PDA

View Full Version : Ben Watson

jams1234
08-07-2010, 07:58 PM
So with Burley on the look out on the loan market for a playmaker, and with Ben on the fringes of the Wigan first team, why not? His mother still lives in the area and this is where he lived when on loan at QPR last year.

webbo1990
08-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Yeah Wigan keep doing this - buying good CCC players and leaving them on the fringe/sending them out on loan. I hope the same doesn't happen to Moses. Anyway, yes - i'd enjoy him back, if only on loan. Not sure of the wage situation. I guess we could afford part of it, with Wigan picking up the rest?

Paicey
08-07-2010, 08:04 PM
maybe if Ambrose gets injured. I find ambrose was the replacement for ben we really needed. He is better, scores more goals and his dead ball skills are better than bens. Corners are clearing the first man and free kicks are a real threat, where as bens were not.

jams1234
08-07-2010, 08:07 PM
maybe if Ambrose gets injured. I find ambrose was the replacement for ben we really needed. He is better, scores more goals and his dead ball skills are better than bens. Corners are clearing the first man and free kicks are a real threat, where as bens were not.
Ambrose plays on the wing for us though, and Burley has stated he feels we need a playmaker.

Bobsta
08-07-2010, 08:08 PM
**** him. Greedy ****.

Paicey
08-07-2010, 08:09 PM
We need a defensive midfielder and ben isn't this.

Mark_cpfc
08-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Wasn't Ben getting a run in the Wigan side toward the end of the season? Heard he was having some blinders

Dingle
08-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Wasn't Ben getting a run in the Wigan side toward the end of the season?

He was and looked very good by all accounts. My MOM in Wigan's win over Arsenal. I could see him playing a fair bit for them this season as could Moses, who looked very good towards the end of the season too. If only we could have kept them at Palace :sob:

philsick
08-07-2010, 08:15 PM

I disagree with nearly all of that.Ambrose is a great player at this level,but a completely different type of player than watson.Watson is a playmaker,who can dictate matches when on form.His corners did not always clear the fisrt man,but when they did,they were far more dangerous than a lofted chip.I imagine our scoring record was higher from corners when ben took them.Ambrose scores more direct from free kicks though.

I think watson will be a regular for wigan this year anyway.He played alot at the end of the season,including MOM performance v arsenal.I'm not going to bother following anything that happens in the shitty prem this year,apart from victor and bens progress at wigan.

Barbara4003
08-07-2010, 08:18 PM
No, no, no, no and no.

dannyboy1807
08-07-2010, 08:19 PM
When Ben returned from West Brom Martinez played him every game or near enough so I doubt there let him go.

SE25Eagle
08-07-2010, 08:23 PM
When Ben returned from West Brom Martinez played him every game or near enough so I doubt there let him go.

Good.

David Amsalem
08-07-2010, 08:25 PM
No, no, no, no and no.

How can somebody pray so much for a Tom Soares return yet be so against a Ben Watson return? Not that either will happen, and that's from a fan of both.

Watson is far too good for us.

woz1974
08-07-2010, 08:28 PM
**** him. Greedy ****.
This ^^^^^^

CHE
08-07-2010, 08:37 PM
This ^^^^^^
is bollocks

David Amsalem
08-07-2010, 08:39 PM
**** him. Greedy ****.

Oh, and you're an idiot.

What exactly is your ridiculous opinion based on?

hughff
08-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Like Manure be relegated for breaching the FA's "no wankers" legislation, this is not going to happen though I'd be delighted if it did.

hughff
08-07-2010, 08:43 PM
oh, and wrong forum! :D

Heb 7:4
08-07-2010, 08:44 PM
We haven't a hope of getting him back. Amusing that some people would turn their noses up at him

CPFC_DAVE77
08-07-2010, 08:47 PM
He played 169 times and was carrying us at times, he had every right to look for a move for footballing reasons if he felt he could not achieve what he wanted with us. He is an exceptional passer of the ball and a very good footballer who deserves respect from our fans. Then again, certain comments on here echo those that booed him when he took a penalty. I'm 22, and so a relatively young fan, but since having my season ticket aged 5, never have I been more upset than to stand among fellow 'fans' in the Holmesdale while grown men boo a 19 year old academy graduate.

He shouldn't come back for the attitude displayed my many people on here; but if Wigan should chose to discard him, someone will pick up a very able footballer; and it won't be us.

glaziers fan
08-07-2010, 08:49 PM
He's way too good for us. A proper Premiership player. He is similar to carrick in style. He could play the holding role as well as playmaker.

Pistol Knight
08-07-2010, 08:52 PM
We have a FRESH start at Palace, forget all the "ex" players (MORRISION ESPECIALLY) NEW signing is what we want, free transfers, not players who may help us, until their club wants them back, no matter who they are, and who they play for, IMHO we want and need contracted players who want to wear our shirt

cpfcfan1
08-07-2010, 08:58 PM
He's way too good for us. A proper Premiership player. He is similar to carrick in style. He could play the holding role as well as playmaker.

Oh dear

Jim Cannon
08-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Wasn't Ben getting a run in the Wigan side toward the end of the season? Heard he was having some blinders
He looked good when I saw him. Strange cos he played well when he was there before he went out on loan, maybe he hates being up north

Jim Cannon
08-07-2010, 09:05 PM
No, no, no, no and no.
With respect Barbara you'd have Tommy Soares back and I think I know who is better

brooklynlou
08-07-2010, 09:06 PM
He's not coming back and I would argue we wouldn't know what to do with him if he did.

Watson was designed for the Premiership - his game is distributing the ball around and keeping play moving. He's not a goal scorer and if near the box, his first thought is to pass it rather than take the shot. If you have speedy players on the wings or a striker that can accelerate forward, Watson is your man. (Remember AJ, Routledge and Gray?). At this time we unfortunately lack these types of players.

Soares on the other hand plays football like he has ADD. Until Soares can learn to play a full 90 minutes with his head in the game, instead of wandering aimlessly around the pitch for 85 and providing an occasional 5 minutes of brilliance, he's a liability. Its like playing with a man down. He'll be lucky if he can get loaned out to a CCC side.

ANDYEAGLE
08-07-2010, 09:17 PM

No he is a good championship player. Unproven as yet in the premier. He done nothing in his loan spell at QPR either. If he ever came back on loan Wigan would have to pay half his wages.

Ardent
08-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Yeah Wigan keep doing this - buying good CCC players and leaving them on the fringe/sending them out on loan. I hope the same doesn't happen to Moses. Anyway, yes - i'd enjoy him back, if only on loan. Not sure of the wage situation. I guess we could afford part of it, with Wigan picking up the rest?

Just about agree with this. We need creative players you only need to witness the England world cup debacle to realise this, not suggesting Watson is the answer to Ingerlands problems (he's not that good) but for the Championship (definately) and the (Premiership) possibly he is. In fact GB has already stated this is one of our major requirements and there are not many players available. As for Soares tremendous athlete, with necessary football skills but completely lacking any creative ability.

rhynoeagle
08-07-2010, 09:34 PM
He was never really any good at Palace, but he is the sort of player we need to complete our midfeild. But lets face it, it isnt happening..

philsick
08-07-2010, 09:41 PM
He was never really any good at Palace,

:rolleyes: I'm not going to bother looking in this thread anymore.

CPFC_DAVE77
08-07-2010, 09:50 PM
He was never really any good at Palace, but he is the sort of player we need to complete our midfeild.

Ignoring the player, that statement is completely mental in itself; you OK Ryan?

a9lpc
08-07-2010, 09:51 PM
No way, why does everyone want past players, its time to move on..

CPFC_DAVE77
08-07-2010, 09:53 PM
No way, why does everyone want past players, its time to move on..

Aint about wanting him back for me, it's about not being so blind to accept a player had talent.

a9lpc
08-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Aint about wanting him back for me, it's about not being so blind to accept a player had talent.

not doubting that dave, surely everyone is excited to see the new palace! :lux:

Bobsta
08-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm allowed my opinion mate and I don't need to explain it to a **** like you, just **** off will you? Ignored.

Bobsta
08-07-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm allowed my opinion mate and I don't need to explain it to a **** like you, just **** off will you? Ignored.

for the record this is a message to David "I'm a nob head amsalem"

David Amsalem
08-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Nice.

Bobsta
08-07-2010, 10:17 PM
View Post Today, 11:16 PM
This message is hidden because David Amsalem is on your ignore list.

How refreshing.

doodledandy
08-07-2010, 10:22 PM
When is everyone going to get away from nominating former Palace players? Surely we need to move on and not go back to the future.

Next you'll be suggesting Gray, Black, Routledge and any other player who's been on the Palace books since the last world war and still alaive. Get over it FFS and move on.

CPFC_DAVE77
08-07-2010, 10:22 PM

But he didn't question your right to an opinion, just the base on which you opinion was formed.

David Amsalem
08-07-2010, 10:23 PM
View Post Today, 11:16 PM
This message is hidden because David Amsalem is on your ignore list.

How refreshing.

i) I don't care and ii) I know you read it anyway.

But enough of that, and back to the thread... I really can't believe people wouldn't welcome Watson back. Not that it would happen anyway, he finished the season so strongly with Wigan. I hope he starts the season for them in the starting eleven. I'm intrigued to see how Moses gets on as well.

budgie
08-07-2010, 10:31 PM
I'd be interested to know why anyone would think Watson wouldn't be good enough for us.

I don't think there's a chance we could resign him, as he will become a regular for Wigan this year, and realistically I'm more than happy with Burley looking to bring in fresh talent, rather than going back.

As for the comments re greedy, the fee recieved for Ben kept the club afloat. This is why clubs like Palace have acadamies, to fund the club, to allow us to continue, and hopefully climb the league, and get to the Premier League.

We might like to think it's nice to exist in the Championship, but the reality is all football bosses, like players want to get to Sky land, to get the big money.

FromSelhurst
08-07-2010, 10:53 PM
would be a backward step for ben.

Bobsta
08-07-2010, 11:28 PM
But he didn't question your right to an opinion, just the base on which you opinion was formed.

he did mate, he called me stupid or a moron or something because I don't want Watson back, my reasons are my own I guess I suppose I got the feeling he didn't want to play for us towards the end!

But the guy always snipes my posts and makes comments that piss me off he does the same to people I know too, oh well he's ignored now! :)

etu
08-07-2010, 11:44 PM
If Martinez lets him go after the performances in the end of season run in, he's an idiot.

There isn't a hope in hell of getting him but it would be, on paper, an amazing signing if we did.

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
09-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Why do some people always keep looking back not forward :confused:

Maidstoned Eagle
09-07-2010, 06:32 AM
He played 169 times and was carrying us at times, he had every right to look for a move for footballing reasons if he felt he could not achieve what he wanted with us. He is an exceptional passer of the ball and a very good footballer who deserves respect from our fans. Then again, certain comments on here echo those that booed him when he took a penalty. I'm 22, and so a relatively young fan, but since having my season ticket aged 5, never have I been more upset than to stand among fellow 'fans' in the Holmesdale while grown men boo a 19 year old academy graduate.

He shouldn't come back for the attitude displayed my many people on here; but if Wigan should chose to discard him, someone will pick up a very able footballer; and it won't be us.
Well said.

gold76
09-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Clearly a talented player, never fully appreciated here, was having his best spell just prior to being sold.

I'll never forget that he was booed when he showed the bottle to take a penalty.

That said however he'll be looking at 10k plus a week no doubt, so maybe Forest will go for him, not one for prudent Palace.

Lords Eagle
09-07-2010, 07:08 AM

Totally agree with all of that :p Oh, except unfortunetly I'm not 22 but have been watching Palace for over 50 years!

Jordan's Jacket
09-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Best player we've had in recent years. Those opposing his return are clearly ignorant in things football

sydnsteve
09-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Would be a fantastic move, though I doubt it will happen. This is nothing to do with looking backward, this is about a young, very good footballer. But we could not afford his wages.

stevek
09-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Ben was excellent for us; and has shown glimpses of his ability in the Premiership.

But could we try and show a bit more imagination that just suggesting re-signing ex-players?

Freddy Kurz
09-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Why are so many people on BBS living in a time-warp? I have no strong
objections at re-signing Ben Watson(although his wages are likely to be
way above what CPFC2010 are currently able to afford) Nor would I be
averse to offering Clinton a one-year deal, provided his wage demands
are what our club can afford. But why are some Palace fans so bloody
scared of our new manager bringing in some NEW talent and trying out
players and ideas that aren't precisely in the comfort-zone of the same
old group of BBSers that seem always to dominate the thinking and
discussion on these Boards???

Most of the great football teams that have been built anywhere in the
world have had a new revolutionary element to them, making them
unpredictable to their opponents. Precisely what would be NEW
in a team with a Ben Watson or a Clinton Morrison in it?

Whilst I wouldn't object to either, if George Burley's budget can
afford them, but I really think we should encourage the manager
and Dougie to try and build and develop their own kind of football
team and not force them into a strait-jacket of the past, which,
let's face it, wasn't all that successful, was it?

A word of warning: old players often form unprincipled personal
cliques amongst themselves and with some of the fans, which
can lead to disunity within a squad

Good managers will try to develop unity among the WHOLE squad,
and prevent any hint of favouritism arising.

cpfc4evandeva
09-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Why are people so surprised that lots of ex-players are mentioned and suggested on this board?

The majority of us are not lucky enough to have a job in football and so we are only going to have a good knowledge of Palace players. We don't have time to watch every minute of every league game and so the most we're going to see is highlight reels of other teams' players.

ardeo
09-07-2010, 08:48 AM
A quality player that is too good for us and too expensive for our current situation.

Hopefully will start regularly for Wigan this season with Moses as well.

Beckenham Boy
09-07-2010, 08:50 AM
A would take him back in a blink of an eye lid, but unfortunately I think he will be a premiership starter most weeks next season

rhynoeagle
09-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I apologise for what i said previously, I understand it will upset some fans as he was one of our most successful youngsters. But really people are saying he's one of the best players we've seen in years ? He couldnt ever cross it over the first man. I can't remember him doing anything that will be remembered in the near future either.

It is only my opinion and maybe its harsh, but like Hundreds and Hundreds of fans get angry at another one of our youth product Soares, i always remeber me getting frustrated watching Watson.

GreatGonzo
09-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Ben was excellent for us; and has shown glimpses of his ability in the Premiership.

But could we try and show a bit more imagination that just suggesting re-signing ex-players?

People suggest we sign domeone like Lansbury or Cleverley and they are told its a good suggestion, but they are likely to go to Prem sides this year. They suggest Watson and it is looking backwards?

Watson and Lansbury are not a million miles different apart from one used to play for us and the other is from one of the top sides academy's.

IF and it is a big if, Watson was available for loan then he is different to anything we have at present, for me he is a good suggestion and yes i would have him back.

Another poster aske who was next and suggested Routledge? Would that be the winger Wayne Routledge who did well in the Prem for us, was an attacking force for QPR at the start of last season and ended up back in the premiership with Newcastle, Wayne Routledge? Would i like him in on loan? Yes i ******* would! Again unlikely to happen though.

If we had sold Messi a few years ago, i honestly think a significant proportion of the BBS would turn a loan move down for him - its madness!

CPFC_DAVE77
09-07-2010, 09:15 AM
I apologise for what i said previously, I understand it will upset some fans as he was one of our most successful youngsters. But really people are saying he's one of the best players we've seen in years ? He couldnt ever cross it over the first man. I can't remember him doing anything that will be remembered in the near future either.

It is only my opinion and maybe its harsh, but like Hundreds and Hundreds of fans get angry at another one of our youth product Soares, i always remeber me getting frustrated watching Watson.

Header V Bristol City away?

stevek
09-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Where did I say I wouldn't welcome Ben back? I just find it amusing that 90% of the signing suggestions on here are ex-Palace players.

wedgetail
09-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Watson was our best player before he moved and would improve our current team great deal, however it is time to move on as he won't be coming back even if we could afford him.

The only ex players we should be look at resigning are forwards near the end of their careers desperate to break goal scoring records.

Biggineagle
09-07-2010, 09:30 AM
NO

GreatGonzo
09-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Where did I say I wouldn't welcome Ben back? I just find it amusing that 90% of the signing suggestions on here are ex-Palace players.

Probably the same reason that Hill and Derry have gone to QPR - the easiest people to suggest are those you know best.

90% is an exageration as you know but different people knowledge of different leagues plays a big part. 90% of some peoples suggestions are Aussies we have never heard of! lol

Halfwayline
09-07-2010, 09:42 AM
I always called him the "1 in 3 man"

One good game, one bad game, one average game.

One corner in three will ever reach its target.

No thank you.

adrenalin john
09-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Watson is a class player. Gutted he left absolutely gutted.

Biggineagle
09-07-2010, 09:47 AM
I always called him the "1 in 3 man"

One good game, one bad game, one average game.

No thank you.

Perfect description, you missed out powder puff daisycutter shots tho

GreatGonzo
09-07-2010, 09:51 AM

From how many corners did we score with him taking them. How many have we scored from corners since?

rhynoeagle
09-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Header V Bristol City away?

Penalty miss Same Game ?

Owngoal
09-07-2010, 10:23 AM
The 'support' that Ben got from some people was disgusting - Kuqie was better treated by many. Would you come back?

beveling8
09-07-2010, 10:38 AM
This discussion is absolutely crazy, Ben was a class player for us and has moved on. He won't be coming back and I wish him all the best at Wigan, because personally I like to see a local lad who has come up through the youth system do well.

CPFC_DAVE77
09-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Penalty miss Same Game ?

At least he had the nuts to step up.

smileysmith
09-07-2010, 10:51 AM
^^^^^^ This.

orp pisshead1
09-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Spot on:p

Freddy Kurz
09-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Why are people so surprised that lots of ex-players are mentioned and suggested on this board?

The majority of us are not lucky enough to have a job in football and so we are only going to have a good knowledge of Palace players. We don't have time to watch every minute of every league game and so the most we're going to see is highlight reels of other teams' players.

But George Burley and Dougie Freedman HAVE watched vast numbers of
players at other clubs, so why not let them try to build their own team?
It isn't as if Clinton and Ben have been playing on Mars for the last 10
or 12 years......

Ralph
09-07-2010, 10:53 AM
People that dont want Watson are totally deluded and out of touch with our level and standards. Any club signing Watson in this division would be immeasurably better than they were without him.

Freddy Kurz
09-07-2010, 10:55 AM

And why did he leave? To get more money, something CPFC1910 are
somewhat short of at the present time......

red&blue_moomin
09-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Perfect description, you missed out powder puff daisycutter shots tho

Yeah, except that he had an assist rate near 20 odd so uh yeah he was rubbish wasn't he? It amuses me greatly that some people would take Soares back who provided some bustle, athletism and not a huge lot else as opposed to the bloke that used to create a lot of our goals. He was the best playmaker that Palace have had for quite a while. Ambrose while great for scoring goals doesn't seem to pull strings. When we lost Paddy and Ben our defence and midfield fell apart. Lets not forget NW was trying to flog Watson the season he went and yet when he got put back in the team some time after the Leeds debacle our form suddenly turned around.

Freddy Kurz
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
People that dont want Watson are totally deluded and out of touch with our level and standards. Any club signing Watson in this division would be immeasurably better than they were without him.

And how much do you think Watson would require to move from Premier League Wigan to Championship Palace? THAT is the key issue, NOT how skilful a player he is.

Palace currently can't afford his kind of wages, so please don't kid yourself, or others.

If you don't believe me, write to Burley and ask him yourself.

Clapham Grand
09-07-2010, 11:02 AM

spot on

Ralph
09-07-2010, 11:04 AM
And how much do you think Watson would require to move from Premier League Wigan to Championship Palace? THAT is the key issue, NOT
how skilful a player he is. Palace currently can't afford his kind of
wages, so please don't kid yourself.

I'm not. If anything I'm agreeing with you - he's a Premier League player [in quality and wages]. IF CPFC2010 could afford him and he wanted to come back it would not be as bad a thing as people are saying.

09-07-2010, 11:09 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^ :)

Freddy Kurz
09-07-2010, 11:13 AM
From how many corners did we score with him taking them. How many have we scored from corners since?

GG no matter how many perfectly brilliant political arguments you and others
may put up in support of Palace re-signing Ben Watson - one thing is almost
certainly going to deny you - namely his current uncompleted contract with
Wigan and the amount of salary he and his agent are likely to want to sign
for Palace.

Financial reality at Selhurst Park currently dictates that it is hard cash that
in the final analysis determines team-building policy not strong arguments,
at least for the next season or two.

Ian Holloway built a promotion-winning side last season with mainly loan-
signings, and Burley has plenty of experience at doing the same and he
has made no secret that he intends doing likewise at Palace, which is
why he is highly unlikely to splash the cash on players like Ben Watson.

I'll never forget the shameful booing Ben got at the Holmesdale end as
he went up to take a Palace penalty, so the Club were lucky he stayed
as long he did to those play-offs. Think he should be allowed to try
and establish himself in the Premier League, with no turning back.

Hofefully he and Victor can do it together.

09-07-2010, 11:18 AM
GG no matter how many perfectly brilliant political arguments you and others
may put up in support of Palace re-signing Ben Watson - one thing is almost
certainly going to deny you - namely his current uncompleted contract with
Wigan and the amount of salary he and his agent are likely to want to sign
for Palace.

Spot on. i suggest if anyone wants to start a Ben Watson Appreciation Thread they should do so in Memory Lane not the Transfer Hotline.

BTW I thought BW was an outstanding player for us and was treated absymally by some fans. But I am realistic, he won't be coming back, mainly because we cannot afford him. Remember back two months ago or less we nearly had no club to support at all. We don't want to go back there...do we?

clipper
09-07-2010, 11:20 AM
So with Burley on the look out on the loan market for a playmaker, and with Ben on the fringes of the Wigan first team, why not? His mother still lives in the area and this is where he lived when on loan at QPR last year.

no way, no watson and no morrison please, leroy lita would be a good one.

Freddy Kurz
09-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm not. If anything I'm agreeing with you - he's a Premier League player [in quality and wages]. IF CPFC2010 could afford him and he wanted to come back it would not be as bad a thing as people are saying.

Would agree with that. Thought that the televised home game in which Wigan beat the Gooners, showed that he is making a development & could well become an established Premier League player
- meaning well out of Palace's current price-range.

brighton_eagle
09-07-2010, 12:02 PM
**** him. Greedy ****.

Behave.

nathe
09-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Would love him back but i can't see it happening.

SE25Eagle
09-07-2010, 12:37 PM

A lot more since he left, he could never beat the first man from a corner

PALACEWU
09-07-2010, 12:43 PM
no way, no watson and no morrison please, leroy lita would be a good one.

:rolleyes: I assume you are joing?

dannyturner
09-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Not even getting past the first man on corners and free kicks, what a playmaker! Thanks Ben, but no thanks.

rhynoeagle
09-07-2010, 02:38 PM
At least he had the nuts to step up.

It shouldn't of been any different, he was our clubs penalty taker. But i'm not blaming the miss, everyone misses.

I still like Ben, i dont see any point in "Hating" him, i think if we were to go back to an ex player we could do better. :D

Halfwayline
09-07-2010, 02:56 PM

I would expect a park player who specilised in corner/free kicks to get 1 in 3 to the intended target, any professional outfield player should get 2 out of 3. A pro footballer whose primary task is to deliver a corner/free kick to one of his players should get 8 out of 10.