PDA

View Full Version : Left hand side

GreatGonzo
06-07-2010, 12:26 PM
It really is the left hand side i can see GB focussing on now.

We have Wright in to play at LB possibly but does anyone know if he is left or right footed?

We currently have Dorman, Danns, Ambrose, N'Diaye in the midfield ranks but none of them are left footed.

Andrew still to sign for this season is he not but at present he is one of very few left footed players in our ranks.

Be interesting to see who GB has in mind and who he signs but surely some left footers will be essential for balance?

cpfcfan1
06-07-2010, 12:27 PM

Latvian
06-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Pos Jordan on a free and then lets get Moses back on loan ;)

elgin eagle
06-07-2010, 12:41 PM
We were continually attacked down our left side all last season.

webbo1990
06-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I agree, i think it's essential to have a left-footer at LB for tacking, passing & clearing purposes, but as for midfield and the wing I don't think it's that essential. We have all seen the likes of Robben and Messi come in from the right side and shoot with their amazing leg pegs, so maybe our players can try something similar, like how Salako did back in the day?

Interesting thread though, having balance and options are important.

Absolution
06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I think should just wait and see.

Excowboy
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Looks like Stephen Jordan is a recognised left-back. Not sure which foot he prefers.

EDIT - FM says he's a lefty

GreatGonzo
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM
webbo, it is indeed possible to cut in, Ambrose did that some of the time playing on the left last season, the trouble is it make you predictable.

Adriano was one of the best prospect striker in world football a few years ago but even when Inter came to us in a pre season friendly it was evident how easy he was to defend. He was ALL left foot, and if you kept him on his right he would all but give you the ball voluntarily.

Take Glen Johnson as an opposite, he bombs down the right and can deliver good balls into the box from there, however he has shown his ability to cut in and be devesatiting with his left as well.

We don't hae any right footed players who are good enough with their left to cause real danger IMO, so defenders can just show them down the line all day long and 9 out of 10 times they will not put a dangerous ball in.

igl
06-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Adriano was one of the best prospect striker in world football a few years ago but even when Inter came to us in a pre season friendly it was evident how easy he was to defend. He was ALL left foot, and if you kept him on his right he would all but give you the ball voluntarily.

Whilst I see where you're coming from on this and I agree that we probably need to play a leftie on the left of midfield, choosing Adriano as an example is madness. The bloke has scored 147 goals in 301 appearances for club and country. If that is someone who is easy to defend against then I will be happy to see someone who is ALL right foot play on the left!

webbo1990
06-07-2010, 01:12 PM
webbo, it is indeed possible to cut in, Ambrose did that some of the time playing on the left last season, the trouble is it make you predictable.

Take Glen Johnson as an opposite, he bombs down the right and can deliver good balls into the box from there, however he has shown his ability to cut in and be devesatiting with his left as well.

We don't hae any right footed players who are good enough with their left to cause real danger IMO, so defenders can just show them down the line all day long and 9 out of 10 times they will not put a dangerous ball in.
Well what can we do, it is the Championship and two-footed players are sparse. However, so are decent defenders who can continiuously show the attacker down his 'bad' side, etc.

Messi/Robben-type players who cut in are predictable and infuriate me at their lack of a plan B and the way they lose the ball, but its all part and parcel of finding the key to unlock a defence. Maybe the answer is to have the full back over-lapping, when possible.

In any case, the next few weeks/months will see what options we bring in, if any.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
06-07-2010, 01:16 PM
This highlights a very valid talking point.

There is absolutely no excuse for players not to able to use both feet. End of.

Paid 000's of pounds per week and they cant even use both feet - it's inexcusable.

As a kid I practised, practised and practised to get my weaker left foot operating as well as my right. What the hell do they do at Academy's and youth training schools these days ?

unbelieveable. :veryangry

webbo1990
06-07-2010, 01:45 PM

Paid 000's of pounds per week and they cant even use both feet - it's inexcusable.

As a kid I practised, practised and practised to get my weaker left foot operating as well as my right. What the hell do they do at Academy's and youth training schools these days ?

Agreed - how often do we see idiots trying to keep a ball in play with their strong foot, even though it's obviously not the correct one too use in that particular instance. Michael Owen does it quite a lot, but a lot of others do too.

On the other hand, being on the training ground is nothing compared to a football match with 20,000 watching live and potentially millions on tv.

While watching Ghana miss that 120th min penalty, I overheard someone say to their mate "I bet he scores 10 out of 10 penalties in training, how come he's missed now?"

GreatGonzo
06-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Whilst I see where you're coming from on this and I agree that we probably need to play a leftie on the left of midfield, choosing Adriano as an example is madness. The bloke has scored 147 goals in 301 appearances for club and country. If that is someone who is easy to defend against then I will be happy to see someone who is ALL right foot play on the left!

Whilst his stats appear good when compared to the players he was playing alongside they are not as good. Vagner Love who he played with at Flamengo for example scored better in the same side (106 goals in 203 apps for club and country as well) He was almost identical to Mutu at Parma who is not as prolific as many European strikers.

For his height (6'2) speed, and technique, i thought he would be the world best striker when he burst onto the scene. You can defend him though, but if you fail to, then he will punish you as he is a brilliant finisher with his left.

Haven't seen him [play in a few years so he may have course also worked on his right foot ;)

dannyboy1807
06-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Frank Quedrue is a free transfer he went on loan to Col U last season.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-07-2010, 04:44 PM
I've been very impressed with the Netherlands at the World Cup. Perhaps we could bid for one of their lesser known players for this weakened positioned in the team, therefore being able to pass (to) the Dutchy on the left hand side?

jams1234
06-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Ambrose is actually very good with his left.

chatham_eagle
06-07-2010, 04:49 PM

As a left-winger in my youth I was pretty actively discouraged from using my left foot at 2 different clubs (not due to lack of crossing ability either). Whether this is an anomoly or not I don't know, but there seems to be a distinct lack of decent home-grown left footed players.

Brummie Allan
06-07-2010, 04:51 PM
We have Wright in to play at LB possibly but does anyone know if he is left or right footed?

GB said on Talk Sport this morning he can play left or right back so that's a bonus

Crunchie
06-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Perhaps we could bid for one of their lesser known players for this weakened positioned in the team, therefore being able to pass (to) the Dutchy on the left hand side?

There was no one to my left hand side. I had the giggles for a bit, but I feel like sleeping it off with some mellow tunes with friends.

TOOPM
06-07-2010, 07:18 PM

I've often thought this is an even bigger problem for left footers. I can recall a number of afternoons where it felt like all I'd seen was Michael Hughes or Nick Carle spinning round in circles trying desperately to get the ball onto their left, rather than playing a simple 5 yard pass with their right.

This seems even more remarkable with Carle given that, when he actually bothered to use his right, it wasn't that bad.

Of course, this all pales in comparison to seeing Mark Kennedy fail to complete straight forward passes with his left when most sunday league players would have managed it with either foot.:veryangry

Anyway - back on topic - I've read (though admitedly not seen) that Dorman has a reputation for playing on the left and cutting inside. I actually think, if we want a player who can beat the man on either side and get in a position to cross, Djilali might be worth a try.

dufski13
06-07-2010, 09:15 PM

None of that has stopped Robben having a pretty fine carreer, but he only uses his right foot for standing. Can't barely kick a ball with his right, as shown tonight. But I do agree, it'd be good to have some balance in the side. We've been rather lop-sided sinceJulian Gray left.

old geezer
06-07-2010, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=chatham_eagle]As a left-winger in my youth I was pretty actively discouraged from using my left foot at 2 different clubs (not due to lack of crossing ability either). Whether this is an anomoly or not I don't know, but there seems to be a distinct lack of decent home-grown left footed players.[/QUO

Wells that's pretty disgraceful to be fair. Any youth set up, amateur or professional that discouraged that is not worth the time of day.

GreatGonzo
06-07-2010, 10:15 PM
None of that has stopped Robben having a pretty fine carreer, but he only uses his right foot for standing. Can't barely kick a ball with his right, as shown tonight. But I do agree, it'd be good to have some balance in the side. We've been rather lop-sided sinceJulian Gray left.

Indeed Messi is 1 footed too a lot of the time. The trouble is these players 1 foot are just about the best in the world. We cannot afford that kind of player, so would be nice to have the option to have people going down the outside and then switch them over to cut inside etc.

Avoids being 1 dimensional.

CPFC_DAVE77
06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Indeed Messi is 1 footed too a lot of the time. The trouble is these players 1 foot are just about the best in the world. We cannot afford that kind of player, so would be nice to have the option to have people going down the outside and then switch them over to cut inside etc.

Avoids being 1 dimensional.

As mentioned elsewhere Whaley is available again I would like to see us give him a chance.

GreatGonzo
07-07-2010, 07:54 AM
As mentioned elsewhere Whaley is available again I would like to see us give him a chance.

Consistntly dropped down divisions, so there has to be massive question marks over him.

Psychokiller
07-07-2010, 08:10 AM
As a left-winger in my youth I was pretty actively discouraged from using my left foot at 2 different clubs (not due to lack of crossing ability either). Whether this is an anomoly or not I don't know, but there seems to be a distinct lack of decent home-grown left footed players.
That's because you have two left feet. It was them being diplomatic. :hi:

cockles
07-07-2010, 08:22 AM
.... We have all seen the likes of Robben and Messi come in from the right side and shoot with their amazing leg pegs, so maybe our players can try something similar, like how Salako did back in the day?

In an ideal world yes. Trouble is these are all top class players. JS was one of only a handful of genuinely 2-footed players I've ever seen over the years at Palace. JS could barely be read by defences as he could go outside/inside, shoot from distance, cross from deep or get to the byline. Players like that don't grow on trees. You can't simply say do what Salad did to our squad now.

That said, it can be developed over time. I hope that Johnny becomes heavily involved at Palace or the academy, as I don't think I've seen better all round methodical technique from any player.

Back in the 80's he was of course a YTSer - and not from an academy. I'm not sure who coached it all into him. Possibly he peiced it together himself mainly from the pros we had at the time... Mark Bright, Ian Wright.....Phil Barber ahem...

Psychokiller
07-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Back in the 80's he was of course a YTSer - and not from an academy. I'm not sure who coached it all into him. Possibly he peiced it together himself mainly from the pros we had at the time... Mark Bright, Ian Wright.....Phil Barber ahem...
Definitely Coppell. I used to go and watch the reserves at Tooting & Mitcham's old Sandy Lane ground and Sir Steve would often be there barking instructions out to Salako - "White line, John, keep on the white line" :)

cockles
07-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Definitely Coppell. I used to go and watch the reserves at Tooting & Mitcham's old Sandy Lane ground and Sir Steve would often be there barking instructions out to Salako - "White line, John, keep on the white line" :)

Right. I used to sometimes watch the training in the early/mid 90's by which time Salako was the finished article. I actually copied some of his finishing technique for my own game and thanks to him could get fast crosses consistently on target with either foot from either wing. I've since taught that on to a few kids who got it too. Hence, I can only imagine what good Salako himself can do as a coach!

rhynoeagle
07-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Consistntly dropped down divisions, so there has to be massive question marks over him.

I think thats not because his ability changed. I think he chose the wrong club to move to. He joined League 1 Norwich of us in the Championship, Then the manager left and he never played for them again. And when you dont play, you wont get noticed and therfore only the lower league teams showed interest in him.

I'd be happy to give him a chance on a free - Low wages.

sirdougie
07-07-2010, 10:16 AM
"White line, John, keep on the white line" :)

One of my favourite football sayings is "get some chalk on your boots!". Why coaches can't just say "stay out wide" is beyond me.

webbo1990
07-07-2010, 10:50 AM
In an ideal world yes. Trouble is these are all top class players. JS was one of only a handful of genuinely 2-footed players I've ever seen over the years at Palace. JS could barely be read by defences as he could go outside/inside, shoot from distance, cross from deep or get to the byline. Players like that don't grow on trees. You can't simply say do what Salad did to our squad now.

That said, it can be developed over time. I hope that Johnny becomes heavily involved at Palace or the academy, as I don't think I've seen better all round methodical technique from any player.

True, i made that point earlier in the thread, that this is the C'ship and two-footed players are sparse.

Having JS involved, even part-time, would be brilliant. You can see when he's interviewed and/or when covering a game on SSN, that he's a well-educated guy, in and out of football.

He's the most amazing crosser of the ball with both feet that i've ever seen, I think the way he used to whip the ball in and end up on his arse actually made the cross.

Psychokiller
07-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Both Colin and Mick Jones said that they thought that Lee Hills would be a much better player further up the park in a left midfield position, though I seem to remember him not impressing in the couple of games he played there. I wonder what Burley will think of Hills once he gets over his injury?

NZsparky
07-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I thought we were signing, Pass the Dutchi

orp pisshead1
08-07-2010, 12:26 AM
I thought we were signing, Pass the Dutchi
:D

Steve_CPFC
08-07-2010, 12:28 AM
I agree, i think it's essential to have a left-footer at LB for tacking, passing & clearing purposes, but as for midfield and the wing I don't think it's that essential. We have all seen the likes of Robben and Messi come in from the right side and shoot with their amazing leg pegs, so maybe our players can try something similar, like how Salako did back in the day?

Interesting thread though, having balance and options are important.

They are both left footed :p

Sleeping Giant
17-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Certainly at this level, in an attacking sense, football is a simple game. Big man, little man up top and balance on both sides and you will be up there contending.
I've harped on on these boards for 6 years since Gray left, that we've on very few occasions, had a genuine left sided midfielder in the same side as two such front men. As a club we've been incompetent in this respect, i've hardly heard the fans discussing it and feel we've had what we've deserved in terms of a lack of success. I've lost interest in attending to my usual level over the period because of it. I hope Burley can at last be the one to resolve this (though in doing so no doubt we'll be lacking on the right ;) )

Ron Dogers
17-07-2010, 11:52 AM
It is not just attacking we lack a natural wide keft sided player of either preferred foot - Natural wide mae also know how to help the full back out and just as Clint didn't offer much going forward (maybe under NW orders?) he really didn't get a lot of help and spent much of his time at SP 1 V 2 when defending.

Same on the right as well, playing central players wide does unbalence a team as it seems wide players can tuck in to play the compressed game many, NW teams for example, play nowdays but central mids have trouble offering anything wide, certainly not the crosses from the by-line that blokes like Lee and crowds love to see.

SteveyHawking
18-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I'd like to see us go for Matt Phillips from Wycombe. He can play on either flank and is in the England U19 squad with Nathaniel and has won the League 2 apprentice of the year award.

Woosie
18-07-2010, 12:06 PM
I'd like to see us go for Matt Phillips from Wycombe. He can play on either flank and is in the England U19 squad with Nathaniel and has won the League 2 apprentice of the year award.

Too expensive, and premier league clubs are looking at him for 1million.

SteveyHawking
18-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Too expensive, and premier league clubs are looking at him for 1million.

We'd be able to get him for a lot less than that. As far as I'm aware Wycombe have only had tentative offers from League 1 sides and 300K would be an offer too good to turn down.

Now granted we're only going for freebies at the mo but we can but dream!

Woosie
18-07-2010, 01:36 PM
We'd be able to get him for a lot less than that. As far as I'm aware Wycombe have only had tentative offers from League 1 sides and 300K would be an offer too good to turn down.

Now granted we're only going for freebies at the mo but we can but dream!

Really? Do you think so? If you're right then I think that it would be a massive achievement to sign him, and if we did have 300k that we could spend then someone we should look at.