PDA

View Full Version : Palace boss Burley keen to utilise loan market

rhynoeagle
01-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Looks like there will be no more transfers untill at least next week.

NEW Crystal Palace boss George Burley says he is aiming to delve into the loan market as part of his plans to strengthen his squad.

The Scot made his first signing this week with the capture of former Ipswich defender David Wright on a two-year deal.

Burley is pressing ahead with other targets - including ex-Reading and Sheffield United midfielder James Harper - but also has an eye on temporary additions.

He said: "You want as many signed players as possible but if we can utilise the loan system to get quality players it is certainly something I'll be looking at."

Burley does not expect further transfer activity at Selhurst Park until early next week.

He said: "We're talking to two or three players but we haven't got anything agreed at the moment.

"At the moment the squad is depleted in six or seven areas so there are a lot of balls in the air. Nothing is finalised at the moment.

"Hopefully at the start of next week we'll have something positive on the signing front."

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=23365&headline=Palace

Abjekt
01-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Grab those balls George, grab 'em.

rhynoeagle
01-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Im hoping he goes in for Scott Sinclair that'd be so good for the club. :D :)

Boyandy
01-07-2010, 12:38 PM
"At the moment the squad is depleted in six or seven areas so there are a lot of balls in the air.

I thought Lawrence was off? :D

GUCCI Eagle
01-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I hate the word 'utilise'. Why can't people just say 'use'?

Shipp Ahoy!
01-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Im hoping he goes in for Scott Sinclair that'd be so good for the club. :D :)

Amazed everyone thinks we can get him (even if your comment is slightly tongue in cheek a lot of people have mentioned it) there is no chance. If he goes off on loan it will be to another Prem club or recently relegated club at worse.

I suspect that Chelsea will be thinking along the lines of give him a chance this year or let him go though.

kolinkins
01-07-2010, 12:49 PM
He did sod all at Wigan to deserve a chance in the Premier League

palace_crystal
01-07-2010, 12:51 PM
"At the moment the squad is depleted in six or seven areas so there are a lot of balls in the air.

Does this mean we'll be playing long ball?

Asagaya_Eagle
01-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Does this mean we'll be playing long ball?

Titter

Absolution
01-07-2010, 01:15 PM
He did sod all at Wigan to deserve a chance in the Premier LeagueWhat a shite career to have though, I know he would be earning good money, and is a footballer.. but to be quite talented and to have been on loan to about 6 clubs in 5 years is terrible!

He'll never breakthrough at Chelsea, but probably wouldn't accept lower wages to play elsewhere. Classic example of why the big clubs' stockpiling only hinders the English game.

Gooders
01-07-2010, 01:16 PM
He did sod all at Wigan to deserve a chance in the Premier League

Agree.

I don't think there will be a particularly long queue to sign him on loan.

I would imagine that Burley is much more likely to be looking for a quality central defender and midfielder in terms of loan signings.

Stavros 69
01-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I like it. I like to utilise it.

Jim Cannon
01-07-2010, 01:30 PM
He'll never breakthrough at Chelsea, but probably wouldn't accept lower wages to play elsewhere.
Agree, except that when his Chelsea contract runs out he'll have to take a pay cut unless he is giving up football:D

GodstoneEagle
01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Grab those balls George, grab 'em.
the new 'bodies over the line' - 'balls in the air'

Jim Cannon
01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I like it. I like to utilise it.
well utilised

ChickenDipper
01-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Get trundle involved.

Absolution
01-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Get trundle involved.Catering?

Freddy Kurz
01-07-2010, 02:12 PM

Since both words mean the same thing and you understand precisely what he
means, what on earth are you complaining about? Burley was engaged to
help build us a promotion-winning side, which he has done on a number of
occasions using words that he is familiar with, so why don't we just let him
carry on doing likewise?

Nigelbrag
01-07-2010, 02:22 PM
I think a decent signing for GB would be Lloyd Sam on a free as well, 25 old skillful winger who works his socks off, and i do believe can score goals if in the right enviorement, just needs a change of club. And we all know the last player we got from that club on a free what he achieved.

andy m
01-07-2010, 02:23 PM
carry on doing likewise?

Are you actually for real?

Youngs
01-07-2010, 02:29 PM

They don't mean exactly the same thing. To use simply means to make use of, for any purpose, it's far more general. To utilise implies that you wish to employ something effectively and efficiently for its inherent features or purpose.

In this case the headline 'Burley to use the loan market' implies he might make a loan signing. Whereas, 'Burley keen to utilise the loan market' implies it will form a big part of his transfer strategy making full use of all that it can offer. Either may be true but the meanings are different.

PeterH
01-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Utilising utilise utilises utilisations unutilised previously.

Beanie
01-07-2010, 02:40 PM
What a shite career to have though, I know he would be earning good money, and is a footballer.. but to be quite talented and to have been on loan to about 6 clubs in 5 years is terrible!

He'll never breakthrough at Chelsea, but probably wouldn't accept lower wages to play elsewhere. Classic example of why the big clubs' stockpiling only hinders the English game.
How has this hindered anything? - Sinclair has played at a reasonable level, given every chance to develop. If he wasn't at Chelsea where would he be? Probably at a lower Premiership club - which is where he was. I suspect the biggest hinderance to his career is the fact that he isn't developing as was expected. If Chelsea were running him out in the reserves that would be different, but they aren't. As for not going anywhere for less - unless he shows a bit for the clubs he is at he'll have no option.

adrenalin john
01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Burley was engaged to
occasions using words that he is familiar with

Brilliant, just brilliant :D

GodstoneEagle
01-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Loans from the Old Firm? Jamie Ness/Paul McGowan

GUCCI Eagle
01-07-2010, 03:13 PM
For the love of God.

GUCCI Eagle
01-07-2010, 03:15 PM
They don't mean exactly the same thing. To use simply means to make use of, for any purpose, it's far more general. To utilise implies that you wish to employ something effectively and efficiently for its inherent features or purpose.

In this case the headline 'Burley to use the loan market' implies he might make a loan signing. Whereas, 'Burley keen to utilise the loan market' implies it will form a big part of his transfer strategy making full use of all that it can offer. Either may be true but the meanings are different.

Definitions of utilise on the Web:

use: put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose; "use your head!"; "we only use Spanish at home"; "I can't use this tool"; "Apply a magnetic field here"; "This thinking was applied to many projects"; "How do you utilize this tool? ...
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

utilised - utilized: put to use

utilisation - use: the act of using; "he warned against the use of narcotic drugs"; "skilled in the utilization of computers"

GUCCI Eagle
01-07-2010, 03:16 PM
carry on doing likewise?

I think we need to have you sectioned.

Dingle
01-07-2010, 03:20 PM
How has this hindered anything? - Sinclair has played at a reasonable level, given every chance to develop. If he wasn't at Chelsea where would he be? Probably at a lower Premiership club - which is where he was. I suspect the biggest hinderance to his career is the fact that he isn't developing as was expected. If Chelsea were running him out in the reserves that would be different, but they aren't. As for not going anywhere for less - unless he shows a bit for the clubs he is at he'll have no option.

So very wrong. The one thing (apart from first team football,) a youngster needs to develop is stability. Being moved around the country, from club to club (not being given a reasonable amount of time to settle at a single one,) at such a young age only hinders his development. If Chelsea had picked one club and let him stay there for a few years then fair enough. But, after he had a fantastic half a season with us where he got lots of playing time and as a result developed, we tried to loan him for another season. Warnock wanted him here and Sinclair wanted to come here. However Chelsea demanded, (against Sinclair's wishes,) he moved away from his home in London, to Birmingham to sit on the bench for the season because they offered more money than us. His development was scr*wed the moment he went to Chelsea.

adrenalin john
01-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I think we need to have you sectioned.

What's the 'we'?

You being a brown nosing power freak might want to lock away everyone who is not exactly like like you, others enjoy difference.

Freddy deserves respect it is the likes of you who need locking up

GUCCI Eagle
01-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Edited due to hindsight

Nofishtoday
01-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Utilising utilise utilises utilisations unutilised previously.

You've over-utilised the word 'utilise'. But not 'previously'.

beef
01-07-2010, 03:57 PM
ah the BBS :love:

adrenalin john
01-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Edited due to hindsight

GUCCI Eagle has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Palace boss Burley keen to utilise loan market - in the Transfer Hotline forum of CPFC BBS.

This thread is located at:
http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204694&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Yeah ok. Let's not exaggerate the theories of liberty over one throw away comment on a bloody free to all bulletin board.

How about we put it down to semantics and you try to avoid being a sanctimonious, overweight cock?

No need to censor your own posts Gucci.

After all I am certainly fat and and many may find me sanctimonious but, and not just to avoid accusations of hypocrisy, I am genuinely happy for you to speak your mind.

GUCCI Eagle
01-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Yeah I just can't be arsed having handbags on websites these days really.

GodstoneEagle
01-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Merked

Seaside Eagle
01-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Merked

Blud. :p

Woosie
01-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Merked

I believe the correct terminology is 'Boyd' ;)

Back on topic though. I would prefer Burley not to make too many loan signings, and focus more on the youth players as back up, but I realise that obviously with the squad so think as it is atm, there is a need to get players in and you can't just rely on the youth players. Just don't want overuse the loan market.

st albans
01-07-2010, 04:50 PM
we've been shocking in the loan market in recent years. can't remember anyone being loaned in that made a difference

think we've missed a trick before. i know that long term it doesn't help the club, but there are some good young players out there

kolinkins
01-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Hill and Derry weren't bad

nor Sinclair.

nor Beattie

LuckyJ
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
always liked james harper!!!
really hope we can pick him up... grafter
dint know he'd been released by sheff.u
him with dannsy is very dynamic.

Newfie
01-07-2010, 05:10 PM
I would like to see GB sign that New Zealand goalie as cover for Speroni. I thought he looked very capable in the WC though I dont know where he plays his footie.

palace64
01-07-2010, 05:22 PM
I'll put this to bed utilise is scottish for use

keithywonder
01-07-2010, 06:20 PM
I would like to see GB sign that New Zealand goalie as cover for Speroni. I thought he looked very capable in the WC though I dont know where he plays his footie.
I believe he is at Walsall

rhynoeagle
01-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Fonte was a good loanee too.

Oh and Franck Songo'o. Oh wait. :D:D:D

Someone said Sinclair is out of our depth..

How did we get him in the 1st place ?

cpfcfan1
01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Charlton had him on loan and didnt even use him, Chelsea cancelled the loan n Warnock nipped in and got him

joe walker
01-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Someone said Sinclair is out of our depth..

How did we get him in the 1st place ?

6 figure deal, as was the case with Sears :sob:

pardew's shorts
01-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Josh McEachran please.

adrenalin john
02-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Liz McColgan thank you

adrenalin john
02-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Alastair McDonald greeting

adrenalin john
02-07-2010, 09:09 AM
James Campbell farewell

adrenalin john
02-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Hill and Derry weren't bad

nor Sinclair.

nor Beattie

Where is Beattie? I was impressed by him. In a skillful passing side I think he could be really effective at Championship level (and also translate for Dougie and George)

ChristalPalace
02-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Where is Beattie? I was impressed by him. In a skillful passing side I think he could be really effective at Championship level (and also translate for Dougie and George)

Swansea, being kept out of the side by Kuqi.

JamieBcpfc
02-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Beattie is at Swansea, lots of injuries last season meant he was below Kuqi in the pecking order

adrenalin john
02-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Blimey from destroyer of the valley boys, to living with valley boys and sheep.

So with Kuqi playing did they call their front line Trundle and Bundle?