PDA

View Full Version : Departures today

rumblefish
26-03-2002, 04:47 AM
Probably posted somewhere else but David Woozley and Richard Howell left CPFC today and Richard Harris is at Wycombe after scoring a hat-trick against them last week.

No more long throws then...

Gazza2
26-03-2002, 01:23 PM
No fee for any of them then?

Adrian
26-03-2002, 01:29 PM
Didn't know about Woozley: where's he gone then?

cpfcben
26-03-2002, 03:40 PM
they r all ppppppppppppppoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Steve H
26-03-2002, 03:54 PM
I never understood why Dave Woozley had to go - he was really impressive at centre-back a few seasons ago (under Coppell), but as soon as we came out of administration, he disappeared into the reserves, never to be seen again. What happened?

brighton_eagle
26-03-2002, 04:06 PM
he broke his leg i think,.....

Daddy Long
26-03-2002, 04:09 PM
Be interested to see who's signed Howell. Also saw that Warren has joined Reading on trial...thats one that could come back to bite us on the arse next season.

Benzhiyi
26-03-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by rumblefish
Probably posted somewhere else but David Woozley and Richard Howell left CPFC today and Richard Harris is at Wycombe after scoring a hat-trick against them last week.

Liked Woozley a lot, and Al Russell was Howell's biggest fan - am sure he'll have something to say! I can't believe that he was never given a chance, I've never rated Smith as a right back and am sad that a player so highly thought of by reserve team watchers at least has been ignored and then released.

Best of luck to all three.

Latvian Eagle
26-03-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi

Liked Woozley a lot, and Al Russell was Howell's biggest fan - am sure he'll have something to say! I can't believe that he was never given a chance, I've never rated Smith as a right back and am sad that a player so highly thought of by reserve team watchers at least has been ignored and then released.

Best of luck to all three.

This is really starting to piss me off. I can understand getting rid of the likes of Woozley, Harris, Carlisle etc. But not Gooding, Ryan Williams and Howell. They are only 19, I mean they should be given a chance before we discard them into obscurity. Howell is the one that really upsets me. If Gooding weren't any good then why was he on the bench against the scum on boxing day :sob:

arussell
26-03-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Liked Woozley a lot, and Al Russell was Howell's biggest fan

:( :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

I've been finding out lately that there seems to be too much politics around behind the scenes. It seems your face has to "fit" at the moment.

Very sad day for the club when the most promising reserve player is let go and our policy just seems to be to buy players in instead ....

Jimbo ?
27-03-2002, 01:43 AM

still got the ginger scot!!!

AJ
27-03-2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by arussell

:( :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

I've been finding out lately that there seems to be too much politics around behind the scenes. It seems your face has to "fit" at the moment.

Very sad day for the club when the most promising reserve player is let go and our policy just seems to be to buy players in instead ....

I am in total agreement with you here. It is noticable that the most successful British team of the past few years, MU, still has a large number of their former youth players, still in the First Team.
I do believe whole heartedly, that the road to success needs to be home grown. Chelsea and Middlesboro are good examples of trying to buy success.

hughff
27-03-2002, 04:38 AM
Good luck to all of them. I agree that it seems a pity that we are not able or willing to develop our youngsters, especially as we used to be so good at it. The last ones to break through were Morrison and Mullins and that's too long ago now.

Dartford Lad
27-03-2002, 03:02 PM
David Woozley has joined Torquay until the end of the 2004 season and Andrew Martin has joined till the end of the season with Torquay.

Gary Hateley has joined Telford in the conference.

27-03-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle

This is really starting to piss me off. I can understand getting rid of the likes of Woozley, Harris, Carlisle etc. But not Gooding, Ryan Williams and Howell. They are only 19, I mean they should be given a chance before we discard them into obscurity. Howell is the one that really upsets me. If Gooding weren't any good then why was he on the bench against the scum on boxing day :sob:

In answer to your last question, with an accumulation of major injuries and suspensions Palace's First-team squad was down to the bare bones. The team v Millwall was Kolinko, Smith, Symons (injured in the first half), Edwards, Hopkin, Berhalter, Riihilahti, Benjamin, Kirovski, Morrison, Gray. Subs: Thomson(for Kirovski), Harrison(for Symons), Gooding(for Smith), Carasso and Kabba. Having watched the Academy U19's regularly, I would say there are probably more skilful and physically stronger players coming through than Ryan Williams and Scott Gooding. Howell to me is a border-line case, which wasn't helped by his injury in the "friendly" against Skonta Riga. Had he gone out on loan at that time instead of being on the treatment table, who knows what his future may have been with CPFC?

arussell
27-03-2002, 03:40 PM
I don't view that as an excuse Freddy - since he's come back, and in the last several games he's played in, his form has not suffered and he has played as well as before.

I've argued for a long long time that Palace should cultivate more of their own youth players - not only is it good sense in the long term for the club, but it adds up financially as well. Watford have done it - as have Ipswich, Spurs and Chelsea. Just look at how we kept our heads above water during administration with the young players - and again look how well considering the situation, that Forest have also done.

I am in agreement with a large number of the names that have been let go - but not in the case of Woozley, Evans, Boardman or Howell.

RednBlue
27-03-2002, 04:18 PM
In the case of David Woozley he left because he wants regular first team football and it was quite clear to him that he no
longer featured in Palace's plans. He has quite a few Palace players with him at Torquay - SeanHankin, Andy Martin. He say's there's a real buzz down there.
Good luck to him - I for one will be sorry he's going but I don't blame him.

rumblefish
27-03-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle

Gooding's departure has nothing to do with football if it happens.

Dartford Lad
27-03-2002, 05:34 PM

Gooding's departure has nothing to do with football if it happens.

I was also led to believe this but didn't want to mention to much in case I was shot down in flames again! :rolleyes:

Daddy Long
27-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Is he the one that is likely to be done for slapping a girl?

Latvian Eagle
27-03-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Is he the one that is likely to be done for slapping a girl?

I do believe that is the case. However we shall leave this buried as none of know what really happened. ;)

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
27-03-2002, 07:48 PM
I can understand leting a number of these players go but losing Howell is very frustrating. Admittedly I've only watched him play in a few (4?) reserve games but he certainly looked a tidy player. To release him without even giving the guy a try does seem to be a big mistake to me.