PDA

View Full Version : Francis wants Scandinavians...

22-03-2002, 02:37 PM
I have appointed Mick Mills, my former assistant at Birmingham City, to
travel to Denmark, Sweden, Iceland and Finland and closely watch the
performances of players in areas that I have identified.
It would be unfair for me to name the positions of the players I am
interested in as it might send out the wrong messages to our current
squad.
There is a good reason why I have decided to go the Scandinavian route.
When you go out there you can pick players who you feel will do the job for you at a reasonable rate. Out here prices have gone out of the window.
A few years ago you could go into the second and third divisions and get outstanding players for a decent price.
Now, it has become like an auction. Whatever offer you make will be
improved on by your rivals and clubs with modest budget are being priced out.
Another reason why I admire Scandinavian players is because they
acclimatise so fast in Britain. It does them credit because out here our football extends into all four seasons of the equinox.
They work hard, are naturally aggresive and are not afraid of physical
contact.I will be relying on Mick to provide me with the reports. He has worked for me for nine years and he knows exactly the type of players I need. He has watched us six times this season and is familiar with the overall picture.
I would like to make it clear that Barry Simmons is still the chief
scout.

(TF's column in the Adder today)

spike
22-03-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by tmjwat
It does them credit because out here our football extends into all four seasons of the equinox.

Dictionary corner: An equinox is a day when daylight and darkness are equal, and happens twice a year, and therefore doesn't have seasons.

Thick clot!

Top Dog
22-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Certainly seems a little bizarre. Is he trying to say other European countries don't have four seasons????

James
22-03-2002, 03:02 PM
Is this a wind up?

Chris K
22-03-2002, 03:08 PM
Maybe he's now resorting to Championship Manager tactics, its common knowledge that in the game you can pick players up for bargains and they usually become superstars. :rolleyes:

Jolly Norwegian
22-03-2002, 03:43 PM
What? He's not coming to Norway? And I've got this feeling I've got a great season in front of me...

zonin2000
22-03-2002, 03:58 PM
He has worked for me for nine years and he knows exactly the type of players I need.

Oh dear.

Skin Up
22-03-2002, 04:02 PM
Didn't Mills play in Sweden towards the end of his career? You never know we could find the next Flo or Rise.

TC EAGLE
22-03-2002, 04:04 PM
There's no need for Mills to travel to finland pop down to Chelsea because if we loose Morrison in the summer (which is 99% certain) then use they transfer fee received on Forsell

Richard
22-03-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Skin Up
Didn't Mills play in Sweden towards the end of his career? You never know we could find the next Flo or Rise.

or Leif Anderson ...

Jolly Norwegian
22-03-2002, 04:08 PM
Why would he find the next Flo or Riise in Sweden when they're Norwegians? :rolleyes:

Jolly Norwegian
22-03-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Richard

or Leif Anderson ...
And that's Andersen, not -son...

Oh and while I'm at it: No, Norway is not the capital of Sweden!!

Skin Up
22-03-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Jolly Norwegian

Why would he find the next Flo or Riise in Sweden when they're Norwegians? :rolleyes:

Alright then the next Larsson or err Brolin

:eek:

I'll get me coat

Jolly Norwegian
22-03-2002, 04:14 PM

Alright then the next Larsson or err Brolin

That's more like it... except the Brolin part ;)

Ruskin Old Boy
22-03-2002, 04:15 PM
I read this - and other pieces in the Adder - coming into work this morning with increasing incredulity. "He expects to sign at least four players on Mills' recommendation" and "...Francis will have a massive clear out in the close season...".

As Trolley might say....all poppycock and utter bilge.

What?
22-03-2002, 04:17 PM
A team full of Aki's!!! But there are good players to be picked up on the cheap! I know i've seen them, on CHAMP!

SKATE
22-03-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
"...Francis will have a massive clear out in the close season...".

Lets hope it just means he'll be packing up his house to move back up to the midlands (or anywhere but here really!)

Ruskin Old Boy
22-03-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by SKATE

Lets hope it just means he'll be packing up his house to move back up to the midlands (or anywhere but here really!)

Yes, though more likely he's having an enema:eek:

Panther
22-03-2002, 04:27 PM
If TF is still here at the start of next season, what are the chances that Mills will be his assistant/deputy?

What?
22-03-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Panther
If TF is still here at the start of next season, what are the chances that Mills will be his assistant/deputy?

Good.

Which is Bad

arussell
22-03-2002, 04:32 PM
Good move.

I can't understand why we haven't scouted the Scandinavian market more in the past (properly though - not on the Leif Anderson type scale !!)

Cleon
22-03-2002, 04:34 PM
Trevor Francis has sent his best out to find the calibre of player that made his Birmingham team such a success.

Great.

This is getting even more tedious. This year, the last day of the season happens to also be my birthday. I had once hoped that we could clinch promotion at West Brom. Now all I want is confirmation that Francis has been sacked.

bucketbongeagle
22-03-2002, 04:49 PM
Whats Scandanavian football like traditionally ? Hoof ball, difficuilt to break down, tight defending etc hmmmm sounds like TF and Birmingham City (mark 2) roll up, roll up dull, ugly, negative football here we come, Great.

Jolly Norwegian
22-03-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by bucketbongeagle
Whats Scandanavian football like traditionally ? Hoof ball, difficuilt to break down, tight defending etc hmmmm sounds like TF and Birmingham City (mark 2) roll up, roll up dull, ugly, negative football here we come, Great.
You've watched how many Scandinavian league games lately?

I assume you're basing this on the Norwegian national team, so I understand your concern. Just don't forget that there are lots of great footballing sides all over Scandinavia. In Norway the focus has kinda changed when it comes to developing new players, as there are more and more good attackers, not just big, slow defenders. This is pretty obvious if you look at the goalscoring rate in Norway the past couple of seasons, I believe it's one of the highest (if not THE highest) in Europe. This comes down to a combination of better attacking and (unfortunately) poorer defending...

One of the most entertaining teams to watch when at their best, IMHO, is champions Rosenborg. They've got a very attacking minded tactics, but the ball is still mainly on the ground, not just hoofball (like Egil 'Drillo' Olsen prefers).

Norwegian football isn't too good, I agree with that, but there certainly are good players and not just the traditional hoofball anymore (although some teams still play that sort of football, of course).

Hope this cleared things up a bit.

ps: Norwegian and Danish surnames usually ends with -sen or -ssen (ie. Anderssen/Andersen or Jensen), while Swedish surnames ends with -son or -sson (ie. Andersson or Larsson) ;)

Beanie
22-03-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by bucketbongeagle

None of the (very limited) football I have seen from this area has been like that. It has generally been far better than much that we see over here.

Generally I think this is a good move. There have been frequent suggestions for doing this on the bbs - and now he is. There are good players at good prices over there.

I also like the way he has stressed that Mills is NOT taking over our scouting, this is a one off.

As for the clear out - we've been discussing it on the boards for a couple of weeks, so it's no big surprise. We are apparently releasing about 15 players - and offering contracts to five youngesters - Lance Cronin, Wayne Routledge, Gary Borrowdale, Steve(?) Watson and Ben Surey, so if we sign 4 from abroad that would make sense.

arussell - any comments on Watson and Surey, know nothing about them.

BUNGLE
22-03-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Beanie

Steve(?) Watson

Ben Watson

Steve Watson plays for Everton :clown:

Lords Eagle
22-03-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Francis will have a massive clear out in the close season...".

I have mine on a much more regular basis:p

arussell
22-03-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
arussell - any comments on Watson and Surey, know nothing about them.

Off track for a second ! - I've only see them play 2/3 times. Both look ok - but IMHO, Warren (who's just been released !) was the better of the three :(

pete eagle
22-03-2002, 10:57 PM
So he's going to Sweden,Finland,Denmark and Iceland. But he's missing out Norway.

That part confuses me.

But we got Aki for a ridiculously low fee and it's reasonable that we can get 2 or 3 decent players from over there. Add to that the young players coming through and you have a squad with depth

LLCOOLSTEVE
23-03-2002, 12:02 AM
I have appointed Mick Mills, my former assistant at Birmingham City, to
travel to Denmark, Sweden, Iceland and Finland and closely watch the
performances of players in areas that I have identified.
It would be unfair for me to name the positions of the players I am
interested in as it might send out the wrong messages to our current
squad.
There is a good reason why I have decided to go the Scandinavian route.
When you go out there you can pick players who you feel will do the job for you at a reasonable rate. Out here prices have gone out of the window.

sounds like Champ man!!!!

Walrus
23-03-2002, 01:01 AM
Why all the negative crap on this thread ?????

Surely, adding some solid players to the squad for a low outlay is A GOOD THING. Remember also that their wage demands will not be astronomical either - important given the snafu with ITV Digital. If one or two of them turn out to be golden nuggets then even better.

Like it or not, the nucleus of the Palace squad over the last few seasons has not been anywhere near good enough. We do have quality players, but we hardly had anyone in the "7 out of 10 every week" bracket. The signings of players like Fleming and Symons, and perhaps Akinbyi have helped turn this around.

The likes of Morrison and Freedman can only win you so many games if the rest of the team is either woefully inconsistent or just woefully inadequate. The last few games have proved this.

So, where is the negative angle coming from ? Oh silly me - it's been initaited by TF and therefore it must be a crock of sh1te.

Do me a favour.

:rolleyes:

Beanie
23-03-2002, 04:01 PM
This thought also occurs -

whilst not the greatest team, look at Bolton - they've done exactly this and have been somewhat more successful than Palace recently.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
24-03-2002, 10:54 PM
I'm just looking forward to our front line next season of Larsson and Litmanen if what I'm reading here is true.

:afro:

Panther
25-03-2002, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
I'm just looking forward to our front line next season of Larsson and Litmanen if what I'm reading here is true.

:afro:

.....but if Mick Mills goes to Scandinavia to check them out, he won't find them!

Thin on Top
25-03-2002, 01:53 PM
"...Francis will have a massive clear out in the close season...".

Just had one myself, brought on by a fiery encounter with a dodgy madras.

Jimbo ?
27-03-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by James
Is this a wind up?

Its Palace!!!

Calder2
27-03-2002, 02:46 AM
With Mick Mills's scouting talents and Francis's managerial ability, we will probably sign a blond haired, overmuscled Norwegian (or substitute Swede, Dane of Finn) built like a prop forward, who takes his shirt off when he scores - which isn't that often. Oh, and pay ten times what he is really worth.

Sound familiar?

pete eagle
27-03-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Calder2
With Mick Mills's scouting talents and Francis's managerial ability, we will probably sign a blond haired, overmuscled Norwegian (or substitute Swede, Dane of Finn) built like a prop forward, who takes his shirt off when he scores - which isn't that often. Oh, and pay ten times what he is really worth.

Sound familiar?

David Hopkin?

Latvian Eagle
27-03-2002, 02:51 AM
Kennedy Bakircioglu (Creative Midfielder)
Kim Kallstrom (Creative Midfielder)

Both replacements for Kirovski ?

Mikael Dorsin (Defensive ball winning midfielder)

Replacement for Mullins or Rodger ?

All have age on their sides. Although Bakircioglu is unlikely as Ajax are sniffing around him