Dartford Lad
02-07-2010, 11:00 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6241827,00.html

TheCharmer
02-07-2010, 11:03 AM
cue more Speroni hysteria!

dannyboy1807
02-07-2010, 11:04 AM
would he want to be a number 2 here thats the question.

Niel Smillie
02-07-2010, 11:06 AM
He is a highly rated keeper and I don't think he would go to a club where he would be second choice.

KungFuCharlie
02-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Jules is 31, this lad is 23. He'd be jumping up 2 leagues. Sounds like a perfect move all round to me.

You need to buy players like this now and if needed loan them back out.

rhynoeagle
02-07-2010, 11:11 AM
I think as a youngster he'd be happy to sit on the bench for 2 seasons or so, getting the championship standard training, cup games experiance. And when Jules is ready to leave to a weaker club, he may be able to fill in.

Cheap wages, Free Transfer it sounds nice to me.

Niel Smillie
Jules is 31, this lad is 23. He'd be jumping up 2 leagues. Sounds like a perfect move all round to me.

31 for a keeper is nothing and the lad as you call him could be 31 before Jules packs it in.

dufski13

Are we really the new f**king Chelsea or Spurs ? What you suggest is at the very heart of everything i detest about modern football.

DASTOR
Maybe he would come here as second choice - for a year or so. Let's face it we need Jules to sign an extended contract and we probably need to include a clause that should a good offer from a prem club come we will not stand in his way. He deserves to be in the prem and if we can get another year from him nd then he moved on we could prmise the number 2 would be moved up the pecking order. Would allow him to settle in under little pressure possibly?

rhynoeagle
02-07-2010, 11:12 AM
31 for a keeper is nothing and the lad as you call him could be 31 before Jules packs it in.

This is true, but the older you get the more vunreble to injury you become. Anything might happen, one goal kick and its all over possibly :(

But that will never happen, Jules will be a Palace legend, smashing the most apperances at the age of 39 :afro: :lux:

Niel Smillie
02-07-2010, 11:20 AM
I do think that we should be signing a keeper around Williams age, but not one who already is so established and sort after. We should find one who would be happy to learn from Jules and develope into the number 1 at the club.

telodaja
02-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Almost certain to be back up keeper. GB has stated he is looking for a back up. A couple of seasons ago Fon Williams was being touted as a future Wales nbr 1, but from reading Stockport County boards last season his confidence has taken a bit of a battering after last season, which is hardly surprising.
So would be a good move for both parties, gives him a chance to re-establish himself whilst we groom him to take over when Speroni eventually retires.

KungFuCharlie
02-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Are we really the new f**king Chelsea or Spurs ? What you suggest is at the very heart of everything i detest about modern football.

What's your solution to the second goalkeeper problem then?

Us getting a young inexperienced keeper from a Div 2 team on a free is totally incomparable to what Chelsea or Spurs do.

As others have said, Jules could easily get injured, or move on.

This lad has a choice - be number 1 in league 2, or number 2 in the championship. It's up to him, not you, which he thinks is best for him.

telodaja
02-07-2010, 11:28 AM

True but you also need a decent back up in the event of injury / suspension.
I would prefer a 23 year old who has a few years experience and obvious talent to an 18/19 year old who was only on the bench last year because he was the only other keeper. That's not having a dig at Mann as I have never seen him play. Fon Williams or someone similar is also the preferred option to a journeyman keeper who simply wants to sit on the bench and take his money at the end of his career.

Freddy Kurz
02-07-2010, 11:33 AM
cue more Speroni hysteria!

Why? Burley has just told the local papers that Speroni will be his No.1 'keeper next season.
Wiiliams would be needed as his back-up

kolinkins
02-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Could do much worse for back up.

bigend1
02-07-2010, 11:34 AM
What's your solution to the second goalkeeper problem then?

Us getting a young inexperienced keeper from a Div 2 team on a free is totally incomparable to what Chelsea or Spurs do.

As others have said, Jules could easily get injured, or move on.

This lad has a choice - be number 1 in league 2, or number 2 in the championship. It's up to him, not you, which he thinks is best for him.

thats just it. while i dont like the big clubs buying up all the young talent in the hope one or two of them might make the grade, thus screwing up careers and stitching up clubs who would have otherwise had the young talent playing for them, a back up keeper is a tricky one and not comparable to the spuds really.

its one position, and if you are number one probably the safest spot to keep. to try and keep two keepers who feel they should be outright number one happy is not easy, especially if you dont have chelski kind of money to throw at them. for a club like palace a number two on cheap wages will have to surely come from the lower leagues, be young and hope for the chance to improve and break into the side in the higher leagues. Its not like a loan is a likely option.. premiership clubs wont want to send us a player to sit on our bench, and lower league clubs wont want to loan us a player who would presumably be their first choice. not an easy solution to this one and if a young goalkeeper thinks stepping up a league or two is worth some time on the bench then that is just the sort of move we want to make.

Niel Smillie
02-07-2010, 11:49 AM
True but you also need a decent back up in the event of injury / suspension.
I would prefer a 23 year old who has a few years experience and obvious talent to an 18/19 year old who was only on the bench last year because he was the only other keeper. That's not having a dig at Mann as I have never seen him play. Fon Williams or someone similar is also the preferred option to a journeyman keeper who simply wants to sit on the bench and take his money at the end of his career.

How about someone like Ben Smith just released from Doncaster.
The same age as Williams and has had already 2-3 seasons in league football
Would cost nothing and wages would be very low compared to Williams.
http://www.givemefootball.com/transfer-details?player=19382&playerID=9569

Ruskin Old Boy
02-07-2010, 11:51 AM
If this news was in the Daily Mail it might be credible ;)

TheCharmer
02-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Why? Burley has just told the local papers that Speroni will be his No.1 'keeper next season.
Wiiliams would be needed as his back-up

I havent seen this, can you put a link up?

jobiinthelastmi
02-07-2010, 12:01 PM
What keeper jumps two leagues and claims the number one shirt without playing a game?

He would be understudy to Speroni.

TheCharmer
02-07-2010, 12:02 PM
got it

http://www.sportcroydon.co.uk/palacenews/Burley-rules-Speroni-departure/article-2364968-detail/article.html

telodaja
02-07-2010, 12:03 PM
How about someone like Ben Smith just released from Doncaster.
The same age as Williams and has had already 2-3 seasons in league football
Would cost nothing and wages would be very low compared to Williams.
http://www.givemefootball.com/transfer-details?player=19382&playerID=9569
Don't know that much about him, but I thought Sullivan had been their regular keeper for the last couple of years. TBH wouldn't have thought Williams was not on that much at County, up till last week they had been in admin since April 2009, so am guessing they would have moved him on if he was that high an earner. But yes I agree this is the type of keeper we need as a back up.

sheepy
02-07-2010, 12:08 PM
With back up goal keepers, they should always be of the standard slightly below the league the team are in and should spend much of the season on loan depending on if your first choice picks up an injury.

For the lad is a move to a championship club, extra cash and a more secure future as he knows that although he might spend much of the time on loan he'll be guaranteed a pay check from the parent club.

Niel Smillie
02-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Don't know that much about him, but I thought Sullivan had been their regular keeper for the last couple of years. TBH wouldn't have thought Williams was not on that much at County, up till last week they had been in admin since April 2009, so am guessing they would have moved him on if he was that high an earner. But yes I agree this is the type of keeper we need as a back up.
The reason I feel that Williams will be a higher earner is that many clubs were reported to be watching him last season and as someone has posted, he is tipped to be the Welsh No 1.
So he will see this as his chance to really increase his wages with this move, because I think there will be an auction for his signature. He has chosen not to re-sign rather than being given a free transfer. His agent will have no doubt been touting him around. Sullivan was their keeper but they signed Smith from Hereford and he never got a game. Hereford and Shrewsbury is where he got his league experience.

telodaja
02-07-2010, 12:21 PM
The reason I feel that Williams will be a higher earner is that many clubs were reported to be watching him last season and as someone has posted, he is tipped to be the Welsh No 1.
So he will see this as his chance to really increase his wages with this move, because I think there will be an auction for his signature. He has chosen not to re-sign rather than being given a free transfer. His agent will have no doubt been touting him around. Sullivan was their keeper but they signed Smith from Hereford and he never got a game. Hereford and Shrewsbury is where he got his league experience.

Right with you now. You could be right about Williams wages, but County were selling anything that wasn't nailed down, hence their awful season. Also Williams was dropped towards the end of the season for someone signed from non league. Will have to wait & see, but either way this is the type of back up keeper we should be going for :p

elgin eagle
02-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Speroni has been quite lucky to have remained as injury free as he has done, but we should have a decent back up for when he gets injured, someone who can step up and do the business. This lad might well fit the bill, and would fit into the wage structure. Perhaps Stuart Taylor, recently released by Man City would also do that, but would want more money than him. Both freebies though.

Latvian Eagle
02-07-2010, 01:24 PM
His name is Fon Williams isn't it? Not Williams... Pretty sure he has FON WILLIAMS on the back of his shirt.

webbo1990
02-07-2010, 01:26 PM
thats just it. while i dont like the big clubs buying up all the young talent in the hope one or two of them might make the grade, thus screwing up careers and stitching up clubs who would have otherwise had the young talent playing for them, a back up keeper is a tricky one and not comparable to the spuds really.

its one position, and if you are number one probably the safest spot to keep. to try and keep two keepers who feel they should be outright number one happy is not easy, especially if you dont have chelski kind of money to throw at them. for a club like palace a number two on cheap wages will have to surely come from the lower leagues, be young and hope for the chance to improve and break into the side in the higher leagues. Its not like a loan is a likely option.. premiership clubs wont want to send us a player to sit on our bench, and lower league clubs wont want to loan us a player who would presumably be their first choice. not an easy solution to this one and if a young goalkeeper thinks stepping up a league or two is worth some time on the bench then that is just the sort of move we want to make.
True - reserve keeper is a very odd and lonely position in a football club. Take Steve Harper at Newcastle - the poor sod (rated by a lot of people) has only played 133 games for Newcastle in 17 years, and that includes last season when he was number one, at last.

I have a mate who supports Bury and have gone with him to see them five times in the past two years. On all five occassions I left the ground harping on about how good their keeper was. After doing some research I have found out his name is Wayne Brown, but the guy is 33. Bury have been in the top third of League 2 for the past 2 years, so he has been doing something right. He might be a good reserve for a season or two, until Mann comes of age...