PDA

View Full Version : Andrew to sign a contract in the next few days...

glaziers fan
13-07-2010, 07:37 PM
:lux: :lux: :lux:

Ps. Don't worry, Harry Monk didn't tell me this ;)

Maximus Dowieus
13-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Phew what a relief.

cpfcfan1
13-07-2010, 07:48 PM
I read this as Ambrose to sign a new contract.. :(

Anyway, good news if true

PT109
13-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Phew what a relief.
Exactly. Rumours pushed around by Harry have been well dodgy recently.

rhynoeagle
13-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Will he ever score a league goal ?

CPFC_DAVE77
13-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Will he ever score a league goal ?

He has so don't see why he won't again.

rhynoeagle
13-07-2010, 08:06 PM

Fair play i didnt realise he scored 1.

I know hes still quite young but, news like this doesnt excite me.

AJ's right boot
13-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Why was this moved to the transfer forum?

ChristalPalace
13-07-2010, 08:25 PM

It shouldn't have counted, to be fair. ;)

Clear handball in the build-up.

the kooch
13-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Let's hope it's a 1 year deal.

rhynoeagle
13-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Let's hope it's a 1 year deal.

or 1 week..

Ok thats harsh, but our youth academy platers are better then he is.

Jason
13-07-2010, 09:04 PM
or 1 week..

Ok thats harsh, but our youth academy platers are better then he is.

Harsh. Very harsh indeed.

He came into the side midway through last season when we had lost some good players, were in admin, and clearly struggling with everything that was going on. He was also coming back from a career threatening injury, and was having his first meaningful run at CCC level.

Given the above, its hardly surprising that he didn't set the world alight. What he did do though, was work his bollocks off, and play a role in us staying in the CCC (and perhaps in business as a result). He also got better as the run in went on, and showed enough attributes to suggest he might yet develop into a good player at this level.

For that alone, he deserves (at least) another year to try and prove himself, and the full support of all of us while he does so.

beef
13-07-2010, 09:08 PM
I like him

CPFC_DAVE77
13-07-2010, 09:18 PM
I personally do not feel he is much quality at this level. I have and always will think this. However, his performance at Watford was absolutely outstanding and was one of many essential flashpoints of our season. I will back any player, particularly one who is clearly wanting to play for us. It is ludicrous to think he may actually offer more value in his 'banter value/team spirit' persona than he will provide in goals and assists?

Anyway, he aint gonna set the world alight, but he gives it his all and costs us very little, give me an Andrew over a Kuqi any day :)

rhynoeagle
13-07-2010, 10:21 PM
The points you made above are valid. Whoever puts the shirt on for palace i will offer support. However like you said he doesnt have much quality.

HOWEVER..

He was one of the -10 Survival Heroic squad and therefore he does deserve to stay.

unsensibleLiam
13-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Andrew is a very good player, and I am pretty sure he'll prove the doubters wrong this season.

Webb
13-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Andrew is a very good player, and I am pretty sure he'll prove the doubters wrong this season.

He's not, and sadly I don't think he will.

While I like CA, he's a solid, decent yet slightly unspectacular player who puts maximum effort in every time. He plays to the best of his ability, and worth having as a good member of the squad, but nothing more.

A slightly better, less pacey Wayne Andrews would be the comparsion I'd make.

aderuk1
13-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Have you been watching the same player as everyone else :) thats really unsensible

rainbow_child
13-07-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm sure he will be a useful member of the squad next season and prove many of his detractors wrong and weigh in with 25 league goals! :D

glaziers fan
13-07-2010, 11:02 PM
or 1 week..

Ok thats harsh, but our youth academy players are better then he is.

He's a better prospect than Scannell.

His touch is improving and he has nearly as much pace whilst being 6'3", very good in the air, strong as an ox and with a left foot too.

His finishing is not too bad either - he seems to get most on target (unlike Bruce Dyer): once it clicks I think he'll be very good and he's already good enough to do a job as a starter in the championship.

I'm his number 1 fan though so I am biased. I'm so excited cos he seems very passionate and willing to learn though, for example what he said about Dougie's input. :)

rhynoeagle
13-07-2010, 11:05 PM

His touch is improving and he has nearly as much pace whilst being 6'3", very good in the air, strong as an ox and with a left foot too.

His finishing is not too bad either - he seems to get most on target (unlike Bruce Dyer): once it clicks I think he'll be very good and he's already good enough to do a job as a starter in the championship.

I'm his number 1 fan though so I am biased. I'm so excited cos he seems very passionate and willing to learn though, for example what he said about Dougie's input. :)

He has the most unaccurate shot i have ever seen !!!

He's fastish, hes strong and hes tall. But he seriously need to work on his footballing ability because he lacks that alot.

He seems like a hard worker which is fair. But hardwrokers wont get us far im afraid.

Skid Row
13-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Meh.

unsensibleLiam
13-07-2010, 11:30 PM
He's not, and sadly I don't think he will.

While I like CA, he's a solid, decent yet slightly unspectacular player who puts maximum effort in every time. He plays to the best of his ability, and worth having as a good member of the squad, but nothing more.

A slightly better, less pacey Wayne Andrews would be the comparsion I'd make.

We'll see. I think he proved towards the end of last season he is a good player. All he needs are goals, and once a couple come, they'll come more frequently.

glaziers fan
13-07-2010, 11:37 PM
We'll see. I think he proved towards the end of last season he is a good player. All he needs are goals, and once a couple come, they'll come more frequently.

Exactly. To me, most of his shots towards end of season were on target, even if straight at the keeper!

Once one goes in I expect more and more to be nestling. But he brings so much to his game that goalscoring is not such a pressure for him imho.

To me it's down to the strikers and the midfielders like Ambrose to net 10-15 each. That'd be enough :)

beef
13-07-2010, 11:58 PM
He does need to take his chances more, he has time on his side and with a run in the side and some confidence he can do it. I was impressed with Andrew last season and appreciate the role he played in keeping us up.

I'd far rather have this type of player than the over-hyped, expensive journeyman crap we've had before.

beef
14-07-2010, 12:00 AM
And the Wayne Andrews comparison is not a good one. Wayne was much older and other than pace had limited ability in every area. He didn't prove he could add something to the team and was very clearly out of depth.

gold76
14-07-2010, 07:31 AM
A work in progress

Put in a good stint 2nd half last night

glaziers fan
14-07-2010, 07:34 AM
A work in progress

Put in a good stint 2nd half last night

Cracking news :)

Scoot
14-07-2010, 07:39 AM

Agree 100% :p

philsick
14-07-2010, 07:46 AM
I think he will be an important player for us this season.He's got pace,power,he can hold the ball up,win headers.Ok he's never going to be prolific in front of goal,but he is capable of causing plenty of problems for defenders.I just worry that because like n'diaye,he is very raw,they will be first target for the wanker boo boys if things dont go our way early doors.

audreytatou
14-07-2010, 07:49 AM
good news, I look forward to to seeing his game develop this season...i gotta good feeling about him:)

nathe
14-07-2010, 07:57 AM
I think Andrew and scannell will be very good players for us this season. We haven't seen the best of them and I think Burley will polish their rough edges

stinky
14-07-2010, 08:11 AM
A lot of harsh comments on here. Unbelievable really. Doesn't take long for the player bashing to start, does it?

NateEagle
14-07-2010, 08:13 AM

Agree with this (maybe not the Scannell part though as they are different players) but I for one am very glad he has (will) sign a new contract. :lux:

Kevan Woz Awful
14-07-2010, 08:32 AM
A lot of harsh comments on here. Unbelievable really. Doesn't take long for the player bashing to start, does it?

Think that's bad? Just wait until we hit the inevitable rough patch and the 'spudz type' followers start screaming for the managers head.

Didn't take long for the "I don't care what league we play in as long as we have a club" outlook to start to crumble did it.

We have a club, we have players who want to play for us, we have a better manager than we are entitled to and still some want to rubbish extending the contract of one of our young players.
As you say Stinky, Unbelieveable !

stinky
14-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Think that's bad? Just wait until we hit the inevitable rough patch and the 'spudz type' followers start screaming for the managers head.

Didn't take long for the "I don't care what league we play in as long as we have a club" outlook to start to crumble did it.

We have a club, we have players who want to play for us, we have a better manager than we are entitled to and still some want to rubbish extending the contract of one of our young players.
As you say Stinky, Unbelieveable !

Spot on

kolinkins
14-07-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm glad that he will sign in so far as we need numbers. Not sure what sort of job he'll do for us this year - though a proper pre-season (which he did not have last year) may work well for him.

Palestinian
14-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Exactly. To me, most of his shots towards end of season were on target, even if straight at the keeper!

Once one goes in I expect more and more to be nestling. But he brings so much to his game that goalscoring is not such a pressure for him imho.

To me it's down to the strikers and the midfielders like Ambrose to net 10-15 each. That'd be enough :)
Agree - he's a work in progress, a good squad player who seems to have all the attributes to be a decent Championship striker and if he can find the net a few times early in the seasoncould suprise a few people this campaign

Owngoal
14-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Calvin does not have the 'eye for goal' that the best have, he is very much in the Emile Heskey mould. He is a good squad player to have as Alan Lee by his style of play will be injured and suspended at times, as well as needing substitution. Getting a striker a lot better than Calvin requires a lot of money. He will not set the division alight but he will not let us down. Hopefully we will add a striker and there should be a lot of goals from our midfield trio of definite starters and centre backs.

sirdougie
14-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Good. He's not a starting XI player, but his pace and energy are useful late on in games; whether we're chasing a goal or just harrying their defenders and providing an outlet if we're defending a lead.

cockles
14-07-2010, 09:00 AM

Yes, was what I was thinking. I would how many of the bashers ever could actually play football themselves...

I've said many times on other threads how much potential I see in Calvin - and I'll be really happy if we do get him signed up as there is a decent chance he'll develop into a very useful player indeed & I'd hate for Brighton or someone to benefit from the development Palace have put into him so far.

Goals are the big miss from his game. He gets chances - good, gets most on target - very good, but lacks goals for us. He needs to develop some guile in his finishing & so I'm hoping Dougie plus Brighty maybe can coach him in that.

bgh2172
14-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Here's hoping he does an "a la Darren Ambrose" this forthcoming season.

rhynoeagle
14-07-2010, 09:15 AM

1 goal in 33 games is enough at any level, any league to realise they shouldnt be a striker.

Its not as if im going to grill him like everyone did with Soares or Kuqi, i just belive we have better players available then CA

adrenalin john
14-07-2010, 09:37 AM
I think he will be an important player for us this season.He's got pace,power,he can hold the ball up,win headers.Ok he's never going to be prolific in front of goal,but he is capable of causing plenty of problems for defenders.I just worry that because like n'diaye,he is very raw,they will be first target for the wanker boo boys if things dont go our way early doors.

The lad has been despearately unlucky with injuries, and a full pre-season will do him no end of good.

As philsick says he is raw, but I think he has got loads going for him. He has power, genuine pace and is a selfless player. If he reminds me of anyone it is Andy Johnson in the way that he ceaselessly runs the channels to make a passing option for his teamates and becuase of his pace actually makes their passes look good.

He worked incredibly hard for the cause towards the end of last season and his performances gradually improved, if he keeps on improving then he could be a high quality Championship striker.

I just hope our crowd don't get on his back because he doesn't have the skill of Victor Moses.

In a strange way when our future looked so bleak a whiles ago I was looking forward to seeing Andrew and Scannel being our front two in League One

THETwins
14-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I like him and hope he can get a couple of early goals under his belt. Type of striker defenders hate to play against and he worked his bóllócks off 2nd half of the season. Even if he doesn't prove to be prolific - he will end up being a feared opponent who has power, pace and bundles of energy and creates chances for other members of the team. Glad he's staying! :D

pardew's shorts
14-07-2010, 11:08 AM

I like Calvin, but this is nonsense.

In fact, I've always thought Calvin could do a job as a holding midfielder.

CPFC_DAVE77
14-07-2010, 11:08 AM

That is also nonsense.

pardew's shorts
14-07-2010, 11:37 AM
That is also nonsense.

Joke (look at some of GF's other lunatic posts).

kolinkins
14-07-2010, 11:40 AM

:D:D:D:D:D

People quoting GF always makes me laugh

Reps AJ
14-07-2010, 11:58 AM
1 goal in 33 games is enough at any level, any league to realise they shouldnt be a striker.

Its not as if im going to grill him like everyone did with Soares or Kuqi, i just belive we have better players available then CA
To be fair he did score 2 goals last season! I know, I wouldn't believe it either but I witnessed them both.

rhynoeagle
14-07-2010, 12:09 PM
To be fair he did score 2 goals last season! I know, I wouldn't believe it either but I witnessed them both.

Fair enough 2 in 42

If we can work on his shooting and touch he can be a threat, he could be a good target men if he could head a little better.

Hes tall, fast and strong.. Thats it.

glaziers fan
14-07-2010, 12:27 PM

I think N'Diaye and Andrew will actually become fan favourites - they are cult style players with huge personality and heart, not to mention physiques. The goal that Andrew scored in front of holmesdale was a poacher's finish, and the celebration with the fans was incredible: he already seems to have an affinity with the majority. He works hard, and he is such a handful, so I think he'll escape the boo boys.

Time will tell though.

glaziers fan
14-07-2010, 12:33 PM
:D:D:D:D:D

People quoting GF always makes me laugh

There's no need for this constant uncalled-for abuse. :( I find you really disrespectful and insulting. Why not just stick to the subject matter we're debating? Such a shame cos you do bring some interesting opinions to these forums.

stinky
14-07-2010, 02:28 PM
There's no need for this constant uncalled-for abuse. :( I find you really disrespectful and insulting. Why not just stick to the subject matter we're debating? Such a shame cos you do bring some interesting opinions to these forums.

To be fair, you do come out with some fairly mental remarks, comments and opinions sometimes. Only sometimes, mind

Sambuccy
14-07-2010, 02:37 PM
I like him. Think he'll prove a lot of people wrong this season.

nathe
14-07-2010, 02:40 PM
I like him. Think he'll prove a lot of people wrong this season.

glaziers fan?

adrenalin john
14-07-2010, 02:41 PM

GF I alwayes enjoy your posts and opinions, I think though you have to expect that if you make comment some will reply personally and you shouldn't take offence.

Particularly if the poster is Kolinkins, who has a good heart and whose attack capabilities are the equivalent of being mauled by a toothless new-born lamb on tranquilizers

stinky
14-07-2010, 02:43 PM
glaziers fan?

:D:D

Sambuccy
14-07-2010, 02:49 PM
glaziers fan?

Sorry. I don't get it.

Absolution
14-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I think he is more likely to score in a 4-4-2, as in the formation we played last season he worked his arse off for the team, but didn't get all that many clear chances himself. Strong in the air, fairly quick and physical.. he can have a role to play in our squad.

glaziers fan
14-07-2010, 03:27 PM
GF I alwayes enjoy your posts and opinions, I think though you have to expect that if you make comment some will reply personally and you shouldn't take offence.

Particularly if the poster is Kolinkins, who has a good heart and whose attack capabilities are the equivalent of being mauled by a toothless new-born lamb on tranquilizers

Thank you. I don't normally take offence personally, when it's from the mindless morons. But I know Kolinkins is a decent intelligent guy, so I am just disappointed that he feels the need to *constantly* find any reason to attack me, even if it means taking the thread off-topic. I thought he was better than that :( I just thought I'd highlight it anyway...

cockles
14-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Sorry. I don't get it.

Many people have been picking on glaziers fan in this thread, and do generally. (I don't see why tho..?) Hence glaziers fan will have a good season....

Celestial Empire
14-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Calvin does not have the 'eye for goal' that the best have, he is very much in the Emile Heskey mould. He is a good squad player to have as Alan Lee by his style of play will be injured and suspended at times, as well as needing substitution. Getting a striker a lot better than Calvin requires a lot of money. He will not set the division alight but he will not let us down. Hopefully we will add a striker and there should be a lot of goals from our midfield trio of definite starters and centre backs.

He's much more mobile than Heskey, more like Carlton Cole, who also took a bit of time to get in the groove. You have to remember how much time Calvin has lost through bad injuries early in his career.
The silly comments on here are just from the same few gobby chumps, so, not to worry.:rolleyes:

Celestial Empire
14-07-2010, 04:11 PM
To be fair, you do come out with some fairly mental remarks, comments and opinions sometimes. Only sometimes, mind

Actually, I'm still waiting for someone to explain why GF's remark about Clyne as a holding midfielder is so funny. He is fast, pugnacious, biting in the tackle, great powers of recovery (would need to read the game better), decent passer, surges forward occasionally .... hell, he even looks a bit like Makelele.

EDIT: just to clarify, I'm talking about Clyne here, not GF.;)

Sussex Eagle
14-07-2010, 04:23 PM
I reckon he's got a double figure season in him, with the wind behind him.

Zohar Returns
14-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Excellent news. I think he'll have a good season this year.

adrenalin john
14-07-2010, 04:54 PM

Autumn10 South by Southwest - you would probably have to eat alot of alphabet spaghetti to get there but by no means impossible

Skid Row
14-07-2010, 11:37 PM
I agree. Pretty confident 90% of his strikes will end up 10 rows back and beyond....especially with a tail wind.

Palestinian
15-07-2010, 08:44 AM
I agree. Pretty confident 90% of his strikes will end up 10 rows back and beyond....especially with a tail wind.
To prevent this make sure we keep beans out of his diet

LuckyJ
15-07-2010, 02:26 PM
comparisons to wayne andrews just arent fair...
this guy is strong and powerful
young and extremely hardworking!....
i dnt remember wayne andrews being any of the above! i thought he was clueless!....
maybe this season calvin will be a little more prolific and then these comparisons should stop once and for all.

definitely deserves another deal if for nothing else then for his ratio of headers won to those lost.

cpfck1llz
15-07-2010, 05:09 PM
crap player not set for championship get rid of him

CPFC_DAVE77
15-07-2010, 05:12 PM
crap player not set for championship get rid of him

Hillsbrough hero, short memory.

andy m
15-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Actually, I'm still waiting for someone to explain why GF's remark about Clyne as a holding midfielder is so funny. He is fast, pugnacious, biting in the tackle, great powers of recovery (would need to read the game better), decent passer, surges forward occasionally .... hell, he even looks a bit like Makelele.

EDIT: just to clarify, I'm talking about Clyne here, not GF.;)

As you point out his reading of the game is poor, and he is very small. I think he's a cracking player, but he'd be bullied out of a game by an imposing central midfielder. Put him against a quality winger (like v. Villa) and he'll mark him out of the game.

macstar
15-07-2010, 05:28 PM
goal scoring striker required URGENTLY!!!

macstar
15-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Hillsbrough hero, short memory.

could ve been sent off after the first few minutes, and he missed a sitter.

not much of a hero!

Eagleder
15-07-2010, 05:37 PM
No disrespect and not to be too negative but why would we want to resign a centre forward who can not he a barn door at 5m? He never looked like scoring last season and in my opinion he is a mile away from the standard required in the Championship.:confused:

PauLo
15-07-2010, 05:37 PM
could ve been sent off after the first few minutes, and he missed a sitter.

not much of a hero!

By that logic, Speroni isn't a hero either because he let in two goals :rolleyes:

Calvin will come good.

pauldrulez
15-07-2010, 05:53 PM
No disrespect and not to be too negative but why would we want to resign a centre forward who can not he a barn door at 5m? He never looked like scoring last season and in my opinion he is a mile away from the standard required in the Championship.:confused:
Never looked like scoring? He scored twice.

And had some quality performances in the last 2 months of the season.

ianace
15-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Whilst I love the commitment of the guy, he is brave as a lion. I can't agree with your comments regarding his shooting. It is the worst I have ever seen from a player & that includes defenders! Luton fans I know couldn't believe he was coming up divisions as he couldn't score for them & thought he would go non league.

Saying that, were not flush, he tries hard & true Palace fans apreciate triers, just don't know how you improve his shooting???

jobiinthelastmi
15-07-2010, 07:34 PM
We can't afford not to sign him on. We are desperatly short of strikers.

The Omen
15-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm all for being positive, but these are Andrew's career stats:

Played: 129
Goals: 11

And most of that was played at a lower level than the Championship. Anyone who thinks he is going to score 10 or more goals next season are either off their head or have severely hit it at some point.

He will do a job coming off the bench, but I really hope we are not relying on him to score goals - it could be a very, very difficult season for us if we do.

Celestial Empire
15-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Andrew (Johnson)
played 104 goals 13, (up to 2002)

rhynoeagle
16-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Andrew (Johnson)
played 104 goals 13, (up to 2002)

Almost a very very good point. But CA played the majority at lower league. AJ was in and around the prem - It's obviously slightly harderm and his record is still better. :p

I really hope CA can do it this year, but i stuggle to see that he will.

NathanCPFCD
16-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Almost a very very good point. But CA played the majority at lower league. AJ was in and around the prem - It's obviously slightly harderm and his record is still better. :p

But I don't think his point is that Calvin Andrew could be as good as AJ because we all know that's not true. But rather he hasn't yet fulfilled his potential, just as AJ hadn't in 2002. Calvin still has every chance to become a profilic scorer in the championship whereas AJ has become a (maybe not so prolific) scorer in the prem.

nathe
16-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Towards the end of the season his all round game improved and he looked more comfortable. I have a sneaky feeling he will be an important player for us this season.

andy m
16-07-2010, 06:25 PM
I think he was alright towards the end of the season and to be honest I'd be a little disappointed if we let him go - his place in the squad won't be taken by anybody better given the market we're looking at, and it would probably cost us more. Resigning Andrew is the sensible thing to do, even if not the most exciting.

Celestial Empire
16-07-2010, 06:42 PM

All AJ's games with Brum were in Div1 (Champs now).
1998/99 3 league, 2 cup No goals.
1999/2000 25 league 1 goal, 5 cup 1 goal.
2000/2001 34 league 4 goals, 7 cup 3 goals.
2001/2002 25 league 3 goals, 3 cup 1 goal.

AJ's breakthrough season was second half of 2002/2003.

I'm not saying that Calvin will suddenly score 30 goals like SJ, just that it's perfectly feasible that he will start to score regularly.

My point is that it is common for strikers to take time to find their feet and start scoring (Wright was the same). It is really dumb to assess young, inexperienced strikers on their past goal scoring record.

PALACEFAN
16-07-2010, 07:00 PM

I'm not saying that Calvin will suddenly score 30 goals like SJ, just that it's perfectly feasible that he will start to score regularly.

My point is that it is common for strikers to take time to find their feet and start scoring (Wright was the same). It is really dumb to assess young, inexperienced strikers on their past goal scoring record.

Completely. It happends time and time again, but it seems some people don't learn. And some are just stat obsessed.

dufski13
16-07-2010, 10:32 PM

Thanks for making the point I wanted to. Aj was great once he got going, but in Aj's first season with us I remember thinking what a great little player he was but he was never going to score many, & we should play him out wide !

dufski13
16-07-2010, 10:33 PM
oh & for what it's worth I'm glad that Andrew is resigning.

FromSelhurst
16-07-2010, 10:46 PM
i like him for his effort, watford away etc, but he wont ever score enough goals.

decent back up, possibly.

Stigma
16-07-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm all for being positive, but these are Andrew's career stats:

Played: 129
Goals: 11

And most of that was played at a lower level than the Championship. Anyone who thinks he is going to score 10 or more goals next season are either off their head or have severely hit it at some point.

He will do a job coming off the bench, but I really hope we are not relying on him to score goals - it could be a very, very difficult season for us if we do.

Spot on:(

Jon Thompson
16-07-2010, 10:58 PM
oh & for what it's worth I'm glad that Andrew is resigning.

"resigning" so is he staying on or quitting?..... ;)

gold76
17-07-2010, 08:04 AM
As much as Alan Lee is much loved for his endeavour, he's not a 90 minute man.
That's where Calvin comes in, an uncompromising big fella who will hold the ball up & win headers for the last 20 mins.

We need him to sign AND a nippy lively youngster with a pit of pace to play alongside (probably premier league loan)

cpfcben
17-07-2010, 08:19 AM
I am big fan of Calvin. He had some great games for palace last year when he is was played in his right position. Preston at home and Watford away spring to mind.

bigend1
17-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Maybe (probably) tinted specs, maybe its something that cant be taught.. but hope dougie could just show mr Andrews a little composure.. calm in front of goal and he could be good. Failing that and he could be our heskey.

actually a very big season for him really, thinking about it, i shall watch with more interest...

Crunchie
17-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks for making the point I wanted to. Aj was great once he got going, but in Aj's first season with us I remember thinking what a great little player he was but he was never going to score many, & we should play him out wide !

Yep CE is right all of AJ games for Brum were in the championship, most a sub I would have thought.

When AJ came on the scene, i was thinking, he got into great positions with his pace, but his first touch let him down.

Once he got that sorted he was away, with Shipp's help!, keeping Dougie out of the starting 11.

He obviously won't get to AJ's level, but I am sure Andrew could improve if he could get his finishing sorted, but will be a good squad player nevertheless.

Freddy Kurz
17-07-2010, 09:32 AM
A factor which seems to have been almost universally forgotten on this thread
is the way Andrew battled for almost a year to overcome a career threatening
knee injury while on loan at Brighton, and was highly praised for the hard work
he put in during rehabilitation to bring himself back into match fitness &
contention again as a member of the first-team.

This player has proved that he has the mental strength to want to continue
his career as a professional footballer, and we should now give him the chance
to develop his skills and ability in the first-team squad, before seeking, prema-
turely, to write him off.

Sleeping Giant
17-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Completely underwhelmed. I'm as excited as i was when we bought Premiership Freddie Sears, who had no sort of record of scoring goals at 1st team professional level whatsoever. Chris Armstrong was an exception to the rule and those will occasionally come along but really, save your excitement for genuine evidence of quality.

Cleon
17-07-2010, 12:49 PM
I would be very happy to see Andrew sign a new contract. I think he plays well generally, without having the reward to show for it. He knows that this is his best chance for success, and he proved he had the drive with his fight to get back from injury. He did very well when given a run in thet eam in the latter half of last season, and he deserves his chance - it's here and now....

wedgetail
17-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Running around, falling over and bumping into the opposition dos not equal playing well.

lewisham eagle
17-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Played well today in my opinion won a fair amount of flick ons and looked more dangerous than lee in first half.

Il Padrino
18-07-2010, 04:12 PM

Bruce dyer scored 37 goals in 135 games for us, he was magic :cool:

917L
19-07-2010, 07:29 AM
His finishing is not too bad either - he seems to get most on target (unlike Bruce Dyer):

He finishing is woeful, thats why he doesnt score many goals

And whilst its fashionable to decry Bruce Dyer on here, he was several rungs above Andrew on pretty much every level

Doesnt mean he cant be a useful squad player but truly he isnt good enough to be first choice up front

Owngoal
19-07-2010, 07:44 AM

And whilst its fashionable to decry Bruce Dyer on here, he was several rungs above Andrew on pretty much every level

Doesnt mean he cant be a useful squad player but truly he isnt good enough to be first choice up front
Spot on. Really should be looking for somebody better but he must be fairly cheap compared to what is available out there. Or does Dougie think he can turn him around 'goal' wise?

Stigma
19-07-2010, 07:55 AM

Spot on yeah..Don't think it is fair to mention him in the same breath as Dyer.
Bruce Dyer certainly had a better goal ratio then him:
37/135: 0.27% goal ratio pr match vs 11/129: 0.08 goal ratio pr match.

Dal
19-07-2010, 08:04 AM
I like Andrew, he's wholehearted and will run all day for you.

But he has absolutely no goal threat.

GreatGonzo
19-07-2010, 08:08 AM

It may click but Andrew had just 18 shots at goal in the league last season, and only 6 of them were on target. That was from 13 starts and 14 sub appearances. He scored just 1 goal and assisted just once as well.

Much like Scannell he has a lot to prove, however Sean had 17 shots of which 7 were on target, from 11 starts and 15 sub appearances, scored twice and assisted 3 goals.

Both still quite young and for both it may well still happen but they both certainly need to improve and maybe 4-4-2 will help them.

To say his finishing is good and he usually hits the target though is factually inaccurate.

Woosie
19-07-2010, 08:36 AM
It may click but Andrew had just 18 shots at goal in the league last season, and only 6 of them were on target. That was from 13 starts and 14 sub appearances. He scored just 1 goal and assisted just once as well.

Much like Scannell he has a lot to prove, however Sean had 17 shots of which 7 were on target, from 11 starts and 15 sub appearances, scored twice and assisted 3 goals.

Both still quite young and for both it may well still happen but they both certainly need to improve and maybe 4-4-2 will help them.

To say his finishing is good and he usually hits the target though is factually inaccurate.

Scannell's being played as a winger though, so it makes Andrew look even worse. Like it has been said Calvin Andrew's finishing is woeful. I would love for him to get a run of games and score some goals, but I can't see either of those two things happening.

kolinkins
19-07-2010, 09:00 AM

Agreed.

On Saturday, we saw him like he always is:

- wins headers that go nowhere

- no conviction in front of goal

- he's a page behind his team-mates - he has no anticiption. Not sure that can be coached

- him working hard is a myth. If you want to see hard work, watch Alan Lee. Andrew puts in a bout half the shift Lee does.

Watching Andrew play makes me appreciate Lee more.

However, as a Palace player and a player Burley wants to keep, he has my 100% backing. He has the size, pace and power - so if he does happen to click, he'll be a very useful player. But I will not hold out hope. He's a useful squad player - someone to bring on when Lee is tired, and no more than that at the moment.

adrenalin john
19-07-2010, 09:22 AM
I really like Andrew, he works hard has pace, power and height.

But it is true that at times he is a little 'poulet-sans-tete' and does not have it in front of goal.

I am a fan but that finish on Saturday (in a mere friendly) when he had time and options reminded me that he is no natural finisher (doesn't mean it wont come) He didn't look up he just snatched at it as soon as possible - that's fear.

GreatGonzo
19-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Scannell's being played as a winger though, so it makes Andrew look even worse. Like it has been said Calvin Andrew's finishing is woeful. I would love for him to get a run of games and score some goals, but I can't see either of those two things happening.

Andrew has also been played wider a lot, but has had more opportunities down the middle. Certainly both will benefit IMO from have 2 guys through the middle, extra support and more opportunities to get a sight of goal.

Confidence will also of course be key as it is with any striker.

HARRY MONK
19-07-2010, 09:34 AM
confirmed contract signed

nickiverson
19-07-2010, 09:36 AM
At the end of the chelsea match, i saw dougie with calvin and it looked like he was giving him some tips, so maybe he believes he can teach him a thing or two and make him score

hamge
19-07-2010, 10:03 AM
confirmed contract signed

Again. You got it from here

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/sport/8279154.Price_set_to_sign_on_at_Palace/

gold76
19-07-2010, 06:12 PM
I hope he is afforded a little patience & time by the fans this season

stevek
19-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Agreed.

On Saturday, we saw him like he always is:

- wins headers that go nowhere

- no conviction in front of goal

- he's a page behind his team-mates - he has no anticiption. Not sure that can be coached

- him working hard is a myth. If you want to see hard work, watch Alan Lee. Andrew puts in a bout half the shift Lee does.

Watching Andrew play makes me appreciate Lee more.

However, as a Palace player and a player Burley wants to keep, he has my 100% backing. He has the size, pace and power - so if he does happen to click, he'll be a very useful player. But I will not hold out hope. He's a useful squad player - someone to bring on when Lee is tired, and no more than that at the moment.

On your points:

headers - I think this is more down to the lack of a quick forward alongside him, and Alan Lee suffers from exactly the same problem.

no conviction in front of goal - agreed

no anticipation - I think that's harsh, though it could be better.

working hard - I'm not sure he works harder than Lee, but he does work hard and he is more mobile than Lee so can cover more ground.

ScottHooky
19-07-2010, 06:43 PM
I hope he is afforded a little patience & time by the fans this season
Spot on. I thought he was probably one of the worst Palace players I'd ever seen last season but the later performances made me warm to him. He has a long way to go in terms of development & the injury would not have helped but it's a new dawn at Selhurst & any player in red & blue demands our support. At the very least if he is part of a healthy sized squad it adds competition for places. Any coincidence that better performances came with the Doog arriving? More tuition to come.....

eagle-leg
19-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Again. You got it from here

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/sport/8279154.Price_set_to_sign_on_at_Palace/

Beat you to it huh! :)

hamge
19-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Beat you to it huh! :)
:( Yeah ;)

kolinkins
20-07-2010, 09:37 AM
On your points:

headers - I think this is more down to the lack of a quick forward alongside him, and Alan Lee suffers from exactly the same problem.

no conviction in front of goal - agreed

no anticipation - I think that's harsh, though it could be better.

working hard - I'm not sure he works harder than Lee, but he does work hard and he is more mobile than Lee so can cover more ground.

Headers - Lee uses them better - he doesnt always flick on, he sometimes flicks back or at least uses the ball better. Andrew only knows 1 way, but that will come.

Conviction - glad we agree!

Anticipation - not harsh at all. Watch him play - he is always reacting rather that anticipating where the ball will go. He's slow onto it.Example from Saturday - Morgan put through a delicious through ball, but you could see Andrew not even thinking that the ball will not come to his feet. Like I said, you cannot coach this - and it's probably what will stop him being a good striker.

A useful squad player, worth more than the £30k or whatever we paid for him. Worth having, not worth relying on.

sydnsteve
20-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Not even sure he is worth having TBH. Love to be proved wrong, however.