PDA

View Full Version : surely in the pre-season there will be a massive clear out

palacefan_72
23-03-2002, 02:01 AM
in the pre-season there will be a clear out thats prety obvious yeah?
if you had to sell 5 of our players who would it be and who would you buy to replace him or her( in hopkins case)
please dont take this as an excuse to have a go at akinbiyi give him some time 4 gods sake!
mine would be

hopkin - michael brown

austin - dunno

riihilati - matthew etherington?

edwards (is he still with us?) - anything would be better than him

berhalter - hes alrite all i could think off

GUCCI Eagle
23-03-2002, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by palacefan_72

austin - dunno

A cheese salad sandwich.

Ouch that Hurt!
23-03-2002, 02:12 AM

riihilati - matthew etherington?

edwards (is he still with us?) - anything would be better than him

Can't really see Etherington coming, can You? Whats wrong with Aki anyway.

Edwards hasn't been with us for ages. And I would say Austin wouldn't be better than him anyway.

pete eagle
23-03-2002, 02:19 AM
Hopkin,Rubins,Berhalter,Thomson and Harrison

Replaced by 2 or 3 good players

Murphy(i know he's here already but only on loan),Brown spring to mind

E.X Moontoad
23-03-2002, 02:37 AM
I'd agree with Pete Eagle's five with the possible exception of Thomson.
One player I would like to us sign in order to provide some real competition for Gray on the left is the excellent Kevin Cooper of Wimbledon.

pete eagle
23-03-2002, 02:39 AM
I went against my better judgement on Thomson, as he said 5, Thomson would be the last one on the list as he still hsn't really convinced me about his ability yet

RichieG
23-03-2002, 02:44 AM
I hope you would plan to give Harrison's broken leg a chance to heal first, and get him back to full fitness!

pete eagle
23-03-2002, 02:48 AM
he probably plays better with a broken leg

Walrus
23-03-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by pete eagle
he probably plays better with a broken leg

Ouch :moo: He speaks well of you I hear PE :D

pete eagle
23-03-2002, 03:06 AM
nice to hear:D ,

i feel sorry for him personally, breaking your leg cannot be anything other than very deeply depressing but the fact remains that most of us on the BBS could go past him blindfolded and on crutches:D

a.stew
23-03-2002, 01:38 PM
austin,hopkin,berhalter,rubins,murphy:veryangry

NSO
23-03-2002, 02:04 PM
Do the Club a favour ! Clear out TF !!!

Raoul Duke
23-03-2002, 02:15 PM
I'm sure that Jordan can't wait to cash in on these fine talents listed above :rolleyes:

DANGERMOUSE
23-03-2002, 02:24 PM
in the pre-season there will be a clear out thats prety obvious yeah?

I don't mean to be facaetious, but isn't the clearout already well under way?

Beanie
23-03-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
I'm sure that Jordan can't wait to cash in on these fine talents listed above :rolleyes:

According to Steve Kember there will be a clear out - and it has already started as is posted elsewhere - but the idea is not to bring in money or reduce wage bills, but to open the path for the youngsters developing at the academy, five of whom have been offered full contracts, by releasing players who have no realistic chance of more than the odd appearence at best. Can argue the truth of this - but I think it makes a lot of sense, so I hope it is true.

Avoiding the original question a little - I don't think anybody in the "main squad", with the exception Kirovski (Bosman) and Berhalter (on transfer list), are likely to leave this summer unless the player askes to go. With the 13/14 fringe / youth players who have already been released or who are due to be released/not offered contracts there is scope for 4 or 5 new faces by August and still end up with a more realistic squad.

Robin
24-03-2002, 05:26 PM
TF says that he wants to build his own team.

We know that his preferred defence will be:-

Clarke; Fleming;Popovic;Symons;Granville. He bought three of them.

So it must be midfield and attack he has in mind.

Morrison will go to meet his own ambitions and fund the rebuilding. Freedman will go because he is too lightweight for TF who prefers big strong strikers. It might improve Dougie's international career if he returns to Scotland. Mullins will go for the same reason as Freedman - not big enough.

Gray and Riihilahti will keep their places, but look out for two new midfielders and two big, athletic forwards.

Most of the fringe squad players, except Austin, will go, particularly Berhalter, Kirovski, Black, Smith and Hopkin.

AJ
24-03-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Robin

Freedman will go because he is too lightweight for TF who prefers big strong strikers. It might improve Dougie's international career if he returns to Scotland.

I cannot agree with this. Freedman got back into the Scotland limelight because of his form at Palace.
Freedman has never played football for a Scottish Team, that I can recall. He has playedn for QPR, Barnet, Palace, Wolves and Nottm Forest.
He has said on many occasions that he should never have left Palace in the first place.
I think if Francis tries to offload Freedman, Mr Jordan would not be amused.

jlmatthews
24-03-2002, 10:35 PM
Why are you putting Berhalter on this list when he is on a free? He isn't going to give us any extra revenue to spend on other players....

spt1978
25-03-2002, 02:12 AM
To replace hopkin wouldnt mind seeing Poulton from Grimsby or Putton from Forest, although he will probably go to a premiership club.

Scoot
25-03-2002, 01:26 PM

We know that his preferred defence will be:-

Clarke; Fleming;Popovic;Symons;Granville. He bought three of them.

So it must be midfield and attack he has in mind.

Morrison will go to meet his own ambitions and fund the rebuilding. Freedman will go because he is too lightweight for TF who prefers big strong strikers. It might improve Dougie's international career if he returns to Scotland. Mullins will go for the same reason as Freedman - not big enough.

Gray and Riihilahti will keep their places, but look out for two new midfielders and two big, athletic forwards.

Most of the fringe squad players, except Austin, will go, particularly Berhalter, Kirovski, Black, Smith and Hopkin.

I'd be more than a bit p!ssed off if they let Black, Freedman or Kirovski go.
Also cannot see why they should let Berhalter go, not a bad player, maybe needs a bit of time.
Mullins, hope they get a damn GOOD price.

Beanie
25-03-2002, 02:10 PM
Freedman will go because he is too lightweight for TF who prefers big strong strikers.

Francis signed Paul Peschisolido for Brum - hardly a big strong striker. Even Dougie is bigger than him!!

Clapham Grand
25-03-2002, 02:38 PM
Why should Deano go? He's in the form of his life (and doing well for Palace)

Jimbo ?
27-03-2002, 01:50 AM
we should keep kirovski (but it wont happen)
austin hoppy and maybe berhalter should go
brought in - 5 players to replace and strengthern the squad

I fear that it will be the good players leave though - mullins morrison and kirovski

Jimbo ?
27-03-2002, 01:52 AM
we should keep kirovski (but it wont happen)
austin hoppy and maybe berhalter should go and a few unwanted reserves/youth players
brought in - 5 players to replace and strengthern the squad

I fear that it will be the good players leave though - mullins morrison and kirovski