PDA

View Full Version : Owen Garvan Signs for Crystal Palace

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

james powell
05-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Is there any truth in these rumours about us being interested in him.
Is GB actually looking at him? I think he'll sign on the 3rd of August at around 4:20. Just a hunch.

P.S
THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT BEN FECKING WATSON!!!!!!

NathanCPFCD
05-07-2010, 10:21 PM
hope so!

eagles #1
05-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Don't think so. Ipswich are looking to get rid, no mention of us going for him.

james powell
05-07-2010, 10:30 PM
It's been mentioned a few times on various threads. Just wanted to know whether he's actually linked with us or whether it's just people wanting it to be true.

Owngoal
06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
No links by the management, just wishful thinking by many of us - could be a great player in a few years with the right development

james powell
06-07-2010, 11:44 AM
So he's not the finished product right now? Worth a look though surely.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
06-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Presume he would cost money too?

GreatGonzo
06-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Ipswich will want a fee for him. Was on teh list of 8 circulated by Ipswich saying they are available along with Lee Martin.

Must have been great for them going back to pre-season knowing they were on that list!

Celestial Empire
06-07-2010, 03:29 PM
I think this might be Keanes way of telling him to shape up or ship out. He doesn't seem to like the new regime at Ipswich. Surely they would want a decent fee and loads of sell on potential.

Crunchie
06-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Ipswich will want a fee for him. Was on teh list of 8 circulated by Ipswich saying they are available along with Lee Martin.

Must have been great for them going back to pre-season knowing they were on that list!

Thats interesting. Thought Lee Martin was OK for Sheff Utd. Wonder if he still has it.

CPFC_DAVE77
06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Thats interesting. Thought Lee Martin was OK for Sheff Utd. Wonder if he still has it.

Strange comment Crunchie, I thought he only played about 4 games for Sheff Utd on loan through injury? May be wrong though.

Would be a decent signing for us.

SpikeyMatt
06-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Says a lot about Roy Keane wanting rid of him. He's a top player.

This all combined with him letting us have Wright for free, rated by many Ipswich fans as their best defender makes me think Keane has more screws loose than originally thought.

Oh, and he's a ManUre w*nker, naturally.

brooklynlou
06-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I dont think Keane cares about talent. He just wants guys that are willing to run 100 miles per hour and go through a brick wall for him (and the team) on command and never ask any questions. This for him constitutes as 'talent'.

Just say thank you very much and put 5 pounds on him getting fired by Christmas. In a way, he's sort of like Warnock but with anger management issues.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Says a lot about Roy Keane wanting rid of him. He's a top player.

This all combined with him letting us have Wright for free, rated by many Ipswich fans as their best defender makes me think Keane has more screws loose than originally thought.

Oh, and he's a ManUre w*nker, naturally.

I guess it depends also on what happens behind the scenes in the dressing room. Regardless of their talent, I think I would also get rid of players who may not be on board with my 'vision'. (Not that I'm suggesting it's the case here, I have no facts).

That said, there is less chance that the players would need to be gotten rid of if I was manager instead of Keane, because I'm far less of a ********** wanker.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-07-2010, 11:25 PM
I can't believe it filtered out the word 'chops' just because it was on the end of '*****'.

Jim Cannon
06-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Well we all know Keane has learned everything he knows from the red faced dictator at Old Trafford. The main difference between is Keane struggles to win football matches or get on with ANY of his players

The Bishop
09-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Burley says that we have made an offer to another club for a central midfielder. Fingers crossed it's Owen Garvan of Ipswich:

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/news/Rebuilding-continue/article-2394988-detail/article.html

Oh south london
09-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Would be very pleased if we got him.

PalaceSince2004
09-07-2010, 01:04 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1293393/Ipswich-reject-Crystal-Palace-bid-Owen-Garvan-George-Burley-hopeful-landing-man.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Ipswich have rejected a £100,000 bid for transfer-listed midfielder Owen Garvan from Championship rivals Crystal Palace.

But despite failing with his first offer Eagles' boss George Burley remains confident of being able to complete a deal with his former club in time for next month's big kick-off.

Garvan, 22, is one of eight players Tractor Boys' boss Roy Keane has deemed surplus to requirements.

Keane has been told by reclusive owner Marcus Evans that he must unload players before drafting in reinforcements to last season's under-performing squad.

Ipswich are seeking a £400,000 fee for the player who captained the Republic of Ireland at Under-21 level, winning 15 caps and netting four goals.

But ex-Scotland boss Burley, who only took charge at Selhurst Park last month, said: 'Owen hasn't been getting a regular game at Ipswich and I would like to get him. 'He's a good passer of the ball and someone I feel could do well for me. He's my type of player.

'A loan is a possibility or an initial payment with more to come later. I am hopeful I can still sign him. 'We are short of players at Palace and I have other irons in the fire to increase our squad as quickly as possible.'

Dublin-born Garvan, a product of the famous Home Farm nursery club, has been at Portman Road since leaving school and has scored 15 goals in 174 first team appearances.

CPFC_DAVE77
09-07-2010, 01:07 PM
This would be a massive coup IMHO. I sincerly hope we stick at this and get straight back on the blower.

eagle101
09-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Would love for this to happen.

Clapham Grand
09-07-2010, 01:10 PM
wow - now we are offering money to clubs too!!

Kipungu
09-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Good stuff.

stinky
09-07-2010, 01:17 PM
unbelievable.

What a time to be a Palace fan. Would love for it to happen, but even if it doesn't it's just such a positive signal.

I heart GB, CPFC2010, and everyone involved with the club at the moment. Even Dave

Celestial Empire
09-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Hmm, expect some gazumpers to suddenly appear: QPR and ShefU ?
Interesting that GB sees Harper as a play maker.

PalaceSince2004
09-07-2010, 01:23 PM
I have heard his name a couple of times in the championship but I do not know too much about him. Can anyone tell me?

ChristalPalace
09-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I have heard his name a couple of times in the championship but I do not know too much about him. Can anyone tell me?

Ireland U21 international who kept Scannell out of that team. He's a central midfielder who can also - I believe - play on the right, hence him being preferred to Sean.

PalaceSince2004
09-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Right or left footed?

Celestial Empire
09-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Appeared on the scene as a goal scoring midfielder a few years ago (surprised he hasn't actually scored more), but has gone right off the boil in the past 18 months (the Keane effect ?)
22 years old.

ChristalPalace
09-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Right or left footed?

Again, I believe (so not certain) that he's left-footed.

IpswichEagle
09-07-2010, 01:36 PM

He's a very promising young player that hasn't had the best year or two (then again, Ipswich town in general have been useless for the past few seasons, despite having some good players).

I've seen him a number of times and i rate him as one of Ipswich's best.

Was in the youth team side that won the FA Youth Cup in 05, has been plaing 1st team football for Ipswich for the past 4 or 5 seasons.

Behind Walters he is their most inventive player and probably their best passer of the ball.

Edit - Yes he is left footed. Takes corners and free kicks sometimes too (Though DA is better obviously...)

Cons are that he is not defensively that minded and doesn't have the best eye for goal. Much more a playmaker.

I'd be delighted if Burley gets his man. He needs a new opportunity somewhere

The Omen
09-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Wonder what Ipswich fans think of our 100k offer? :)

TC EAGLE
09-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Weren't/are Ipswich a creditor as we still owed them money for Alan Lee

TC EAGLE
09-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Seems like this is the guy Burley was talking about in Todays adder http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/crystalpalace/Rebuilding-continue/article-2394988-detail/article.html

GEORGE Burley is planning his next transfer swoop with a ball playing midfielder top of his list.

The Eagles manager bolstered his small squad with the additions of Adam Barrett and Andy Dorman this week. But Palace are still short on numbers and the manager will continue to scour the market for loans and free transfers.

He told the Advertiser that nothing would be secured until next week at the earliest, but admitted that an offer had been made to one club for the services of a creative midfield player.

Burley would not reveal names, but Arsenal youngster Mark Randall is thought to be one player he is keen on and fits the bill perfectly.

"We are working on things. Central midfield is a priority, we need a play maker," he said. "We had put an offer to James Harper but it looks like we're going to miss out there.

"We have made another offer to one club. It hasn't been accepted yet so I don't want to say who it is. We are waiting to hear back."

davematt
09-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I am just happy that we are after a 'ball playing midfielder'. It seems the days of Warnock and HOOF ball may be over :).

IpswichEagle
09-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Weren't/are Ipswich a creditor as we still owed them money for Alan Lee

Football debts have to be paid in full in order to come out of admin. If so, then CPFC2010 must have taken care of this (+ the money owed for Ertl, Sears loan, Paddy Mac and god knows how many other players).

We should now be in the black.

rhynoeagle
09-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Ipswich are Belived to want 400k for Garvan. I know we have very little money but maybe we could improve our offer to £200,000 Signing Garvan would be a brilliant signing and goes to show what direction this club is moving.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
09-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Great to see we are offering money (and small, realistic amounts too)

Jim Cannon
09-07-2010, 03:03 PM
money owed for Ertl
Am very sure he arrived on a free

Clapham Grand
09-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Nope he was £200k

IpswichEagle
09-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Am very sure he arrived on a free

No it was an undisclosed fee. We owed Austria Wien money and IIRC they had a representative at the CVA discussions.

I can't remember how much the debt was, but something is nagging in my mind that they were actually the biggest football creditor...? I may be making that bit totally up though.

Edit - CG beat me to it. Common misconception is that he was a 'free' though.

Beanie
09-07-2010, 03:24 PM
wow - now we are offering money to clubs too!!
Is that allowed? I forget

Crunchie
09-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Strange comment Crunchie, I thought he only played about 4 games for Sheff Utd on loan through injury? May be wrong though.

Would be a decent signing for us.

We'll I think Sheff Utd, must have been on TV about 3 times as they were going for promotion with us at the time, and that's when i saw him. Your right he only played a few games (6).

How about Garvin and Martin for 200k. Nice little earner :p

NateEagle
09-07-2010, 04:06 PM
If GB wants to play a passing, deck-based style of football, and wants to focus on a creative playmaker, that is going to be a lot of pressure and we'll be relying on that guy...is Garvan good enough for that?? I dont know him well enough so am just asking but also concerned. I know we dont have the resources but should we be aiming for a more experienced player in that key role who is proven...maybe div 1?

Celestial Empire
09-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Presumably, Wright is also a ball-playing centre-back ? (so, a replacement for Fonte).

Woosie
09-07-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure £400k is the sort of fee we should pay for Garvan. I like him, and think he would be a good signing but if we don't have much money then £400k is out of the question, even if he is good. £200k would be a good amount of money to get him for. Having said that I don't think Ipswich will hold out for £400k, and would probably be prepared to negotiate.

Woosie
09-07-2010, 04:22 PM
If GB wants to play a passing, deck-based style of football, and wants to focus on a creative playmaker, that is going to be a lot of pressure and we'll be relying on that guy...is Garvan good enough for that?? I dont know him well enough so am just asking but also concerned. I know we dont have the resources but should we be aiming for a more experienced player in that key role who is proven...maybe div 1?

We have Danns though, and he can certainly fulfill that role, even if he isn't a natural playmaker, he tends to get involved with the ball a lot and pass it around etc.

elgin eagle
09-07-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure £400k is the sort of fee we should pay for Garvan. I like him, and think he would be a good signing but if we don't have much money then £400k is out of the question, even if he is good. £200k would be a good amount of money to get him for. Having said that I don't think Ipswich will hold out for £400k, and would probably be prepared to negotiate.

Yeah especially as they don't seem to be having too much success shifting the other 7 players Keane doesn't get on with. If we get back in early they might accept less hopefully.

doodledandy
09-07-2010, 04:33 PM

I have an inkling that George Burley might have the experience to know a thing or two about who he needs to fulfil the positions in the team and be able to do the business. :rolleyes:

Oh south london
09-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Up the offer if we can afford. 100k is very low for a player like him.

Woosie
09-07-2010, 04:38 PM
I have an inkling that George Burley might have the experience to know a thing or two about who he needs to fulfil the positions in the team and be able to do the business. :rolleyes:

No need to be like that, NateEagle was merely raising a point about whether or not Garvan was experienced enough. Nowhere did he actually question George Burley's ability to pick players and manage a team.

Psychokiller
09-07-2010, 04:39 PM
No need to be like that, NateEagle was merely raising a point about whether or not Garvan was experienced enough. Nowhere did he actually question George Burley's ability to pick players and manage a team.
Seriously, don't feed the troll, he'll disappear up his own arse in time.

SpikeyMatt
09-07-2010, 04:55 PM
He would be an brilliant addition to the squad.

FromSelhurst
09-07-2010, 04:58 PM
100k is a little cheeky, finances permitting we should go higher, even at 400k its decent value.

CPFC_DAVE77
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
We'll I think Sheff Utd, must have been on TV about 3 times as they were going for promotion with us at the time, and that's when i saw him. Your right he only played a few games (6).

Bunsen Burner indeed!!:p

maxpower
09-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Might aswell test the water with the bid to see, then up it if they really want the player

CPFC_DAVE77
09-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Might aswell test the water with the bid to see, then up it if they really want the player

We already have, we offered a disgracefully low 100k to test the water!

hoskingt
09-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Ah offering money :love:

Chris K
09-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Nice to see us throwing about pisstake bids. If he becomes the player people have said he would in recent times then even £400k is good value.

elgin eagle
09-07-2010, 05:20 PM

Now that would be good business. :lux:

CPFC_DAVE77
09-07-2010, 05:26 PM
5euMLJrtZgc

doodledandy
09-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Nice to see us throwing about pisstake bids. If he becomes the player people have said he would in recent times then even £400k is good value.
Ah, but that 400K has to be found in a barrel that is empty!

rhynoeagle
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I assume we wouldnt be able to afford 400k ?

I've also read Burley will take him on loan then buy him in The next transfer window.

maxpower
09-07-2010, 05:41 PM
We may actually have appropriate money available that can be spent for targets who are not free. He has chosen out on contract players, to keep money for the players he would like that would attract a fee

maxpower
09-07-2010, 05:42 PM

That is what i meant we tested the water so now maybe put in a good enough offer and obviously keane does not want him and he doesnt want to be there

Chris K
09-07-2010, 05:52 PM

SP and GB have both said that there is a budget available for players. Neither you or I know what that is but to say its empty is incorrect

doodledandy
09-07-2010, 05:54 PM

Perhaps George Burley has offered what is reasonably affordable and has been sanctioned by Steve Parish. The club (as a company) is broke for all intents and purposes and any transfer fee's have to be covered by the 2010 consortium, to whom I'm already grateful and I'm not really expecting them to deep dip again when there are still several quality freebie's on the market, although I agree, he would be useful to have.

Moving on:

Woosie Quote:
Originally Posted by doodledandy
I have an inkling that George Burley might have the experience to know a thing or two about who he needs to fulfil the positions in the team and be able to do the business.

Seems to me he is questioning George Burleys ability in saying "If GB wants to play a passing, deck-based style of football, and wants to focus on a creative playmaker, that is going to be a lot of pressure and we'll be relying on that guy...is Garvan good enough for that?? ".

That's an insult to the Palace manager. Do you think if GB thought Garvan wasn't good enough, he would have gone ahead and made an offer for him anyway?

doodledandy
09-07-2010, 06:00 PM
SP and GB have both said that there is a budget available for players. Neither you or I know what that is but to say its empty is incorrect

The budget is a sum of money that the club doesn't have, but which the directors (CPFC2010) will cover if they feel it's appropriate and affordable to them, but there isn't any funds in the bank account for this, as such.

If there was, where do you think it might have come from?

Gooders
09-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Isn't there a big chunk of TV money due in August? Do you think the new owners might take it into account, or will they act all surprised when it arrives?

Clearly we are not rolling in it, but you don't know what the annual budget for players is (fees + wages), so stop speculating.

Braders
09-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Absolutely delighted with the players that GB has signed and is looking towards, cannot wait for the new season. Hopefully we'll nick Garvan, 100k is a very cheeky bid on our behalf but sod it, we've had to suffer in the past and ipswich do not HAVE/NEED to accept. This could pan out to be yet more shrewd business on our behalf if we get this player for the best possible price, how football clubs should be run when dealing with signing players.

Jim Cannon
09-07-2010, 07:04 PM
We don't know how much is available

Oh south london
09-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Absolutely delighted with the players that GB has signed and is looking towards, cannot wait for the new season. Hopefully we'll nick Garvan, 100k is a very cheeky bid on our behalf but sod it, we've had to suffer in the past and ipswich do not HAVE/NEED to accept. This could pan out to be yet more shrewd business on our behalf if we get this player for the best possible price, how football clubs should be run when dealing with signing players.

Agree with this. Its so great so see us bettering our playing squad and replacing the ones we have lost for better players. Garvan would be an even better signing than Harper if we could get him. Please make it happen CPFC2010. Plus we would almost definatly be able to get a fee for him when the time came for him to move on.

cpfcfan1
09-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Owen Garvin would be a hell of signing!

Danns, Dorman, Garvin, Ambrose

What a midfield..

doodledandy
09-07-2010, 07:15 PM

Absolutely agree. When bidding, you have to start somewhere and if they snatch your arm off, you know you've paid over the odds for the player. Better to start cheap and go up in steady increments, or you could always do a 'warnock' and throw a tantrum. :p

Woosie
09-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Perhaps George Burley has offered what is reasonably affordable and has been sanctioned by Steve Parish. The club (as a company) is broke for all intents and purposes and any transfer fee's have to be covered by the 2010 consortium, to whom I'm already grateful and I'm not really expecting them to deep dip again when there are still several quality freebie's on the market, although I agree, he would be useful to have.

Moving on:

Woosie Quote:
I have an inkling that George Burley might have the experience to know a thing or two about who he needs to fulfil the positions in the team and be able to do the business.

Seems to me he is questioning George Burleys ability in saying "If GB wants to play a passing, deck-based style of football, and wants to focus on a creative playmaker, that is going to be a lot of pressure and we'll be relying on that guy...is Garvan good enough for that?? ".

That's an insult to the Palace manager. Do you think if GB thought Garvan wasn't good enough, he would have gone ahead and made an offer for him anyway?

Bloody hell, if you think that's an insult to Burley then I dread to think what you will be like when people are discussing which players to play where and what formation to play.

Crunchie
09-07-2010, 08:06 PM
The budget is a sum of money that the club doesn't have, but which the directors (CPFC2010) will cover if they feel it's appropriate and affordable to them, but there isn't any funds in the bank account for this, as such.

Saving 23k a week on the ground rent

SE25Eagle
09-07-2010, 08:10 PM

You really are stupid int ya....?

Chris K
09-07-2010, 08:32 PM

The concept is generally known as "Capital", its what happens when a owners of a business put a sum of money in with the intentions of making a return. Its quite common I hear in the business world.

SE25Eagle
09-07-2010, 08:34 PM
The concept is generally known as "Capital", its what happens when a owners of a business put a sum of money in with the intentions of making a return. Its quite common I hear in the business world.

I wouldn't waste ya time mate, its wasted on that div.

doodledandy
09-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Okay, let's deal with this in one go.

Firstly, the monthly rent saved because CPFC2010 bought the freehold for 4m quid, isn't then accrued month upon month in the clubs bank account. It just means that it isn't a monthly overhead that has to be found anymore.

Secondly, any money introduced into the club coffers is as you say chris K "introduced capital". It's not a gift to the club and it takes place as and when needed, but has to be paid back with interest to the person(s) who made the loan. It's not a gift (which is what a lot of you fail to see in respect of Ron Noades tenure, but that's a different story).

Thirdly, I'm not a "div" as you so eloquently put it SE25Eagle, but perhaps you are; always assuming that you understand what a 'div' is in the first place and don't just use the abbreviation because you heard someone else saying it and thought is was kool?

Finally, I own three successful, but very diverse businesses currently; one here in Phoenix, AZ., one in Beckenham and another in Eastbourne, so I have a pretty good understanding of what business ethics are all about and how it works. Clearly some of you don't, believing instead that CPFC has pots of money again, just because the members of the consortium are personally wealthy individuals.

Play nice and may God bless you!

SE25Eagle
09-07-2010, 09:13 PM

Firstly, the monthly rent saved because CPFC2010 bought the freehold for 4m quid, isn't then accrued month upon month in the clubs bank account. It just means that it isn't a monthly overhead that has to be found anymore.

Secondly, any money introduced into the club coffers is as you say chris K "introduced capital". It's not a gift to the club and it takes place as and when needed, but has to be paid back with interest to the person(s) who made the loan. It's not a gift (which is what a lot of you fail to see in respect of Ron Noades tenure, but that's a different story).

Thirdly, I'm not a "div" as you so eloquently put it SE25Eagle, but perhaps you are; always assuming that you understand what a 'div' is in the first place and don't just use the abbreviation because you heard someone else saying it and thought is was kool?

Finally, I own three successful, but very diverse businesses currently; one here in Phoenix, AZ., one in Beckenham and another in Eastbourne, so I have a pretty good understanding of what business ethics are all about and how it works. Clearly some of you don't, believing instead that CPFC has pots of money again, just because the members of the consortium are personally wealthy individuals.

'kool' eh lol

div.

CPFC_DAVE77
09-07-2010, 09:43 PM

'Cool' spelt with a 'k' as in 'kool' as you so eloquently put it, is not cool; it is indeed the literary signature of a "div"

cranesparkeagle
09-07-2010, 09:47 PM
100k is not much for your Championship level playmaker. Think we are being careful not to show our hand. More poker being played?

Chris K
09-07-2010, 10:00 PM

So you're agreeing that if capital has been put in by CPFC2010 then we'll have budget for transfers. (assuming of course that was its intended purpose which has been alluded to by both SP and GB by the 'there's a small budget available' type comments)

elgin eagle
09-07-2010, 10:03 PM

!

On the contrary, most long time Palace fans have seen the folly in paying huge wages to 30 something players with no commitment to the club, and no incentive to perform to earn bonuses. Players like Scowcroft, Kennedy and Kuqi were quite happy to see out contracts, even refusing to go out on loan, and didn't seem bothered if they played or not.

That we are now looking at low priced, young players with potential as well as a potential resale value, on affordable contracts with bonus promises for good performance instead of high money each week for doing nothing, suggests we are on the right track finally.

beef
09-07-2010, 10:08 PM
I think this would be a wonderful signing. Not difficult to understand why a decent player is not performing under Keane.

webbo1990
09-07-2010, 10:23 PM
100k is not much for your Championship level playmaker. Think we are being careful not to show our hand. More poker being played?
Yes, agreed. When i heard this story I laughed, as £100k seems such a pi$$ poor offer for a C'ship player, but thinking more deeply about it, it's a good starting point for a barter.

If we steamed in with their asking price, believed to be £400k, then (if we intend to go for) the next player on our list, teams will think we have cash on our hip.

Gooders
09-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Got to be a cousin of Gonzo's.

The Bishop
10-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Yes, agreed. When i heard this story I laughed, as £100k seems such a pi$$ poor offer for a C'ship player, but thinking more deeply about it, it's a good starting point for a barter.

If we steamed in with their asking price, believed to be £400k, then (if we intend to go for) the next player on our list, teams will think we have cash on our hip.

Very much hope that we sign Garvan. Good player at this level with the potential to get even better.

Hopefully we'll go back in with an improved offer that is acceptable to Ipswich.

The Bishop
10-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Roy K*ane was on Sky Sports earlier saying that Palace had not yet made a formal bid for Owen Garvan.

rhynoeagle
10-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Roy K*ane was on Sky Sports earlier saying that Palace had not yet made a formal bid for Owen Garvan.

Yeah, I heard of that. That maybe a good thing though, maybe the bid might be accepted. Also did anyone see the peice that GB said about he might come on loan with a payment some other time to sign him permanently ?

PalaceSince2004
10-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Keane says that Crystal Palace have made no firm offer for midfielder Owen Garvan, despite George Burley confirming his interest yesterday: ďI think there have been stories of offers being in for some of our players, but thereís been no offer made for Owen Garvan.

ďManagers have conversations every day about players. Iíve done the same, Iíve been doing it this morning, but in terms of concrete offers for Owen Garvan, itís certainly not true, but thereís no surprise there in terms of speculation.Ē

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=16708

Reps AJ
10-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Keane says that Crystal Palace have made no firm offer for midfielder Owen Garvan, despite George Burley confirming his interest yesterday: ďI think there have been stories of offers being in for some of our players, but thereís been no offer made for Owen Garvan.

ďManagers have conversations every day about players. Iíve done the same, Iíve been doing it this morning, but in terms of concrete offers for Owen Garvan, itís certainly not true, but thereís no surprise there in terms of speculation.Ē

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=16708

Please don't quote R** K**** I have him on ignore ;)

PJJY
10-07-2010, 12:06 PM
I really hope we sign him.

Owngoal
10-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Really saying no formal bid but not denying conversation about him
No smoke without fire
We could have a great midfield for the first time in years

Crunchie
10-07-2010, 01:37 PM

Your first point. Nice asset to have though, Selhurst Park for £4M. Better than paying a rent of £1.2M a year for 3 years, which could have (roughly) bought the ground.

You seem to contradict yourself in your second point, regarding the ground. If Selhurst Park is sold, CPFC2010 will make a healthy profit, despite the agreement with Lloyds, again nice asset to have.

It is also up to the directors of the club to decide whether any "induced capital" will need to be paid back in the future. If they do wish this to be paid back, they can decide at what interest and when (which can also be flexible - depending on success).

adrenalin john
10-07-2010, 02:01 PM
It is also up to the directors of the club to decide whether any "induced capital" will need to be paid back in the future. If they do wish this to be paid back, they can decide at what interest and when (which can also be flexible - depending on success).

For such a successful international entrepeneur it is surprising that 'div' - as he shall forthwith be forthwith referred as - doesn't appear to know what is a director's loan and share capital, let alone how they differ.

I have not seen the books but I would hope that CPFC 2010 have re-capitalised the business by an injection funds through share capital.This money is not re-payble but obviously increases the value of the club by a corressponding amount (in theory). They may of course have also loaned the club money but that would be an odd approach at this stage of an ownership cycle.

In terms of day to day running costs the normal course of events in a business such as this is to have a fairly large overdraft to deal with the fluctuating cash position. No doubt guaranteed by debenture over the club/ground and/or the directors personally.

Gooders
10-07-2010, 02:32 PM
You may be right AJ but I still reckon they don't know about the TV money.

Perhaps div will be good enough to tip them the wink?

doodledandy
10-07-2010, 03:57 PM
'Cool' spelt with a 'k' as in 'kool' as you so eloquently put it, is not cool; it is indeed the literary signature of a "div"
The expression derives from black American slang meaning 'I approve' and is spelled KOOL. The cool you refer to, means cold! Now who's the div, div?

doodledandy
10-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Your first point. Nice asset to have though, Selhurst Park for £4M. Better than paying a rent of £1.2M a year for 3 years, which could have (roughly) bought the ground.

You seem to contradict yourself in your second point, regarding the ground. If Selhurst Park is sold, CPFC2010 will make a healthy profit, despite the agreement with Lloyds, again nice asset to have.

Obviously you don't understand how business works!

Introduced capital does have to be returned to the lender at some point, in order to balance the books. Alternatively it's a gift to the business, which will then be assessed as unearned income and taxed accordingly. On top of that, I think the consortium has done more than their fair share of gifting their money to the club for our pleasure, don't you?

I'm not seeing your point regarding 'contradicting myself' as I made no reference to Selhurst Park being an asset, nor did I give any consideration to it being sold or mortgaged (God forbid), which would put the club right back to square one. My point is, that the monthly rent no longer has to found (by selling players and/or by other means), but that doesn't mean that the rent money then accumulates in the bank account month upon month.

CPFC_DAVE77
10-07-2010, 04:37 PM
The expression derives from black American slang meaning 'I approve' and is spelled KOOL. The cool you refer to, means cold! Now who's the div, div?

'kool' is a brand of menthol cigarettes. Kool is also an alternative spelling to the traditional 'cool'.

Gooders
10-07-2010, 04:43 PM
First time I've used the ignore button for a long time - this guy's patronising twaddle is getting right on my tits.

The Bishop
10-07-2010, 04:48 PM

http://www.kitschulike.com/images/5589_diagnosis_wanker.jpg

doodledandy
10-07-2010, 04:49 PM
First time I've used the ignore button for a long time - this guy's patronising twaddle is getting right on my tits.
And your stupidity in not participating in the thread, other than making idiotic remarks toward fellow posters, is getting on my t!ts too. I find it hard to believe that you are 50 years old and still acting so immature. You seriously need to grow up mate. :S:

doodledandy
10-07-2010, 04:51 PM
So you're agreeing that if capital has been put in by CPFC2010 then we'll have budget for transfers. (assuming of course that was its intended purpose which has been alluded to by both SP and GB by the 'there's a small budget available' type comments)
No, you're assuming and you know what that does!

chatham_eagle
10-07-2010, 04:53 PM
making idiotic remarks toward fellow posters

This is the crux of the bbs, you bellend.

The Bishop
10-07-2010, 04:53 PM
And your stupidity in not participating in the thread, other than making idiotic remarks toward fellow posters, is getting on my t!ts too. I find it hard to believe that you are 50 years old and still acting so immature. You seriously need to grow up mate. :S:

You got yourself banned on HOL.

Keep digging because it won't be long before you get yourself banned on here too :p

doodledandy
10-07-2010, 04:58 PM
This is the crux of the bbs, you bellend.
Difficult to believe that tax payers money is putting a sad loser like you through university. Still, let's hope that one day you'll grow up and become a man! :clown:

Owngoal
10-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Can we drop all this and actually have a thread about Garvan?

Seaside Eagle
10-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Can we drop all this and actually have a thread about Garvan?

This please.

On topic, anything under £400,000 would be a very good buy. However, I doubt we'll go up that high. It wouldn't surprise me if he was bought for £200,000.

Bobsta
10-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Difficult to believe that tax payers money is putting a sad loser like you through university. Still, let's hope that one day you'll grow up and become a man! :clown:

I bet you've got a small cock.

SE25Eagle
10-07-2010, 05:28 PM
http://www.kitschulike.com/images/5589_diagnosis_wanker.jpg

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Bishop again.

:p

Reps AJ
10-07-2010, 05:29 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Bishop again.

:p

Don't worry I repped him for that :p

rhynoeagle
10-07-2010, 05:30 PM
This please.

On topic, anything under £400,000 would be a very good buy. However, I doubt we'll go up that high. It wouldn't surprise me if he was bought for £200,000.

Hmm, i was thinking that. I think an offer would be accepted at £250,000. The consortium said there is some money too spend. But noone knows if it would be sensible to spend that much.

Assuming we can i really think we should bid up to that much.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
10-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Do taxpayers still pay for university education in England these days? I thought they'd phased out student grants except for scholarship type things.

beef
10-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Can get a grant of ~4k per year if parents income is <20k or something similar

chatham_eagle
10-07-2010, 05:47 PM

Indeed, they have been had.
But please, can we be friends? Your insults are far too cutting for me to withstand any longer. Is that 'kool'?
As I said, bellend.

cpfcfan1
10-07-2010, 05:52 PM
This would be good

Kipungu
10-07-2010, 05:57 PM
So was doodledandy right?

Owen Garvan would be an exciting signing, hope it goes through. Love the transfer buzz around the club, feels good.

James
10-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Could we please try and cut out the gratuitous insults and play nicely? If anyone really bothers you, there is a convenient 'Ignore' facility. Thanks.

SE25Eagle
10-07-2010, 07:15 PM

'This poster like to call fellow posters names if they have an opinion different to his. Immature kiddie syndrome!'

lol, you really are a fvcking div :clown:

Vince Hilaire's Afro
10-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Could we please try and cut out the gratuitous insults and play nicely? If anyone really bothers you, there is a convenient 'Ignore' facility. Thanks.

I'm not sure how many people could actually read this, so I quoted it. ;)

The Bishop
11-07-2010, 02:49 PM
David Pleat's analysis on Owen Garvan. Written in the Guardian about four years ago:

Financial restrictions have forced Ipswich to make the most of their youth policy and Owen Garvan, one of the homegrown talents, looks destined for the very top. He looks to have shades of Arnold Muhren, Kevin Sheedy and Liam Brady: an old-fashioned midfielder with a good left foot.

That may sound very high praise but this boy has great quality. When he plays a pass and gets the return he has already seen the next ball he wants to play and that is a special talent in someone so young. He also shows subtlety, balance and a sleight of foot beyond his years. When he receives possession he has a knack of being able to deceive opponents by dropping his shoulder and drifting away from them effortlessly. His speed of thought makes up for not being outstandingly fast.

Garvan's best position is on the left side of a central midfield pair where he can receive the ball off his defenders and make the play by bringing team-mates into the game. That is usually the quality of a player of some experience. Jim Magilton has been Ipswich's schemer-in-chief for several seasons but his time is coming to an end and Garvan will take his place with confidence.

Garvan can pass accurately short and long but what has particularly impressed me is his ability to shield possession, a quality not always seen in players from the British Isles. When tackles fly in or he is hounded by an opponent he has the composure to move and keep the ball.

He likes to shoot and can hit fierce drives from the edge of the box. He will get stronger from playing consistently in the Championship but already he can look after himself. Although still slim he shows determination and a willingness to put his foot into tackles against stronger and more experienced players.

When I first saw Garvan I wondered whether he was fully tuned in to defensive responsibilities. Balls got played behind him, I thought he was slow to react and my first instinct was that he lacked pace. But he reacts swiftly now when Ipswich lose possession and, having watched him closely, I can see he has enough speed. A slightly ugly duckling running style can make him appear sluggish at times.

It is a terrific accolade for a boy of 18 that he has rarely been out of the side this season. Ipswich won the Youth Cup last year and he showed enough quality in the first leg of the final against Southampton for Joe Royle to feel confident of using him. Three others in that team, Billy Clarke, Darryl Knights and the goalkeeper Shane Supple, also look to have particularly bright futures.

I am told Garvan is mentally strong, single-minded and one of the last to leave training, even coming in on his day off. In Royle and the assistant manager Willie Donachie he has terrific people to guide him. Ipswich have sold to survive since the Bobby Robson era and they must hope that this time the club can progress without sacrificing this fine young talent.

jobiinthelastmi
11-07-2010, 04:22 PM
All sounds good! apart from the very top where it says David Pleat :sob: :(

Celestial Empire
11-07-2010, 05:26 PM
All sounds good! apart from the very top where it says David Pleat :sob: :(

:D
Precisely.
I would love to hear Roy Keane's view on this piece (short expletive or raging rant ?). It sounds like Alan Shearer's contrived, faux analysis on TV, I wonder which journo hack writes that drivel.

CPFC_DAVE77
12-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Still can't believe Shane Supple just gave up on football!

Tony Montana
12-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Sorry, but i can't be bothered to wade through the insults and posts not relating to the topic, does anyone know what the latest is with Garvan? have we made an offer? is it pure speculation? is an offer definitely forthcoming?

CPFC_DAVE77
12-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Sorry, but i can't be bothered to wade through the insults and posts not relating to the topic, does anyone know what the latest is with Garvan? have we made an offer? is it pure speculation? is an offer definitely forthcoming?

As far as I understand (may be wrong)

It was claimed we have made an offer of 100k following garvan being on list of 8 ITFC players made available. GB has confirmed an interest im him.

Keane has denied we have made any offers but confirmed managers speak all the time etc etc.

It would seem we are genuinely interested; but nothing much to report as of yet.

Psychokiller
12-07-2010, 08:09 AM
I think (and this is pure speculation) we're trying to get him on loan with a view to a permanent transfer. Don't forget that we're still in administration and therefore unable to pay transfer fees at the present moment.

ChristalPalace
12-07-2010, 10:09 AM

Technically he didn't. He's now playing Gaelic football in Ireland.

CPFC_DAVE77
12-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Technically he didn't. He's now playing Gaelic football in Ireland.

Fair enough!

GreatGonzo
12-07-2010, 10:47 AM

Fell out of love with the game and now a goalkeeping in Gaelic football, although not sure if he is getting paid for it, doubt he would be earning the same amount either way.

Says a lot when a youngester starts to hate the game before he ahs even broken through properly.

etu
12-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Fell out of love with the game and now a goalkeeping in Gaelic football, although not sure if he is getting paid for it, doubt he would be earning the same amount either way.

Says a lot when a youngester starts to hate the game before he ahs even broken through properly.

Considering its an amateur sport, I'll guess no...

Maximus Dowieus
12-07-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure how many people could actually read this, so I quoted it. ;)

LOL:lux:

ChiswickEagle
12-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Obviously you don't understand how business works!

Introduced capital does have to be returned to the lender at some point, in order to balance the books. Alternatively it's a gift to the business, which will then be assessed as unearned income and taxed accordingly. On top of that, I think the consortium has done more than their fair share of gifting their money to the club for our pleasure, don't you?

Surely that depends whether the capital is loan capital or equity capital. Subscription for shares is not a gift. Admittedly, equity capital can be structured as quasi debt. However, your comment above is not accurate.

Palestinian
12-07-2010, 11:34 AM
I think (and this is pure speculation) we're trying to get him on loan with a view to a permanent transfer. Don't forget that we're still in administration and therefore unable to pay transfer fees at the present moment.
Presuambly though this will change in a couple of weeks though

CPFC_DAVE77
12-07-2010, 11:39 AM

Yea I remember reading about it. ITFC agreed to allow him to leave during his contract, imagine if turned up in football again for a relatively decent fee; they would be pissed.

Chris K
12-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Excellent suggestion, completely forgot about that and fits the bill perfectly for someone in here that is arguing and being difficult for the sake of it

JHJ EAGLE
14-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Any news on this fella?

james powell
19-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Looks like the deals gone cold :(

rhynoeagle
19-07-2010, 11:31 PM
http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=16749

Not sure how reliable.

Oh south london
19-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Sweet. Still really keen on getting him in. Would be a fantastic player for us I am sure.

rhynoeagle
19-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Sweet. Still really keen on getting him in. Would be a fantastic player for us I am sure.

Same here :love: :D

He and Colace > Any trialist we had. But i would like some trialists to sign for a strong bench.

james powell
19-07-2010, 11:59 PM
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Crystal-Palace-boss-George-Burley-set-for-double-midfield-swoop-for-Ipswich-s-Owen-Garvan-and-Barnsley-s-Hugo-Colace-article530013.html
According to the Mirror (yeah, I know) Colace and Garvan are Burleys' next double signings.

NathanCPFCD
20-07-2010, 12:07 AM
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Crystal-Palace-boss-George-Burley-set-for-double-midfield-swoop-for-Ipswich-s-Owen-Garvan-and-Barnsley-s-Hugo-Colace-article530013.html
According to the Mirror (yeah, I know) Colace and Garvan are Burleys' next double signings.

I would love that to be true.

NathanCPFCD
20-07-2010, 12:07 AM

I would love that to be true.

FromSelhurst
20-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Would be a very good double signing.

possible midfield 3 of;

colace -- danns -- garvan

would be very tidy. id be reluctant to use alan lee as a lone front man though and ambrose and dorman wouldn't really supply the pace to support him.

another alternative could be a narrrow-ish midfield of;

ambrose -- colace -- danns -- garvan

ambrose is more than capable of delivering a cross, something lee im sure would appreciate, lee would get a partner up front (someone hopefully with pace) so this would perhaps be the best option.

Owngoal
20-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Burley really seems to know what he is doing in terms of bargain basement trading so far - can't wait to see who the striker turns out to be

BulletEagle
20-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Colace - Garvan

Ambrose - Danns - Dorman

And play 4-2-3-1

Cake and Eat It
20-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Colace - Garvan

Ambrose - Danns - Dorman

And play 4-2-3-1

^- This

Would be a fantastic midfield. Quite capable of 50 goals between them I'd say.

CPFC_DAVE77
20-07-2010, 07:53 AM
If we could secure the signings of Colace and Garvan I would be exremely happy.

stinky
20-07-2010, 07:57 AM
I have so many things crossed that I don't know if I'll ever be the same again

FromSelhurst
20-07-2010, 08:28 AM
^- This

Would be a fantastic midfield. Quite capable of 50 goals between them I'd say.

Where is the pace though? and 1 up front doesnt really suit lee.

a9lpc
20-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Colace - Garvan

Ambrose - Danns - Dorman

And play 4-2-3-1
:lux: :lux: :lux:

Stigma
20-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Palace make bid for Ipswich midfielder Owen Garvan

Tuesday, 20 July 2010

By Richard Cawley

CRYSTAL Palace have made a £150,000 bid for Ipswich midfielder Owen Garvan.

We exclusively revealed at the start of July that Eagles boss George Burley wanted the 22-year-old, who is on the transfer list at Portman Road.

And the South London Press understands that the Palace chief, desperate to strengthen his midfield options, has tabled an offer for the former Republic of Ireland U21 international.

Stellavista
20-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Where is the pace though? and 1 up front doesnt really suit lee.

Why assume that Lee is going to be the one up front?

stinky
20-07-2010, 09:11 AM
I refuse to believe anything until someone like CG drops a little hint

FromSelhurst
20-07-2010, 09:14 AM

in the formentioned team he would be!

Aaroncpfc
20-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Colace - Garvan

Ambrose - Danns - Dorman

And play 4-2-3-1

I'd like to see this Slovenian lad somewhere in that midfield. I think he could be a real find for next season.

Palace Don
20-07-2010, 09:35 AM
I'd like to see this Slovenian lad somewhere in that midfield. I think he could be a real find for next season.

I liked Baiocco on Saturday, very tidy passer of the ball.

webbo1990
20-07-2010, 10:04 AM
I think i'd quite enjoy Lee up top on his todd, teeing up Dazza and Dorman to steam in.

However, you're right - let's not assume too much. We all love assuming though, it's part of the fun of a new regieme, pre-season and new players arriving.:)

Voldo
20-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I refuse to believe anything until someone like CG drops a little hint

You're a little :angel: aren't you stinky...

No such luck yet though, no bite - or maybe it a good thing CG is a little quiet..

Voldo
20-07-2010, 10:09 AM
With Lee up top alone, and our current players available i would suggest that at any given time Ambrose, Danns and Dorman could rotate and play off Lee to mix things up.

That is before we consider Zaha or 'Striker XX'

maxpower
20-07-2010, 10:18 AM
http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=25665&headline=Palace make bid for Ipswich midfielder Owen Garvan

rhynoeagle
20-07-2010, 10:22 AM
What a signing for £150,000 is its accepted.

ChristalPalace
20-07-2010, 10:28 AM
The SLP say £150k but the Mirror say £200k. I'd say the higher fee is more likely to be honest.

doodledandy
20-07-2010, 03:20 PM
The SLP say £150k but the Mirror say £200k. I'd say the higher fee is more likely to be honest.
£150/200K what does it matter. If it goes through he will be Palaces highest priced player under the CPFC2010 regime, but even at £1 he would achieve that status.

You just have to admire George Burley; he's brought in some excellent players and still hasn't spent a penny. How canny is that? :lux: :love:

ChristalPalace
20-07-2010, 03:41 PM
£150/200K what does it matter.

What does the £60k policing cost rise matter? It does.

We need to buy players for as little as possible and sell them for as much as possible.

Sounds obvious, but we didn't always do this in the last regime. I'm thinking of such wastes of money as the £500k on Flinders, or the £2.5m on Kuqi, or the £1.1m (I think) on Macken. £50k doesn't sound much in comparison to £2.5m, but on such limited resources the club has to run as tight a ship as it can.

If we can get Garvan for £150k rather £200k, it will represent a major achievement, if only a symbolism that Palace will no longer put up with paying that bit more for the sake of it.

webbo1990
20-07-2010, 03:54 PM

We need to buy players for as little as possible and sell them for as much as possible.

Sounds obvious, but we didn't always do this in the last regime. I'm thinking of such wastes of money as the £500k on Flinders, or the £2.5m on Kuqi, or the £1.1m (I think) on Macken. £50k doesn't sound much in comparison to £2.5m, but on such limited resources the club has to run as tight a ship as it can.

If we can get Garvan for £150k rather £200k, it will represent a major achievement, if only a symbolism that Palace will no longer put up with paying that bit more for the sake of it.
Quite right, and some good examples of cash wastage. However, I think doodledandy's comment was more about 'what does it matter whatever newspaper story is correct'....I think.

doodledandy
20-07-2010, 04:04 PM

You missed my point by a country mile mate,as webbo has pointed out (per my reference to £1). Also, I think you'll find that Polly Flinders cost £1,000,000.00, which was £999,999.00 too much :p

ChristalPalace
20-07-2010, 04:05 PM
You missed my point by a country mile mate. :p

Thought I might have. Have given you rep. ;)

rhynoeagle
20-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Sign him and Rado Please GB !! :D

webbo1990
20-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Thought I might have. Have given you rep. ;)
Oi, what's going on?? This is far too much loving for a fans forum!! :)

Crunchie
20-07-2010, 04:24 PM

I think all transfer fees should be declared like the good old days (including add ons).

None of this undisclosed fee bollocks, or papers just making transfer fees up.

Thats why we know how players like Thomas, Pemberton, McGoldrick, Redfearn, Burke, Suckling, Bright etc were such bargains :p

EagleinOz
20-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Oi, what's going on?? This is far too much loving for a fans forum!! :)

**** YOU

;)

Vince Hilaire's Afro
20-07-2010, 04:52 PM
I think all transfer fees should be declared like the good old days (including add ons).

None of this undisclosed fee bollocks, or papers just making transfer fees up.

Thats why we know how players like Thomas, Pemberton, McGoldrick, Redfearn, Burke, Suckling, Bright etc were such bargains :p

I started a thread on this a while back called 'balls to undisclosed fees' and heartily agree with what you say. My first post on it sums it up for me:

I would just like to say 'balls to undisclosed fees' in football transfers.

Apart from when a wanky club like Newcastle want to show off how much money they've just spent regardless of how shit the player is, we never seem to know how much a player has been sold for anymore.

This makes personal player vilification very hard to justify, can hamper rival team baiting, and also makes it extremely difficult for messageboard administration conjecturing to be vaguely accurate.

I demand a return to the old days - we may never be able to sing 'what a waste of money' ever again.

cpfcfan1
20-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Would be an absolute steal for that price

doodledandy
20-07-2010, 08:16 PM
lol, you really are a fvcking div :clown:
I said 'This poster likes to call fellow posters names if they have an opinion different to his. It's his 'Immature kiddie syndrome!' And once again you have provided the proof! :S:

jobiinthelastmi
20-07-2010, 08:21 PM
I think i'd quite enjoy Lee up top on his todd, teeing up Dazza and Dorman to steam in.

However, you're right - let's not assume too much. We all love assuming though, it's part of the fun of a new regieme, pre-season and new players arriving.:)

But what happens when Lee gets injured, and it's not an if.....

We only have Calvin Andrew to fall back on at the moment.

cpfcfan1
20-07-2010, 08:39 PM
How long does Garvan have on his contract? just wondering how much town are expecting.

doodledandy
20-07-2010, 08:42 PM

Surely there are a number of players who can slot into a forward position if it became necessary and I clearly remember a certain right back doing just that only a few months ago. I'm also old enough to remember Trevor Dawkins doing a similar thing in the 60's.

Just because a player is associated with playing in a certain position, doesn't mean he can't play other positions too.

brooklynlou
20-07-2010, 08:59 PM

Welcome to Crystal "Fiscal austerity but thank God we're still alive" Palace

The key thing to remember is there is no piggy bank to dip into. We have a wage budget and thats that. So if we can't get a striker on loan and Lee gets injured, you play Zaha, or stick N'Diaye up front, or play Ambrose or Dorman as recessed strikers. You make do and hope for the best.

It will be an interesting season. So relax, have a pint, and pray we don't get relegated. :D

Mike Chestfield
20-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm also old enough to remember Trevor Dawkins doing a similar thing in the 60's.

Yes so am I, but he did not do too much as I recall!

The Bishop
21-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Hurry up Ipswich. Accept our bid!.

Scroatey
21-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Is O'Garv the new DaNuge?

joyce the voice
21-07-2010, 04:22 PM
It will be an interesting season. So relax, have a pint, and pray we don't get relegated. :D

sound words

Selhurst Celtic
21-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Surely there are a number of players who can slot into a forward position if it became necessary and I clearly remember a certain right back doing just that only a few months ago. I'm also old enough to remember Trevor Dawkins doing a similar thing in the 60's.

Chris Coleman did similar.

And ex-Palace Paul Warhurst did the same at Sheffield Wednesday and was briefly a goal machine.

doodledandy
21-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Chris Coleman did similar.

And ex-Palace Paul Warhurst did the same at Sheffield Wednesday and was briefly a goal machine.
When needs must, you do what is necessary!

Selhurst Celtic
21-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Maybe Clyne could do a job up front? That's if he's not too busy playing the defensive midfielder role...

:clown:

rhynoeagle
21-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Come of Ke*ne just accept it.

jono cp
22-07-2010, 09:30 AM
come onnnnn. sign him up.

Big Guns
22-07-2010, 09:41 AM
http://www.sportcroydon.co.uk/palacenews/Burley-hopes-land-Ipswich-ace-Garvan-end-week/article-2445462-detail/article.html

cpfcfan1
22-07-2010, 09:50 AM
:lux:

stinky
22-07-2010, 09:52 AM
tres bon

james powell
22-07-2010, 09:53 AM
:)

Jim Bhoy
22-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Garvan is a steal at £150k. I would still buy him at £400k. Keane must have had a massive fall out with him if he's prepared to give him away for that price. Garvan has got the ability to play in the Premier League, and I can't believe that none of the lower half Premiership teams are not signing him.

cpfcfan1
22-07-2010, 09:55 AM
I was just about to say that, 150k seems to be taking the piss a bit for such a good player.

rhynoeagle
22-07-2010, 10:01 AM
I was just about to say that, 150k seems to be taking the piss a bit for such a good player.

But lets be honest.. Its about time its us doing it, not others doing it to us. :p

I will be delighted with this signing. Definatly our strongest signing if he comes. But im still wanting to hear about the Slovenian or Baicco. I think it would be great to get a good experianced DM in.

dannyboy1807
22-07-2010, 10:03 AM
So next week should be exciting with new players coming in.

jordanismygod
22-07-2010, 10:07 AM
So next week should be exciting with new players coming in.

But isn't GB leaving it too late?:afro: :moo: :cool:

cpfcfan1
22-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Midfield could look very very good, Ambrose and Garvan, oo tasty!

Dingle
22-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Made my day :lux:

pardew's shorts
22-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Should this go through, it will be a really progressive signing. OG is a very good player at this level - he uses the ball intelligently and picks passes, short or long.

I was speaking to an Ipswich fan at the weekend, and he was staggered that RK was letting him go, especially for such a low fee. He was also very annoyed at losing Wright on a free, but then again, we all know RK is a maniac.

ChickenDipper
22-07-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm more excited at the fact that he is quoted as saying "we have made lots of offers to clubs for player and on loan. Some players you just have to buy".

This won't be the only gem we get. 20+ goal striker next coming in in the name of Jay simpson!

SilverChevy
22-07-2010, 10:29 AM
20+ how do you work that out

The Bishop
22-07-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm more excited at the fact that he is quoted as saying "we have made lots of offers to clubs for player and on loan. Some players you just have to buy".

This won't be the only gem we get. 20+ goal striker next coming in in the name of Jay simpson!

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Was beginning to be concerned that GB was being limited to free transfers and loans. The squad was depleted before he took over as manager so it is positive that the new owners have accepted that signing some players will involve a fee. GB deserves a fair chance to build up a decent squad.

stinky
22-07-2010, 10:33 AM
I refuse to believe anything until someone like CG drops a hint

cpfcfan1
22-07-2010, 10:33 AM
done deal

Excowboy
22-07-2010, 10:36 AM
done deal

Either Harry Monk's hacked your account or we could have a competitive midfield next season

Mr Palace
22-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I really do hope this is true - Burley has a tough job to build a squad on a very tight budget but he's making the right noises and targeting the right kind of players.

The pessimistic side of me wonders how much of this talk is to boost season ticket sales. This seems to happen every summer at Palace but hopefully this time it will be different.

For me, I'd love us to sign Racon and Garvan for the midfield, a left back (Bertrand on loan would be great) and two strikers (doesn't seem to be many available within our price range but Simpson could be a good option).

Very excited about Burley's plans to get the ball on the deck - while the Warnock era was (at times) very exciting, the standard of football was a little one-dimensional...And the Taylor era before that was dreadful beyond belief.

Stellavista
22-07-2010, 10:37 AM
done deal

Really?

cpfcfan1
22-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Either Harry Monk's hacked your account or we could have a competitive midfield next season

:D!

cpfcfan1
22-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Sorry, dont know what the monk got into me then

JamTheEagle
22-07-2010, 10:39 AM
I'll save my :lux:'s until he is confirmed...

:lux::lux:

stinky
22-07-2010, 10:40 AM
done deal

I swear to god, if you're lying..

Owngoal
22-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Sadly I think the story is a rehash of what was said a while ago as Ipswich sites say up to £150 -200,000 as they did a few days ago, just as the Amrose story is hopefully a rehash. Burley is obviosly 'keane' on Garvan as am I having seen him for the Irish U21s. Love to see him next Tuesday at Bromley.

The Bishop
22-07-2010, 10:45 AM
If the fee offered is £150k then I would be suprised if they accepted it. Think it will take more than that to get him.

rhynoeagle
22-07-2010, 10:47 AM
done deal

Fo Show ? :D :afro:

rhynoeagle
22-07-2010, 10:52 AM
So is Owen an Eagle ? Or some harsh rumours ?

Vince Hilaire's Afro
22-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Sadly I think the story is a rehash of what was said a while ago as Ipswich sites say up to £150 -200,000 as they did a few days ago, just as the Amrose story is hopefully a rehash. Burley is obviosly 'keane' on Garvan as am I having seen him for the Irish U21s. Love to see him next Tuesday at Bromley.

yes, I clicked on the link hoping to see some sort of development had happened, but it wasn't anything we already knew, so not sure what all the excitement is about. Looks like it was just a ploy to get people to buy the Adder for the 'full story'. Really, I'd have preferred nothing to have been said, and for the signing to be completed 'on the quiet'.

I just think that we are bound to be gazumped by a rival bid if ours is constantly quoted in the press.

That said, fingers crossed.

Stellavista
22-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Fo Show ? :D :afro:

If he's lying, I am giving advanced notice that I will be ripping off his head and sh*tting down his neck.:o

Stigma
22-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Nothing new in that news story:(

Chillo
22-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Is O'Garv the new DaNuge?

Nah, he's not in the same league.......

.... only 12 pages on this thread. :D

cpfcfan1
22-07-2010, 10:55 AM
IF harry monk had posted that you would all be giving him rep! :(

rhynoeagle
22-07-2010, 10:56 AM
If he's lying, I am giving advanced notice that I will be ripping off his head and sh*tting down his neck.:o

Chillo
22-07-2010, 10:59 AM
IF harry monk had posted that you would all be laughing and not believing a word of it

EFA

cpfcfan1
22-07-2010, 11:00 AM

rhynoeagle
22-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Ipswich reactions say it all.

unstableblue added 11:05 - Jul 22

sob sob sob, mwaaaaa mwaaa, why? why? WHY?

danesmill added 11:44 - Jul 22
Good luck to you Owen - we will miss your flair and football brain as there is not too much of talent like that left at Ipswich now!

blue89 added 11:47 - Jul 22

Shocking decision! Keane is ruining this club!

Oh south london
22-07-2010, 11:35 AM
QPR reactions?

cockles
22-07-2010, 11:37 AM
blue89 added 11:47 - Jul 22

Shocking decision! Keane is ruining this club!

Keane is 'running' this club / Keane is ruining this club - same thing ;)

Dedders
22-07-2010, 11:41 AM
done deal

Is this reliable? source??

EldraththeSane
22-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Bit of perspective...

John_Warks_Willy added 11:59 - Jul 22
crikey....what are we waiting for....take the money and run (or jog in Garvans case)

Vic added 12:12 - Jul 22
danesmill, I assume you made a typo in you comment. You said 'flair' but I assumes you mean 'flairs' as in trousers because one thing he doesn't have is flair. Making a few good passes every couple of months doesn't constitute flair. Has always been an average player at Ipswich, with suggestions that he could be much better, but has never stepped up to the plate. Time for him to go I think.

cornishnick added 12:23 - Jul 22
He could have been good. Has the talent, but not the desire

I would still be very happy o'course :)

rhynoeagle
22-07-2010, 11:43 AM
QPR reactions?

Edited hah :moo: :D

rhynoeagle
22-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Bit of perspective...

John_Warks_Willy added 11:59 - Jul 22
crikey....what are we waiting for....take the money and run (or jog in Garvans case)

Vic added 12:12 - Jul 22
danesmill, I assume you made a typo in you comment. You said 'flair' but I assumes you mean 'flairs' as in trousers because one thing he doesn't have is flair. Making a few good passes every couple of months doesn't constitute flair. Has always been an average player at Ipswich, with suggestions that he could be much better, but has never stepped up to the plate. Time for him to go I think.

cornishnick added 12:23 - Jul 22
He could have been good. Has the talent, but not the desire

I would still be very happy o'course :)

Shhhhh, you wern't meant to post them ones :D :o

ChristalPalace
22-07-2010, 11:47 AM
http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=16764&title=burley_hopeful_he_can_take_garvan_to_palace

There's the page. Some mixed responses without doubt.

GodstoneEagle
22-07-2010, 11:50 AM
http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=16764&title=burley_hopeful_he_can_take_garvan_to_palace

There's the page. Some mixed responses without doubt.
some ******** ones too

chopra doesnt score enough we need a 20 + striker i dont think hes in that league

Chris K
22-07-2010, 12:00 PM
done deal

no offence but the other day you reeled off a whole load of stuff that was supposed to be happening and not one bit of it actually transpired!

EldraththeSane
22-07-2010, 12:01 PM
http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=16145&p=1#comm

This chatter from March is much more positive however. Almost enough to get one excited!

cpfcfan1
22-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeh and again that was off a football rumours site, do people not read?

Jasper
22-07-2010, 12:12 PM
The mixed comments from Ipswich fans suggest that Garvan could be the new Ben Watson.

GDP
22-07-2010, 12:18 PM
The mixed comments from Ipswich fans suggest that Garvan could be the new Ben Watson.

If he can get the ball down and play like Ben, then that'll do for me.

Chris K
22-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeh and again that was off a football rumours site, do people not read?

thats fair enough then, is it same case here then?

Stellavista
22-07-2010, 12:34 PM
thats fair enough then, is it same case here then?

And if it is, then you clearly haven't learnt your lesson, considering how emphatic your post was.....

maxpower
22-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Also from that article i would like to know who the other players are we have bid for and want on loan.

brooklynlou
22-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Also from that article i would like to know who the other players are we have bid for and want on loan.

No one has a clue and your guess is as good as mine. That said, next week we have a good chance of being able to officially sign players so we'll all find out together :)

Celestial Empire
22-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Looking at the other threads on THL, most are negative (again :rolleyes: ), so let's indulge this one.:)

doodledandy
22-07-2010, 05:10 PM
No one has a clue and your guess is as good as mine. That said, next week we have a good chance of being able to officially sign players so we'll all find out together :)
I couldn't agree more. We can speculate, but nobody really knows for certain. I'm just keeping everything crossed that the Revenue don't make a late objection to the CVA.

brooklynlou
22-07-2010, 05:45 PM
I couldn't agree more. We can speculate, but knowbody really knows for certain. I'm just keeping everything crossed that the Revenue don't make a late objection to the CVA.

Theoretically they shouldn't. For all the drama and the difficulties of trying untangle the mess and then having to strike a deal w/ two parties, it doesn't look like Palace was engaged in any creative accounting vis-a-vis offshore bank accounts and 'image rights' like Pompey was.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/23/portsmouth-sol-campbell-image-rights

In 2008, the year Pompey won the FA Cup, Campbell was picking up £30,000 a week. But Campbell claims he was also contracted to earn an equivalent sum through an offshore trust in return for the use of his image in commercial, sponsorship and endorsement deals.

So Sol was being paid 60k a week, but only 30 was being reported to the tax man. That type of behavior tends to piss them off and have them wait till the last minute of the last day before they file their complaint. All that Palace did was be broke - we weren't criminal.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
22-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Yep, my understanding is that the HRMC were contesting the Pompey CVA because the undeclared tax that they were owed actually would have brought them over the 25% creditor threshold, which wasn't the case with Palace.

zonin2000
22-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Theoretically they shouldn't. For all the drama and the difficulties of trying untangle the mess and then having to strike a deal w/ two parties, it doesn't look like Palace was engaged in any creative accounting vis-a-vis offshore bank accounts and 'image rights' like Pompey was.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/23/portsmouth-sol-campbell-image-rights

So Sol was being paid 60k a week, but only 30 was being reported to the tax man. That type of behavior tends to piss them off and have them wait till the last minute of the last day before they file their complaint. All that Palace did was be broke - we weren't criminal.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to brooklynlou again.

Good post, well summed up.