PDA

View Full Version : Simon Francis

mcmean
08-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Has been released by Southend, and apparantly we have been in contact with him

cockles
08-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Interesting one. Looks a bit of an enigma - Dougie/Deano will know him pretty well so we'll see.

rainbow_child
08-07-2010, 11:19 AM
What position does he play?

ChickenDipper
08-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Very good cover if true. Tall, athletic and very good attacking full back.

Biggineagle
08-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Defender

GodstoneEagle
08-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Right back, can play in defensive mid or right mid though. Bloody handy player I think. IIRC was at Sheff U before and dropped down to Sarfend the season they came up with Eastwood and Flahavan. I rate him.

hamge
08-07-2010, 11:22 AM
How many more defenders should/will we sign?

The Omen
08-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I wish Dougie had signed for a bigger club when he left us if he planned on bringing all his old mates along with him... :)

Biggineagle
08-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Was gonna leave a few months ago but "was unable to agree personal terms"

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~1926006,00.html

Eddie'S Dad
08-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Right back, can play in defensive mid or right mid though. Bloody handy player I think. IIRC was at Sheff U before and dropped down to Sarfend the season they came up with Eastwood and Flahavan. I rate him.

He played for Shff Utd?
Surprised that Warnock isn't in for him

cpfcben
08-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I really liked the look of him at Bradord the few times I saw him, however essentially he is a right back. We do not need another right back as Clyne and Wright should be competing for that position. Ideally we need an orthordox left back (hopefully not Jordan).

The Gerry Queen
08-07-2010, 11:46 AM

We need competition for Clyne and we don't have a defensive mid or right mid ? at the moment. If we are signing Stephen Jordan as LB and David Wright is going to play as Paddy McCarthy's CB partner instead of Davis ( Next Warnock signing LOL ) and Clyne can play in both FB positions then having Francis in the squad is good. It may be that Burley and Dougie think he can fill the Derry void ?

AlgotTheEagle
08-07-2010, 11:51 AM

The new Danny Butterfield ?! :)

AJ
08-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I am slightly concerned that Palace are signing a lot of "lower" league players, I understand the reasons(ie money), but, there is a reason that most of these players have spent most of their careers in those divisions.

Shipp Ahoy!
08-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Was good on Champ Man :D

In fact I'm playing it now and got him in my squad :p

Freddy Kurz
08-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I am slightly concerned that Palace are signing a lot of "lower" league players, I understand the reasons(ie money), but, there is a reason that most of these players have spent most of their careers in those divisions.

A bit like Boyce do you mean? Good to know Palace fans have such touching faith in our new
manager, George Burley and his deputy Dougie Freedman...... Why don't our legion of Doubting
Thomas's wait a wee while to see how all these new signings actually play in the Championship
before writing them off and before they've even kicked a ball.

Most realistic Palace fans have a pretty good idea of CPFC2010's financial position and are aware
that the Club has got a very limited budget and won't be able to compete with Premier League or
even well-off Championship Clubs for the best football talent, but that still leaves plenty of
decent professionals with unfulfilled ambition looking for just the kind of break a club like
Palace with its proven past managerial experience can provide.

thehalifaxman
08-07-2010, 12:34 PM

Money is surely the reason especially with the lack of interest for season tickets!

Mong!
08-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Think he can play in midfield too

The Gerry Queen
08-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Money is surely the reason especially with the lack of interest for season tickets!
We often hear people saying that they want the club to sign lower league/ non league 'hungry for success' players and un earth the next Ian Wright.... or Matt Lawrence ! Damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Not sure that we've had a lack of interest in season tickets. We now have over 8,000 season ticket holders ( info from last week so it must be more by now) and that is at a time when the club are unable to accept credit card sales and phased payments over 6 months.
CPFC2010 have set 10,000 as their target for this year. We have sold around 1,400 so far and that is against a target of 3,400 so, in less than two weeks, we are getting on for half way there (maybe already reached halfway). With the Ambrose news, credit card sales and phased payments and another sales push from CPFC2010, we could well hit the target by August which would be great, especially as we are in an unprecedented period of economic difficulty with people struggling to find cash for basics.

prizesucker
08-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Southend supporting pal of mine has told me

"he is real class, although he is a right back he does have terrific pace, very attack-minded and could play in midfield"

Sounds positive and GB may have him in mind as more a right midfield player with clyne on the overlap? Or maybe cpfc have not been successful to get Lloyd Sam and we are going for Francis instead?

Niel Smillie
08-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Southend supporting pal of mine has told me

"he is real class, although he is a right back he does have terrific pace, very attack-minded and could play in midfield"

Sounds positive and GB may have him in mind as more a right midfield player with clyne on the overlap? Or maybe cpfc have not been successful to get Lloyd Sam and we are going for Francis instead?
Can you ask your pal if Southend had so many class players why did they get relegated?

prizesucker
08-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Can you ask your pal if Southend had so many class players why did they get relegated?

He goes a bit quiet when i bring that up ;) - he does seem to think that the players not being paid, pending administration and off-field activities took its toll on the squad as a hole.

rhynoeagle
08-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Only 25, would be decent enough on a free. Its going to be interesting with 4 players signed who have been released though at the back.

I heard hes really fast too.

ThisIsDoM
08-07-2010, 01:31 PM

My thoughts exactly. Occasionally you'll get the odd boyce but most of the time thats not the case. I've not heard of any of these players that we've signed and haven't heard of half the players we are linked with, so not quite sure what to think atm.

kolinkins
08-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Who have we signed from a lower level? Barrett so far, that's it.

Francis sounds like a versitile player, who can cover Butts now he's gone.

Scroatey
08-07-2010, 01:36 PM
All those lower league players signed under Coppell turned out bad didn't they!

james powell
08-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Another defender???

BB Bob
08-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I think he was their player of the year last year (although, for sure, he didn't have much competition....). Personally, I think he is cheap and will do a job for us.

AJ
08-07-2010, 01:58 PM
All those lower league players signed under Coppell turned out bad didn't they!

Trouble is that people only remember the good ones, for every good buy there were probably 2 or 3 who didn't make the grade.

Beanie
08-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I am slightly concerned that Palace are signing a lot of "lower" league players, .....
So far we have signed Wright from a CCC side, Dorman from the SPL and Barrett from League 1/2. We're linked with Jordan from the Premiership / CCC and apparently in Francis another League 1/2. So, three from clubs higher or equal, two from lower. What were you expecting?

BB Bob
08-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Unfortunately, we need a squad as I think we had less than 11 senior pros at the end of administration? We can't afford a Premiership one, so need to rebuild through frees. Frankly, I think that the signings are OK, if not of mindblowing quality. Could Adam Barratt be as bad as Matt Lawrence at time? Possibly, but it is hard to imagine him being worse.....

LiamCPFC
08-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Sounds like an older version of Clyne to me...attacking full back who could play in midfield.

weh8millwall
08-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Didn't he score the winner against us a few years back up at Bradford? Maybe 2003?

telodaja
08-07-2010, 02:30 PM
My thoughts exactly. Occasionally you'll get the odd boyce but most of the time thats not the case. I've not heard of any of these players that we've signed and haven't heard of half the players we are linked with, so not quite sure what to think atm.

I had'nt heard of that bloke we bought from Crewe in the 80's Geoff someone, and as for that Scottish striker we got from Barnet in 95 whatever happened to him ? :) As Fredy Kurz said let's see them play and then decide if they are any good. In our current situation and in view of the mess CPFC2010 have rescued us from I would much rather we sign the types of player that Wright, Barrett & Dorman are than some of the over piad over hyped failures that we used to.

webbo1990
08-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Bring him in! He's cheap as chips, young and ready for the plunge if any injury comes about.

With regards to Southend, they are really bang in trouble aren't they? Poor sods!

silver
08-07-2010, 02:35 PM
spot on Fredy K

andyocpfc
08-07-2010, 02:40 PM
I quite agree in buying lower league decent players. Our days (thank Gawd) are gone of buying ex prem players with big wages that are happy to warm the bench knowing their best days were behind them.

I have faith in GB, DF and CPFC2010.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
08-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Of course Clyne could play at left back anyway and this fella on the left.
Wouldn't be my plan but its possible and we need more depth whatever.

rainbow_child
08-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I have faith in GB, DF and CPFC2010.

So do I and I am eternally grateful to CPFC2010 for stepping in and saving our beloved club! :lux: :love:

solpadeine
08-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Hooray for more defenders. You you what they say, "the best defense is a good defense".

ChristalPalace
08-07-2010, 02:58 PM
This is about strength in depth in defence.

Butterfield, Lawrence, Hill, Ertl and Fonte have all gone since this time last year, and Hills is out until the new year.

Of those, Fonte is clearly irreplaceable. He was a Premier League player who dropped DOWN a league for the huge amounts of cash on offer, though he admitted he didn't actually want to go. The rest are replaceable, even if three of those four were strong characters in the dressing room.

So let's say that McCarthy 'replaces' Fonte, in terms of being our star defender.

Fonte out, McCarthy in.
Butterfield out, Francis in.
Hill out, Wright in.
Lawrence out, Barrett in.
Ertl out... ?. This isn't such a problem as Ertl rarely played in defence anyway.
Hills out (for five months of the season), Jordan in.

Ashleyno1son
08-07-2010, 07:22 PM
As per ChristalPalace

Good like for like replacements on free transfers and presumably less wages. Younger replacements too. A great bit of business

rhynoeagle
08-07-2010, 07:36 PM
The more i think about him signing the more i think it'll be good. Southends POTY, great pace, low wages, young and will be eager to impress.

Lets see if the signings GB make will be some of the best bit of business CPFC has ever seen considering our Transfer Budget ?

If we get to the Playoffs GB is God. :D

Stavros 69
08-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Sounds like a good squad player.

Ninja Eric
08-07-2010, 08:59 PM
This definitely isn't happening - from what I've heard he is either going to Millwall or to the Clowns. He's weighing up the options at the moment...

cpfcben
08-07-2010, 09:05 PM
There are 3 main areas where we have to strengthen before we attempt to sign another right back. A decent forward (preferably not Clinton), a decent defensive midfielder and an orthodox left back. Resources are tight. Let's prioritise.

Stellavista
08-07-2010, 09:13 PM
There are 3 main areas where we have to strengthen before we attempt to sign another right back. A decent forward (preferably not Clinton), a decent defensive midfielder and an orthodox left back. Resources are tight. Let's prioritise.

And we still don't have any recognised width. If we are going to service Alan Lee effectively, we badly need it. He spent most of last season feeding on scraps.

Harry Bassett
08-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Hooray for more defenders. You you what they say, "the best defense is a good defense".

The saying is "attack is the best form of defence"

Typical Palace
08-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Of those, Fonte is clearly irreplaceable. He was a Premier League player who dropped DOWN a league for the huge amounts of cash on offer
Rubbish. If he was a Premier League player he would have be a Premier League player. Remind me how many Premier League clubs were knocking down our door to sign him when we desperately needed the cash and everyone knew it? Oh yeah, none. He was clearly not irreplaceable: we stayed up without him.

I maintain if he was not from Portugal he would not be rated to the extent so many here do.

SpikeyMatt
08-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Feel sorry for Southend, we were in the same boat not long ago.

We've just nabbed their captain and are now linked with their POTY, both links of which have Dougie's pawprints all over them. We were raging at Warnock when he was threatening to raid us (OK, he got Hill and Derry on Bosmans) but I'd be a bit peeved if I were a Southend fan.

I know that's the way football works and all but it ain't right, not when Johnny Foreigner is earning megabucks for Global Megastar City come calling and earns 150k per week and this club need 225k to survive.

zonin2000
08-07-2010, 09:56 PM
On the contrary, I am delighted.

Strategically signing good lower league players with something to prove and whom we can add value is just about the optimal strategy for a club of our means. Thomas, Pemberton, Armstrong, Edworthy, Butterfield, Boyce and Derry were all signed from the league below us (at the time) and were tremendous players for the club.

doodledandy
08-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Left back's a done deal once Stephen Jordan has got over his punch-up with a lorry and can get down here for his medical, sign his contract and hop over the line!. :p

ChristalPalace
08-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Rubbish. If he was a Premier League player he would have be a Premier League player. Remind me how many Premier League clubs were knocking down our door to sign him when we desperately needed the cash and everyone knew it? Oh yeah, none. He was clearly not irreplaceable: we stayed up without him.

I maintain if he was not from Portugal he would not be rated to the extent so many here do.

I see your point, but it partly depends on what was needed by those clubs at the time.

Compare Fonte with a centre-back who left a Championship club (albeit on loan) at the same time for the Premier League. Matthew Kilgallon went on loan to Sunderland from Sheffield United. I honestly believe Fonte is a far better player than Kilgallon, not least because he is calm at the back and can find the net at the other end when required.

doodledandy
08-07-2010, 10:39 PM
On the contrary, I am delighted.

Strategically signing good lower league players with something to prove and whom we can add value is just about the optimal strategy for a club of our means. Thomas, Pemberton, Armstrong, Edworthy, Butterfield, Boyce and Derry were all signed from the league below us (at the time) and were tremendous players for the club.
Not to mention Wright, Bright, Jansen, Stephenson and AJ who was playing in Birmingham reserves. It depends how far you want to go back. There are undoubtedly quality players lurking in the lower divisions and reserve sides, but you have to find them. Joe Kinear was a master at winkling them out.

Billy Rhino
08-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Because it's about time, and it's a breath of fresh air.....hopefully.

FromSelhurst
08-07-2010, 10:55 PM
a player ive rated for some time. with clyne and wright would be a weird one though.

SpikeyMatt
08-07-2010, 11:18 PM
I see your point, but it partly depends on what was needed by those clubs at the time.

Compare Fonte with a centre-back who left a Championship club (albeit on loan) at the same time for the Premier League. Matthew Kilgallon went on loan to Sunderland from Sheffield United. I honestly believe Fonte is a far better player than Kilgallon, not least because he is calm at the back and can find the net at the other end when required.

Kilgallon is plying his trade in the Premier League; Fonte is plying his trade in League 1. Is that not all that needs to be said?

Fonte was decent for us. But irreplaceable? Crikey, that's a statement. I wouldn't have said our defence looked worse off when he upped sticks down the M3. I'd argue we didn't miss him at all. Calm at the back is one thing, careless is another thing and Fonte was prone to hesitance and haphazardness.

Typical Palace is quite correct. Anybody in the Prem could have had Fonte for a few hundred grand, but they didn't take him...I wonder why.

Adams the Eagle
08-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Feel sorry for Southend, we were in the same boat not long ago.

We've just nabbed their captain and are now linked with their POTY, both links of which have Dougie's pawprints all over them. We were raging at Warnock when he was threatening to raid us (OK, he got Hill and Derry on Bosmans) but I'd be a bit peeved if I were a Southend fan.

I know that's the way football works and all but it ain't right, not when Johnny Foreigner is earning megabucks for Global Megastar City come calling and earns 150k per week and this club need 225k to survive.

Could not agree more, whilst I would be lying I said I wouldn't be pleased to see us sign a player like this without a fee, it isn't a nice way to do business. There is no avioding the fact that if this were to happen to us we'd be outraged, and not long ago it was very possible. Rememeber how close we were to players being able to walk away for nothing (similar to how Barrett joined us).
Also, as pointed out, people on here were baying for Warnocks blood at the idea of him buying Ambrose for 750,000, when we needed that money for survival. Now we're not even giving Southend a penny for their best players, makes you wonder what they think of Dougie now?

Couldn't have much more sympathy for Southend fans, they've really been through some bad times recently. Living in Essex now, I've got a lot of time for those who support Colchester or Southend, instead of following the typical Essex boys and becoming a Wet Spam or Spuds fan.

glaziers fan
08-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Let's sign 4 defenders, and a plethora of attacking midfielders in the mould of our 2 best outfield players Danns and Ambrose. All we need now is a goalkeeper to back up our best player Speroni and our transfer business is done.

This is why I preferred us with a transfer embargo. Doubling the size of the squad without improving the first11 is not very clever. IMHO.

glaziers fan
08-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Kilgallon is plying his trade in the Premier League; Fonte is plying his trade in League 1. Is that not all that needs to be said?

Fonte was decent for us. But irreplaceable? Crikey, that's a statement. I wouldn't have said our defence looked worse off when he upped sticks down the M3. I'd argue we didn't miss him at all. Calm at the back is one thing, careless is another thing and Fonte was prone to hesitance and haphazardness.

Typical Palace is quite correct. Anybody in the Prem could have had Fonte for a few hundred grand, but they didn't take him...I wonder why.

Factually incorrect cos he went for circa 750k. The transfer matket is not a science. If it was there's no way Fitz Hall would have been bought for 3m!

On top, we didn't miss him too much cos centre backs don't make the difference in th CCC - it's strikers that do, more than in the prem for example. However I'm in no doubt that font would be up to defending in the Premiership
if given the chance.

SpikeyMatt
08-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Factually incorrect cos he went for circa 750k. The transfer matket is not a science. If it was there's no way Fitz Hall would have been bought for 3m!

On top, we didn't miss him too much cos centre backs don't make the difference in th CCC - it's strikers that do, more than in the prem for example. However I'm in no doubt that font would be up to defending in the Premiership
if given the chance.

A player is worth as much as somebody wants to pay. That's the fact of the matter. Same with a house, same with anything. If somebody wants to pay X amount for something/someone, then that's their value. Of course it's up to debate whether they're worth it, but it gives you a market price.

Your second point is rubbish, and barely makes sense. Centre backs making more of a difference in one league than another? Really, do you honestly believe that? It's nonsensical in the extreme.

I'd also wager Fonte getting shown up in the Premier League for his lack of awareness and casual nature. But given that the chances of him ever playing there are remote, you can keep your money in your pocket.

Kirby
09-07-2010, 09:05 AM
I love it how for years people on here have said "I wish we'd stop signing these overpaid Premiership journeymen and look at talent from the lower leagues", then as soon as we start bringing in some potential gems for little or no money, it's "I wish we'd aim our sights a little higher than these lower league players".

You can't win :rolleyes:

I'm just happy we're (sensibly) signing people!

The Bishop
09-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Currently training with Huddersfield Town according to someone on the Southend United forum.

Diehard
10-07-2010, 06:14 AM
I love it how for years people on here have said "I wish we'd stop signing these overpaid Premiership journeymen and look at talent from the lower leagues", then as soon as we start bringing in some potential gems for little or no money, it's "I wish we'd aim our sights a little higher than these lower league players".

You can't win :rolleyes:

I'm just happy we're (sensibly) signing people!

Well said Kirby!!

This is the most excited I've been as a Palace fan for ages!

Aaroncpfc
10-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Bradford fans hold him in high regard. Sheffield United fans said they liked him when he made brief appearences and looked like a Championship level player and Southend fans believe he's always been useful for them. If we're looking to sign players with a good attitude who don't mind waiting for there chance to play in the first team we could do a lot worse than Simon Francis.

Ninja Eric
11-07-2010, 09:53 PM
This definitely isn't happening - from what I've heard he is either going to Millwall or to the Clowns. He's weighing up the options at the moment...

Agreed terms with Charlton - should be announced next week.....

prizesucker
30-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Indeed it has - 35k. Ninja Eric proved right on the money!