seven more in the next few weeks," he said. "We are extremely close with one or two and we're hoping to announce at least one by the end of the week."

Midfielder James Harper has been linked with a switch to Palace and Burley admitted he is in his sights.

"We're looking at free transfers and loans at the moment and James is one we're speaking to," he said.

*For all the latest Palace news see Friday's Croydon Advertiser

I'll take a guess that the two who are close to signing are James Harper and Andy Dorman.

glaziers fan
30-06-2010, 08:39 PM
The fact that we have Clyne at right back would mean that Butts was always going to be second choice and all GB could offer him was a salary appropriate to that situation. I'm sorry to say, it's his time and i wish him well.

shame NW and PH didnt agree with you but I do.

Beanie
30-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Ones we know he's looking at - Harper, Richard Wright, Lloyd Sam.

I reckon the "We are extremely close with one or two and we're hoping to announce at least one by the end of the week" is in referance to Harper and R Wright.

Here's hoping about Harper. :D
We don't know he's looking at Richard Wright - the press say he's looking at Richard Wright, George Burley says he hasn't spoken to him and doesn't plan to.

maxpower
30-06-2010, 08:47 PM
PLEASE HARPER AND DORMAN i will be ecstatic

Typical Palace
30-06-2010, 09:13 PM

Wages cost the money. That is available money. If we want cash signings we have to buy, or get mates to buy, season tickets.

See how many Championship clubs make cash signings this summer.

Beanie
01-07-2010, 07:44 AM
so if you were offered something for free you'd say "No thanks, I'll pay for it"? There are some pretty good freebies to be had (Ambrose anybody) Hang to the money until there's a need that can't be filled for free.

Excowboy
01-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Forgive my ignorance as I've been in the sun for the last 2 weeks but who's Dorman?

Like a dormouse but with human features. Very quick, but vulnerable to the lure of cheese.

Will S
01-07-2010, 07:49 AM
If he's abandoning 4-3-3 and wants to play 4-4-2 then wingers, I'd have thought. A nippy goalscorer would be useful too - but they don't tend to come on frees...

Big Blue Eagle
01-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Things are starting to shape up post some of the comments from Burley:

GK - Speroni + new No2 (not sure on Mann staying?)

RB - Clyne (Wright as cover)
LB - Hills + new one or Wright

CB - McCarthy, Davis, Wright + 1 I should think

CM - N'Diaye, Harper, Dorman, Danns

Wide MF - Cadogan, Djilali, Ambrose, Sam + 1 probably

Strikers - Lee, Andrew, Scannell (DF believes that is his role) + 2 probably

eagle-leg
01-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Things are starting to shape up post some of the comments from Burley:

GK - Speroni + new No2 (not sure on Mann staying?)

RB - Clyne (Wright as cover)
LB - Hills + new one or Wright

CB - McCarthy, Davis, Wright + 1 I should think

CM - N'Diaye, Harper, Dorman, Danns

Wide MF - Cadogan, Djilali, Ambrose, Sam + 1 probably

Strikers - Lee, Andrew, Scannell (DF believes that is his role) + 2 probably

Goalkeeping:

I expect us to sign a number 2 as per Burleys comments.

Defence:

You have Wright covering 3 positions... unfortunately as it stands... we only have 4 fit defenders.

We have lost Butterfield, Lawrence, Hill and Ertl. This being in addition to Fonte mid season.

Only Wright brought in as a replacement.

I would certainly be expecting us to add at least 2 or 3 defenders to the squad.

Midfield:

Lost - Derry, Carle, Ertl from central midfield....

Expect a minimum of 3 midfield spots to be filled. Exstatic if Harper and Dorman are two of them.

Strikers:

I expect John to go.

Moses also left mid season.

I believe a couple of strikers are required.

To summarise:

We had a small squad last year and have lost an awful lot of them. I would expect us to look to sign 9 players to bulk the squad out.

I expect a couple of these players to be loanees as I think Burley will not wish to be rushed into signing the wrong players.

Niel Smillie
01-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Goalkeeping:

I expect us to sign a number 2 as per Burleys comments.

Defence:

You have Wright covering 3 positions... unfortunately as it stands... we only have 4 fit defenders.

We have lost Butterfield, Lawrence, Hill and Ertl. This being in addition to Fonte mid season.

Only Wright brought in as a replacement.

I would certainly be expecting us to add at least 2 or 3 defenders to the squad.

Midfield:

Lost - Derry, Carle, Ertl from central midfield....

Expect a minimum of 3 midfield spots to be filled. Exstatic if Harper and Dorman are two of them.

Strikers:

I expect John to go.

Moses also left mid season.

I believe a couple of strikers are required.

To summarise:

We had a small squad last year and have lost an awful lot of them. I would expect us to look to sign 9 players to bulk the squad out.

I expect a couple of these players to be loanees as I think Burley will not wish to be rushed into signing the wrong players.
This is a good summary of our position and it does worry me that we cannot afford the wages of a 30-year-old player who has been with us for 8 years that another club is willing to pay. We are seven players from the threadbare squad that played at Hillsborough missing now and only 1 player coming in.
Yes there are plenty of players out of contract, but we have to compete with other clubs in wages to get anything worthwhile.
I still have a nagging feeling that one of our star players will be sold to enable us to compete in this area.

Absolution
01-07-2010, 08:37 AM
This is a good summary of our position and it does worry me that we cannot afford the wages of a 30-year-old player who has been with us for 8 years that another club is willing to pay. We are seven players from the threadbare squad that played at Hillsborough missing now and only 1 player coming in.
Yes there are plenty of players out of contract, but we have to compete with other clubs in wages to get anything worthwhile.
I still have a nagging feeling that one of our star players will be sold to enable us to compete in this area.Surely a player who has been at the club for 8 years would have had 2 or 3 contracts in that time? Generally speaking he isn't going to stay on the same wage for that time, and it will have risen (promotion may have effected it a fair bit), and suddenly you have a 30 year old full-back that may be on a higher rate than someone like Wright coming in.

If Sheff Utd are willing to pay a higher rate, then good luck to them.

Niel Smillie
01-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Surely a player who has been at the club for 8 years would have had 2 or 3 contracts in that time? Generally speaking he isn't going to stay on the same wage for that time, and it will have risen (promotion may have effected it a fair bit), and suddenly you have a 30 year old full-back that may be on a higher rate than someone like Wright coming in.

If Sheff Utd are willing to pay a higher rate, then good luck to them.
I am not arguing with your statement, but I do have a fear that we will be very low in the chain when it comes to competing with other championship clubs to win a good player's signature.
I have no doubt that we will get 8 or 9 players in from the free list, but will they be of a quality that will keep us in the championship.

Big Blue Eagle
01-07-2010, 08:48 AM
I am not arguing with your statement, but I do have a fear that we will be very low in the chain when it comes to competing with other championship clubs to win a good player's signature.
I have no doubt that we will get 8 or 9 players in from the free list, but will they be of a quality that will keep us in the championship.

I disagree on Butterfield. It seems clear that Burley & Freedman want Clyne as the preferred RB so Butts would be a squad player and therefore be on a wage commensurate with that, plus his last contract was signed at a time when money was less of an issue in football in general. Most clubs are offering lower contracts than a couple of years ago - what Butts may well have been offered is more first team opportunities.

Jimmy Eagle
01-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Well surely the fact we are in for Harper answers that question, no?

Also, by all accounts, we have signed a very good player in David Wright.

Garfy
01-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Sorry but do we know that the manager wanted to keep any of the players who have left or are leaving.

Niel Smillie
01-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Well surely the fact we are in for Harper answers that question, no?

Also, by all accounts, we have signed a very good player in David Wright.
We are reported to be in for Harper and if we get him I might feel a little easier that we are competing. Yes we have signed Wright but he has to be some player to replace the 7 we have already lost that were all recognised championship standard.

Johnnieboy
01-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I do have a fear that we will be very low in the chain when it comes to competing with other championship clubs to win a good player's signature.

It may not all be about money (he says, naively). Given the rumoured state of the finances of many clubs at the moment, and that we have just come out of administration, Palace may be seen as a safer haven than some other clubs over the next few years, which could swing the decision in the minds of one or two players.

Mind you, I'm not a footballer so perhaps my head works differently....

Psychokiller
01-07-2010, 08:56 AM
We desperately need a quick, mobile centre half to play alongside Paddy. Such players are a bit thin on the ground at the moment so I wonder if Burley has any European players in mind. He tends to unearth decent gems from the continent wherever he goes.

kolinkins
01-07-2010, 08:57 AM
I think he has an ex-Southampton freebie in mind

Niel Smillie
01-07-2010, 08:59 AM
It may not all be about money (he says, naively). Given the rumoured state of the finances of many clubs at the moment, and that we have just come out of administration, Palace may be seen as a safer haven than some other clubs over the next few years, which could swing the decision in the minds of one or two players.

Mind you, I'm not a footballer so perhaps my head works differently....
It obviously is all about money when Ertl, Derry and Butterfield fight to save the club they say they love, but all leave to go no further up the league ladder but for more money.

adrenalin john
01-07-2010, 09:00 AM
This is a good summary of our position and it does worry me that we cannot afford the wages of a 30-year-old player who has been with us for 8 years that another club is willing to pay.

You're right this could be a worry, or it could be that Burley simply rates him as a 3k a week player and some other club rates him as a 6k a week player.

Or it could be that Burley didn't rate him at all and is just being polite and politic knowing Butterfield is popular.

Or it could be Danny went in claiming to have this ridiculous offer from another club and Burley called his bluff.

We don't know. Whatever the truth I do like the message sent that we are not prepared to be mugged over for high wages.

Who has Danny signed for, given he had an offer in place?

Oisin
01-07-2010, 09:01 AM

Not a shame at all, right strategy. Academic studies have shown that a football's club success is only weakly correlated to how much it spends on transfers but there is a strong correlation between success and wages. A club in our position should be able to find every type of player they want on a free.
I think I'm going to repeat this argument again and again over the next few weeks.

Isn't it great to be coming in Transfer Hotline for good news? I'd been avoiding it last year

Gazza2
01-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Very true....some football academics did a very long-term study on main European leagues and concluded that there is a 92% correlation between player wage bill and final league placing.

Psychokiller
01-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Who? :confused:

Stavros 69
01-07-2010, 09:12 AM
We are toothless upfront.

GUCCI Eagle
01-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Can't believe we let the goal machine go. Danny Butts must be one of the best strikers in the Championship.

rhynoeagle
01-07-2010, 09:15 AM

Is that a guess ?

Does anyone have a list of the soon-to-be released Soton players ? Just out of curiosity.

sydnsteve
01-07-2010, 09:25 AM
I would certainly only want Davis as cover. He is a comedy defender.

Garfy
01-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Is that a guess ?

Does anyone have a list of the soon-to-be released Soton players ? Just out of curiosity.

Surely not Chris Perry

Abjekt
01-07-2010, 09:50 AM
We definitely need a couple of strikers. Alan Lee needs someone playing off him. He does loads of hard work, wins tons of headers and a lot of the time the ball goes into space where there's a distinct lack of Palace players. If we can get someone nippy to work that problem out, I'll be a happy man.

Aaroncpfc
01-07-2010, 10:03 AM
So going by rumours there's Richard Wright, James Harper, Andy Dorman, Clinton Morrison and 2/3 others. Any guesses on who they could be?

Big Blue Eagle
01-07-2010, 10:04 AM
So going by rumours there's Richard Wright, James Harper, Andy Dorman, Clinton Morrison and 2/3 others. Any guesses on who they could be?

Not Richard Wright - he's been flatly denied by Burley. David Wright is a yes though.

GodstoneEagle
01-07-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm not convinced Burley will go for Morrison but the others sound plausible and would be great signings IMO.

jordanismygod
01-07-2010, 10:05 AM
GB said he hasn't spoken to Richard Wright and wouldn't expect he would want to come to the club as a number 2 anyway.

liberal clubber
01-07-2010, 10:27 AM
yes, he's much better in goal-coat?

Owngoal
01-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Wonder who we might get as a no 2 for Jules? Will help him train and we need someone half decent in case of injury. Senility but liked the young Everton keeper (Fraser???) who seems to have fallen down their pecking order

FraserH
01-07-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm not convinced Burley will go for Morrison but the others sound plausible and would be great signings IMO.

morrison wont happen imo. people are just wetting their pants because they want him back so much

rhynoeagle
01-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Wonder who we might get as a no 2 for Jules? Will help him train and we need someone half decent in case of injury. Senility but liked the young Everton keeper (Fraser???) who seems to have fallen down their pecking order

I know Flahavans stropped out before. But i read that GB is considering offering him a new deal.

Owngoal
01-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I know Flahavans stropped out before. But i read that GB is considering offering him a new deal.
Hope not, he is a very average keeper and I'd feel as happy as I did when we had Flinders in goal........

Psychokiller
01-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I would hope not, apparently he tried stirring shit up in the camp when the wages didn't go in last season. He can f uck right off.

ThisIsDoM
01-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Is anyone else worried that having created a settled squad with such a great team spirit that it has been decimated and we are now virtually creating a new side which won't have gelled by the start of the season?

hoskingt
01-07-2010, 11:11 AM
I think James Harper would be a great signing myself. We do need a few players after losing Derry, Lawrence, Butts and Ertl. Nice to be signing players though after what seems like an age of having the embargo. :p

Kipungu
01-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Is anyone else worried that having created a settled squad with such a great team spirit that it has been decimated and we are now virtually creating a new side which won't have gelled by the start of the season?

If it was players like Paddy, Danns, Ambrose, Clyne, Speroni then maybe. But the people let go so far have all been players who are reaching the twilight of their careers and are already past their best. Theres no point in keeping players who we wont be able to get rid of when we dont need them anymore, paying their wages and just waiting for their contracts to run down or getting a very minimal fee for them.

Hill and Derry losing/lost their legs, for all their passion, as time goes on, theyre only gonna get skinned by quick players more and more.

Lawrence, 36, nuff said.

Butterfield didnt like the contract on offer, chose to leave, fair enough.

Ertl chose to go.

If a contract was offered, these players would want at least the same wage theyre on now if not a slightly improved one. These are their last few playing years (Ertl aside), they need all the money they can make to set themselves up comfortably, theyve got families etc, they wouldnt want to reduce their wages now when they can get guaranteed football elsewhere for the same or more money.

Its time to get some fresh blood in and move forward and trust Burley to make his own decent team.

Boyandy
01-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Ertl was the only one I was genuinely sorry to see go to be honest. So at present I'm not too worried that we've lost so many - all solid players but all replaceable.

GreatGonzo
01-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Thought i would bring a little context to the number of players needed:

Our squad at present has just 12 players contracted to next season i believe, debate on if Hills has another year on his but included in the number. We know 3 of the younger out of contract players have been offered new terms but have not get signed.

The average number of players used by Championship sides was a shade over 33.5 last season, the highest being Derby on 42 and the lowest Forest on 25. We were 4th from lowest on 'just' 28 players.

Assuming the 3 younger players sign, we have 15, 7 more will put us to 22 so IMO we would still be requiring a couple to step up from the Academy for a few games and some possible loans.

Unlikely we will not need at least 25 players throughout next season so only have half of them in at present.

Jimmy Eagle
01-07-2010, 11:53 AM

No

Will S
01-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Yes, but that's out of anyone's hands. The two biggest, positive influences in the dressing room - Derry and Hill, have left of their own accord. We are short on numbers and must bring in new blood, added to which we'll be playing a different style anyway which will have an effect on things. I trust the likes of Dougie, Paddy and Alan Lee to provide the leadership and continuity we need. Feeling rosier about our prospects by the day.

dufski13
01-07-2010, 12:01 PM
There may well be, but now is the time to be stocking up on all the decent free talent that is out there. Make use of it whilst its there and then later down the line splash £1.5m+ (or the full budget) on one player that will guarante us promotion!! :lux:

Ah the old magic player that will guarantee promotion, like Akinbuyi or Kuqi you mean ???

Beanie
01-07-2010, 12:03 PM
No - the type of team that did so well last year is not the type of team that we need this year. Footballers are used to changing - and at the moment its only Hall and Derry who were certainties, the others wouldn't have been in the team if the squad was fit.

SE25Eagle
01-07-2010, 12:08 PM

No.

Chris K
01-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Ah the old magic player that will guarantee promotion, like Akinbuyi or Kuqi you mean ???

Jesus, I posted that at about 7 last night! I can't believe its taken so long for someone to bite. :D

nathe
01-07-2010, 12:14 PM

No. Also GB wants to play passing, attacking football. A lot of the players leaving won't fit into that system.

We also still have the spine of the team - Speroni, McCarthy, Danns, Ambrose and Lee.

Clapham Grand
01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Ertl was the only one I was genuinely sorry to see go to be honest. So at present I'm not too worried that we've lost so many - all solid players but all replaceable.

wise words

dufski13
01-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Jesus, I posted that at about 7 last night! I can't believe its taken so long for someone to bite. :D

Hehehe, well it made me smile.

henryhallandhisbasque
01-07-2010, 12:42 PM
The club has signed a new player and is actually considering bringing in some more. That's a huge contrast from the very dark days of the end of Jordan’s reign and then administration and a massive positive in itself compared to a few weeks back when it looked like all our current players would be sold to pay off creditors and not one be replaced.

We've lost a fair few out of contracts, yes, and that was always likely to happen, but of the ones to leave to date, Lawrence was past it, Hill, Derry and Butterfield all over 30 with their best years behind them, Carle's Palace career never really got off the ground and Ertl (good bloke he appeared to be) was not exactly the most skilled player ever to wear the Palace shirt and even if he’d been Attilio Lombardo the Second, he’d decided to sign for somebody else with the Palace still in very serious trouble at the time, whilst others chose to remain when they could well have pushed transfers through if they’d wanted to during the latter days of administration.

Our best players (Speroni, Clyne, McCarthy, Danns and Ambrose) remain and if we can keep them, bring-on some more of our younger players and add in some decent and more experienced external additions to the squad, I still think we can have a successful season with our new and proven Championship level manager and his young, committed and eager-to-learn assistant manager, backed of course by the breath of fresh air new owners.

Maxwell_CPFC
01-07-2010, 12:53 PM
If James Harper was released by Sheff Utd surely they do not rate him at this level?

Or am i getting this wrong?

Absolution
01-07-2010, 01:12 PM
If James Harper was released by Sheff Utd surely they do not rate him at this level?

Or am i getting this wrong?He may have not wanted to stay?

Boyandy
01-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Probably, but could be a combination of reasons. I did read somewhere that he didn't like it up north.

He's a risk but then again Ambrose was. Someone's cast-off could be someone else's gem if they have the right environment.

adrenalin john
01-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Not so long ago I was thinking as long as we have a club, I will be very happy to watch our youth team playing in League One.

If we keep, McCarthy, Scannel, Ambrose, Speroni, Clynne and Danns I will be delighted.

That we have already started adding to that roster is brilliant.

I really do hope though the kids get chances

Celestial Empire
01-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Not so long ago I was thinking as long as we have a club, I will be very happy to watch our youth team playing in League One.

If we keep, McCarthy, Scannel, Ambrose, Speroni, Clynne and Danns I will be delighted.

That we have already started adding to that roster is brilliant.

I really do hope though the kids get chances

:p
ShefU will be an interesting watch this season. Blackwell seems to be trying to rebuild, I wonder what role he sees Ertl performing.
I have the feeling Blackie will be an early management casualty next season.

Webb
01-07-2010, 04:33 PM
I think Harper is worth a shot - still remember when we played Reading the season they went up, and he ran the show that night.

Even if he isn't at the same level as then, injury/age/home sickness permitting post Sheffield, he's worth a punt in my eyes.

rhynoeagle
01-07-2010, 06:50 PM

He wasn't released by Sheff Utd. He was released by Reading, they loaned him out to Sheff Utd, maybe it wasn't his right club, theres no passion there all just £££.

I'd love to see him at palace :love:

AmberleyEagle
01-07-2010, 07:15 PM
He wasn't released by Sheff Utd. He was released by Reading, they loaned him out to Sheff Utd, maybe it wasn't his right club, theres no passion there all just £££.

I'd love to see him at palace :love:

nope he was at sheffu permenantly, signed in january until the end of the season, probably didnt want to extend his contract, would be a good signing if true

rhynoeagle
01-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Harper sounds like a level headed guy too.

Harper rejected the chance to go to the 2006 FIFA World Cup with Ghana, saying: "I've never even been to Ghana." He would have qualified to play for Ghana because his mother was born there

ChristalPalace
01-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Sheffield United and Reading did a swap deal in January, with Harper going to the Blades and Brian Howard moving to Reading.

Sheffield United fans on 606 say Harper was lazy and always blamed everyone else when things went wrong. They also said he's a shadow of the player he was at Reading.

lewisham eagle
01-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Sheffield United and Reading did a swap deal in January, with Harper going to the Blades and Brian Howard moving to Reading.

Sheffield United fans on 606 say Harper was lazy and always blamed everyone else when things went wrong. They also said he's a shadow of the player he was at Reading.

Thats basically the same what was said about Darren Ambrose by Charlton fans when we signed him the rest is history. Not saying the same would happen but I would definitley be up for signing him as he has been in the past an absolute class act in the championship and is still in his prime and maybee a change of scenery would do good for him like darren

elgin eagle
01-07-2010, 08:28 PM

I think it was pretty inevitable really. We still have the basis of a good little team, with some good additions in the right areas we might surprise a few bookies, who had us as 2nd favourites to go down recently. It might well be worth laying that.

BulletEagle
01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
1. James Harper
2. Andy Dorman
3. David Wright
4. Lloyd Sam
5. Adam Barrett
6. Clinton Morrison
7. ?

Gollum
01-07-2010, 08:40 PM
1. Harper
2. Dorman
3. Wright
4. Lloyd Sam
5. Barrett
6. Morrison
7. ?

7. Gary Bennett

SJ'sLoveMonkey
01-07-2010, 08:45 PM
7) David Nugent

BulletEagle
01-07-2010, 08:46 PM
7. Gary Bennett

Who?

Abjekt
01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Who?

Gordon's brother innit.

pauldrulez
01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Better than Jack Shit tbh.

LuckyJ
01-07-2010, 09:43 PM
ahh.... 6 or 7....... can i just say how happy and excited i am to be on here looking at potential signings.... CPFC2010 have given us our club back!! look forward to seeing all the new boys down at selhurst for the new season!!

harper included please.

BulletEagle
12-07-2010, 10:30 AM
1. James Harper
2. Andy Dorman
3. David Wright
4. Lloyd Sam Lewis Price
5. Adam Barrett
6. Clinton Morrison
7. Owen Garvan

SportsGuru2010
12-07-2010, 10:38 AM
gr8

The Bishop
12-07-2010, 10:38 AM
1. James Harper
2. Andy Dorman
3. David Wright
4. Lloyd Sam Lewis Price
5. Adam Barrett
6. Clinton Morrison
7. Owen Garvan

Stephen Jordan?

Stavros 69
12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Hopefully not clinton. Can we have a better stirker.

joshuah
12-07-2010, 10:54 AM
DA NUGE

sydnsteve
12-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Hopefully not clinton. Can we have a better stirker.

Suggest a few we can afford?

hamge
12-07-2010, 11:25 AM
1. James Harper
2. Andy Dorman
3. David Wright
4. Lloyd Sam Lewis Price
5. Adam Barrett
6. Clinton Morrison
7. Owen Garvan

No harper.

PalaceSince2004
12-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I thought James Harper already agreed a move to Hull City?

E_girl
12-07-2010, 01:01 PM
You can only have a max of 6 when in admin and all frees. So 3 down, 3 to go. Clinton won't be one of them.

BulletEagle
12-07-2010, 01:17 PM
No harper.

Has he actually officially signed yet though?

Aaroncpfc
12-07-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm assuming the seven are the three that's signed plus Stephen Jordan, Clinton Morrison, Owen Garvin (due to loss of Harper) and Owain Fon Williams. I'm assuming Bridcutt is a player that wasn't in the list mentioned along with Morgan but will be approached due the need to add depth.

nathe
12-07-2010, 01:43 PM
You can only have a max of 6 when in admin and all frees. So 3 down, 3 to go. Clinton won't be one of them.

Can you get loans in on top of the 6 frees?

Jimmy Eagle
12-07-2010, 01:47 PM

I am so confused by this. Are we really still in admin. Do we have any idea when we will officially be out of admin?

Pub Idol
12-07-2010, 02:02 PM
I am so confused by this. Are we really still in admin. Do we have any idea when we will officially be out of admin?

25th July. If none of the creditors appeal - also need the new looney, foreign, dodgy owners we have to pass fit and proper person test if that havent already done so :rolleyes:

sydnsteve
12-07-2010, 02:06 PM

Is that because he didn't want to be, or management did not want him?

E_girl
12-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Can you get loans in on top of the 6 frees?

Yeah - are trying to do this with one of them, as involved a fee.

kolinkins
12-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah - are trying to do this with one of them, as involved a fee.

I know you cannot say, but I assume that is Garvan.

adrenalin john
12-07-2010, 03:01 PM

hence garvan on free loan followed by a purchase at x - all beginning to make sense

CPFC_DAVE77
12-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I would be absolutely delighted if we signed Garvan.

rhynoeagle
12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
So is everyone assuming we've clinched Garvan ? I personally would be very very excited with him signing, very good player.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
12-07-2010, 05:06 PM
I thought so until i read this: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11706_6254604,00.html
Sorry guys

gamesmeister
12-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Old news, a lot can change in two days

maxpower
12-07-2010, 05:20 PM
That was 2 days ago we stillhave loads of timeto clinch that deal

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
12-07-2010, 08:01 PM
I think we'll sign him, just not near clinching a deal

jakki
13-07-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm finding it hard to work out how someone can annoy you on a message board. Hazard a guess at who im on about...

RDSdaEAGLE
13-07-2010, 12:36 AM
We've got a transfer tracker on the FYP site - we try to update it every few days or so...

http://fypfanzine.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/transfer-tracker-wednesday-get-morrison-palace-trialling-tomorrow/

laggin
13-07-2010, 03:04 AM
I would be absolutely delighted if we signed Garvan.
why mate? couldnt get a place in the ipswich team

brooklynlou
13-07-2010, 03:26 AM
why mate? couldnt get a place in the ipswich team

Roy Keane = Insane.

he doesn't use the normal metrics to determine talent (passing, vision, etc). He bases everything on how hard they are willing to run into a brick wall.

NZsparky
13-07-2010, 04:11 AM
Roy Keane = Insane.

he doesn't use the normal metrics to determine talent (passing, vision, etc). He bases everything on how hard they are willing to run into a brick wall.
I have him down in my local as the first championship manager to get sacked

Stavros 69
13-07-2010, 08:39 AM
We've got a transfer tracker on the FYP site - we try to update it every few days or so...

http://fypfanzine.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/transfer-tracker-wednesday-get-morrison-palace-trialling-tomorrow/
Wow a massive rehash of this thread.

rhynoeagle
13-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Well, looks like we missed out another player. Not that I wasn't expected to lose some. But lets make sure we know get more over the line.

Who can our 6 or 7 be now then ?

Owen Garvan ? (Knowing our luck someone will nick him)
The goalkeeper price ?
Randall ?
Bridcutt ?
At least one of the two Europeans on loan ?

I'm still worried as of to why we havent been linked with hardly any strikers.

I still have trust in GB though. :D

GreatGonzo
13-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Well, looks like we missed out another player. Not that I wasn't expected to lose some. But lets make sure we know get more over the line.

Who can our 6 or 7 be now then ?

Owen Garvan ? (Knowing our luck someone will nick him)
The goalkeeper price ?
Randall ?
Bridcutt ?
At least one of the two Europeans on loan ?

I'm still worried as of to why we havent been linked with hardly any strikers.

I still have trust in GB though. :D

I don't care if we are linked with 0 or 100 players/strikers. Just that come the next few weeks we have a squad somewhere near 25 p-layers strong with cover in all areas. We all know that 90% of the links are made up anyway and then we pull a signing out of nowhere.

AndyStreet
13-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Wow a massive rehash of this thread.

I think that's more than a little unfair, Tim. Rob's cited all the media sources whence these rumours and transfer confirmations came, and it provides a quick summary of what has happened in the transfer market. Of course there will be some overlap with the stuff people are talking about on message boards - such is the nature of the internet - but not everyone has the time to trawl countless pages of people making references to Clinton's shoulder and other such tangents.

Riccardo
13-07-2010, 10:24 AM
not everyone has the time to trawl countless pages of people making references to Clinton's shoulder and other such tangents.

Who-with-the-what-now ?

What's up with yer man's shoulder ?

Stigma
13-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Eagles in talks with Premiership striker..

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/8269016.Eagles_in_talks_with_Premiership_striker/

George Burley is set to add a goalkeeper and Premiership striker to his squad by the weekend..

Celestial Empire
13-07-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't care if we are linked with 0 or 100 players/strikers. Just that come the next few weeks we have a squad somewhere near 25 p-layers strong with cover in all areas. We all know that 90% of the links are made up anyway and then we pull a signing out of nowhere.

Look on the bright side, if GB can't make the numbers, he may have to give more chances to Djilali, Cadogan and N'Diaye (whom, if they do well, will then be lured away for peanuts by some no-mark Prem team which doesn't believe in academies :bash: :grrr: )

BulletEagle
13-07-2010, 04:51 PM
1. James Harper Stuart O'Keefe
2. Andy Dorman
3. David Wright
4. Lloyd Sam Lewis Price
5. Adam Barrett
6. Clinton Morrison Mystery Premier League striker
7. Owen Garvan

BulletEagle
14-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Link (http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/football/Lewis-Price-join-Palace-Speroni-s-number/article-2413400-detail/article.html?)

GEORGE Burley has confirmed former Derby County keeper Lewis Price will join Palace in the next few days.

Price, 25, will be signed as Julian Speroni's number two after impressing the Eagles boss during training.

Speaking after Palace's 1-0 defeat to Crawley Town last night Burely said that the Price deal should be finalised by the end of the week, and he was hopeful that one or two other signings would also be in place by the time Chelsea visit Selhurst Park on Saturday.

"We're at the initial stages of trying to build a squad back up that was badly depleted," said the Eagles boss. "When we arrived we had 11 first team players, we've added three and I'm hoping for another five before the season starts.

"Lewis Price we're looking to complete that for the number two keeper, we're talking to a couple of midfield players, got our eye on a striker. We're working on things."

BulletEagle
14-07-2010, 08:33 AM
2. Andy Dorman
3. David Wright
4. Lewis Price
5. Adam Barrett
7. Owen Garvan
8. Bruno/Remy

Interesting he doesn't mention the trialist full backs in that...

kolinkins
14-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Another 5 - so I guess:

Price
Full back
Centre mid
Centre mid
Striker

Stavros 69
14-07-2010, 08:46 AM
We need two strikers.

Stigma
14-07-2010, 08:51 AM
We need two strikers.

At least..

pedro
14-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Bearing in mind he has got 2 ex-Ipswich players over the line (Price & Wright) and probably a third to come (Garvan) who else have they got or who has left that he may have his eye on ?

bgh2172
14-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Bearing in mind he has got 2 ex-Ipswich players over the line (Price & Wright) and probably a third to come (Garvan) who else have they got or who has left that he may have his eye on ?

Jon Stead!?!

rhynoeagle
14-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Jon Stead!?!

Counago ?

rhynoeagle
14-07-2010, 09:12 AM
2. Andy Dorman
3. David Wright
4. Lewis Price
5. Adam Barrett
7. Owen Garvan
8. Bruno/Remy

Interesting he doesn't mention the trialist full backs in that...

Bridcutt ?

Justy C
14-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Jon Stead!?!

I hope so (ducks for cover). Going against most opinions here, I've always thought he is a decent forward. I know he is unlikely to bang in 20 goals in a season but his presence and link up play and touch are all good.

I also think we need that pacy striker option as well and I don't think Scannell can do that just yet.

Brett
14-07-2010, 09:21 AM
If the Lewis Price thing is true then we'll have excellent back-up for Jules.

PalaceSi
14-07-2010, 09:25 AM
The type of season we have will totally depend on the quality of striker/s brought in. In Lee, Andrew and Scannell we have a lot of affort but not many goals. We can't rely on Ambrose to produce the heroics and unbelievable return of last year and we haven't replaced Moses who was the source of so many goals last year. Imho we need two strikers and preferably proven and exciting ones. I would have loved to have had Clinton as he would have got us 10 goals, without someone who can do that we will struggle. I know its a lot to ask for but it would be so nice to get someone up front with a bit of quality.

ChickenDipper
14-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Ben Thatcher is coming on trial, so another thug ex tractor boy jumping on the burley band wagon to promotion.

rhynoeagle
14-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Ben Thatcher is coming on trial, so another thug ex tractor boy jumping on the burley band wagon to promotion.

Sauce ?

jobiinthelastmi
14-07-2010, 09:49 AM

He's well past his best!

kolinkins
14-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Thatcher would make going to SP very hard indeed.

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 09:52 AM
He's well past his best!
He is only 35!!
If he does sign then we are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

rhynoeagle
14-07-2010, 09:53 AM
A 35 year old Full Back.

Hell No.

karl.eldridge
14-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Sauce ?

Ketchup :D

BulletEagle

Heinz?

jobiinthelastmi
He is only 35!!
If he does sign then we are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

ONLY?

you need more fitness to be a full back than anyone else on the pitch!

rhynoeagle
14-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Ketchup :D

Wrong, it was Brown :afro: :D

Psychokiller
14-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Sauce ?
There isn't one. It's a load of bollocks.

rhynoeagle
14-07-2010, 09:58 AM
There isn't one. It's a load of bollocks.

Which is what im thinking, but dont you find it interesting as to where the people have "Heard it"

Usually is humerous.

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 10:30 AM
With just over three weeks to our first league game, how do you think our squad re-building is going?
We have appeared to have lost out on Morrison, Sam, Harper, Jordan and Jackson and only signed three players for an under strength squad that finished the season, of which we have lost 6 of those.
There were a lot of fans saying that there were many free transfers out there up for grabs, but I don’t feel that we have been able to compete with the other clubs in getting the cream of these.
I did say that I thought GB would have a hard time getting a strong squad together for the start of the season. I do hope that GB has more luck in the next three weeks, but we as fans will have to be patient because they will need time to gel.

brooklynlou
14-07-2010, 10:44 AM
With just over three weeks to our first league game, how do you think our squad re-building is going?
We have appeared to have lost out on Morrison, Sam, Harper, Jordan and Jackson and only signed three players for an under strength squad that finished the season, of which we have lost 6 of those.
There did seem many of fans saying that there were many free transfers out there up for grabs, but I donít feel that we have been able to compete with the other clubs in getting the cream of these.
I did say that I thought GB would have a hard time getting a strong squad together for the start of the season. I do hope that GB has more luck in the next three weeks, but we as fans will have to be patient because they will need time to gel.

Morrison = We were linked w/ him, but no other CCC club wanted him. That should tell you sonething

Sam = Do you Brits know the term VORP? Its used in Baseball here in the US and stands for Value over Replacement Player. Its a stat that determines how much a player contributes to his team's winning in comparison to a fictitious "replacement player,". Sam would be a VORP = 0; ie utterly replaceable. There are tons of Sam's currently looking for work.

Harper = Would have been nice, but we're in the running for Bridcutt and Garvan.

Jordan = Got hit by a truck.

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Morrison = We were linked w/ him, but no other CCC club wanted him. That should tell you sonething

Sam = Do you Brits know the term VORP? Its used in Baseball here in the US and stands for Value over Replacement Player. Its a stat that determines how much a player contributes to his team's winning in comparison to a fictitious "replacement player,". Sam would be a VORP = 0; ie utterly replaceable. There are tons of Sam's currently looking for work.

Harper = Would have been nice, but we're in the running for Bridcutt and Garvan.

Jordan = Got hit by a truck.
But how do you feel our squad re-building is going then?

E_girl
14-07-2010, 10:55 AM
For the record - we didn't "lose out" on Morrison.

Adlerhorst
14-07-2010, 11:09 AM

Jordan = Got hit by a truck.VORP is easier to work out in baseball than it is in "soccer".

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 11:10 AM
From reading your posts, I feel you are more in the know than many of us and the fact that you only mentioned Morrison, does suggest we missed out or are likely to miss out on the others.
So again I ask how do you feel the re-building is going and do you agree that GB has a harder job than many fan on here thinks he does.
I think some of the expectation of GB has been high and I think the fans need to be more realistic in their expectations.

E_girl
14-07-2010, 11:13 AM
From reading your posts, I feel you are more in the know than many of us and the fact that you only mentioned Morrison, does suggest we missed out or are likely to miss out on the others.
So again I ask how do you feel the re-building is going and do you agree that GB has a harder job than many fan on here thinks he does.
I think some of the expectation of GB has been high and I think the fans need to be more realistic in their expectations.

I chose not to comment on the others - as nothing concrete. Where as with Morrison now at Sheff Weds, I can.

I think any manager has a hard job re-building when he is limited to free signings and loans, as in administration.

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 11:18 AM
I chose not to comment on the others - as nothing concrete. Where as with Morrison now at Sheff Weds, I can.

I think any manager has a hard job re-building when he is limited to free signings and loans, as in administration.
Sam to Leeds and Harper to Hull is concrete is it not?

Bobsta
14-07-2010, 11:19 AM

You joker!

Boyandy
14-07-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm more than happy with the rebuilding process so far.

Of the players that we've been linked to, I'm only disappointed to have missed out on Harper - and even he had a certain amount of risk attached.

3rd tier wingers and injury prone full-backs are two a penny. Morrison would have been nice but if he's agreed to play in the 3rd tier for the first time in his career, maybe he's a slightly spent force.

Meanwhile we've got in a player with bags of Championship experience in Wright, a current international (admittedly only Wales) in Dorman, and an apparently solid centre half in Barrett. Price appears to be pretty much confirmed also, and he's still young and was highly rated.

I can only go by their reputations at the moment but I can't see a massive difference in quality between Dorman, Barrett, Wright and Price v Flahavan, Lawrence, Butterfield and Derry.

In addition we have several players on trial, and GB is hopeful of utilising the loan market as well.

I would suggest you only start getting concerned if we haven't signed anyone else by the Brentford match.

sirdougie
14-07-2010, 11:29 AM
I would rather wait a couple of weeks, or maybe even more, to get in the right players rather than panic-buying players now. Even if this means a slow start to the season. We will be better off in the long-run.

I would also rather see short-term loans used to pad out the squad rather than signing people for the sake of signing them. Too many times in the past have we brought in a big name for the sake of having a big name. They rarely work out.

kolinkins
14-07-2010, 11:30 AM
The later we sign players, the later they are added to the wage bill. Seems the best way forward for me.

brooklynlou
14-07-2010, 11:32 AM
But how do you feel our squad re-building is going then?

So far, not bad. For the first time there some actual forethought being used to determine team needs

GK - Speroni
(GK - Wright)

:p - Wright's a good #2 GK. Probably the best one we may have had in years. Warnock was not a fan of backup goalies.

LB - Wright
(LB - Hills)
RB - Clyne
(RB - ???)

:S: - Wright is a respected defender and once Hills get over his injuries you'll have two LB's competing for the spot. One of the trialists will get a contract for RB. TBH, LB and RB are snoozer positions and will not make or break a team.

DM - N'diaye
(DM - ???)

:confused: - Still being worked on, and only position that has me worried. Since we're not looking at wide players, odds are we're playing a 4-1-3-2 or a 4-1-4-1. In both formations you need strong DM's to protect the back four while the attacking midfielders and one of the backs (Clyne) bomb forward. N'diaye still too raw for this and. Bridcutt is a baby as well.

CM - Ambrose
CM - Danns
(CM - Dorman)
(CM - ??? Garvan)

:p - Biggest complaint you could level against Watson and Soares was that both we're hesitant to take shots. If we land Garvan, these 4 would be one of the most attack minded midfields we've had in years. None of these guys are looking to pass the ball when on top of the D, they want to shoot.

SC - Lee
SC - Andrew
SC - Scannell
SC - Zaha
(SC - ???)

:confused: - Still being worked on. We have holding players in Lee and Andrew. We need a zippy striker that, regardless of league, has a proven eye for goal.

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Of the players that we've been linked to, I'm only disappointed to have missed out on Harper - and even he had a certain amount of risk attached.

3rd tier wingers and injury prone full-backs are two a penny. Morrison would have been nice but if he's agreed to play in the 3rd tier for the first time in his career, maybe he's a slightly spent force.

Meanwhile we've got in a player with bags of Championship experience in Wright, a current international (admittedly only Wales) in Dorman, and an apparently solid centre half in Barrett. Price appears to be pretty much confirmed also, and he's still young and was highly rated.

I can only go by their reputations at the moment but I can't see a massive difference in quality between Dorman, Barrett, Wright and Price v Flahavan, Lawrence, Butterfield and Derry.

In addition we have several players on trial, and GB is hopeful of utilising the loan market as well.

I would suggest you only start getting concerned if we haven't signed anyone else by the Brentford match.
What about replacements for Ertl, Hill, Derry, Fonte, Carle, John and Moses.
When we have replaced those with championship standard players I will be less concerned. But as you say lets wait until the Brentford game, but we will still have to be patient as fans for the team to gel and not get on the backs of the manager and the team.

Biggineagle
14-07-2010, 11:33 AM

Thankyou E_girl, I guess we will never know;)

brooklynlou
14-07-2010, 11:45 AM
When we have replaced those with championship standard players I will be less concerned. But as you say lets wait until the Brentford game, but we will still have to be patient as fans for the team to gel and not get on the backs of the manager and the team.

Ertl = Barrett (equally average in their ability to be replaced)
Hill < Wright (Wrights better)
Derry (TBD)
Fonte = Davis (If he ever shows up its a wash as you trade finesse for ferocity)
Carle < Dorman (Dorman's better. Carle was enamored with his own dribbling and tended to lose the ball alot, also hesitated to take shots)
John (TBD)

Moses (irreplaceable)

Like the man said. Start worrying in a few weeks.

Boyandy
14-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Well it's going to be difficult to replace Moses and Fonte on free transfers, which is pretty much all we are able to do for the moment. 2010 have said they there is money available if it can be justified.

But potentially (if you believe the rumours) we could have Garvan and this un-named Prem striker, this Chelsea kid as well as one (or two) of the foreign full-backs on board. Plus those are the only ones that have been speculated about.

the kooch
14-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Fonte = Davis

Good lord.

Dannyzz
14-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Fonte = Davis

Ha ha!

Justy C
14-07-2010, 11:59 AM
The later we sign players, the later they are added to the wage bill. Seems the best way forward for me.

Financially yes, from a football perspective, no. The sooner the squad is settled, players know their place, their roles and where they're living and not in hotels etc, the better.

BulletEagle
14-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Fonte > Davis

EFA.

Chris K
14-07-2010, 12:02 PM
If think we're doing okay so far, we've had 2 weeks in which we can sign players in, have got 3 and Burley has said he wants 5 more. Idealy we'll have them in before the Leicster game but we've got until 31st August haven't we.

brooklynlou
14-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Fonte = Davis (If he ever shows up its a wash as you trade finesse for ferocity)

You forgot the parenthetical part of what I said. In the grand scheme of things, they are a wash. Neither are Ferdinand or Terry. They are average defenders for this level. On a person note I prefer Fonte over Davis but each brings something different - they are not the same type of defender.

Gooders
14-07-2010, 12:06 PM
This will be a season of consolidation and rebuilding, with a complete change of playing style thrown into the mix as well.

I don't know what people are hoping for or expecting but one place above relegation will do me fine, thanks.

It is going to be a tough season, make no mistake.

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 12:19 PM
This will be a season of consolidation and rebuilding, with a complete change of playing style thrown into the mix as well.

I don't know what people are hoping for or expecting but one place above relegation will do me fine, thanks.

My feelings exactly

ChristalPalace
14-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Some people have mentioned former Watford left-back Jon Harley:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/notts_county/8820435.stm

I guess not.

kolinkins
14-07-2010, 12:25 PM

I'm expecting to be entertained, and not bothered where we finish, so long as it is the top 21

However, one of the chairmen has said top 6.

Who knows.

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm expecting to be entertained, and not bothered where we finish, so long as it is the top 21

However, one of the chairmen has said top 6.

Who knows.
I think he will have to really splash some cash around if we are to make top 6

Gooders
14-07-2010, 12:44 PM
With Hull and Pompey spending money they haven't got like it's going out of fashion, not to mention the Pooperhoops, a very solid Burnley team that isn't losing players, renewed challenges from the likes of Notts Forest, Leicester, Ipswich, Sheff Utd, possibly Cardiff and Swansea plus Leeds and Norwich well capable of being right up there, it would be a fantastic achievement to make the top half of the table, never mind the play-offs.

rhynoeagle
14-07-2010, 12:55 PM
With Hull and Pompey spending money they haven't got like it's going out of fashion, not to mention the Pooperhoops, a very solid Burnley team that isn't losing players, renewed challenges from the likes of Notts Forest, Leicester, Ipswich, Sheff Utd, possibly Cardiff and Swansea plus Leeds and Norwich well capable of being right up there, it would be a fantastic achievement to make the top half of the table, never mind the play-offs.

Cardiff are losing money and players. Swansea were never that good a team, they just had a good manager. Chrise Eagles is leaving Burnley. QPR, have made some woeful signings. I think we can contend with the "Big teams" in the championship this year.

Edit: Hull and Pompey havent spend any money yet, they are getting free transfers like us.

E_girl
14-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Sam to Leeds and Harper to Hull is concrete is it not?

Just because people list players on here, does not mean we are linked to them. I only post what I know to be fact.

CPFC_DAVE77
14-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Naaaarch are gonna have a very good season IMHO; they are a big club, well supported and have added some good players to and already decent squad, expect them to finish top 8 this year.

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Just because people list players on here, does not mean we are linked to them. I only post what I know to be fact.
Thats fair enough. So the only player you know we were not after was Morrison then?

GreatGonzo
14-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Pompey spending money they haven't got like it's going out of fashion,

They still might need to get past tomorrow or face a -17pt penlty at some point, either that or face a transfer embargo all season.

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Cardiff are losing money and players. Swansea were never that good a team, they just had a good manager. Chrise Eagles is leaving Burnley. QPR, have made some woeful signings. I think we can contend with the "Big teams" in the championship this year.

Edit: Hull and Pompey havent spend any money yet, they are getting free transfers like us.
But this is the point I was making earlier, that clubs like Hull are not spending on transfers but still paying high wages and we are not able to compete, hence Harper to Hull.

AJ
14-07-2010, 01:18 PM
With Hull and Pompey spending money they haven't got like it's going out of fashion,

If this is true(and I am not doubting you), then both these teams, plus Cardiff and a few others may all find themselves having points deducted this season, which would push Palace nearer mid table.

AJ
14-07-2010, 01:19 PM
But this is the point I was making earlier, that clubs like Hull are not spending on transfers but still paying high wages and we are not able to compete, hence Harper to Hull.

Did I imagine it or did I read that Bullard was on 45k a week:eek:

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Add to them Middlesbrough, Reading and Bristol City with Sir Steve in charge.
And I do fancy Doncaster to do well now they have signed Billy Sharp

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Thats correct and he wanted 75k to move :eek: :eek:

E_girl
14-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Thats fair enough. So the only player you know we were not after was Morrison then?

No, he's just the one I chose to comment on - as evokes the most debate - so thought it good to set the record straight.

The Gerry Queen
14-07-2010, 01:30 PM

No don't be silly..... Celtic pulled out of his loan move because they wouldn't pay him £75k a week........... Hull are stuck with him but it's OK because they've told him he's got to work harder :rolleyes:

They are also rumoured to have offered him £2m to sod off.... but he's not playing ball. While all this is going on Nigel Pearson has signed Harper, Solano and maybe Waghorn on loan from Sunderland. Mendy, Geovanni, Boetang, Hunt, Altidore and two others have gone but the wage bill is still way too high. Living on borrowed time and cash ...promotion or bust sadly

sydnsteve
14-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Surely the point is, at the moment Burley can't actually buy anyone. So until we are out of admin, or can agree a loan or a free transfer until the embargo is gone, his life is incredibly difficult.

Gooders
14-07-2010, 01:39 PM

I thought it was more.

And certainly his proposed loan to Celtic collapsed because he "wanted a little something for his trouble". :rolleyes:

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 01:40 PM
No don't be silly..... Celtic pulled out of his loan move because they wouldn't pay him £75k a week........... Hull are stuck with him but it's OK because they've told him he's got to work harder :rolleyes:

They are also rumoured to have offered him £2m to sod off.... but he's not playing ball. While all this is going on Nigel Pearson has signed Harper, Solano and maybe Waghorn on loan from Sunderland. Mendy, Geovanni, Boetang, Hunt, Altidore and two others have gone but the wage bill is still way too high. Living on borrowed time and cash ...promotion or bust sadly
This is were it was quoted as 45k per week

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1289786/Hull-seek-offload-earner-Jimmy-Bullard-Celtic.html?ITO=1490

Gooders
14-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Add to them Middlesbrough, Reading and Bristol City with Sir Steve in charge.
And I do fancy Doncaster to do well now they have signed Billy Sharp

Good points - knew I had forgotten a couple.

What I meant about Pompey and Hull was indeed that the wages they are paying are way beyond our (or indeed their) means.

I'm sticking to my guns. I will genuinely be delighted if we get close to the top half, but I can't see it - and I don't expect it.

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Good points - knew I had forgotten a couple.

What I meant about Pompey and Hull was indeed that the wages they are paying are way beyond our (or indeed their) means.

I'm sticking to my guns. I will genuinely be delighted if we get close to the top half, but I can't see it - and I don't expect it.
I am in full agreement with you Gooders
I just would like some of the fans to lower their expectations for the team and the managers sake.

ChristalPalace
14-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Boro have signed a European-class striker in Kris Boyd - he must be on an absolute fortune there.

nathe
14-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I am in full agreement with you Gooders
I just would like some of the fans to lower their expectations for the team and the managers sake.

Agreed. A good season for me would be mid table and for Palace to start playing attractive, attacking passing football. Anything else would be a bonus.

The next 2 seasons are about rebuilding and consolidating.

The Gerry Queen
14-07-2010, 01:51 PM
This is were it was quoted as 45k per week

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1289786/Hull-seek-offload-earner-Jimmy-Bullard-Celtic.html?ITO=1490

You are right...on £45K PW at Hull and he wanted an additional £30k PW from Celtic ! Makes sense of Hull's £2m pay off offer to him

Brett
14-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Arrows from Boyandy, Gooders and sydsteve in last few pages.

dufski13
14-07-2010, 01:55 PM
I think he will have to really splash some cash around if we are to make top 6

Blackpool & Burnley in the last 2 seasons did not 'splash' the cash. They got promoted on the strength of good football & canny management. that'll do me just fine. BUT that said I expect us to have a tough season next year, we've lost some terrific players ,whatever people say with their revisionist glasses on. Last season Derry, in particular, was absolute magnificent. Yes his form dipped toward the end of the season, but he played alot of football for us, & was instrumental in both our early season rise up the table, & then our late season survival. I'll be very happy with staying in The Championship & playing some decent stuff. I'd be even happier if we could go from being good away from home to being good at home. A good home record, with attractive football being played & hopefully a mid table finish would see me very happy indeed. Mind you when we're 3rd after 10 games watch if I don't want us to push on & win promotion ;)

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 01:58 PM
You are right...on £45K PW at Hull and he wanted an additional £30k PW from Celtic ! Makes sense of Hull's £2m pay off offer to him
This is why Gerry I keep saying that GB will have a hard task in even bringing in the cream of the free transfers.
Hull and others cannot afford to pay those sums in the championship, but I would think that wages would be somewhere in the 10-20k a week.
I think we would have been paying that last season, but I would think we can no longer pay this sort of money. Hence we cannot compete with them.

drizzt
14-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Blackpool & Burnley in the last 2 seasons did not 'splash' the cash. They got promoted on the strength of good football & canny management.

I think you'll find that both those clubs shelled out a huge percentage of turnover on player wages, i'm sure i've seen figures for both published somewhere, Burleys was well over 100%!

kestoneagle
14-07-2010, 02:16 PM

I heard a lovely story about his agent's meeting with the Hull manager and chairman. It ends with Jimmy telling over speakerphone to FO, demanding £50k per week and the perma tanned one threatening to resign if the chairman didn't back him by paying up (despite an x-ray of jimmy's extremely dodgy knee being on the desk in front of them)!

orp pisshead1
14-07-2010, 02:37 PM

Excellent reply mate and agree:p , i expect burley to sign a few more around the time of the brentford game as well.

orp pisshead1
14-07-2010, 02:41 PM

Glad we can't compete tbh , hull will almost certainly enter admin this season and by keeping the wages down it means we are signing players who WANT to play for us imo.

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Glad we can't compete tbh , hull will almost certainly enter admin this season and by keeping the wages down it means we are signing players who WANT to play for us imo.
I agree about the players wanting to play for us, but we do need to find about another 7 to make a squad and as long as they keep us out of the bottom three I will be happy.
As for Hull, I dont think they will go into admin because of their parachute payments but clubs like Cardiff could well do because they have been chasing the dream of the premiership.

adrenalin john
14-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Surely, just by the fact we are no longer in debt, we are now one of the richest clubs in the division

Football has to become sustainable.

orp pisshead1
14-07-2010, 03:16 PM
I agree about the players wanting to play for us, but we do need to find about another 7 to make a squad and as long as they keep us out of the bottom three I will be happy.
As for Hull, I dont think they will go into admin because of their parachute payments but clubs like Cardiff could well do because they have been chasing the dream of the premiership.

I really wouldn't worry bout GB getting enough players as imo its all about time and that'll happen in a few weeks. Might be wrong but think hulls wage bill alone will take up bout 80% of their parachute money. Agree bout expectations as well, build slowly but form a real solid club:p

orp pisshead1
14-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Agree but untill majority of clubs stand together and sort the players/agents out it won't happen:(

Niel Smillie
14-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Surely, just by the fact we are no longer in debt, we are now one of the richest clubs in the division

We know that our new board have stated that the club must run within it's means and that will mean we will be sustainable in the future seasons.
I am no financial wizard, but that means each season the club will grow as the paid season ticket sales grow. But next season the cash flow must be low due to the board honouring the season tickets already purchased and the money already gone.

PALACE_FOR_LIFE
06-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Burley wants another five players before the end of the window.

"There have been wholesale changes in the Palace squad and Burley, above, is still looking to add to his five new signings before the end of this month's transfer window."

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=28271&headline=Palace%20boss%20Burley:%20Patience%20is%2 0needed

GreatGonzo
06-08-2010, 02:44 PM

"There have been wholesale changes in the Palace squad and Burley, above, is still looking to add to his five new signings before the end of this month's transfer window."

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=28271&headline=Palace%20boss%20Burley:%20Patience%20is%2 0needed

Where does Burley say he wants another 5?

rhynoeagle
06-08-2010, 02:46 PM

Jesus WEPT

No he doesnt.
:clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: