PDA

View Full Version : Clyne to stay (old thread from last summer)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Il Padrino
08-07-2010, 10:00 AM
TEEN star Nathaniel Clyne has been told he will not be leaving Crystal Palace for at least another 12 months.
Eagles boss George Burley has ended speculation over the future of the England U19 international - who is a target for Birmingham - by saying there is no way he will be allowed to leave Selhurst Park.
There is no doubt that when any Premier League club is interested its a wee bit distracting for the boy but hes focused that hell be with us next season, said Burley.
Ive had a chat with the boy and he knows where Im coming from. He needs at least another season - and hopefully longer - before he even thinks about going to a Premier League team. We want to keep him.
Don't miss tomorrow's South London Press for the full story.

EagleSE24
08-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Woo hoo! Nathaniel is an Eagle, la la la la.

nathe
08-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Things just keep getting better and better

Il Padrino
08-07-2010, 10:06 AM

I know. Not right is it? :D

Jimmy Eagle
08-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Fecking brilliant news!!!

ardeo
08-07-2010, 10:07 AM
We've got Nathaniel Clyne, we've got Nathaniel Clyne

:lux: :lux: :lux:

hamge
08-07-2010, 10:09 AM

kolinkins
08-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Nathaniel's an eagle
Nathaniel's an eagle
La la la la

Beckenham Boy
08-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Good news!!

When is his contract up? IF he does leave in 12 months we need to get a good fee.

Bellyman
08-07-2010, 10:14 AM
sounds better like this: -

ClynE is an Eagle
ClynE is an Eagle

LA LA LA LA

Beanie
08-07-2010, 10:14 AM
I wonder if certain people will now believe that when Steve Parish said we don't have to sell, he meant we don't have to sell. GB has now confirmed that probably our three most saleable players - Speroni, Ambrose and Clyne - are going precisely nowhere.

Bobsta
08-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Hate to be a negative nelly but to me, that sounds like nat has asked to leave and gb has told him he's got to stay for this season, when does his contract expire?

nathe
08-07-2010, 10:19 AM
I know. Not right is it? :D

:D

Supporting palace is a rollercoaster and at the moment everything seems very stable.

FORZA SELHURST
08-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Clyyyyne, is on our side.

Yes he is.

Shipp Ahoy!
08-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Alright who thought we would be looking at our club in this position 2-3 months ago???

Unbelievable, we have no debts, we own Selhurst, we are keeping Speroni, Clyne, Ambrose... if we sell anyone it will be for very good amounts of money which we be reinvested in the squad, we have a great manager who has a track record of success (promotion and even uefa qualification!), wages available and so far some great signings which are terrific free pieces of business :eek:

There HAS to be a catch somewhere... surely???

Alright admit it who sold their soul to the devil? :o

EastBerksEagle
08-07-2010, 10:22 AM
:lux: This George Burley fellow is really growing on me

Psychokiller
08-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Hate to be a negative nelly but to me, that sounds like nat has asked to leave and gb has told him he's got to stay for this season, when does his contract expire?
Nope, unlike certain players who've come through our youth system, Nathaniel has a decent family behind him looking out for his best interests. He knows he's a lot better off playing every week at Selhurst than sitting on the bench at some Premiershit club. Plus he's a South London lad and not looking to leave his family yet.

Sunny Fan
08-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Great stuff. And he's still got two years left on his contract so there's no pressure to extend his deal yet as there is with Darren.

webbo1990
08-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Nope, unlike certain players who've come through our youth system, Nathaniel has a decent family behind him looking out for his best interests. He knows he's a lot better off playing every week at Selhurst than sitting on the bench at some Premiershit club. Plus he's a South London lad and not looking to leave his family yet.
Here, here! This one seems to have a sensible head on his shoulders.

Well done too to GB, for nipping it in the bud early doors.

Not been this happy about CP in a long while!

Gooders
08-07-2010, 10:29 AM

Ditto.

Stigma
08-07-2010, 10:32 AM
GAO:)

Eddie'S Dad
08-07-2010, 11:39 AM
sounds better like this: -

ClynE is an Eagle
ClynE is an Eagle

LA LA LA LA

Clyney is an Eagle
Clyney is an Eagle
Na na na na
Na na na na

KungFuCharlie
08-07-2010, 11:46 AM
How long is his contract?

I hope 'the boy' stays for longer.

Lords Eagle
08-07-2010, 11:49 AM
There HAS to be a catch somewhere... surely???

The catch comes when we wake up :D

limited_edition
08-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I wonder if certain people will now believe that when Steve Parish said we don't have to sell, he meant we don't have to sell. GB has now confirmed that probably our three most saleable players - Speroni, Ambrose and Clyne - are going precisely nowhere.Thank you once again, Mssrs Parish and Long.

Ant1982
08-07-2010, 12:12 PM
This is excellent.

I think with what's going on with the England setup at the moment, more young players need to realise the important of developing in a side which allows them to grow.

Get Jules on a long contract and this summer is pretty perfect. Delighted :D

Chris K
08-07-2010, 12:26 PM

You think? We've not signed a new player in 2 days now, personally i'm getting a bit concerned

adrenalin john
08-07-2010, 12:29 PM
I genuinely think this is good news for Clynne too, he needs a consistent standout season to ensure when does go to the premier league (who knows maybe with us) he goes for big money and is played regularly.

At the moment he would go for small money and kick around the reserves/youth team

Potentially he has the ability to play for England. A couple of solid seasons in the Championship, developing physically and mentally and absolutely mastering every winger he comes up against is what he should be concentrating on.

As one of the finest full backs of his era, I hope Burley can really help the boy kick on.

NRM the 2nd
08-07-2010, 12:31 PM
You think? We've not signed a new player in 2 days now, personally i'm getting a bit concerned

Be fair we would have but he got run over :D

nathe
08-07-2010, 12:36 PM
As one of the finest full backs of his era, I hope Burley can really help the boy kick on.

He will also learn from Dean Austin. As long as it's not the art of looking up, spotting the runner and then slicing the ball into touch.

howard
08-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Bostock & Ashley P Robinson are good examples as to why the likes of Clyne should be persuaded by family/agents etc to stay put.Big money can = big heads.

CPFC_R_GREAT
08-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Yer and the last one we tried to sign got hit by a truck.

Warnock was driving the truck is my guess!

ForestGateEagle
08-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Bostock & Ashley P Robinson are good examples as to why the likes of Clyne should be persuaded by family/agents etc to stay put.Big money can = big heads.

Should have an interesting chat with Bostock at the U 19 tournament about this!

deftones_eagle
08-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Brilliant news.

Hedgehog
08-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I hope 'the boy' stays for longer.
Well a wee bit longer anyway.

telodaja
08-07-2010, 12:51 PM

Think it is the complete opposite GB is simply putting an end to any enquiries from other clubs and speculation from newspapers. As others have said Clyne seems to be a mature intelligent young man with good advisors. It's obvious to anyone that he is better off staying here and progressing naturally rather than rotting away playing the odd League Cup game at some Premier club. GB was one of the most cultured full backs of his time and I can see Clyne developing even more under his tutelage.

Jon_C-Pal
08-07-2010, 12:54 PM
i never saw ashley cole play for palace, does clyne show the same class as he did when he was here. It would be so refreshing to see a product of our youth team play for a top for team week in week out in stead of just rotting in the reserves or playing bit parts in premier league relegation battles.

eaglesally
08-07-2010, 12:57 PM

Yes he is.

Ace - will happily sing along to that!

Freddy Kurz
08-07-2010, 12:59 PM
The big test for Palace will be persuading the player to sign a worthwhile
extension to his existing contract, over the next few months.

Beanie
08-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Unlikely - this is the lad who annoyed the Administrator by turning down a move to the Premiership in January. Seems highly unlikley he's less happy now than he was then. Think it's just a young lad who isn't after the big bucks too fast.

Kipungu
08-07-2010, 01:04 PM
As much of a legend that Butterfield is, I dunno whether his presence might have hindered Clynes development a bit last season, as Butts got picked for a lot of games last year that I thought wouldnt have made much difference if it had been Clyne instead. Hopefully Clyne sees this as his season to really shine, hes got the number 1 RB spot, its allt here for him to take, and when the right oppurtunity comes along, wish him well for the future.

nellis
08-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Nathaniel Clyne is all mine all mine,
Nathaniel Clyne is all mine,
COME ON!
Nathaniel Clyne is all mine all mine,
Nathaniel Clyne is all mine!

Nork1
08-07-2010, 01:08 PM
:lux::lux::lux::lux::lux:

Jim Cannon
08-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Not necessarily. Sounds like GB has simply explained to him that 1. we will not be rushed or forced into selling him and 2. it would be far better for his progress if he stays here for another season. Which is absolutely right unless he wants to be another Bostock.

Freddy Kurz
08-07-2010, 01:09 PM
i never saw ashley cole play for palace, does clyne show the same class as he did when he was here. It would be so refreshing to see a product of our youth team play for a top for team week in week out in stead of just rotting in the reserves or playing bit parts in premier league relegation battles.

Not quite, but he certainly looks to be moving in the right direction. Cole
showed quite outstanding ability, consistency and maturity in his 14 game
loan spell from Arsenal, but he was then nearly 2 years older than Clyne
was last season.

Think GB is absolutely right and that Nathaniel will benefit greatly by gaining
another season or two's experience with Palace.

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
08-07-2010, 01:11 PM
i never saw ashley cole play for palace, does clyne show the same class as he did when he was here.

Ah yes, I remember it well.........

Never seen before or since a player at Selhurst showing so much extra class and ability than anyone else on the park. Nate's good with a terrific future, but Cole was simply phenomenal.

Gark Moldberg
08-07-2010, 01:22 PM
As much of a legend that Butterfield is, I dunno whether his presence might have hindered Clynes development a bit last season, as Butts got picked for a lot of games last year that I thought wouldnt have made much difference if it had been Clyne instead. Hopefully Clyne sees this as his season to really shine, hes got the number 1 RB spot, its allt here for him to take, and when the right oppurtunity comes along, wish him well for the future.

But that is in Clyne's favour. He is still growing and developing and I think it will still be bad for him personally if he is playing every week this season.

brooklynlou
08-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Translation: He's giving us a year to get promoted. If we're in the EPL next year, he signs. If we're still in the CCC, he gets sold to an EPL club.

Granada allover
08-07-2010, 01:46 PM

Yes he is.
:lux:

Beanie
08-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Translation: He's giving us a year to get promoted. If we're in the EPL next year, he signs. If we're still in the CCC, he gets sold to an EPL club.
Whats the EPL? Was sure he'd go to a Premiership side.

Celestial Empire
08-07-2010, 02:49 PM

Actually, if/when he does go, he would be well advised to look at a move to a top European club. Our Prem football culture is just all wrong - it just corrupts young lads, overplays them, teaches them lots of bad habits, then spits them out again after a few years.

brooklynlou
08-07-2010, 03:00 PM

For us Yanks, the Premier League is referred to as the EPL (English Premier League).

Braders
08-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Good call Nathaniel, and thanks CPFC 2010, if the boy goes eventually, it will be for big money!!:love:

webbo1990
08-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Unlikely - this is the lad who annoyed the Administrator by turning down a move to the Premiership in January. Seems highly unlikley he's less happy now than he was then. Think it's just a young lad who isn't after the big bucks too fast.
I would love to have seen Brenda's face when Clyne said "No it's ok, i'll stick around mate. Cheers!"

Nelson Muntz
08-07-2010, 03:24 PM
:p

Seaside Eagle
08-07-2010, 03:34 PM
NATHANIEL IS OURS
NATHANIEL IS OURS
**** OFF NEIL WARNOCK!
NATHANIEL IS OURS!

We could also do this with Speroni and Ambrose next season. This will be a great song to get going when we play them, we could make it last ages with all the players he has tried to steal!

NateEagle
08-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Never seen before or since a player at Selhurst showing so much extra class and ability than anyone else on the park. Nate's good with a terrific future, but Cole was simply phenomenal.

Lombardo?? He was so far ahead of everyone else on the pitch...would usually wander through the opposition team from one end of the pitch to the other to then lay it off to Clinton or someone similar who would more than likely proceed to miss it :D

rainbow_child
08-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Hopefully when he does leave is will be for silly money to reward CPFC2010 :p

GanbareWashi
08-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Lombardo?? He was so far ahead of everyone else on the pitch...would usually wander through the opposition team from one end of the pitch to the other to then lay it off to Clinton or someone similar who would more than likely proceed to miss it :D

Good call, I'm sure sometimes our players just stood there watching him as if he was playing in a different game. He would then pass to someone and they would snap out of their trance and panic. He really was a class apart.

Heb 7:4
08-07-2010, 05:27 PM

You never watched Lombardo embarrassing the shit out of everyone else on the pitch after we got relegated?

I used to watch slack jawed thinking "what the **** is he doing playing for us"!

Anyway, well chuffed about Clyne :)

Heb 7:4
08-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Ah. I should have kept reading before posting! :)

Sunny Fan
08-07-2010, 05:32 PM
He teamed up with Bruce Dyer, it was hilarious:)

thereichstuff
08-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Good call Nathaniel, and thanks CPFC 2010, if the boy goes eventually, it will be for big money!!:love: How long left on his contract ? is this the time to offer him a new improved contract so we can protect ourselfs when nat moves ?

cpfcfan1
08-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Good news keeps on coming

Great news :)

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
08-07-2010, 06:35 PM

Never seen before or since a player (with the possible exception of Lombardo) at Selhurst showing so much extra class and ability than anyone else on the park. Nate's good with a terrific future, but Cole was simply phenomenal.

Alright alright........EFA :)

glaziers fan
08-07-2010, 06:38 PM

Blame Warnock, not Butts.

This is ONLY good news if this manager has the cuts to play the youngsters like Clyne. I expect him to make 35+ starts.

Jimbocpfc
08-07-2010, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=Seaside Eagle]NATHANIEL IS OURS
NATHANIEL IS OURS
**** OFF NEIL WARNOCK!
NATHANIEL IS OURS!

QUOTE]

Quality, gotta be his new song, or **** OFF YOU VULTURES!

cpfcfan1
11-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Tribal..

Crystal Palace whizkid Nathaniel Clyne wants a move to Birmingham City.

The Mirror says Clyne has told Crystal Palace and boss George Burley he wants to quit for Premier League Birmingham.

Brum had an opening bid of 750,000 for the right-back rejected. The two clubs have continued negotiations but been unable to agree a fee. Now though highly-rated Clyne has asked to go as he feels it is too good a chance to turn down.

http://tribalfootball.com/palace-youngster-clyne-wants-birmingham-move-965741

cpfcfan1
11-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Nathaniel Clyne has told Crystal Palace and boss George Burley he wants to quit for Premier League Birmingham.

Mirror Sport revealed on June 16 that City had an opening bid of 750,000 for the right-back rejected. The two clubs have continued negotiations but been unable to agree a fee. Now though highly-rated Clyne has asked to go as he feels it is too good a chance to turn down.

Burley has had a 100,000 bid for Ipswich midfield player Owen Garvan rejected.

He still hopes to land the 22-year-old Irishman, possibly initially on loan.
Click here to find out more!

Ipswich manager Roy Keane is asking 400,000 for a player he transfer listed last month.

But a compromise is likely to be reached as Keane has been told by owner Marcus Evans to reduce the wage bill before he can bring in new faces.

Burley, who once led Ipswich into the Premier League, said: “Owen hasn’t been getting a game and I’d like to take him. He’s a good passer of a ball and someone who I feel can do well for me. He’s my type of player.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Nathaniel-Clyne-has-demanded-a-move-to-Birmingham-after-Crystal-Palace-rejected-their-opening-bid-article521595.html

rhynoeagle
11-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Nathaniel Clyne has told Crystal Palace and boss George Burley he wants to quit for Premier League Birmingham.

Mirror Sport revealed on June 16 that City had an opening bid of 750,000 for the right-back rejected. The two clubs have continued negotiations but been unable to agree a fee. Now though highly-rated Clyne has asked to go as he feels it is too good a chance to turn down.

Burley has had a 100,000 bid for Ipswich midfield player Owen Garvan rejected.

He still hopes to land the 22-year-old Irishman, possibly initially on loan.
Click here to find out more!

Ipswich manager Roy Keane is asking 400,000 for a player he transfer listed last month.

But a compromise is likely to be reached as Keane has been told by owner Marcus Evans to reduce the wage bill before he can bring in new faces.

Burley, who once led Ipswich into the Premier League, said: “Owen hasn’t been getting a game and I’d like to take him. He’s a good passer of a ball and someone who I feel can do well for me. He’s my type of player.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Nathaniel-Clyne-has-demanded-a-move-to-Birmingham-after-Crystal-Palace-rejected-their-opening-bid-article521595.html

God, that paper winds me up. Good to see some quotes from Clyne there ! :rolleyes:

Bigger scum then Br*ighton !!!!! :veryangry

Whats the need to come up with such crap ?

sheepy
11-07-2010, 09:30 AM
God, that paper winds me up. Good to see some quotes from Clyne there ! :rolleyes:

Bigger scum then Br*ighton !!!!! :veryangry

Whats the need to come up with such crap ?

Wouldn't be suprised if true though. With Carr getting on he could well be a first team player in the premiership by the end of the season if me makes the move.

Obviously its all supposition but I wouldn't begrudge him a move. If he wants to become a full international he'll have to make a move like this sooner or later.

Would want considerably more than 1 million mind.

Brummie Allan
11-07-2010, 09:41 AM
What is it with these prats "tribalfootball.com" ,one day he's staying, the next day he's going, the next day he wants to go. How to unsettle a player in three easy moves.:veryangry

cpfcfan1
11-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Clyne is hardly going to give quotes to the Mirror, although it is most likely going to be rubbish it could also be true

ChristalPalace
11-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Wouldn't be suprised if true though. With Carr getting on he could well be a first team player in the premiership by the end of the season if me makes the move.

Obviously its all supposition but I wouldn't begrudge him a move. If he wants to become a full international he'll have to make a move like this sooner or later.

Would want considerably more than 1 million mind.

I suppose the main differences between Wolves and Brum are that Wolves' first choice right back is Kevin Foley, who is only 25, while Carr will be 34 by the end of August, and that Brum are rolling in Asian cash after Carson Yeung's takeover.

He would still have to live in Birmingham though. Nobody wants that.

Celestial Empire
11-07-2010, 10:41 AM
His agent feeling a bit short of 'readies' at the moment ?
These stories have to come from somewhere. Seems most of the footy world think we are bust and any nothing club can rip us off for peanuts.
McLeish had better start thinking in the 4-5M range if he is serious.
He probably has a limited budget (Leung is unlikely to just give Brum vast sums), and is trying to get a high quality player for a rip-off price.

glaziers fan
11-07-2010, 10:48 AM
We hindered his progress by playing Butts for the majority of last season.

I'd want reassurance that I was the first-choice right back before considering staying.

ChristalPalace
11-07-2010, 10:51 AM

He probably has a limited budget (Leung is unlikely to just give Brum vast sums), and is trying to get a high quality player for a rip-off price.

I think Clyne's agent is his uncle or something like that. That means little as we found out with a certain JB though.

Brum have already spent 6m on 6 ft 8 in Nicola Zigic from the sinking ship that is Valencia, so they're not short of cash by any means.

tasty_snacks
11-07-2010, 10:56 AM
These stories have to come from somewhere.

This is undoubtedly where the stories are coming from.

Brummie Allan
11-07-2010, 11:01 AM
He would still have to live in Birmingham though. Nobody wants that.:)....................good job I'm in Solihull then. Birmingham City own a couple of houses near me, maybe we'd be neighbours.

cpfcfan1
11-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Crystal Palace have turned down a new bid from Birmingham City for Nathaniel Clyne.

The Daily Mail says Birmingham City have had an improved bid of 1.25m for Crystal Palace right-back Clyne rejected.

Palace boss George Burley is working on convincing Clyne to remain with the Championship club next season.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/palace-reject-improved-birmingham-offer-clyne-966021

palacemaniac
11-07-2010, 11:42 AM
1,25 million :veryangry that's insulting

chatham_eagle
11-07-2010, 12:17 PM
1,25 million :veryangry that's insulting

Indeed, Sheffield United got 10M for Walker and Naughton didn't they? He'll end up going for 2M. Why do we always get screwed over?

The Gerry Queen
11-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Improved offer of 1.25m..... from 750K. This story is caught in a time warp and if BCFC think that the improved offer is tempting then that confirms it.
If they were starting at 2.5m then it would seem more credible but would also be equally fruitless for them.

Perhaps NC's agent and Uncle thinks the season ticket tittle tattle is grounds enough to put pressure on the club. CPFC2010 may well want more ST's sold but they aren't in the business of under selling our biggest asset as Alex McLeish has found out.

NathanCPFCD
11-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Indeed, Sheffield United got 10M for Walker and Naughton didn't they? He'll end up going for 2M. Why do we always get screwed over?

Why does one article from the mirror and a couple of rehash stories from tribalfootball etc start us thinking that Clyne will go again. He's under contract and Burley said that he is staying. Many people on here who are "in the know" have also said he will be starting the season with us.

I think Clyne, Speroni and Ambrose all starting the season with Palace will be enough to show other teams we will no longer get f*cked over and if Clyne is to go in January it will be for a respectable fee of around 3-4+ million, if he has a good start to the season.

I agree his development was stunted by Butterfield's presence in many of the teams but with the right manager in place (which it is) and the right team to support him and allow him to flourish (which it will be - hopefully), Clyne can become a top top player and I'm sure an England regular.

I have faith that Clyne will do the right thing. Unlike Bostock he has family and agents around him that want the right thing for his development rather than just for the money. I think promise of first team football will tempt him to stay, but at Birmingham could also tempt him to leave.

brooklynlou
11-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Clyne has 2 years left on his contract, why is this even a conversation?

Unless the club is desperate for money, (which atm it thankfully isn't) we are due at least 1 season out of him before we are forced to make a decision on him.

Best case scenario - we get promoted, he signs new contract
Medium case scenario - we don't get promoted but he plays a full season and more clubs have a chance to see him and his price goes up.
Worst case scenario - we sell him now

Why are we letting his agent and Brum force us to swallow the worst case scenario?

ForestGateEagle
11-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Clyne will have plenty of time to talk to Bostock at the Under 19s about the foolishness of moving too soon.

Even Redknap has said that Boskock could have done with 18 more months learning his trade at Palace before going to the Premier. Burley is saying the same.

Clyne was strong and sensible enough not to move when Guilfoyle was trying to cash in on him in January, why should he change his mind now?

As a matter of interest, has anybody every traced the accuracy hit rate of "transfer rumours" in the press? I would imagine that Spurs would have a first team squad of 250 by now,if they are all taken at face value.

For the most part the rumours consist of lazy journos recycling old rubbish and agents talking up and unsettling "their" players, hoping for a cut of any action.

Stavros 69
11-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Burm go and **** yourselves. He's going no where.

KungFuCharlie
11-07-2010, 01:29 PM
I think Burley is realising that this year, in this league, 2mill will go a long long way to building a team that'll challenge.

I think Clyne is brilliant. But do we need a 2mill right back? Or could we use that money to build a stronger team all round? I'm not saying one way or the other, but clearly its a debate, and not just a 'Not for sale' situation.

Also - if they want him as a 'long-term replacement' - why not buy him, loan him back, with a top-up fee if we get promoted?

andy m
11-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I really hope that if he ends up going for 2m ish then people accept that this was the probably the right thing to do. The economy being as it is the day's of 10m for a teenage Championship full back are gone, at least for the time being. In addition, 2m is a lot of money, and we've lost a lot of players. We might have ourselves a decent transfer budget for the loss of just one more.

I don't like the idea of selling our best youngsters at all, but we're not a Premiership team and we might well have to live with it.

elgin eagle
11-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Don't worry, its just more crap from James H, the Brighton supporting, Mirror reporter.

glaziers fan
11-07-2010, 02:24 PM

We didn't under SJ.

3m Fitz Hall
8.6m AJ

The key is to get the players premiership exposure.

orp pisshead1
11-07-2010, 02:24 PM
3-4 mill is not respectfull at all, opening bid of 5 mill should be just for starters imo.

glaziers fan
11-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I really hope that if he ends up going for 2m ish then people accept that this was the probably the right thing to do. The economy being as it is the day's of 10m for a teenage Championship full back are gone, at least for the time being. In addition, 2m is a lot of money, and we've lost a lot of players. We might have ourselves a decent transfer budget for the loss of just one more.

I don't like the idea of selling our best youngsters at all, but we're not a Premiership team and we might well have to live with it.

With wages still at a high level, 2m is childs play. I agree about the fees for a full-back argument. That's why I'd play Clyne as holding mid. The most fashionable position atm and Clyne would be superb there.

You HAVE to play your talented youngsters. There's no point keeping them rested extensively so that you prolong their careers for a few years. We simply won't reap the benefits for that.

917L
11-07-2010, 02:27 PM
. That's why I'd play Clyne as holding mid.

You are truly mental

Reps AJ
11-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Don't worry, its just more crap from James H, the Brighton supporting, Mirror reporter.

Is this the third story from the same journalist at the same paper in the space of about 4 days? Does he have nothing better to do with his time?

palacemaniac
11-07-2010, 02:36 PM
He is

bern5161
11-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Is this the third story from the same journalist at the same paper in the space of about 4 days? Does he have nothing better to do with his time?

its also the 4th club after sunderland wolves and villa that he has reported clyne going to in the last year :clown:

adrenalin john
11-07-2010, 04:17 PM
With wages still at a high level, 2m is childs play. I agree about the fees for a full-back argument. That's why I'd play Clyne as holding mid. The most fashionable position atm and Clyne would be superb there.

You HAVE to play your talented youngsters. There's no point keeping them rested extensively so that you prolong their careers for a few years. We simply won't reap the benefits for that.

He is a right back, but it would be interesting to see whether he could play that role.

andy m
11-07-2010, 04:18 PM

You'd play him out of position just to inflate his value?

2m is not "child's play", it is a shed load of cash. This idea that its not very much "in football" is what nearly drove us out of business. Not only must we be extremely careful about spending such a huge sum in future, we must be extremely careful about turning it down for ANY of our current squad.

I'd love to see Clyne fulfill his obvious potential at Palace. Equally I'd understand if the club's owners didn't feel they could turn a serious offer down.

Some people might need to be more realistic about what is "serious".

pete eagle
11-07-2010, 04:24 PM

You are a total mentalist.

Celestial Empire
11-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I think Clyne's agent is his uncle or something like that. That means little as we found out with a certain JB though.

Brum have already spent 6m on 6 ft 8 in Nicola Zigic from the sinking ship that is Valencia, so they're not short of cash by any means.

Depends what proportion of their budget that 6M is.

AJ's right boot
11-07-2010, 05:13 PM
He he you crazy!

Celestial Empire
11-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Clyne will have plenty of time to talk to Bostock at the Under 19s about the foolishness of moving too soon.

Even Redknap has said that Boskock could have done with 18 more months learning his trade at Palace before going to the Premier. Burley is saying the same.

Clyne was strong and sensible enough not to move when Guilfoyle was trying to cash in on him in January, why should he change his mind now?

As a matter of interest, has anybody every traced the accuracy hit rate of "transfer rumours" in the press? I would imagine that Spurs would have a first team squad of 250 by now,if they are all taken at face value.

For the most part the rumours consist of lazy journos recycling old rubbish and agents talking up and unsettling "their" players, hoping for a cut of any action.

But not in the case of Spurs. Redknapp has always worked by unsettling a large number of players, then seeing what happens.

NathanCPFCD
11-07-2010, 11:25 PM
3-4 mill is not respectfull at all, opening bid of 5 mill should be just for starters imo.

living in a dream world

FraserH
12-07-2010, 10:05 AM
it was reported in ssn this morning that mcleish is determined to sign clyne after initial offer was turned downed

Psychokiller
12-07-2010, 10:10 AM
He can start the bedding at 6m then the miserable ginger Rangers c nt!

ChristalPalace
12-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Clyne is not worth 2m. He is worth a lot more than that.

The Premier League are bringing in the 6+5 rule for English players this season, and so having Clyne in the squad will be very important to them.

deftones_eagle
12-07-2010, 10:25 AM
I really hope we keep him. I don't think we need to sell and gb said he wants to keep him. The lad is under contract and should stay at Palace. We've seen it so many times with youngsters at Palace, they NEED to stay for as long as possible and then move on.

AJ
12-07-2010, 10:30 AM

The Premier League are bringing in the 6+5 rule for English players this season, and so having Clyne in the squad will be very important to them.

I thought that had been scrapped or was that something similar to do with FIFA?

Jasper
12-07-2010, 10:32 AM

FIFA have scrapped that planned rule as it totally contraveines EU employment laws.
They annouced that it was not going ahead on the day the world cup started so it got very little press coverage. A good day to bury bad news.

Stavros 69
12-07-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm really confused, does Clyne actually want to go ??

Gooders
12-07-2010, 10:55 AM
I think it possible his head has been turned.

If Brum want him that badly they can pay a proper fee (2.5million+). Time to put up or shut up Mcleish.

sydnsteve
12-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Can't really blame him. Every player wants to play in the top flight, and they don't know when they could be injured. He stayed when we needed him and signed a contract, so if the fee is right (twice the reported 1.25 million quoted) I think we should let him go with our thanks.

cockles
12-07-2010, 02:50 PM
FIFA have scrapped that planned rule as it totally contraveines EU employment laws.
They annouced that it was not going ahead on the day the world cup started so it got very little press coverage. A good day to bury bad news.

Ah, I had missed that - but is no surprise.

Fifa & Uefa keep acting like they are above governments and continually are slapped back down. It's curious why the even bother repeated starting such schemes - when they always contradict with employment laws. Perhaps Blatter's nephew owns a sports law firm or something...

Celestial Empire
12-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Ah, I had missed that - but is no surprise.

Fifa & Uefa keep acting like they are above governments and continually are slapped back down. It's curious why the even bother repeated starting such schemes - when they always contradict with employment laws. Perhaps Blatter's nephew owns a sports law firm or something...

Platini is French, they tend to think EU law doesn't apply to them.:)

Maximus Dowieus
12-07-2010, 07:44 PM
When GB talked about Clynes move he did refer to it as if he had stopped it or refused to sanction which suggests that Clyne wants a move. Whether the Mirror story is now old news then we dont know.

I'm not sure it is a good thing to make a player stay that has set his heart on going. We are unlikely to see the best out of him if he is forced to stay. If he has been persuaded of the wisdom of staying and is happy with it, thats different.

glaziers fan
13-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Enough is enough.

CPFC2010, you really need to come out and say that he's worth 5m and tell Birmingham to put up or shut up.

I'm fed up of these unsettling bids that are paltry in value.

Jordan's Jacket
13-07-2010, 05:49 AM
I think 2m should do it

cpfcfan1
13-07-2010, 06:24 AM
http://www.tribalfootball.com/birmingham-bid-again-palace-fullback-clyne-969821

Birmingham City are ready to make an improved offer for Crystal Palace fullback Nathaniel Clyne.

The Daily Express says Birmingham are preparing an improved bid of 1.75million for Crystal Palace right-back Clyne.

Palace boss George Burley is desperate to keep hold of the talented youngster.

cockles
13-07-2010, 06:45 AM
[url]
The Daily Express says Birmingham are preparing an improved bid of 1.75million for Crystal Palace right-back Clyne.

Nowhere near enough. If he stayed with us for 2 years on his current good value contract and left on a free, we'd still be getting 1m+ compensation for him (by then at least U21 international) as I think we did for Routledge.

Madness to let him go for anything under 3m.

cpfcfan1
13-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Only way to stop this is either let him move on or slap a big price on his head to show people we are not going to let him go on the cheap

Mad Raschic Ken
13-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Only way to stop this is either let him move on or slap a big price on his head to show people we are not going to let him go on the cheap

Or get him signed up on a new contract. I have no idea what he's earning, but at his age he may well be on a much lower wage than other members of the first team squad. He / his agent may simply be angling for a pay rise.

cpfc4evandeva
13-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Always makes me laugh when people come on here and say how our players are worth less than they are.

Talk of 5mil is not that unrealistic. Whilst I agree it seems a hell of a lot for a Championship full back, you have to look at the current market. A year ago those lads from Sheffield United went for stupid money. That means that we should looking at getting 'stupid' money for Clyne.

Its like selling your house. If your next door neighbour overpriced his property and got a sale, you're not going to sell your place cheaper unless you're a mug.

Away
13-07-2010, 07:43 AM
I would have thought we're only likely to keep him for the length of his contract. So financially the judgement is when will he be most valuable? If we get less this time next year would it have been worth the loss to play him for one season when we're probably going to be mid-table anyway? Maybe two years and 1m from a tribunal is just as good. Or try to extend his contract.

But not taking a fee is the same as going out and spending that amount on a player.

No.16
13-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Bale 10m, naughton and walker 10m...anything less than 5m would be daylight robbery. We have always historically accepted small fees for players worth a lot more...2.5 for Ian wright was low two decades ago so why are we allowing these buffons from brum to unsettle Nat in the press...put 8m on his head, job done

Kai
13-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Palace always let their players away on the cheap and unless the new regime decides to finally play hardball with other clubs, they'll let him walk for less than he's worth.

How I wish that Palace, for once, could say: "the price is 8 million in cash (no installments) with lots of sell on clauses. Take it or leave it".

kolinkins
13-07-2010, 08:13 AM
We don't always undersell our players - we got 8.6m for AJ, which was a good fee for a CCC club. 3m for Fitz Hall was also very good, as was 2m for Watson (in the context of having 6 months left on his contract). I think SJ did well on fees, for all his other faults.

Clapham Grand
13-07-2010, 08:19 AM
We don't always undersell our players - we got 8.6m for AJ, which was a good fee for a CCC club. 3m for Fitz Hall was also very good, as was 2m for Watson (in the context of having 6 months left on his contract). I think SJ did well on fees, for all his other faults.
agree

Scotland's No9
13-07-2010, 08:34 AM
3m for Fitz Hall

This never fails to bring a smile to my face :)

Justin
13-07-2010, 09:08 AM
This never fails to bring a smile to my face :)

and was (is he still there?) on approx 18k a week at QPR.

glaziers fan
13-07-2010, 10:50 AM
agree

thirded.

Although SJ did lose the club transfer fees for Gray and Routledge by not offering them new deals quick enough, he did learn from this mistake.

cpfcben
13-07-2010, 11:14 AM
So Clapham Grand have you heard anything about Clyne handing in a transfer request?

cpfcben
13-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Clyne's value is only going to increase. A full season playing right back for us and better teams than Birmingham will be sniffing round him thus increasing his value.

rainbow_child
13-07-2010, 11:27 AM

Spot on.

GreatGonzo
13-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Bale 10m, naughton and walker 10m...anything less than 5m would be daylight robbery. We have always historically accepted small fees for players worth a lot more...2.5 for Ian wright was low two decades ago so why are we allowing these buffons from brum to unsettle Nat in the press...put 8m on his head, job done

First of all the figure you hear is not necessarily what is paid. 2.5 for Akinbiyi? Rubbish we paid far less than that but the potential fee could have risen to that figure but never got close.

In 91 when Wright was sold the World record had only just been pushed to 5.5m from 4.2m and i cannot find the record paid by an English club but it was the Italians who were the big spenders back then. How much do you think he should have been sold for to an English club?

Jammyknees
13-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Am I alone in getting an ickle bit worried about the size of our squad if this is all true

KungFuCharlie
13-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Am I alone in getting an ickle bit worried about the size of our squad if this is all true

Yes and no.

If this is true, then it'll free up plenty of money for further transfers.

If we can get players like Owen Garvan for, say 250k, and like Andy Dorman for free - then think how far 1.5 mill would go on say 4/5 players.

It goes back to the previous argument: Do we really need a 2m fullback?

Stavros 69
13-07-2010, 12:28 PM
He'll want out as soon as he returns from England.

eagle101
13-07-2010, 12:45 PM
He'll want out as soon as he returns from England.

I completely forgot he was away with England U19s... and we all know what happened to Routledge when he went away with England youth :(

Stavros 69
13-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I completely forgot he was away with England U19s... and we all know what happened to Routledge when he went away with England youth :(
Yip, he'll have his head turned. He prob already wants out. He'll want his dosh like all of them.

brooklynlou
13-07-2010, 01:01 PM

And we all know the illustrious career enjoyed by Wayne since that momentous decision. It took him five years and seven clubs before he somewhat cleaned up the mess from his joining Spurs.

Weedkiller
13-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Link (http://www.tribalfootball.com/birmingham-bid-again-palace-fullback-clyne-969821?)

Birmingham City are ready to make an improved offer for Crystal Palace fullback Nathaniel Clyne.

Palace boss George Burley is desperate to keep hold of the talented youngster.

I like the way the are upping their bids by 500k each time.

If they are serious, wait until they bid for 2.25 million, ask if they will go up to 2.75, if they say yes, great, if no get a deal for 2.5 million.

Oh, and we NEED to get a bonus if and when the boy makes his England debut.

LiamCPFC
13-07-2010, 01:53 PM
http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/8269347.Burley__We_are_not_thinking_of_selling_Cly ne/

ChristalPalace
13-07-2010, 02:03 PM
http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/8269347.Burley__We_are_not_thinking_of_selling_Cly ne/

Sounds to me like he wants to go.

Stavros 69
13-07-2010, 02:08 PM
he's off

brooklynlou
13-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Sounds to me like he wants to go.

Sounds like it. Once you need to talk to someone's mother it doesnt look good ...

CPFC_DAVE77
13-07-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't mean it from a personally selfish point of view, but I genuinely think he would be well served to stay another season. He is young, he will play Prem football at some point, with us maybe not. What he needs is games, he is playing CCC level football, and despite what that ginger bastard at Brum or anyone else might say, games in this division will build character, build strength and the desire to succeed.

If he has a blinder with us next season and we fail to reach the Prem, I would not begrudge him the opportunity to leave. I just feel he will do himself the world of good getting a few more games under his belt, with his mates and the club that has brought him this far.

Clyney will do well to note the progression of Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughten, each playing the majority of their football at this level having left for Spurs. If your gonna end up playing and training with CCC players, you may as well do it at a club that has your best interests at heart.

He's destined for big things IMHO; but not just yet.

Il Padrino
13-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Crystal Palace manager George Burley has warned Premiership clubs to stop trying to lure Nathaniel Clyne away from Selhurst Park.

Birmingham City are thought to have had a bid in excess of 1m turned down for the 19 year-old, who is in France with England U19s as they get set to begin their European Championships campaign on Sunday.

Burley though is hopeful he can convince Clyne, who turned down a move to Wolves in January, to stay in SE25 and not be tempted by the riches of the Premier League.

"I have spoken to Nathaniel and I am going to speak to his mother," he said.

"I really want the boy to stay as for his progression it is important to have another season with us.

"We are not thinking about selling him but the trouble is Premiership clubs turn people's heads and agents get involved.

"I think and hope he is going to stay with us and the club."

Discussions have begun with Darren Ambrose about extending his contract, which has a year to run, with the midfielder set to commit to Palace.

"He has said he would like to stay and we are talking to him about extending his contract," said Burley.

"At the moment that is where we are.

"He is a key player for us so we would like to get it tied down."

Croydon Guardian

ChristalPalace
13-07-2010, 02:32 PM
If he has a blinder with us next season and we fail to reach the Prem, I would not begrudge him the opportunity to leave. I just feel he will do himself the world of good getting a few more games under his belt, with his mates and the club that has brought him this far.

But that would also double or even triple his value, hence why McLeish doesn't want it.

To be honest I think the only way we're going to have Clyne here next season is if he's on loan from Birmingham.

Dingle
13-07-2010, 02:47 PM
F*ck off Birmingham.

That is all

kolinkins
13-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I'll feel very let down by him if he goes. He's quality, but not yet ready.

RDSdaEAGLE
13-07-2010, 03:08 PM
If I was George Burley (or any lower league side) I would seriously consider refusing any of my players permission to spend time with the national team set-up.

This is the third time in recent years where a young player has travelled with the England youth team set-up only for him to return with the intention of leaving Palace.

There are exceptions to the rule - Victor Moses seemed quite content to stay with the club having agreed a new contract - but I don't think the current international set-up is geared to protecting clubs like Palace's investment. It seems to me that these games are open season for agents.

EagleSE24
13-07-2010, 03:11 PM
If I was George Burley (or any lower league side) I would seriously consider refusing any of my players permission to spend time with the national team set-up.

This is the third time in recent years where a young player has travelled with the England youth team set-up only for him to return with the intention of leaving Palace.

There are exceptions to the rule - Victor Moses seemed quite content to stay with the club having agreed a new contract - but I don't think the current international set-up is geared to protecting clubs like Palace's investment. It seems to me that these games are open season for agents.
"Clyney - come and join me at Spurs. You never have to play AND you get a fat wedge".

I like to think he'll see through this. Look at the likes of Naughton and Walker. So highly rated in the Championship. Now rotting away...

ChristalPalace
13-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Palace did exactly that a year ago when they didn't let VicMo go to the U19 Euros then. Spurs didn't let Danny Rose go either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2010/07/good_news_for_englands_future.html

BulletEagle
13-07-2010, 03:18 PM
There are two things confusing me here.

Why did he turn down Wolves, only to now want to leave?

Same area. I can only assume same kind of money. If anything would have got more game time there.

If he goes fine. Let him. He will regret it and it will be all his fault.

He should stay - he needs to play at npC level, and the best place to do that is here. After a season if we are still in this league and he has outgrown us, let him leave. But for him and us, why go now? New owners, new players, new management, and in the peak of his growth.

Riccardo
13-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I really hope he doesn't join the list of Julian Gray, Wayne Routledge and John Bostock on moving on too early from us.

Dingle
13-07-2010, 03:24 PM

Agree completely. When are the FA going to step in and change the way young talent is handled in this country. Surely they can see the system we currently have of all the best young talent being poached and stuck in a Prem reserve team before they are out of their teens is not working as shown by England's woeful international performances and a lack of young talent breaking into the national team.

ChristalPalace
13-07-2010, 03:24 PM

Same area. I can only assume same kind of money. If anything would have got more game time there.

He should stay - he needs to play at npC level, and the best place to do that is here. After a season if we are still in this league and he has outgrown us, let him leave. But for him and us, why go now? New owners, new players, new management, and in the peak of his growth.

Brum's right-back Stephen Carr will be 34 by the end of August and will probably pack it in the next couple of years. Wolves' right-back is Kevin Foley, who is only 26.

monkey nuts
13-07-2010, 03:25 PM
If he wants to go...let him go! I'm only interested in watching players who want to play for Palace.

Psychokiller
13-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Do agents accompany players on these England U19 trips? If so, why?

sw16girl
13-07-2010, 03:26 PM

In January he was asked to stay by NW - who knows what was suggested to get him to stay. Any of the following could have been used:-

1. Stay and if the club go bust you can go on a free and get a big signing on fee, if it doesn't then you will be in no worse position as you can go in the Summer when you will probably get a bigger pay deal if you have done well over the next six months
2. Stay for another half season and get that much more time in the first team before you go in the Summer
3. Stay now and keep us up and we will not stand in your way in the Summer

We all think he would benefit from a another season but he may consider he has already given us another half season and is now ready to go.

Anyway he hasn't gone yet and he may not do so. And I don't think going on the U19's trip will have any bearing - the fact he was voted young player of the season in the Championship was in itself enough to mean that teams were alerted to his potential.

EagleSE24
13-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Do agents accompany players on these England U19 trips? If so, why?
Apparently they know what's best for the players. ******* leeches.

Crunchie
13-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Agree completely. When are the FA going to step in and change the way young talent is handled in this country. Surely they can see the system we currently have of all the best young talent being poached and stuck in a Prem reserve team before they are out of their teens is not working as shown by England's woeful international performances and a lack of young talent breaking into the national team.

Spot on.

Braders
13-07-2010, 04:19 PM
**** sake. if clyne goes it symbolises everything wrong with the game, a big thing to say but it is so painfully obvious that another season with us would benefit him so much.

clyne do the logical thing and ESTABLISH yourself and then you'll have the pick of any club you want rather than poxy brum and perhapseven an england spot in two years time.

do the right thing!

Celestial Empire
13-07-2010, 04:36 PM

LOL, just heard Gerry Francis on Sky, he reckons the solution to the "England problem" is even more concentration of young talents in the Prem (reserves). All of these guys don't want to know, the Prem and Sky are their pension, the whole bloody "elite" of the game are totally sold out. Since the WC debacle, a never-ending stream of "experts" have been assuring us that it's nothing to do with the Prem and blaming everyone and everything except the obvious.:veryangry

rhynoeagle
13-07-2010, 04:39 PM
If he wants to go we should try and squeeze as much money out of him as we can. Brummies owners are loaded so we should make them put a stupid bid in and accept :D

CPFC2010 said they will recycle transfer funds so maybe we could get someone as good.

I know it wouldnt replace the sadness of another youth product going but still.

adrenalin john
13-07-2010, 04:43 PM
We don't have to sell.

The thing about Clynne is everyone knows he is going to make it and be worth in excess of 10 million.

I think Scannel may make it, pretty sure Victor will, Bostock might not but none of them are a sure thing in the way Clynne is.

Anything under 5 million is robbery

Stavros 69
13-07-2010, 04:49 PM
We don't have to sell.

The thing about Clynne is everyone knows he is going to make it and be worth in excess of 10 million.

I think Scannel may make. pretty sure Victor will, Bostock might not but none of them are a sure thing in the way Clynne.

Bet you he goes for under 2m.

adrenalin john
13-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Bet you he goes for under 2m.

How much?

Gooders
13-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Any of the following could have been used:-

2. Stay for another half season and get that much more time in the first team before you go in the Summer

Can't have been 2 - he was out of the team more than in it after January.

Mind you, Warnock has been shown to be a liar, so perhaps it could have been 2. :)

He's not ready for the Greed League and when he is, he can do a lot better than Birmingham, for sure.

Gooders
13-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Oh and CPFC2010 - 3million, all up front, or tell them to get bent.

adrenalin john
13-07-2010, 05:32 PM

Not sure Sunderland will sell

chatham_eagle
13-07-2010, 05:33 PM

+ Loan Back
+ Pre-season friendly next year
+ More dosh after 10 and 20 league appearances + international appearance
+ A vintage oak cocktail cabinet for the boardroom

adrenalin john
13-07-2010, 05:37 PM
and a picture of Mcleish in a celtic top

jams1234
13-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah I think unless something major happens(career threatening injury), it is pretty much nailed on that Clyne will 'make it'. However, he will be such a bigger name if he stays with us for even just one more season.

LiamCPFC
14-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Sky Sports Scout on Clyne...

http://www.skysports.com/football/transfers/scout

Current value - 4m
Potential value - 18m

Even I'd admit to the potential value maybe being a little high, but I do believe we should be getting around 4m for him.

orp pisshead1
14-07-2010, 09:15 PM
We don't have to sell.

I think Scannel may make it, pretty sure Victor will, Bostock might not but none of them are a sure thing in the way Clynne is.

Spot on, apart from the moses bit he'll make it especially if played up front rather than wing.

chatham_eagle
14-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Sky Sports Scout on Clyne...

Current value - 4m
Potential value - 18m

Even I'd admit to the potential value maybe being a little high, but I do believe we should be getting around 4m for him.

Glen Johnson.

ed_glenn
14-07-2010, 09:44 PM
I think that even 4mill is still less than he is worth!

hamge
14-07-2010, 09:46 PM
He started at tottenham :eek

Freddy Kurz
14-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Everything I've seen and heard about Clyne since he made his first-team
debut for Palace confirm my initial assessment that he is our best full-
back since Kenny Sansom.

If he can't be persuaded to stay willingly, then I would make his new club
pay a minimum of 3m up front for his services.

Jason
14-07-2010, 10:06 PM
He started at tottenham :eek

I know it didn't technically work like this, but we got Clyne and 700k from them, and they got Bostock from us.

I think we got the better end of that deal :p

orp pisshead1
14-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Everything I've seen and heard about Clyne since he made his first-team
debut for Palace confirm my initial assessment that he is our best full-
back since Kenny Sansom.

If he can't be persuaded to stay willingly, then I would make his new club
pay a minimum of 3m up front for his services.

Still way too low freddy.

stinky
15-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Birmingham have tabled a 1.25m bid for Crystal Palace right-back Nathaniel Clyne.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3054868/Birmingham-target-Nathaniel-Clyne.html

Mad Raschic Ken
15-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Birmingham have tabled a 1.25m bid for Crystal Palace right-back Nathaniel Clyne.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3054868/Birmingham-target-Nathaniel-Clyne.html

Maybe they would like a group of our fans to head up to St Andrews and bend over for them too.

Woosie
15-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Clyne doesn't want to go anywhere, so unless Brum can come up with a serious bid I cannot see him leaving.

Dingle
15-07-2010, 08:18 AM
500k up front :eek:

They must think we're absolute mugs if we're going to accept an insulting offer like that. 500k couldn't buy his boot laces.

KungFuCharlie
15-07-2010, 08:47 AM
I thought they'd already offered 1.75m

I get the feeling that something might be going on behind the scenes, but the Red Tops haven't got a ****** clue.

Psychokiller
15-07-2010, 08:49 AM
This smells of "get the agent to unsettle the player then offer peanuts to buy him" to me.

orp pisshead1
15-07-2010, 08:56 AM
As someone said on another thread a crawley player recently cost 200k and these ***** are only offering 1.2 mill **** OFF , if NC has to be sold as in he becomes unsettled then talking should only START at 5 million. cpfc 2010 players like him are like gold dust.

eagle mart
15-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Where do I go to put a bet on that both Moses & Clyne will represent England at senior level?

And what odds would I get for a combined bet?

Stavros 69
15-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Clyne doesn't want to go anywhere, so unless Brum can come up with a serious bid I cannot see him leaving.
How do you know.
Everything i've been told is that he wants off, and all signs point to this.

Woosie
15-07-2010, 09:30 AM
How do you know.
Everything i've been told is that he wants off, and all signs point to this.

My friend speaks to him on the phone quite regularly. But then what he says to my friend may not be true, but she says that he is often saying he loves it at palace and wants to stay.

Everything you've been told? Who has told you what may I ask? (not a dig, just a genuine question)

Stavros 69
15-07-2010, 09:54 AM
My friend speaks to him on the phone quite regularly. But then what he says to my friend may not be true, but she says that he is often saying he loves it at palace and wants to stay.

Everything you've been told? Who has told you what may I ask? (not a dig, just a genuine question)
Someone who has very good links to the new owners.
I imagine he wants his money like the rest of them.
For me i'd tie him to a new contract with the condition that we will sell him next summer.
Everyone wins, but like Bostock and so many others i doubt this will happen.

Woosie
15-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Someone who has very good links to the new owners.
I imagine he wants his money like the rest of them.
For me i'd tie him to a new contract with the condition that we will sell him next summer.
Everyone wins, but like Bostock and so many others i doubt this will happen.

Hmm interesting. Can't see him doing a Bostock that's for sure (not saying you have to believe that it's just what I think). Personally I think he does love the club, but who knows. We'll see what happens.

Gooders
15-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Sick of these derisory offers.

CPFC2010 - tell them the price has gone up to 3million, all up-front, or they can k'off.

Stigma
15-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Sick of these derisory offers.

CPFC2010 - tell them the price has gone up to 3million, all up-front, or they can k'off.

Spot on..:p

rainbow_child
15-07-2010, 11:50 AM

1.25mil :eek:

I wonder whether they have bid for his left or right leg?

Psychokiller
15-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Really surprised only a cruddy little club like Birmingham are interested. He's capable of much better.

Sunny Fan
15-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Hmm interesting. Can't see him doing a Bostock that's for sure (not saying you have to believe that it's just what I think).
Clearly not, as he's tied to a contract, which Bostock never was.

Woosie
15-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Clearly not, as he's tied to a contract, which Bostock never was.

I was responding to this from stavros Everyone wins, but like Bostock and so many others i doubt this will happen.

Perhaps I read it wrong, but it sounds like he is saying he doubts Clyne will agree to a new contract and will go for the money. Which is what Bostock did, except of course we didn't have Bostock under contract. But will we let Clyne see out his contract if he did want to go, or would we sell him before it was up? Depends on whether or not we think he might agree to a new deal I suppose. How long is left on his deal, 2 years?

cpfcben
15-07-2010, 12:17 PM
The offers being branded about are insulting and wind me up something chronic.

Stavros 69
15-07-2010, 12:25 PM
If he goes i just want the max amount of money for him.
3m+ add ons would be a good start.
Why do these clubs think they can take the piss so often.

adrenalin john
15-07-2010, 12:45 PM
I guess the key to getting proper money for the boy is either us being strong. ie bid 5 million + add ons or don't us expect to even acknowledge your bid

or, there being loads of suitors

adrenalin john
15-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Aside from B'ham who need a replacement for Carr sooner rather than later who else needs a right back? And more importantly can spend proper money

Chelsea?
Arsenal?
Man City?

Really the best place for the boy would be somewhere like Aston Villa or Everton, but at this stage what he needs is another year in the championship rather than a year in the reserves in egosville, premierland

Woosie
15-07-2010, 12:53 PM
My friend is still insistent that he will stay. I hope she's right, but if not then I just want a big fee for him, at least 3million, with most of that up front.

JDawg
15-07-2010, 01:23 PM
If I read things correctly, Birmingham have offered 500,000 cash and a series of promises that supposedly add up to a further 750,000 - I assume in a parallel universe.

It pisses me off beyond belief that these muppets have the affrontery to even put this sort of offer forward.

(a) Unless McLeish is either blind or stupid, neither of which I am prepared to rule out at the moment, he will have noticed that we are out of administration and thus don't need to sell.
(b) The fact that they have "upped their bid" means that the original offer was a total rip off.

Bostock is a good example of why Clyne should stay both for his own sake as well as the club's. Bostock went for similar money with a series of promises made both to him and to CPFC none of which materialised rather predicably. Bostock's career is in tatters as a result and this saga was one of the many nails in CPFC's coffin.

I think the moral is simple here. Stay and make a name then if you have to go, having done this, go. A derisory conditional offer means that at best he is valued as a bench warmer and more likely a reserve team stalwart or they will try and make the funding costs back from the loan market.

For Christs sake Premiership clubs, get real. This attitude is killing football and also killing the careers of potential future stars: The optionality with conditional offers leaves risk with the selling club which is just not right and shows a complete lack of commitment to the player in question. The Championship is not a vehicle to pillage by Premiership clubs with a holier than thou attitude. More fool the clubs for agreeing to deal under these terms.

I want Clyne to stay. If this is what is out there he would be an idiot to consider anything else.

Celestial Empire
15-07-2010, 01:28 PM
There is no way Clyne is ready to replace Carr as the first choice RB for Brum, and the paltry offer kind of shows that.

Absolution
15-07-2010, 01:46 PM

Anyone see this?

Woosie
15-07-2010, 01:54 PM
from that report ^^

Current value: 4million

Potential value: 18million

Well Brum can get f*cked then can't they.

Many would liken him to Glen Johnson, and that is not an unkind comparison in any way - but already you could argue that Clyne is showing much more of an inclination to defend.

Clyne will be a better player than Johnson imo, as he is a better defender like they are suggesting.

kolinkins
15-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Someone from Palace needs to make a statement about this. The longer we do not, the longer we'll encourage an agent to leak to the press.

Clapham Grand
15-07-2010, 02:00 PM
His agent needs telling off

MasterYoda
15-07-2010, 02:01 PM

Anyone see this?Not convinced that guy has ever actually watched him play. And the fixture in the side comment isn't accurate at all.

kolinkins
15-07-2010, 02:02 PM

I hear he changed agents in March.

Hopefully, as per Burley's quotes, his mum will set him straight

IpswichEagle
15-07-2010, 02:11 PM
You can say 'look what happened to Bostock' all you like, but you could equally say 'look what happened to Moses' a player that is getting games and looks set to be part of the future of Wigan Athletic.

Bostock is a warning to young players, but equally it is not a certainty.

Bostock was 16 and Clyne is a more developed 19 year old.

Birmingham are not Spurs. I would fully expect Clyne to get games there as much as Moses will be playing for Wigan.

To say he would be an idiot for considering going to Brum is a tad insulting. An idiot wouldn't consider his options.

I don't buy this 'player 'x' loves palace, he won't go' stuff either'. True player loyalty is rarer than moondust these days. I don't begrudge them for it but most players (Clyne included) are not fans in the sense that we are.

What i do agree with is that pehaps our owners/manager should slap a hefty 3-5m price tag on his head. This merry-go-round of bids and speculation will never stop while he is at palace and it not only unsettles the player, but the fans too.

JDawg
15-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Wigan committed in that their offer wasn't conditional. This means they wanted him and were prepared to stump up. Birmingham's conditionality suggests they can't make their mind up on the player. Think about it.

No.16
15-07-2010, 04:38 PM
First of all the figure you hear is not necessarily what is paid. 2.5 for Akinbiyi? Rubbish we paid far less than that but the potential fee could have risen to that figure but never got close.

In 91 when Wright was sold the World record had only just been pushed to 5.5m from 4.2m and i cannot find the record paid by an English club but it was the Italians who were the big spenders back then. How much do you think he should have been sold for to an English club?

I can't be bothered to trail through transfers of the day, we knew it was cheap back then and it proved to be the case when he went on to become one of their all time record goal scorers...you highlight yourself the figure of 5.5m, it's not like Arsenal were short of a bob or two in the early 90's after the Prem had swelled their coffers.

Coleman, Armstrong, Fitz Hall and AJ are the exceptions in terms of good business at Palace...we have always been targeted for cheap signings. Not sure why you highlight Ade - regardless of add ons the figure of 1.25m that is bouncing about is beyond derisory, it's an insult to the faculties of our new owners and a slight on Nat's clear talent. If two Spurs reserves are going for approx 5m including add ons then our first teamer and England Under 19 cannot go for less than 5m...I hope he stays with us for at least another season, it's a crying shame not being able to enjoy watching academy prospect for at least two seasons.

BulletEagle
15-07-2010, 04:48 PM
If Sky rate him at 4million then why on earth do Brum think they will get him for 1.25million?

Message to George Burley - slap a 4million + add ons price tag on him and we want him back on loan. Then they can have him.

Also, from Sky, potential value 18million. Doesn't that wack up his value? Surely we should chuck in a sell-on clause too, just to be sure.

Dal
15-07-2010, 05:05 PM
1.25M is derisory.

They are taking the ******* piss and they know it.

andy m
15-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Is Bostock really a warning to others? I mean, when all's said and done he's still only 18, he's become Spurs youngest ever player, spent a month at Brentford which was reported as being a disaster but he still managed 9 games and 2 goals, and now Redknapp has come out and said he's going to be in the first team squad this year.

If Bostock's toiling in the lower reaches of the football league 5 years from now then perhaps we can say it was the wrong move for him but the chances are he'll be in the Premiership and benefitting from not having had to slug it out in the Championship at such a young age.

Beckham had just turned 20 when he finally played in the League for Man U - having spent a couple of years playing the odd European game and being on loan to a lower league side.

Sound familiar?

917L
15-07-2010, 06:08 PM
, spent a month at Brentford which was reported as being a disaster but he still managed 9 games and 2 goals,

Both goals were on his debut, and one was a complete fluke direct from a corner.
They didnt bother extending his loan period which they could have done

he hardly covered himself in glory there

ChristalPalace
15-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Both goals were on his debut, and one was a complete fluke direct from a corner.
They didnt bother extending his loan period which they could have done

he hardly covered himself in glory there

The goals were against Millwall too.

Apparently he had a really bad attitude, thought he was bigger than the club. Sound familiar?

mushroom
15-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Isn't his agent a family member?

Celestial Empire
15-07-2010, 10:43 PM
It is quite feasible that Clyne's agent is behind all this.
Maybe McLeish told his agent, I'm not convinced, but we'll take him as long as it's less than a million up front ?
We will only get full value when he becomes a hot property and some decent clubs want him. If we hadn't been in desperate straits, selling Victor would have been madness. Same with Clyne.

Maiden Eagle
16-07-2010, 08:28 AM
The problem is, that in the end, I suspect Clyne will go to B'Ham. Hopefully we can get a more realistic price for him. The main problem at the moment is potential lack of defenders, especially full backs. Wright has been brought, but Butterfield, Lawrence, Hill and Ertl have gone, plus possibly Clyne, with Hills a long term injury. Is Davis still in Jamaica (?), because at the moment our back four is potentially McCarthy, Barratt, Wright and er.....
I know a couple of guys on trial played at Crawley, in defence, but reports on them weren't great.

mushroom
16-07-2010, 08:43 AM
The problem is, that in the end, I suspect Clyne will go to B'Ham. Hopefully we can get a more realistic price for him. The main problem at the moment is potential lack of defenders, especially full backs. Wright has been brought, but Butterfield, Lawrence, Hill and Ertl have gone, plus possibly Clyne, with Hills a long term injury. Is Davis still in Jamaica (?), because at the moment our back four is potentially McCarthy, Barratt, Wright and er.....
I know a couple of guys on trial played at Crawley, in defence, but reports on them weren't great.
Which is why Clyne should stay, he could quite easily play 40+ games next year, he won't get that if he moves to the premiership.

Big Blue Eagle
16-07-2010, 08:45 AM
According to GB is definitely the agent - love the quote about Bale!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6262724,00.html

Crystal Palace boss George Burley insists Birmingham's bid for Nathaniel Clyne is 'not even worth looking at.'

kolinkins
16-07-2010, 08:46 AM
If he's going to go, we need to get a proper fee for him. CPFC2010 and Burley need to lay down a marker - it will be the first transfer out, so we need to show people we mean business and do not need the money. 6m as an absolute minimum.

kolinkins
16-07-2010, 08:48 AM
And there we go. Good work George.

Joeymaz
16-07-2010, 08:51 AM
12m it is then.....

Psychokiller
16-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Maybe Birmingham should consider that the last teenage full-back I sold was Gareth Bale at Southampton for 12million

Well said George. I think Clyne would be a fool not to stay even if just for another season to learn off Burley, who was definitely one of the best full backs of his generation.

Chris K
16-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Excellent comments from gb

Owngoal
16-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Great to have a proper manager who knows the value of a player, his 'last full back I sold was Grath Bale for 12 million' is priceless. Two years on his contract and potentially future England full back will not see this manager being short changed

Lords Eagle
16-07-2010, 08:59 AM
If he's going to go, we need to get a proper fee for him. CPFC2010 and Burley need to lay down a marker - it will be the first transfer out, so we need to show people we mean business and do not need the money. 6m as an absolute minimum.

I think he's laid down the marker with his 12m for Bale quote.

HARRY MONK
16-07-2010, 09:04 AM
fantastic to hear we might not get screwed over with the fee if he does go

Dingle
16-07-2010, 09:05 AM
:lux:

This has made my day. Thank you George Burley!

Penstone Eagle
16-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Birmingham are not Spurs. I would fully expect Clyne to get games there as much as Moses will be playing for Wigan.

A young attacking player like Moses who can cause trouble to experienced defenders is, in my opnion, more likely to get games than a young defender up against experienced forwards and wingers. As good as he is Clyne still needs more experience and will get that with us, he would not be first choice at Brum and if he were to play and ends up struggling, it would be damaging to his confidence and to his career. He probably has 16 or so years ahead of him, 1 more year with 40 games in the Championship would go a long way to securing a better career, rather than being a squad player at Brum.

Stigma
16-07-2010, 09:09 AM

:)

The Gerry Queen
16-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Excellent stuff from Burley and puts this shambolic bid into the long grass where it belongs. I understand that Clyne recently changed his agent and has clealy lost the plot with poor advice from someone on the make.He could do well now at a lower mid table Prem club but the transfer fee is ridiculous but sadly reflects the contempt some Prem clubs have for the rest of the Football League and wider game. Burley is right to speak to Clyne's Mum and hopefully she will bring Nathaniel back to earth and send his new agent packing.

eaglesboy2
16-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Its fantastic that we are now in the position where GB can say that and mean it. Clubs like Palace cannot be screwed by premiership clubs anymore especially for young english footballers

PauLo
16-07-2010, 09:15 AM
That comment about selling Bale is superb :lux:

elgin eagle
16-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Maybe Birmingham should consider that the last teenage full-back I sold was Gareth Bale at Southampton for 12million

Well said George. I think Clyne would be a fool not to stay even if just for another season to learn off Burley, who was definitely one of the best full backs of his generation.

Good point. And also good to know that the days of Palace selling their best assets off for peanuts are probably at an end.

kolinkins
16-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Yep - I posted before the article was up

deftones_eagle
16-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Well done George. He is a man not to be messed with. 1.25 million is a joke. NC should look at what has gone before him and where they are now. Another season or two at this level will help him no end.

Abjekt
16-07-2010, 09:25 AM

zuper zalace
16-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Well done George. He is a man not to be messed with. 1.25 million is a joke. NC should look at what has gone before him and where they are now. Another season or two at this level will help him no end.

he's the best full back in his age group in england so is worth at least 5m. young player of the year and others his age have gone for a lot more.

walcott, bale, delph etc

ChristalPalace
16-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Superb work from Burley. I feel proud to see the Palace manager standing up to a Premier League club and not letting them take the p*ss out of us.

Two Scottish managers. One grey, one ginger. Which is better? There's only one way to find out...

It obviously isn't the ginger. :D

Bounty_Killa
16-07-2010, 09:40 AM
I loved this :D

"I'm going to talk to his mother and explain why this is the best place for him."

Bounty_Killa
16-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Does anyone know who his agent is?

ChristalPalace
16-07-2010, 09:44 AM
I loved this :D

"I'm going to talk to his mother and explain why this is the best place for him."

All rather Godfather-esque. "Don Burleone will sit down and tell his mother exactly what his position is on this matter."