PDA

View Full Version : Callum Davenport

GreatGonzo
01-07-2010, 02:31 PM
If he has recovered from the stab wounds and is up to playing again he would be a good free signing - surely worth a trial - a footballing one this time.

hamge
01-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Like i said on the other thread....i would stop supporting the club if he joined!

GreatGonzo
01-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Like i said on the other thread....i would stop supporting the club if he joined!

Why? Good defender and if he can play to that level again would be a cracking signing.

He was found not guilty afterall, not seen the details but 12 jurers didn't believe he attacked his sister.

glaziers fan
01-07-2010, 02:47 PM
he's a quality cb who can play football. I was surprised he did so badly in the Prem to be honest

dannyboy1807
01-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I agree would be a great signing him and Paddy would work well together

spt1978
01-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Can't see him ever recovering fully and would probably want high wages.

No thanks.

Edit: Just seen the pictures of him leaving court, looks very weak and hasnt played a match in nearly two years.

Nigelbrag
01-07-2010, 02:51 PM
I would agree with you GG, would prove a very shrewd signing if judged on his playing ability. However, cant see it happening due to possible wage demands. I do think a club like Leeds may well snap him up.

jordanismygod
01-07-2010, 02:53 PM

Makes me laugh when people spout up with this comment.

pauldrulez
01-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Bye then.

Not Guilty, very good defender, bring him in.

hamge
01-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Not saying he is not a bad player but a) wages b) thug c) could do better then palace.

kettle
01-07-2010, 03:07 PM
I did think we should have a look at him. Premiership pedigree, needs a club. Would be worth a one yr deal if he proves his fitness. Certain other footballers who have been in trouble with the law and jailed I would stay well clear of, but CD would be worth a look.

Beanie
01-07-2010, 03:16 PM
....b) thug .....
Not guilty doesn't mean a lot to you then?

u8mygoat
01-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Not saying he is not a bad player but a) wages b) thug c) could do better then palace.

I'm not sure the fact he "could do better than Palace" means we shouldn't sign him!

Also "Not saying he is not a bad player" = "Not saying he is a good player" = "Saying he's a bad player". Possibly too many "Not"s in your sentence.

webbo1990
01-07-2010, 03:27 PM
A tricky one. The guy has been found not guilty so he surely deserves a chance to resurrect his career. Good luck to him recovering from the trauma to his legs. There's also the mental side of things too.

I suspect his wage demands may be lower than expected, what with all the stuff that has gone on. A lot of clubs will avoid him like the plague.

A trial seems like a good idea. Of course his signing might upset the applecart what with the community that our club is in.

pedro
01-07-2010, 03:32 PM
CPS thought there was enough to press charges and dare I say it but just because you have been found 'Not Guilty' and viewed as innocent it doesn't always mean you definitely didn't commit the crime it just means it couldn't be proved that you did if you get my drift.

pedro
01-07-2010, 03:34 PM
We could sign him and Marlon King, hold a joint press conference and then leave the two of them to compare notes on who is the hardest.

woz1974
01-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Worth a stab i suppose:D

KungFuCharlie
01-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Maybe offer Joey Barton the captain's armband and put in a bid for Lee Hughes?

No thanks. Not at my club.

MasterYoda
01-07-2010, 03:41 PM
i'd have repped that if you hadn't put the smiley.

kolinkins
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Thug.

Plus, hardly good enough for the CCC before - lord knows how he got a Prem gig. Won't be up to it after he recovers.

webbo1990
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Aside from rifling through the case notes and chat to the barristers and judge etc, all we can do is take that 'not guilty' verdict and have a butchers at him, if GB fancies it obviously. Who knows what kind of state his legs are in after those injuries though?

As for King, he has a whole cabinet at NSY of crimes against him and has been proved guilty, so he is a different kettle of fish.

Selhurst Celtic
01-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Aren't Palace supposed to be slashing the wage bill?

GUCCI Eagle
01-07-2010, 03:50 PM
No racists please.

spike
01-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Has he given up the booze as well?

Whether or not he did headbutt her, he still went round to confront her when pissed, which is still a major blot on his reputation.

webbo1990
01-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Whether or not he did headbutt her, he still went round to confront her when pissed, which is still a major blot on his reputation.
It was a domestic matter though, for a while. Surely most people have had rows with their siblings? This one obviously escalated somewhat.

My brother and sister used to fight like cat and dog. There was never a headbutt, baby or knife involved though...

spike
01-07-2010, 04:03 PM
From the reports on BBC, her version is that he and his dad turned up drunk at 2 in the morning.
He admitted he'd had 8 pints before turning up (no mention of at what time).

I've never done that to any of my sisters.

doodledandy
01-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Where is your justification of this?

1) Beggars can't be choosers and if he wants to be a player again, he'll need to re-establish himself somewhere and at the moment, he will have to be contented on less, until he proves his worth. Besides, none of us know what he is expecting to earn, do we?

2) How do you know he's a thug? In front of a Judge and Jury, he was found not guilty, but you, without hearing one single scrap of hard and/or factual evidence, find him guilty! That's sad!

3) He possibly could do better than Palace, but if other clubs have your mentality, maybe not!

thehalifaxman
01-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Steven Gerrard was innocent in front or a Jury - nuff said - footballers can do what they like.

doodledandy
01-07-2010, 04:38 PM
His Sister sound like a real angel. She had her first child with a convicted murderer Neville Knight, who's now serving a life sentence and her second with a vile thug who stabbed her brother in the legs and has probably wrecked his career. Nice!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2605061/Calum-Davenports-sister-mouths-to-stab-suspect-I-love-you.html

davemorris04
01-07-2010, 04:46 PM
There's no smoke without fire...

Owngoal
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Callum davidson looked good if we wanted an old hand

If we want a young hand we could ask stevie G whoever he is....

917L
01-07-2010, 05:08 PM
CPS thought there was enough to press charges .

Thats hardly a certain way of establishing guilt or innocence is it

After all they've got it badly wrong more than once in the past

AJ8
01-07-2010, 05:44 PM
its on a knife edge...

budgie
01-07-2010, 05:48 PM
CPS thought there was enough to press charges and dare I say it but just because you have been found 'Not Guilty' and viewed as innocent it doesn't always mean you definitely didn't commit the crime it just means it couldn't be proved that you did if you get my drift.

I havn't read any of the details re Callum Davidson, I just hope if I ever find myself in court on a charge, you aren't in the jury.

CPS thought there was enough, so he must be guilty.??????

kuqicrisp
01-07-2010, 06:03 PM
There's no smoke without fire...

Smoke machines...

NathanCPFCD
01-07-2010, 06:03 PM

a) CPFC2010 can make the decision on whether his wages would be too high. If they allow Burley to bring him in then who's to say the wages are too high? Not you.

b) Proved not guilty

c) If he was to join then he obviously cannot do better than palace.

Useless reasons not to sign a talented player.

David Amsalem
01-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Plus, hardly good enough for the CCC before

That just isn't true even in the slightest.

sydnsteve
02-07-2010, 07:55 AM

Beanie, I've read the testimony, and he sounds a really nasty piece of work. How he was fould not guilty escapes me. OJ Simpson was also found not guilty, so let's not pretend every verdict is correct.
I'd hate us to sign him.

ChristalPalace
02-07-2010, 08:27 AM
He's currently on another trial, this time at Oldham Athletic rather than the Old Bailey.

He's made 22 league appearances in 3 and a half years, one of which saw him sustain a bad neck injury on his loan debut for Watford. Now he's been stabbed in the leg too. Those two things alone suggest we should perhaps steer well clear.

kolinkins
02-07-2010, 08:44 AM
That just isn't true even in the slightest.

I thought he was over-hyped and over-rated. He had no pace, his positioning wasn't great. He tried to be a ball player, and that is what made people rave about him.

GreatGonzo
02-07-2010, 09:53 AM

If clubs stopped employing players who do something silly when drunk we would be watching park football each weekend.

He maybe too 'damaged' to play agin but no harm in taking a look and potentially picking up a very good defender, who i think would compliment Paddy well, on a free and low(ish) wages.

ChristalPalace
05-08-2010, 08:07 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/nottm_forest/8886848.stm

Training with Forest. From Billy Davies' comments there, his fitness must be down quite a bit.

Maidstoned Eagle
05-08-2010, 08:09 AM
If clubs stopped employing players who do something silly when drunk we would be watching park football each weekend.

He maybe too 'damaged' to play agin but no harm in taking a look and potentially picking up a very good defender, who i think would compliment Paddy well, on a free and low(ish) wages.
How do you feel about Marlon King playing for Palace?

GreatGonzo
05-08-2010, 08:13 AM
How do you feel about Marlon King playing for Palace?

Slight difference, Marlon King was charged, went to trial, CONVICTED and spent time.

Davenport was found NOT GUILTY.

thehalifaxman
05-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Woodgate was not guilty (because he was a footballer). His crime was WORSE than Kings. We discussed that sensibly didn't we ;)

GreatGonzo
05-08-2010, 08:35 AM
thehalifaxman - However when someone is found not guilty they have been given the benefit of the doubt by our legal system, do they not deserve the same from us? There will always be people who will believe they did what was accused but whereas there is some doubt with a Not Guilty verdict a group of normal people decided there was absolutely no doubt that King did what he was accused of.

To penalise someone found Not Guilty to me sends out a dangerous message about our legal system.

Kirby
05-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Davenport's training with Forest.

EDIT: Just seen above.

stevek
05-08-2010, 09:33 AM
I reckon he'll go to Sheffield Utd. (Think about it.)

tbooker
07-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Surely would have been worth a punt.....wages wouldnt have been a problem looking at who he has joined

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2010/09/07/ex-west-ham-defender-calum-davenport-drops-nine-leagues-to-join-wootton-blue-cross

m355y
07-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Reportedly looks absolutely nothing like a professional footballer anymore. His career's finished.

NathanCPFCD
07-09-2010, 06:41 PM
thehalifaxman - However when someone is found not guilty they have been given the benefit of the doubt by our legal system, do they not deserve the same from us? There will always be people who will believe they did what was accused but whereas there is some doubt with a Not Guilty verdict a group of normal people decided there was absolutely no doubt that King did what he was accused of.

To penalise someone found Not Guilty to me sends out a dangerous message about our legal system.

I completely understand what you are getting at but think you may be slightly misguided. Our legal system, if I am not mistaken, says that people are innocent until proven guilty. And therefore if there is ANY doubt that the crime had been committed, the court cannot sanction a guilty verdict.

However, I do agree if someone is found not guilty they should be given the BOTD.

cpfcfan1
07-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Crikey what a drop down, but cant say I'm supprised

Hope all works out for the lad

Budgie Byrne
07-09-2010, 06:46 PM

This is not true at all. I work with his father, who himself was a goalkeeper, but not in England he played in the states. Now he is the MD of the UK arm of a multi national company.

Please do not forget that the low life who tried to murder Callum, also attacked his mother and it was in his mothers home. Callum did not go around to confront his sisters boyfriend.

What annoys me is that people make judgments on others without knowing the full facts. Even when they are found not guilty they still bleat out the "no smoke without fire" mantra.

Who knows if Callum will be able to play pro football again? However there is no reason other on ability and fitness that any club should not give him a chance.

Its very interesting reading the comments about Callum, then seeing the reaction on the thread about Edgar Davids apparent trouble with the law at present. Just because he plays for Palace it must all be rubbish.

Selective morals some people have!

sydnsteve
09-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Woodgate was not guilty (because he was a footballer). His crime was WORSE than Kings. We discussed that sensibly didn't we ;)

He was found guilty old fruit.