PDA

View Full Version : England Squad vs Italy

pete eagle
24-03-2002, 02:19 AM
the full squad

Goalkeepers: Wright (Arsenal), Martyn (Leeds), James (West Ham).

Defenders: Campbell, A Cole (Arsenal), G Neville, P Neville (Manchester United); Mills, Ferdinand (Leeds), Ehiogu, Southgate (Middlesbrough), Bridge (Southampton), King (Spurs).

Midfielders: Beckham, Butt, Scholes (Manchester United), Cole, Sinclair (West Ham), Lampard (Chelsea), Dyer (Newcastle), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich).

Forwards: Heskey, Owen (Liverpool), Sheringham (Spurs), Vassell (Aston Villa), Fowler (Leeds).

OOCO
24-03-2002, 06:51 PM
No Woodgate. What a discrace.

Ouch that Hurt!
24-03-2002, 06:52 PM
No dictionary. What a disgrace!

No place for Austin I see again. Not sure whats happening there.

Steve in Phoenix
24-03-2002, 06:54 PM
When is the game?

And why is P Neville still being called up? If he didnt play for Man U and have a famous brother, he'd be nowhere near the squad.

Ouch that Hurt!
24-03-2002, 06:56 PM
Mores the question why is Nicky Butt still allowed near a football pitch? He is the second worst england player ever after Keith Curle (and maybe Carlton Palmer).

OOCO
24-03-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Ouch that Hurt!
No dictionary. What a disgrace!

No place for Austin I see again. Not sure whats happening there.

Disgrace. Feck me. :rolleyes:

cpfc_connection
24-03-2002, 07:41 PM
Ouch that Hurt! : "Mores the question why is Nicky Butt still allowed near a football pitch? He is the second worst england player ever after Keith Curle (and maybe Carlton Palmer)."

i agree with this sentiment entirely..nicky butt is crap...how anyone thinks this guy is a quality player is mind boggling :eek: i put him in the same category as parlour at arsenal....absolute crap!

LLCOOLSTEVE
24-03-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_connection

i agree with this sentiment entirely..nicky butt is crap...how anyone thinks this guy is a quality player is mind boggling :eek: i put him in the same category as parlour at arsenal....absolute crap!

Yeh obviously crap, :rolleyes:

Butt sometimes keeps Veron out the team and Parlour is a very underrated player........

24-03-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE

Yeh obviously crap, :rolleyes:

Butt sometimes keeps Veron out the team and Parlour is a very underrated player........

Agreed! Both are quality palyers. Parlour plays excellently alongside Viera and Butt always plays well whenever called on at Man U an excellent stand in for Gerrard for England if we need him. Id quite like to see Hargreeves or Mills at right back instead of Phil Neville.

hellsbells
24-03-2002, 09:33 PM
Gerrard will be withdrawing after injury today I expect

pete eagle
24-03-2002, 09:44 PM
Is P.neville just there to keep gary company.

For someone who plays a few games a season he gets into the England squad on a regular basis. I would far prefer to see someone like Carragher. We dont even need him anyway with four full backs in the squad.

Useless turd he really is. The only good thing is that when both are playing and an opposing player runs through, when you see the replay, both Nevilles are playing him onside

hellsbells
24-03-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
Is P.neville just there to keep gary company.

For someone who plays a few games a season he gets into the England squad on a regular basis. I would far prefer to see someone like Carragher. We dont even need him anyway with four full backs in the squad.

Useless turd he really is. The only good thing is that when both are playing and an opposing player runs through, when you see the replay, both Nevilles are playing him onside

110% agree.

Although I agree what Woodgate and Bowyer were involved in was appauling, since Woodgate has been cleared (I think??) shouldn't he be given a chance?

Ouch that Hurt!
24-03-2002, 10:21 PM
Woodgate was charged!!!!

With affray.

Butt is crap and anyone who disagrees can poo off.

TAK
25-03-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by hellsbells

Although I agree what Woodgate and Bowyer were involved in was appauling, since Woodgate has been cleared (I think??) shouldn't he be given a chance?

As said above Woodgate was charged with affray and received 200 hours community service and Bowyer discharged, it doesn't mean he didn't do it they just weren't able to prove it, especially after the first miss-trial.

Anyone who is in the World Cup squad isn't just there as a player but as a representitive of this country and sensibly I think that it was decided that neither of these two could be seen as positive adverts for England.

Besides if Woodgate was a member of the England supporters club, he'd be chucked out and stopped from going to the world cup so why any different for this little yob?

glaziers fan
25-03-2002, 07:31 PM
Why is Gary Neville there?! I dont think that either nevill shud be going, let alone Butt, Southgate etc! How about Matt Jansen? He's better than Vassell, and he has a left foot! What about Richards? I'd give King, JOE Cole, and Carrick a proper chance to impress, and I'd like to see Dyer give a chance. I really think we shud be plaing 3-5-2 though. That system is so underrated!

AJ
25-03-2002, 07:43 PM
Nicky Butt is not crap. I would love to see one of our players give half of what he does in a match.
As to the Nevilles. England will NEVER get near the WC Final with those two, well at least Phil in the team.
England achilles heel is the defence and goalkeepers. They are just not World Class standard, as a unit.
I have never been 100% sure of David Seaman, as he is a little too stagnant in goal. Not sure on Wright though. Nigel Martyn, although, an ex-Palace, things just do not seem to go well for England when he plays. Wasn't Greece, the last game he started?
For some reason, Englands crop of "usual" defenders seem a bit soft and lame and it is an area the nation is lacking, again, remember the Greece game. I am glad to see King of Spurs get a call, as, I think he is on the verge of being a good defender.

Matt Jensan it just not good enough for England, yet. I like him a lot better than most of those chosen, but, his workrate and goal-rate is not quite there yet.

hellsbells
25-03-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by TAK

As said above Woodgate was charged with affray and received 200 hours community service and Bowyer discharged, it doesn't mean he didn't do it they just weren't able to prove it, especially after the first miss-trial.

Anyone who is in the World Cup squad isn't just there as a player but as a representitive of this country and sensibly I think that it was decided that neither of these two could be seen as positive adverts for England.

Besides if Woodgate was a member of the England supporters club, he'd be chucked out and stopped from going to the world cup so why any different for this little yob?

I stand corrected, for some reason I thought he was cleared.

Very good point that footballers should be treated no differently than the supporters who are also representing our country in Japan and South Korea.

Daniel_Nash
25-03-2002, 10:52 PM
As always, the English FA over react.

Players like Edgar Davids, Ronald de Boer, Alvaro Recoba, Fernando Couto, and Jaap Stam have all had problems with illegal substance or passport irregularities and have come back and play for their country when they have served their ban.

Is there really a difference between fighting and drug abuse or having a dodgy passport?

TAK
25-03-2002, 10:59 PM
I don't think morally there is much of a difference but who says we should go down to their level? Would you want a drug cheat to represent your country in one of the worlds great sporting events?

For once I'm proud of the FA for making a stand.

Daniel_Nash
25-03-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by TAK
I don't think morally there is much of a difference but who says we should go down to their level? Would you want a drug cheat to represent your country in one of the worlds great sporting events?

For once I'm proud of the FA for making a stand.

Not really, but if they aren't going to keep the player out then why should any other country?

I do think it is good that the FA have said so before the squad had to be announced for the World Cup. Not really sure how i feel over it, but i do think they are over reacting by keeping him from having a chance of the World Cup.

pete eagle
26-03-2002, 01:13 AM
one thing people tend to overlook about the England vs Greece game is that Nigel Martyn made two world-class saves to keep us in the game.

As for Ledley King, he is a reasonable defender and in time can become a top-class one but at the moment he couldn't play well to save his life