PDA

View Full Version : Mullins To Villa/Newcastle For 3m ???

Son of Selhurst
22-03-2002, 05:45 PM
Just been announced in the press.

Jolly Norwegian
22-03-2002, 05:46 PM
Hope you're kidding!! :veryangry Source, please!

Son of Selhurst
22-03-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Jolly Norwegian
Hope you're kidding!! :veryangry Source, please!

http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk/0400crystalpalace/0100news/page.cfm?objectid=11725817&method=full&siteid=50100

It wasn't me!
22-03-2002, 05:50 PM
Ha Ha ha! Sorry couldn't help laughing, the South London is never right! They have even got the wrong scorers for the reserve match.

As for Hayden leaving, well I wouldn't blame him. He's a quality player. If I was him I'd leave.

NO1FAN
22-03-2002, 05:51 PM
Oh great one of If not our only creative player leaving! Fu*king great!

Bollox! :grrr:

Lords Eagle
22-03-2002, 05:51 PM
Surely the price is wrong at least.

Jolly Norwegian
22-03-2002, 05:52 PM
Hardly a press announcement... more like a rumour... :rolleyes:

cpfcben
22-03-2002, 05:53 PM
i hope its not true but he is worth more than 3 million

Jim Cannons Moustache
22-03-2002, 05:54 PM
no idea is this is true or not but frankly I wouldn't be surprised.

At the moment this club just makes me want to :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

c_block_lad
22-03-2002, 05:56 PM
Mullins to Villa for 3m
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Son of Selhurst please dont mislead people by making out that he is certain to go, he is not. Untill it is confirmed by either club I will not believe a word of this. Can one of the mods delete this misleading thread please?

Beanie
22-03-2002, 05:57 PM
Anybody notice the question mark in the headline and the word "COULD" in the first line?

More press speculation - and certainly not an "announcement".

Son of Selhurst
22-03-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
Mullins to Villa for 3m
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Son of Selhurst please dont mislead people by making out that he is certain to go, he is not. Untill it is confirmed by either club I will not believe a word of this. Can one of the mods delete this misleading thread please?

Erm... have you read the title of this forum???

And it's the press. And they announced it.

c_block_lad
22-03-2002, 06:06 PM
Son of Selhurst the title says: Mullins to Villa for 3 Million, As I dont see him going their and it has not been confirmed by either club that he is going, please re-name this misleading title and thread, and dont try to put me down either:rolleyes:

sfchapman
22-03-2002, 06:07 PM
That's not an annoucement!

annoucements dont have question marks at the end of the heading!

Essexeagle
22-03-2002, 06:09 PM
It is not an announcement, it is a story, rumour and speculation.

Son of Selhurst
22-03-2002, 06:13 PM
Well excuse me for alerting people to some information. And the FORUM title (not the thread title) says it's for Transfer info and 'rumours'.

If the agent has said he's in talks and deadline day is approaching, and we're not going up, then in most cases, 'rumours' like these are based on fact.

And if you're all upset by threads giving you some information I found, then you might as well delete 95% of the crap on this BBS.

And if he does go to Villa for 3m, then I want an apology. And 20.

Jolly Norwegian
22-03-2002, 06:16 PM
I don't mind reading rumours, but as already stated, it's not an announcement!

Merton Eagle
22-03-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by NO1FAN

Bollox! :grrr: Sorry but anyone who thinks their best and most preferred position is right back can never be creative. I should know, I play there. Anyway, it's not necessarily true although Graham Taylor prefers to trawl through the 1st Div for talent and it pleases deadly Doug. I wouldn't write this off completely but not for 3mil. We aint that stupid. I hope.

c_block_lad
22-03-2002, 06:19 PM
Jolly Norwegian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well said, my points exaclty. Why are trying to put me down Son of Selhurst, isnt it a bit sad?

Panzer
22-03-2002, 06:21 PM
Jeez 3million! thats a lot, I'd snap Villa's arms off for that...for him!!!

Santos
22-03-2002, 06:22 PM
Why is everyone dismissing this. Ok it might be a rumour - but the outcome is still inevitable whether he goes to Villa or not. Mullins is an excellent footballer and deserves to play in the premier league. If he doesn't go before deadline day, he will be gone before next season.

Son of Selhurst
22-03-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
Jolly Norwegian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well said, my points exaclty. Why are trying to put me down Son of Selhurst, isnt it a bit sad?

EH??? You come on here dissing MY thread, and I'M supposed to be putting YOU down?!? If I wanted to do that, I'd just tell you to **** off!

Which I didn't. So calm down.

c_block_lad
22-03-2002, 06:29 PM
EH??? You come on here dissing MY thread, and I'M supposed to be putting YOU down?!? If I wanted to do that, I'd just tell you to **** off!

Which I didn't. So calm down.
Good one:( ;)

Merton Eagle
22-03-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Santos
Why is everyone dismissing this. Ok it might be a rumour - but the outcome is still inevitable whether he goes to Villa or not. Mullins is an excellent footballer and deserves to play in the premier league. If he doesn't go before deadline day, he will be gone before next season. He can be replaced. I wish everyone would stop panicing because we are selling a right back/5th defender. He is replacable. One thing TF did do this season was bring in some good defenders on the cheap. There are more around. I'd be more worried about losing play making midfielders and goal scoring forwards. At the moment we have neither but that's another matter. I would like to see us scoop up 4mil for him. If Ben Thatcher was worth 5mil then Mullins is worth similar. If he goes, and I think he probably will somewhere, I wish him all the best.

g23
22-03-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Merton Eagle
Sorry but anyone who thinks their best and most preferred position is right back can never be creative. I should know, I play there. Anyway, it's not necessarily true although Graham Taylor prefers to trawl through the 1st Div for talent and it pleases deadly Doug. I wouldn't write this off completely but not for 3mil. We aint that stupid. I hope.

Cafu? Thuram? Or even Shaun Wright-Phillips?

Merton Eagle
22-03-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by g23

Cafu? Thuram? Or even Shaun Wright-Phillips? Since when do you see Mullins taking on players down the right wing on overlaps and build up play? Erm, not very often. Cafu & Thuram, apart from them being on a different level completely, are more dynamic players and cope with going forward better because they're able to quickly switch from attack to defence, and vice versa. My suspicion is that Mullins isn't. Sure he brings the ball out well but I reckon he prefers to play at the back because it demands a focus on one area of play and facing on one direction. i.e - Stoping & starting play. Not being involved in the full mix of stoping, starting and being onvolved in the middle of the pitch. And so back to the original debate - I rate Mullins and would like him to stay but he can be replaced. But I don't think he'll ever be a back 4 defender. He's good in a back 5 though.

Merton Eagle
22-03-2002, 06:43 PM
Forgot to say that Shaun Wright-Philipps doesn't play right back does he?

Joe Knight
22-03-2002, 06:44 PM
He can be replaced. I wish everyone would stop panicing because we are selling a right back/5th defender. He is replacable. One thing TF did do this season was bring in some good defenders on the cheap. There are more around. I'd be more worried about losing play making midfielders and goal scoring forwards. At the moment we have neither but that's another matter. I would like to see us scoop up 4mil for him. If Ben Thatcher was worth 5mil then Mullins is worth similar. If he goes, and I think he probably will somewhere, I wish him all the best.

but he is our most creative force in midfield, which, incidentally, is where Trev prefers to play him.

i don't want Mullins to leave

Beanie
22-03-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Son of Selhurst
If the agent has said he's in talks and deadline day is approaching, and we're not going up, then in most cases, 'rumours' like these are based on fact.

BUT - his agent DOESN'T say that does he? What he actually says is -

"Mullins' agent Andrew Mills confirmed: "There has been an inquiry but I haven't had any contact with either club about a deal at this stage. I'm not expecting anything to be done this week"

He does say anything COULD happen - which is true. I don't think anybody is against rumours being posted as rumours - it's just claiming they are "announcements" that is the problem

Merton Eagle
22-03-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Joe Knight

but he is our most creative force in midfield, which, incidentally, is where Trev prefers to play him.

i don't want Mullins to leave I would rather go out and buy 5mill worth of creative talent for our midfield than rely on Mullins alone. We could buy Brown, Macken and more. Mullins is a product of our youth and we're proud of him but at the right price he deserves to go when it is right for both parties.

Cleon
22-03-2002, 07:00 PM
Mullins is a quality player, and is clearly out best midfield player. When you add to that the fact that he has come from our youth team (which I believe engenders a greater loyalty/effort), I think 3m would be a very poor return, and could not see us buying as good/committed as player as Mullins for that kind of money.

It wasn't me!
22-03-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Beanie

BUT - his agent DOESN'T say that does he? What he actually says is -

"Mullins' agent Andrew Mills confirmed: "There has been an inquiry but I haven't had any contact with either club about a deal at this stage. I'm not expecting anything to be done this week"

He does say anything COULD happen - which is true. I don't think anybody is against rumours being posted as rumours - it's just claiming they are "announcements" that is the problem

I wouldn't believe anything his agent says! I just did a search on this bloke and he is Ade's agent as well. There are articles about the interest Palace had with Ade and in them it say's Ade's agent Andrew Mills say's he's happy at Leicester and will not be going anywhere.

g23
22-03-2002, 07:07 PM
Merton - I was only arguing your point that right-backs couldn't be creative. They were the first three who sprang to mind, from what could have been a very long list. All play or have played right back (inlcuding SW-P at right wing-back) and all are, as you say, creative, attcking dynamic players who also play their position defensively at a high level.

wedgetail
22-03-2002, 07:11 PM
I was about to start a thread on Hayden when I saw this one. I believe we should sell Hayden, not because of any failure on his part but because we don't know how to use him to his best potential. He needs to play for a manager who can get the best from him and lets be honest that is never going to be Trevor Francis. The money recieved could go towards one or two players that we can fit into the team. I really believe that Hayden is a class player who we haven't been developing correctly.

Elephant with mouse gyp
22-03-2002, 07:12 PM
He's good in a back 5 though.

I tend to agree with that. From Francis' point of view, getting shot of Mullins (and Kirowski) will help him change us into a straightforward 4-4-2 side, rather than a 4-4-2 side that wants with all its heart to be a 5-3-2 side.

Do Villa still play 3/5 at the back under Taylor?

cpfcben
22-03-2002, 07:18 PM
''I believe we should sell Hayden, not because of any failure on his part but because we don't know how to use him to his best potential.''

who's faults that then,the manager me thinks

Gazza2
22-03-2002, 07:18 PM
Would be a bad loss 4 the team. He was outstanding at Man City. We should be looking to build a team around good young players like him rather than filling it with old men.

Merton Eagle
22-03-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp

I tend to agree with that. From Francis' point of view, getting shot of Mullins (and Kirowski) will help him change us into a straightforward 4-4-2 side, rather than a 4-4-2 side that wants with all its heart to be a 5-3-2 side.

Do Villa still play 3/5 at the back under Taylor? They play with 4 at the back. Barry doesn't play in midfield any more. He plays left midfield. Oh and another important point to note, Villa have been linked with Peter Crouch so how valid is all today's sfootball gossip? :rolleyes:

Del Gland
22-03-2002, 07:36 PM
I hate to be a sourpuss but I reckon Mullins to be the most overated player at this club. I have lost count of the number of times that he has looked up and just played the ball to the opponents feet, putting us under sudden and unnecessary pressure.

3m? Why not? Whatever we all think of Francis, the team has underachieved this year and needs a shake up It's time to find new heroes that will be proud to wear the shirt. The current squad have let the fans and themselves down too many times with their lethargic enthusiasm so why not remove some of the senior players to let the new men shine through.

pete eagle
22-03-2002, 07:39 PM
yes i can imagine SJ accepting 3m for Mullins

DE: I'd like to buy Mullins - 3m is my offer
SJ: .......................... no ( in polite terms)

Stubby
22-03-2002, 07:40 PM
Well not mentioned on avfc.co.uk (what the papers say) All it does say is that Peter 'The Freak' Crouch could be Taylor's first signing for ....... wait for it ....... 3 million !!!!

Beanie
22-03-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!

I wouldn't believe anything his agent says! I just did a search on this bloke and he is Ade's agent as well. There are articles about the interest Palace had with Ade and in them it say's Ade's agent Andrew Mills say's he's happy at Leicester and will not be going anywhere.

I totally agree - just because the agent say there have been no talks, doesn't mean they haven't.

My point is that we are told as fact the agent has said one thing, when he has said another, we told it was an announcement when it is a rumour.

I'm not really picking on SofS - it really winds me up how often wild speculation is pushed as fact or (and NOT in this case) "inside knowledge". All for rumours, all for gossip and wild speculation - but it should be posted for what it is. Some of it is true, or becomes true, and this could be such a story, but at this point it's pure press speculation.

Selhurst Eagle
22-03-2002, 08:08 PM
There's also an article at anavova.com that says:

"Mullins could join Villa in summer

Crystal Palace midfielder Hayden Mullins could move to Aston Villa this summer if his side fail to win promotion.

Mullins' agent confirmed earlier this week that he was the subject of an enquiry from Villa boss Graham Taylor.

But the 22-year-old will not contemplate a move while Palace are heavily involved in the play-off race.

He said: "If Palace accepted an offer I'd be delighted. Of course I want to play in the Premiership, and Villa are a big club.

"But it's ridiculous to think about a move elsewhere when Palace have a chance of making the play-offs.

"It's down to Palace really and I've just got to concentrate on a must-win game against Walsall.""

The 3million price tag from the South London site must be made up. But, as it does not look like we are going up. I can't see the likes of Mullins or Morrisson staying at Crystal Palace :( .

Ruskin Old Boy
22-03-2002, 08:31 PM
More likely than the Currant Bun story that Anelka is on his way back to Arsenal. Moral: don't believe the papers; it only encourages them

Reps AJ
22-03-2002, 08:59 PM
I would rather go out and buy 5mill worth of creative talent for our midfield than rely on Mullins alone. We could buy Brown, Macken and more. Mullins is a product of our youth and we're proud of him but at the right price he deserves to go when it is right for both parties.

Is this the 3mil rated Brown and the Macken that's just moved for 5mil?

Streatham man
22-03-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Joe Knight

i don't want Mullins to leave

he is our best midfielder -- and it will be a sad day if he goes.

Streatham man
22-03-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by wedgetail
I was about to start a thread on Hayden when I saw this one. I believe we should sell Hayden, not because of any failure on his part but because we don't know how to use him to his best potential. He needs to play for a manager who can get the best from him and lets be honest that is never going to be Trevor Francis. The money recieved could go towards one or two players that we can fit into the team. I really believe that Hayden is a class player who we haven't been developing correctly.

sounds like you are willing to throw out the baby with the bathwater. how about the notion of keeping one of our best players and ditching TF, who is the real problem???

Merton Eagle
22-03-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Reps AJ

Is this the 3mil rated Brown and the Macken that's just moved for 5mil? I meant Koumas and not Macken. Strange to confuse them but I honestly did mean to say, Koumas.

Lords Eagle
22-03-2002, 10:34 PM
Just a thought, Mullins says he hasn't been in touch with either club yet he knows there has been an inquiry, am I missing something here?

22-03-2002, 11:52 PM
Watch this space....for a week or two

wighteagle
23-03-2002, 12:16 AM
If that freak Peter Crouch is worth 3 million, then Hayden Mullins is worth a lot more than that.

Gooders
23-03-2002, 12:31 AM
He will be a loss but he needs to move and play with a better set of players if he is to continue to progress.

I think 3million is a fair price on what he's achieved to date.

BUNGLE
23-03-2002, 12:37 AM
If we plan to continue to play him in central midfield then it is no big loss, we could get a much better one for that price.

Walrus
23-03-2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Gooders

I think 3million is a fair price on what he's achieved to date.

Amen to that. Like many others I wouldn't be looking to sell Hayden, but if the right offer comes in and the player wants the move, then we should take the money.

Hayden's form has been very very erratic this season. He has gone from world-beater to Ryman League standard and all points in between this year. He has undoubted potential but I would honestly prefer Shaun Murphy at the back than Hayden.

Hayden's biggest asset is his versatility, but that is also his biggest drawback. He can play almost anywhere, but he cannot seem to excel in any position consistently. He's at his best IMHO as the spare man in a back 3 where his pace compliments the defensive qualities of teammates like Symons and Murphy.

Anyway, no offer is on the CPFC table yet it seems.

Sleeping Giant
23-03-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Del Gland
I hate to be a sourpuss but I reckon Mullins to be the most overated player at this club. I have lost count of the number of times that he has looked up and just played the ball to the opponents feet, putting us under sudden and unnecessary pressure.

Totally agree with you. His passing is so poor it's embarrasing. The annoying thing is i'm sure that he can do better, I believe his mental abilities severly restrict his progress with us. I wouldn't be surprised if at a higher level, for a team in which he was under pressure for his place, he might discover concentration and shine. I've lost patience with him for Palace and whilst I don't want to see him leave if he does and we a) get 3 mill plus b) spend most of it and c) keep Morrison, I think i'll forget him pretty quickly

NSO
23-03-2002, 01:33 AM
Mullins could look good under a proper manager. He played his best for Palace under Venables (spit) and Bruce (spit) and if I was him Id go to Villa rather than play for Palace under the t*sser TF until he is sacked next Christmas.

I cannot imagine Villa really paying 3m for Mullins but if they do we should take it.

23-03-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Streatham man

he is our best midfielder -- and it will be a sad day if he goes.

You may be unaware of this, but at a Fans Forum a couple of months ago, Trevor Francis stated that soon after his arrival as manager he asked Mullins where he preferred to play. Mullins replied that his first preference was at right back, and his second was centre back, provided he could play alongside a tall central defender. At no time did he express a preference to play in midfield, although Francis gave the impression that this was where he would like him to play.

24-03-2002, 03:30 AM
I too would be sorry to see Mullins leave us.
Maybe Merson in PX would help soften my disappointment. :p

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/fart.gif

Dave
24-03-2002, 02:45 PM
Arse - there is a strong feeling that this is a done deal - and will be announced transfer deadline day.

Have we seen the last match ever by Mullins in a Palace shirt?

To be honest I could understand if Mr Jordan wanted to recoup some of the huge amount he has spunked into the club over the last two years but to spend 2.4m on Ade then to sell Mulins for circa 3m doesn't make any sense to me.

We have replaced Mullins who is an able midfielder/defender (of which we don't have many) with another forward despite haveing two of the most prolific strikers in the league.

Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes we aren't party to?

sexyrazor
24-03-2002, 02:53 PM
It would be a HUGE shame to see him go, but would be a brilliant career move especially if he wants a chance to be in the England set up!!

:)

Dave
24-03-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by sexyrazor
It would be a HUGE shame to see him go, but would be a brilliant career move especially if he wants a chance to be in the England set up!!

:)

hell yeah - I'd do the same if I were him

SKATE
24-03-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Stubby
Well not mentioned on avfc.co.uk (what the papers say) All it does say is that Peter 'The Freak' Crouch could be Taylor's first major signing for ....... wait for it ....... 3 million !!!!

They quoted 5m in todays paper!!!!! A ludicrous amount for ludicrous player. If Crouch is worth even 3m then Ade is a bargain.!

As for hayden - I'd be really sad to see him go. But if he does it has to be more than 3m unless we get a PX player as well.....

Walrus
24-03-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by SKATE

They quoted 5m in todays paper!!!!! A ludicrous amount for ludicrous player. If Crouch is worth even 3m then Ade is a bargain.!

As for hayden - I'd be really sad to see him go. But if he does it has to be more than 3m unless we get a PX player as well.....

3 million plus that young German lad Thomas Hitzlsperger (spelling?) would be a good deal.

LLCOOLSTEVE
24-03-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Walrus

that young German lad Thomas Hitzlsperger (spelling?) would be a good deal.

Very much doubt that they would let him go............

Forever Stripes
24-03-2002, 10:33 PM
For once I have 'inside' information. Hayden was talking just two days ago that he was happy here and having fairly recently moved house had settled and had no plans to move. Grotty Birmingham is hell of a trip each day if you're happy to stay down here.:p

3 million in these days of inflated prices. I think he's worth a little bit more.:eek:

Dillenger
25-03-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Forever Stripes
For once I have 'inside' information. Hayden was talking just two days ago that he was happy here and having fairly recently moved house had settled and had no plans to move. Grotty Birmingham is hell of a trip each day if you're happy to stay down here.:p

lets hope so.

it would be one thing to lose hayden for that price if we had a competent manager to re-invest, but the thought of mick mills nipping off to scandinavia with a few million quid burning a hole in his pocket is pretty worrying.

how about merson comes in, francis leaves, we have merson as player manager with kember & bullivant doing the hard work.

Gareth A
25-03-2002, 12:26 AM
Having been at Villa Park last week for their game against Arsenal I would certainly not recommend him as a future Palace player on his current form. He would be little more than a luxury in the same mould as David Ginola, promotion winning clubs tend to be successful with experienced pros in the mould of Kevin Ball, Alex Rae & Neil McNab not flare players who go missing for most of the game.

As to the suggestion that he might be a future player manager I can only hope that you're not serious. If we were to consider a player manager or at least a manager in his 30's (and frankly I can't see Francis leaving before the of next season at the earliest) I would look no further than Geoff Thomas who I believe is being groomed at Crewe to succeed Dario Gradi.

Sir.S.C Remembered
25-03-2002, 01:12 AM
wont happen Mullins should be more appreciated though!

Sir.S.C Remembered
25-03-2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by NO1FAN

Bollox! :grrr:

MULLINS IS NOT CREATIVE!!!! He is a centre back who is comfortable on the ball for a centre back! In midfiled he spreads the ball well but that it is!

PalaceFan in Alabama
25-03-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Dave
Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes we aren't party to?

A Party! OK who forgot to let me know about this :p I bet it was Les Butler, the Party King of the Frozen North :p :D

Walrus
25-03-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Gareth A
Having been at Villa Park last week for their game against Arsenal I would certainly not recommend him as a future Palace player on his current form. He would be little more than a luxury in the same mould as David Ginola, promotion winning clubs tend to be successful with experienced pros in the mould of Kevin Ball, Alex Rae & Neil McNab not flare players who go missing for most of the game.

As to the suggestion that he might be a future player manager I can only hope that you're not serious. If we were to consider a player manager or at least a manager in his 30's (and frankly I can't see Francis leaving before the of next season at the earliest) I would look no further than Geoff Thomas who I believe is being groomed at Crewe to succeed Dario Gradi.

Hard to argue with this quality post, so I won't :)

This season is one too many for Merson. I, like Gareth have seen Villa this season and Merson is only a shadow of his former self. The decline even from his performances of last season is staggering.

hughff
25-03-2002, 02:16 AM
Don't go Hayden. End of post.

Pete B
25-03-2002, 12:47 PM
Would much prefer Ian Taylor than Merson. Think he could do a job for another season or so in Div One.

Cleon
25-03-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
MULLINS IS NOT CREATIVE!!!! He is a centre back who is comfortable on the ball for a centre back! In midfiled he spreads the ball well but that it is!

He may not be 'creative' in the Kirovski mould, but he probably has more assists that most of our other midfielders, and he's spent half the season in defence. Lee, Batty, Viera, Ince and Keane are not 'creative' players, but have proven to be the glue that holds their respective teams together.

If we sell Mullins to Villa now, you can be sure of seeing Morrison and others leave in the summer, because of the message it will send out. And do you expect any replacement we might buy to be as committed as a player who has come through the youth ranks at Palace? I'm hoping this is idle paper-talk. This may prove to be the biggest test Simon Jordan has had to face so far.

Riccardo
25-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Forever Stripes

3 million in these days of inflated prices. I think he's worth a little bit more.:eek:

You got to balance the books though, seeing as AA cost 2.4m.

Personally, I think Francis would look even more of a fool letting Hayden go. Up to him and Mr Jordan though. What does it matter what we think....

Merton Eagle
25-03-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
MULLINS IS NOT CREATIVE!!!! He is a centre back who is comfortable on the ball for a centre back! In midfiled he spreads the ball well but that it is! Precisely, and something I've struggled to point out. He never unlocks defences or stamps his authority on the game.

25-03-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Pete B
Would much prefer Ian Taylor than Merson. Think he could do a job for another season or so in Div One.

I agree with you but I'm pretty sure Taylor will be Derby bound to link up with his old boss.

Plugster
26-03-2002, 12:44 AM
Rumour has it that after several weeks scouting, Newcastle will be putting in a bid of around 3m for Hayden Mullins. A Newcastle scout was at the game on Saturday and although he wouldn't confirm who he had been watching, recent speculation would point to Hayden Mullins. The deal will be going through before 5pm on Thursday.

26-03-2002, 01:10 AM
Surely Not?
Newcastle had to put through a weird staged payment deal to get Jenas from Notts Forest. It suited Forest in their financial plight as they were able to present Newcastles payment scheme as a guarantee on the loan the Bank wanted repaid.

I can't see they have the money for Mullins and surely Mr Flash won't be interested in any 'cash later' schemes.

I still reckon he'll be leaving, but to Aston Villa.

Jimbo ?
26-03-2002, 01:21 AM
I fear that there may be a small clearout of our stars in the summer - morrison mullins kirovski berhalter austin .....and this may destroy our hopes for next year!!!

ozeagle
26-03-2002, 01:31 AM
:sob:

Noodlezz
26-03-2002, 02:05 AM
:rolleyes: I share the same opinion, but is this not a little unreal, unless the players or Jordan are desperate for money surely we would not let "Mullins and Morrison" go. But then again this is palace :confused:

Gooders
26-03-2002, 02:15 AM
Teletext confirms that Villa will be signing Crouch for 3million (which I find quite unbelievable, I have to say). Would they also splash the same on Mullins?

pete eagle
26-03-2002, 02:18 AM
there's always scouts at games.

Doubt he would have been too impressed with Mullins though

Dave
26-03-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
Teletext confirms that Villa will be signing Crouch for 3million (which I find quite unbelievable, I have to say). Would they also splash the same on Mullins?

Unless half of south London are having a laugh at my expense - yes

biggus mickus
26-03-2002, 02:28 AM
In my humble opinion, it's all bollix. I never believe anything, till it happens.

Walrus
26-03-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by biggus mickus
In my humble opinion, it's all bollix. I never believe anything, till it happens.

Deadline day is around the corner Biggus. You won't have long to wait either way.

AJ
26-03-2002, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
I fear that there may be a small clearout of our stars in the summer - ...........austin .....and this may destroy our hopes for next year!!! [B]

Did I miss something?

bobby.p
26-03-2002, 03:05 AM
Hope the rumours are true, we can then get someone decent in, mullins been ***** all season very over rated just like the **** aki r. Main reason we aint going up because they think there good!!
sorry to piss a few people off!!!

pete eagle
26-03-2002, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by bobby.p
Hope the rumours are true, we can then get someone decent in, mullins been ***** all season very over rated just like the **** aki r. Main reason we aint going up because they think there good!!

Yes,yes Mullins has been bad all season :rolleyes:

TommyEagle
26-03-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by bobby.p

Totally disagree. Mullins seems to be a very confidence based player. He started the season really well and in my view was our most consistent performer up to when Bruce left. When his confidence is up he is a really good passer of the ball and controls the midfield/sweeper area. As with most of the other players, TF's arrival seems to have sparked a downturn in confidence and consequently, form. It's a shame because Mullins at best wold be worth 5/6m at today's prices. I hope he doesn't leave and I don't think he will. Clinton on the other hand, is a different matter.

What?
26-03-2002, 04:16 AM
If he goes it will be in the summer, not now! We can STILL make the play offs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jordan's not that stupid, is he?

BenCouchman
26-03-2002, 01:33 PM
Mullins is a class sweeper in a back five which is why he looked his best as a player under Bruce and Venables because they played this system.

If we play 5-3-2 then Mullins would be our best player. The amount of times he has been man of the match playing sweeper is amazing.

If we were going to sell him then in todays transfer market where you have to pay 3m for a freak who gave the ball away endlessly against us and 5m for a striker with only 11 first division goals to his name this season we should be looking at alot more than 3m for Hayden.

Not forgetting I think he scored about 11 goals one season from midfield and played for the under 21's there so maybe if Francis learnt some man management skills then he may rediscover this kind of form.

26-03-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Dillenger

lets hope so.

it would be one thing to lose hayden for that price if we had a competent manager to re-invest, but the thought of mick mills nipping off to scandinavia with a few million quid burning a hole in his pocket is pretty worrying.

how about merson comes in, francis leaves, we have merson as player manager with kember & bullivant doing the hard work.

and.... Merson setting all the right examples on self-discipline, life-style etc.. whenever Palace go through a bad patch and he is inevitably attacked by the Selhurst lynch-mob?

mean
26-03-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by AJ
[B] Re Austin

Did I miss something?

Yes apparently all (OK most) of the games since Christmas, when alongside Murphy Dean's been solid and the least of our problems.

budgie
26-03-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by mean

Yes apparently all (OK most) of the games since Christmas, when alongside Murphy Dean's been solid and the least of our problems.

... can't disagree with that, he's been very solid.

AJ
26-03-2002, 07:35 PM

I am still surprised to see him labeled as "one of our stars" and that he would be leaving us this summer (in preference to us letting him go).

For a moment, I thought we have signed another good center back:o

Merton Eagle
26-03-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by BenCouchman
Mullins is a class sweeper in a back five which is why he looked his best as a player under Bruce and Venables because they played this system.

If we play 5-3-2 then Mullins would be our best player. The amount of times he has been man of the match playing sweeper is amazing.

If we were going to sell him then in todays transfer market where you have to pay 3m for a freak who gave the ball away endlessly against us and 5m for a striker with only 11 first division goals to his name this season we should be looking at alot more than 3m for Hayden.

Not forgetting I think he scored about 11 goals one season from midfield and played for the under 21's there so maybe if Francis learnt some man management skills then he may rediscover this kind of form. Couldn't have said it better myself and for that reason I expect more than 3mill. As we don't play 3-5-2 then maybe he should go.

Sleeping Giant
26-03-2002, 09:34 PM

Dean has been ok for sure over the last few games and well done to him. The problem is that he is too prone to a nightmare though and we all know that his current peak is just that, a peak, not his average performance. The increased confidence that will engulf the side when a quality centre back joins Murphy will take us up a few notches as was the case when Vickers arrived. Since Bruce left, from what I can see we've had two quality centre backs only 3 times all season (not inc Cov). We won all of them. Austin is not the least of our worries.

Riccardo
26-03-2002, 11:45 PM
Any more news ?

Pete B
26-03-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by BenCouchman

Not forgetting I think he scored about 11 goals one season from midfield and played for the under 21's there so maybe if Francis learnt some man management skills then he may rediscover this kind of form.

Have to disagree with the word 'class' here. There have been very few class sweepers in the football world. It is a very specialised position and one of the key components is stepping forward and building attacks from the back. Anyone with a bit of pace can look good behind a pair of moderate centre backs picking up a loose ball ( even Edworthy managed it for a season) it is what they do with it once they have possession that really differentiates them from the rest.

Too often Mullins is caught in possession or needlessly gives the ball away. His passing has not progressed in his 4 years in the first team and he rarerly if ever contributes the killer pass to a forward.

He is undoubtedly talented but i fear will never reach his true potential (with Palace or anyone else) because he just doesn't have the drive/desire. Compare him to Southgate who is a less talented player but has bags of passion and commitment which has got him a long way.

Would be a shame to see him go but 3m is in my view a good price.

Calder2
27-03-2002, 02:38 AM
Mullins is a class act and easily worth 3 million in today's market. Do you realise that that is only 600K more than we paid for Akinbiyi - need I say more.

If I were Mullins and Morrison I would want to fulfill my ambitions of playing in the Premiership while I am still young. Let's face it, under Francis, we are never going to get there.

Pete B
27-03-2002, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Calder2
Mullins is a class act and easily worth 3 million in today's market. Do you realise that that is only 600K more than we paid for Akinbiyi - need I say more.

If I were Mullins and Morrison I would want to fulfill my ambitions of playing in the Premiership while I am still young. Let's face it, under Francis, we are never going to get there.

Class acts don't have a record of one goal in the last 70 games that they have played.

glaziers fan
27-03-2002, 03:28 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself and for that reason I expect more than 3mill. As we don't play 3-5-2 then maybe he should go.

spot on! in midfield hes worth 3k in defence hes worth 30m! he loves it there, and i love him there! It doesnt take a genius to work out he is a sammer style sweeper!
They r rare!

glaziers fan
27-03-2002, 03:34 AM

Have to disagree with the word 'class' here. There have been very few class sweepers in the football world. It is a very specialised position and one of the key components is stepping forward and building attacks from the back. Anyone with a bit of pace can look good behind a pair of moderate centre backs picking up a loose ball ( even Edworthy managed it for a season) it is what they do with it once they have possession that really differentiates them from the rest.

Too often Mullins is caught in possession or needlessly gives the ball away. His passing has not progressed in his 4 years in the first team and he rarerly if ever contributes the killer pass to a forward.

He is undoubtedly talented but i fear will never reach his true potential (with Palace or anyone else) because he just doesn't have the drive/desire. Compare him to Southgate who is a less talented player but has bags of passion and commitment which has got him a long way.

Ur wrong! Mullins is class as a sweeper. its in midfield where he gives it away and where his lack of creativity is apparent cos he has less time. he can make a killer pass better from his own penalty box (freedmans goal v coventry) better than he can from inside the opponents half!
Thats why he must play sweeper
hes comfortable on the ball. too comfortable for a midfielder. he has pace and drives forward from sweeper better than midfield cos he doesnt get picked up. And ur point about Edworthy just proves how effective a 3-5-2 is when compared to 4-4-2!

glaziers fan
27-03-2002, 03:41 AM

He does have determination. Just casual is his nickname! He shud not need to contribute a killer pass! that is the creative midfielders job! Smth we havent seen at selhurst since curcic left! do u expect clarke to have 10 assists by the end of the season? Of course not!

He read the game so well, and he lost the ball less in all the matches he played sweeper than one match he played in midfield under francis!

Surely it odesnt take a genius to work out he is THe best defender at the club!

And Popovic is THE best centre back we have had for years. He's worth 5m easily! What a signing!