PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jordan on a free

HARRY MONK
04-07-2010, 07:51 AM
reported today that ex man city and just released by burnley left back is a target . im sure he was good as ayoungster but i think hes been slated recently !

BulletEagle
04-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Double signing wiv da nuge?

chatham_eagle
04-07-2010, 08:02 AM
http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/palace_keen_on_jordan_535024/index.shtml

EMLEY EAGLE
04-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Injury prone?

macs-tash
04-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Was a very promising youngster while at Man City. Has lost his way a little bit recently. Reminds me of the signings Steve Coppell used to target. He has something to prove and rediscover his old form.

cpfcfan1
04-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Left back just what we need tbh, if signed we will have so many defence options!

Friskey
04-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Left back just what we need tbh, if signed we will have so many defence options!

Hardly!

We have Paddy, Wright, Clyne, Hills and Davis. Hardly a lot of options, if we sign this lad and the one from Southend we'll still need one more body at least.

pauldrulez
04-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Hardly!

We have Paddy, Wright, Clyne, Hills and Davis. Hardly a lot of options, if we sign this lad and the one from Southend we'll still need one more body at least.
I'd use one of the academy as the 8th option. A short term loan would help while Hills is out

james powell
04-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Is this another Monk Exclusive?

SEEPEEEFFSEE
04-07-2010, 10:28 AM
If there's any truth in this then I'd find it strange that 2010 would give their blessing to any player who's clearly prone to injuries and will cost the club money. Regardless of his pedigree and previous experience, if he's going to come in and go on the wage bill then ends up being a sick note, its a waste of money. Plain and simple!

prizesucker
04-07-2010, 10:33 AM
I hope this isn't true. He is awful

cockles
04-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Lazy journos will link Palace with every free/cheap xfer going....

beef
04-07-2010, 10:58 AM
The headline 'Palace keen on Jordan' sent a shiver down my spine!

PJJY
04-07-2010, 10:58 AM
I hope this isn't true. He is awful

This.

brooklynlou
04-07-2010, 11:47 AM
The headline 'Palace keen on Jordan' sent a shiver down my spine!

Agreed - for a sec I thought it said "Simon Jordan on a Free"

jhc
05-07-2010, 08:13 AM
I heard about this yesterday too, but he's had three very injury prone seasons at Burnley and that's why they released him.
He looked promising at Man City in his younger days, but this would be a very risky signing.
I think they let him go in the middle of May and no one seems to have signed him yet!

Neillo's Son
05-07-2010, 08:16 AM
I hope this is rubbish, I'm sure he's not a bad defender but there's no point wasting wages on a left back who's only fit for 20 games a season.

We did remarkably well out of Clint Hill considering his previous injuries, we're not likely to get away with that again though.

tbooker
05-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Craig Harrison MK2?

Absolution
05-07-2010, 08:19 AM
6 month deal? Worst way if he doesn't work out, Lee Hills should be back?

adrenalin john
05-07-2010, 08:27 AM
perhaps we could give him a very low basic wage and high appearance fees?

Once looked a highly promising player

Baldy
05-07-2010, 08:31 AM
reported today that ex man city and just released by burnley left back is a target . im sure he was good as ayoungster but i think hes been slated recently !

Do you have any inside information on this ?

adrenalin john
05-07-2010, 08:39 AM

So's my bathroom, doesn't mean it will sign for Palace.

sydnsteve
05-07-2010, 08:44 AM
perhaps we could give him a very low basic wage and high appearance fees?

Once looked a highly promising player

This.

Might well be worth a go on this basis, if no-one else want him he could go for it.

sydnsteve
05-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Do you have any inside information on this ?

Please don't make me laugh uncontrollably at this time in the morning!

Kirby
05-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Burnley fan on footballforums website wants to keep him and rates him as better than Danny Fox.

I like the fact we're targeting decent players on free transfers. It's almost like we're being sensible and shrewd! :eek:

Dartford Lad
05-07-2010, 02:33 PM
He's better than Clint Hill in my opinion. Not the quickest but very tenacious, pretty good in the air and can get forward.

I'd be happy with this.

Owngoal
05-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Don't want to sign injury prone players, knowing our luck

Nelson Muntz
05-07-2010, 10:09 PM
I like him.

st albans
05-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Been slated every weekend on MOTD this season. Not interested

Jim Cannon
05-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Lazy journos will link Palace with every free/cheap xfer going....
well tbf most of our alleged transfer targets are either free or cheap:D

doodledandy
06-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Here's an opportunity to possibly sign a premiership quality left back and all I see on here is pessimism. CPFC isn't exactly flushed with money at the moment and GB is doing a great job in filling the back room jobs and finding the best players available to plug a whole bucketful of gaps in the squad for free!

Sure, Stephen Jordan has had a few injuries and so have many other players; it's a pitiful of the job, but with good physio and training, I don't see the past affecting his future and before anyone signs for palace, they will have to have a medical and pass it, or the deal is off.

Personally, I see this as a very good possible signing.

bigend1
06-07-2010, 06:25 AM

tinted specs but perhaps thats because he has been playing in a team thats in the right league to get on motd every week?

RDSdaEAGLE
06-07-2010, 06:29 AM

We're playing in the Championship.

ricks-big-honda
06-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Wikipedia says he has had three injury filled seasons at Burnley

putting in 24 , 34 and 25 appearances per season lol

that doesnt seem inury filled !!!

AlgotTheEagle
06-07-2010, 07:46 AM
http://www.tribalfootball.com/crystal-palace-beat-blackpool-burnley-fullback-jordan-953841

Crystal Palace are moving for Burnley defender Stephen Jordan.

The former Manchester City fullback has been linked with Blackpool since being released by the Clarets.

However, the Lancashire Telegraph says Palace boss George Burley is close to a deal for Jordan.

It`s Tribalfootball.....:hmph:

The Gerry Queen
06-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Wikipedia says he has had three injury filled seasons at Burnley

putting in 24 , 34 and 25 appearances per season lol

that doesnt seem inury filled !!!

Seems like a decent number of appearences to me. The last 59 ( out of a potential 84) were as part of an exciting, low budget promotion winning team and then as part of a Prem team that were in contention for survival up to the time of his injury and who played very well at home in the first half of the season, gaining a few high profile scalps in the process including Man U. He offers a lot more than Clint Hill has going forward and can defend well. Sign him up !

Nigelbrag
06-07-2010, 08:21 AM
You are spot on, doodledandy. Good to see some one taking a realistic view of our situation.

pardew's shorts
06-07-2010, 08:40 AM
We were told Clint Hill was injury prone before he joined us...

Is Jordan a better left-back than Hill? Yes, much. He's probably on a level or cheaper in terms of wages, he's quicker, and much better going forward, with a decent cross.

Besides, all being well, come December time Lee Hills will hopefully return and star in a team that will likely play to his strengths.

Palace Eagle
06-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Oh dear oh dear.

Voldo
06-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Clint Hill was "Injury Prone" and i would say 99% of us are glad we signed him...

rhynoeagle
06-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Tribal Football have actually got something right !!!

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=23884&headline=Palace

elgin eagle
06-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Trying to find out what he was mainly out injured with. If it was his knees, maybe they could set up a pay as you play sort of contract, but anything else he would probably be worth a gamble on, if his wage demands aren't excessive.

rhynoeagle
06-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Never scored a career goal :D Even Lawrence got 6 !! But then agaon lawrence has player for 8 years longer.

I think this may be a good signing. As someone has already well said Clint Hill was labelled "Injury Prone", he looked ok.

In Burley we trust :D

elgin eagle
06-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Seems one of them was his ankle, but their fans are divided as to whether it was a good decision to release him or not. SJ back at Palace? :)

Away
06-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Here's an opportunity to possibly sign a premiership quality left back and all I see on here is pessimism. CPFC isn't exactly flushed with money at the moment and GB is doing a great job in filling the back room jobs and finding the best players available to plug a whole bucketful of gaps in the squad for free!

Sure, Stephen Jordan has had a few injuries and so have many other players; it's a pitiful of the job, but with good physio and training, I don't see the past affecting his future and before anyone signs for palace, they will have to have a medical and pass it, or the deal is off.

Personally, I see this as a very good possible signing.

Yes.

Surely someone who's been turning out fairly regularly in the Premiership for the last 6 years is going to be of some value to us. None of our back line last season had that kind of experience. Also he and Paddy were together at Man City for a few years (though Paddy wasn't getting into the first team). Would love to know what he thought of him.

Jasper
06-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Can't we just sign Ashley Cole or Phillip Lahm? Let's blow our budget on overpriced and overpaid players, this free transfer lark will never work.

Burley out.

Aaroncpfc
06-07-2010, 10:04 AM
He's still young so good potential sell on value I imagine and for his age he's already quite experienced. I'd be quite happy with this.

rhynoeagle
06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Youngest player we've been linked with yet. I still think this will be a decent signing if he comes. How strange will it be with our new Defence, Pre-Season is key to look at who works best with eachother.

My Guess will be Jordan, Paddy Mac, Wright, Clyne ?

Mad Raschic Ken
06-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Can't we just sign Ashley Cole or Phillip Lahm? Let's blow our budget on overpriced and overpaid players, this free transfer lark will never work.

Burley out.

Don't be silly. They are out of our price range. We should sign Wayne Bridge.

sydnsteve
06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I hope this deal comes off. Sounds worth a gamble.

andy m
06-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Don't be silly. They are out of our price range. We should sign Wayne Bridge.

He might come now Derry's gone.

cpfcben
06-07-2010, 08:43 PM
A very poor player. I would have preferred James McEveley who has just signed for Barnsley. People need to realise this season is going to be a real hard slog.

jams1234
06-07-2010, 08:51 PM
I like him.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
06-07-2010, 08:55 PM
A very poor player. I would have preferred James McEveley who has just signed for Barnsley. People need to realise this season is going to be a real hard slog.

Yeah and i would prefer Lionel Messi, Wesley Sneijder or David Villa! Burley out!

RDSdaEAGLE
06-07-2010, 08:59 PM

Feel free to list the credentials you possess which make you a better judge of a player than George Burley?

SJ'sLoveMonkey
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Feel free to list the credentials you possess which make you a better judge of a player than George Burley?

:p

pauldrulez
06-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Blimey, Harry Monk got something right as well

:eek:

CPFC_DAVE77
06-07-2010, 09:12 PM

?:confused:

cpfcben
06-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah and i would prefer Lionel Messi, Wesley Sneijder or David Villa! Burley out!

It is hardly the same. Both are experienced left backs at Championship level and both were/are available on frees.

KungFuCharlie
06-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Not to pee on Harry's chips - but this was reported in the press first. Harry merely highlighted that it has been reported, but neglected to provide a link. Thus some thought that it was 'his rumour'. In fact, he just saw it first.

Still, fair play.

cpfcben
06-07-2010, 09:39 PM

It is purely my own opinion. I hope I am wrong. :(

Ian Hart
06-07-2010, 09:48 PM
How strange will it be with our new Defence, Pre-Season is key to look at who works best with eachother.

My Guess will be Jordan, Paddy Mac, Wright, Clyne ?

Are we actually allowed to play them yet? I know we can sign them, but we can't register them until the (hopefully) formalities with the FL are finalised, which are still a few weeks away. Does anyone know whether we can play unregistered players in pre season friendlies? We have played trialists in the past, so the answer might well be yes.

PalaceSince2004
06-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Just remember that players who have not performed well at their previous clubs and join Palace become very good players. Just look at Darren Ambrose and Andrew Johnson

CPFC_DAVE77
06-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Just remember that players who have not performed well at their previous clubs and join Palace become very good players. Just look at Darren Ambrose and Andrew Johnson

Danns to a degree following Brum too.

MFC
06-07-2010, 10:15 PM
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Crystal-Palace-transfer-news-Stephen-Jordan-s-Eagle-s-move-on-hold-after-freak-road-accident-article517891.html

freak-road-accident

Aaroncpfc
06-07-2010, 10:19 PM
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Crystal-Palace-transfer-news-Stephen-Jordan-s-Eagle-s-move-on-hold-after-freak-road-accident-article517891.html

freak-road-accident

You know what. **** our luck sometimes.

CPFC_DAVE77
06-07-2010, 10:20 PM
You know what. **** our luck sometimes.

Aaron, I think Stephen Jordan is the unlucky one out of all this! :p

David Amsalem
06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Lol, you couldn't make it up.

I trust GB but I've never been impressed when I've seen Jordan play. A bit of a liability.

However, I'm sure I'm wrong and will support him from Day 1 if he joins. He was part of a team that won promotion so I'm sure that I'm way off the radar.

Seaside Eagle
06-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Are we actually allowed to play them yet? I know we can sign them, but we can't register them until the (hopefully) formalities with the FL are finalised, which are still a few weeks away. Does anyone know whether we can play unregistered players in pre season friendlies? We have played trialists in the past, so the answer might well be yes.

We can, yes, play unregistered players in non-competitive games (this includes our pre-season fixtures). However, until the legal formalities are dealt with, we can't use them in an Npower Championship match.

Although, the legal sh*t should all be cleared up before the start of the season, so effectively it will make absolutely no difference. :p

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
06-07-2010, 11:05 PM

freak-road-accident

Blimey -

In a way we might be lucky here, sounds like it could have been a lot worse.
Get well soon, and and then move your ass and sign for us straight after that.

SpikeyMatt
06-07-2010, 11:08 PM

freak-road-accident

Crikey. Hope he gets fit soon. Solid and unspectacular will do me fine at left back, Jordan will offer that (well, when he removes the bits of lorry bumper from his backside).

unsensibleLiam
06-07-2010, 11:24 PM
crazy. Hope he is ok

Jim Cannon
06-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Poor fella, get well soon.

Dannyzz
07-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Hope his okay and this doesn't affect the transfer.

brooklynlou
07-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Wow that sucks. Get well soon my man.

Oh south london
07-07-2010, 03:33 AM
Hope he is ok. Think this would be a good signing so I hope the move still goes ahead when everything is sorted.

doodledandy
07-07-2010, 04:20 AM
Look at it this way; he's stitches are an every day thing for sportsmen and now he's had the xrays the rest of his medical should be a breeze! Can't wait for him to sign on. :)

Shillidincha
07-07-2010, 08:31 AM
You guys weren't lieing about Jordan being injury prone.....

"Stephen Jordan's move to Crystal Palace is on hold - after he was hit by a lorry while on a training run."

The Gerry Queen
07-07-2010, 08:34 AM
That sums up the answer to whether he is injury prone !

Good preparation for training with Claude though :)

Beanie
07-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Odd report - gets away with stitches in his ear and jaw (which sounds pretty lucky), is badly shaken (very understandable after having a lorry hit you!!) - but two weeks before he can do his medical. Wouldn't wish any harm on him, but there must be more to it than that.

rhynoeagle
07-07-2010, 09:23 AM
We dont need him, if that was claude the Headline would of been:

Lorry can "Never be driven again" After a Freak collision with Crystal Palace's Claude Davis.

:D

Get well soon Stephen, good to see another player wanting to join the Eagles and hope you can cross the line soon.

Ian Hart
07-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Odd report - gets away with stitches in his ear and jaw (which sounds pretty lucky), is badly shaken (very understandable after having a lorry hit you!!) - but two weeks before he can do his medical. Wouldn't wish any harm on him, but there must be more to it than that.

The father of one of my friends was actually killed a few years ago by the wing mirror of a passing lorry. Believe me the weight of such an object hitting you at 40mph or whatever, is considerable.

Voldo
07-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Surely we can make a cheeky little song about this incident for Jordan if/when he signs...

....To early?

pauldrulez
07-07-2010, 09:52 AM
To the Speroni song.

Steve Jordan WOOAAHH
Steve Jordan WOOAAHH
He got hit by a big lorry.
The driver said he was sorry.

rhynoeagle
07-07-2010, 09:59 AM
To the Speroni song.

Steve Jordan WOOAAHH
Steve Jordan WOOAAHH
He got hit by a big lorry.
The driver said he was sorry.

I'll quit football if that makes it..

:o

nathe
07-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Memory, Memory
He's the famous Stephen Jordan and he's lost his memory

Beanie
07-07-2010, 10:50 AM
The father of one of my friends was actually killed a few years ago by the wing mirror of a passing lorry. Believe me the weight of such an object hitting you at 40mph or whatever, is considerable.
That was really my point - Wasn't belittling the incident, can't see he'd get away as little as that report suggests. A few stitches and "badly shaken" can't be all.

nathe
07-07-2010, 10:56 AM
To the AJ song -

Stephen Jordan’s Magic
But he should wear a safety hat
Cos when he went out jogging a lorry knocked him out
It hit him with the left mirror
Or it may have been the right
And poor old Stephen Jordan was in casualty for the night

Voldo
07-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Memory, Memory
He's the famous Stephen Jordan and he's lost his memory

I applaud you nathe.

Have some rep. this song is a must.

[EDIT] Must spread...yadayada

SJ'sLoveMonkey
07-07-2010, 10:58 AM
I hope he signs it will save me the hassle of changing my username!!!

Voldo
07-07-2010, 11:00 AM
To the AJ song -

Stephen Jordanís Magic
But he should wear a safety hat
Cos when he went out jogging a lorry knocked him FLAT
It hit him with the left WING
Or it may have been the right
And poor old Stephen Jordan was in casualty for the night

EFRhyme

beef
07-07-2010, 11:01 AM
All the best to him in his recovery

nathe
07-07-2010, 11:01 AM
EFRhyme

Thank you.

That's much better.

nathe
07-07-2010, 11:02 AM

We've still got Stern John ;) :o

nathe

nathe

gamesmeister
07-07-2010, 11:50 AM
We dont need him, if that was claude the Headline would of been:

Lorry can "Never be driven again" After a Freak collision with Crystal Palace's Claude Davis.

I laughed! :D

webbo1990
07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Terrible accident, I hope the guy has no long-term damage - whether he signs for us or not.

I saw a bus pull into the stop once and its wing mirror hit a guy. He then got on the bus and had the bus driver up!

GreatGonzo
07-07-2010, 03:05 PM
That sums up the answer to whether he is injury prone !

Good preparation for training with Claude though :)

He was getting ready for Claude - the lorry was stationery and Jordan butted it! :eek:

The Omen
07-07-2010, 03:50 PM
I saw the replay. He clearly dived - the lorry hardly touched him.

Don't want players like that at Palace.

Kipungu
07-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I read a reference for this on another thread and thought it was a joke!

Hope he is ok. It is weird though isnt it, would only happen to us.

brooklynlou
07-07-2010, 04:12 PM
I read a reference for this on another thread and thought it was a joke!

Hope he is ok. It is weird though isnt it, would only happen to us.

Actually, nothing happened to us. it all happened to him.

pedro
07-07-2010, 04:18 PM
S Jordan's at Palace are just like buses as soon as one is gone another one comes along.

pedro
07-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Injury prone?
you ain't kidding. :D

Kipungu
07-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Actually, nothing happened to us. it all happened to him.

Sounds like hes really committed already, no contract or anything signed, and taking hits for the team.

pedro
07-07-2010, 04:58 PM
To be fair he cannot be that good if someone is able to drive a bus through the defence that easily without him even making a decent challenge.

CP Satellite
07-07-2010, 05:09 PM
We should have no truck with him.

R&B Glazier
07-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Magic sponge - He'll be alright

Neillo's Son
07-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I heard he's gonna sue the driver, he's already called injury lorries 4 u.

silver
07-07-2010, 07:15 PM
you guys are so quick and funny, nice one

LuckyJ
07-07-2010, 08:38 PM
NO1 else wanted him and references from stuart pearce saying he was a promising youngster don't seem so credible. but we'll see.....backup player anyway isnt he so hope we're not paying him too much.

maxpower
07-07-2010, 08:46 PM
WTF he is wanted in to play left back, give the guy a chance if he signs FFS

cpfcfan124
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Hes class!, i swear hes been playing against us before, i just remember him being very good :)

Jimmy Eagle
07-07-2010, 09:50 PM

More chance of Osama Bin Laden being unveiled as Burley's 4th signing than the mods letting you change your username!

james powell
07-07-2010, 11:25 PM
EDIT: I'm a pillock.

TOOPM
08-07-2010, 08:06 PM
To be fair he cannot be that good if someone is able to drive a bus through the defence that easily without him even making a decent challenge.

Hey! give the boy some credit, not many defenders would try to stop one of those with his face!

Stellavista
08-07-2010, 09:21 PM
I've heard about players 'running through brick walls' for their manager, but this is way beyond the call of duty.
When the time comes to finally demolish the main stand, I vote we just employ Jordan's head for the job.

brooklynlou
08-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Stupid question. And I ask it simply because I'm a paranoid New Yorker. Did anyone get the plate number of the truck? Did the truck stop and help him?

Or did someone who didnt like him give him a slap with a door and then drive off.

hughff
08-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Reminds me if Matt Clarke, who was so terribly injury prone he was once out for about six weeks because he cut his thumb doing the veges for dinner. Therefore, casts doubt on his suitablitiy for me, believe it or don't.

ChristalPalace
08-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Hes class!, i swear hes been playing against us before, i just remember him being very good :)

Just done a bit of research:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7008061.stm

The 1-1 draw at Turf Moor, shortly before Taylor got the sack, was the only time Jordan has ever played against Palace.

james powell
09-07-2010, 01:18 AM

The 1-1 draw at Turf Moor, shortly before Taylor got the sack, was the only time Jordan has ever played against Palace.
Look at that team. Only Jules still plays for us.

gold76
09-07-2010, 06:38 AM
15 players gone out of 16 in under 3 years, that's quite a turnaround.

Maidstoned Eagle
09-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Look at that team. Only Jules still plays for us.
And of them is no longer alive.:(

AlgotTheEagle
09-07-2010, 07:27 AM
And of them is no longer alive.:(

And of them is coming home :) :confused:
That makes it two :p

rhynoeagle
09-07-2010, 08:54 AM

Idrazaj :sob: :(

Sir.S.C Remembered
09-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Jordan would be a direct replacement for C Hill in the sense he is one of the few players who makes as dangerous tackles as him! I'd be happy enough for him to sign.

EagleSE24
12-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Has anyone seen him down at the training ground recently?

brooklynlou
12-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Has anyone seen him down at the training ground recently?

Should be easy to spot. He's the one with the big bandage around his head ...:rolleyes:

ed_glenn
13-07-2010, 06:10 AM
Just seen on ssn that trialists Stephen Jordan and Jamie ashdown have gone on tour with Pompey. Is it the same sj?

DaveP
13-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Just seen on ssn that trialists Stephen Jordan and Jamie ashdown have gone on tour with Pompey. Is it the same sj?

Isn't Jamie Ashdown already one of their players anyway?

Jon_C-Pal
13-07-2010, 06:30 AM
jamie ashdown already plays for portsmouth doesnt he? Cant think of any other stephen jordans.

ed_glenn
13-07-2010, 06:32 AM
jamie ashdown already plays for portsmouth doesnt he? Cant think of any other stephen jordans.
That's what I thought. Although if his contract expired then technically I suppose he would be a trialists again?!

Shame as SJ would have been decent!

chatham_eagle
13-07-2010, 06:42 AM
http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Blues-Touch-Down-In-Chicago-1116.aspx

Seems odd if he couldn't join up with us due to his injuries.

cpfcfan1
13-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Nugents in that pic :O! does this mean he is not joining up with us? :(

ed_glenn
13-07-2010, 07:04 AM
The pic wasntaken in sainsburys car park ;)

Kipungu
13-07-2010, 07:11 AM
So did he walk in front of a truck to get out of signing for us and going on trial with pompey instead?

Or does he just fancy the holiday, will come back and sign for us?

The Bishop
13-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Stephen Jordan was Cotterill's first signing when he was manager of Burnley. Would not be suprised if he signed him.

Still plenty of other decent left backs out there for us to sign. Jon Harley, for example.

Will S
13-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Still plenty of other decent left backs out there for us to sign. Jon Harley, for example.

On his way to Notts County according to the morning papers.

RDSdaEAGLE
13-07-2010, 07:23 AM
On his way to Notts County according to the morning papers.

...and far from decent, too.

Ian Hart
13-07-2010, 08:53 AM

Not sure that's a good example. My Watford friends were constantly telling me what a liability he was last season, and in fact was regularly left out of the team.

The Bishop
13-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Exclusive: Palace set to miss out on Stephen Jordan

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=24798&headline=Exclusive%3A

ChristalPalace
13-07-2010, 09:02 AM
If he wants too much, then he can get stuffed. I feel he is too injury prone anyway.

kolinkins
13-07-2010, 09:12 AM
If he doesn't want to play for us, we can move on. It's the way forward.

The Bishop
13-07-2010, 09:19 AM
There are several clubs who are having to refuse signing players due to high wage demands. Sunderland and Celtic being two.

Dannyzz
13-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Not an overly good player to be demanding much, which worries me!
How much is he asking for, or how much can we not afford?

Excowboy
13-07-2010, 09:24 AM
We should have no truck with players demanding unrealistic wages.

Chris K
13-07-2010, 09:26 AM
oh well, **** him

Biggineagle
13-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Well Done CPFC2010, Stick to your limits. Greedy players can just feck off

Voldo
13-07-2010, 09:36 AM
It's that bang to the head....

TC EAGLE
13-07-2010, 09:45 AM
as if Pompey are gonna pay him a lot with there money problems yeah right jordan bye bye

kolinkins
13-07-2010, 09:47 AM
By the by - how comes we have to wait until we are out of admin to sign players, yet Pompey who are nowhere near getting bought and out of admin can sign players? Makes no sense.

The Bishop
13-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Think he is only having a trial with them (Portsmouth). Can't actually sign just yet.

They're welcome to him, though.

kolinkins
13-07-2010, 09:50 AM
But what is the point in them trialling players? They do not have a buyer, so how can they sign someone between now and being bought?

TC EAGLE
By the by - how comes we have to wait until we are out of admin to sign players, yet Pompey who are nowhere near getting bought and out of admin can sign players? Makes no sense.

Were not out of Admin yet, what players we have signed are pre contract agreements the deals/players will be registered with the football league once the 28 day appeal process to the CVA has expired, plus they were freebies. I think it's the same with pompey any players can be signed BUT cannot be registered until any takeover has been completed. Plus their embargo has been lifted cos monies owed to other clubs have been paid thru recent transfer monies

rhynoeagle
What a d*ck, I still wouldn't of mind him but still

Surely we should of guessed that last night when GB announced about the 2 european fullbacks on trial ?.

kolinkins
13-07-2010, 09:51 AM
What players we have signed are pre contract agreements the deals/players will be registered with the football league once the 28 day appeal process to the CVA has expired, plus they were freebies. I think it's the same with pompey any players can be signed BUT cannot be registered until any takeover has been completed.

I understand that - the point is that their takeover could take another year to get done - so why would a player commit to that? And why are they allowed to commit to players when their own future is uncertain?

The Bishop
13-07-2010, 09:54 AM
I understand that - the point is that their takeover could take another year to get done - so why would a player commit to that? And why are they allowed to commit to players when their own future is uncertain?

This may explain why:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11674_6253438,00.html

TC EAGLE
13-07-2010, 09:56 AM
pompey's embargo has been lifted cos monies owed to other clubs have been paid thru recent transfer monies

webbo1990
13-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Were not out of Admin yet, what players we have signed are pre contract agreements the deals/players will be registered with the football league once the 28 day appeal process to the CVA has expired, plus they were freebies. I think it's the same with pompey any players can be signed BUT cannot be registered until any takeover has been completed. Plus their embargo has been lifted cos monies owed to other clubs have been paid thru recent transfer monies
Sorry, slightly off topic but when do those 28 days expire? I've been trying to find a date on other threads, but seem to be blind this morning. It's some date in mid-July isn't it, i.e. anyday now?

kolinkins
13-07-2010, 09:58 AM
This may explain why:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11674_6253438,00.html

Cheers, interesting.

Makes me wonder why ours took so long - but then I think ours has been worth it - as we have a visible clean break. Think Pompey will still have a lot of grey areas.

TC EAGLE
13-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Sorry, slightly off topic but when do those 28 days expire? I've been trying to find a date on other threads, but seem to be blind this morning. It's some date in mid-July isn't it, i.e. anyday now?

I think it's the 27th or 28th of this month (July) SW16 Girl could give you a more accurate date if needed. 28 days from the date the CVA was voted on.

CPFC_DAVE77
13-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Would have been happy with him if he showed a willing/right wage demands, if not then next please.

GreatGonzo
13-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Has anyone from Palace been in touch with him in the last few days?

Afterall, he has had a bang to the head he may have forgotten that he had already agreed to sigbn for us on £500 per week and a packet of smarties twice a week. (The small box type you used to get at parties of course)

If not, send another truck round.

Chillo
13-07-2010, 10:04 AM
It's that bang to the head....

Someone told him he was Roberto Carlos :D

bigend1
13-07-2010, 10:07 AM
thought he was on the way for a medical? i always assumed that was the last step? seems strange that you would get all the way to the medical without mentioning terms.. perhaps upped his demands i guess? hmmm..

good news though, for me it shows we will not go silly with anyone. a decent signing i think, but no tears if not.

The Bishop
13-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Would have been happy with him if he showed a willing/right wage demands, if not then next please.

My thoughts also :p

sydnsteve
13-07-2010, 11:02 AM
If he wants too much so be it. I am not quite sure how Pompey are able to pay him though

Gooders
13-07-2010, 11:05 AM
If he wants too much so be it. I am not quite sure how Pompey are able to pay him though

They and Hull haven't learned their lessons, presumably.

Spending their parachute money like it is going out of fashion.

KungFuCharlie
13-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Not too fussed. No wonder we're giving another couple of fullbacks a run out tonight.

Penstone Eagle
13-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Who is funding Pompey's trip to N America, thought they were skint

Dartford Lad
13-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Who is funding Pompey's trip to N America, thought they were skint

That crossed my mind as well!

Plus the fact they are slashing out for trialists and injured out of contract players such as Hermann Hreidarsson to go over there.

Psychokiller
13-07-2010, 02:37 PM
They and Hull haven't learned their lessons, presumably.

Spending their parachute money like it is going out of fashion.
I thought all of Pompey's parachute money had been already diverted to their creditors?

Celestial Empire
13-07-2010, 04:39 PM

It's a joke isn't it ? That club just defies gravity. :hmph:

adrenalin john
13-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Excellent news, I like the fact that we have a budget and are sticking to it.

Sends out the right message - see QPR for the reverse.

Much prefer to have a squad of 20 all hungry to improve and get promoted/transfered than a squad of 40 all bloated on fat contracts knowing they will never ever get a better pay day.

cpalacefan88
13-07-2010, 04:52 PM
skysports news says hes on trial with portsmouth :P

chatham_eagle
13-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Perhaps he just fancied an all-expenses paid trip to the US and will sign with us on his return...

adrenalin john
13-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Sky speaks, Ports mouth, Jordan Crossed, burlesque

adrenalin john
13-07-2010, 05:01 PM
skysports news says hes on trial with portsmouth :P

Conspiracy charges?

Hope they all get sent down

cpalacefan88
13-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Conspiracy charges?

Hope they all get sent down
they also said Jamie Ashdown was on trial for portsmouth as well which is pretty sad for someone they just released

Gooders
13-07-2010, 05:13 PM
I thought all of Pompey's parachute money had been already diverted to their creditors?

I thought so too. Can't understand how Portsmouth or Hull are signing anyone but let's face it, football just makes up the rules as it goes along these days.

CPFC_DAVE77
13-07-2010, 05:41 PM
I thought so too. Can't understand how Portsmouth or Hull are signing anyone but let's face it, football just makes up the rules as it goes along these days.

I can't understand how Portsmouth are going on a pre-season tour of America. Those that were made redundant would probably like a holiday.

jams1234
13-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Who is actually taking over Portsmouth, paying the money for the CVA? Who will be the new owners?

brooklynlou
13-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Not bothered by this.

I still think him getting hit by a truck sounds fishy. Its like some battered wife claiming she fell down the stairs ...

CPFC_DAVE77
13-07-2010, 06:47 PM
http://www.classicsigns.com/images/CapeFishTruck.jpg

Kipungu
13-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Not bothered by this.

I still think him getting hit by a truck sounds fishy. Its like some battered wife claiming she fell down the stairs ...

Hmm, so the getting hit with a truck may just be a macho cover up. I reckon she used one of his boots.

brooklynlou
13-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Hmm, so the getting hit with a truck may just be a macho cover up. I reckon she used one of his boots.

And Tiger Woods claimed it was a fire hydrant rather than a golf club wielding wife.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
13-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Has anyone from Palace been in touch with him in the last few days?

Afterall, he has had a bang to the head he may have forgotten that he had already agreed to sigbn for us on £500 per week and a packet of smarties twice a week. (The small box type you used to get at parties of course)

If not, send another truck round.

I didn't think Palace players were paid in 'smarties' since the days od Andy Gray. Maybe.

jams1234
14-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Apparently Portsmouth's transfer embargo will be existent until October. Does this mean that they will be unable to sign Jordan?

hamge
14-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Apparently Portsmouth's transfer embargo will be existent until October. Does this mean that they will be unable to sign Jordan?

Yes.

The Gerry Queen
14-07-2010, 05:56 PM

Maybe his concussion might wear of by then :D

Can't believe the cynisism of Pompey. As for Stephen Jordan. Could be too late to come to us if our trialists come good. Silly boy.

The Bishop
15-07-2010, 08:54 AM
It's a positive thing that we are on a tight budget. According to several Ipswich fans I know GB was a nightmare when it came to having too much money to spend in the transfer market. Said he was at his best when having to wheel and deal.

Absolution
15-07-2010, 09:02 AM
It's a positive thing that we are on a tight budget. According to several Ipswich fans I know GB was a nightmare when it came to having too much money to spend in the transfer market. Said he was at his best when having to wheel and deal.I think he was in a similar position at Derby. When he had no cash to spend, he got a good number of a free transfers in and built a team.

Will S
15-07-2010, 09:14 AM
It's a positive thing that we are on a tight budget. According to several Ipswich fans I know GB was a nightmare when it came to having too much money to spend in the transfer market.

Ah, Finidi George...

Ian Hart
15-07-2010, 09:16 AM
It's a positive thing that we are on a tight budget. According to several Ipswich fans I know GB was a nightmare when it came to having too much money to spend in the transfer market. Said he was at his best when having to wheel and deal.

Ipswich friends of mine have made an identical comment.

It's funny how many managers this does apply to. Even Steve Coppell was at his most successful when funds were limited. In the two periods when rather larger amounts were made available to him, he didn't use them particularly wisely.

rhynoeagle
15-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Also if the Taxmen rejects they lose points.

GreatGonzo
15-07-2010, 09:22 AM
I didn't think Palace players were paid in 'smarties' since the days od Andy Gray. Maybe.

Or the good old days of Curcic when prostitutes was an acceptable payment method.

The Gerry Queen
15-07-2010, 09:26 AM

It's funny how many managers this does apply to. Even Steve Coppell was at his most successful when funds were limited. In the two periods when rather larger amounts were made available to him, he didn't use them particularly wisely.

Imagine where Palace would have been if Dowie, Taylor and even Warnock hadn't wasted big money when they had it ? ( although Warnock, to be fair, did very well when on a tight budget ) Steve Parish was so right when he pointed out Wenger's scouting policy to make sure signings were right. This sounds like we now have ownership with serious business experience and acumen outside of the beautiful game and who aren't afraid to apply it where it's needed. We have thankfully come a long way since the days of Bob Dowie and signings like Kuqi and John Macken.

Panther
15-07-2010, 09:42 AM

Beat me to it. Much the same applied to Bert Head also.

kolinkins
15-07-2010, 09:46 AM

Not in the same league as Coppell - but Dowie and Warnock too did better with no money (though Lee proved valuable to us. Carle was the real waste).

ChristalPalace
15-07-2010, 09:52 AM

I've seen Southampton fans saying it too. They had to pay Burley's expensive signings millions to sod off in the end, so that the Dutch bloke who eventually succeeded him (after Nigel Pearson's spell as caretaker outside of the transfer window) could actually put a squad together.

Celestial Empire
15-07-2010, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=The Gerry Queen]
Steve Parish was so right when he pointed out Wenger's scouting policy to make sure signings were right. [QUOTE]

Wenger can afford to be super-picky, every young French player and very many Africans would do anything to play for Wenger and the Arse.
We, on the other hand (Ahem !) are not regarded so favourably.

This Jordan story reminds me of Cisse (hijacked by Redknapp), remind me what a roaring success he was at Pompey.
If players bugger the club about, it's a blessing in disguise. It has cost us nothing to find out what an unreliable, toe-rag he is (confirming reports).

Ian Hart
15-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Beat me to it. Much the same applied to Bert Head also.

And Venables (a few years) after him. Whatever we think of him now, there's no doubting he did amazingly well in his first three seasons with just a few bargain purchases such as Bourne, Burridge and Elwiss. Once he got us into division 1, and he was given serious money to spend, he blew it on the likes of Francis, Flanagan, Barron and Allen - although the latter did go on to be successful elsewhere.

Niel Smillie
15-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Reading the story on BBC today they can still sign Jordan as they only have 18 players. Even though they have an embargo they allowed to sign players until they have reached 20.
It also states that they will not be deducted further points as they have already been deducted 9 points.
One rule for the Prem again I am afraid.

BulletEagle
15-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Reading the story on BBC today they can still sign Jordan as they only have 18 players. Even though they have an embargo they allowed to sign players until they have reached 20.
It also states that they will not be deducted further points as they have already been deducted 9 points.
Points rule is per season.

917L
15-07-2010, 07:00 PM

BBC making a comment for no reason

"BBC Sport understands the club could start the Championship season without any further points penalties, having been deducted nine points by the Premier League last campaign"

Of course they wont suffer a further points reduction, unless the HMRC overturn their CVA and they end up exiting without an agreed one

Then they will suffer a minimum 15? point deduction (though that wont be until sometime during the season)

917L
15-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Points rule is per season.

No it isnt

100% Palace
15-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Burley should tell him to bugger off if he comes back now. Doesn't fit in as "wanting to play for the club" in my opinion - only after money - which he now cant get from Portsmouth (though why he thought he could is beyond me).

The Gerry Queen
15-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Pompey have 18 players currently in their first team squad and are allowed to sign players to bring them up to the FL recognised minimum for a squad to compete in the league. So it is up to them whether they want to have Jordan as one of those two or in place of Utaka or Diop or any other who want to go.
Any player contemplating a move to Pompey though seriously needs their head testing. Looks like they will lose their CVA and drop 17 points at the end of October and their new potential owners may not want to hang around either. Jordan really has been quite silly here as we will most likely fill the LB position by next week. That's what you get for getting greedy in the Premiership though.

wandering star
15-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Pompey have 18 players currently in their first team squad and are allowed to sign players to bring them up to the FL recognised minimum for a squad to compete in the league. So it is up to them whether they want to have Jordan as one of those two or in place of Utaka or Diop or any other who want to go.
Any player contemplating a move to Pompey though seriously needs their head testing. Looks like they will lose their CVA and drop 17 points at the end of October and their new potential owners may not want to hang around either. Jordan really has been quite silly here as we will most likely fill the LB position by next week. That's what you get for getting greedy in the Premiership though.

Dont suppose anyone knows who the 18 players that are left in the Pompey squad?

ChristalPalace
16-07-2010, 11:56 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8828912.stm

Sonko signed on loan, so that's up to 19 now.

I know though that the likes of Kevin-Prince Boateng want out, so that will probably bring the number down. Papa-Bouba Diop signed for a club in the Turkish capital of Ankara this week.

GodstoneEagle
16-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Didn't he sign for AEK Athens?

ChristalPalace
16-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Didn't he sign for AEK Athens?

Yes, you're right actually.

Somebody from the World Cup (I know Diop wasn't there...) signed for Ankaragucu, can't remember who it was now...

EDIT: It was Slovakian scorer of four goals, Robert Vittek. Ignore me. :D

HARRY MONK
06-08-2010, 10:00 AM
shafted pompey off to sheff u , hope theres no lorries on route !

Baldy
06-08-2010, 10:01 AM
shafted pompey off to sheff u , hope theres no lorries on route !

Harry, Do you have any inside information as to the whereabouts of my season ticket ?

rhynoeagle
06-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Hes opted to go to Sheffield UTD. Cruel blow for Pompey. Do they have a keeper yet ?

Ian Hart
06-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Harry, Do you have any inside information as to the whereabouts of my season ticket ?

If he tells you it is about to arrive, that's when you really need to start worrying ;)

Baldy
06-08-2010, 12:25 PM
If he tells you it is about to arrive, that's when you really need to start worrying ;)

:p :lux: :D

ChristalPalace
19-11-2010, 01:45 PM
In the Championship team of the week for last Saturday (as were Clyne and Ambrose), ahead of us facing t'Blades tomorrow.

Completely irrelevant, but what the hell...

Owngoal
19-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Hope he goes out jogging again........

Absolution
19-11-2010, 02:57 PM
He will be up against the "Team of the Week" right back AND right winger. Good luck. :p

chatham_eagle
26-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Gone on month's loan to Huddersfield.

Harry Bassett
26-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally posted bt Ian Hart

"And Venables (a few years) after him. Whatever we think of him now, there's no doubting he did amazingly well in his first three seasons with just a few bargain purchases such as Bourne, Burridge and Elwiss. Once he got us into division 1, and he was given serious money to spend, he blew it on the likes of Francis, Flanagan, Barron and Allen - although the latter did go on to be successful elsewhere."

How did you resist the temptation to put Flanagan and Allen Together?

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally posted bt Ian Hart

"And Venables (a few years) after him. Whatever we think of him now, there's no doubting he did amazingly well in his first three seasons with just a few bargain purchases such as Bourne, Burridge and Elwiss. Once he got us into division 1, and he was given serious money to spend, he blew it on the likes of Francis, Flanagan, Barron and Allen - although the latter did go on to be successful elsewhere."

And Barron was originally going to be the understudy for Allan Knight, but it didn't work out for the 'Barron Knights'.

chatham_eagle
07-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Just been released from Sheffield United, along with Richard Wright and another bloke.

That move worked out well for him.

ChristalPalace
07-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Just been released from Sheffield United, along with Richard Wright and another bloke.

Moxey is better anyway.

chatham_eagle
07-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Indeed

PeterH
07-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Sheff Utd releasing players in the midst of a desparate battle for survival. I bet their finances aren't great.

Nofishtoday
07-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Sheff Utd releasing players in the midst of a desparate battle for survival. I bet their finances aren't great.

What ever happened to all the money from the West Ham/Tevez settlement? If i recall it was about £25m? Or am i talking sh1te as usual...

ChristalPalace
07-04-2011, 04:43 PM
What ever happened to all the money from the West Ham/Tevez settlement? If i recall it was about £25m? Or am i talking sh1te as usual...

Kevin Blackwell spent it on crap like Ched Evans (£3m).

The club announced in February 2010 that they're some £46m in debt, and then in November that they'd made an annual loss of £18.7m - truly astonishing and, for Blades fans, very worrying.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1248642/Sheffield-United-reveal-club-debts-46million-warn-wage-cuts.html

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Sheffield-United-have-announced-losses-of-18-7million-for-the-year-ending-June-30-but-also-unveiled-plans-to-make-the-club-debt-free-by-2013-article636229.html

chatham_eagle
07-04-2011, 04:58 PM
They aren't in a good position. They've sold of the hotel they owned and are trying to get rid of Ferencvaros and Chengdu Blades.

Pistol Knight
07-04-2011, 06:35 PM
They aren't in a good position. They've sold of the hotel they owned and are trying to get rid of Ferencvaros and Chengdu Blades.

Oh well

elgin eagle
07-04-2011, 07:01 PM

i suppose its about a million a year cut from the wage bill, but the timing does seem odd with only 7 games left. perhaps they are trying to create a siege mentality with the players who are left? either that or they are totally knacked financially, which seems more likely.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
07-04-2011, 07:10 PM
He must have seen them play alongside each other.

hoskingt
07-04-2011, 07:13 PM
How can they be in financial trouble?? They're sponsored by Malta!

Aaroncpfc
08-04-2011, 01:19 PM
After the game in November, Sheffield United fans thought it was funny to ridicule us for our previous financial mess and the luck they experienced in that match. Bollocks to them, their wanking off Warnock fans, and the club in general.

I hope they stay in League One with the likes of Southampton, Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday for as long as possible.

ChickenDipper
08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
I would love for them to be relegated.

nobody cares about the steel derby anyway